Markov out for three months?

While it will be several days before doctors can make a complete diagnosis, there are unconfirmed reports that defenceman Andrei Markov could be out of the lineup for as long as three months.

Markov suffered an injury to his surgically repaired right knee Saturday night when he had a knee-to-knee collision with Carolina’s Eric Staal as they chased a puck into the corner. Markov’s knee hit the board but it appeared that any damage had been done before then. He threw his gloves off immediaterly after the contact and punched the boards and he lay writing on the ice. Two teammates assisted him off the ice and he wasn’t putting any weight on his left leg.

It’s the third injury Markov has suffered in the past 13 months. He suffered a torn tendon when his leg was sliced by Carey Price’s skate in a freak asccident in the 2009-10 season opener in Toronto. He injured his knee in the second round of the playoffs of the playoffs against Pittsburgh and had knee surgery in the off-season. He missed the first 10 games of the regular season In the seven games since his return, Markov was averaging close to 23 minutes a game, had a goal and two assists and was a plus-2.

After the Canadiens traded Ryan O’Byrne last week, general manager Pierre Gauthier expressed confidence in Alexandre Picard and said the Canadiens had several defence prospects in Hamilton. That depth will be put to the test if Markov is out for an extended period.

The latest injury also puts any talk of a new contract for Markov on the back burner. He is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next July.

• Richard Labbé on the MAB solution

• Pierre Ladouceur on the Canadiens’ perfect week

In the 30 team league, here is where we place
    and how we have progressed this week. Keeping in mind, some teams have
    games in hand and the season is young.

Goals Against—36.  We are in  4th place.    Last week we were in 10th.

Total Points—–23.  We are in  5th place.    Last week we were in   7th.

Goals For——–46.  We are in 15th place.    Last week we were in  19th

A nice little move up, in all major areas.

2. Brassmonkey says:

Really? Are you Brain Burke’s progeny? If anything stay the course and give the youngsters a shot. As good as markov is I believe he is not the sole reason for the Hab’s success this season. everyone remain calm and do not panic…he will be back in plenty of time to help.

3. NightRyder says:

Seven. Three more than Markov. Two if you give Markov credit for Pittsburgh last year, which you can’t because he didn’t play enough.

I hate the Laffs too, but your suggestion that we should not acquire a highly skilled, four-time all-star as a stop-gap measure in an injury situation is inane.

4. krob1000 says:

Markov when healthy is our best player…..he has not yet been healthy this season.  PK makes Markov’s loss easier to digest than in years past…he is not yet Markov of course but at this point this season he has played as well as the not yet full form Markov easily IMO.  It was fantastic having two of them out there but I am not as concerned as in years past. With Markov we are a really good team, without we are still a good team….we never actaully fully hit our stride IMO….if Markov had stayed healthy for another couple of weeks I think we would have seen our full force ability.  Markov’s poise and uncanny ability to make something out of nothing is not replaceable and that is not by any stretch what I am suggesting….but with PK and us having no tyet experienced the real Markov this year…I don’t expect this should be much of a setback….assuming the others play as they have been.

NICE OODER,

We are a first class organisation my friend. We will take care of him you can be sure. If he can no longer make the roster next year, we will have another spot for him in the franchise if he wants it.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves here. He may come back strong.

6. BKAK72 says:

100% agree.

— I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! —

7. Dwayne33 says:

sorry Ian I usually agree with your insight. But I believe Kaberle is a great dman and would fit in good with his fellow countryman pleks.

8. ooder says:

I would just like to say something in regards to Markov’s contract.

Fans always talk about loyalty.. and how a player should be loyal to the franchise he plays for.

if a player isn’t loyal and snubs his team he is booed, regarded as heartless and in it for the money.

however, loyalty is a 2 way street…

for example plekanec has his worst statistical season in a contract year.. but Gainey believed in him, gave him a raise and the habs were rewarded with a 75 point campaign. Also, Pleks didn’t wait till july 1 to try and find the best deal and stayed with the habs for a very fair price.

Same thing for Carey Price.

Now, Markov has been with this team through the best and the worst. He was on the team when his teammate was Dykhuis and when we finished first.

He stuck with the habs through the best and the worst and through that became a fan favorite, help bring the PP constantly to the top, became one of the leagues best d-men and became an on as well as off ice leader.

He didn’t run off to another city as soon as his contract expired and stayed with the habs, although he could be making way more money elsewhere, as well as play in a way less pressured market.

now it’s Markov who is in tough, and if the organization doesn’t put faith in him and stand by him during his hardships like he did with Montreal then i really don’t think we can call the habs “the classiest organization in hockey”

——————

88 is the new 23

9. NightRyder says:

“when he’s on there aren’t many who are better”

You cannot possibly be serious.

A. When is he ever on, as in $7.5M a year ‘on’?

B. I don’t have enough space on 10 message boards to list everyone who is better.

C. If you have ever been in a locker room, you know the players who suck for extended periods of time rapidly lose any influence they might have had.

10. jimmy shaker says:

I think it will be like this:

PK with Gorges on the first pair

Hammer and Spacek

then Gill with Picard

In a perfect world, here would be the pairings

PK/Markov

Gill/Gorges

Dandenault/MAB

SHaker

So he has won how many play off rounds Craig ??

Georges & PK

Hammer & Spacek

Gill & Picard

Or exchange (PK & Picard) But the other two stay together. Me thinks

13. habitual says:

Size matters on D, Tom.

White had one good year in Toronto, and has done nothing in Calgary.  He has 6 points and is – 10 this year …  16 games in …

14. NightRyder says:

Kaberle has played more playoff games than Markov.

15. Storm Man says:

This is not Xbox 360 EA sports here…..

16. RandyKlemola says:

The names that top my list would be Semin (LW), Moulson (LW), Backes (Centre) and maybe Upshall (RW).

17. Storm Man says:

I just think White is not the guy I would like to see on this team. I would go into more detail with you but some friends have come to the house going to watch some football and play some pool. Cheers for now.

Kaberle,!!!  Give me a break, it would take 6 months, just to get the odder off of him first. And a full year to deprogram him, playing so much time with a looser.

19. Storm Man says:

If you had a chance to see White live and just watch him for 20 mins you would change what you think of him. Emelin is who we need next year.

20. TomNickle says:

Even then we only have four defensemen under contract.

21. TomNickle says:

Depends on the injury he took last night if he took one at all.  He could’ve just hit it hard on Staal’s knee and it could be bruised.

If he needs another surgery, I wouldn’t re-sign him personally.  But I would make damn sure I had an assurance that Emelin was jumping the pond prior to cutting ties with him.

22. Storm Man says:

Oh……… That is better, I was thinking you were talking about making a trade for White, I still would not want to see him here. If we could get stud from the KHL here next year I would be happy.

23. TomNickle says:

Because they’re a bad hockey team.

Who sees the opposing teams’ top lines on the road Tim?

Jarome Iginla is -6, does that make him a bad hockey player?

24. Dwayne33 says:

I think The Habs should talk to Toronto. Offer a couple of draft picks(the Leafs are in desperate need of these) and maybe a prospect for Kaberle. He would look great in Montreal.

25. adam76 says:

True – but as you know, once you start on the “acl pain train” – you’re always one shift away from the end of your career.  With Markov turning 32, is it worth the risk?

26. Storm Man says:

Ok tell me why in the top 6 dmen in Calgary he is the only one with a -…. A 10 at that worst on the team btw Iggy is next with a -6.

27. TomNickle says:

What’s the price?  I’m not talking about a trade, I’m talking next summer when he’s a ufa.

I’d rather pay $3-$3.5 million annually on a 2 or 3 year deal for him than sink a ton of money into another ufa or trade assets for somebody else in a panic move.

28. Storm Man says:

In all the games I have went to live and watched the other teams go at White and burn him time and time again. I understand you like him, But I feel he would not do well at all here and for the price it would take to get him.

29. TomNickle says:

Jesus Tim.  A -10 on one of the worst teams in the NHL playing on a bad hockey team.

White’s a good fit for our hockey team.

You think Spacek or Hamrlik would be fairing better in Calgary?

It’s all about fit.  White fits.

30. krob1000 says:

The thing I have noticed about Markov is how despite him not playing up to his ability yet that he makes others change their games….PK, Hammer, even Spacek have been jumping into things…

I think PK is pretty close to Markov on that first pass actually….never imagined it possible and it may not fully be but PK is an elite puck moving dman…already.  The threat with him is twofold…he can skate it out and pass it out….I think he is getting the puck out of our end better than anyone right now on pure athleticism alone.

After seeing the clip I think best case scenario is a 3 or 4 weeks.  Even if it is just a mild tweeking given it is his surgically repaired knee they would still be cautious….with our team looking very good right now and with cap space, assets, goaltending, team d,etc…..I can’t see them taking any chances…..it may actually be better for him to be out a while so he returns completely healthy. To me it was with him out that is when the team became a team anyway….last year it was Marky’s absence that forced the team defense concept upon us, had guys buy in fully and the results carried it forward IMO…

31. Storm Man says:

White is a -10 Giordano is a plus 4 Bouwmeester is a plus 3 and Saric is a plus 5…. You must be watching the Flames games in 3D to think White is that good.

32. TomNickle says:

If anything is certain, it’s that he’ll be a lot cheaper now that what he would’ve been without this injury.

33. johnblaze00 says:

anyone who thinks bieska is a good dman is an idiot and clearly hasn’t watched many canuck games.

i would take O’B back instead of Bieska.

34. adam76 says:

A 31 year old nhl dman with poor knees – I hope this franchise logically looks at his injury(s) before offering  any type of longterm contract.

35. Storm Man says:

it would have been but his coach saved his neck….. It was getting red.

36. TomNickle says:

A puck moving defenseman can’t be successful on a team with no skill.

Ian White and Jay Bouwmeester can’t thrive on that team without skill up front.

37. Storm Man says:

I must be watching the wrong White that wears number 3 and play’s in Calgary. Who is the guy you are taking about?

38. TomNickle says:

You have to consider the situation that he’s in Tim.

The Flames have no offense.  None.  They don’t have any skill up front with an aging Iginla and they don’t like their coach.

It’s not easy to be a puck moving defenseman on a team that has no skill up front, just ask Jay Bouwmeester.  Or better yet, ask Tomas Kaberle, John Michael Liles, Mark Streit and Ryan Suter.

White would thrive in this lineup.

39. Duracell3 says:

Tanguay basically doesn’t have shoulders, he has surgeries nearly every off-season.

40. Mike says:

What do you guys think the D pairings will be.

I can see something like:

Hammer-Subban

Spacek-Gorges

Gill-Picard

What do you think?

41. Mattyleg says:

There you are!! 😉

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. Storm Man says:

Tom…. For real have you watched Ian White play? he is a -10 ,come on makes me sick to say this but MAB would be a better fit. I have season’s tickets to the Flames in which I give away unless a good team comes to town. Ask some Flames fans what comes to mind when you bring up Whites name.

43. TomNickle says:

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.

White would step into our lineup and immediately be our second most physical defenseman behind Subban, who is only 6’0 feet tall by the way.

44. Duracell3 says:

As little regard I have for Burke, I think Sather found literally the only possible taker for Gomez in the league, I find it unbelievable that any other team would touch that contract.

45. HabsFanNorway says:

GREAT NEWS! 3 months would be great! Well rested come playoff time! (Only trying to stay positive)

Everyone from Sweden, Finland (swedish speaking), Norway, Denmark: Join the Facebook group “Montreal Canadiens Fan Club Scandinavia”!

46. HabFab says:

Believe that Savard himself said that the injuries slowed him down physically BUT forced him to play smarter and become better all round.

47. Duracell3 says:

Holy crap Ed Jovanovski lol.

Don’t worry, we can just get McCabe.

Granted, he’s our best defenseman and probably our best player, we’ll be fine no matter how long it takes. We are very deep at the back end, I have a great amount of confidence in Picarde, Weber, Henry, and Carle. I would rather have them play 15 minutes than Spacek playing 25.

The only thing that is questionable is how Markov’s long-term recovery will be. If all the damage was from the knee-on-knee hit, that suggests that it was pretty fragile, awkward angle but not exactly a huge amount of contact. It’ll be interesting to see what he is deemed to be worth.

48. habitual says:

I agree with the sentiment of your 13:08 posts, I’ve been saying we’re in for in with D next year for a couple of weeks.  I can’t agree with some of your suggestions though, White is 5’10, Pitkanin has never stuck with teams, and Erhoff wants a lot of money.  Adding Bieksa means 3 D who are UFAs next year.

49. TomNickle says:

Did we score 5 on Ward?  No

Next question!

Haha.

50. TomNickle says:

Wrong on all three Tim.

Ian White can play the powerplay, penalty kill, awesome first pass, great shot, great speed and doesn’t shy away from contact despite his small stature.

Pitkanen is comparable offensively to Markov and has as sound of positioning for a defenseman that you’ll find.

I noticed you didn’t quote my comment yesterday when I said that Gionta and Plekanec would score off the rush and that our pluggers would get one or two as well.

4 goals off the rush.

51. Storm Man says:

He was pulled and that is the only reason.

52. TomNickle says:

Burke won’t take Gomez.  Notice how he only gave him a token invitation to the Olympic camp last summer for team USA.  I don’t think Gauthier or Geoff Molson would want to trade Gomez anyway to be honest Brad.  He’s great in the room and when he’s on there aren’t many who are better.

There’s no replacement for Markov on the UFA market for next summer but the closest thing to it on the left side is Pitkanen.

I absolutely think this team will make a run at Ian White if the cost is right.  He fits perfectly due to his variety of skills and versatility in a lineup.

53. Storm Man says:

Do you think Burke is high on coke? He would never do a trade to help the Habs…. He would pour more gas on this team to help the fire not put it out.

54. LA Loyalist says:

I’ve heard people from that time say that Savard would have been even better offensively if he’d not had those injuries. Can you imagine?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

55. Storm Man says:

For what it may take in a deal Tom, Bieksa could be a good fit. You don’t want Ian White and Pitkanen is not going anyplace. I think at this point the price is right for Bieksa.

56. TomNickle says:

I said we would never get 5 on Ward, and we didn’t.

57. LA Loyalist says:

Tom – as you and I usually disagree, I’d like your perspective (and guys):

1. Burke badly needs scoring.

2. Burke hates Kaberle.

3. Notwithstanding my personal vendetta against nOmez, Burke may think he would be good to get the puck to Kessel. We’d have to throw in someone else. Would you do it, who else would Burke want/Could we trade?

It solves 2 problems, helps cover for Markov (Kaberle is no Markov, but he’s skilled) and pays for it by moving nOmez who’s useless to us anyway.

?

58. Storm Man says:

Never say never Tom? I guess what I said about the Habs scoring 5 last night was way off… 7 was the magic number. Enjoy the games today 🙂

59. TomNickle says:

You know what scares me?  The fact that Ian White, Joni Pitkanen, Trevor Daley, Christian Erhoff, James Wiesnewski and Mark Stuart are on that list and Bieksa is the guy you want.

No offense intended here but those players, and by those players I mean every single one of them, are head and shoulders better options and fits for this team than Bieksa.

And you’re not solving a problem with lack of numbers by adding Bieksa to to a defense corps that only has Spacek, Subban and tentatively Gorges under contract for next year.  That’s only four guys if you add Bieksa.

60. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll spare you all with the MAB rants, as I know you all know where I stand in the matter.

Shaker

61. hab_skill says:

After looking at that list, I would not like to re-sign Markov and Hamrlik. I would like to re-sign Gill and Gorges and also sign Bieksa.

62. TomNickle says:

Never say never but I think that the team is high enough on Picard that Bergeron’s phone won’t ring with Pierre Gauthier on the other end unless we sustain another injury on defense.

63. TomNickle says:

Now you go ahead and pick from that list and show me how we upgrade or even stay the course defensively by picking from that list.

64. Mattyleg says:

I’m waiting for the flood of pro-MAB posts from reliable sources now…

🙂

—Hope Springs Eternal—

65. TomNickle says:

Yeah, I saw that same comment from you last night.  And what do we do next season for defense?  That’s the problem with armchair general managers, no long term vision.

Next season we have Spacek and Subban under contract to play defense with Gorges as a restricted free agent.

You want Kaberle?  That’s going to be a bidding war, not something that the Habs like to get involved in.

Nash and Weber are only ready for spot duty, 10-15 games maximum.  Emelin is very likely ready but his decision to come over next summer might as well be a coin flip.

So where do we go to fill out our defense?  And please keep in mind that in the following off-season, that would be a year from this coming summer, we need to give Subban and Price contract extensions and we’ll still have Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta and Plekanec under contract.

66. Mattyleg says:

No, I disagree. He won’t be worried about being injured. That generally only happens to people who get head injuries, and as we’ve seen from David Booth, he’s right back in it, and not too concerned. It all depends on the player. Zednik’s hit ruined his career, but I think Marky’s made of stronger stuff.

And I love these Xbox GMs. Tradetradetrade!!! You can get 2,000 pucks for Markov if you trade him now!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

67. Mattyleg says:

Ah, the ol’ Atheist. Always ready to stir the pot, eh?

Any negative comments on the past few wins? No? Hm?

What a bore.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. Mattyleg says:

Unfortunately, breaks are mych easier to repair than ligament or tendon injuries.

I’ve got my fingers crossed.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

69. Mattyleg says:

I think the idea is that if it’s the same kind of thing as what happened to him before (and injuries have a way of reappearing) then that’s the diagnosis. It could be nothing, but I have a feeling it might be more of the same for poor Marky.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. LA Loyalist says:

You don’t trade from weakness, you trade from strength. Who would give us value for an injured guy, whomever?

You don’t trade your best player when he’s hurt, what message does that send to the other guys?

We didn’t keep Streit and it is the single biggest hole in our game (aside from Nomez, and the fact that Streit is out for the year 2.

You can present the argument to trade Markov when he’s going great and we can maximize value. Make your argument at that time.

71. TomNickle says:

I wasn’t aware that RDS had doctors on staff who could diagnose Andrei’s injury prior to the Habs doctors or consulting orthopedists rendering their diagnosis.

Anything for hits and viewers I suppose.  This could be as simple as it was a lot of pain and it scared him, it could be as serious as another tear, we don’t know, neither does RDS.

Regardless, this team faces yet another obstacle which will strengthen their character and show them that they can be successful despite severe losses, next man up needs to be the reaction to injuries.

72. soperman says:

Geez I hope this is report is bogus.  And Markov is not injury prone, no one could have gone uninjured in his situation.  Tanguay was soft – he was hurt on pretty lame plays.

73. oldrrty says:

Didn’t Savard seriously break the same leg twice within a year at the start of the 70’s? Since we all know how the end of the 70’s turned out for him, lets just relax and think positive okay?

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

74. WestHab says:

I’m going to keep this short cause my post don’t always get through.

Marki, GET WELL SOON!

75. MontrealAtheist says:

Markov should be traded next chance we get … He is too fragile and gets injured too easily. Sure, he’s great when he’s fit and in top form, but how often does that happen? For much of the past 12 months he has been injured and taking up valuable cap space that could have been put into better use.