Markov out for this series: report

Worth a thousand words: Canadiens coach Jacques Martin speaks at morning skate to forward Andrei Kostitsyn.
Pierre Obendrauf, Gazette

* FLYERS: Peter Laviolette | Scott Hartnell 1 and 2 | Danny Briere | Arron Asham | Mike Richards

CANADIENS: Jacques Martin | Glen Metropolit | Hal Gill | Tom Pyatt

A Sportsnet report says that Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov will not be available to the team this
playoff round, his injured right knee not having recovered sufficiently
to return.

Markov did not skate this morning, nor did he
practice yesterday after he was in obvious discomfort during the team’s
Friday practice in Brossard.

Sergei Kostitsyn was back on practice ice, maybe a little bit out of head coach Jacques Martin’s dog house. Unlikely he’ll play tonight.

Nor is Ryan O’Byrne expected to be in the lineup. He took extra practice this morning with Kostitsyn and Ben Maxwell, with defenceman Paul Mara skating at the other end of the rink.

Above: a roundup of comment following this
morning’s game day skates at the Wachovia Center, site of tonight’s
first game in the Eastern Conference final.

P.K. Subban playfully wraps up fellow defenceman Hal Gill during morning skate.

Pierre Obendrauf, Gazette

1. MontrealAtheist says:

Well, that’s probably why the TSN commentator called his play “almost Halakian”.

2. Les Habitants says:

LOL! awesome! The likeness is uncanny!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

3. Les Habitants says:

They should send Halak down to stop the oil leak in the gulf, He could stop anything!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

4. kempie says:

And the big dumb Sharks look like they’re gonna go down at home to the faster, more skilled Hawks. Hmmmmm. Hope this trend continues.

5. sm00re says:

Well done – looks real!

6. sm00re says:

Well done – looks real!

7. Danno says:

Parts of Greenland got to tune in at 7:00 pm for the Hawks vs Sharks.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. adam76 says:

I’m loving the afternoon hockey.  Steak, beers and the NHL.

Tradition is a guide and not a jailer

9. slapshot777 says:

Goals:  Alex Henry, Mike Glumac, Ryan Russell

Assists:  Brock Trotter (2), Grant Stevenson, Shawn Belle, David Desharnais

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Go tear your ACL and try walking, go ahead, try it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s NBC, which thinks afternoon hockey is a traditional NHL experience.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

O’Byrne should be in, we could’ve used his muscle against the Flyers Cavemen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. bostonantifan says:

Why isn’t O’Byrne in the lineup? He’s the only true heavyweight on the Canadiens. He may not be the second coming of Larry Robinson, but you can’t tell me that he isn’t better than Bergeron on the blueline. With the extremely limited ice time that Metropolit and Darche got the last couple of games, the Canadiens could definitely afford to go with O’Byrne over one of them. Martin has done a good job in the playoffs, and I hope this works, but I feel he’s making a mistake not having another big body in the lineup against these goons.

14. adam76 says:

Well McGuire is never wrong.

15. adam76 says:

I heard the nhl is putting microchips in the pucks – so that Bettmen can control via magnets – when a puck goes in or stays out.

16. salshabs says:

Here we go again…Logically, the habs should come out on top in this series if, Halak remains Halak, the D-men continue their heroic efforts, and the forwards help out in both ends, while Cammy does his thing. Plus, the Habs just played against two teams who are far superior to the Flyers in almost all ways. The speed of the habs game should be at a higher level than the speed of the Flyers, who just played against the slow footed Bruins.

Furthermore the Flyers, just played a bad Bruins team that couldn’t score, even if they were shooting at soccer nets. As such, Leighton, is so far, extremely untested/undertested. Therefore, logically, the quicker more skilled Habs forwards, should be 1) too much/quick, for the Flyers D-men to handle and 2) too skilled for the lowly Lieghton.

The Flyers are obviously hoping their physical game will present a problem, that the Habs have not had to contend with in any major way, up until now. The larger Caps, and Pens players really did not test the Habs in a hughly physical sense, (actually, they couldn’t catch the quicker Hab players). The Habs will have to play the  advantage they should gain in this series, namely the penalities the Flyers should incur as a result of their aggressive style, by making sure their power play keeps that part of the Flyers game in check.  If they can reduce the so-called physical advantage, the Flyers are hoping to capitalize on this series, this will be over quickly, and, the Habs will off to the finals.  Go Habs!!

17. slapshot777 says:

I see that our Bulldogs have taken 2-0 games lead over the Stars with a 3-1 win this afternoon.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

18. bostonantifan says:

How many players who have injured ACL’s have you seen return within a few games?  This isn’t some slight bruise he suffered.  It would be idiotic for him to rush back and risk permanent damage to his knee so that he’d be useless to the Habs in the future.

19. Danno says:

Scott Hartnell getting ready for the big Cinderella vs Cinderella matchup.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

20. slapshot777 says:

I’d love to see AK46 break out and have a huge series.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

21. slapshot777 says:

Two periods played in game 1 and San jose doesn’t have a penalty called Chicago has 4.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

22. Shublips says:

That is a great pic of AK46 with JM.  Looks like a good conversation and, judging from his body language, looks like AK is listening.

Who esle thinks he wakes up in this series?

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

23. slapshot777 says:

See this is where consistency comes in when officiating a hockey game. The NHL officials just NOT consistent. I agree that penalty on Chicago was a late call and didn’t seem like it was going to be called until another Shark player pointed it out. Devorski makes himself look like an idiot for calling it.

On another note, Chicago was suppose to be a team without goaltending. So far from what I have seen in the playoffs Nemi has played very well and today seems like it’s going to take a perfect shot to beat him or a bad deflection or bad bounce.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

24. kempie says:

Niemmi looks like he’s been watching Halak.

25. newbrunswick troy says:

Unfortunitly  he will put the fix (as best and subtle as he can) on the teams that give the most viewers to NBC…as i,v heard on satalitte radio…NHL getting a little closer to deal with NBC that actually will have them pay for rights to tellevise…(yes apparently as of now the don,t pay a cent!!!)  but if ratings hit certain marks they will sign deal…(see why its easy to come up with conspiracy theories)

26. slapshot777 says:

I know that Markov not playing we will miss his offensive output, but not nearly as much with P.K. He gives that mobility on the backend and the only two regular season games he played this year was against the Flyers and he plyed well against them.

Our boys have just got to stay within the game plan and utilize our speed and we should be fine. Nobody is giving the Habs a chance and that’s fine no extra pressure there. Let’s just quietly go about our business and good fortune should come our way.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

27. kempie says:

Duhvorski is such a mook.

28. adam76 says:

Man – I love afternoon hockey!!!

29. adam76 says:

Those were solid calls.  No such things as “Bettman’s refs”.

30. newbrunswick troy says:

Ya your right ..it could be a media induced stereo type..and by that is what i meant by no slander intended…however  in this particular player (Markov)  i,ve seen through his whole career he has not realy been all that “ lets say tough“   and my reference would be Ryan Smythe picking his teeth up off ice..and carying on with game….as seen with eric belanger  of the caps this year…..or Moen  back after just a game and 200 stiches across eye…  Now its probobly our media but can you give me any examples  of Europeans that endured through injury….cause i can,t think of any off top of my head..but i,m sure there are many tough motivated europeans

31. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good point about Bettman. However, can’t you also imagine him interested in seeing the Cinderellas who dumped his poster boys getting thoroughly beat up by the Bash Street Bullies (although actually, I don’t think they’re really that anymore. I mean, Dave Schulz…)

If the refs are truly Bettman marionettes, then no doubt he can engineer both things: Habs (esp Halak) get beat up, but not enough to lose, so that they can limp into Original Six final and lose to long overdue Hawks.

32. kempie says:

Who doesn’t hate Hartnell?

33. V. says:

I hear you, I feel exactly the same way. I hate the flyers too. I absolutely hate Pronger and I really don’t care if he is Canadian, I hate him. Even if he played for Montreal (shudder the thought) I would hate him. lol.

34. HUDSONHAB says:

I’m getting a feeling that people are giving the Flyers a “BIG” edge. It will be a more difficult series for the Habs but the Flyers have weaknesses and it’s up to the coaching staff to design a game plan to exploit them.

Question? With Bettman’s marque match up gone by the wayside, does he put the fix in for an Original Six Stanley Cup final?

Let’s jump on Philly in game one while their heads are still in the clouds.

….Hab4life….

35. ooder says:

what you talking about Gonchar (palying last year after taking a giant knee on knee with ovechkin) is a wimp.

Aldredsson playing with a torn stomach muscle is a wimp.

Selanne.. pshh don’t make me laugh

Vlochenkov… made out of fiber glass.

But then you have real tough north american guys like Rick Dipietro, Tim conolly…

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

36. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

“i worry he doesn,t have the pain threshold that a north american player
    would have”

You mean like Tanguay? Or do you mean like some other North American players who, like some other European players have an ability to play through pain. I haven’t seen any studies showing that pain threshold differs depending on the area of one’s birth (Don Cherry’s exhaustive work notwithstanding).

37. Rainrocket16 says:

yes so it is, well Puck Daddy is still a tool, he always thinks he know it all. Ryan Lambert is their worst blogger, I  agree.

38. Rainrocket16 says:

Damn, I thought Markov was doing well? Ok, we can do it with him sidelined, we did it last series. We need to protect Halak big time, the goons will be out to gun him right at the start, hopefully we just come out flying hard and send Leighton to the minors!!

39. MikeMcLaren says:

That’s not THE Puck Daddy (Greg Wyshynski) posting that column, it’s Ryan Lambert – their worst blogger by far.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

40. newbrunswick troy says:

We need a motivated Markov back asap….i worry he doesn,t have the pain threshold that a north american player would have..( not to be taken as slander)

Further i must admit that for the first time this playoff season i,m feeling different (and i bet the players are too) no longer is it habs against the world or the big up hill battle….Now the pundits are kinda favoring the habs..and i worry how much pressure this will put on this team that has shown through regular season it can,t handle a lot of pressure!!!!!they must find a way to see themselves as the underdogs in order to win!!!!

Finaly, i think for once a team will sort thier game plan to go against Habs…as obviously Caps,Pens didin,t…so i hope good old J.M is ready for some tweeking…cause i have a feeling the Bullies game plan is to pound the shat out of them for the first two games,and let the goal scoring happen by chance!!!!!

41. ABHabsfan says:

I can’t stand the F.Flyers and especially Hartnell. I have never wished abad injury on anyone but if that goof goes down, there would be no tears from this corner.
    Habs win in 5 because they are just too fast for Pronger and 3 other d-men to handle. Hartnell, Carcillo, et al will cause more PP time for the Habs then positives for the Flyers. I friggin’ hate the Flyers!

42. FSUPhi1584 says:

Upon investigating stats for this season’s games against the flyers,Hamrlik has 5 assists in 4 games and Subban has 2 assists in 2 games. MAB has been pretty effective as well; however, Gomez has been a minus in almost every game.

43. Bill J says:

Thanks Dave :D

44. Dave Stubbs says:

Technical difficulties. Habs posted now.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

45. terrygain says:

I hope the refs are on top of that issue

We can’t count on the refs, we’ve got to handle it ourselves. In Game 7 of  the Boston/Philly  series Richards left his feet to hit  Wideman, stripping him of the puck The charge was not called and Philly scored its first goal.

The keys to the series will be goaltending, bounces, breaks, coaching and refereeing  (some limb I’ve crawled out on, eh). I have supreme confidence that Jaro will outplay his opposite number. The bounces usually even out. As for breaks let’s hope that none of the TINY TRIO gets hurt.  We should win if  our coaching improves – starting with playing O’Byrne and limiting MAB to the 4th line and PP and not benching our only power forward if he makes a mistake.   And let’s hope that the refereeing  isn’t a factor and not be quiet if it is.

Habs in 6

46. Bill J says:

I’m starting to wonder, when exactly is “To Come”

“CANADIENS: To come”

Please tell me Ekl-youknowwho has not moved into Habs I/O territory ? lol

47. Danno says:

Big Bird, the Roadrunner and now the Budgie? What number is he?

Small and always in flight. #21? Bud-Gionta?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

48. Rainrocket16 says:

Puck Daddy is a complete tool, what experience does this guy have, what a joke. Flyers in 7, cuz they have come from behind against a beat up bruins team, please! We knocked of Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Semin..no credit for that?

49. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Great Compilation Video << Understatement.

50. Habifax says:

Watch out for the Flyers to run Halak. Particularly Hartnell. I hope the refs are on top of that issue or it will continue all series. That was the only thing the Capitals had going for them.

51. Rainrocket16 says:

I wonder how will we handle these goons..I believe that we can destroy them offensively, I just hope our boys keep their heads up, this will be a very ugly and dirty series. Pronger is a total waste of life. He always looks for the cheap shots, so does the toothless carcillo.

Lets hope we can withstand the goonerie love!

52. BKAK72 says:

I actually picked the HABS in 7 over Washington (yes, b/c the CAPS play in a weak division – and – have brutal goalies), my last round prediction was off a bit having picked the HABS in 6 (yes all true, too many PENS at the Olympics, too many games over 3 yrs).

Onto the Conference Final and here’s where the series will be finished quickly i.e. HABS in 5.  Flyers are emotionally spent.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

53. jimmy shaker says:

Just finished watching  some old time hockey on youtube.  The brawls vs Boston, the hextall on Chelios brawl, the cup run of 93, the A.Slayd rap song for the boys this year and to top it off…..I watched the whole 7min standing ovation the crowd gave the rocket.  Just simply awesome!  I had goose bumps the whole 7min watching it and remembering it!  SO, now I’m ready!  MAB, PP goal tonight and start this series off with a bang!

Shake and Bake, and I’m gone!

54. Bob_Sacamano says:

I don´t have CBC but do you mean this one?

Best hockey movie ever. Second best sports movie ever. Raging Bull is the Nr.1, of course.

55. DavidKB says:

Had seen it before, thought it was just as good the second time around. Just bought it along with Hockey: A People’s History from Amazon.

Richard lived at a time when racism, sexism, homophobia… had major influences on the lives of pretty much everyone. As a kid, you didn’t realize it, because, first of all you were a kid and secondly, it was just the way it was – still is in some parts of the world.

Go Habs! I think the Rocket would be proud of this team.

56. sprague cleghorn says:

My Dad used to tell me all the stories that are dramatized in that movie, and last night I got to watch them all with my son.  And that photo, the greatest hockey picture ever, signed by the Rocket and Sugar Jim Henry, hangs in our family room.  As I said to my son, “Being a Habs fan is not like being a fan of any other team”.  He proudly wears his Habs gear around Toronto, win or lose.

57. sholi2000.com says:

Next to “For the Love of the Game”, THE Rocket is my all time favourite sports movie.

They Call Me Shane

How did you like the Rocket Richard Movie on CBC last night?—-

Birth of a Team

59. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Great movie, plus you get to see Sean Avery get the snot knocked out of him!

I still can’t believe that this movie lost out to Bon Cop Bad Cop for movie of the year!

60. SeriousFan09 says:

I have that clip saved for MTL-Rangers games.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. adam76 says:

Gomez needs to calm the frack down.

62. fuhgawz says:

I have witnessed the same heart and determination within this years team during these playoffs that had been exemplified on a nightly basis by one of the greatest players to ever wear the Holy CH .. The Rocket. If all of our players find the fire within there is no stopping this team.

GO HABS GO

63. WatchMojo says:

Does anyone know if CBC.ca will be streaming the games?  And if so, if they will be available from the US?

NHL has a blackout due to the “national broadcast” (Versus)…

64. habs03 says:

Good news, yes it should be streaming live, bad news I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work in the U.S. But I’m sure you can find it on other websites such as ATDHE.NET or something.

P.S.  God I hate Briere

65. Lancer says:

usually it’s on cbc.ca live streaming for all the games since ottawa and toronto are out

66. Lancer says:

try it here but at game time only

67. dysonsphere says:

if you want cbc to stream outside canada (or to privately surf the full internet for any other purpose) try a proxy: http://proxy.org/

68. Lancer says:

We WILL win this series and probably in 5 or 6. Flyers going down, only
    sad thing is we will probably have to listen to Kate Smith before the
    games. hahahahalaaaaak!

69. adam76 says:

I don;t get that whole Kate Smith thing.  How can she be a good luck charm as they lose every season?

70. Bugs says:

Gill and Pronger aren’t pulling any punches. Quite nasty fare in the Underdog Royale.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

71. Rainrocket16 says:

This will be good series, I will not make a prediction. I will just enjoy where we are and how we got here!

72. JD_ says:

Having successfully completed both the Washington Capitals Meltdown 2010™ and Pittsburgh Penguins Meltdown 2010™ the NHL’s DestinyTeam 2010™, otherwise known as the Habs, continues down the righteous path to preordained glory as it heroically plows its way through the City of Brotherly Meltdowns.

We’re proud to introduce the Philadelphia Flyers Meltdown 2010 in all its unabashed glory. Infighting, dissent, love triangles, power struggles, and overall knuckle-draggin’ hijinks ensure that not only will the Flippers melt down like a Nestle Drumstick® in the back seat of a soon-to-be rear-ended Ford Pinto® but, in addition, Chris Pronger will continue to be the NHL’s undisputed DoucheKing™.

What do we know?

* Although a majority of talking heads appear to be favouring the Flyers, there is one notable problem: If you take the letters in “Philadelphia Flyers” and mix ‘em around, you yield “Lip Hype Heralds Fail”, and fail they will. In epic fashion.

* Although he long ago had control of the team wrested from his grubby mitts, former GM and resident mouth-breather Bobby Clobber continues to ClobberSlobber all over current GM Paul Holmgren, vigorously kharlamoving Holmgren’s ankles in a desperate attempt to come out ahead in a seemingly never-ending power struggle. Fallout from this vicious infighting is creeping into the dressing room and fueling the ongoing feud between Flyers captain Mike Richards and balloon-headed, overpaid goon Chris Pronger.

* Just read this mindless gibberish Richards spewed out after his team defeated the Broonz in game 7 of their series, “I’m still trying to make some sense of this. I’m speechless right now…But what are we supposed to say? I don’t know what to say.” The erstwhile team leader is obviously an inarticulate, blithering idiot who is destined to lead his team straight down through the ice and into a hellish meltdown.

* The Jeff Carter-Scott Hartnell-Mrs. Scott Hartnell love triangle is boiling over and has violently split the Flyer dressing room, with Scott Hartnell on one side and everyone else on the other, “Jesus, Scott, Look In The Mirror…Can You Really Blame Her?” side.

* Briere is a combination of Brie and Gruyere. Brie is soft. Gruyere is good for melting down. If you’ve ever had a good French Onion Soup, you know what I’m talking about.

There you have it: All the makings of an epic Meltdown in store for the boys from Philly. They don’t stand a chance. Won’t even know what hit ‘em.

So, sit back and relax, Hab fans: Your team of destiny will prevail.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

73. Chuck says:

Another fantastic preview, JD_!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

74. terrygain says:

Lip Hype Herald Fail

Brilliant. And his poor cousin is Ja Questin Marc?

75. HFX-HabFan says:

Awesome!  A brilliant piece of writing.  Keep it up!

76. slapshot777 says:

Outplayed? Leighton has only basically 1 stop to make and that was on Gomez in the first. The rest of the shots any of us could have stopped. How that Pyatt play is goalie inteference is beyond me.

Habs look disinterested. They can’t make a 5 foot pass and it has nothing to do with the play of Philadelphia. They are not skating, not shooting. Beregeron couldn’t stop a puck on the blueline. If he ain’t going to shoot the puck on the blueline than he shouldn’t be in the lineup.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

77. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

Les boys look like they haven’t played for a while, flat.  The end of the 1st looked better.  This first intermission will do them well.  2nd period should be better.

78. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

Or not. :-(

79. MontrealAtheist says:

3-0 … This is getting ugly … Looks like Halak is having one of those “I’m tired, I need some rest” days and is being outplayed big time by Leighton.

Can we please put Price in nets?

80. slapshot777 says:

Little slow out of the gate, but it takes a little while to see what your opponent is trying to do. Other than Gomez on the partial breakaway, we never had much from in close. I see that changing for us in the second.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

81. slapshot777 says:

The habs have to skate and if we skate we will get more odd man rushes. This will lead to more scoring chances which should also relate in goals.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

82. TPlow says:

Dear Scott Gomez: Dumbest penalty of the playoffs so far. Well done.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!'” — King’s X

83. Bill J says:

Well – Philly’s bad luck with her will be our good luck.

So there you have it, Kate Smith IS lucky…. Just not FOR Philly, their opposition benefits from the luck :D

84. vic says:

Thanks I forgot about sugar jim

85. slapshot777 says:

A referee who is calling a penalty should be looking at the play making the infraction. Yet I don’t know how Bollard escaped the infraction and Verteeg get it instead. You would think that the second referee would have noticed the number on the jersey. Both blew the call in regards to putting the correct man in the box.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

86. adam76 says:

That call was legit.  Plus – as I already explaind to you – the nhl is putting microchips in the pucks – so that Bettmen can control via magnets – when a puck goes in or stays out.

87. waisguy says:

I have been supportive of the big tit all year and have had to put up with my friends telling me my favourite boy in my favourite team is hopeless, but something tells me he’s going to start unleashing the monster that he could be. I mean you can see Jacque is telling him, “look son, you’re supposed to be our STAR, our Getzlaf and I know you can be that. I have belief in you. Yes you can!” I think now is the perfect time for AK to start producing and all will be forgotten about his subpar season if he wakes up and performs. Here is a hoping he pots 2 tonight with an assist. Go Habs!

88. SPATS says:

2 goals would be nice, I’d settle for some big hits from big tits

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

89. adam76 says:

Remember the time, right before Wrestlemania 4 when the Million Dollar man paid hunderds of thousnads of dollars to a fake referee so that he could do a fast count on Hogan to strip him of the WWE title?

that was awesome – and just as realistic as your conspiracy theories.

90. showey47 says:

didn’t savage beat dibiase for the vacanat belt in wrestlemania 4? lol

91. Brocas Brain says:

Canadiens vs Flyers (Jon Lajoie)

92. Brocas Brain says:

Montreal Canadiens habs habs baby
    – Vanilla Ice

93. nickster13 says:

Anyone seen Toews’ recent interviews? he sounds and looks mega drugged out