Markov done for the season

In a late-afternoon e-mail, the Canadiens have confirmed what the Team 990’s Tony Marinaro reported two days ago: Andrei Markov’s season is over.

He will have surgery next week on the right knee that was surgically repaired last summer.

• Stubbs news story is here.

The team announcement:

… defenseman Andrei Markov will undergo knee surgery on Wednesday, December 8. The surgery, to repair a meniscus and reconstruct the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), will be performed in Alabama by doctor James Andrews. “We are very confident that Andrei will be able to fully recover from this injury,” said the Canadiens’ general manager, Pierre Gauthier.

Anyone out there as “very confident” as Gauthier?

Markov will be 32 next month. He’s had four significant injuries over the last three seasons. And it’s not like he’s been levelled by Scott Stevens, Ulf Samuelsson or Darius Kasparaitis.

Markov is in the last season of a four-year, $23-million contract. He’s a UFA on July 1.

What now?

• Views from Arpon Basu and François Gagnon

I am too lazy to answer last 2 questions. As for #1, from what I hear from the Flames fans around me, Iginla look disinterested at best. Now, I understand, there is nothing interesting playing for the flames. But you are professional athlete being paid 7 or whatever mil per. You MUST bring it each and every night. If you don’t, we already have Gomer, so no thank you. On the other hand, Iginla for Max Pac – where do I sign? I don’t see anything special about Max.

Hah, you know who on the leafs roster will be rooting the most for signing Markov 🙂

3. light_n_tasty says:

I know Iglina has come up a lot.  But even with the LTIR relief for Markov, we couldn’t fit him under the cap.

Oh whatever, hippo. It’s not like having a knee surgery is a life altering/threatening experience. So Gomer would limp for a few weeks… imagine how much more free time he’d have to spend all his millions? That having to be at the games thing was really becoming a drag.

5. light_n_tasty says:

3rd round pick in 2014

6. SmartDog says:

Yeah, and what if they don’t want to play to their potential?

Gomez stinks. I’d be happy if he was injured long-term. No problem.  Not happy for the PERSON (get this straight) but happy for the team.

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

7. aemarchand11 says:

Furthermore, we would have an awful lot allocated to the top two lines salary wise… Smells like Tampa Bay

8. SmartDog says:

Too good to imagine.

I thought you would’ve suggested he should stand pat.

10. Rugger says:

1. Too soon to know,  If MaxPac continues as he is doing now, no.

2. 3 for 3 yrs

3. Too soon to know on K &P, Laps 1.5, Gill same as he makes now for 2 more years.

11. light_n_tasty says:

Unfortunately, Gomez’s contract outstrips his potential.

12. joeybarrie says:

Could there have been an alternative with all the hush hush?

But it still really hurts to see the words in an official capacity.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

13. Da Hema says:

C’mon. We want all our boys healthy and playing to their potentials.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

14. JasonM says:

Mr. Boone, quick question, if the Habs place markov on IR, is it retroactive? 3 weeks have passed for the “diagnosis” to happen. Markov contract means that it still takes a significant chunk of change.

15. Matt_in_TO says:

Guerin is a UFA sitting at home right now.  Who you gonna give up to get Kovy?

– In Price We Trust

16. Da Hema says:

It is a mystery. If I had a choice between Alex Loafalev and Sean Avery….ah, whatever. No sense feeding this thread. Loafalev will never return to Montreal, and thank God for that.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

17. aemarchand11 says:

Max-Pac would be a good player to call up right now. His confidence is at an all time high, and since our whole happens to be a 2nd line left wing it kind of seems like a perfect fit.

If however, that is not in the teams plans I think that Jamie Langenbrunner would be a solid acquisition. Heart and soul player, who’s on a shipwreck team. Milan Hejduk as a silver medal, but either would boost our output.

In a perfect world, we would all love Jerome Iginla. But the price would be very high, along the lines of: Andrei K, Webber/Prospect, 1st Round Pick and Gorges? His upside is undeniable, so theres no way he’s a bargain.

18. light_n_tasty says:

Honestly, I’d take Kovalev over Guerin.

19. twilighthours says:

1) no. Not because I think pacioretty will necessarily be a great b
    NHL plyer, but because I think iginla is nearly done. Fading.

2) he brings no offense but never misses a game and is the biggest team-first guy on team. I’d have no problem giving him a 3.75 mil average hit over a long term.

3) akost: same salary, maybe a bit more. He’s been great but let’s see how the rest of the year goes

Pouliot: 1.75 mil for 2 or 3 years. But I don’t know when he is UFA eligible so this could be a dumb term

Lappy: $0 for 0 years. I wish he wasn’t on the team.

Gill: tough one, but I’d let him walk.

20. light_n_tasty says:

I’m gonna get lambasted for this, but why couldn’t it have happened to Gomez instead of Markov?!?  Imagine the cap room!  Imagine the possibilities!

21. observer says:

5. Based on Gauthier’s record, do you have faith he’ll get the help we need? —– Gauthier didn’t have a pretty good track record before. HOWEVER it sure looks like he has made a few brilliant moves in last half year so why should this run not continue?

22. darcy1 says:

Markov’s been our rock over the last decade, and just got his Canadian citizenship.. you HAVE to resign him, whether its short term or long term.. you can’t let him walk away for nothing and risk him going to a conference rival (god forbid the leafs sign him)

23. noelsroyce says:

Why don’t they show the kids skating on the ice/line-up announcement each and every time? Is there a rule?

24. Matt_in_TO says:

1 – In a heartbeat.  Not sure if that would make us a contender but it wouldn’t hurt.  I would kill to have Iggy.

2 – It’s hard to say.  He’s making 1.3 this year so I’m thinking around 2 – 2.25.

3 – 4.00, 1.5, 1.0, 2.25

– In Price We Trust

25. aemarchand11 says:

Markov will be back next season, it wont be an expensive contract and probably a one year deal. The habs respect and appreciate Markov and he loves Montreal.

Best Doctor in the world performing his surgery, he will have a long time to heal and be ready for another year. It would be foolish to give up on him. But no long term deal until an entire season is completed.

26. SmartDog says:

I am STUNNED at how many people seem to think this is a good idea.

27. Matt_in_TO says:

Anyone think we should use some of the cap space to sign Guerin?  I’m sure we can get him pretty cheap right now and still have room for a deadline deal.  I know he’s 40 and I’m sure there’s a reason why no one else has signed him but he did score 21 goals last year and I think he might have some gas left in the tank.  He’s a big body, right handed shot who can play on the 2nd line.  We need a top 6 forward and I think he can be that for the rest of the season.  Also brings a boat load of leadership and experince which you can never have too much of.

– In Price We Trust

28. Bugs says:

I’m all for it, baby. But uhh, who do we get to stand in for Balej?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central:

29. SmartDog says:

1. Would you want Iginla if we could get him for MaxPac and another promising prospect?  Would that “make us a contender”?

2. How much is Gorges worth?  What’s the MAX you would pay?

3. Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Laps, and Gill are also in contract years.  What’s the max you would pay for each one you would want back?

Yes. Iginla!!! It’ll be his Raymond Bourque moment. Re-unite him with Cammy. OMFG!!!

31. twilighthours says:

Sucky news. Now that markov is officially done, I think that the habs are one top-4 D and a 2nd line winger away from being a true and legitimate contender. Maybe pouliot or pacioretty will become that winger but probably not this year.

I still love the makeup of this team but I’m not sure how the habs should use this cap space….

Nonetheless, I’ll trust gauthier. He’s done a great job so far.

32. light_n_tasty says:

1. 1 year, 6.25 mil, or 2 years 11 mil.  I don’t think he would get a decrease in pay, especially not a 30% decrease (5.75 down to 4).

2.  In 20 games, we should start looking to spend that money.  The team has too many holes to do nothing.  But we need to wait about 20 games to see exactly what we need and get a better sense of what is available.

3. I think a forward would better address the issues facing the Habs, but it will take the 20 games to get a better idea.

4. second line winger with size and grit.

5.  I doubt that the team will be stronger as a result of this.  Whatever we get to replace Markov won’t equal the value we lost in him.  And that’s nothing to do with Gauthier.

1. Offer Markov 2 years at 2.5 million per after he takes a full season (all of this year and 2011-2012) off for re-Hab and only if he is fully recovered. (2012-2013 to 2013-2014)

2. Wait and see.

3. Within, it aint broke.

4. Resign Gomez for more cash. ( I couldn’t resist) Seriously, go for an impact forward.

5. Yes. Wait and see. In PG I trust!!!

34. SmartDog says:

I didn’t say I disagreed with the others… I was still thinkin’!

1) I would think offer him a discount deal. He’s going to want to prove to Mtl and other interested teams he still has it – or find out if he does.  Why not here at a discount. Seems like win-win.

2) I agree with #2. Unless there’s a good 2nd line center out there. We need that badly.

3) Agreed!

4) I agree but who WOULDN’T want a Chelios.  But I think we need a Chelios-like winger.

5) Makes sense.

Happy?  🙂

35. Rugger says:

1. yes

2. Listen to those that come bearing offers, but let things ride till close to the deadline.  Almost no team is eliminated yet, let some more teams accept failure before shopping.

3. Shop for impact forward.

4. Big wing

5. Yes, he has a lot more cap to play with this year.

36. homerbowen says:

Not for draft picks.

37. BC HAB says:

Ah yes, I forgot that we had to give something up.

38. homerbowen says:

Not for draft picks.

39. SmartDog says:

About your answer to .5.  Yeah, that makes sense but you have to think that Gauthier will have a good idea by now or soon who he wants back and what his actual needs are. So for example, if he knows that he needs to get younger on D, then he knows that there is no way he wants Hamrlik back.  And that means maybe he CAN hunt for a $3 million D (still cheaper than Hamrlik… and Markov if he IS back will be cheaper too) since he has the money now and beyond. Especially if he’s happy with Weber so he knows he’s got another entry-level contract defenseman.

40. Da Hema says:

Ah yes. As Jim Lahey would say, there’s always someone who wants to raise a sh*t storm.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

41. homerbowen says:

Markov has been a great Hab, however, in this “cap” era we must look beyond him. Too risky to sign him for long term and big bucks as knees can only take so much beating and he is now past that point (ask Orr). If he was 25 I would not say this but at 32 too risky. Once your knees turn to glass it’s time to move behind the bench and hopefully the Habs will offer that.

42. JohnnyBEast says:

Oh ya, forgot about that, wishful thinking I guess

43. Habifornia says:

To make us a contender for the cup (and I mean this year), I think we should go for an impact forward. Our D has been excellent so far without Markov (best defensive record in the league) and there’s no reason to think that won’t keep up the rest of the year (yes I know, injuries happen, but they can happen to any other team too). We already have 7 very capable defenseman playing very well (think about the Subban vs Weber scenario right now)… so we should get someone to really put us over the top on our top 2 lines.

Think about this…. seriously: How about we give Calgary a first round pick and a top prospect (say MaxPac) for Iginla. That makes our top lines look like this:

We can afford the remainder of Iginla’s salary at the trade deadline without much problems. And we would instantly be considered a cup contender.

We can dream…

“Mr Gainey, you will not regret picking me”.
    – PK Subban

44. notbigbird says:

45. BC HAB says:

I say go get Kovalev at the deadline. It will not hurt. He usually shows up 4 the playoffs and is a ufa at the end of the season.

46. HabsFanInTampa says:

Damn Dawg! You agree on just one of my points? 🙂

47. CharlieHodgeFan says:

They’ll have a clearer idea of what’s up after the surgery. Til then, it only makes sense to wait and see.

Before Gainey’s great blow up, this would have been the end of the season. As it is, it hurts, but there is so much more depth on this good team now. Markov can’t be replaced, but there’s enough depth to do things differently.

It’s a shame though. I like Markov and what he brings on and off the ice. I hope he has a full recovery, and that if he doesn’t, the organization shows respect for what he has brought to it.

48. Da Hema says:

I am thinking of a future scenario where his knee will be an ongoing problem–a plausible enough assumption to make–serious enough for the team to lose his services for periods of time, but not serious enough to go on the long-term injury list. I understand injured players’ salaries do not count against the cap space, but frankly you don’t build and sustain teams based on a player playing only 30-40 games a season. Despite how good the player is, re-integrating them into the team has costs too. And as much as I appreciate Markov’s skills, he isn’t Bobby Orr or Larry Robinson.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

49. homerbowen says:

Never trade with the Laffs

50. SmartDog says:

I agree with your point 3.  Lots of time.  This is an opportunity for Weber and probably one other Hamilton D-man over the next couple of months.  By late January we’ll know if our D is solid and there will be time and money to make deals.

51. HabsFanInTampa says:

I agree totally.

52. Will Longlade says:

The Habs have always been a class organization. Those thinking that
    Markov is going to be cut loose by the Habs are dreaming in technicolour. Assuming, the Hab’s medical experts believe that Markov can fully recover from his injury, Montreal
    will sign him to a fair contract, one that is incentive-laden. What’s more, even a
    gimpy Markov is better than all but one or two of the potential
    UFA D-men that will be on the market next year.

IMO, the Habs could have one of the better D in the league next year. Some of the team’s younger D-men will have had the opportunity to gain some experience while Markov is on the mend. Markov will have the time to fully recover from his injury. Some of the team’s older D-men will be resigned to short-term deals and make less coin. Gorges will get a well deserved raise. At the end of the day, maybe one new face is added (probably this year before the trade deadline). Those hoping for a significant makeover don’t appreciate the fact that the Habs have a pretty decent D, relative to the majority of the other teams in the league. Having six Bobby Orr’s would be nice, but isn’t exactly feasible in the salary-cap era.

53. HabsFanInTampa says:

1) Time to part ways with Mr. Markov.

2) Let’s wait and see. No need to go hastily spending. We’re playing well and so far our D is keeping us in the games.

3) Promote from within and see what happens. If we start losing games, then we go shopping.

4) I want like a Chris Chelios type of player. What I don’t want is MAB or Souray.

5) Yes, he can make this team stronger. How? By waiting until the trade deadline and see which teams are trying to unload which players.

54. notbigbird says:

Please explain. Why would they be stuck with cap space if he were still injured and didn’t return?

55. Mike says:

Kaberle is so soft on the puck. He is not what the habs needs. He is Spacek but softer on the puck. The habs have Hammerlik/Cammy + Subban, and Spacek + Picard on the point right now. Not terrible. If any trade was to be made with Toronto, I can see us trading Pouliot to the leafs for picks. And then us packaging those picks + our own Assests to New Jersey for a guy there.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

1. If he can come back, offer him a deal. He’s been a loyal Hab, grinded out his rehab and came back early twice for the team.

2. No need to immediately go for anything, the only thing teams will be offering right now is their albatross contracts and we don’t need one of those.

3. Team can wait and evaluate on Weber for now.

4. Preferably a forward with some finish, maybe ring NJD up around the deadline, they are pretty much cooked for the playoffs so see if the team can acquire Arnott or Langenbrunner. They’ve got Cup experience and work in team-first environments. It also allows NJ to finish even lower in the standings and get a crack in the draft lottery.

5. He’ll likely deal for a playoff piece, but I doubt he’ll go that far to get it. He has FA issues to address this off-season and can’t afford to take on any contracts that go past this season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

57. SmartDog says:

Markov out means a lot of things. It means we’re without our all-star. It means we have major cap room. It means we might need help on D. (Though if you think it’s coincidence Martin decided to test Weber’s D form at the same time as this new hits, I’ve got some fine swampland to sell you near Amherst.)  It also means the Habs need to decide what if any extension to offer Markov, before he gets game-tested again.

1. Assuming the surgery goes well (though the LAST surgery supposedly went well!) do you offer Marky a short-term deal at a modest sum (1 year, 4 million?) or…?

2. Do you immediatley look to spend some of your new found cash?  Or is it better to wait and see how healthy your team is through the middle of the season?

3. If you do go shopping, do you shop for a defenseman or promote from within (Weber)?

4. Assuming there is cash for a rental, what do you want?

5. Based on Gauthier’s record, do you have faith he’ll get the help we need?  Put another way, we’ve managed to do well without Markov this year – and in most of the playoffs last year… so can Gautheir truly make this team STRONGER as a result of this?  How?

58. light_n_tasty says:

For some reason I think that we wouldn’t save anything if we bought him out.  But we would save 100k if he was waived to the minors.

59. Keith says:

Yeah, bad news all around for everybody and especially for Markov. I’ve been dreading this announcement all week but I knew that he was going to be out for the season. A tragedy really.

60. Hagar says:

Can’t sign him to a 1 year deal. Gotta give him term or let him walk.

61. Da Hema says:

The problem is if Markov is unable to return to form, the team will be stuck with a $3-4 million contract with its subsequent effect on the team’s cap space. Today’s official announcement is bad news for the team, the fans, and especially for Markov, but in the cap space era there is no sentimentality here. The team must move on, and I am not interested in the team signing risky and glass defencemen.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Louis Leblanc took a high stick to the face 2 minutes into the 2nd period of his first game back with the MTL Juniors according to Shaun Starr of the Team 990. Did not return, may or may not be back for the 3rd. Talk about unlucky.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. habs365 says:

Markov is a good man in the community..and he’s an excellent defenseman..I wish him all the best..having said that..I honestly think his career is over..if he can’t play again..when he can return..the Habs should offer him a position on the coaching staff working with the defense..I’m sure he would be a dandy.

without him..we have to focus on making the playoffs and hope good things happen..every team deals with injuries and you have to make the best of good as markov player is not a takes twenty players to have a team..he may not be replaceable..but you have to keep moving forward.

markov will be missed..but we have a good enough team im montreal to survive without him..Good Luck To The Habs.

64. 123456 says:

no need to overreact. marky is a huge loss and a guy like kaberle wuld be a decent replacement but i wuld first look to get a top 6 forward. the longer the habs wait to make a move to better deal can be constructed. i’d wait till a month before trade deadline and get both top 6 forward and puck moving dman offering at most a 2nd round pick for one.

unfortunately this is a business. habs owe nothing to markov for his past play – they have paid him how many millions?? no contract offer to him for next season until he can prove he can contribute.

65. Mark C says:

Spacek is a 35+ contract, only save $100K by buying him out.

66. JohnnyBEast says:

This has got me thinking about our D after this season, it could be totally revamped with Hammer, Marky, Picard, Skill Gil all being UFAs and Gorges an RFA. Here is a look at the potential UFA dmen available . I’d really like Gorges back. I wonder if they’ll buy out Spacek or if Yemelin will make the trip across the pond. I wouldnt mind Bieska’s toughness, but he has a good turnover a game it seems.

67. Keith says:

I would sign Markov to a one year deal at about 3-4 mill and go from there. He’s been a loyal Hab for over 10 years. He deserves that much at least. Hope it all works out for him and the Habs.

68. Chorske says:

We don’t need a defenseman. A scoring forward would be nice– so Moen doesn’t have to be top 6.

69. Keith says:

That’s insane! I would NEVER, under ANY circumstances, make a deal with the laffs. If they were a drowning man I’d throw them an anchor.

70. Matt_in_TO says:

Not going to happen.

– In Price We Trust

71. LEAF KILLERS says:

Scott Niedermayer?

72. Willy the bum says:

Three words: Kill Eric Staal.

My heart just broke to hear the news, Markov is always the great player on the team and a great guy off the ice.  Like I said, maybe it’s time to go onto other alternatives, but so far since the team’s winning, we’ll just see the many surprises during the season.

Hope for the best for Markov!

73. Eric37 says:

Ok, here’s a realistic deal.

Burke deals Kaberle to the Habs for their first round pick.

Burke gets a first rounder, recovers a bit of that reputation.

Habs get a d-man until the end of the season.

Depends on how much Burke wants to improve Montreal, which would ultimately lowers their potential draft pick

74. WindsorHab-10 says:

It was nice having you as a Hab. Good luck Andre.

Sounds cruel but I believe the team should part ways with him. Too risky.

75. JVF says:

Pauvre André. Sign him for at least one year at 3,5 – 4 million $ He deserves the organizations’ support and respect while he recovers. It comes off the cap anyway if it’s LTIR, right? And don’t you worry, he’ll come back. Maybe his skating stride won’t be as smooth or powerful, but he’ll be back. Make no mistake about it. And he’ll be just as smart.

Markov done for the season?

It is the words no fan of the Canadiens wants to hear, but defenceman Andrei Markov could miss the rest of this season.

That is what is being said in French-language reports by Agence QMI, citing reliable sources. The report says the all-star defenceman could be out of action for as long as eight months, with the possibility he could miss up to a year.

The Canadiens have said nothing more than Markov suffered a lower-body injury and that further tests were needed to evaluate the defenceman’s right knee. He was injured after a collission with Hurrcanes’ Eric Staal and it is the same knee Markov injured during the playoffs last season.

1. observer says:

why would i be thrilled you fool? hes the best dman an upper echelon player in this league. all im saying dont use bergeron, etc bandaids to fill his spot and that will take spending money more money real money to replace the hidden cap money markov saves the habs. and that requires trading.

2. observer says:

no – assuming the best that he could play in 4 or 5 months against dead fit players NO WAY JOSE WILL HE OR HIS AGENT if the doctor says he can play then NO WAY will he risk to be lost to another freak injury just before his free agency period. another one and his value completely disappers. plus he is getting paid in full for this whole year so why risk anything? he has everything to lose even if they let him play. markov will not play again this season if they say he needs that amount of time. then he is a free agent how much does anyone give an oft injured one with bad knees? which could be worse if he came back and got hurt again.

time to do something now. and if trading is only way then do it.

3. RetroMikey says:

I agree with your right nut, Shea Weber needs to come to Montreal toute de suite if we can pull this deal and lets throw in Weber to sweeten the pot.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

4. ZepFan2 says:

Bah, that’s just too nuts!

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

I’d prefer to use the extra cap relief for help up front. The Habs have some organizational depth on D, for the time being at least, although that OByrne trade is looking a bit premature in hindsight.

However if they could get their hands on Wisniewski I’d be ecstatic although he’s due for a pay raise. Maybe NYI can’t afford him. I’d even prefer Wisniewski over Markov. Sorry SF09.

PG get Wisniewski!!!!

I certainly don’t take any pleasure in viewing that option as possible but it is, unfortunately. It is also possible he returns. We don’t know.

This is one of those life before one’s eyes moments. It’s do or die. Yes or no. 1 or 0.

As much as it saddened me to watch Markov go down one of the things that crossed my mind when it happened was wondering if that was a season ending or worse a career ending fall.

It is my opinion that a star player that is prone to injury has a tendancy of disrupting a team if he gets injured regularly. People complain that Sather was able to sign Gaborik after he dumped Gomez on the Habs. Who cares? Havlat? No way!! Markov might be the next on that list.

I hope it doesn’t happen. I was drooling at the prospect of having Markov and Subban on the back end. This hits hard. In the end the Habs have organizational depth which as a fan is comforting. Losing Markov this way would suck. It doesn’t look good.

7. NightRyder says:

A reliable source (my left nut) tells me Markov’s MRI showed a complete tear of the ACL and he’s done for the season.

A second reliable source (my right nut) indicates that the Canadiens have agreed to send Max Pacioretty, Jared Tinordi and a first-round pick in the 2011 draft to Nashville for Shea Weber.

8. Nina76 says:

the only thing that is going to determin if Markey will play is the results from the Doctor’s report

Dave – I agree and basically stated the same opinion earlier in the day.  Let’s give Picard and Subban a go at least until mid December.

10. darcy1 says:

PG would have to be crazy to give up any assets to pick up Campbell at that price. The hawks need to resign Seabrook this year – they’ll have another cap crisis next summer

11. slapshot777 says:

You must be so thrilled about this. I think I shall wait for a real medical opinion, before accepting yours as true fact. Stop the trolling and let real people in this profession do their job. PG will do what’s best for this team.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

12. drivefor25 says:

I don’t reallly care if he plats tis year or not. I hope he plays though 😉

Fan since ’71

13. Chorske says:

Haha, you think your memory is that good? 😉

NR – In order to trade for Weber, you would have to start with an offer that opened with Subban.  Anything less would be a pipe-dream.

15. punkster says:

Marking this post for future reference.

16. Danno says:

People who are jumping to conclusions should just wait until the real doctors give their opinions.

In the meantime, I remain hopeful this will end up being a minor setback.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. punkster says:

And my point being that our back is not against the wall just now. It’s a tough loss even for a single game but it’s not the end of the world. There are options the least attractive being a one year rental which may be all that’s available and at a ridiculously high price. We have enough Cap anchors without this.

18. JF says:

This whole thing makes me sick.  First, that it happened; second, the way the media are treating it.  The RDS guys are saying Markov’s value will be seriously compromised, his knee will never be very good, the Habs have to look at a future without him.  Now this “reliable source” says he could be gone for a year… or forever.  Yet no doctor’s report has been released.  Why can’t people wait until we know something definite before jumping on some bandwagon and rolling off at top speed with it?

19. punkster says:

Hey look, my comments were not a knock on you or the good work you did researching and listing those names. You’re looking to a future that’s only a few weeks further out than I am looking at. I just don’t want to see a panic driven decision. I like your suggestions man, no sweat. (and as you can tell I have zero expertise but then none of on this site has a damn bit of expertise when compared to the guys who actually do the job…it’s all opinion and yours and mine are equally valid 🙂

20. observer says:

there is no way markov will play again this season. no way jose. suppose he is lucky enough to come back in 4 or 5 months in march/april and gets hurt again with his free agency starting july 1 and in that case have little value in the market place anymore. no way he plats again this year – his agent wont let him – tis year. habs must trade to remedy no sign up some more bottom feeder players.

21. gumper says:

…or maybe because the extent of the injury has not yet been determined.

NR – I’m not sure that’s the right question.  The real question is how much are you willing to give up (in assets) to rent a player for one year?   Keep in mind that every GM in the league knows your back is up against the wall and that you will have no choice but to overpay.

23. punkster says:

I just prefer to hear the facts first, reach into the farm if required and take the time to evaluate our real needs in time, not our perceived need because of one incident. I do understand your point though.

24. habstrinifan says:

“HOWEVER, I know nothing.”

Be careful, Joey, when you start typing out words like that on H I/O:-)

26. NightRyder says:

Where, anywhere, did I say a trade must be made today?

Obviously, you fill the holes in-house until you determine, after a legitimate period of time, what your needs are.

I simply provided a list of options that may be available down the line.

But thanks for your expertise.

27. mrhabby says:

Picard is the only choice..the rest are not NHL calibre full time dmen hence there longish careers in the AHL are adding up. Nash has the most potential from what i have heard and seen. That leaves Picard who has the chance to step up. With Gill/Gorges/Hammer contracts ending seems to me PG might have to do something sooner than later…just saying.

28. punkster says:

To hell with the psychologist MH, we need a bartender and FAST!

29. punkster says:

Until such time as it is determined that a) he is out for an extended period and b) that we actually do need outside help I fully advocate NOT using salary Cap for this. I would say that we’d be able to tell 10 games into the “sans-Markov” season where we stand. Panic decisions will not help this club.

Really Craig, these Habs management guys aren’t rookies or dolts and this isn’t a video game. Panic is the last thing they’ll do. Something else to consider is the trust they would show to any Bulldog callup and the experience those guys would gain. Invaluable. Like I say that’s why the farm is there.

30. habstrinifan says:

Diasgree! From what I gather of the circumstances was ONE HELL OF A CHEAP SHOT!

31. Thurston says:

I’ll wait for the Canadiens to confirm Markov’s injury status before I trust anything from PKP’s “QMI Agency.”

32. habstrinifan says:

I read first email and got sick of the stupidity. No need to read the rest. One email is indictment enough to demonstrate  how assinine and lacking of professional integrity Colin Campbell is. Geez!

33. Malreg says:

…or maybe because they are discreet and secretive about EVERY injury?

34. HabsProf says:

I thought it was a hell of cheap shot (by this I mean punching Smid when his guard was down).

I thought the original hit by Avery was good.

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

35. NightRyder says:

I’d agree Weber is unlikely.

But Nashville has huge money problems, he’ll eventually cost $7M a year, they have a host of young prospects to replace him, and dealing him from a non-hockey market would not cause the hysteria it might cause up here.

The ransom, however, would be mighty high and I don’t know that we have enough baubles to exchange.

36. mrhabby says:

The Doctors report for the HABS and a psychlogist for us.

37. twilighthours says:

Bettman won’t go until he stops making the owners rich(er), and they did get rich under his watchful eye.

Campbell is a neanderthal thug who makes a mockery of his position.  This latest story is mind-boggling.  If this is just a snippet of what he writes, can you imagine being a fly on the wall of his office on a daily basis?

38. habs fan from stonyplain says:

Mr. shiloh that can or will never happen first he has to clear recallable waivers and since we are the second ranked team in the east and it goes from bottom up we have no shot at him

39. punkster says:

The “reliable source” is Tony. Got it direct from the evil monkey in his closet.

40. NightRyder says:

So if Markov is out for the year, you are advocating NOT using up the salary slot of our No. 1 defenceman, but rather calling up a minor leaguer to fill a bottom pairing slot.

41. twilighthours says:

Kind of.  Cliff Fletcher actually said that he died.  So while the media (specifically Damien Cox) didn’t fact-check, it wasn’t a rumour from a “source.”

42. avatar_58 says:

Maybe it’s about time all the ‘heads’ of these places get switched up. That includes Bettman. This old boys club nonsense it getting….well…old.

43. punkster says:

Let’s get the doctor’s report first.

44. twilighthours says:

It’s a huge huge story that will, unfortuately, be swept under the rug.

45. shootdapuck says:

Consider this, why are the Canadiens being so secretive about the injury to Markov?

Is it possible that there is a a trade for a D-man being negotiated and the Habs Management do not want appear “desperate” or negotation from a point of weakness?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

46. punkster says:

Talk amongst yourselves?

Hey, how about this; Picard, Weber, Carle, Henry and Nash. That’s what the farm is for.

47. iHeart Les Habitants says:

Hey, remember when Pat Burns died this summer?  Oh wait, he didn’t, it was only the media getting ahead of itself once again.

48. mrhabby says:

Shea Weber was made Captain last year..i doubt it would happen. Kaberle…Burke would not trade him to us..just on principle. All the others i don’t know.

ps..forgot about Mara…he sucks and way to old.

49. twilighthours says:

Campbell’s contract is gross but he’s a hell of a player and I’d love to have him on the Habs, even at that pricetag.

50. shiram says:

It’s been posted a few times today, but it needs to be seen and read

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

51. Harani says:

I’ll believe it when the Habs tell it is so. Let’s be optimistic.

“It must be love!”

52. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I figure Weber is probably one of the top 5 “untouchables” in the league in terms of upcoming UFA/RFAs…….unless PG offers up Pleks, Cammy or PK, he’ll be staying in Nashville

53. avatar_58 says:

Anyone see this?

It’s funny how someone’s true personality can be obtained when you hear/read their private conversations isn’t it? They’ll claim it wasn’t meant the way it sounds or that it was ‘private’, but it was said.

54. Natrous says:

I’m willing to bet that this is as much information as the Habs camp has right now, which is nothing at all. It takes at least a few days for the swelling to drop in a damaged knee, and there’s little to no point of performing an MRI until this has happened, so I would wager that they’re hoping for a definitive diagnosis in the coming days.

55. avatar_58 says:

I want them to sign him, albeit to a lower contract than he would have gotten (sorry Marky). Thing is it’s a giant risk and business/winning wise it might not make sense. I can see Gauthier deciding against it. He’s already made one tough decision we didn’t like, who’s to say this won’t be the next one?

The thought of Markov getting better and winning with someone else makes me VERY dissapointed.

56. nickster13 says:

on a side note, LOL at tsn. The headline is “STILL ANGRY” and its about how the oilers are still mad at avery a day later. i thought that was funny.. thoughts? also, i dont think it was as much of a cheap shot as oilers players think it was.

57. joeybarrie says:

However, how is it that he is injured so severly with a brace on, and the fact that Staal didn’t hurt himself at all? The arrows do not point to such a huge injury to me… HOWEVER, I know nothing. But then again since the knee is too swollen to have a MRI, I don’t think ANYONE knows anything.

This SUCKS though…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

58. Shiloh says:

I’m starting a rumor that he’ll be back in 2 weeks. But – let’s scout around for another defenseman in the interim. Maybe Souray at half the cap hit – I know he’s brittle too but we have some luck coming, don’t we?

59. SKHab says:

If he is not coming back, who could the Habs reasonably go after? (Please, not MAB)  Or who is ready to be called up from the farm team?

60. NightRyder says:

Here’s a list of d-men that could potentially be available in case Markov is done for the year.

Shea Weber, NAS, RFA

Weber would be the home run and cost the most, both now and in the future. But Nashville has a host of good young d-man prospects and may be willing to part with Weber rather than continue with a big ticket down the line.

Ed Jovanovski, PHO, UFA
    Tomas Kaberle, TOR, UFA
    Kevin Bieksa, VAN, UFA
    Sami Salo, VAN UFA
    Bryan McCabe, FLA, UFA
    James Wisniewski, NYI, UFA
    Scott Hannan, COL, UFA
    Paul Mara, ANH UFA
    Brent Sopel, ATL UFA
    Karlis Skrastins, DAL UFA

The UFAs are listed in order of their potential usefulness, as well as the cost to acquire them. I’m not huge on rentals however, but since our prospects haven’t exactly set the world on fire, moving a few of them probably wouldn’t hurt as much as you’d think. Jovo is almost like an older version of PK, high-risk, high reward, but a little tougher. Kaberle would be the most logical fit to replace Markov, but Burke would want too much and isn’t likely to deal a prized asset to the Habs. Either Bieksa or Salo will be expandable cap-wise by the Canucks once Salo is healthy. Salo is actually the better player, but is so fragile he makes Markov look like Garry Unger. Bieksa has hit a plateau, but is versatile enough to play in all situations and has some toughness. Both Canucks are right-handed, which might help if we find one to pair with Spacek. I’ve never been a huge fan of McCabe; like Wisniewski’s grit, and the rest are simply space-fillers (I’m looking at you Mara).

Brian Campbell, CHI, 3 years, $7.1M hit
    Robyn Regehr, CAL 2 years, 4M
    Brent Burns, MIN, 1 year, 3.5M
    Kurtis Foster, EDM, 1 year, $1.8M
    Joe Corvo, CAR, 1 year, 2.2M

The rest are guys we’d have to pay for another year (at least). I’m guessing the Hawks would love to move Campbell’s deal, though having he and Gomez make a combined $14.5M would make my head explode. Regehr makes sense as a minutes eater and replacement next year for Hamrlik, Minny might move Burns, who might help the power play. Foster would be a great cheap addition (he’s also decent on the PP) if the Oilers continue to suck and Corvo simply fills out my list.

Talk amongst yourselves, and forgive me if Markov is back next week!

61. twilighthours says:

Maybe the MRI has taken place but no one’s talking about the result.

62. shiram says:

Thanx for the calming words

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

63. matraque says:

Highly possible… We will all know what’s up this week.

If it wasn’t a big deal… everything would have been cleared out today.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

64. otter649 says:

A reliable source ? when a MRI has not taken place due to sweeling of the knee just a bunch of BS probably as reliable when a couple of Habs were supposed to be arrested after a game in Pittsburg a few years ago…..

65. SeriousFan09 says:

The Finnish Flash was thought to be done after struggling with knee
    problems and had extensive rehab the year of the lockout, Anaheim took a
    chance on him and he posted twin 40-goal seasons and is now looking to
    leap over Joe Sakic for career goals.

Maybe he’s done, but I
    wouldn’t mind seeing him get a more modest contract when he finishes
    rehab, he’s been a solid guy for Montreal and deserves a shot if he can
    make it back. Maybe he’ll never be himself, but I’d like to see him get the chance to get back into the NHL as a Hab.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

66. Storm Man says:

WOW…… All the doom on here. Let’s go back to 1999 and a player named Pavel Bure who who tore up his knee two times also and came back the next two years scoring 58 and 59 goals. AM79 will be fine. Chill out and enjoy the week.

67. avatar_58 says:

I’m no optimist but I really hope this is all speculation

68. namgel says:

I doubt it……I really do….He had a brace on that knee to protect it.

I could be wrong but……I could be right 🙂

69. shiram says:

Well this is still only a rumour, but if he misses major time, which seems to be the case you got to wonder what will happen for contract talks next year…

I’m thinking this articlee is basically just trying to get a grab of the attention this news item is getting,and feeding on the lack of information coming from the Habs camp.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

70. avatar_58 says:

Then that’s it then. 🙁 It might be his last game as a hab, given it’s a hell of a gamble to assume he’ll be back at 100%. Think about it – by the time he comes back he’s going to need a lot of rehab and practice to come back to his old form, if he ever does.

Goddamn……Markov 🙁 I don’t want to think like this but it may be happy trails buddy.

71. twilighthours says:

A rumour is just a rumor, but this one smells like it has some authenticity.

Very sad.  Markov likely has played his last game as a Hab.

72. since1988 says:

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

73. fuhgawz says:

Hammer / Gill / Markov (who replaces them ?? )

who is available UFA next season

74. RJ says:

We will SO miss him and I feel incredibly bad for this GREAT player who has had such bad luck. Unfair.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley