Markov scores shootout winner in fantasy win over Hurricanes

Andrei Markov

Suffering Canadiens withdrawal? The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t. Here’s how things might have looked in Monday night’s game between the Canadiens and the Carolina Hurricanes at the PNC Arena.

RALEIGH — Andrei Markov’s shootout goal was the difference Monday night as the Canadiens defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 at the PNC Arena.

“I fool the goaltenders because I don’t have any moves,” said the veteran defenceman. “I just shoot the puck.”

Second-period goals by Tomas Plekanec and David Desharnais gave the Canadiens 2-1 lead, but Jussi Jokinen forced overtime when he scored his second goal of the game at 17:31 of the third period. Jokinen had opened the scoring at 6:54 of the first period.

Plekanec got that one back when he scored off a scramble in front of the net after Cam Ward made saves on Brian Gionta and Max Pacioretty.

Desharnais, who was making only his second start since missing two weeks with an abdominal strain, started on the third line with Travis Moen and Brandon Prust, and the trio clicked as they produced a go-ahead goal at 13:17.

“The idea was to ease him back into the lineup,” head coach Michel Therrien said of Desharnais. “By the end of the game, we were using him on the power play and as a penalty-killer. I think we were all surprised when we saw that he played over 20 minutes.”

Plekanec was the fist Canadien in the shootout and he gave Montreal a 1-0 lead when he flipped a backhand into the top corner, but that was immediately matched by Jeff Skinner. Carey Price stopped brothers Eric and Jordan Staal to force the shootout to a fourth round and Markov connected with a 15-foot wrister. Price sealed the deal when he forced Alexander Semin to shoot wide.

The win gave the Canadiens a 3-2-1 record on their holiday road trip and they moved back into seventh place in the Eastern Conference standings.

phickey@montrealgazette.com

1. Haborama says:

let’s take a poll, what do y’all think that Gally’s maximum potential is as an NHL player??

2. Habs64 says:

Rumours that 4 more teams will make the playoffs.

3. Bripro says:

I have to say, I haven’t had a chance to watch much of the WJC, but I have seen Gally quite a bit.
    I don’t see how anyone can be un-inspired by a young man who missed a complete year, yet shows that he’s among the best out there.
    He hasn’t hit the back of the net consistently, but I agree with most here, Hously is the one who needs some tweaking. He’s made many mistakes, and has a hard time in his line match-ups.
    Gally’s still a kid, and yet plays very composed.
    I’m thrilled with our 3rd pick, and convinced that he’s the real deal. He’ll be the best we’ve had in a very long time.

• 24 Cups says:

I think it’s laughable that people expect too much from Galchenyuk. As you stated, he’s only 18 and has just one year of junior under his belt (which is also why it’s laughable when people say he should play all 48 games for the Habs this year). This tournament has long been viewed as a 19 year old competition. Same goes for Yakupov. Back in June, he was the undeniable concensus pick for #1 overall. Now he’s a disappointing failure. I can’t help but laugh at that one, too.

Speaking of laughable, that’s just what a shootout is when you hype a tournament such as this. There are only five playoff games involved, so is it too much of a stretch to play sudden-death overtime?

A countah offah! We lawyahs (I’m ah lawyah) call it a countah offah.

5. habsfan0 says:

Talks have broken off..temporarily.

Sounds like Bettman really shouldn’t have ordered the extra spicy Donair last night. Hopefully he gets everything out shortly and the meetings can resume.

• habsfan0 says:

If the season DOES resume in around 2 weeks, I think the NHL will resort to some type of gimmick to attract fans back. While it’s too late to implement any rule change, I’d like to see home teams wear white, visiting teams wear dark colours. Not sure how that in itself would attract fans,particularly those of the casual variety,but it’s better than nothing.

• Cal says:

As a money saving measure, the home team doesn’t wear a uniform. Think of the laundered money savings!

• habsfan0 says:

When MLB resumed play after the 1994 work stoppage, I knew they would employ some sort of gimmick to attract fans back. That turned out to be inter league play, which was fine by me as I got to see the Expos play at the Skydome. Trouble is, that gimmick turned out to be a long term occurence which,IMHO,should be abolished as it detracts from the allure of the World Series and affects pennant races in both leagues.

• Timo says:

If it were a LHL I’d say go for it. No unies.

• habsfan0 says:

Or maybe the home team would wear the same outfit that Sacha Baron Cohen wore in Borat. That would definitely raise some eyebrows,Timo.

• Bripro says:

Timo, With Laurie Graham as captain …. ;)

• knob says:

There is talk that each conference would have 2 wild card teams make the playoffs, bringing the total number of playoff teams to 10.

Maybe they could go way over the top and have referees enforce the rulebook equally for all teams during this shortened season. That would be quite the feat indeed! As a bonus they could also address equipment changes in order to help prevent concussions. Would be amazing if every player wasn’t dressed as a Roman Gladiator with zero fear to go flying into corners to hit the opponent knowing that even if he misses the opponent his equipment will absorb much of the hit.

One of the biggest current problems I feel is that the current equipment has the players feeling almost superman like and unafraid of contact. In the older days if a player missed a check and hit the boards, the pain was much greater. In fact a real solid check to the oppenent would result in both feeling it.

6. ooder says:

So I am watching russia vs Switzerland recast and woe. Russia is so undisciplined and uncordinated. Absolutely no team play or coordination.
    Riga sorry for harping on you, bang on. This team is crap. Especially compared to the wjc team of 2 years ago
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

7. Habfan10912 says:

Players at CBA mtgs today: Adams, Boyes, Campoli, Darche, DiPietro, Doan, Ference, Hainsey, Meters, Parros, St. Louis, Westgarth

8. Although Galchenyuk is tied for 3rd in scoring, most of his points have been broken play assists or goals that don’t make a difference in the game. He also seems to lack motivation on the ice, for the most part, Galchenyuk is coasting and doesn’t ever seem to reach top speed. On the other hand, he doesn’t get much ice-time ( compared to #25 Trocheck, who is on the 4th line), so he doesn’t have much time to prove himself except for on the PP. But even with all of this, he’s tied for the most points on the U.S team.
    Why wouldn’t Phil Housley consider putting him in center, where he is naturally more comfortable? I’m not sure he’s on the best terms with Housley…

Jagger – Habs7.com

• Kooch7800 says:

Housley isn’t using him correctly in my opinion.

Galy isn’t playing that bad. He isn’t on their top line. Don’t worry he will be just fine.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Gotta love how quick some of the fanbase can turn or change their opinions.

I will say this, I was hopeful that MB would have had the stones to take Grigorenko with the 3rd pick if indeed Galchenyuk had not been available.

Buffalo I believe will reap great rewards for all the negative Russian BS crap which circulated predraft thus lowering Grigorenko in the rankings.

I am very very happy we got Galchenyuk.

• Kooch7800 says:

Gally is a long term gamer and I agree if he wasn’t around Grigs would have been a good option. I think Buffalo has gotten better with the addition of Hodgson as well. That kid will be decent

I do hope though that Gally only gets 9 games up this year if the league resumes. I would rather him really dominate in Sarnia and then come into camp next summer. This current habs team isn’t a real threat for the cup so why rush things

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Grigorenko’s stock fell because he is considered soft nothing to do with his nationality. It didn’t hurt Yakupov. We made the right pick. Size is obviously a good thing in today’s NHL. If Grigs had a little grit he would have gone top five. That said it is sad to see all the undersized but immensely talented smaller players never make it.

• Timo says:

Well, if the hype about him is true, lets hope Housley continues to not use him correctly.

• knob says:

Don’t worry about Alex….I get to see him live (I live in Sarnia). IMHO, Alex has a world class shot, has vision, can make pretty good passes, and goes into the corners. I however, don’t find him all that fast of a skater. If we have a NHL season, I think that there is a good chance that he makes the Habs club this year (subject to cap implications).

9. Mavid says:

I say maybe, I hope so..the glass is half full for me..

10. Habfan29 says:

I cannot believe that shawn campbell (Sp) this morning on Team 690 said that Galchenyuk is a bust at the tournament and that looking back we should have drafted Grigerinko? WTF what tournment is he watching or am I watching with rose coloured glasses but the lst time I checked Galchenyuk was 3rd in scoring. How many hab fans would want a do over and select Grigerinko instead? Not me Galchenyuk has looked pretty good.

• Haborama says:

I think both players have stunk it up pretty bad to be honest, Galchenyuk looks AK-46 lite at times and Grigorenko has been invisible.

• habstrinifan says:

I am not sure that Galchenyuk has performed A-1 but he hasnt looked like as much of a ‘bust’ as Yakupov. I think we have to be realistic though in our expectations, and think more long term than we may have been.

• wildwilly says:

I think anyone who declares either of the players a “bust” needs to keep in mind we are watching 18-year-olds, not men.

From what I see, Galchenyuk is a solid player with an excellent future. I would rather see a player blend in with the team as opposed to making individual efforts and making a mistake. For better or worse, let’s wait 5 years before deciding who was the best pick.

11. commandant says:

If the Russians “can’t win as a team” wouldn’t that same message apply to the Swiss?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I still say no season.

13. Kooch7800 says:

Well, I think we have seen Scott Gomez play his last game as a hab last year. With the new cap being lowered and the habs being over 60 and having to sign PK still he is the number one target to be gone.

There will be some interesting moves if the cap is lowered. The top players will still get big bucks but the middle line players are about to get squeezed big time. Prust and Moen are lucky they got signed when they did

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

14. Habfan10912 says:

Are people wrong in assuming since the NHLPA did not file for decertification today that it indicates the sides are close to a deal? I hope so.

———————————–

• Chuck says:

The have until midnight to file.

___________________________________________________

15. Dr.Rex says:

I am a Canadian and therefore my loyalty falls to Canada in all events except soccer of course. But most fans are a little hypocritical when it comes to their style of play. Everyone goes banana’s when the Bruins play like the thugs but when Canada does it we call it good ole fashion hockey. Honestly lets admit it we are the bullies.

WHen it comes to NHL comparisons to international hockey here is how I see it.

Canada = Boston
    USA = NYR
    Russia = Detroit
    Sweden = Vancouver
    Czechs = Chicago
    Finland = Ottawa
    Germany = Toronto

16. ooder says:

So I see a lot of people complaining about russia winning in the shootout because “they can’t win as a team”.
    Funny I dont remember this bitch fest when puck luck was on canadas side in 2009 in the wjc

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

Can’t speak for others, but I think it is more a frustration with shoot-outs in general. Always easier to tolerate things we don’t like when it goes our way. But I am not a fan of shoot-outs ending any level of hockey game. The main gist being that an individual talent contest will determine a team game result.

• ooder says:

——————I would prefer to see sudden death ot in elimination games but have no qualms with shootout in regular season games. Gived players a chance to be creative and pull off nice moves. However bitching and moaning and calling russias win cheap and lucky is stupid when you don’t call it foe yourself either. Although russia will not win this tournament becaise this years team sucks the big one

The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Timo says:

Team Russia needs Gomez up front and MAB on D.

• frontenac1 says:

Most of my life a hockey game was two points. Split for a tie.In the playoffs,you played until someone won. I don”t remember anyone complaining. Then Bettman thought the Euro style shootout would be a great way to sell the game in the U.S. as the electric puck idea didn”t work. Hey,Here”s an idea,why not just have an hour of various skills competitions instead of those tedious games?

• twilighthours says:

I only saw one person use those words, and that person is particularly… Passionate… About his country and about Russia.

• ooder says:

If he claims thay russia sucks this year I will gladly back him. No leadership at all imo. Yakupov can’t tie kuznetsovs skates when it comes to being team captain

——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

17. SmartDog says:

Happy New Year all!

Good article by Bruce Dowbiggin of the Globe about how sadly predictable this ridiculous lockout has all been – except to the owners who thought they could break the union like last time:

And I agree with what he says about who’s at fault. That “scorched earth” proposal of last summer was just an idiotic move, and the general disdain for players (and to some degree, the game itself) from the Bettman office are the kind of things that create gaps that are hard to fill. It’s not Bettman who is solely responsible for all the last games the league has faced under his management – but his basic attitude and method of operating has been the constant that has created division, not cooperation. One can only hope that the pathetic process and poor outcome (turning off fans, and lost revenues) have weakened his grip, and that of jerks like Jacobs, and the more reasonable owners have gained some power after this absurd, destructive, and completely avoidable spectacle is over.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Propwash says:

I still don’t see why they couldn’t have played under the old CBA while the union and league discuss a deal.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Kooch7800 says:

Happy New Year Smart Dog.

I agree, that Bettman isn’t solely responsible for the current situation but his actions in 2004 and some of the methodology of the owners to break the union and send bs offers and take it or leave it attitudes have really hurt the league and fans opinions.

My question is why the heck did it take as long as it did for the league to start actually negotiating? I know it is all strategy but that is pretty bad. Especially after his hissy fit on live TV back in December. Makes the NHL look mickey mouse….

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Kooch7800 says:

I think that is why they had the union vote for the disclaimer of interest to send the owners a message they are not breaking.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• SmartDog says:

I blame Bettman as well, but for setting things up in this adversarial way. It’s his league – that’s where the buck stops. It doesn’t matter who the players brought in, it’s up to him to make the puck drop.

And yeah, this is especially bad for those who are not already hockey fans. Looks unprofessional. Ridiculous.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habfan10912 says:

Happy 2013 to you and you as well Doggie. CHeers.

———————————–

So given the Habs propensity to go with Swiss D-men, do we see Eliot Antonietti in our future? He is 6’6″ and clearly still developing.

19. Cal says:

Loved how the underdogs messed with the overconfident team’s heads.
    This game will be a big lesson for the Russians. It should help them against the Swedes.

20. Mattyleg says:

Poor Swiss, SO again…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

21. krob1000 says:

Been noticing folks upset about Galchenyuk not “standing out” or Yakupov being discussed in a similar manner. I just thought I would mention that these guys are both 18 year olds in a 19 year old tournament…not just any 19 year old tournament…the best of the best. I know most if not all of you realzie that…but how many actually thought about it what it meant. Sure there is the development angle…there are the roles they are being given or not given….but most important is that it is best against the best.

How many guys “stand out” during the Olympics? That is essentially what this is …Olympics for Under 20 year olds…at an age where the years actually still matter….at an age where some are more developed physically, some more developed mentally,etc.

Then you put them onto an arena that is far wider and makes the play slower and takes a bit of the quickness element out (by quick I do not mean “speed” I mean quick hands, shiftiness in traffic, quick decision making, high iq plays in limited space/time,etc).

The fact Galchenyuk and Collberg have done as well as they have (although Collberg is used to the ice surface and tempo/style) are among the leaders as 18 year olds is great. During the US canada game where Glachenyuk did not seem to have the greatest games…I saw in him many plays and subtleties that will serve him very well in the North American game…take for instance the one 3 on 2 where he took a poor angled shot and fired it 2 feet high and wide. For him to even get that shot off at all was actually impressive…the pass was about 8 inches off the ice…in one seemingly continuous motion he knocked the puck down and pulled back and fired a rocket…yes it was high and wide….but not many guys get that shot off at all…and in the time/space limited pro game…that ability will go a long way. He had a couple of other plays in traffic where easily beats a guy and dishes…sure just the neutral zone…but in traffic…he did not play soccer….he played hockey and his “quickness” and ability to play at high speed and make plays in that mode are going to make him a star int he NHL. Yakupov has all of those same abilities….not as nice of a playmaker as Gally but more explosive.

Every time I watch the Oilers I am amazed at how often Hall gets himself into the clear on one stride….and how quickly a totally surrounded RNH or Eberle emerges from a crowd and all of the sudden the puck is on net or on a stick. Eberle like a Stamkos often gets himself into an opening and within a fraction of a second the puck is on net..and usually on target…Galchenyuk and Yakupov both have that ability.

Those are the abilities that will translate into superstar skills at the next level. Some guys have a beautiful combination of smarts, skill , quickness and then have an additional talent whereby they can not only adjust by playng quicker…but they can slow the play down…and then quickly increase the pace again and utilize their ability to catch less talented players napping for a milliseconds which translates into pasing lanes, shooting lanes,etc..

I am happy with what I see of Galchenyuk and can’t wait for his arrival…I only hope he gets to have the benefit of playing with someone of a similar skill set at some point in Montreal….because that will be magical.

Good Post Krob, helpful reminders indeed. This is why a player like Boone Jenner is so important to Team Canada, his age and physical development are ahead of the 17 and 18 year olds and therefore his presence is felt.

I too have no concerns regarding Galchenyuk as it relates to his play in this tourney. Just the same Yakupov will be an impact player for Edmonton.

Schieffle is a good example, looks very good this year, and looked somewhat lost in same tournament last year.

• mark-ID says:

Not sure if my post is one of the posts you are referring to Krob, but I just want to clarify, I think that Gally has had a good tournament. He is making the most with what he has been given. I feel like Housley is definately misusing him. May be because of his age.

I have questioned Housley’s coaching style, I am not sure how much coaching experience he has. But typically in crunch times coaches in this tournament do rely on returning players and the 19 year olds.

• krob1000 says:

The dmen do not question Housley’s coaching style lol…I have never seen a team unleash their dmen like he has. I don’t think he wants his forwards to score ..and the ones who do…no ice for you!

At work, is game still in OT? If Russia loses, what will attendance look like in both upcoming semis and final?

23. mark-ID says:

Watched the American games this season, and I gotta say as some have mentioned already…but it is definately not fun seeing the little icetime that Gally is getting. He barely got any PP time this particular game(one in which the Czech had a ton of penalties). He must have been not even one of the top 6 forwards in icetime this game.

We also know that Gally is not a hog….sometimes I wish he would carry the puck a bit more and take more shots, rather then passing the puck away every time. He is so skilled and talented. That’s my rant for this morning, not sure if you guys agree or not……

24. Mattyleg says:

Poor Swiss, OT again…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. Mattyleg says:

Happy New Year All!!
    Hope eeryone is well and happy and well stuffed with food and booze!

In other news, this Rus.- Swz game is AMAZING.

Don’t think the Swiss will do to well later on, as they don’t have a powerplay to speak of, but holy cow, they look dangerous!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Very impressed with the way the Swiss are maintaining control of the puck while holding onto the lead. No dumping it in once they hit the redline. Hope they can hang on!

• Habfan10912 says:

Happy New Year to you as well Matty. I think this tournament boils down to goaltending. Going in I thought Russia had an edge here but now I think the Canadians do. Great hockey though.

———————————–

26. Cal says:

Here’s an optimistic (?) take on the season:

27. Bim says:

Today is rampage day for me. Enough is enough! On the subject of negotiations…these are all rich guys. Some like our Geoff Molson even have other interests outside of hockey. For the most part they are smart guys. What just blows me away is just how poorly organized they all are. Did they not realize that a new season started in September and that some lengthy negotiations were about to take place. Why did they not start last March rather than August? What were they thinking? Or is it just plain true that most just don’t give a damn about hockey? Possibly the latter is true simply because they just have too much money. One last parting shot. I don’t think PK Subban should be on Sportsnet either commenting on negotiations. I think its in bad taste and his opinions should be better kept to himself because I’m sure that his views are not the only ones being considered in negotiations. There…I feel better now!

• Habfan10912 says:

Sometimes mans backs must be against the wall before he decided to move in another direction. I wish we could have started the season too but its the life if collective bargaining I guess.
      I don’t like to hear any Hab player speak not just PK. I still shudder at Cole and his comments and his hat. Oh well, hope you feel better to get that off your chest bud. CHeers.

———————————–

28. Happy New Year

If you have time to check out this facebook page please do so.

I own the Brandon Canadiens and have been trying to give them a hockey experience like no other. This is my first year coaching minor hockey and it’s very challenging but so much fun.

The kids got into the Manitoba Provincials in their last qualifying game last month. SO happy for them and really excited.

Enjoy the page, the kids really love the profiles, and I love producing them. Check out the Photoshop game pic half way down the page, you’ll get a smile for sure.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• habstrinifan says:

Thank you Shane! I will be checking the link out during my day.

• Habfan10912 says:

I don’t know anything about your coaching technique but I love your taste in uniforms. CHeers and Happy 2013 to you and yours, Shane.

———————————–

• I had third pick overall in the draft and that got me the Canadiens colors too. I was smiling the entire night :)

They Call Me Shane
        “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
        Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• Ron says:

Great job Shane, most fun coaching is with the young ones. Very good FB page. Hope the team has the ultimate success of winning it all. Good luck.

• Thanks Ron, most of these kids are A or B players that will never see the inside of a cruiser so it’s the closest I can come to giving them a triple A experience. Judging by some of the emails I get from AAA parents I think it’s working.

I remember the feeling I got when I saw my name in the paper or in the standings, that’s all I want for my players too.

They Call Me Shane
            “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
            Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures

29. Bim says:

Being the pessimistic sort that I am I believe after this week’s latest round of ridiculous negotiations the season will finally be called. After that I was thinking about this summer’s amateur draft and the order it will follow. It would be a shame not to have one just because these rich guys cannot get it together. It would also be a shame not to reward those who are playing and working hard to get to that next level. Does anyone remember what happened the last time the season was called?

30. Chris says:

Remember how only Canadians get suspended?

Valeri Nichushkin misses today’s game, as did Shayne Gostisbehere. :)

The Nichushkin hit is still a bit of a curious one for me. I recognize he made the mistake of hitting the player squarely from behind and thus the penalty. But I still don’t like how Wotherspoon kind of stayed still for awhile with the puck exposing himself. I realize replays when slowed down change the appearance of the play, but it seemed like he was utilizing his position with the boards almost as protection in order to avoid anyone from hitting him.

End of the day, agree with the call and suspension, just didn’t like how our defenceman made the play. The other suspension you mention was a pure selfish and stupid play and very much deserved the suspension.

• Chris says:

I agree with both suspensions. Nichushkin was absolutely reckless on his play, while Gotisbehere was just mind-blowingly stupid.

I agree, however, that Wotherspoon’s behaviour on his hit was absolutely stupid. But this is what the kids are being coached to do, so they do it. Wotherspoon had a LOT of time to make a play with that puck and instead chose to just freeze and face the boards. Stupid, stupid play.

Big goal early for Russia, the key to beating a Swiss team is scoring early, take them out of their defensive shell.

So despite close losses to both Russia and Canada, Team USA is in the semi against Canada. Good for them for continuing forward, the rematch against Canada will be a good game. Team Canada better be ready, as I think we will see a much better Team USA than we saw in the earlier game.

Bright and early tomorrow am!

33. jols101 says:

Go Gally Go!!!

The Galchenyuk Express makes a non stop, full steam ahead, voyage through the Czech Republic. All Aboard. The Galchenyuk Express departs in 5 minutes.

EDIT: Boy, was I ever wrong. Gally played great but no exaggeration he got less then 12 minutes of ice time. He got 1 assist. USA pounded the Czechs 7-0. Gally’s assist was the nicest play of the game but his ice time was way down. Not sure if he is in Housley’s dog house or if Housley is just the worst coach ever.

• I thought Galchenyuk played ok thus far, however nothing except for one shift was spectacular. He looks average out there as do most of the Americans. Beside a few Canadians, no one on any of the other teams stick out beyond they hype. Even Yakupov was no superstar on ice. He’s fast, has great hands, and can’t finish lol. Kinda like Gomez :lol:

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

34. otter649 says:

If the NHL salary cap for 2013-2014 is 60 million The Habs are already over it slightly with only 16 players signed (No Subban signed) with a signed roster being 23 players. Montreal has the highest payroll in the league although there are a bunch of teams within a few million of the 60 million. It should be interesting how teams get rid of contracts to meet the 60 million if that is the true ceiling on the salary cap……

• Bripro says:

The Canadiens are ninth in cap payroll.
      They’re at a little over $63MM with Subban un-signed, as you said.
      The Bruins are in worse shape, although more contracts will expire at the end of this year for them.
      Overall, I don’t see how the owners can push for a one year adjustment, when most of them won’t be able to adjust to $60MM within the year.
      In order:
      Boston $69MM (23)
      Wild $ 69MM (23)
      Canucks $68MM (23)
      Flames $66.6MM(23)
      Fylers $66.6MM (23)
      Sharks $65.3MM (21)
      Hawks $64.5MM (24)
      Sabres $64.4MM (24)
      Habs $63.9MM (23)

• Habilis says:

I can’t see it going from 70 to 60 in one year, that’s a very big drop and it would drastically curtail free agent deals next summer. I think they will settle somewhere around 64-65 for next year. But even if I’m wrong and it is closer to 60, you have to remember that Gomez’s contract will be gone due to the buyout. You’re right though, it will be tight all over the league if that’s the case.

35. Propwash says:

TSN guys poking fun at Babrovski compilation.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

36. mark-ID says:

Sarnia has just ended the london knights winning streak at 24 games….one game short of CHL record. 6-5 in o.t. Goldobin with 4 goals.

• Chris says:

Goldobin is a very interesting prospect for the 2014 draft. He’s got great hands, good speed and a bit of a scoring touch. He hasn’t got a lot of top-line minutes playing behind the Sarault-Boucher-Galchenyuk line, but he’s producing nicely for a 16 year old.

Since Galchenyuk left Sarnia for the World Juniors, his linemates have meshed nicely with Goldobin.

In 3 games (including 2 against the London Knights, the best team in the country), they’ve got:

Charles Sarault – 1 goal, 4 points, +4
      Reid Boucher – 2 goals, 6 points, +6
      Nikolay Goldobin – 5 goals, 5 points, +5

Not too shabby. I really hope that somebody gives Sarault a shot because that kid makes everybody he plays with better.

37. Marc10 says:

Loving the Q kids coming big for Team C. Jonathan Drouin… Wow! Way to use the spotlight kid.

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…thanks to the miracle of the internet, while away, I got to watch bits and pieces of the WJC (US vs Canada) and one Bulldogs’ game …and, once home, all the Russia vs Canada/Canada vs Davos games

…just a few opinions

…objectively (of which is so hard to be as a hard-wired Habs Fan) it was agonizing watching AHL, and specifically Bulldogs hockey compared to the frenetically fast, impassioned and deeply skilled level of hockey of the WJC

…I know WJC is a collection of national kids all-star teams in a short tournament, but wow what a contrast as far as ‘entertainment level’

…Hamilton, despite My wish to the contrary, is but a team of plodders of varying degrees, and They make Me desperately anxious for the day the Bozons and Colbergs et al are ready to come on-stream …which will be a year or two down the road

…despite Galchenyuk’s obvious brilliance, I hope He will start with the Bulldogs and play a full season unless His AHL numbers are so high that it would show keeping Him in the AHL would retard His development

…never thought I would see the day I would ‘like’ so many Bruins players besides the previous exceptions of Orr and Esposito

…Seguin, Bergeron, Lucic, and blue-chips coming soon like M. Subban and Hamilton among others, are going to make Our lives miserable for awhile

…just one more draft for Us like the last and there should be some very exciting hockey rivalry between Da Teddy Bears and Nos Glorieux for many seasons to come, after said initial ‘pain’

…by the way, I predict (remember this in 2 years, if I’m still breathing) Malcolm Subban will be at least the back-up goaltender for Da Booins by 2014/2015, and their number one by at least 2015/2016 …which will make some crazee game day stories for Hickey and Stubbs, re PK vs Malcolm

…Gawd knows, Hickey will need one Hell of a lot of rehabilitation to His career to make-up for this weird Midnight Fantasy shite :) …and, said may help :)

_________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

39. Psycho29 says:

On RDS right now they are showing the Habs’ big comeback game vs the Rangers from 2008

40. Mavid says:

English Bay is a nice spot…in the summer

41. Mavid says:

yep…that is what I am saying…nuts..nutz..nutzy…nutty..crazy…your all alot more brave than I am..I was watching the news and they were showing all these people running into the freezing water..and I was thinking not now, never, ever would I do such a thing…

42. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not sure if it’s due to the festive spirit of the holiday season or from watching great hockey like the Spangler Cup and the WJHC, but I’ve moved from not caring to really hoping there is a NHL season.

I was so disgusted and still am about the players and owners pretending they care about the fans while they fight over and try and fill their pockets with money.

After seeing a lot of the Habs prospects, especially Galchenyuk, play in their various leagues and in the WJHC, I really want to see the NHL resume and watch them work their way into the system.

In watching the Bulldogs this year, there’s a few guys down there that don’t seem far away. I think the best thing for Tinordi is to finish the season in Hamilton but his progress from the start of the AHL season to now has been remarkable. He was downright awful the first dozen games but is now super calm and steady in his own end. He has had some highlight reel hits and and stepped in to defend or stick up several teammates in several fights.

Gallagher is very close in my opinion. I believe he leads the Bulldogs in shots and seems like more of an offensive asset than Leblanc. Leblanc did badly sprain his ankle earlier in the season and has not showed anything since.

Dumont is having a great season or at least a very impressive month for the Bulldogs. He is scrappy with a little scoring touch. Not sure where he could find a spot to play in Montreal with the logjam at the center position at the moment. And with Moen and Prust locked in on the wings and guys like Gallagher and Leblanc ahead of him in the pecking order, there is no current room for Dumont.

• ooder says:

a high ankle sprain is pretty burtal.. guys like lucic had a bit of trouble coming back from that and were usually not quiet the same the same season… i dunno what that injury is exactly but seems to be a pretty crappy one

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

43. Mavid says:

those people that do that polar dip are friggen nuts..I am all for charity but I will just hand over the cash I cannot imagine racing into freezing water in a bathing suit..crazy..

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…are You callin Me nutz Mavid ?

…because that’s exactly what Quent and I did at English Bay this morning :)

…among quite a few other nutz :)

…P.S.: Full Disclosure; if it makes You feel better, I must admit I was questioning My own sanity before the plunge …and, absolutely certain of My insanity after the plunge :)

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…anywayz Guyz and Princesses, and any outside these general descriptions …I wish Y’all a safe, satisfying, rewarding and healthy 2013

…cross Our fingers Fehr and Buttman finally see the light and We can have a season that will lead to another Top 3 draft pick :)

…love and peace to Y’all

…sincerely

• wjc says:

Hab in Surrey not sure what you mean when you say “hope Bettman and Fehr finally see the light.”

Could you please explain it to me in simple terms, that even I could understand. What part of this process did they not understand in your opinion?

wjc

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…wjc, with all due respect, Your nitpicking of varied commenters in HIO quite bores Me

…only speaking for Myself, and requesting, quite politely, that You go run, bite and yap chasing someOne elses tires

…what I said, I said

…go figure it out fer Yerself …k ? :)

_________________________________________________________
        _________________________________________________________
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: Banzai !!!

45. Bripro says:

Happy New Year everybody. I hope you all prosper and are bestowed what you deserve.
    On this fine new day of a new year, with some very good wjh still to play.
    Like Timo, the turkey and the roast are in the oven.
    The house is set up for guests. The wine is chillin’.
    You guys make sure you’re not late!
    And bring more Guinness!
    Cheers!

Turkey’s in the over… smella good.

47. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Prospero ano y felicidad a todos!

48. Mr. Biter says:

And they say money can’t buy happiness. HH (age 86) marries one of his playmates (age 26). Corner will say “Did whatever I could but it was impossible to get the grin off his face”.
    Have a happy new years day, Hugh is.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

49. ProHabs says:

If the Habs won the cup in the fantasy hockey league, how many of you would go to the parade to cheer on these fellows.

50. Hobie Hansen says:

Question?

Does the buyout that’s being floated around happen immediately if the season begins or after the shortened season and prior to the 2013/14 season?

• Mark C says:

Prior to the 2013/14 season.

• Hobie Hansen says:

That’s what I thought because that’s when the NHL is attempting to drop the cap $10 million or whatever it ends up being. It’s great that we’ll have the option to buyout Gomez but it would have been nice to do it a year or more ago. It also sucks that we’re not going to be able to replace him with a real $7 million dollar player since the cap will probably end up dropping the equivalent of his cap hit.

• Mark C says:

While it would have been nice to have Gomez gone earlier that buyout would have came with the associated cap penalty. I think the proposed buyout is as good of a deal as we could have hoped for. Montreal will benefit from it as much as any team.

• 24 Cups says:

Other names to consider – Leino, Jovanovski, Redden, Havlat, Ballard, Luongo (if they can’t trade him), Bryzgalov (would still need a replacement)

I’ve stated this before, but a good compromise for both sides would be to have a $64M cap in 2013-14 and then drop down to 60M before moving to the 50/50 split.

51. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what ice time Mr. Gomez is getting on the Alaska Aces? He’s 12th in points on the team and I’d be happier if I knew it was because he’s not getting many minutes. Joey Crabb, who’s first on the team in scoring btw, has exactly three times the number of goals and assists. Maybe we should see if they’ll give him to us straight up for Gomer. =/

And Happy New Year to everyone!

DDonais

52. Mavid says:

Happy New Year..2013 is going to be a great year!!! Lets hope it starts with some hockey!

53. ProHabs says:

Wtf. The habs moved into 7 place in fantasy hockey I thought they were dominating in this. I’m so disappoint in those guys.

I wish Hickey would post the top scorers of the fantasy hockey league. My buddies and I started a pool months ago and I have no idea who is winning. So disappoint.

54. Mustang says:

Happy New Year to all the HIO family.

So is Therrien still the Habs coach?

56. jeffhabfan says:

HAPPY NEW TO ALL. Hopefully we get N.H.L. hockey back this year.

• Ian Cobb says:

Roger That Jeff!

• DAVE. N says:

A very happy New Year to you and yours, as well as all the HIO followers..as to the NHL being back…well….I’ve been following OHL and Juniors lately in my own back yard, and I’m ok with it.. The Bulls are doing well, as are the Trenton Golden Hawks…went to several games and it does remind me of what hockey is all about. Competition;pressing to be your best;Team spirit….all the good stuff the million and billionaires have lost sight of. Being a fan of the game doesn’t mean I’m a fan of the NHL , just the game.. The lock out reminded me of that. As a former junior player, I’d lost sight of that as I got older, but I’m watching some talent, but most of all, watching effort..,and there is still an immense effort being played out on the ice.

• Ian Cobb says:

Hi Dave, Best of the year to you as well my friend. Some great points, and yes, OHL hockey is a great league. Playing for what are the real and correct reasons to play the GAME!
        See you at the rink, where it is still a game!

57. slapshot777 says:

Happy New Year to everyone here hope 2013 is good to all.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

58. wjc says:

My wish list for 2013:

Fairness:
    That people held to a certain standard when posting. For instance keeping name calling and personal attacks to a minimum. Calling Bettman, Buttman or commenting on his size. Just stick to the facts.

Journalist stay balanced: I know sometimes editors tell them to create controversy (sells papers) but when you attack one side only, in my opinion you lose a certain credibility.

Sticking to facts

Owners want to start negotiation early, no reponse.
    Negotiations start, first proposal was exactly what the owners were living with…considered unfair.

Players some how lost in last negotiation but came out ahead by almost a billion dollars…but players are victims.

Players submit a one page proposal 3 different ways on 3 different pages. Of course it was read and understood in 10 minutes and rejected.

Saying players are the product so deserve many millions of dollars above what is fair. Last time I looked Beliveau, Laflure, Richard had retired but people were still cheering for the Montreal Canadiens (the actual product) the logo so to speak.

To me these are facts, you can argue with my facts, with your facts without attacking the messenger.

People forgetting that the Montreal Canadiens were going down with a lot of Canadian teams (Quebec, Ottawa, Calgary etc.) and the league did not abandon them. Montreal were sold to an American for 200 million dollars including the Bell Center.

Gary Bettman has made the NHL stronger by more then a billion dollars. Making the league strong but not as financially profitable as it should be. Remember owners have to get a return on their investments or why bother. So they sell to get their profit, but eventually other owners will not be interested, would you tie up your money for 10 years on the possibilty of a good return. Might as well buy gold or something else with stability and good return.

Talk of starting a new league

Does anyone think that there are idiots out there with billions to blow to create a new league. The WHL lasted a few years and collapsed into the arms of the NHL. Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford etc. eventually folded anyways. Do you remember the Miami screaming eagles, New york raiders, Toronto Toro’s, teams were folding and popping up all over. Players never made that much money then either by comparison.

Sorry for the rant….no need to respond.

wjc

• Chris says:

Ah, what the heck…I’m bored.

Let’s address your “facts”:

1) NHL player salaries totalled 74% of the NHL’s $2.2 billion in revenues in 2003-04. In 2011-12, NHL player salaries totalled 57% of $3.2 billion. That means that player salaries have gone from $1.63 billion to $1.82 billion. I’ll let you do the math on that, but it isn’t even close to $1 billion.

2) The players are the product. The last time I checked, nobody has been showing up the Bell Centre during the lockout to watch the logo at centre ice and soak up the ambience.

3) The WHA (not WHL) was DIRECTLY responsible for a huge escalation in NHL salaries in the 1970’s. So yes, the league folded but only because the NHL had to start treating its players with a bit more respect, and once those players got that respect they haven’t been willing to give it up.

4) The NHLPA really doesn’t have the onus on them to propose the business model to the NHL. They have been very vocal about what they would not accept: contract negotiation limitations were off the table from the very start. And with everything they are giving up (what amounts to 25% of the league’s revenues now in 8 years), there was absolutely no reason for the NHL to go after those rights. It was simply brinksmanship and union-busting…nothing else.

5) The players feel like they lost the last negotiation because they have seen their salaries escalate by $200 million over 8 years while watching the NHL owners’ share of the pot grow by over $800 million. Looking at the two numbers, 8 is much bigger than 2 so it isn’t hard to see why the players might feel that way.

6) People don’t buy sports teams, in general, to make money. They never have. Sports teams are like flashy cars or castles for the ultra-rich. People buy teams to satisfy their inner sports nut, and the tax breaks that they get as a result don’t hurt either. And the average value of those franchises continues to skyrocket in general despite the fact that so many are “not profitable”.

The NHL was poised to have a second golden age. All the signs were in the proper places. The public was turned off by the NBA lockout, and that league has been in a bit of a decline. There were good NHL franchises in a number of high-profile American cities: Los Angeles, New York, Detroit, Boston, and Philadelphia were all doing well. Some of the sun belt franchises (Nashville, Florida, Tampa Bay) were building their fan bases back up after the disaster of the last lockout.

All flushed down the toilet because the owners got greedy. This whole thing could have been settled months ago if they only went for a 50/50 split of revenues, which was the only thing they actually needed. Everything else was just pointless and utterly reckless. The damage to the game lies solely with Gary Bettman on this front.

• neumann103 says:

Chris

Thanks for doing this. It allowed me not to immediately break my New Year’s resolution:

Don’t feed the trolls.

But seriously, your point 6 is a huge one that seems to get ignored a lot. People who cry tears for the poor ROI that billionaires get on their NHL franchises seem to be under the illusion that these are normal business investments. They are not. If someone wants to maximize return he should find a different investment. This was always my argument against entities like the Teachers Pension Fund (which has a fiduciary duty to maximize return) in charge of a franchise. If offered the chance to make 11% ROI and lose every game or make 10% and win the Stanley Cup, they would take the money. Better to have the Mike Illitch’s of the world who would be happy to break even and win.

and my own personal quibble with the “facts” presented above (other than the bizarre notion that the players should have somehow started negotiations with massive concessions from the status quo because the owners were unhappy with “what the owners were living with”) is that it is factual that Gary Bettman is tiny. To point this out certainly can be and is done in a mean spirited way but it is factual.

“Et le but!”

• wjc says:

Hey Nueman, do you even know what a troll is. I think you are a TROLL.

#6 The owners lose money for the fun of it, is just STUPID! If they could lose and still make a fantastic return, then they would lose gladly. Montreal loses on a regular bases and still makes a ton of money, so losing is not so bad if you get your ROI.

Concessions were necessary, even the players will admit that. It was necessary! The system was broken and needed to be fixed.

If you can make more by losing, then winning, then losing would be the way to go. If you could make $10,000.00 by betting against the Montreal Canadiens, then you would bet against the Montreal Canadiens.

Mike Illitch break even and win. Mike Illitch lose money and win. Mike Illitch win and lose money. Which do you think he would choose.

The trouble with this sight and people who use alias’s like you is that you are afraid of discussion. The only people you will discuss anything with is yourself (alias) or someone you know and are safe with. You my “friend” are a coward.

wjc

• Chris says:

All sorts of owners of professional sports teams have basically said that they don’t mind losing money. Roman Abramovich couldn’t care less how much he loses. Losing $10 million each year for a billionaire is really not a big deal. To put it in context, the equivalent would be somebody with $1000 in their bank account getting all bent out of shape about losing $10 per year.

You can lose $10 per year for a long time on $1000.

You can lose $10,000,000 per year for a long time when you have $1,000,000,000.

There are few NHL owners losing as much as $10,000,000 per year, and those that do get handsome tax write-offs in exchange.

Of course every team would love to make money. These are businessmen. But in general, they are not in the sports business to make money…they are in the business to stoke their egos.

• wjc says:

Hi Chris, been busy all day, but I will respond.

Number 1 point. How much did they gain, not going to argue because I don’t have exact numbers in front of me, but the point is they gained.

2. Now come on Chris, I am talking about the sweater here. People go to see the Montreal Canadiens (owned by Molsen). They cheer the Montreal Canadiens. When a player is traded or moves on he is sometimes booed. When they ware the opposition sweater you do not cheer (in most cases) for that team. No, you stay loyal to the Canadiens. When a favorite players retires you do not give up on the team……now be honest….you don’t. The colors the logo the design is what inspires you and fans like you.

When Canadiens win a cup, you have a parade, for the team.

3. The WHA did start the raise in salary….conceded. But, they changed teams and folded teams until they joined the NHL with about 4 teams. If they had been successful, they would have maintained their own league.

I think the league has to be strong and if the players call the shots you don’t have a very good league. Players have to be hungry or the fan suffers. If you are willing to pay for a sub par performance the owner will not necessarily care. As long as you will pay.

Back before guaranteed contracts players could be sent down to the minors, no questions asked, didn’t happen often but it happened. Was it a good system for the players…no. The fans got their monies worth most nights. If the union gets too strong then the game goes down.

When you are attempting to negotiated a new CBA everything is on the table. Whether or not it will be used later as a bargaining chip is hard to say. That is why they go back and forth before the season starts and seriously negotiated….not stonewall and then say we were the victims….look…look they locked us out. Strikes can be owners fault and lockouts can be players fault or they could both be responsible. Going after things is part of the process and trading them off later can be the motive.

5. The NHL has to depend on revenue sharing and this is not something that should be. Teams have to pay high prices for stars to get interest in their teams and perhaps make the playoffs. This is necessary because fans will lose interest if you have a team full of players named “Joe”. You need the stars and they cost you. Then you get a bigger fan base and maybe go deep into the playoffs. Teams that don’t do this just stagger along.

The point is the players made a lot more money over the eight years, so where is the complaint. They lost nothing….nothing. The gained and the league needs to be strong financially and giving 57% was too much.

No, Molsen bought Montreal Canadiens because it is money making machine. All owners buy teams for the profits, either present or future. They are not into being the worlds biggest sucker to be laughed at. There motivation is money, just like the players. They say to Bettman “straighten out this CBA, do what it takes, I want to grow this thing” That’s what they do, grow things, expand, create money making enterprises. They do not get there thrill from losing money. They have a 5 year plan and they try to get there, but if the players make too much, it pisses them off. They have to pay to be competitive, but there is a ceiling.

Nothing was flushed down the toilet, this hic cup will be forgotten in a couple of months. There is a 40 year waiting list for hockey tickets in Toronto….Montreal has a huge back up. If you want the league to be sucessful and I think you do, then realize that this negotiation was tough. Fehr is tough and this could have been settled in August. Getting to 50/50 was not something the players excepted and how long it would take was not excepted

Hockey will be fine, teams in the States barely noticed. I barely noticed the Football and basketball disputes. I didn’t even realize basketball was out, silly me.

NHL knows how to promote itself and the lockout will be forgotten in no time.

wjc

• Chris says:

It took years for some of the American franchises to recover from the last lockout. You think that the fans aren’t going to notice this one? I highly doubt that.

The players had basically agreed to 50/50 back in October. Since then, the “hill to die” on has been contract negotiation rights, and that is purely on the NHL. They want something to protect one another from themselves, and the players are rightfully asking why they should give up their rights to satisfy the owners.

As for what seems to be your central point, you could not be more wrong about revenue sharing. The whole reason that the NHL can exist in its current guise (and this goes for the NBA, MLB and NFL as well) is because the franchises band together as a league and are treated as one single entity under the various labour laws. This protects these franchises from antitrust laws and permits them to slap some rather unconstitutional labour restrictions on their workers. If the players must negotiate with the NHL as a whole, then it is up to the NHL as a whole to make sure that the money is distrbuted properly.

If the league wants to open up Pandora’s box and say that each team should be allowed to make whatever it likes, then the NHLPA would be more than happy to permit its membership to unionize by team, instead of across the league. And you can bet that players in New York, Montreal and Toronto would be able to get a lot more money than they do under the current system, which would allow those teams to potentially walk all over the rest of the league.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’s insist that each franchise is a private entity but then insist that the players rights are set by the league. That is simply not the way the world works.

The owners have seen their revenue stream nearly triple since the last lockout. This is the thing you constantly leave out of your rants. You rail against the players for their greed, yet you don’t seem to have a problem with the fact that the owners revenues have blown away all expectations.

The league has a revenue sharing problem, not a salary problem. There is more than enough money in the kitty for all the owners to be profitable, but there is a faction of owners who refuse to play well with others.

59. commandant says:

Happy New Year to all.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

60. HabFab says:

Hockey Futures latest update on the Hab Prospects on the farm;

NOTE; also find it irritating when research is not done well.

• jols101 says:

Great little interview, this kid knows which end is up. It was his only sub-par performance of the entire tournament and he still added a goal and an assist. His line mates were brutal as well so much of their sloppy play wasn’t even his fault. I hope Housley mixes things up and gets him some new line mates. Regardless, this kid is a an elite hockey player and will step it up in the Quarter Finals.

Edit: Ooops, this was a reply to the above post with the Galchenyuk interview. Lol. Too many beers last night.

Looks like everyone is still in bed nursing a hang over.
    With Andree still in a cast, it was a movie and bed at 11pm!

Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year’s day and year!

62. ont fan says:

Happy New Year everyone.

So did Russia pick the right goalie for this game? Was surprised no Makarov in net today.

You mean the NBA Dunk Contest and MLB Home Run contest don’t determine the league championships? :)

65. Habfan10912 says:

Agree 100% Riga. I don’t even like the overtime during the regular season but can live with it if they’d do away with the blasted shootout. I remember the days where you would be pleased with a tie on the road.

———————————–

Wow, thanks for Boone Blog Riga!

67. frontenac1 says:

I”m with you 100% Amigo. Can”t stand OT in regular season or Stupid soccer shootouts. I wish the Lockout was all about this,then maybe i would give a sh#t. Saludos!

68. Mustang says:

Riga, I don’t always agree with your comments but this time, you are bang-on. The only thing I would change is your last statement as follows: “let the best TEAM win, not the team that has the best individuals on it or the team that happens to get a lucky bounce”.

69. Mattyleg says:

Sounds like Russia is playing like Russia.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. ooder says:

I guess I did misunderstand you…my bad!
    Your analysis is right on. To polar opposite teams just one had more skill

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

71. commandant says:

The format is what it is.

Its also a surprise to no one.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports