Markov rumour stirs frenzy

MarkovMay5

Rumours swirled on Tuesday night that the Canadiens and defenceman Andrei Markov were close to signing a new two-year deal, but the story was quickly denied by Markov’s agent.

But at least it gave media and fans something to talk about on an otherwise quiet day in the world of hockey. Here’s some of the news from around the league:

Meehan denies Markov deal is imminent

Bruins spent $156,000 on booze to celebrate Stanley Cup win: Chris Stevenson

New NHL rules aimed at player safety: Eric Duhatschek

Flyers, Rangers to play 2012 Winter Classic: report

TSN’s mock draft: Canadiens pick Brandon Saad

1. sally122 says:

Smart money would be on Hamrlik not coming back and Weber as the utility man on the team. I know Yemelin has no NHL experience but i don’t think they brought him over to sit in the pressbox or play in Hamilton.

2. sally122 says:

a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e'ek’c'ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

3. emann_222 says:

Well the clock is ticking and of course all the talk is going to be about Markov. I for one think they need to ink him and do it fast. Even at 80%, he has more skill than any other defenseman in the league.

I’m more interested to see what happens to the likes of Ryan White and Benoit Pouliott.

Thrilled about the Desharnais contract! He could be another Martin St Louis. He has great skill at a young age, and the right attitude.

If you want to read more of my thoughts on the workings of PG so far … Please read (http://wp.me/p1n6pU-3f ) Canadiens Off-Season Puzzle is Coming Together. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

• cthab says:

IMO, get rid of him while he is still skating. One of the most injury prone players, who has earned the majority of his salary on the bench. Never hits, nor blocks hits. This is the NHL not the IHL. Get someone in return with the heart of PK or McDonough that was traded away.

4. Jim Edson says:

If this offer to Hamrlik is indeed true the psyche of Goatier and his “everything is all right, I like our team” path of least resistance, maintain the status quo mentality is exposed for all to see.

At the start of the 2011-2012 season Goatier will have one of his two or three annual press conferences and announce “I like our team” when asked why he didn’t change much of anything or address any of the known shortcomings.

Then slip back into the shadows.
    ———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

To resign Hamrlik is a mistake in my opinion. None of us here have all the facts at our disposal like Mr. Gauthier, so we’re all just blowing steam, but for my money I would prefer to let Roman go and use this season to see what our young defencemen can do. I have no doubt that Roman is still useful and can probably help us win a couple games that we might otherwise lose, but I’d rather lose those couple games with the kids on the ice and see them gain experience. We would benefit in the long run.

My birthday wish is for the Canadiens to start the season with these pairings.

Markov-Yemelin
    Gill-Subban
    Gorges-Wisniewski
    (Weber, Spacek in pressbox)

I’m hoping against hope that Wisniewski is resigned. If he is not, I still don’t want Hammer back. Let’s move all the kids up one more rung on the ladder and see what they are made of.

Thanks for all your efforts Roman, it’s been great, but we’re looking long-term and we’re not going to win the Cup with you around in 2011.

———————————
    “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• Natrous says:

I agree with your pairings; I’d sooner resign Wiz over Hamrlik for similar money. Hamr said he would take a hometown discount to stay in Montreal, however I don’t think he was talking $2m+ discount and isn’t worth anything over Spacek’s $3.8m IMO.

Markov is essential to this team, regardless what his critics say about his “lack” of defensive skills or injuries of late. He makes his defensive partner look good by playing solid, two-way hockey, and is a threat on the PP, which means pairing him with Yemelin makes total sense.

People haven’t really mentioned how error-prone Wizniewski can be in the defensive end (but Markov is??), but having him on a third pairing and on the second PP means THREE well-rounded lines that can start the rush and defend the goal – I hope Gauthier agrees with you and makes the right signings.

• Polar Bear says:

Un Candien. Resigning Hamrlik is a great idea. He is insurance against the kind of decimation our defensive suffered this year. He will of course play a reduced role unless more is required

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nothing against Hammer, it’s just that with him on the roster, we’re not improving, just treading water.

The Canadiens aren’t going to win the Cup this year with the roster we have. It’s not like Hamrlik is the last piece of the puzzle. What he is is a body plugging up the roster, taking away valuable minutes from the youngsters.

We don’t need insurance against anything. What we need is to groom our young players. With Markov, Gill, Gorges and even PK now, we have enough talent and experience to support our young defencemen. Spacek will be here also, he can chip in too. Hamrlik is not needed.

Yemelin is 25 years old, he is a grown man who has played at the highest level short of the NHL. Let’s see what he’s made of. Let’s give him the opportunity and the ice time, not Hamrlik.

Same goes for Weber has been kicking around for three seasons now, between Hamilton and Montreal, he’s 23. This is the year to see what he’s made of.

If injuries hit, which they will, instead of increasing minutes to Hamrlik, we should increase the role of our young defencemen.

———————————
        “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• LA Loyalist says:

I’m ok with Hammer for less money and less minutes. But not at the expense of Wiz. Because never a Wiz there Was.

I don’t want to see Wiz on Boston replacing Kab-fare. Do you?

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch my friends.

Agents want their clients to test the free agent market, in order to get them (both player and agent) as much money as possible.

Markov and Gorges are not sown up onto our roster by a long shot yet. They could both decide to go elsewhere.

• Jim Edson says:

Ian, as an RFA Gorges is not getting out of town quickly or silently!

It will cost someone! No doubt!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

7. t1tan5 says:

Gill and Hammer both could have important roles with the team even if they are old and slow. Spacek is the one I am not high on. With one year left on his contract and many teams way below the cap, I’d trade him for a conditional 7th round pick if that’s the best offer I get.

• TomNickle says:

With Gill, Markov, Gorges and Subban on the roster. Hamrlik can’t have a role that is significant. More like an insurance policy for an unexpected injury to one of the players I mentioned.

• t1tan5 says:

Assuming we sign one of Markov or Wiz along with Gorges, I think Hammer would play about 15-18 minutes a game and rotating PK duty with Markov and Subban. We would have one epic PK duo in Gill-Gorges and a second duo from the three I mentioned.

• TomNickle says:

And Hamrlik’s addition would bump Yemelin, Weber or Spacek out of the lineup. Not sure how comfortable I am with that. When you have kids that are ready to play in the NHL on defense, putting them into a 5 or 6 role is the perfect situation for them to grow comfortably and develop their games. Bringing Hamrlik back puts that development on hold.

• t1tan5 says:

This is assuming that we go the entire season uninjured. Let’s assume one of: Markov, Subban, Gill, Spacek, or Gorges goes down for a while. I am not comfortable having both Weber and Yemelin (if he even makes the team) playing at the same time. We need more depth at D. Whether or not this depth comes in the form of Hamrlik is not known. What I do know is that Hamrlik can provide medium-range minutes and can also step up and play big time minutes for at least a while.

8. TomNickle says:

Markov Subban
    Gill Gorges
    Yemelin Spacek
    Hamrlik Weber

Something doesn’t add up. Somebody other than Wisniewski won’t be back. Who sits in the pressbox?

• Willy says:

• TomNickle says:

La Presse is reporting that the Habs are offering Hamrlik a contract. That’s kinda the reason I posted this. Something smells.

• LA Loyalist says:

You can’t trade guys that aren’t signed. So PG may be building depth for something down the road to get us a rogue male forward.

A guy can dream, you know. Even slightly concussed.

• Rugger says:

Maybe the Habs are going to the league limit of 23 rather than their traditional 22, with the extra being a D man until they know that Yemelin and Weber are going to be okay or until Spacek can be traded.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah(sigh), I guess I figured that Nash and Diaz could both slide into a #5-6 role if need be. Anything over $1 million on Hamrlik is just a waste of money at this point, in terms of what will be expected of him and what role he’ll play.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Subban+ is being traded to the Penguins for Crosby (E10)

9. Lazarus_taxa says:

Hey Hockeyinsideout! I’m pretty pissed about the multiple false reports being posted! First the Markov report, then the Bruins’ party tab (though the Stevenson article says the tab is inflated, your link upholds the lie). I find it extremely hard to understand professional journalists relying on Tony Marinaro for information. I go to various rumour sites that can give me my fill of dreamy B.S, but I come here for the facts. I really like this site, but I feel that the summer months have you slipping. Citing Marinaro….. all I can say is “What did you learn?”
    Pull your Socks UP HIO!

• HabFanSince72 says:

“I find it extremely hard to understand professional journalists relying on Tony Marinaro for information.”

Post of the day.

• LA Loyalist says:

I have a photo of a printout of the Ruin’s bar tab (how I got it is another story) but nobody would fake ordering 36 red bulls, trust me. $100k of it is some crazy champers they are donating to an auction for charity.

As to everything else, a summer without rumours ain’t much. Better than last year when we were pounding each other over Price’s rodeo and Halak going off to St. Louis for a toasted Danish. I mean that was brutal.

10. Viruk42 says:

Anybody else notice Florida’s cap space? They currently have 11 players signed, for 18.29mil against the cap (including a 466k buyout). If they resigned their entire team to the exact same contracts as before, they’d have 24 players on 36.1mil, or *12* million below the cap floor. No wonder we’ve seen (or made up) rumours involving Spacek (and dreams of Gomez) being traded there.

11. Chuck says:

Speaking of the Bruins celebrating their win, didn’t the girls getting liquored up in their hotel celebration look more than a little underage?

12. Sal says:

I still say, trade Spacek, for a bag of pucks. There has to be one team out there looking for a veteran presence that Spacek could fill. Wishfull thinking? Sign Wiz,or a free agent like Bieksa/Errhoff. gotta have the insurance in place in case Markov goes down again.

Sal from the Hammer

13. RetroMikey says:

Signing MArkov to a 2 year contract is ludicrous at roughly 11million dollars!
    He is injury prone and I would sign him to only 3.5 million a season or less, no more!
    What makes people thing he’s going to be the same old Markov who played for us? Markov is no young spring chicken anymore and to throw that much money for a guy is not worth it, who knows his career is over with another injury if it were to happen. Besides, Markov is not great defensively and we only look to him for his offensive skills.
    Gauthier is going to make a big mistake if he does not offer Wiz a contract, we need him more IMO.
    And yes, Hamrlik may be old, but he plays hard every game and could be a worthy addition for us this season. To me, he is the Lou Gehrig of hockey, and plays hard every game and is not fragile as Markov.
    We got Subban who can be our next playmaker that everyone wants, why have another one for that much money we are dishing out?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• thorandresson says:

Because having Markov and Subban on the back end will be spectacular.

What’s up with people bashing Markov? Yes he’s had a bad string of luck the last few years, but it would be foolish to make a decision on him based on that.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Markov is not great defensively? Must of been why Alex Ovechkin said he was the hardest defencemen for him to play against in the entire league. You don’t play 25 minutes a game and in all situations if you’re bad defensively, unless your name is Mike Green and Bruce Boudreau is your coach. Hamrlik burns out earlier and earlier in the year these days, I liked him in his service here but it’s time to let younger men take the job on plus, he doesn’t have chemistry with Subban and Subban is the future for Montreal, which I know bothers you as you’d rather he be the future for the Bulldogs…

The idea of having Subban and Markov is so you don’t thrust the burden of being the only strong two-way defencemen on one guy. You spread it out to their benefit and to the team’s benefit so more than 1 D-pairing on the back end is capable of moving the puck up ice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Actually Ovie said that about Gill and Chara, being the toughest D-Men to play against.

• RetroMikey says:

Ovechkin is just complimenting his best friend Markov, that’s all! But Ovechkin said that Chara and GIll are the toughest DMen he faced.
        Have you seen Markov play? He is prone to defensive lapses and we overlook this and although he is a great playmaker and offensively gifted, I would not nominate him as a Norris trophy candidate.
        IMO, Hamrlik is a better defensive defenseman and yes, he wants to stay in Montreal and finish his career, he is an iron horse on our team. For a guy who is 37, he can still play with the best out there and fill the role admirably and is not injury prone. Playing over 1300 NHL games does not make you an old goat in todays NHL.
        And what makes you think Markov is young and will be back to form?
        I would carefully consider signing him to a long term, one more injury to a 32 year old Markov and kiss his career goodbye.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Curtoph says:

Calm down, this is only speculation, also he won’t sign for less, he’ll be given the chance because he’s a hab at heart and will always be, they’ll give him what he’s worth, if he does get injured again his cap comes off the books anyways, if he’s playing like Markov he’s worth the 5.75 m they would pay him.

• HalifaxHabs says:

In the name of everything holy, and in the name of everything atheist… thank fock you don’t make personel decisions for the Habs.

• RetroMikey says:

There’s a phrase my mom used to call s**t heads like you that don’t respect other people’s comments…wonder if I wish to type it out here or say it to you in person when I visit Halifax next week.
        Your call.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• ManApart says:

Thank God Gainey and Gauthier do instead? Not very comforting.

• TomNickle says:

How well did it work out for the Sabres when they let Briere and Drury walk and traded Campbell?

They haven’t won a playoff series since is the answer.

• Willy says:

Please don’t compare Lou Gehrig and Roman Hamrlik. That is absolutely ludicrous. One of the greatest ball players ever with a decidedly slightly above average D-man. I appreciate everything Hamrlik has done with the Habs but that comparison is way over the top.

On the other point of your post. I agree that i’d rather bring Wiz back but to say Markov is weak defensively is a stretch. Personally i think he’s going to bounce back but i’d like to see him do it somewhere in the range of 4.5 Mil.

• Un Canadien errant says:

RetroMikey, with respect, what is ludicrous is your idea that 3.5 million dollars a season is a starting point for negotiations. If Mr. Gauthier made this type of offer, the agent would know that there is no real interest and would look elsewhere for a deal.

When Markov signs, his salary will be in the same ballpark as what he earned last season, probably with a modest raise. That’s reality, that’s the market, and that’s what the Canadiens will have to do if they want to retain one of the 10 best NHL defencemen. That’s who he is when he is playing.

To say that Markov is not great defensively is nonsense. I agree he’s not a hacker or cheap shot artist like Pronger, if that’s what you mean, but if you’re looking for a d-man to always be in position, to block angles, find the puck and clear the zone by rushing it up the ice or making the first pass out of the zone, then there are few who are Markov’s equal.

Also, be aware of the fact that Mr. Gauthier is in constant contact with his coaches and medical staff. They know what he is up to, how hard he is working in the gym to rehab, and how he is progressing in his recovery plan. If the doctors and physio staff give him the green light, I’ll trust Mr. Gauthier to determine the monetary value of the deal.

The greater nonsense is when you say that ‘to you, Hamrlik is the Lou Gehrig of hockey’. That is incomprehensible. Lou Gehrig played 14 seasons at a Hall of Fame caliber without missing a single game. Hammer does not meet this standard in any way. He has had only one season where he played a full 82 games, and is no threat for the Hall. I understand that you were making a comparison, but this is so inept that it is really meaningless.

The final nonsense, if you will allow me, is your signature. You put it there as your tagline, in great big bold font, and it is also devoid of meaning. It is probably ungrammatical, and it probably doesn’t capture what you are trying to say. It definitely is incomprehensible to me. I suspect you are not fluent in English, and if so maybe you can get someone to help you with it and make a couple of corrections, if only for my benefit.

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• LA Loyalist says:

Remember the big 3? There are reasons it wasn’t the big 1, or the big 2.

Depth, amigo-san. I know it’s a weird concept around here, but we need it. Badly.

14. shiram says:

Signing a free agent does not mean they will play when season start, the player can be traded between now and then.
    Making an offer to a free agent does not mean he will take it, especially a free agent.

For all we know Akost, Darche, DD, Patches or anyone could be traded to move in the draft or to aquire another player.

People are speculating on a rumour that PG will make an offer to Hamr…

15. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

I would like to see Markov signed for a two year deal for 10 to 11 million. As far as signing Hamrlik… no way in the world do I even make him an offer, his best years are far behind him, he’s too old, too slow, too soft, and his offensive skills are gone. Bye bye Hammer ! I would also like Montreal to make an attempt to sign Christian Ehrhoff over the Wiz. I like Wiz offensively, but his defensive side is scary at times, and although he makes up for that with his grit, I still don’t think that aspect is enough to give him the money he will want…5 mill at least to keep him here is too much. Ehrhoff is more reliable on defense and although he doesn’t have the cannon the Wiz has for the PP, it is adequate enough, and he moves the puck better out of his own zone much better than Wiz.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agree – but I can’t see Couver letting Ehrhoff go. They have Salo, Bieksa and Ehrhoff has UFAs. Surely they will keep two of them.

• SeriousFan09 says:

And probably the ones who doesn’t get bruised ribs from a room fan being on medium (Salo) get to stay.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

It’s a long shot that the Habs will be able to sign him, but Montreal should have the cap space to do it, whereas I’m not sure if Vancouver will have enough to sign both Bieksa and Ehrhoff. Bieksa will be in for a big raise after the year he had, so that could pose a problem for them to keep both of ‘em. Has the NHL raised the cap by the 5 million ? I know it was proposed but I haven’t heard yet if it was official.

16. thorandresson says:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but I was just checking out tsn’s 2010 and 2009 redraft (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369620)

I was pleasantly surprised to see Tinordi jump 14 spots to #8 ahead of #3 pick Gudbranson.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m hoping to go see Tinordi play in Ottawa when London is in town or while visiting friends in Peterborough.

Can’t wait until he’s in the NHL.

Maybe another 2 1/2 to 3 years though….

• RGM says:

Pretty high praise from Craig Button on Tinordi too:
      “”When you look at Tinordi, he’s much like his dad. He’s raw, so it will take him a little bit of time to really realize that full potential. [He needs to] understand what a presence he can be in a game, not just with his size, but with his physical play with his offensive play, with his ability to shut other teams best players down,” Button stated. “I think he’s the type of guy when you start looking ahead, he’s a 25-28 minute-a-game player in all situations.”

If that should pan out, with him & PK back there the Habs will be looking mighty good on the blueline for years to come.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• thorandresson says:

that is fairly good praise, really looking forward to seeing him alongside PK

I saw him play on tv once with the London Knights, and he was a force to be reckoned with, players couldn’t get through on his side of the ice

• Hobie Hansen says:

He currently looks super thin but should be a beast when he fills out.

His dad was awesome! He was a thorn in the side of many power forwards like Messier, Stevens and Neely. I remember some classic fights of his.

Can’t wait for his son to do the same!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Issue I have with Button is he went out of his way to love Tinordi, but then rated MTL 28th overall in the league for prospect strength, which is a pretty unfair evaluation.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• HalifaxHabs says:

luckily Craig Button is just behind Mike Milbury in GM credibility.

• Jim Edson says:

Or Mcguire!

Not to mention present job status!

All media mouthpieces!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

• Dintrox says:

I think what got tongues wagging was having Seguin jump Hall as #1 from 2010. Hall played major minutes until injured and scored 20 more points. Seguin rode the pine most of the playoffs. makes me question the entire exercise.

• savethepuck says:

But Button also was one of the one’s at the 2010 draft that had Seguin over Hall in his rankings. He just hasn’t changed his mind on the 2. When you are talking about minutes played tho, you are talking about 2 18 yr olds, 1 on the Stanley Cup Champs and the other on a young rebuilding basement dweller. Of course Hall was going going to get major minutes compared to Seguin, and thus more points.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• Mats Naslund says:

I would love it if Tinordi turned into a 25-28 minute guy as Button suggests.. but what is he basing this on? Tinordi was awful in the first half of the Knights’ season. He turned it around in the second half and was much better in all situations.. but its a huge stretch to move him up that much. The Habs fan in me is flattered but I call BS. This is the same guy who would take Seguin over Hall. Doesn’t pass the smell test to me.

17. HNS says:

Oh Tony Marinara Sauce broke the story……..there you go.

So is this new team in Winnipeg, MB going to have a name by draft day? What are they going to say on the Podium, “And with the 7th selection in the draft a professional team playing in Winnipeg, MB selects player x. Here son please try on this completely white reebok jersey with your draft year number on it. Hope you feel special about this day.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Good point lol.

• Viruk42 says:

I would assume that, if they don’t have a team name/jersey, they’d use an NHL all-star style jersey.

However, I really think they’re trying to keep the name thing quiet, and will then introduce it at the draft. It’d be really good press to do it that way, so your new potential-face-of-the-franchise player is the first to wear the jersey. You get Bettman to say “will Winnipeg come to the podium”, and then they go up with a jersey, no one knows what’s on it, and they say “The Winnipeg…(pause)… _____ are pleased to select, so-and-so”.
      Or they could announce the guys name, get him up there, take the microphone again to reveal the team name as he puts on the jersey.

-shrug-, it seems a good way to market things to me, but I’m not marketing expert.

Hope your right, would be a great way to market new name. Just surprised has taken this long. I have a feeling the Jets name will not be used. I understand why, but really too bad. The moniker is so widely used in that province for hockey there.

I’d rather Wisnieswski than Markov. I am tired of hearing how the Habs were missing their best defenceman and if he was back yadda yadda yadda. Time to move on. Trade his rights while there’s still time.

• Bugs says:

Why are you tired of hearing how we were missin our best defenceman, Double-H?
      Is it your contention that his presence in the series wouldn’t've affected the outcome of ANY of the games in ANY way?
      I’m not implying you would be wrong about it; I just wanna get you on record.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• savethepuck says:

When I am compiling a list of the top 10 DMen in the league I am probably putting Markov’s name on that list or at least I have him close. The Wiz does not even get my consideration eventhough I like him as a Hab.

20. TorontoHabsFan says:

Uh-oh…looks like the nattering nabobs of negativity are out in full force today :)

Batten down the hatches! A hard rain’s a gonna fall!

21. Old Bald Bird says:

How in blazes can anybody know that they’re “going to” offer Hammer a contract? Are we relying on mind readers? I mean, they may, but maybe somebody is just guessing.

• ed lopaz says:

if you read the article, Peter Svoboda, Hamrlik’s agent CONFIRMED TO LA PRESSE
      that Gauthier is now preparing an offer for Hamrlik.

When an agent makes a statement like that, you can accept it as Gospel truth.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Orrrr it could be a ploy by the agent to make it appear that there’s interest in his aging client….

• Natrous says:

Cause we all know that everything that comes out of the Montreal media is 100% accurate…

“But I said ‘PREPARING AN OFFER’, that doesn’t mean that he’s going to sign it!”

I’d give Hamrlik a one year deal for $5M if he can convince Gomez to retire.

• Bugs says:

Of course…the “offer” could be for 12.68$/hr, which maybe Hamr wouldn’t accept, bein a fine defenceman who’s used to makin big money.
        But hell, it’s more’n twice what I make so I can’t really judge these things properly.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I see. Still not sure which article it was, but I’m not sure of a lot of things in this world.

• BeeGee says:

Richard Labbé wrote the article and he’s of the credible sort. What the article says is that they are expecting an offer…

“Mais j’ai parlé avec Pierre il y a quatre jours, et je sais qu’il va nous soumettre une nouvelle offre.”

22. AllHailTheFlower says:

Thank goodness – 5.5 million a season is too much to pay for a guy whose knee is held together with duct tape and bailing wire. Don’t get me wrong, I want Markov back – in top form and good health, he’s still one of the best defencemen in the league. But I’d temper the concerns about his knee with a one year deal at maybe 3 million – make it through the season first, then we can talk about something long-term.

And for the love of Pete, do NOT re-sign Hamrlik – that’s just a step in the wrong direction.

• HalifaxHabs says:

lol @ sign Markov to a 1 year deal at 3 million…

Reality check – we can say that’s what he is worth all we want as armchair GM’s, but he’ll be getting over 5 million/year, injuries or no.

• G-Man says:

5.5 to 6mil. Expecting him to take a reduction in salary is madness.

• ed lopaz says:

love markov and Subban – world class talents

Gorges – excellent team guy, great on the PK

Gill – slow, but effective on PK, actually improves game during playoffs

If we have Emelin and Weber as our 5 and 6 mixed in there, I would not be thrilled , but I would not complain.

I would be excited to see Emelin play, and I always liked Weber.

Adding Emelin and Weber as regulars would make us younger and quicker, and in the case of Emelin at least, nastier.

• JayBee says:

His knee was completely rebuilt. He should be as good as new. What bothers me is Markov does not seem to know how to take a hit.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I’m not sure about him not knowing how to take a hit. I get what you’re saying because of the nature of those 3 injuries we all watched with disgust… but the guy had a long pro hockey career before that, and I don’t remember him having any problems taking hits.

It makes me anxious to think about, here’s hoping for no more knee injuries for him.

• DearyLeary says:

Oh come on now. Did you see the last two knee injuries? The last one especially was ultra flukey. The first one was Grabovski getting a little revenge.

At 27 people are saying that Wisniewski’s twice repaired knee is ok, I have no reason to believe that at 32 Markov can’t do the same.

• Hobie Hansen says:

That’s true but at least Wisniewski has played two years on his knee without issue and is better than he has ever been before.
          Markov could come back and be gimpy and timid and not the same Markov. He could also blow out his knee again.

• kirkiswork says:

If we don’t give him 5.5 mil some other team surely will. Anyway if he gets injured long term his salary doesn’t count against the cap.
      If you don’t pay him what he is worth we will lose him.
      I’m sure P.G will give him at least 5.5 if not 6.

23. Stuck_in_To. says:

DearyLeary mentions below that if the Hammer is signed, we’d have 7 D-men who’d expect to play every night. But wouldn’t that be the same with the Wiz? And between the Hammer and the Wiz, who would be more effective playing reduced minutes? I would suggest it is the Hammer. The Wiz needs to be involved in the play and have the opportunity to join the attack to be full value for any money he is paid.

Another point worth mentioning was brought up by BeeGee in another thread. Signing roster players is a form of stockpiling resources when you have little in the way of trade potential in your farm system and the UFA pool is thin. Spacek and Hammer might look like dead-weight now but what happens later in the season when the attrition finally catches up with teams and the injury lists grow? The least we can hope for is draft picks but there is always the possibility for more.

So maybe we sign the Wiz too.

Stay positive Habs fans! ; )

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Guys I think Hamrlik can still play. He was forced to play increased minutes last year but if he were to be our 6th defenseman I’d be happy with that.
    But like everyone is saying, If Spacek is still in the picture too, that’s complete garbage.
    Gill works will with Gorges and Subban and like I said; if Hamrlik was our 6th defenseman I could live with that. But If Gill-Hamrlik-Spacek are in the same 6-man unit…THAT”S A JOKE!

• JayBee says:

That’s fine, but the odds are Markov will get hurt again, and guess what? Hamr will be logging more minutes than he should. The last 2 years, Hamr has logged way too many minutes so it’s understandable that he was absolutely gassed last year. Depth is fine, but we have too many old, slow, non-physical dmen.

I wonder how much Kaberle will ask for? Not sure if I want him though.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Kabrle is like Spacek but with some legs left.

Soft, sometimes gutless but with an offensive upside. The bad outweighs the good.

Believe me, I don’t really want Hamrlik and especially Spacek on this team.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Kaberle was awful during the playoffs.

Then again so were all the Bruins except Thomas and maybe Marchand.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Well Horton had a handfull of goals and a couple series winners before he was hurt.

Chara, McQuaid, Ferrence and the rest of the bruins D were real solid.

Recchi played great for a 43-year-old, Kelly and Peverley were great role players and Krejci led the playoffs in scoring.

Bergereon earned his salary and more as well.

But besides that and winning the Stanley Cup they were awful.

• ed lopaz says:

Well Hobie, lets do the math.

Gill has been re-signed: thats 1

Spacek’s contract can not be bought out, moved, etc, and everyone agrees that he’s not exactly the “best” trade bait: thats 2

habs are now offering Hamr a deal.

Looks VERY LIKELY that we get the Trifecta here!!

“Holy Incontinence Batman!! ”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Well the Bruins must be just licking their chops!

Well maybe they will after they stop partying and laughing about how they had the last laugh against Montreal…

• Mike D says:

The Hamr can definitely still play, but what’s the point in signing him if we have Gill or Spacek (or both as is likely to happen)? I love Hammer and my hat’s off to him for playing beyond expectations to help cover our injured blue line the past couple seasons, but it’s time to say goodbye.

Don’t do it PG!

- Honestly yours

25. HabFanSince72 says:

I broke the Hamrlik rumour 4-5 days ago already.

At the time I also asked for suggestions on what to do this winter during Habs games, because if we’re going with Hamr and Spacek and no Wiz, and more of the same Jacques Martin boring hockey, watching the games is out of the question.

Remember when we got outshot like 60-20 by Nashville?

More of the same on its way, folks.

• ed lopaz says:

I agree completely with ’72 here.

Watching hockey is about being “entertained” first and foremost.

I started watching more Major Junior hockey.

Those are young men out there playing for their careers!!

• J_P says:

I agree.

Coming out of the lock-out, I maybe missed 2 or 3 games a season. The first season jacques Martin took over there was still excitement because of all the new additions so i probably still watched 70. Last season, I probably didn’t watch more than 50. Especially if we gave up a couple of early goals, there was no push back from the habs, and you never got the sense they would pull out the win.

Jacques Martin needs to go. After the game against the bruins in these past playoffs where the habs were playing defensive hockey to hold the lead while on the powerplay, I had enough (actually, I already had enough with him the day he was hired, but I just can’t stand the guy as a coach).

26. dre1744 says:

I say no to the Hammer!!!!!!!!!

27. aemarchand11 says:

Habs should draft Tyler Biggs, if he is the punishing force of the draft then we need him. 2nd/3rd liner with physicality, in a heartbeat this should be done. We have the speed and talent, now we need the size and grit.

“I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man.” – Charlie Sheen.

• Talik Sanis says:

If he falls to the second round and we have a pick there, sure, though I’d much rather Kucherov or Lessio. Biggs doesn’t have the high end offensive upside that I would like to see us go after in this draft. I still have concerns, however, that Gautier will like his size, physical prowess and “intangibles” such as leadership, not realizing the obvious that being more developed in these areas as an 18 year old, will not necessarily translate into being dominant in these areas as an adult.

Other teens who get by on greater skill, while being less developed emotionally and physically, have the chance to catch up to him, while still possessing the same higher end offensive talent they do now.

28. BeeGee says:

PG to make an offer to Hamrlik according to Lapresse’s Richard Labbé

• BeeGee says:

Bye Bye Wiz

• JayBee says:

WTF?

I don’t mind Hamr, but with him, Spacek and Gill, we’re way too old and slow on the back end. I really hope Spacek is traded. I can also see Weber getting traded and that would really piss me off.

I thought we were supposed to get younger on the back end?

• BeeGee says:

My thoughts exactly… Starting to look like PG wants to ice pretty much the same team next year. Me no happy.

• ed lopaz says:

….way too OLD, SLOW, and SOFT.

Did you see Hamr watching as Horton stood 2 feet from Price and potted that huge goal against us??

WInning the battles in the “blue paint”, thats the “toughness” the habs are lacking – at both ends of the ice.

Its time to turn that around, and Hamrlik is NOT the answer.

• JayBee says:

I think Hamr’s one of the more tougher D-men on the Habs which is not saying much LOL. But really, if Gauthier thinks that nearly beating Boston means the team is ready to contend, he’s completely lost.

I have no problem bringing back Hamr as long as Spacek is GONE! If Gauthier somehow does this and adds a top 4 D-man I’d be happy.

But on the flipside, would you rather Hamr at $3M or a good scoring winger at that pricetag? Cuz I can see Gauthier spending a lot of money on D and signing an old, washed up vet for the 4th line….and doing nothing else to address the issues in the top and bottom 6.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Jacques Martin hockey. Slow and soft.

29. DearyLeary says:

The mock draft is hilarious. We had Pierre “I Can’t Believe the Habs didn’t Hire Me” McGuire picking for us. So he goes off board and takes a wildly inconsistent forward (who scored 24 of 27 goals in the first half of the season, and then disappeared).

Now, when the Canadiens don’t follow his advice on friday night, he’s going to smash them, calling Gauthier/Timmons shortsighted blah blah blah…

I’m not overly excited for this draft, no real scoring wingers are jumping out at me at our spot in the draft, they all have ‘work ethic’ issues which screams AK46 to me.

• DearyLeary says:

Side Note: Can someone explain the Hamrlik offer? That would put us at 7 defencemen that would for sure expect to play every game.

Markov, Gorges, PK, Gill, Spacek, Hamrlik, and Emelin.

• RGM says:

Can you explain what you mean by “the Hamrlik offer”? Is there something rumoured to be out there for him?

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Spacek can “expect” to play every night all he wants.

• Viruk42 says:

With the age of Spacek and Hamrlik, and the uncertainty of Emelin in the NHL, it gives them a decent trio of Dmen for the 3rd pairing. Both Spacek and Hamrlik have been playing too many minutes the last 2 years, what with Markov being out, and last year with Gorges out. Bring them down in minutes and they’ll do a decent job.
        It also means they have a backup Dman that they know can pull more minutes (if needed) in case of injuries, or in case Emelin turns out to be junk in the NHL. Not to mention leadership and such.

Personally I think resigning Hamrlik is a decent idea – depending on the money. If he gets ~2mil, then I like it. Anything over 3mil and I don’t. Even at 2.5, I’m not sure.

30. HalifaxHabs says:

Here’s something to make us all feel good.

Last night TSN did a re-draft of the last 2 years, first rounds of the NHL draft, just to see how opinions and evaluations of players has changed.

The player who moved up the most over the last 2 drafts was Tinordi :)

They moved him up 14 spots on last years draft board.

Here’s what that nimrod Craig Button had to say about him:

“When you look at Tinordi, he’s much like his dad. He’s raw, so it will take him a little bit of time to really realize that full potential. [He needs to] understand what a presence he can be in a game, not just with his size, but with his physical play with his offensive play, with his ability to shut other teams best players down,” Button stated. “I think he’s the type of guy when you start looking ahead, he’s a 25-28 minute-a-game player in all situations.”

I LOVE IT!!!

• DearyLeary says:

I’d say that’s a pretty big leap in logic. If he were truly going to be a 25-28 minute horse, why only draft him at 8th?

I want to believe it, but I think Button’s just trying to balance out McGuires Canadiens hate.

• HalifaxHabs says:

point taken, but when we are talking about something so many years out, there’s no harm in enjoying a good review is there?

• DearyLeary says:

I would love to have gotten the steal of the draft. I just don’t think that Tinordi has shown anything that would suggest he’ll be a horse in the NHL.

I could be wrong. In fact, I would love to be proven wrong. I’m hoping to see a few Knights games next season, so I’ll have a better idea how Tinordi’s progressing. He will also likely make the American junior squad, so he’ll get some national exposure to boot.

I am curious. By all accounts Tinordi is a big, mean SOB, which is something we’ve sorely lacked on the back end. If he can learn to make a good first pass, and improve his skating, then yeah it’s possible. I don’t, however, think I would make the same leap that Button did, because from what I’ve heard it took him a while to adjust to the pace of the OHL. We just have to see how he deals with increased minutes and a bigger role next year.

• Viruk42 says:

I saw him play in Ottawa last year…I tried to watch out for him, but didn’t see much. Pretty sure he had an own-goal at a time when he had 0 goals on the opposing nets, but I don’t remember how that happened. I dunno, maybe he picked it up late, but I remember being very underwhelmed.

He was the sort of “captain” though, perhaps a good leader. I don’t think anyone on London had a C or an A, but he took the ceremonial faceoff despite starting on the bench. Boxscores list him as the only A on the team, no Cs.

Then again, they also only had 15 skaters that game, I think I remember hearing there was some sort of flu or something going through the team…So that could explain both his play and his leadership.

31. Hobie Hansen says:

If Markov were a poker hand you’d be hoping your pocket jacks would hold up against numerous callers.
    It will be a gamble for sure with Markov and everytime a power forward is closing in on him in the corner there will be some tense moments.
    It will be great if he comes back and puts the injuries behind him and plays like his old self but it’s a gamble with lots of trap doors.
    I still wouldn’t be too upset if they went with Wizniewski of has been injury free for longer period of time.

• pmaraw says:

markov is fine in the corner, until he tries to throw a hit.

• ed lopaz says:

Im beginning to believe that Wiz was NEVER part of the plan.

Islanders were unloading salary and picking up a 2nd rounder was a good way for them to get that done.

Gauthier was filling a hole, but Wiz was never part of the “master plan”,

Also, Wiz has a few traits that Martin can not stand.

Wiz creates offence – Martin lives eats and craps defence.

Wiz plays with an edge, nasty, unruly, and at times takes penalties – Martin’s edge has been dulled over these last 30 years, his mojo has long left him, and any aggressive penalty is met with a full diaper of Martin disdain.

• JayBee says:

LOL, what plan?

Anyways, you’re probably right.

I’m hearing that the Habs are going to offer Hamrlik a contract. If Hamr is on this team and Spacek is not traded, I’m going to lose my mind.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Exactly I’d rather have Hamrlik than Spacek but both of them together would be a very strange call.

It’s basically just Spacek that is brutal. Hamrlik can still play, maybe with a little bit of a reduced role, but Spacek just can’t keep up.

The amount of times last season that he was chasing the puck or out muscled in his own zone was painful to watch.

• ed lopaz says:

Hobie – Hamrlik is tired and worn out.

Its time for him to buy a condo in del boca vista, fla, and hang them up.

Here, check it out on You Tube, Hamr, maybe you will get excited??

• ed lopaz says:

well we agree on Hamrlik and Spacek.

What I would challenge habs fans to do is to look around the league, and make a list of 37-40 year old d-men, that have the following in common:

1) have never won a cup

2) are not known for their physical play

3) are making 3.85 – 5.5 million per season.

lets’ try and make a list…..

so what do the other 29 GMs know that we don’t know??

• G-Man says:

Why do you think JM doesn’t want scoring? Are you daft?

• ed lopaz says: