Markov done for the season

In a late-afternoon e-mail, the Canadiens have confirmed what the Team 990’s Tony Marinaro reported two days ago: Andrei Markov’s season is over.

He will have surgery next week on the right knee that was surgically repaired last summer.

• Stubbs news story is here.

The team announcement:

… defenseman Andrei Markov will undergo knee surgery on Wednesday, December 8. The surgery, to repair a meniscus and reconstruct the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), will be performed in Alabama by doctor James Andrews. “We are very confident that Andrei will be able to fully recover from this injury,” said the Canadiens’ general manager, Pierre Gauthier.

Anyone out there as “very confident” as Gauthier?

Markov will be 32 next month. He’s had four significant injuries over the last three seasons. And it’s not like he’s been levelled by Scott Stevens, Ulf Samuelsson or Darius Kasparaitis.

Markov is in the last season of a four-year, $23-million contract. He’s a UFA on July 1.

What now?

• Views from Arpon Basu and François Gagnon

Hj_TBWXPKFM

1. darcy1 says:

I don’t think we’ll have that much room. From my understanding, LTIR replaces the cap dollar you have avaliable with the amount that the player’s contract is worth. There was about  4.5 million left on his contract, so that’s the amount we are allowed to spend over our current payroll. Of course, the longer PG waits to make a trade, the higher-value contract we can take on.

2. darcy1 says:

why couldn’t the leafs sign Markov on July 1? Giguere and Kaberle come off the books to the tune of $10 Million.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Now if there was a bar that showed star trek (the original) you could be right. :)

4. LA Loyalist says:

Don’t. I’ll cry. He would still have collected his coin and could have helped Youpi out to stay busy.

We would have got cap room for a hockey player. Sigh.

Is it too late to write Santa?

Seriously, we don’t want anyone hurt. It’s just frustration with cruel fate and almost Shakespearean the things that Habs have been through with horrible untimely injuries in recent years Markov x 2, Koivu’s eyeball, Zednik (which pretty much did him) — there’s probably more that I have blocked out… that’s all. No one wishes Gomez personal injury.

5. D Alcorn says:

Agree – not the smartest comments (above) about injury situations :

‘ … look like dog chit, smell like dog chit, taste like dog chit … hmmm, must be dog chit ! ‘ – Cheech & Chong

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

6. D Alcorn says:

Not cool to be happy about injuries – theoretical or otherwise.

‘ .. look like dog chit, smell like dog chit, taste like dog chit .. must be dog chit ! ‘

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

7. rocketsglare says:

8. andrewberkshire says:

They can place him on LTIR retroactive to the day he was injured. Montreal will have about 6.8 million in cap space I believe.

9. observer says:

After the last year and a half of horrendous Price play along with Halak’s outstanding playoff run, just to pick Price over Halak and see this 88 point team of last season today as one of the best teams in the entire league? Yes brilliant is the word for that move that I along with many thought was as bad as ever made here by the Habs. Yes, Eller sure looks like he will be a real good addition. Halperin for a half million or so another great move.

One of our best forwards.

Top six on any team.

Deal.

What’s important is what managment thinks. Most Habs fans don’t know the 1st thing about building a hockey team. Most Habs fans wanted Price traded. Most Habs fans wanted Kovalev resigned. Thankfully most habs fans are not the GM. If Gainey wanted Kovalev so much he’d have signed him. Kovy balked and BG went and got Gionta. Sionara Loafalev.

Gomez is a real 2nd line a centre and a damn good one. His contract is inflated by 2.37 million dollars but anybody would take him for 5 million in a heartbeat. Also Gomez’ contract doesn’t extend into eternity like Lecavalier’s, Ovechkin’s, Hossa’s or Kovalchuck’s.

I like defensively responsible hockey and that takes players to buy into that program. Gomez is a team player in that mould. Invaluable IMHHO.

The bottom line is your thinking is gutter based. “I wish Gomez was injured not Markov,” is what you said and/or implied. It doesn’t change the fact that you want Gomez off the team at any cost, even if it means an injury. To call it reprehinsible is just my honest opinion and I am far from PC. Dude! HH PC!!! That is laughable.

I also think wanting Gomez off the team is short-sighted and bad strategically. Gomez is part of a team concept. He is an elite centre. He’s been to the Stanley Cup Finals 3 times in his career. He was an integral part of the Habs play-off run last season.

Gainey knew exactly what he was doing and I am glad he is giving a big middle finger to fans like you who think they can build a team like NHL 11. Geuss what? NHL 11 isn’t real either.

12. Da Hema says:

Look, Smartdog. To write I’d be happy if Gomez was out instead of Markov is pretty much what I was saying is to wish someone harm. Surely you are not so dense to fail to understand this?

You claim those of us replying are acting childishly, but the mature thing to do here is for you to stop writing things like that.

Is that really so difficult to comprehend?

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

13. light_n_tasty says:

One of our best forwards?!? Top six on any team?!?!  He’s one of the few minus players on this team and has as many points as Matty Darche.

14. SmartDog says:

I’d be happy if Gomez was out  instead of Markov is pretty much what I was saying.  And YES I would!  I don’t wish ill on anyone, but if it happened. Yes I would be happy.

You guys are interpreting this as if I’m about to take up a collection.  It’s childish.  Really.  Baby stuff.  Give me a break from your PC crap.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

15. SmartDog says:

Read what I said.  Don’t make things up.  Easy.

This place is getting REALLY PC.

By the way… the scary parts of movies. They’re not REAL!

——-

16. Da Hema says:

I did that because most of you above are long-time posters, and I find it hard to believe you genuinely wish to see happen what you are claiming.

That said, all I asked was that we stop this thread. To be honest, in all my years here, I never recall reading posters wishing an injury on others.

And stop pretending you are wounded or some sort of victim here Smartdog. The following are YOUR WORDS: Gomez stinks. I’d be happy if he was injured long-term. No problem. How could I “misrepresent” the meaning of that?

Perhaps you should settle down now, and just concede you and some others went over the line. It happens. Let’s just move on.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

You’re saying I should get a grip and you’re wishing Gomez gets injured. Nice projecting. The psychiatrist will have field day with you.

18. SmartDog says:

So you LAUGH about this comment which is MUCH worse than anything I’ve ever said.  And you misrepresent me (above) by saying stop wishing ill.  I don’t wish it.  But if it happened, I would be happy that we can have a REAL 2nd line center.  No question.  Sad for Gomez the person, but really it’s not his life that affects me… it’s his hockey playing and the effect on the team of him being gone would be positive.  Most Habs fans would agree.

——-

19. SmartDog says:

See a shrink!!!

Get a grip. Really.

——-

20. SmartDog says:

Did you take time out from watching Star Trek to come online?

I’m saying i’d be happy if he was done versus Markov being done.  It’s not REAL guys… it’s not wishing injury.  I am saying if it DID happen YES I would be happy that we would have MONEY for a replacment and someone else in his position.

It’s THEORITICAL A-HOLES.  Give me a freakin’ break.  You guys ever talk in a bar?  Or do you just sti home wishing you had a life?

——-

21. MTLForever says:

i think youre hilarious that  you think eller is nothing? you can see by watching him he isnt nothing…but youre too blind apparently.

Written by the same people who picked Washington and Pittsburgh to walk all over the Habs last playoffs. Who cares what they write? Do you believe every thing you read?

Gomez is easily worth 5 million. So he’s paid a paltry 2.37 million more. Get a grip. If the Habs were in last and Gomez was -20 with 0 points I’d understand. If he was nowhere last playoffs I’d understand.

Mea culpa.

Learn the meaning of those latin words.

23. olematelot says:

You’re pretty sick man, get some help.

24. larisalapointe says:

Right on HH.

Neither is an injury going to happen and wishing it were so makes you pathological. Don’t you understand that wishing harm to a human being is reprehensible. Wake up man.

If Gomez is not worthy of being a Hab let management decide. You people are seriously messed up. Get your heads checked.

I prefer having Gomez to not having him. He’s a top 6 forward on any team, except maybe Pittsburgh. He’s easily worth 5 million. So he’s over-paid. Is it killing the Habs to have him? Are we in last place?

The bottom line is he is one of our best forwards, the other three being Plex, Cammy and Gio. Is Cammy worth 6 million per over 5 years? It’s the reality of the NHL.

I wonder why you people even call yourselves Habs fans. I have a tough hide but this Gomez bashing is worse than all the Halak crap we endured over the Summer. I am seriously considering leaving this place to you idiots who can moan and groan over Gomez and the contract.

Seriously un-friggin-believable!!

26. notbigbird says:

Sometimes I think you and SeriousFan are the only sane ones left. And a few others, but you get my drift. The place has gone barking mad.

27. Da Hema says:

How about everyone ends the “I wish he were hurt” claims, which is what HH was urging above.

The Habs have had, from my perspective, underperformers like Kovalev and despicable players like Ribeiro. But I never, ever wished them any harm.

Let’s stop all this.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Entry # 28 on Timo’s list – Hippo.

29. light_n_tasty says:

The Gomez contract is a glass ceiling for the Habs, and the only way we are getting any relief from the contract is on the LTIR.  Hey, I would prefer to waive him, but that ain’t gonna happen.

30. habguy says:

what was brilliant?

trading Halak and getting nothing?

or maybe trading for Pouliot ?

or maybe tradind SK for nothing?

or maybe giving a 2nd round pick for Moore then lettting him go.

yes Gauthier is fantastic!

wish there were 29 other GM’s like him so we could fleece them too.

31. ABHabsfan says:

Guerin is sitting at home for a good reason, time to hang ’em up. You pick trash off the heap and you get what you pay for. I am not saying Guerin is trash, he has had a great career and has scored a ton of goals. OUr Habs have the 3rd most points in the NHL, given 1 game in hand they could be 2nd, why should we sign players that 27 other teams below us don’t want?

The Flames’ fire-sale is coming; Boumeester could be a target, he will cost but he fits the Habs’ system, great skater. I would love to get Rene Bourque but I doubt he would be available. Brent Burns is another that would be a welcome addition IMO.

The best players on under-achieving teams should be the one s to look at, not the players who no one else want. Let’s keep in mind that even without Marky, the Habs are a very good team.

32. habguy says:

no got to go for the head.

That is pretty disgusting. That is also the stupidiest thing you’ve said about Gomez up to now. I never wish injury upon any player, not an opponent, certainly not a Hab.

I suggest you take a step back and get over your Gomez loathing because it’s toxic. I liken it to a psychological disorder now. SmartDogism, the uncontrollable despising of Scott Gomez, totally unwarranted and obsessive.

One of the things about Gomez is he doesn’t get injured. Unlike Koivu. And that is only one of his assets to the team. During the playoffs when the Habs were playing Carolina way back when, a few friends of mine were saying stuff like, “What’s Koivu doing, we don’t need him,” and other inanities and then he got his eye poked out. The rest is history.

Believe me. Losing Gomez would cause a major problem with the Habs. Who do you propose replaces him?

Seriouly SD I question your grasp of the game lately. You’re fixated on this one issue. See a shrink!!! You sound like a grumpy old fart.

34. habguy says:

do you know anyone?

I thought that too but can’t find someone suitable.

35. habguy says:

I was thinking the same thing.

boy do I hate Gomez!

36. Da Hema says:

I am not defending his contract Smartdog. And in fact, I made a few critical comments about Gomez’s current work ethic last night.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

37. observer says:

I wouldn’t but he may not want to mess with the team’s chemistry? One can logically think either way.

38. Da Hema says:

Heheh.

Will we all be suspects if Gomez has an “accident.”

I’ll be the Crown’s star witness against Timo.

😉

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

39. SmartDog says:

SECOND on the list of WORST NHL contracts.  And this was written LAST YEAR:

He’s gotta be #1 now.  Can’t you see that Hippo?  Are you still thinking he’s a good player?  Are you still thinkig he’s actually working hard?  C’mon. Wake up!

——

40. light_n_tasty says:

Maybe just have his knees bashed in.  I could care less about how much he’ll costs the Molsons…only his cap hit.

41. Hagar says:

1. It’s been stated recently that Iginla is a definitely a Flame & not on the shopping block. This is a bad time to get your hopes up on landing him. Wait until the rumours crop up again.

Nah… if anybody, contract should be on Staal

43. Da Hema says:

Jesus, guys! Why don’t you all just hire a contract killer and have Gomez offed?

God almighty….

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

44. Rugger says:

Good point, but there is no way Markov will sign with the leafs for LESS than Komi so chances are he would not end up there.

Markov done for the season?

It is the words no fan of the Canadiens wants to hear, but defenceman Andrei Markov could miss the rest of this season.

That is what is being said in French-language reports by Agence QMI, citing reliable sources. The report says the all-star defenceman could be out of action for as long as eight months, with the possibility he could miss up to a year.

The Canadiens have said nothing more than Markov suffered a lower-body injury and that further tests were needed to evaluate the defenceman’s right knee. He was injured after a collission with Hurrcanes’ Eric Staal and it is the same knee Markov injured during the playoffs last season.

1. sh00n says:

I would totally be fine with the first one if the 2nd was true. Could you imagine a Shea Weber/PK Subban defensive pairing for the future?

Holy ****.