Markov done for the season

In a late-afternoon e-mail, the Canadiens have confirmed what the Team 990′s Tony Marinaro reported two days ago: Andrei Markov’s season is over.

He will have surgery next week on the right knee that was surgically repaired last summer.

• Stubbs news story is here.

The team announcement:

… defenseman Andrei Markov will undergo knee surgery on Wednesday, December 8. The surgery, to repair a meniscus and reconstruct the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), will be performed in Alabama by doctor James Andrews. “We are very confident that Andrei will be able to fully recover from this injury,” said the Canadiens’ general manager, Pierre Gauthier.

Anyone out there as “very confident” as Gauthier?

Markov will be 32 next month. He’s had four significant injuries over the last three seasons. And it’s not like he’s been levelled by Scott Stevens, Ulf Samuelsson or Darius Kasparaitis.

Markov is in the last season of a four-year, $23-million contract. He’s a UFA on July 1.

What now?

• Views from Arpon Basu and François Gagnon

Hj_TBWXPKFM

1. light_n_tasty says:

Honestly, I’d take Kovalev over Guerin.

2. twilighthours says:

1) no. Not because I think pacioretty will necessarily be a great b
    NHL plyer, but because I think iginla is nearly done. Fading.

2) he brings no offense but never misses a game and is the biggest team-first guy on team. I’d have no problem giving him a 3.75 mil average hit over a long term.

3) akost: same salary, maybe a bit more. He’s been great but let’s see how the rest of the year goes

Pouliot: 1.75 mil for 2 or 3 years. But I don’t know when he is UFA eligible so this could be a dumb term

Lappy: $0 for 0 years. I wish he wasn’t on the team.

Gill: tough one, but I’d let him walk.

3. light_n_tasty says:

I’m gonna get lambasted for this, but why couldn’t it have happened to Gomez instead of Markov?!?  Imagine the cap room!  Imagine the possibilities!

4. observer says:

5. Based on Gauthier’s record, do you have faith he’ll get the help we need? —– Gauthier didn’t have a pretty good track record before. HOWEVER it sure looks like he has made a few brilliant moves in last half year so why should this run not continue?

5. darcy1 says:

Markov’s been our rock over the last decade, and just got his Canadian citizenship.. you HAVE to resign him, whether its short term or long term.. you can’t let him walk away for nothing and risk him going to a conference rival (god forbid the leafs sign him)

6. noelsroyce says:

Why don’t they show the kids skating on the ice/line-up announcement each and every time? Is there a rule?

~Erin

7. Matt_in_TO says:

1 – In a heartbeat.  Not sure if that would make us a contender but it wouldn’t hurt.  I would kill to have Iggy.

2 – It’s hard to say.  He’s making 1.3 this year so I’m thinking around 2 – 2.25.

3 – 4.00, 1.5, 1.0, 2.25

- In Price We Trust

8. aemarchand11 says:

Markov will be back next season, it wont be an expensive contract and probably a one year deal. The habs respect and appreciate Markov and he loves Montreal.

Best Doctor in the world performing his surgery, he will have a long time to heal and be ready for another year. It would be foolish to give up on him. But no long term deal until an entire season is completed.

2010-2011

9. SmartDog says:

I am STUNNED at how many people seem to think this is a good idea.

STUNNED.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

10. Matt_in_TO says:

Anyone think we should use some of the cap space to sign Guerin?  I’m sure we can get him pretty cheap right now and still have room for a deadline deal.  I know he’s 40 and I’m sure there’s a reason why no one else has signed him but he did score 21 goals last year and I think he might have some gas left in the tank.  He’s a big body, right handed shot who can play on the 2nd line.  We need a top 6 forward and I think he can be that for the rest of the season.  Also brings a boat load of leadership and experince which you can never have too much of.

- In Price We Trust

11. Bugs says:

I’m all for it, baby. But uhh, who do we get to stand in for Balej?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

12. SmartDog says:

BASED ON FEEDBACK BELOW… 3 MORE QUESTIONS:

1. Would you want Iginla if we could get him for MaxPac and another promising prospect?  Would that “make us a contender”?

2. How much is Gorges worth?  What’s the MAX you would pay?

3. Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Laps, and Gill are also in contract years.  What’s the max you would pay for each one you would want back?

SD

——-

Yes. Iginla!!! It’ll be his Raymond Bourque moment. Re-unite him with Cammy. OMFG!!!

14. darcy1 says:

I don’t think we’ll have that much room. From my understanding, LTIR replaces the cap dollar you have avaliable with the amount that the player’s contract is worth. There was about  4.5 million left on his contract, so that’s the amount we are allowed to spend over our current payroll. Of course, the longer PG waits to make a trade, the higher-value contract we can take on.

15. twilighthours says:

Sucky news. Now that markov is officially done, I think that the habs are one top-4 D and a 2nd line winger away from being a true and legitimate contender. Maybe pouliot or pacioretty will become that winger but probably not this year.

I still love the makeup of this team but I’m not sure how the habs should use this cap space….

Nonetheless, I’ll trust gauthier. He’s done a great job so far.

16. light_n_tasty says:

1. 1 year, 6.25 mil, or 2 years 11 mil.  I don’t think he would get a decrease in pay, especially not a 30% decrease (5.75 down to 4).

2.  In 20 games, we should start looking to spend that money.  The team has too many holes to do nothing.  But we need to wait about 20 games to see exactly what we need and get a better sense of what is available.

3. I think a forward would better address the issues facing the Habs, but it will take the 20 games to get a better idea.

4. second line winger with size and grit.

5.  I doubt that the team will be stronger as a result of this.  Whatever we get to replace Markov won’t equal the value we lost in him.  And that’s nothing to do with Gauthier.

1. Offer Markov 2 years at 2.5 million per after he takes a full season (all of this year and 2011-2012) off for re-Hab and only if he is fully recovered. (2012-2013 to 2013-2014)

2. Wait and see.

3. Within, it aint broke.

4. Resign Gomez for more cash. ( I couldn’t resist) Seriously, go for an impact forward.

5. Yes. Wait and see. In PG I trust!!!

18. SmartDog says:

I didn’t say I disagreed with the others… I was still thinkin’!

But…

1) I would think offer him a discount deal. He’s going to want to prove to Mtl and other interested teams he still has it – or find out if he does.  Why not here at a discount. Seems like win-win.

2) I agree with #2. Unless there’s a good 2nd line center out there. We need that badly.

3) Agreed!

4) I agree but who WOULDN’T want a Chelios.  But I think we need a Chelios-like winger.

5) Makes sense.

Happy?  :)

——-

19. Rugger says:

1. yes

2. Listen to those that come bearing offers, but let things ride till close to the deadline.  Almost no team is eliminated yet, let some more teams accept failure before shopping.

3. Shop for impact forward.

4. Big wing

5. Yes, he has a lot more cap to play with this year.

20. homerbowen says:

Not for draft picks.

21. BC HAB says:

Ah yes, I forgot that we had to give something up.

22. homerbowen says:

Not for draft picks.

23. SmartDog says:

About your answer to .5.  Yeah, that makes sense but you have to think that Gauthier will have a good idea by now or soon who he wants back and what his actual needs are. So for example, if he knows that he needs to get younger on D, then he knows that there is no way he wants Hamrlik back.  And that means maybe he CAN hunt for a $3 million D (still cheaper than Hamrlik… and Markov if he IS back will be cheaper too) since he has the money now and beyond. Especially if he’s happy with Weber so he knows he’s got another entry-level contract defenseman.

——-

24. Da Hema says:

Ah yes. As Jim Lahey would say, there’s always someone who wants to raise a sh*t storm.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

25. homerbowen says:

Markov has been a great Hab, however, in this “cap” era we must look beyond him. Too risky to sign him for long term and big bucks as knees can only take so much beating and he is now past that point (ask Orr). If he was 25 I would not say this but at 32 too risky. Once your knees turn to glass it’s time to move behind the bench and hopefully the Habs will offer that.

26. JohnnyBEast says:

Oh ya, forgot about that, wishful thinking I guess

27. Habifornia says:

To make us a contender for the cup (and I mean this year), I think we should go for an impact forward. Our D has been excellent so far without Markov (best defensive record in the league) and there’s no reason to think that won’t keep up the rest of the year (yes I know, injuries happen, but they can happen to any other team too). We already have 7 very capable defenseman playing very well (think about the Subban vs Weber scenario right now)… so we should get someone to really put us over the top on our top 2 lines.

Think about this…. seriously: How about we give Calgary a first round pick and a top prospect (say MaxPac) for Iginla. That makes our top lines look like this:

AK-Pleks-Gionta

Iginla-Gomez-Cammy

We can afford the remainder of Iginla’s salary at the trade deadline without much problems. And we would instantly be considered a cup contender.

We can dream…

____________________________________________

“Mr Gainey, you will not regret picking me”.
    – PK Subban

28. notbigbird says:

Thanks.

29. BC HAB says:

I say go get Kovalev at the deadline. It will not hurt. He usually shows up 4 the playoffs and is a ufa at the end of the season.

30. HabsFanInTampa says:

Damn Dawg! You agree on just one of my points? :)

31. darcy1 says:

why couldn’t the leafs sign Markov on July 1? Giguere and Kaberle come off the books to the tune of $10 Million.

32. CharlieHodgeFan says:

They’ll have a clearer idea of what’s up after the surgery. Til then, it only makes sense to wait and see.

Before Gainey’s great blow up, this would have been the end of the season. As it is, it hurts, but there is so much more depth on this good team now. Markov can’t be replaced, but there’s enough depth to do things differently.

It’s a shame though. I like Markov and what he brings on and off the ice. I hope he has a full recovery, and that if he doesn’t, the organization shows respect for what he has brought to it.

33. Da Hema says:

I am thinking of a future scenario where his knee will be an ongoing problem–a plausible enough assumption to make–serious enough for the team to lose his services for periods of time, but not serious enough to go on the long-term injury list. I understand injured players’ salaries do not count against the cap space, but frankly you don’t build and sustain teams based on a player playing only 30-40 games a season. Despite how good the player is, re-integrating them into the team has costs too. And as much as I appreciate Markov’s skills, he isn’t Bobby Orr or Larry Robinson.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

34. homerbowen says:

Never trade with the Laffs

35. SmartDog says:

I agree with your point 3.  Lots of time.  This is an opportunity for Weber and probably one other Hamilton D-man over the next couple of months.  By late January we’ll know if our D is solid and there will be time and money to make deals.

——-

36. HabsFanInTampa says:

I agree totally.

37. Will Longlade says:

The Habs have always been a class organization. Those thinking that
    Markov is going to be cut loose by the Habs are dreaming in technicolour. Assuming, the Hab’s medical experts believe that Markov can fully recover from his injury, Montreal
    will sign him to a fair contract, one that is incentive-laden. What’s more, even a
    gimpy Markov is better than all but one or two of the potential
    UFA D-men that will be on the market next year.

IMO, the Habs could have one of the better D in the league next year. Some of the team’s younger D-men will have had the opportunity to gain some experience while Markov is on the mend. Markov will have the time to fully recover from his injury. Some of the team’s older D-men will be resigned to short-term deals and make less coin. Gorges will get a well deserved raise. At the end of the day, maybe one new face is added (probably this year before the trade deadline). Those hoping for a significant makeover don’t appreciate the fact that the Habs have a pretty decent D, relative to the majority of the other teams in the league. Having six Bobby Orr’s would be nice, but isn’t exactly feasible in the salary-cap era.

38. HabsFanInTampa says:

1) Time to part ways with Mr. Markov.

2) Let’s wait and see. No need to go hastily spending. We’re playing well and so far our D is keeping us in the games.

3) Promote from within and see what happens. If we start losing games, then we go shopping.

4) I want like a Chris Chelios type of player. What I don’t want is MAB or Souray.

5) Yes, he can make this team stronger. How? By waiting until the trade deadline and see which teams are trying to unload which players.

39. notbigbird says:

Please explain. Why would they be stuck with cap space if he were still injured and didn’t return?

40. Mike says:

HORRIBLE DEAL!!

Kaberle is so soft on the puck. He is not what the habs needs. He is Spacek but softer on the puck. The habs have Hammerlik/Cammy + Subban, and Spacek + Picard on the point right now. Not terrible. If any trade was to be made with Toronto, I can see us trading Pouliot to the leafs for picks. And then us packaging those picks + our own Assests to New Jersey for a guy there.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

1. If he can come back, offer him a deal. He’s been a loyal Hab, grinded out his rehab and came back early twice for the team.

2. No need to immediately go for anything, the only thing teams will be offering right now is their albatross contracts and we don’t need one of those.

3. Team can wait and evaluate on Weber for now.

4. Preferably a forward with some finish, maybe ring NJD up around the deadline, they are pretty much cooked for the playoffs so see if the team can acquire Arnott or Langenbrunner. They’ve got Cup experience and work in team-first environments. It also allows NJ to finish even lower in the standings and get a crack in the draft lottery.

5. He’ll likely deal for a playoff piece, but I doubt he’ll go that far to get it. He has FA issues to address this off-season and can’t afford to take on any contracts that go past this season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS NEWS:

Markov out means a lot of things. It means we’re without our all-star. It means we have major cap room. It means we might need help on D. (Though if you think it’s coincidence Martin decided to test Weber’s D form at the same time as this new hits, I’ve got some fine swampland to sell you near Amherst.)  It also means the Habs need to decide what if any extension to offer Markov, before he gets game-tested again.

So….

1. Assuming the surgery goes well (though the LAST surgery supposedly went well!) do you offer Marky a short-term deal at a modest sum (1 year, 4 million?) or…?

2. Do you immediatley look to spend some of your new found cash?  Or is it better to wait and see how healthy your team is through the middle of the season?

3. If you do go shopping, do you shop for a defenseman or promote from within (Weber)?

4. Assuming there is cash for a rental, what do you want?

5. Based on Gauthier’s record, do you have faith he’ll get the help we need?  Put another way, we’ve managed to do well without Markov this year – and in most of the playoffs last year… so can Gautheir truly make this team STRONGER as a result of this?  How?

SD

——-

43. light_n_tasty says:

For some reason I think that we wouldn’t save anything if we bought him out.  But we would save 100k if he was waived to the minors.

44. Keith says:

Yeah, bad news all around for everybody and especially for Markov. I’ve been dreading this announcement all week but I knew that he was going to be out for the season. A tragedy really.

45. Hagar says:

Can’t sign him to a 1 year deal. Gotta give him term or let him walk.

46. Da Hema says:

The problem is if Markov is unable to return to form, the team will be stuck with a $3-4 million contract with its subsequent effect on the team’s cap space. Today’s official announcement is bad news for the team, the fans, and especially for Markov, but in the cap space era there is no sentimentality here. The team must move on, and I am not interested in the team signing risky and glass defencemen.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Louis Leblanc took a high stick to the face 2 minutes into the 2nd period of his first game back with the MTL Juniors according to Shaun Starr of the Team 990. Did not return, may or may not be back for the 3rd. Talk about unlucky.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

48. habs365 says:

Markov is a good man in the community..and he’s an excellent defenseman..I wish him all the best..having said that..I honestly think his career is over..if he can’t play again..when he can return..the Habs should offer him a position on the coaching staff working with the defense..I’m sure he would be a dandy.

without him..we have to focus on making the playoffs and hope good things happen..every team deals with injuries and you have to make the best of it..as good as markov is..one player is not a team..it takes twenty players to have a team..he may not be replaceable..but you have to keep moving forward.

markov will be missed..but we have a good enough team im montreal to survive without him..Good Luck To The Habs.

49. 123456 says:

no need to overreact. marky is a huge loss and a guy like kaberle wuld be a decent replacement but i wuld first look to get a top 6 forward. the longer the habs wait to make a move to better deal can be constructed. i’d wait till a month before trade deadline and get both top 6 forward and puck moving dman offering at most a 2nd round pick for one.

unfortunately this is a business. habs owe nothing to markov for his past play – they have paid him how many millions?? no contract offer to him for next season until he can prove he can contribute.

50. Mark C says:

Spacek is a 35+ contract, only save $100K by buying him out.

51. JohnnyBEast says:

This has got me thinking about our D after this season, it could be totally revamped with Hammer, Marky, Picard, Skill Gil all being UFAs and Gorges an RFA. Here is a look at the potential UFA dmen available http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2 . I’d really like Gorges back. I wonder if they’ll buy out Spacek or if Yemelin will make the trip across the pond. I wouldnt mind Bieska’s toughness, but he has a good turnover a game it seems.

52. Keith says:

I would sign Markov to a one year deal at about 3-4 mill and go from there. He’s been a loyal Hab for over 10 years. He deserves that much at least. Hope it all works out for him and the Habs.

53. Chorske says:

We don’t need a defenseman. A scoring forward would be nice– so Moen doesn’t have to be top 6.

54. Keith says:

That’s insane! I would NEVER, under ANY circumstances, make a deal with the laffs. If they were a drowning man I’d throw them an anchor.

55. Matt_in_TO says:

Not going to happen.

- In Price We Trust

56. LEAF KILLERS says:

Scott Niedermayer?

57. Willy the bum says:

Three words: Kill Eric Staal.

My heart just broke to hear the news, Markov is always the great player on the team and a great guy off the ice.  Like I said, maybe it’s time to go onto other alternatives, but so far since the team’s winning, we’ll just see the many surprises during the season.

Hope for the best for Markov!

58. Eric37 says:

Ok, here’s a realistic deal.

Burke deals Kaberle to the Habs for their first round pick.

Burke gets a first rounder, recovers a bit of that reputation.

Habs get a d-man until the end of the season.

Depends on how much Burke wants to improve Montreal, which would ultimately lowers their potential draft pick

E.

59. WindsorHab-10 says:

It was nice having you as a Hab. Good luck Andre.

Sounds cruel but I believe the team should part ways with him. Too risky.

60. JVF says:

Pauvre André. Sign him for at least one year at 3,5 – 4 million $ He deserves the organizations’ support and respect while he recovers. It comes off the cap anyway if it’s LTIR, right? And don’t you worry, he’ll come back. Maybe his skating stride won’t be as smooth or powerful, but he’ll be back. Make no mistake about it. And he’ll be just as smart.

61. LA Loyalist says:

Now if there was a bar that showed star trek (the original) you could be right. :)

62. LA Loyalist says:

Don’t. I’ll cry. He would still have collected his coin and could have helped Youpi out to stay busy.

We would have got cap room for a hockey player. Sigh.

Is it too late to write Santa?

Seriously, we don’t want anyone hurt. It’s just frustration with cruel fate and almost Shakespearean the things that Habs have been through with horrible untimely injuries in recent years Markov x 2, Koivu’s eyeball, Zednik (which pretty much did him) — there’s probably more that I have blocked out… that’s all. No one wishes Gomez personal injury.

63. D Alcorn says:

Agree – not the smartest comments (above) about injury situations :

‘ … look like dog chit, smell like dog chit, taste like dog chit … hmmm, must be dog chit ! ‘ – Cheech & Chong

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

64. D Alcorn says:

Not cool to be happy about injuries – theoretical or otherwise.

‘ .. look like dog chit, smell like dog chit, taste like dog chit .. must be dog chit ! ‘

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

65. rocketsglare says:

66. andrewberkshire says:

They can place him on LTIR retroactive to the day he was injured. Montreal will have about 6.8 million in cap space I believe.

67. observer says:

After the last year and a half of horrendous Price play along with Halak’s outstanding playoff run, just to pick Price over Halak and see this 88 point team of last season today as one of the best teams in the entire league? Yes brilliant is the word for that move that I along with many thought was as bad as ever made here by the Habs. Yes, Eller sure looks like he will be a real good addition. Halperin for a half million or so another great move.

One of our best forwards.

Top six on any team.

Deal.

What’s important is what managment thinks. Most Habs fans don’t know the 1st thing about building a hockey team. Most Habs fans wanted Price traded. Most Habs fans wanted Kovalev resigned. Thankfully most habs fans are not the GM. If Gainey wanted Kovalev so much he’d have signed him. Kovy balked and BG went and got Gionta. Sionara Loafalev.

Gomez is a real 2nd line a centre and a damn good one. His contract is inflated by 2.37 million dollars but anybody would take him for 5 million in a heartbeat. Also Gomez’ contract doesn’t extend into eternity like Lecavalier’s, Ovechkin’s, Hossa’s or Kovalchuck’s.

I like defensively responsible hockey and that takes players to buy into that program. Gomez is a team player in that mould. Invaluable IMHHO.

The bottom line is your thinking is gutter based. “I wish Gomez was injured not Markov,” is what you said and/or implied. It doesn’t change the fact that you want Gomez off the team at any cost, even if it means an injury. To call it reprehinsible is just my honest opinion and I am far from PC. Dude! HH PC!!! That is laughable.

I also think wanting Gomez off the team is short-sighted and bad strategically. Gomez is part of a team concept. He is an elite centre. He’s been to the Stanley Cup Finals 3 times in his career. He was an integral part of the Habs play-off run last season.

Gainey knew exactly what he was doing and I am glad he is giving a big middle finger to fans like you who think they can build a team like NHL 11. Geuss what? NHL 11 isn’t real either.

70. Da Hema says:

Look, Smartdog. To write I’d be happy if Gomez was out instead of Markov is pretty much what I was saying is to wish someone harm. Surely you are not so dense to fail to understand this?

You claim those of us replying are acting childishly, but the mature thing to do here is for you to stop writing things like that.

Is that really so difficult to comprehend?

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

71. light_n_tasty says:

One of our best forwards?!? Top six on any team?!?!  He’s one of the few minus players on this team and has as many points as Matty Darche.

72. SmartDog says:

I’d be happy if Gomez was out  instead of Markov is pretty much what I was saying.  And YES I would!  I don’t wish ill on anyone, but if it happened. Yes I would be happy.

You guys are interpreting this as if I’m about to take up a collection.  It’s childish.  Really.  Baby stuff.  Give me a break from your PC crap.

——-

73. SmartDog says:

Read what I said.  Don’t make things up.  Easy.

This place is getting REALLY PC.

By the way… the scary parts of movies. They’re not REAL!

——-

74. Da Hema says:

I did that because most of you above are long-time posters, and I find it hard to believe you genuinely wish to see happen what you are claiming.

That said, all I asked was that we stop this thread. To be honest, in all my years here, I never recall reading posters wishing an injury on others.

And stop pretending you are wounded or some sort of victim here Smartdog. The following are YOUR WORDS: Gomez stinks. I’d be happy if he was injured long-term. No problem. How could I “misrepresent” the meaning of that?

Perhaps you should settle down now, and just concede you and some others went over the line. It happens. Let’s just move on.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

You’re saying I should get a grip and you’re wishing Gomez gets injured. Nice projecting. The psychiatrist will have field day with you.

Who cares what Ducks management thinks? I care what Habs management thinks. Unlike you who isn’t a Habs fan. I am circling january 22nd on my calendar and hope we kill your Ducks.

77. captaink4life says:

Friday Night Fights: Smart Dog vs Hard Habits

:P

In all seriousness though, I wish Markov a speedy recovery and I think it’s in the best interest of the team to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal. As for Scotty G, give the guy a freakin break already!! I can count on one hand the amount of times he’s been a DEFENSIVE liability thus far this season. I never expected him to put up big offensive numbers anyways. His tenacity and responsible defensive play will be much appreciated in the 2011 playoffs, just as they were appreciated in the 2010 playoffs.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

78. zak says:

I live out west and I,ve been watching Brent Gallager on the local shaw tv. Good draft pick.

79. Caballero says:

Is there any way fans can send Markov get well messages? I bet he will need a lot of support in the coming months because as many have pointed out, a big chunk of the recovery will be coping with the emotional and mental strain.

80. Bill says:

“Tenacious” and “defensively sound” are not words I associate with the Scott Gomez who has played for the Habs. The nicest word I could use for him would be “consistent.”

Well, obviously, if you didn’t expect big offensive numbers from him, you have no reason to be upset. But it seems a little weird not to expect big offensive numbers from your top centre and the highest paid player on the team. If you’re happy with Gomez right now I would like to call your attention to a little thing they refer to as the Salary Cap. Because Gomez is killing it for the Habs.

Full Breezer 4 Life

81. captaink4life says:

Gomez may be the highest paid player on our team but he is not our top centre. The Habs seem to have iced a pretty competitive team regardless of the Gomez contract. Also, now that Markov is on LTIR, we can have pretty much any UFA we want at the trade deadline if they’re willing to come here. Personally I’d rather have Gomez’s contract for the next couple of years than Lecavalier’s for the next 10.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

Gomez is a 60 point man. Nothing more nothing less. Sather was an idiot for giving him that money but he gave him that offer because he saw in him a winner and a veteran leader. If he didn’t do it someone else would’ve offered him something close to it. He went out and did the same with Drury. Briere was also in play that season. Imagine poor Buffalo fans losing their two top centres. The Habs also pilfered Gionta from the Devils. That’s the name of the game. Gomez is a top 6 forward and if he turns out to be a 3rd line centre at season’s end then that means the Habs are deep at that position and the Halak for Eller trade was a gem of a deal. Gomez is far better than Koivu. How many offensive zone penalties does Gomez take? Less in a year than Koivu did in a game. Sorry captainK4life and thanks for wading in but Gomez is a major upgrade over Koivu especially in terms of team spirit.

Gomez is not Redden or Huet. Gomez belongs in the NHL and his play-off performance attests to that.

He never was Ovechkin or Crosby. Talk to Sather about the contract. Nevertheless the cap hit does not cripple the Habs. They are 5th over-all in the friggin’ league and all you people do is whine about 2 million in over-payment.

What’s worse is everybody thinks that with Gomez gone all of a sudden 1st line centres would be lining up to play here. Who do you suppose the Habs would put in place of Gomez? I’d love Brad Richards but he wasn’t in play when Gainey rebuilt the team. Gomez was. Good thing too! Then there is the whole matter of chemistry. A team that plays like a team will beat a team of superstars that play for themselves especially in a 7 game series.

Because Gomez is killing it for the Habs is just an asinine statement.

Did the Habs sign Plex? Did the Habs sign Cammy? Did the Habs sign Gionta.

I hate to say it but Gomez is proving his worth over Markov. What good is Markov injured? Not much. Certainly not as much as Gomez is worth healthy.

83. The Real Glen Sather says:

I for one love Scott Gomez on the Habs!

84. andrewberkshire says:

Gomez has more goals than Henrik Sedin. Just sayin’.

85. rhino514 says:

“Gomez is a major upgrade over Koivu especially in terms of team spirit”?

Koivu was a 10 year captain for the hockey franchise which values team spirit more than any other team. He routinely made players put on on his line better. With Gomez we have to try and find someone who “fits” with his style of play. Koivu still has good enough hands to convert one of those beautiful feeds which Pouliot commonly makes on the third line, Gomez doesn´t. Most of his goals are either a deflection from one of his passes or  a on a wide open net in close. On any odd man rush or between the fifteen to twenty-five foot area he is not a threat to score. If you dissect his 60 point average, a lot of them are 3rd “hand off” assists and an average of 12-13 goals. Not equivalent in my mind to someone who pots around 20 goals with the same number of points per game (koivu last year, or an average number two centre). That person become much more of a two-dimensional threat. “Anyone would gladly pay 5 million for Gomez?” Who? Decent playoff performer, which is important, and a nice guy, but nowhere close to 5 mill.

86. halthehabfan says:

HalTheHabFan

87. MannyR says:

So I’m at the emergency on Friday afternoon at the Jewish General and who do I see? Andre Markov standing in front of the vending machines in the public lounge area. I walk towards him and say “How you doing Andre?”. He looks at me, turns aoround, and walks away. No limp.

True story.

88. Bugs says:

Nice.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

89. Bugs says:

Stupid Eastern Conference finalists, eh?

Joke sure is on those Habs, huh?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

90. LA Loyalist says:

Saku already has 8 or 9 goals on ducks, he takes important face offs and often plays against the other team’s best centers. He plays the last minutes of tight games and the Ducks and Ducks fans are thrilled with him.

Most importantly, he leaves it all on the ice, night after night.

What’s does Gomez leave on the ice? A little yellow puddle in the corner?

I promised Serious I wouldn’t post about Gomez for 2 weeks and I’m already blowing it, but I was unduly provoked.

It’s not Koivu’s fault at all that we didn’t win a cup while he was here. We were burdened with horrific management. I will further invoke Serious (sorry) his hypothesis that if our management had been paying attention we could have had Saku Koivu, Mikka Koivu and Plex down the middle right now.

We would be solid and studdin’ it. Instead of combing through the bars in vieux montreal trying to find someone willing to play on a line with you know who.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

91. LA Loyalist says:

a 60 point man? yes – but over how many years?

well, i made a joke above, then I actually read your entire post, carefully. Why don’t you call up Ducks management and ask if they’d take Gomez over Koivu – theoretically, assuming the contracts were equal – they wouldn’t take Gomez over Koivu in a million freaking years. You would get laughed out of the room. No one on Ducks boards complains about Koivu, they can’t believe how lucky they are. Here we have dozens of complaints about Gomez daily.

You have just posted the single most moronic post I have ever read on this board, and that’s saying something.

I’m not challenging your right to your opinion, you can post whatever you want, but don’t think it will go unchallenged.

Pay attention on January 22nd when Ducks are in town. The fans will make it very clear who they value more.

HI/O member for: 7 hours 23 min

Why is he not here then? Bob Gainey knows more about team spirit than you do.

“Anyone would gladly pay 5 million for Gomez?” Who?

Gomez got his outrageous salary because other teams were bidding for him at the time. Is he worth 7.37 million? Probably not. 5 to 5.5 million? Undoubtably. It doesn’t matter to me that you find that hard to believe. I stand by my comment.

I am happy for Koivu that he is in Anaheim. Nobody in Montreal misses him.

Gomez is a Hab and Koivu isn’t. Case closed.

94. light_n_tasty says:

Gomez also makes 2 mil more per year.

95. light_n_tasty says:

HIO member for 7 hours 23 minutes and he already knows more than you!  You’re strongest argument is Gomez is better because Bob Gainey thinks so?

Weak.

96. light_n_tasty says:

The cap space of Markov being injured is worth more than Gomez healthy.  And Gomez, the “60-point” man, is on pace for 27 points this year.

Says another HIO troll. Who cares what you think. I have yet to read one useful comment from you.

98. habs001 says:

just in his last 4 years he has made 23 million…i dont think he will be at the salvation army christmas lunch soon…he received this money because of performance not because he is a nice or good guy…he has made more money than the majority of people will make in 3 lives..this is a business and since there is a cap you cannot gamble your cap on a players knee…if markov does not make a cent from hockey from now on there is no reason to feel sorry for him. sentiment has no value in a cap era

99. Hagar says:

Dunno why there are posters here that think Markov would agree to a one year contract. This is his livelihood. You think he’s going to sign a 1 year deal, risk ruining his career by wrecking his knee a 3rd time, and flush 30+ million down the crapper. If he actually does, he’s the most selfless man on planet earth. I’m pretty sure he’s not. If PG tried offering me 1 year and refused to budge, I’d be like, “Peace out mother-bitches. I’m signing with Toronto. It’s been a wild ride.” I want PG’s job right now, lol.

100. Hagar says:

Blah blah…this is a business…blah blah. You’re right, This IS a business. I also agree that there’s little room for sentimentality in a salary cap era. I’ll agree that he’s paid for being a great hockey player & not a great guy. I won’t agree that you can’t gamble your cap space on a player’s knee. Let him walk and see if there are no GM’s around willing to gamble on his knee. Why would Markov stay with a team that doesn’t wanna give him term, only to wreck his knee again, and watch his value permanently plummet? Would you yourself sign on for a 1 year deal? You can probably negotiate on actual salary, given the circumstances. You can’t try offering 1 year though. It wouldn’t go over well.

101. SensFanSpezza says:

Now you make do until after the playoffs and you sign Kaberle with Markov’s money.

102. sholi2000.com says:

I think I just threw up a little bit lol.

They Call Me Shane

103. Eric37 says:

Hey Burke…you want a centre?  Take Gomez…we’ll take Kaberle.

E.

104. Exit716 says:

Tomas Kaberle would be a decent replacement for Markov. Given Kaberle’s friendship with Plekanec, it’s an avenue that the Habs need to explore going forward.

105. Matt_in_TO says:

I honestly don’t see Kaberle waiving his NTC and the fact that Burke didn’t move him this summer when he was able to makes me think he won’t try.

- In Price We Trust

It’s clear what the Habs do. They keep on doing what they’ve been doing all year. Be competitive and win games. When the trade deadline comes the habs will be have a Glorieux opportunity to add an impact forward, defenseman or both. The good news is that IMHHO Pierre “the Goatfather” Gauthier (with Gainey as consiliere) will not mortgage the farm and will get exactly what the Habs will need at that point.

Opportunities are made. As much as losing Markov is bad news having that cap space means the Habs can do something very interesting whenever needed.

107. WestHab says:

I’m going to skip the vedio clip. I hope to see Marky back next season. Does “season” also mean playoffs or I’m I jumping the gun? I feel real bad for Markov.

108. TomNickle says:

Man Andrei Markov could be a real bargain at $3.5 – $4 million on a short term deal.

Blessing in disguise?

109. light_n_tasty says:

Not a blessing in disguise, but every cloud has its silver lining.

110. matrags says:

A guy who is as classy on and off the ice as the CH oh his jersey.Get well ,you will be missed.

111. Eric37 says:

Does anyone know if Montreal gets long term salary cap relief?

Meaning markov’s remaing salary comes off the books.

E.

112. Gindan69 says:

Yes, he’s on IR now. It’s off he books. 6.5 to play with now. Maybe get that 2nd line winger sometime this year with that.

113. observer says:

That’s the same doctor NFL teams all use.

114. Storm Man says:

You bet it is….. Im super happy that Doctor Andrews is doing AM79 surgery. I have been saying this for weeks that AM79 need’s the best knee surgeon.

115. Mikey_39 says:

Markov doesn’t just need the best surgeon, but he needs a better strength and conditioning coach.

I for one hope we still resign him.  He’s been loyal to our organization all these years and is one of the best defense men in the league.

116. Gindan69 says:

And WWE send their pro wrestlers there too. Top notch place.

117. observer says:

Burke doesn’t seem to like Kadri , maybe Gomez for him?

118. Eric37 says:

The way he deals, Burke might even give his next two first rounders for Gomez!

E.

119. twocents says:

That’s a bummer.

I hope they offer him a contarct before July 1st.

Or, are they not permitted to?

120. Eric37 says:

Thanks.  That’s good news.

E.

121. light_n_tasty says:

We only have 5.75 (annual hit) to play with.  This is because the amount of LTIR relief we get is only in an amount an extra Markov would put us over the cap.  In effect, we lose the cap room we had, in exchange for cap relief in the amount of Markov’s salary.

122. Exit716 says:

I was referring to this summer. I’m pretty sure Kaberle is sick of the Burke-Wilson Arrogance Sideshow in Toronto.

123. habs365 says:

I don’t know why everyone is in a hurry to get a defenseman..our defense is fine..put pk with weber for awhile and see how they work out..might be the best thing that ever happened..than we have picard in case of injuries or game replacement..if we’re doing good in the standings..maybe start giving the older defensemen a game off here and there to rest for the playoffs..these are all maybe’s..sometimes you have to try things to keep the team fresh.

the forwards..nothing wrong with our forwards..just don’t play mind games with them..gotta have two good scoring lines to offsit each other..one scoring line may get us in the playoffs..when you’re there and you’re playing back to back games..that’s when you need that second scoring line.

never mind getting another defenceman or a forward..we have a good team here..once we get a second line scoring..you’ll be surprise what they can do..our biggest problem is the mind games..got to have the same players that can score..playing together..game in and game out..except for injuries..leave them be….

What’s with all the talk about signing a forward? How about finding another top notch dman? Or have we all agreed that Weber is it?

Sucks about Markov. This is a second time we lose our best player to a game against Carolina. <Timo is wishing well to Eric Staal and the rest of the Carolina dirtbags>

125. habs365 says:

the only place Gomez is gonna go til his contract is up..either 3rd or 4th line and I really doubt that.

he’s like country and western music..he’s her to stay

126. twocents says:

Kovy is the antithesis of this team.

He won’t get within a mile of it. Sorry disciples.

127. rut1212 says:

Eric Staal, the new Justin Williams.

128. sidhu says:

I agree with Basu — it’s not personal, it’s business.

That
    said, I am sure Marky would be willing to re-sign a one-year deal for
    considerably less money so he can continue to play in Montreal and show
    that he’s durable enough for a full season.

My proposal: trade for Bieksa this season, use the Marky cap-space to get a top 6 forward:

2010-11 D:

Gill-Subban
    Gorges-Bieksa
    Hammer-Spaceman
    Picard (7th D)
    Weber (first call-up, plays with team until we trade for Bieksa)

2011-12:

Gill-Subban
    Gorges-Bieksa
    Spaceman-Weber
    Picard (7th D)

129. light_n_tasty says:

So, who are you trading for Bieksa…obviously not a defenceman (in your lineup, anyway).

130. Da Hema says:

Bieksa has had an unusually high number of injuries and lost games over the past three years.

I think I’ll pass.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

131. observer says:

Skinner of Carolina, 18 year old has 8 goals, was watching Car/Colorado game tonight Avalanche announcers said he is favorite for Rookie of the Year?

132. MTLForever says:

he is along with bob from philly

Wow, Vancouver is actually leading after one and Luongo is playing well against the Blackhawks. But 2 more periods to go, there is still a potential for a 7 goal lead. :)

134. sidhu says:

Carle and a conditional pick (4th if he doesn’t resign, 2nd if he does)

Markov done for the season?

It is the words no fan of the Canadiens wants to hear, but defenceman Andrei Markov could miss the rest of this season.

That is what is being said in French-language reports by Agence QMI, citing reliable sources. The report says the all-star defenceman could be out of action for as long as eight months, with the possibility he could miss up to a year.

The Canadiens have said nothing more than Markov suffered a lower-body injury and that further tests were needed to evaluate the defenceman’s right knee. He was injured after a collission with Hurrcanes’ Eric Staal and it is the same knee Markov injured during the playoffs last season.

1. observer says:

why would i be thrilled you fool? hes the best dman an upper echelon player in this league. all im saying dont use bergeron, etc bandaids to fill his spot and that will take spending money more money real money to replace the hidden cap money markov saves the habs. and that requires trading.

2. observer says:

no – assuming the best that he could play in 4 or 5 months against dead fit players NO WAY JOSE WILL HE OR HIS AGENT if the doctor says he can play then NO WAY will he risk to be lost to another freak injury just before his free agency period. another one and his value completely disappers. plus he is getting paid in full for this whole year so why risk anything? he has everything to lose even if they let him play. markov will not play again this season if they say he needs that amount of time. then he is a free agent how much does anyone give an oft injured one with bad knees? which could be worse if he came back and got hurt again.

time to do something now. and if trading is only way then do it.

3. RetroMikey says:

I agree with your right nut, Shea Weber needs to come to Montreal toute de suite if we can pull this deal and lets throw in Weber to sweeten the pot.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

4. ZepFan2 says:

Bah, that’s just too nuts!

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

I’d prefer to use the extra cap relief for help up front. The Habs have some organizational depth on D, for the time being at least, although that OByrne trade is looking a bit premature in hindsight.

However if they could get their hands on Wisniewski I’d be ecstatic although he’s due for a pay raise. Maybe NYI can’t afford him. I’d even prefer Wisniewski over Markov. Sorry SF09.

PG get Wisniewski!!!!

I certainly don’t take any pleasure in viewing that option as possible but it is, unfortunately. It is also possible he returns. We don’t know.

This is one of those life before one’s eyes moments. It’s do or die. Yes or no. 1 or 0.

As much as it saddened me to watch Markov go down one of the things that crossed my mind when it happened was wondering if that was a season ending or worse a career ending fall.

It is my opinion that a star player that is prone to injury has a tendancy of disrupting a team if he gets injured regularly. People complain that Sather was able to sign Gaborik after he dumped Gomez on the Habs. Who cares? Havlat? No way!! Markov might be the next on that list.

I hope it doesn’t happen. I was drooling at the prospect of having Markov and Subban on the back end. This hits hard. In the end the Habs have organizational depth which as a fan is comforting. Losing Markov this way would suck. It doesn’t look good.

7. NightRyder says:

A reliable source (my left nut) tells me Markov’s MRI showed a complete tear of the ACL and he’s done for the season.

A second reliable source (my right nut) indicates that the Canadiens have agreed to send Max Pacioretty, Jared Tinordi and a first-round pick in the 2011 draft to Nashville for Shea Weber.

8. Nina76 says:

the only thing that is going to determin if Markey will play is the results from the Doctor’s report

Dave – I agree and basically stated the same opinion earlier in the day.  Let’s give Picard and Subban a go at least until mid December.

10. darcy1 says:

PG would have to be crazy to give up any assets to pick up Campbell at that price. The hawks need to resign Seabrook this year – they’ll have another cap crisis next summer

11. slapshot777 says:

You must be so thrilled about this. I think I shall wait for a real medical opinion, before accepting yours as true fact. Stop the trolling and let real people in this profession do their job. PG will do what’s best for this team.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

12. drivefor25 says:

I don’t reallly care if he plats tis year or not. I hope he plays though ;)

Fan since ’71

13. Chorske says:

Haha, you think your memory is that good? ;)

NR – In order to trade for Weber, you would have to start with an offer that opened with Subban.  Anything less would be a pipe-dream.

15. punkster says:

Marking this post for future reference.

16. Danno says:

People who are jumping to conclusions should just wait until the real doctors give their opinions.

In the meantime, I remain hopeful this will end up being a minor setback.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. punkster says:

And my point being that our back is not against the wall just now. It’s a tough loss even for a single game but it’s not the end of the world. There are options the least attractive being a one year rental which may be all that’s available and at a ridiculously high price. We have enough Cap anchors without this.

18. JF says:

This whole thing makes me sick.  First, that it happened; second, the way the media are treating it.  The RDS guys are saying Markov’s value will be seriously compromised, his knee will never be very good, the Habs have to look at a future without him.  Now this “reliable source” says he could be gone for a year… or forever.  Yet no doctor’s report has been released.  Why can’t people wait until we know something definite before jumping on some bandwagon and rolling off at top speed with it?

19. punkster says:

Hey look, my comments were not a knock on you or the good work you did researching and listing those names. You’re looking to a future that’s only a few weeks further out than I am looking at. I just don’t want to see a panic driven decision. I like your suggestions man, no sweat. (and as you can tell I have zero expertise but then none of on this site has a damn bit of expertise when compared to the guys who actually do the job…it’s all opinion and yours and mine are equally valid :)

20. observer says:

there is no way markov will play again this season. no way jose. suppose he is lucky enough to come back in 4 or 5 months in march/april and gets hurt again with his free agency starting july 1 and in that case have little value in the market place anymore. no way he plats again this year – his agent wont let him – tis year. habs must trade to remedy no sign up some more bottom feeder players.

21. gumper says:

…or maybe because the extent of the injury has not yet been determined.

NR – I’m not sure that’s the right question.  The real question is how much are you willing to give up (in assets) to rent a player for one year?   Keep in mind that every GM in the league knows your back is up against the wall and that you will have no choice but to overpay.

23. punkster says:

I just prefer to hear the facts first, reach into the farm if required and take the time to evaluate our real needs in time, not our perceived need because of one incident. I do understand your point though.

24. habstrinifan says:

Agree!

“HOWEVER, I know nothing.”

Be careful, Joey, when you start typing out words like that on H I/O:-)

26. NightRyder says:

Where, anywhere, did I say a trade must be made today?

Obviously, you fill the holes in-house until you determine, after a legitimate period of time, what your needs are.

I simply provided a list of options that may be available down the line.

But thanks for your expertise.

27. mrhabby says:

Picard is the only choice..the rest are not NHL calibre full time dmen hence there longish careers in the AHL are adding up. Nash has the most potential from what i have heard and seen. That leaves Picard who has the chance to step up. With Gill/Gorges/Hammer contracts ending seems to me PG might have to do something sooner than later…just saying.

28. punkster says:

To hell with the psychologist MH, we need a bartender and FAST!

29. punkster says:

Until such time as it is determined that a) he is out for an extended period and b) that we actually do need outside help I fully advocate NOT using salary Cap for this. I would say that we’d be able to tell 10 games into the “sans-Markov” season where we stand. Panic decisions will not help this club.

Really Craig, these Habs management guys aren’t rookies or dolts and this isn’t a video game. Panic is the last thing they’ll do. Something else to consider is the trust they would show to any Bulldog callup and the experience those guys would gain. Invaluable. Like I say that’s why the farm is there.

30. habstrinifan says:

Diasgree! From what I gather of the circumstances was ONE HELL OF A CHEAP SHOT!

31. Thurston says:

I’ll wait for the Canadiens to confirm Markov’s injury status before I trust anything from PKP’s “QMI Agency.”

32. habstrinifan says:

I read first email and got sick of the stupidity. No need to read the rest. One email is indictment enough to demonstrate  how assinine and lacking of professional integrity Colin Campbell is. Geez!

33. Malreg says:

…or maybe because they are discreet and secretive about EVERY injury?

34. HabsProf says:

I thought it was a hell of cheap shot (by this I mean punching Smid when his guard was down).

I thought the original hit by Avery was good.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

35. NightRyder says:

I’d agree Weber is unlikely.

But Nashville has huge money problems, he’ll eventually cost $7M a year, they have a host of young prospects to replace him, and dealing him from a non-hockey market would not cause the hysteria it might cause up here.

The ransom, however, would be mighty high and I don’t know that we have enough baubles to exchange.

36. mrhabby says:

The Doctors report for the HABS and a psychlogist for us.

37. twilighthours says:

Bettman won’t go until he stops making the owners rich(er), and they did get rich under his watchful eye.

Campbell is a neanderthal thug who makes a mockery of his position.  This latest story is mind-boggling.  If this is just a snippet of what he writes, can you imagine being a fly on the wall of his office on a daily basis?

38. habs fan from stonyplain says:

Mr. shiloh that can or will never happen first he has to clear recallable waivers and since we are the second ranked team in the east and it goes from bottom up we have no shot at him

39. punkster says:

The “reliable source” is Tony. Got it direct from the evil monkey in his closet.

40. NightRyder says:

So if Markov is out for the year, you are advocating NOT using up the salary slot of our No. 1 defenceman, but rather calling up a minor leaguer to fill a bottom pairing slot.

41. twilighthours says:

Kind of.  Cliff Fletcher actually said that he died.  So while the media (specifically Damien Cox) didn’t fact-check, it wasn’t a rumour from a “source.”

42. avatar_58 says:

Maybe it’s about time all the ‘heads’ of these places get switched up. That includes Bettman. This old boys club nonsense it getting….well…old.

43. punkster says:

Let’s get the doctor’s report first.

44. twilighthours says:

It’s a huge huge story that will, unfortuately, be swept under the rug.

45. shootdapuck says:

Consider this, why are the Canadiens being so secretive about the injury to Markov?

Is it possible that there is a a trade for a D-man being negotiated and the Habs Management do not want appear “desperate” or negotation from a point of weakness?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

46. punkster says:

Talk amongst yourselves?

Hey, how about this; Picard, Weber, Carle, Henry and Nash. That’s what the farm is for.

47. iHeart Les Habitants says:

Hey, remember when Pat Burns died this summer?  Oh wait, he didn’t, it was only the media getting ahead of itself once again.

48. mrhabby says:

Shea Weber was made Captain last year..i doubt it would happen. Kaberle…Burke would not trade him to us..just on principle. All the others i don’t know.

ps..forgot about Mara…he sucks and way to old.

49. twilighthours says:

Campbell’s contract is gross but he’s a hell of a player and I’d love to have him on the Habs, even at that pricetag.

50. shiram says:

It’s been posted a few times today, but it needs to be seen and read

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

51. Harani says:

I’ll believe it when the Habs tell it is so. Let’s be optimistic.

“It must be love!”

52. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I figure Weber is probably one of the top 5 “untouchables” in the league in terms of upcoming UFA/RFAs…….unless PG offers up Pleks, Cammy or PK, he’ll be staying in Nashville

53. avatar_58 says:

Anyone see this? http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341367

It’s funny how someone’s true personality can be obtained when you hear/read their private conversations isn’t it? They’ll claim it wasn’t meant the way it sounds or that it was ‘private’, but it was said.

54. Natrous says:

I’m willing to bet that this is as much information as the Habs camp has right now, which is nothing at all. It takes at least a few days for the swelling to drop in a damaged knee, and there’s little to no point of performing an MRI until this has happened, so I would wager that they’re hoping for a definitive diagnosis in the coming days.

55. avatar_58 says:

I want them to sign him, albeit to a lower contract than he would have gotten (sorry Marky). Thing is it’s a giant risk and business/winning wise it might not make sense. I can see Gauthier deciding against it. He’s already made one tough decision we didn’t like, who’s to say this won’t be the next one?

The thought of Markov getting better and winning with someone else makes me VERY dissapointed.

56. nickster13 says:

on a side note, LOL at tsn. The headline is “STILL ANGRY” and its about how the oilers are still mad at avery a day later. i thought that was funny.. thoughts? also, i dont think it was as much of a cheap shot as oilers players think it was.

57. joeybarrie says:

IM THE ETERNAL OPTIMIST….

However, how is it that he is injured so severly with a brace on, and the fact that Staal didn’t hurt himself at all? The arrows do not point to such a huge injury to me… HOWEVER, I know nothing. But then again since the knee is too swollen to have a MRI, I don’t think ANYONE knows anything.

This SUCKS though…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

58. Shiloh says:

I’m starting a rumor that he’ll be back in 2 weeks. But – let’s scout around for another defenseman in the interim. Maybe Souray at half the cap hit – I know he’s brittle too but we have some luck coming, don’t we?

59. SKHab says:

If he is not coming back, who could the Habs reasonably go after? (Please, not MAB)  Or who is ready to be called up from the farm team?

60. NightRyder says:

Repost:

Here’s a list of d-men that could potentially be available in case Markov is done for the year.

Shea Weber, NAS, RFA

Weber would be the home run and cost the most, both now and in the future. But Nashville has a host of good young d-man prospects and may be willing to part with Weber rather than continue with a big ticket down the line.

Ed Jovanovski, PHO, UFA
    Tomas Kaberle, TOR, UFA
    Kevin Bieksa, VAN, UFA
    Sami Salo, VAN UFA
    Bryan McCabe, FLA, UFA
    James Wisniewski, NYI, UFA
    Scott Hannan, COL, UFA
    Paul Mara, ANH UFA
    Brent Sopel, ATL UFA
    Karlis Skrastins, DAL UFA

The UFAs are listed in order of their potential usefulness, as well as the cost to acquire them. I’m not huge on rentals however, but since our prospects haven’t exactly set the world on fire, moving a few of them probably wouldn’t hurt as much as you’d think. Jovo is almost like an older version of PK, high-risk, high reward, but a little tougher. Kaberle would be the most logical fit to replace Markov, but Burke would want too much and isn’t likely to deal a prized asset to the Habs. Either Bieksa or Salo will be expandable cap-wise by the Canucks once Salo is healthy. Salo is actually the better player, but is so fragile he makes Markov look like Garry Unger. Bieksa has hit a plateau, but is versatile enough to play in all situations and has some toughness. Both Canucks are right-handed, which might help if we find one to pair with Spacek. I’ve never been a huge fan of McCabe; like Wisniewski’s grit, and the rest are simply space-fillers (I’m looking at you Mara).

Brian Campbell, CHI, 3 years, $7.1M hit
    Robyn Regehr, CAL 2 years, 4M
    Brent Burns, MIN, 1 year, 3.5M
    Kurtis Foster, EDM, 1 year, $1.8M
    Joe Corvo, CAR, 1 year, 2.2M

The rest are guys we’d have to pay for another year (at least). I’m guessing the Hawks would love to move Campbell’s deal, though having he and Gomez make a combined $14.5M would make my head explode. Regehr makes sense as a minutes eater and replacement next year for Hamrlik, Minny might move Burns, who might help the power play. Foster would be a great cheap addition (he’s also decent on the PP) if the Oilers continue to suck and Corvo simply fills out my list.

Talk amongst yourselves, and forgive me if Markov is back next week!

61. twilighthours says:

Maybe the MRI has taken place but no one’s talking about the result.

62. shiram says:

Thanx for the calming words

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

63. matraque says:

Highly possible… We will all know what’s up this week.

If it wasn’t a big deal… everything would have been cleared out today.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

64. otter649 says:

A reliable source ? when a MRI has not taken place due to sweeling of the knee just a bunch of BS probably as reliable when a couple of Habs were supposed to be arrested after a game in Pittsburg a few years ago…..

65. SeriousFan09 says:

The Finnish Flash was thought to be done after struggling with knee
    problems and had extensive rehab the year of the lockout, Anaheim took a
    chance on him and he posted twin 40-goal seasons and is now looking to
    leap over Joe Sakic for career goals.

Maybe he’s done, but I
    wouldn’t mind seeing him get a more modest contract when he finishes
    rehab, he’s been a solid guy for Montreal and deserves a shot if he can
    make it back. Maybe he’ll never be himself, but I’d like to see him get the chance to get back into the NHL as a Hab.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

66. Storm Man says:

WOW…… All the doom on here. Let’s go back to 1999 and a player named Pavel Bure who who tore up his knee two times also and came back the next two years scoring 58 and 59 goals. AM79 will be fine. Chill out and enjoy the week.

67. avatar_58 says:

I’m no optimist but I really hope this is all speculation

68. namgel says:

I doubt it……I really do….He had a brace on that knee to protect it.

I could be wrong but……I could be right :)

69. shiram says:

Well this is still only a rumour, but if he misses major time, which seems to be the case you got to wonder what will happen for contract talks next year…

I’m thinking this articlee is basically just trying to get a grab of the attention this news item is getting,and feeding on the lack of information coming from the Habs camp.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

70. avatar_58 says:

Then that’s it then. :( It might be his last game as a hab, given it’s a hell of a gamble to assume he’ll be back at 100%. Think about it – by the time he comes back he’s going to need a lot of rehab and practice to come back to his old form, if he ever does.

Goddamn……Markov :( I don’t want to think like this but it may be happy trails buddy.

71. twilighthours says:

A rumour is just a rumor, but this one smells like it has some authenticity.

Very sad.  Markov likely has played his last game as a Hab.

72. since1988 says:

NOOOOO

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

73. fuhgawz says:

Hammer / Gill / Markov (who replaces them ?? )

who is available UFA next season

74. RJ says:

We will SO miss him and I feel incredibly bad for this GREAT player who has had such bad luck. Unfair.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

75. fuhgawz says:

well if this is true … i hope it isn’t i would have to say he played his last game for the Habs unless he resigns at a resonable price given his issues 3 Mil range to bad but hate to see us lose him for nothing but he is NO good to us going down with injury all the time these past couple season.

76. CalgaryHabsFan says:

I hope this is not true but it looks like we might have to start making plans for life without Markov.

77. Les-Habitants says:

Damn…that SUCKS!

78. mrhabby says:

Christ….i hope were all wrong but bad Karma surrounding Markov right now. This is a long term IR so we have some coin to play as his cap hit is reduced given the injury.

79. aemarchand11 says:

If this is true, I would rather Markov get better and 100% healthy. Chances are his repaired ACL, along with the MCL were torn in the collision. If he takes the time to rest, then by the start of next season he will be ready to go. Yes he is a UFA, but no doubt the habs will sign him, for a discount price no less.

But we need to address a hole on the blueline, Picard has been solid but history has proven that he is not a regular top 6 defenceman. Bieksa has been mentioned, and I would agree that he would be a great addition.

Habs have around 5 million in cap space if markov is on the LTIR.

2010-2011

80. mrhabby says:

I just don’t think Picard is the long term guy..how can he be. Even with Markov back i still  think we had a suspect defence with the oldies logging minutes albiet reduced with PK picking up the slack. Lets remember Gill/Hammers contract ends July 1, 11. Seems to me they should do something to make the back end stronger given what they have now. Lets forget about Carle/Weber they cannot cut it..we all know that.

81. SeriousFan09 says:

Rumours are rumours, I’ll believe it when there’s an actual report from the Habs organization, not a ‘reliable source’.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

82. fuhgawz says:

after Laps spinorama i say trade him to LA for Doughty

83. fuhgawz says:

I am starting to think that if Markov would have taken the slaphot to the head the Josh had taken he would have been dead.  He is turing into a bad luck band-aid.

84. GuyDoon says:

I wonder if this is a “Sports Phychology” moment where a team intentionally leaks info that is worst than it really is to make the three months OFF suddenly appear “no so bad” to everyone.

85. TheLogician says:

the thing i can’t believe is that people are actually surprised by this. it doesn’t take a phd in statistics to realize from one glance at PP and PK numbers that strings have been pulled by some (ahem) “mysterious puppeteer” for years now.

i just hope that this story gains momentum and more of the truth gets out.

and no, habs are not a favourite of the puppeteer. from a purely statistical stand point, it’s virtually impossible to get the PP vs PK numbers they had last year.

and from a logical standpoint, it was virtually impossible for a team like the canes to win the cup without some assistance from above. business comes first with gary and colin. they’re like the Bush and Cheney of hockey.

86. Shiloh says:

Wow – after reading just how biased Colin Campbell is, I can’t believe how bush-league the NHL is. There is no longer any doubt in my mind that he has it in for certain players – and I’m sure Kovalev is one of them. Kovy is on the receiving end of more cheap shots than any player I’ve ever seen – and as soon as he sticks up for himself he’s gone. Any doubt now that the refs know they will be fired if they don’t call a game the way Campbell wants?

87. DavidKB says:

Where did you read the stuff about Campbell?

88. j1qy2vl5z says:

Questions? Call us toll-free!

1-800-559-4209

Mon – Fri 9am – 6pm EST

Shopping Cart is Empty   Home > Men’s Polarized Sunglasses > SW Polarized Sport Style #1325 SW Polarized Style #45 Price: $16.95 Sale Price: $14.41 SW Polarized Style #2715 Price: $16.95 Sale Price: $14.41 SW Polarized Style #499 Price: $16.95 Sale Price: $14.41

SW Polarized Style #45Price: $16.95Sale Price: $14.41
    SW Polarized Style #2715Price: $16.95Sale Price: $14.41
    SW Polarized Style #499Price: $16.95Sale Price: $14.41 SW Polarized Sport Style #1325 FREE Shipping on orders over $25 Regular Price: $18.95 (You Save 15%) Sale Price: $16.11

Out of Stock!

E-mail me when this product becomes available

Out of Stock!

Item is backordered

-OR-

E-mail me when this product becomes available All our sunglasses block harmful UVA & UVB rays 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed Out of Stock In Stock: Same day shipping by 2pm EST FREE Shipping on orders over $25
    Sporty polarized shades wrap around your head for ultimate sun protection. The square lenses provide UV400 protection while fighting glare. Each temple includes metal stripe. Dimensions: (View Dimensions Diagram)
    Eye: 44mm | Width: 130mm | Temple: 125mm
    Eye: 1.7in | Width: 5.1in | Temple: 4.9in Average Customer Review:  Read 17 Reviews | Write a review! More Reviews >> Currently 2/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  SW Polarized Sport Style #1325 They were too tight on my fat head. The return policy is fair- so no worries
    ~ Simon Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  Delighted Really happy with purchase,prescription sunglasses, ordered on a tuesday night had in Ireland on Thursday. Delighted with service and product great value for money! Will buy again!!! A++++
    ~ Joanne Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  lokkesmoe Great value/ fast service
    ~ gary << Previous Reviews | More Reviews >> Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  great purchase Stylish and hip sunglasses for the modern day man.
    ~ Ronald Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  Polarized #1325 Good Looking Good Fitting Good Price.

Cant go wrong at Sunglass warehouse
    ~ M.A. Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5   very clear and comfortable I sometimes forget i have them on
    ~ mike << Previous Reviews | More Reviews >> Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5   very clear and comfortable I sometimes forget i have them on
    ~ mike Currently 2/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5   glasses look good and lenses are nice however, glasses are very uncomfortable to wear.
    ~ nasib Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  Awesome for the $$ These glasses were sleek and comfortable!
    ~ jase << Previous Reviews | More Reviews >> Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  tabs Really cool sporty style and i love the polarization on it. Great product!
    ~ william Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5   Just what I wanter
    ~ Bert Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5   very nice pair of shades for the $$$$..buy these people and i will buy from again
    ~ toby << Previous Reviews | More Reviews >> Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  Great sunglasses Polarized lenses as good as my lost raybans. With this price I could buy ten pairs of these as compared to 1 pair of raybans.
    ~ James Currently 4/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  Nice Sport Glasses These are a good fitting, nice looking pair of sunglasses. I use them for baseball and they work great. I also love the way they look.
    ~ Paul Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  Sub-par They fit the front of the face well,replica louis vuitton handbags, but put a lot of pressure behind my ears. It\'s enough pressure that they\'re very uncomfortable to wear.
    ~ Jason << Previous Reviews Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  Matte Tortoise Frames were light and confortable,they fit so well I forgot I had them on.
    ~ Mark Currently 5/5 Stars. 1 2 3 4 5  Better than Oakley …for the price. What impresses me about these fly's is the a.) design (people comment on them a lot), b.) lens size is perfect, c.) lightweight (can wear these when mountain biking), d.) quality, e.) affordable price. I originally had the gloss black but lost them and got the Matte Black as a replacement and glad I did. I prefer the Matte MUCH more. The finish is really great quality. I wear these all the time and I'm not petrified that I might lose them and then have to mortgage the house to get a replacement pair. $16 for this pair versus $90 for Oakley Gascan's should be an easy choice for anyone.
    ~ Dennis Shop With Confidence Money Back Guarantee Easy Returns Secure Ordering Your Privacy Valued Questions? Call 1-800-559-4209 Add Product Review How do you rate this product overall? * 5 stars 4 stars 3 stars 2 stars 1 star First Name: * Review Title: * Your Review: * Security Code: Get a different code Enter Above Security Code: *     Men’s Sunglasses Women’s Sunglasses   Aviator Sunglasses Polarized Sunglasses Sport Sunglasses Celebrity Sunglasses Oversized Sunglasses Retro Sunglasses Rhinestone Sunglasses Rock Star Sunglasses Round Sunglasses Shield Sunglasses   Top Rated Sunglasses Best Sellers New Arrivals Pre-Holiday Clearance Gift Certificates   Reading Sunglasses Driving Sunglasses Fit Over Sunglasses Clip On Sunglasses Motorcycle Sunglasses Clear Glasses Novelty Sunglasses Goggles Kid’s Sunglasses   Sunglasses Cases Visor Clips Neck Cords   Ray Ban Sunglasses Chanel Sunglasses DG Sunglasses Gucci Sunglasses Armani Sunglasses Coach Sunglasses Versace Sunglasses Prada Sunglasses Spy Sunglasses Dior Sunglasses Maui Jim Sunglasses Ed Hardy Sunglasses Nike Sunglasses LV Sunglasses Police Sunglasses Ralph Lauren Sunglasses Dragon Sunglasses Bolle Sunglasses Guess Sunglasses Fendi Sunglasses Arnette Sunglasses Revo Sunglasses Money Back Guarantee100% Secure OrderingYour Privacy Valued ResourcesShipping & DeliveryEasy ReturnsTracking Your Order About UsOur TeamCustomer ServiceAffiliates Program The BlogSignup to receive exclusive email savings:Source Code: TRSVGSunglass Warehouse is a division of One Click Internet Ventures, LLC, Inc.,ray ban sunglasses, 1064 S Greenwood Springs Blvd,replica watches, Suite F, Greenwood, IN 46143
    Copyright 2002 – 2010 by Sunglass Warehouse,sunglasses guide, a division of One Click Internet Ventures, LLC. All rights reserved. Terms of Use

89. Habscat says:

IMO, Looking back the last 5-6 years there have been a lot of things that have not made logical sense from an officiating (or suspension giving) point of view. The PP/PK numbers are one-sided on a few teams over the stretch, especially the Habs. I had Hab-haters out west agreeing with me that it always seemed like we would kill 6 penalties and have 2-3 powerplays each game. The thing that bothered me is that we are not tough, goonish, or slow, yet we take 2x the penalties every night. Impossible. As for the suspensions – I have never seen anything so inconsistant. Virtually the same play can be a 3-5 game suspension for one guy, and nothing for another.

http://stores.ebay.com/Gushue-Sports-Cards&nbsp; http://ronthecat.webs.com/

hope for the best, prepare for the worst

Nobody knows what is going to happen.

The best case scenario is he plays next game. The worst case, his career is done.

The problem is:

1) we know he isn’t playing next game,

2) his status is unclear and if known is being kept secretive.

Markov’s future is in doubt given the nature of his last two injuries.

Therefore foreseeing a future without Markov is valid. The only thing that can change analyzing that option is Markov’s recovery.

Will his agent be quick to put him in harms way?

Would the Habs be better off without his cap hit and thus some roster flexibility?

Stay tuned my friends!!

91. Cohen Chatter says:

can anyone say Bobby Orr? I fear the worst here. Good thing he was not signed to a fat contract. Bring up ALex Henry to kick some butt.

92. Keith says:

Wow, I sure hope this is wrong, but the French media makes it’s living on speculation so I’ll be waiting on the doctor(s) that are doing the actual examining.

93. Keith says:

Go to TSN, it’s in there, and from what I read of the story, it makes the intregity of the NHL look bad.

94. newbrunswick troy says:

also today on hockey central (serius fan 590 radio) Kiprios,mclean both had pretty much the same thing to say!!

95. newbrunswick troy says:

The thing that makes me, and i,m sure you all worried about these speculative reports on Markov,s season being done ….. is the fact that history has shown 4 things about Markov,s career

1-  He can put up great numbers when he is healthy

2-  He has a tennancy to get injured often

3- He hasn,t shown the ability to play with pain

4- Most of all he scares the shit out of us when he,s not in lineup!!!!

all the same …see ya next year Marky once you,ve signed you Gomez style contract!!!

96. ctony says:

that’s the risk of long term contracts for older players. philadelphia beware