Markov done for the season

In a late-afternoon e-mail, the Canadiens have confirmed what the Team 990’s Tony Marinaro reported two days ago: Andrei Markov’s season is over.

He will have surgery next week on the right knee that was surgically repaired last summer.

• Stubbs news story is here.

The team announcement:

… defenseman Andrei Markov will undergo knee surgery on Wednesday, December 8. The surgery, to repair a meniscus and reconstruct the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), will be performed in Alabama by doctor James Andrews. “We are very confident that Andrei will be able to fully recover from this injury,” said the Canadiens’ general manager, Pierre Gauthier.

Anyone out there as “very confident” as Gauthier?

Markov will be 32 next month. He’s had four significant injuries over the last three seasons. And it’s not like he’s been levelled by Scott Stevens, Ulf Samuelsson or Darius Kasparaitis.

Markov is in the last season of a four-year, $23-million contract. He’s a UFA on July 1.

What now?

• Views from Arpon Basu and François Gagnon

Hj_TBWXPKFM

1. SmartDog says:

So you LAUGH about this comment which is MUCH worse than anything I’ve ever said.  And you misrepresent me (above) by saying stop wishing ill.  I don’t wish it.  But if it happened, I would be happy that we can have a REAL 2nd line center.  No question.  Sad for Gomez the person, but really it’s not his life that affects me… it’s his hockey playing and the effect on the team of him being gone would be positive.  Most Habs fans would agree.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

2. SmartDog says:

See a shrink!!!

Get a grip. Really.

——-

3. SmartDog says:

Did you take time out from watching Star Trek to come online?

I’m saying i’d be happy if he was done versus Markov being done.  It’s not REAL guys… it’s not wishing injury.  I am saying if it DID happen YES I would be happy that we would have MONEY for a replacment and someone else in his position.

It’s THEORITICAL A-HOLES.  Give me a freakin’ break.  You guys ever talk in a bar?  Or do you just sti home wishing you had a life?

——-

4. MTLForever says:

i think youre hilarious that  you think eller is nothing? you can see by watching him he isnt nothing…but youre too blind apparently.

Written by the same people who picked Washington and Pittsburgh to walk all over the Habs last playoffs. Who cares what they write? Do you believe every thing you read?

Gomez is easily worth 5 million. So he’s paid a paltry 2.37 million more. Get a grip. If the Habs were in last and Gomez was -20 with 0 points I’d understand. If he was nowhere last playoffs I’d understand.

Mea culpa.

Learn the meaning of those latin words.

6. olematelot says:

You’re pretty sick man, get some help.

7. larisalapointe says:

Right on HH.

Neither is an injury going to happen and wishing it were so makes you pathological. Don’t you understand that wishing harm to a human being is reprehensible. Wake up man.

If Gomez is not worthy of being a Hab let management decide. You people are seriously messed up. Get your heads checked.

I prefer having Gomez to not having him. He’s a top 6 forward on any team, except maybe Pittsburgh. He’s easily worth 5 million. So he’s over-paid. Is it killing the Habs to have him? Are we in last place?

The bottom line is he is one of our best forwards, the other three being Plex, Cammy and Gio. Is Cammy worth 6 million per over 5 years? It’s the reality of the NHL.

I wonder why you people even call yourselves Habs fans. I have a tough hide but this Gomez bashing is worse than all the Halak crap we endured over the Summer. I am seriously considering leaving this place to you idiots who can moan and groan over Gomez and the contract.

Seriously un-friggin-believable!!

9. notbigbird says:

Sometimes I think you and SeriousFan are the only sane ones left. And a few others, but you get my drift. The place has gone barking mad.

10. Da Hema says:

How about everyone ends the “I wish he were hurt” claims, which is what HH was urging above.

The Habs have had, from my perspective, underperformers like Kovalev and despicable players like Ribeiro. But I never, ever wished them any harm.

Let’s stop all this.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

Entry # 28 on Timo’s list – Hippo.

12. light_n_tasty says:

The Gomez contract is a glass ceiling for the Habs, and the only way we are getting any relief from the contract is on the LTIR.  Hey, I would prefer to waive him, but that ain’t gonna happen.

13. habguy says:

what was brilliant?

trading Halak and getting nothing?

or maybe trading for Pouliot ?

or maybe tradind SK for nothing?

or maybe giving a 2nd round pick for Moore then lettting him go.

yes Gauthier is fantastic!

wish there were 29 other GM’s like him so we could fleece them too.

14. ABHabsfan says:

Guerin is sitting at home for a good reason, time to hang ‘em up. You pick trash off the heap and you get what you pay for. I am not saying Guerin is trash, he has had a great career and has scored a ton of goals. OUr Habs have the 3rd most points in the NHL, given 1 game in hand they could be 2nd, why should we sign players that 27 other teams below us don’t want?

The Flames’ fire-sale is coming; Boumeester could be a target, he will cost but he fits the Habs’ system, great skater. I would love to get Rene Bourque but I doubt he would be available. Brent Burns is another that would be a welcome addition IMO.

The best players on under-achieving teams should be the one s to look at, not the players who no one else want. Let’s keep in mind that even without Marky, the Habs are a very good team.

15. habguy says:

no got to go for the head.

That is pretty disgusting. That is also the stupidiest thing you’ve said about Gomez up to now. I never wish injury upon any player, not an opponent, certainly not a Hab.

I suggest you take a step back and get over your Gomez loathing because it’s toxic. I liken it to a psychological disorder now. SmartDogism, the uncontrollable despising of Scott Gomez, totally unwarranted and obsessive.

One of the things about Gomez is he doesn’t get injured. Unlike Koivu. And that is only one of his assets to the team. During the playoffs when the Habs were playing Carolina way back when, a few friends of mine were saying stuff like, “What’s Koivu doing, we don’t need him,” and other inanities and then he got his eye poked out. The rest is history.

Believe me. Losing Gomez would cause a major problem with the Habs. Who do you propose replaces him?

Seriouly SD I question your grasp of the game lately. You’re fixated on this one issue. See a shrink!!! You sound like a grumpy old fart.

17. habguy says:

do you know anyone?

I thought that too but can’t find someone suitable.

18. habguy says:

I was thinking the same thing.

boy do I hate Gomez!

19. Da Hema says:

I am not defending his contract Smartdog. And in fact, I made a few critical comments about Gomez’s current work ethic last night.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

20. observer says:

I wouldn’t but he may not want to mess with the team’s chemistry? One can logically think either way.

21. Da Hema says:

Heheh.

Will we all be suspects if Gomez has an “accident.”

I’ll be the Crown’s star witness against Timo.

;-)

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

22. SmartDog says:

SECOND on the list of WORST NHL contracts.  And this was written LAST YEAR:

He’s gotta be #1 now.  Can’t you see that Hippo?  Are you still thinking he’s a good player?  Are you still thinkig he’s actually working hard?  C’mon. Wake up!

——

23. light_n_tasty says:

Maybe just have his knees bashed in.  I could care less about how much he’ll costs the Molsons…only his cap hit.

24. Hagar says:

1. It’s been stated recently that Iginla is a definitely a Flame & not on the shopping block. This is a bad time to get your hopes up on landing him. Wait until the rumours crop up again.

Nah… if anybody, contract should be on Staal

26. Da Hema says:

Jesus, guys! Why don’t you all just hire a contract killer and have Gomez offed?

God almighty….

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

27. Rugger says:

Good point, but there is no way Markov will sign with the leafs for LESS than Komi so chances are he would not end up there.

I am too lazy to answer last 2 questions. As for #1, from what I hear from the Flames fans around me, Iginla look disinterested at best. Now, I understand, there is nothing interesting playing for the flames. But you are professional athlete being paid 7 or whatever mil per. You MUST bring it each and every night. If you don’t, we already have Gomer, so no thank you. On the other hand, Iginla for Max Pac – where do I sign? I don’t see anything special about Max.

Hah, you know who on the leafs roster will be rooting the most for signing Markov :)

30. light_n_tasty says:

I know Iglina has come up a lot.  But even with the LTIR relief for Markov, we couldn’t fit him under the cap.

Oh whatever, hippo. It’s not like having a knee surgery is a life altering/threatening experience. So Gomer would limp for a few weeks… imagine how much more free time he’d have to spend all his millions? That having to be at the games thing was really becoming a drag.

32. light_n_tasty says:

3rd round pick in 2014

33. SmartDog says:

Yeah, and what if they don’t want to play to their potential?

Gomez stinks. I’d be happy if he was injured long-term. No problem.  Not happy for the PERSON (get this straight) but happy for the team.

——-

34. aemarchand11 says:

Furthermore, we would have an awful lot allocated to the top two lines salary wise… Smells like Tampa Bay

2010-2011

35. SmartDog says:

Too good to imagine.

——-

I thought you would’ve suggested he should stand pat.

37. Rugger says:

1. Too soon to know,  If MaxPac continues as he is doing now, no.

2. 3 for 3 yrs

3. Too soon to know on K &P, Laps 1.5, Gill same as he makes now for 2 more years.

38. light_n_tasty says:

Unfortunately, Gomez’s contract outstrips his potential.

39. joeybarrie says:

Could there have been an alternative with all the hush hush?

But it still really hurts to see the words in an official capacity.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

40. Da Hema says:

C’mon. We want all our boys healthy and playing to their potentials.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

41. JasonM says:

Mr. Boone, quick question, if the Habs place markov on IR, is it retroactive? 3 weeks have passed for the “diagnosis” to happen. Markov contract means that it still takes a significant chunk of change.

42. Matt_in_TO says:

Guerin is a UFA sitting at home right now.  Who you gonna give up to get Kovy?

- In Price We Trust

43. Da Hema says:

It is a mystery. If I had a choice between Alex Loafalev and Sean Avery….ah, whatever. No sense feeding this thread. Loafalev will never return to Montreal, and thank God for that.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

44. aemarchand11 says:

Max-Pac would be a good player to call up right now. His confidence is at an all time high, and since our whole happens to be a 2nd line left wing it kind of seems like a perfect fit.

If however, that is not in the teams plans I think that Jamie Langenbrunner would be a solid acquisition. Heart and soul player, who’s on a shipwreck team. Milan Hejduk as a silver medal, but either would boost our output.

In a perfect world, we would all love Jerome Iginla. But the price would be very high, along the lines of: Andrei K, Webber/Prospect, 1st Round Pick and Gorges? His upside is undeniable, so theres no way he’s a bargain.

2010-2011

Markov done for the season?

It is the words no fan of the Canadiens wants to hear, but defenceman Andrei Markov could miss the rest of this season.

That is what is being said in French-language reports by Agence QMI, citing reliable sources. The report says the all-star defenceman could be out of action for as long as eight months, with the possibility he could miss up to a year.

The Canadiens have said nothing more than Markov suffered a lower-body injury and that further tests were needed to evaluate the defenceman’s right knee. He was injured after a collission with Hurrcanes’ Eric Staal and it is the same knee Markov injured during the playoffs last season.

1. sh00n says:

I would totally be fine with the first one if the 2nd was true. Could you imagine a Shea Weber/PK Subban defensive pairing for the future?

Holy ****.