Markov out ‘long term,’ Habs say

As secrets go, well, it wasn’t very secret.

Before tonight’s game, the Canadiens told the media that defenceman Andrei Markov has sustained an injury to his right knee, and that’s he’s out of action long-term, for an undetermined period.

It’s expected that Markov will be headed to Cleveland in the coming days, once swelling is sufficiently down, to consult with orthopedic surgeon Anthony Miniaci. It was Miniaci who rebuilt Markov’s ACL last May after he tore it during Game 1 of the Canadiens’ Eastern Conference semifinal in Pittsburgh.

1. VintageFan says:

Effectively immediately everyone who speaks about MAB as a replacement for Markov (If he actually completes rehab before Christmas) should be banned from ever publishing any comment about anything anywhere ever!!

2. savethepuck says:

Seriously Carey, we’ll forgive you now if you have 1 bad start.  17 starts and not more than 3 goals in regulation in any of them. 11-5-1 with 3 shutouts now.  Haven’t calculated his stats after this one but should bring his sve% up to close to 930 and GAA down close to 2.10.  I don’t care whaT OTHER GAOLIES IN THE nhl’S STATS ARE, i CAN’T IMAGINE ANYONE PLAYING BETTER THAN OUR GUY.  I have never posted anything negative about him since I joined this site and all summer after I found out he was going to be our guy, I repeatedly said he matured enough last year that this would be his season. I have to admit, what he is doing now is even way beyond my wildest expectations.  We have beaten 3 ELITE teams in our last 4 by at least 2 goals ( Vancouver, Boston, and now Philly) bring on the CAPS!

3. habsguy says:

you and I are 2 of the few who didn’t have anything nice to say about Carey,  I’ve always thought he would  be our guy!!

4. HabsPEI31 says:

Who’s calling who a nutcase? Mtl does NOT need to go out and spend precious cap space on a d-man to temporarily replace Markov. Mtl has played well since the beginning of the season without Markey: 8-3-1, I believe it now stands.

As it is, with Markov’s return eight games ago, O’B spent more time in the press box than in his jockstrap, hence he became expendable. If anything, Mtl will call up someone from Hamilton. Whomever may be available in the FA market will need time to get back into game shape before they are effective on our roster.

Considering how well the team has played in Markov’s absence, it would be unnecessary and foolish to spend precious cap space at this point in the season. 1 million, if the signing of MAB last year is used as an indicator (for what, 47 games?), is best saved for a real emergency at this point.

I would prefer not to panic, which is what you appear to be doing. Troll.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

5. observer says:

Are you a nutcase? you want the habs to not go out and replace the best defensive on the team and all the cap space they now have and YOU call yourself a fan of this team? seems to me you are definately a phoenix fan.

6. savethepuck says:

Very well said. About time someone did that.

7. JohnBellyful says:

Nicely put.

8. habsguy says:

Dave,  you’ve been around long enough to know the wolves aren’t happy unless they’re tearing someone apart !!!!

9. punkster says:

Here’s a suggestion. How about we spend some internet space wishing Markov well instead of arguing over when to dump him and who to get to replace him.

Good luck to you man. Take your time and come back to the game in top form.

10. matraque says:

Name has nothing to do with that… MAB saved our PP when Markov was down last season.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

11. Chris says:

Evidently, the curse of the “Favourite Player” line in my profile lives on…there is no way I’m adding any new roster players!

Saku Koivu – not re-signed.

Christopher Higgins – game falls apart, gets traded, game falls into the abyss.

Andrei Markov – two significant knee injuries in one calendar year as he heads into his contract year.

I hope that Markov has a speedy recovery and is able to return to his usual excellent level of play, but those a pair of knee injuries of this severity will be difficult to bounce back from.

12. habsforthecup says:

i am down with you putting every flyer, leaf, bruin and senator in that line ;)
    – A

13. observer says:

markov also had that tendon injury just before these 2. just bad luck.

14. MTLForever says:

just have to hope he recovers well and hopefully see him before seasons end

15. shiram says:

Heh the defence that just shut down the second best offence in the league?

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

16. observer says:

theres cap room use it to upgrade the defense END OF STORY!

17. Black Jacques Halak says:

NO MAB!!!!

I think Lukas Kryjeck is available as are a couple other unsigned OK D…  although we might have a few yung’uns who can do the job…

18. SmartDog says:

I don’t know much about this… but is that the right guy to go see?

———

‘The purpose of Habs Inside/Out is to teach people how to spell “traditional”.’
    And Bonne! goes the dynamite!

19. observer says:

OF COURSE LA PRESSE HOPES THAT. JUST BECAUSE OF HIS NAME BUT HABS HAVE CAP ROOM USE IT AND UPGRADE THIS TEAM.

20. _Habsoloutly_ says:

According to La Presse the habs will be going to MAB sometime in December when he’s ready to go from his rehab. Till then a replacement from the Bulldog’s.

21. observer says:

he wont play again this season. go out and get the best d-man available for trade.

22. Anonymous says:

No need for a trade, we don’t need Kaberle from you guys.

23. HabsPEI31 says:

Troll.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

24. Caballero says:

Argh! I am very very upset for Markov. Clearly these players are just pawns on a chess board for some, but Markov has been a great player on this team for a while. I hope he make a miraculous recovery gets a good contract to end his career in Montreal. Ok, now that the wishful thinking is done, I am not sure this conservative management will offer him f-all.