Markov might be headed back to Montreal

markovweb

On Sunday, both Sovietsky Sport’s Genadi Boguslavsky and Moscow’s RIA Novosti news agency reported that Andrei Markov would not travel with his Yityaz team on this week’s three-game road trip that precedes the KHL schedule break. The locked-out Canadiens defenceman will thus miss games against Traktor Chelyabinsk on Monday, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg on Wednesday and Metallurg Magnitogorsk on Friday.

The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reports that Markov might be on his way back to Montreal from Russia to heal his tender ribs. But the upper-body bruising no doubt is much less troubling to the 33-year-old veteran than had he been sidelined with an injury to a right-side joint that’s between his hip and ankle.

Writes Stubbs: “With Markov, sometimes it’s better just not to mention what’s been a popular destination in recent seasons for his surgeons, that is, his knee. Oops.”

You can read Stubb’s column on Markov by clicking here.

Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times weighed in on the NHL lockout with a good column on the weekend, leading off with this line: “Hubris and hurt feelings. That is pretty much what the NHL lockout has come down to.” You can read his column by clicking here.

Meanwhile, Pat Hickey was in Hamilton to watch the Bulldogs beat the Abbottsford Heat 2-1 on Sunday. You can read his game report by clicking here.

And the new film The Last Gladiators received two thumbs up from a number of current Canadiens players who watched the documentary about NHL enforcers that focuses on the life of former Hab Chris Nilan. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo courtesy of www.hcvityaz.ru)

1. b_whalen13 says:

He is not Canadian, and he wants to represent USA instead of Russia.

2. Kooch7800 says:

Well, I see they are getting ready to axe the winter classic and more games…..the nhl seems to spend more time focusing on cancelling more games than setting up more negotiations.

I think this was all pre-planned with them. Dirty buggers

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• JF says:

I agree that it was all planned. If Bettman had been serious a couple of weeks ago about wanting to get in an 82-game season, he wouldn’t have dismissed the players’ three counter-proposals so quickly and refused to meet them last week. I’m convinced that if there were a real desire on both sides to settle the dispute, it could be done in a matter of days. Get the chief negotiators on each side sitting around a table with the NHL’s proposal and the players’ proposals in front of them, figure out which parts to take from each one, how to make them mesh. If necessary, bring in a mediator to help, someone like Ken Dryden who is cool-headed, articulate, and knows hockey.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would agree about Dryden for sure. He would be so much better than Bettman. Knows business, knows hockey and is a lawyer. He would do wonders for the Leagues PR.

The sad part is the major reason the league is doing really well is the USD vs CDN dollar. Canadians spend money like crazy on the league and the great exchange rate makes the league look like it is growing like crazy.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• B says:

I think there are already too many lawyers involved. Dryden was a very good goalie, but he is another lawyer, a wind bag and a guy who held out for a season of his short career as a player over money. No thanks.

3. Kfourn says:

Looking at the line-up for the Subway Super Series OHL vs. Russia, I noticed that Galchenyuk is not on the roster, anyone know why?

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

Ahh good at least the lockout has lasted long enough that we start to get good doubletalk from various individuals involved.

Today Jack Johnson starts spouting off about owners, and how he just wants to play and he was able to negotiate his own contract. He seems to make no mention of when he forced the Carolina Hurricanes to trade him since he refused to sign with them.

Oh poor Jack Johnson, you are so hard done by. Enjoy Columbus when the lockout is over, no one there will realize you can’t play defence either. ;-)

• Ron says:

I watched MacLean, Dregar and Kypreos at noon and they were all quite adamant that the players are making a fool of themselves with some of their tweets or blogs. They all were in agreement that it was the boys that had the big contracts doing most of the more outlandish stuff. They also said quite a few agents are getting abit dismayed about the way Fehr is going. Many of the one million and under players are hurting bad. Some players have voiced that to the 3 of them. How much longer before some players tell their reps to get working on a new CBA.

• Kooch7800 says:

I have never liked Johnson and I honestly think he is overrated. He just seems like a major D bag

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

5. habsfan0 says:

I wonder if the arrival of Hurricane Sandy will impact on any NHL games.

Guess not.

6. Mavid says:

I am in Ontario, I have the french package, and I am with Bell and I could not find it on either TVA channel :-(

7. BJ says:

Tired of the on going NHL-NHLPA blunders? Check these out

It’s funny they still call it Sovetsky Sport since Soviet Union ceased to exist about a decade ago.

Another benefit of the lockout. Not paying Markov and his knee to be sitting on the shelf and eat up cap space.

10. Luke says:

Question for Stubbs, Stu (or one of the other reporters):

When interviewing a person for print whose native language is not English, and they speak English in a particularly broken fashion, do you fill in or correct slight grammar mistakes or missed but obvious words?

“I like play at Montreal” to “I like to play in Montreal”?

Just curious. It’s something I’d been wondering about for a while.

Thanks

11. HabFab says:

No hockey for you, and you and you too!…the fehrbutt Nazis

12. Bripro says:

Hockey Frustration Song no. 16

Cue the music!

Out where the river froze
    The Sherwoods and Koho folks
    Mini-summits and boiling tempers
    Steamed in frozen pond degrees

The time has come
    To say fair’s fair
    To pay to scale
    To pay their share
    The time has come
    A fact’s a fact
    Give it to them and
    Give us hockey back

How can we dance when the rink sits empty
    How do we sleep while it burns our belly
    How can fans prance while the rink’s still empty
    How do we rest when there is no hockey

The time has come
    To yield to fame
    To pay the players
    To play our game

Bettmans scare is all for you
    Hockey deprived, regardless who
    The entire league with no release
    In frozen pond degrees

The time has come
    To say fair’s fair
    To pay the boys
    Who earn their share
    The time has come
    A fact’s a fact
    Give it to them and
    Give us hockey back

How can we blog when the rink sits empty
    How do we sit while it burns our belly
    How can fans prance while the rink’s still empty
    How do we rest when there is no hockey

The time has come
    To yield to fame
    To pay the players
    To play our game

The time has come
    Bettman’s a hack
    The game belongs to us
    We’re gonna take it back

How to pass time when the rink sits empty
    How do we rest when there is no hockey

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

13. Hobie Hansen says:

So I took in the majority of the Dogs’ game yesterday afternoon. Obviously Blake Geoffrion had a good game with his goal and assist. At the same time, he clearly looked like the most NHL ready player on the ice for the Dogs. He seemed the strongest on the puck and had the most swagger of any forward. Mike Blunden also makes his presence felt on most shifts.

Brendan Gallagher has looked better lately but he and Mike Bournival seem a ways away with their overall games. Gallagher is letting shots rip on occasion but is being knocked off and stripped of the puck a lot of the time I’ve watched him. Gallagher has gotten a bit better in each of the games I’ve seen him play.

May favorite, Jarred Tinordi still looks a bit uncomfortable out there. He was on the ice again for the only goal against and there could have been another two goals against where Tinordi would be partly responsible for, if Rober Mayer doesn’t stop a breakaway and a point blank shot. Tinordi seems to be chasing guys around and getting out of position. He did throw a couple of big hits yesterday and he’ll eventually settle down and get used to the league I’m sure.

Thumbs up to TVA for showing a bunch of Dogs games this year. Again, I’m just as happy watching our future players as the regular Habs. Maybe if the Habs were contenders it would be a different story but they won’t be until most of the good young players on the Dogs and Galchenyuk are NHL ready.

If we miss an NHL season when the Habs are probably going to miss the playoffs I can easily survive watching the AHL. GO DOGS GO!

• shiram says:

Am really enjoying the Bulldogs broadcast as well, even if they are not a top team in the AHL.
      Keep in mind the Dogs are one of the youngest teams in the AHL, with an overhauled coaching system, so there’s bound to be some hiccups along the way.
      Still it was good entertaining hockey.

• Bripro says:

Can you guys enlighten me?
        TVA are showing the games where? On their sports package?
        That’s through Videotron, right?
        ‘Cause I can’t locate it on either my regular Bell or HD packages.

*********************************************

• shiram says:

On Vidéotron it’s channel 624, I don’t think it’s any special channel, just HD TVA.

• Bripro says:

Videotron…. which would explain why it’s not on a Bell package.
            More hockey I can’t watch…. sigh.

*********************************************

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not sure about Bell? I found it in HD for no extra charge on Rogers in Ottawa on channel 657.
          I’m sure it’s on Bell somewhere in the french section of channels? TVA has two stations I believe? A regular and sports station.

Just looked it up and TVA Sports is channel 1883 on Bell over the Dish and 1193 on Fibe.

• mark-ID says:

Through Videotron it is on ch.624…it is TVA Sports…which is an elective channel.

• frontenac1 says:

TVASH Channel 1883 on Bell Expresvu.

• Bripro says:

That must be in Ontario, because that channel is RDI here.

*********************************************

• frontenac1 says:

@Bri.Are you on Bell Satellite,or Bell cable?

• Bripro says:

Satellite ExpressVue (rip off!)

*********************************************

• frontenac1 says:

Thats Weird. Maybe it is a” Quebec ” issue. Try calling customer service. Hopefully it won”t be in the Phillipines. Good Luck Amigo!

• JF says:

I had Bell until a couple of years ago, but kept having problems (the satellite would go down in bad weather, their telephone technicians could never solve any problems, when a technician had to come to the house, there was always a wait of about three days, etc.). So I switched to Vidéotron and have had no problems since. I advise you to do the same!

• frontenac1 says:

Langevin and Pedneault are doing a pretty good job with the games on TVA. I always liked Pedneault on RDS and was pissed off when he was replaced by “Oye-yoy-yoy” Brunet.

14. The Dude says:

Trade the man and get some prospects that aren’t made of glass!