Markov creates controversy by playing in KHL game

Andreiweb

The NHL lockout hasn’t officially ended, but already we have our first Canadiens’ controversy involving Andrei Markov.

With a tentative agreement reached to end the lockout, Markov decided to suit up and play with his Russian Vityaz Chekhov squad on Tuesday – his second KHL game since a new CBA was negotiated.

The NHL’s board of governors meets Wednesday afternoon to ratify the agreement, and the players must approve it in an online vote for it to become official. As of faceoff Tuesday at 5 p.m. Markov’s time, the lockout was not formally over.

“I signed a contract here (with KHL Vityaz) during the lockout,” Markov told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs on Tuesday. “Right now, I’m doing what, in my opinion, is the right thing. I’m still here.

“I still belong to (Vityaz) but I also belong to Montreal. As soon as they (meaning the Canadiens or the NHLPA) call me to let me know, or the league announces the lockout is over, I’m going to pack my bags and fly back to Montreal.”

Following Tuesday’s 3-1 Vityaz win, in which Markov played 18:19, he text-messaged Stubbs confirming he’d be on a Thursday flight back to Montreal.

You can read Stubbs’s column on Markov by clicking here.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin made it clear during a press conference Monday that his priority is to sign restricted free-agent defenceman P.K. Subban before the club opens training camp, possibly this weekend.

“I haven’t seen the new (collective bargaining agreement) and we can’t get a contract done until it’s ratified, but I have had preliminary discussions (with Subban’s agent Don Meehan) and we want to get it done as soon as possible,” Bergevin said. “My goal from Day One was to sign P.K.”

Read more by clicking here.

While Subban will eventually get a contract, Mathieu Darche’s future is uncertain. After playing a key role with the NHLPA during negotiations with the league for a new CBA, the 36-year-old free agent doesn’t have a job.

“I really don’t know what’s going to happen,” Darche, who was a prominent member of the NHLPA negotiating committee, told The Gazette’s Pat Hickey. “When we finished up a little before 5 on Sunday morning, all I wanted to do was get home to watch my son play at noon. We had basically been negotiating for 39 hours and I caught up on my sleep Sunday afternoon. I had one message from my agent which said we would talk (Monday).”

You can read Hickey’s column on Darche by clicking here.

Darche isn’t the only veteran free agent left in limbo by the lockout. Monte Stewart of The Canadian Press reports that while much of the free-agent attention will be on Subban and Jamie Benn of the Dallas Stars, there will be more of a scramble for older veteran UFAs. Read more by clicking here.

You can read TSN’s NHL Preview story on the Canadiens by clicking here.

Postmedia News national columnist Cam Cole says the Canadian team owners are the quiet villains of the lockout. Read his column by clicking here.

Meanwhile, if you’re a Bobby Orr fan you’ll be happy to know that the Hall of Famer will finally tell his life story in his own words with a new book, Orr: My Story, slated to be released in October by G.P. Putnam’s Sons. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

1. commandant says:

Brian Burke on Jake Gardiner, “He doesn’t have a concussion, but he’s had concussion like symptoms for the last month.”

Bulldogs Announcer, “So like James Reimer last year?”

Burke, “Yes exactly”

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

If concussions weren’t so serious that would be very funny.

• JohnBellyful says:

Crown attorney to expert witness: “So while you say the defendant isn’t a raving lunatic, you found he exhibits Brian Burke-like symptoms?”
      Witness: “Yes, exactly.”

• Fake says:

As long as Burke is still GM for the Leafs the Habs have all century to win a cup before them.

• ABHabsfan says:

So Gardiner has a scotch hang-over?
      He is chronically dizzy with lack of concentration?
      Can’t dry his hair after a shower without falling over?
      Sounds like a concussion. I’ve had them. Concussion-like symtoms come from a CONCUSSION, or drinking scotch all night. But that usually subsides with a cheeseburger and an afternoon of football-watching.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Caper says:

LOL!! Seriously. What a DA Burkie is but so good for soundbites.

2. ABHabsfan says:

Open question to the cap/contract/CBA savvy commetariat:
    In an instance like Kovalchuk or others who wish to stay in Russia and play, if they decide next year or even the year after they they wouold like to return to the NHL, would they just pick up their old contract and carry on? What if their contract no longer fits under the cap, can a team (like the Devils) refuse his services? How can teams possibly operate under these circumstances?
    Anyone have a clue on this?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

I think this will be a groundbreaking case if this occurs. Radulov was different as his initial contract was prior to official NHL KHL agreement. This will be the test tube case. (I think)

• savethepuck says:

Not a lawyer but, I would think that by not returning be would be breaking his contract. He may also possibly get sued for any bonus monies he’s received. Not sure, just a guess.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• ABHabsfan says:

If he breaks his contract by playing out the year in the K, would he be UFA next year do you think? Devils property RFA I think would be most fair but I have no idea how this goes and the scenario seems likely. If not Kovalchuk then someone else

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

I would guess his contract remains, question is if Jersey would have to honour.

• Blondie says:

There would have to be some sort of repercussions for that kind of an action no? Otherwise all the teams would be bribing their problem contracts to defect on them.

• Mats Naslund says:

Kovy would be leaving $85 Million in salary on the table by breaking his contract. Not going to happen.

3. mark-ID says:

So who would be more likely to make it this year guys:
    A) Louis Leblanc or
    B) Brenden Gallagher
    If we had to choose one and why?

• Big Ted says:

Leblanc is more likely to stick. It doesn’t mean he deserves it more, but Gallagher really needs to play in the top 6, and it’ll be hard to find him a spot there with Desharnais and Gionta already playing there and lacking size. Leblanc could play the 2nd or 3rd line, so it would make it easier to find a spot for him. That said, I’m not sure either guy will make the team out of camp. I’d like to see Gallagher make it, but I think they’re fighting for the first call-up.

4. So with the lockout over, didthe recap of the 92-93 season get flushed as well?

So back with two things:

1. If you caught the Habs presser yesterday, you’ll understand this: http://t.qkme.me/3shiz7.jpg

2. For Habs history followers, I’ve branched off a bit from EOTP for a bit in that aspect. http://www.letiretlebut.com

___________________________________________

Habs talk at Eyes on The Prize and Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But!

Mayer with a great save to keep game scoreless.

And the Bulldogs continue their parade to penalty box.

6. savethepuck says:

can anyone explain what happened with Brendan Nash leaving Hamilton and being replaced by Desantis? It was discussed a little earlier but was not clear.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

7. JohnBellyful says:

NHL blues legend Frozen Waters channels Andrei Markov and puts to rest – mostly – any fears fans might have about the blueliner’s fitness to stand up to the rigours of another NHL season, even one that’s just 48 games.

8. Ron says:

If anybody watching the Dogs on TVAS can speak French would you please translate what the boys were saying in intermission about PK and his contract. Be nice to know.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

They are saying something like

“We work for the company that wants to own the new Quebec Nordiques, so we are going to constantly repeat a bunch of garbage about how the Canadiens are awful and can never re-sign Subban, until they do re-sign him, then Subban sucks”

I don’t get TVA sports, but I’m sure it went something like that.

• Ron says:

You want to pull another Saint Johner’s tail go ahead Sean, have your fun :D

9. jols101 says:

I’m not understanding anything. Just heard Galchenuk’s name a couple of times. What are these blokes talking about?

10. HabFab says:

nhlupdate – Umm..RT @SlavaMalamud: KHL Prez Medvedev to SportsDaily.ru: New CBA may be basis for terminating existing contracts, some players will stay.

WHATEVER!

LOL, i actually find this entertaining. To me the entire contract Kovalchuk signed was a sham from day one. I have zero doubt that when this deal was signed that there was a wink wink, nudge nudge during the handshake essentially saying that Kovalchuk would retire long before this contract was over.

I actually don’t hold Kovalchuk in contempt as much as many, and think this looks good on the Devils and to a lesser extent to Bettman for allowing this BS contract in the first place.

By the way, every year various Canadian hockey players sign contracts in the KHL and leave before honouring the entire contract. While not quite comparable it does happen.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

*Comment only semi-related to your comment.

That Kovalchuk contract is ridiculous, but he carried that team all season (the man played on two lines for about 25mins/game, and lead the team in goals and points) right to the Stanley Cup Final, and he probably played hurt for most of the playoffs, so I think he was, at least almost worth the money.

• Ron says:

It appears to be heating up quite nicely. Wonder how many Russians stay home ? Glad our boys are coming back. If the KHL does pull off this shit it will make it hard for teams to pick Russians in future drafts.

11. Mavid says:

Bulldogs are on TVAHD 1883 Bell..no score

12. Un Canadien errant says:

Over the last couple of summers, we’ve had fun trying to divine how the Canadiens’ roster would look as they opened the season. We’d make up line combinations and defensive pairings, and sprinkle in judicious but putative free agent acquisitions. I for example campaigned for the addition of Shane O’Brien, and later of Taylor Pyatt. It was clean, harmless fun to tide us over after the excitement of the draft but before the start of training camps.

This summer it was a harder task, as the opportunity of unloading Scott Gomez onto the Hamilton Bulldogs to nullify his cap hit was dependent on the new Collective Bargaining Agreement allowing this practice to continue. As we now know, the Canadiens will no longer have this option, the new CBA specifying that players on a one-way contract still count on an NHL team’s salary cap total even if they’re toiling in the minors.

So our fantasies of clearing Mr. Gomez’ $7.4M off the books, and clearing our roster of his trademarked ‘charge-into-the-zone, fake-rush-to-the-net, curl-to-the-sideboards’ move that fools no one no longer nohow are dashed. We’re stuck with him until next summer.

With not much cap room for this season, accounting for P.K. Subban’s new contract still to come, the Canadiens won’t have much flexibility to add players. Also, with a very short training camp, and few if any pre-season games, the opportunity to gauge how the team is doing and adjusting the mix as needed, as Pierre Gauthier tried to do last fall with the in-camp addition of Chris Campoli, will be severely limited.

The strategy used will depend on the outlook Canadiens General Manager Marc Bergevin have for this season. It’s possible he may think that in a shortened season it’s anyone’s Cup for the taking, and therefore load up with a few cheap veterans for a playoff run, taking advantage of a Carey Price who should be coming into his prime, and veterans like Erik Cole, Brian Gionta and Tomas Plekanec before it’s too late.

Our sense however is that he’s a cautious fellow who takes a long view of building a roster. It’s much more likely that he will ride the players he has as far as they’ll take him, and he’ll see how things shake out. I don’t imagine he’d suffer a team that was buffoonish and gutless; his addition of heart and soul veterans Brandon Prust and Francis Brouillon are good indications of his mindset. If however the Canadiens tried hard and battled, and new Head Coach Michel Therrien provided new leadership and discipline, but the team again finished at the bottom of the standings, I don’t think the brain trust, Trevor Timmins first and foremost, would mind very much.

Another factor to take into consideration is the reinforcements available in Hamilton, which are, lamentably, almost non-existent. I say this with great hope that the kids now down on the farm will pay great dividends eventually, but not this year. The evidence is plain to see when watching Bulldogs games or reading the game recaps and boxscores. No Bulldog is tearing up the league. None is too good for that level of play, à la Justin Schultz. Louis Leblanc is having a difficult, unproductive season. Michaël Bournival is mired in a ten-game slump. Aaron Palushaj was having an underwhelming campaign before suffering a shoulder injury.

Blake Geoffrion, who seemed to be taking his veteran role on a young team seriously, and who I thought might earn a spot on the Grand Club when the season started, unfortunately suffered a serious head injury, and his career is now on hold. Greg Pateryn, another older player who I hoped might be able to pitch in later in the season in a third pairing defensive role, is also out with a serious injury, his development stalled. About the only player who seems like he could pitch in right now is Gabriel Dumont, who could be a callup for spot duty on the fourth line.

So our best move will be to leave the youngsters in Hamilton to marinate for a full season at least. Mr. Bergevin’s maxim that you rarely regret bringing up a player too late allows us to confidently predict that they crown jewels (Louis Leblanc, Jared Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu) and supporting players will continue playing in the AHL, adapting and developing their skills to a higher level of competition. They may get an injury callup of a couple of games to ‘get a taste’, but probably not more than that.

Some will argue that some young players are mentally tough enough to ‘take’ a season or two of being outgunned in the NHL, until they mature and their skills catch up. They explain that a young player may benefit from being tempered in the fire of tougher competition right away. I counter that with the fact that it’s not just a mental toughness issue, but also a skill development issue. If a player feels overwhelmed by the pace of the play, and the toughness of the opponent, he will pick up some bad habits, being forced to tread water. Sink or swim rarely works, a step by step process of skill acquisition and development is almost always preferred.

Which brings us to the Alex Galchenyuk quandary. What to do, what to do…

Mr. Galchenyuk does seem to be head and shoulders over the rest of the OHL competition, but I still think he can develop in Sarnia, by playing big minutes in tough situations, and leading his team to the playoffs. I don’t think he’d be wasting his time there, like maybe Jonathan Huberdeau might in St-John. Another factor to consider is that while he had a strong showing with the US team at the World Juniors, he didn’t dominate and seem as if he was NHL-ready. The fact that he seemed to not be able to gain US Head Coach Phil Housley’s full trust, as controversial as that might be, is an indicator that he still has a lot to learn at the junior level.

I think it was Rick Dudley who said that for a player to win an NHL roster spot out of junior, he had to win it cleanly, outright. If the Canadiens are tempted to plug the giant hole on Tomas Plekanec’s left wing with Alex Galchenyuk, let’s hope that it will be based on what they see in camp, and not in their dreams.

Finally, we would prefer it if Mr. Bergevin can come to an agreement with Don Meehan and sign P.K. Subban to a contract relatively quickly. Despite more red flags this off-season as to how P.K. fits in with the rest of the team in the dressing room, he is an undeniable talent who we can’t do without. I don’t see the delay in getting him to ink a contract as a snub, but rather as evidence that the new management team is going to be prudent with its dollars and avoid the pitfalls the prior administration repeatedly dove into headfirst. If Mr. Meehan was as amenable as Lars Eller’s agent (again, Lars’ contract is curiously cap-friendly for the team), or if P.K. adopted Max Pacioretty’s view that getting long-term security was worth a ‘hometown’ discount’ for the Canadiens, the deal would be done already. As it is, Mr. Meehan and Mr. Bergevin are bargaining hard with each other, which is their prerogative.

———————————————————————–
    One month ago, when Don Fehr said the NHL and NHLPA were essentially on top of one another and were not far apart at all from an agreement to end the lockout, the union leader was not kidding.

The only joke was that Canceler-in-Chief Gary Bettman and sidekick Bill (The Hill) Daly responded on that Dec. 6 day by throwing a twin tantrum that effectively shut down negotiations for a month while delaying the start of the 2012-13 season for the same amount of time.

The fact is the agreement in principle the parties reached just a couple of hours before sunrise yesterday morning following a 16-hour workday was suspiciously close in essentially every respect to the proposal to which Bettman responded with another in a set of ultimatums that all proved empty threats while keeping NHL rinks empty at the same time.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• HabFab says:

Welcome back.

Larry is an idiot but otherwise a good read :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hmmm, Brooksie was one of the few columnists who actually called the situation as he saw it, as opposed to the hedge-masters at TSN who had to tread lightly to not anger their broadcast partners (and we know how dearly the NHL values its partnerships), and the major sucks at Sportsnet and their lockout clock, Doug MacLean in the lead in his shameful open audition for another kick at the GM can, anywhere anytime.

But yeah, it’s nice to be back. Let’s drop the puck, ‘stie.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

:) :) :) I haven’t even read your comment yet, but it’s nice to see that you’ve returned sir.

Edit: Your comment makes no mention of my boy Mike Blunden (pictured left), so I take back two of those smiley faces ; )

• savethepuck says:

I was scrolling up from the bottom of the page and I knew I was going to see his name at the top.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks Sean, got the call from Boonie that the lockout was back, and I had to get back into game shape.

And yeah, when I was thinking of this post, I did mean to include Mike Blunden as a serviceable callup/fourth-liner, he’s done a decent job so far in Hamilton.

I’ve got keyboard cramps already. Anyone out there use the speech recognition feature on Windoze? Any hints?

Hello Normand, hope you are well, welcome back sir.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hey Burly, things are good, there’s snow on the hills and 15 cm coming tonight. Looking forward to another good season of debates and heartbreaks.

• Blondie says:

Must be used to the heartbreaks as a Chargers fan. :)

Just kidding. I’m a Vikings fan – they need a quarterback soooo bad.

BTW I lurked here forever before finally signing up during the lockout, of all things, and have always enjoyed your extensive and detailed posts. Welcome back.

• Un Canadien errant says:

This Charger season was fascinating to watch unfold as a fan. You knew the team would implode with Norv Turner miraculously unfired last off-season, but you didn’t quite know how. I predicted a 7-9 finish ( http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2012/09/prediction-san-diego-chargers-go-7-9-in.html ), and it came to pass, but somehow it felt that the team was a 2-14 caliber team. The only good thing that happened this year is that cheapskate Alex Spanos tried to save a couple mill by keeping A.J. Smith and Norv, and it ended up costing him much, much more than that in lost ticket revenue and associated spending.

• Blondie says:

It’s too bad what happened to that team. Loved them during the Fouts years.

It was a good year for Vikings fans. Peterson almost catching Dickersons record and then making the playoffs when nobody thought they would. I just hope Ponder can learn to throw or they get someone who can.

Petersons miraculous comeback gives me a little more hope for Markov too. :)

• JohnBellyful says:

Glad to see you’ve rejoined the madding crowd, UCE — the anti-nunacanadien.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks John. I tried to keep up with your daily lockout personal updates at first, but it just got too sad after a while. You did yeoman’s work though, great job.

• Boomer says:

UCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. frontenac1 says:

@24cups. Bring back AK? Really? May as well go for broke and bring back LaLa and PooPoo.

14. jols101 says:

Were Kadri and LL drafted in the 1st round of the same year?

Hagel just filled in Acton from Marlies for bumping into our goalie!

16. Hobie Hansen says:

People keep mentioning Galchenyuk is going to play on the left side with Plekanec and Ginota. Maybe it happens but just to make it clear, he plays the right wing in Sarnia and also did in the WJHC, If I’m not mistaken? And his shot from that side looks great!

He’s going to eventually play center in MTL but I’m not sure they’d throw him on the left side in the NHL as he’s never played there before?

• commandant says:

He played the Left side in the WJHC…. except on the PP.

He roams so much over the ice, that where he lines up for the faceoff is irrelevant at times though. Needs good linemates to adjust to that.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ah, cool. every highlight I’ve seen off him seems to come off that right wall. Thanks for clarifying though Commandant :-).

Not sure they let him roam allover the ice this year if he makes the team though?

17. chelseafan says:

Hey- wow hockey is back… is it true there is a buy out clause for two contracts per team so we can ditch gomez and take no cap hit… how does this work? anybody?

18. jols101 says:

Just another heads up – Bulldogs vs Marlies on TVA starting right now…

19. Bripro says:

Kristopher Letang was asked if he agreed with the rumor that the Pens are rumored to be cup favorites. He pointed out that in the 94-95 shortened season, that he top 5 ranked teams missed the playoffs, so “it’s anyone’s guess.”
    Smart kid.

20. Habfan10912 says:

I’m confused. Didn’t AK sign with a KHL team over the summer? If so doesn’t the NHL have to honor that contract as well as the KHL must honor the NHL’s? If I’m seeing this correctly, without a buyout or agreement between Florida and his KHL team then AK is stuck in the KHL for the year. No?

———————————–

21. Bripro says:

They’re talking with Jonathan Huberdeau, who had a great wjc. He’ll be heading to Florida Thursday. I would see him developing very well with both AK and Kovalev as mentors.

• jols101 says:

Those ex Habs definitely had some high end skills, especially Kovalev but I don’t think you wants guys that only show up once every five games to be the mentors of your young franchise star.

• savethepuck says:

I”m from Saint John, so not looking forward to seeing Huberdeau leave the Dogs, but I think he deserves to be in the NHL. If these former Habs make the team tho, doesn”t leave much room on the roster for Hubie.

“They don’t hang Conference Champio.nship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• jols101 says:

I think Huberdeau deserves to be in the NHL as well. He will make the team. I think he might of made it last year if he wasn’t such a scrawny kid. I think he only weighed 167 lbs. He worked hard to bulk up a bit and I think he is on his way to being a great NHLer. I bet you will miss watching him live though… That sucks.

• savethepuck says:

He was just 17 when drafted so still a kid. July birthday so he had some growing to do for sure.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Huberdeau was Florida’s top scorer in the pre-season last year and Dale Tallon said he was one of their best players. Tallon also said that the reason they cut him was that they new he’d be returning to a good CHL team with good coaching, but mostly that they didn’t want him to get beat around by NHL defencemen with a huge size advantage.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I surprised they didn’t call him up when they played Montreal because there would be no concern about getting beat down but huge defensemen there. :-).

• 24 Cups says:

Bripro – Not sure if you’re kidding but the thought of two half milers like AK46 and Kovalev mentoring any player is laughable.

Like I said, I take it you’re kidding.

22. Bripro says:

Renault Lavoie just confirmed that the NHL are caving to NBC’s insistence that the pros will participate in the Olympics.
    Given how peeved they were at the lock-out, is anyone surprised?

• savethepuck says:

Good. I look forward to seeing our best pros play in the Olympics. It’s a matter of pride. Better than when I was growing up watching the USER beating the crap out of a bunch of Canadian college kids.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• ooder says:

funny how it was the russians who were the first ones to come out and say that no matter what they are playing in the olympics.. something they do not get paid for.
      while i don’t remeber any canadian making a stance like that.
      but its the russians who are all about the $$$$$$
      ——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

I’m sure this has already been posted but I find it interesting that TSN had all of this stuff in the bag just waiting for the lockout to end.

So Pierre Lebrun just said, the league wanted to start season sooner, but Players have yet to sign off on the first year details….hmmmm thought I was told differently here today. :)

25. SmartDog says:

QUESTION:
    1. If the Habs have a 2nd buy-out this summer, who is more likely: Kaberle or Bourque?
    2. And because I’m a sucker for punishment, who would you rather see on LW next to Plekanec: Bourque or AK46?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• twilighthours says:

Weak, smartdog, you used to do 5 questions.

1) let them play the season before deciding

2) bourque. We already know that kostitsyn sucks. Jury is still out in bourque.

• SmartDog says:

I’m not in game shape. I figure it’ll take a few weeks before I can give 100% for 5 full questions.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Blondie says:

1. In the name of all that is good in the world please….Kaberle!
      2. AK46, I’d really like to see Bourque on RW though.

• geo_habsgo says:

1. I say Kaberle because I think a young player will be ready to eclipse him next season. Bourque has more upside because I think with proper coaching he can be successful again.

2. AK46 hands down. He was a streaky player but I never doubted that he would score at least 20 goals in a season. He’s the kind of guy that shows flashes of elite talent but never puts it together.

• Habfan10912 says:

1. Kabreke unless they can move him in a trade.
      2. Bourque. I haven’t given up on him just yet. Hopefully he has a better season this year.

———————————–

1. Too early to say, lets see how they play this season.
      2. Bourque, I already have the AK tee-shirt, been there done that. Time to move on.

• Hobie Hansen says:

1) Kaberle
      2) Bourque

Not sure I understand the premise behind PK’s most recent sound bite. Something to the effect of, once I have a deal signed you won’t be seeing me in the media. To me it is these kinds of comments that irk me.

Is there a reason why Meehan and Bergevin cannot discuss say tomorrow, or even today? Like the lockout… lets leave things to the last possible moment and then risk a player miss the camp and part of the games only to arrive to a compromise point that was all too logical from a very beginning.

MB is meeting with MAB first, if they can make a deal, PK becomes expendable.

• savethepuck says:

A deal can’t be made until the CBA is ratified. I’m sure they are working on it secretly. They probably were close to a deal in mid September anyway.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

28. Steeltown Hab says:

Dale Tallon bringing Andrei Kostitsyn to camp, I gotta respect this move and most of what he’s done with Florida.

Isn’t there another team looking for a LW with size? Ya let’s not give a chance to a guy who wants to be in MTL, scores goals, and who showed great chemistry with Plekanec and Eller.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• SmartDog says:

I agree with you. AK would be a steal. The prospect of Bourque playing LW on his wrong side, to me is the weakest part of this team. A new coach and a 1 year contract and AK would be an upgrade from that.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Completely agree and let´s assume we keep the DD line together, give Galchenyuk a chance at LW with Plekanec and Gionta, then we could have a third line with Moen – Eller – Kostitsyn that played really well last season.

• 24 Cups says:

Bringing in AK46 for a year on a low budget contract makes perfect sense. However (don’t you just love that word), the Habs need to turn the page on all of the crap from the past. The new CBA doesn’t allow the team to buyout Gomez this year, but that aside, it’s time to move forward.

Okay so an uneven schedule within the division. Why am I willing to bet we get max games against Boston and the Leafs won’t. We probably get max games against Buffalo as well (Granted I like this, as I will be there).

• Bripro says:

I think the Toronto-Buffalo proximity will come into play.
      We’ll get the Bs and the Laffs will get the Sabres and the Sens. Rough…

• Hobie Hansen says:

We’ll probably play Friday night, travel and play the Leafs Saturday after they’re coming off a days rest as usual. four or five of the six times we face them.

• savethepuck says:

I am more concerned with the teams we play 5 times. I am seeing the Habs probably play 3 at the Garden and only 2 at the Bell. Wish they could of figured a way to have even number of games within the division to make an even playing field. 4 or 6 would of been better.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Is the schedule out already? I just heard the types of games.

• savethepuck says:

All that has been determined is 5games against 2 division rivals and 4 games against the other 2. My comment was just saying games between division rivals should be an even number for balanced home and away. Also teams will play 3 games v other conference teams. Are the Habs away for 2 against Pitt, NYR, Phil, etc….

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

Okay I see, yah this will be a very interesting schedule to peruse when released. I wonder how much influence Jacobs will have on it…..

• Ron says:

Come on Burly, if we can have fantasy games and numerous line combos then fantasy schedules are not out of the question :D

HEAD LINE
    Media creates controversy to sell news!
    Garbage reporting at its best!

• SmartDog says:

Hey Ian, I guess that means the NHL is back! LOL

But I have to say, I’d rather a little BS controversy than a “fantasy game report”!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

31. Alright, so let’s get down to business, sign Subban, pick up Jason Arnott, and get this season started! Time to call Videotron and resubscribe to RDS!

And just because I haven’t thought about lines in months…

Pacioretty-DD-Cole
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Armstrong-Eller-Bourque
    Moen-Arnott-Prust

Subban-Gorges
    Markov-Emelin
    Kaberle/Diaz-Bouillon

Woo!

32. frontenac1 says:

Jeeze Zepfan! That does it! You’re my kinda amigo!I think I mighta saw that on my smoke break outside the “Stache!

• ZepFan2 says:

HaHa

Yup, right across from the ‘Stache.

I told him to let me have them. He wanted to be a hero, instead he got a punch in the mouth for it. Good times. :roll:

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“So look at me now I’m just makin’ my play” – AC/DC

Back in Black

33. habaholic68NJ says:

Controversy? I don’t get it Stu.

In the spirit of creating something out of nothing, what term and cap-hit do you expect PK will actually get?

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

34. frontenac1 says:

Komo? Jeeze I had high hopes for him when he was drafted out of Michigan. Broke my heart when Lucic bitch slapped him like that. He never recovered from that IMO. Poor bugger. Chri#t I hate Lucic. Karma Time.

I know you guys/girls are going to get all mushy… I did.

36. Habilis says:

Couple of questions for anyone who knows:

Let’s say the Habs send Galchenyuk down after camp. He plays out the season in Sarnia. With nine games left, the Habs call him up. The Habs make the playoffs and he ends up playing 20 more games for the big club in the post-season.

Does that count as a year off his contract? If it doesn’t, how do they determine what he gets paid while he is up?

• commandant says:

9 games is fine… if he plays a 10th game in any season while he has junior eligibility a year is burnt on his ELC.

However it is unlikely that there would be 9 regular season games left for the Habs after a 20 game Sarnia playoff run that you describe (likely 3-4 rounds)

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habilis says:

I wasn’t clear in the last part of my question, I’ll edit that. What I meant was if he plays the playoff games for Montreal, but from your answer I gather that this would burn a year of his ELC.

Thank you sir.

• commandant says:

I’m not sure.

For the purposes of minimum number of games to be waiver eligible…. Playoff games do count.

for this purpose… the issue hasn’t come up before, and the New CBA isn’t written yet. My guess would be that playoff games don’t count… as they don’t in most instances… but given that they do in one specific instance (aka Waivers) they might here too.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• VJ says:

Now mind you this is under the old CBA, but Price would be an example of it not counting, the year he won the Calder w/ Hamilton, 2 regular season games & 22 Playoff games, but the first year of ELC only started in 07/08 when he played a total of 51 games between Hamilton + Montreal.

it’s my understanding the criteria for ELC contracts didn’t change in any way with the new CBA, so I assume the same would apply (in that first year is only burned off with 9+ regular season games).

• commandant says:

AHL games have never counted if a player is junior aged though.

See Alex Avitsin and how his first season with the bulldogs didn’t take a year off his ELC because he was under the age of 20.

That same rule would apply to price.

Its only NHL games that matter, not AHL.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• VJ says:

Are you sure AHL games don’t count? I always assumed that it was professional hockey that counted (regardless of it being ECHL, AHL or NHL) because ELC deals are automatic 2 way deals. Gallagher is burning his first year now in Hamilton, but I guess that might be a different situation whereas he’s not eligible for Jr any longer (and Jr age players are only eligible for AHL play if their JR team + NHL has been eliminated from play). I’m starting to get in over my head now….

edit – Just did some checking, and you are correct good sir. I tip my hat to you!

• GrimJim says:

I don’t know if this helps given it was 40 years ago but Dryden played the last six games of 1970-1971 followed by a Stanley Cup run that year, and then won the Calder trophy in 1972

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

thats the old cba

• VJ says:

In that situation, it wouldn’t burn a year off their contract. Playoffs don’t count, as players don’t get paid for post-season.

• Habilis says:

That’s what I thought too but I’m fuzzy on the junior eligibility part of it all, I don’t know if there is some caveat for the younger players or not.

Thanks for the response.

37. twilighthours says:

What was the Cam Cole article even about? Was it about how we should be mad at the Canadian owners? Or about how the Canucks will suck?

Stay on target, Cam.

38. Les-Habitants says:

Good for Markov – I would have played as well. He owed his services to his KHL team till the lockout was over, and its still technically not. He’s also not a glass house, which he has proven over 20 games. If we are so worried about him that we think he might break at any moment, then there really is no point in even suiting him up. Markov is fine, and will continue being the beast that we know he is

39. commandant says:

Will be interesting to contrast Stephen Brunt’s great book “Searching for Bobby Orr” with Bobby’s own work.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ZepFan2 says:

I wonder if Orr will put in his book how he got a kid kicked out of the locker room while the kid was getting Derek Sanderson’s autograph?

Yes, that kid was me. I’m still holding a grudge. :smile:

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“So look at me now I’m just makin’ my play
      Don’t try to push your luck just get out of my way” – AC/DC

Back in Black

• commandant says:

You wanted Derek Sanderson’s autograph as a child?

HERETIC! Get out of here!

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ZepFan2 says:

Hey, he was a long haired hippy in the NHL. I liked that he was a free spirit. Little did I know it was the booze.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“So look at me now I’m just makin’ my play
          Don’t try to push your luck just get out of my way” – AC/DC

Back in Black

• Bripro says:

Zep, then you’ll see the irony in this article, in case you didn’t get a chance to read it.

• ZepFan2 says:

@Bri

Great story! Ferguson was always one of my favs.

I almost got back at Orr.

Outside on Closse st. their bus was being loaded. The guys that were loading up left the door up where all the hockey bags went. I grabbed the first one I saw and it just happened to be Orr’s. I opened it up and saw his gloves and took them. My friend saw me and tried to stop me. He managed to get the gloves off of me. Just then the equipment guys were heading out and saw him with the gloves. He got a crack in the jaw for that.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“So look at me now I’m just makin’ my play
            Don’t try to push your luck just get out of my way” – AC/DC

Back in Black

• frontenac1 says:

Sanderson was cool ! The only cool Bruin in history commandant!
          Way to go Zep.

40. frontenac1 says:

@twilight. Mentioned that earlier. After a few cocktails and some herb it all made sense and…….um…..where was I going again?

• twilighthours says:

I really value Nuna’s contributions. The man is a legend.

Regarding the Wiz, I don’t think he is terribly overpaid (for last year’s NHL). Maybe the term is a bit long. But he’s no more overpaid than Markov, for example. He isn’t awesome in his own zone but brings so much more to the table than – for example – Kaberle, whose hit is $1mil less.

• Bripro says:

I’m sorry, but IMO, you can’t compare the stick-handling and vision of Markov to the Wiz’s shot.
        You’re definitely right in pointing out his defensive inefficiencies.
        He was great on the PP, but then so is Markov.
        I think Wiz robbed the bank with that contract.

• twilighthours says:

Hey man, when Markov is healthy and on his game, there are few better.

But the fact is, he’s always hurt. It was wasted money.

Note: this doesn’t mean I hate the Habs, or Markov, or want Markov to go away, or whatever. Just that it would have been better to give Markov’s money to Wiz, because the Wiz actually plays.

• Habfan10912 says:

I was originally going to disagree with your comparing Wiz and Markov as being equally overpaid but after some consideration I tend to agree with you. Now if Wiz and Markov were healthy and performing as they’ve done in the past, Markov is a much better player then Wiz. But given their heath you make a valid observations. No extra thought needed for Kabs though.

———————————–

41. frontenac1 says:

When Subban winds up the guys in the press box duck.

42. Hobie Hansen says:

Good comment from TSN Poster:

What’s the difference between Commodore and Komisarek? Answer: $3.5 million dollars.

43. frontenac1 says:

@mark. I also liked that the Wiz would drop the mitts and could handle his dukes . But man, that was a lot of dough the Jackets coughed up.

44. longbow says:

Good news. The last time the Habs won the Cup I was living in Vancouver. Effective Feb 1st I will be transfered from our Regina office to the Richmond B.C. office. Start planning the parade route.

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

45. frontenac1 says:

@@geo. I believe MAB had a great shot too. Over to you Timo……..

• Timo says:

MAB should be a shoe in. I don’t understand WTF this management is thinking.

• Bripro says:

If you’re being sarcastic, you’re pretty damn efficient at it, because for as long as I’ve been on here, you’re the biggest (only) fan of MAB I know.
        The guy had a great shot, but he was brutal.
        So go ahead, laugh at me for eating up your sarcasm…. ;)

• geo_habsgo says:

lol Frontenac that is funny since I just wrote that I think I preferred Wiz over MAB. This isn’t a good moment for Timo.

46. Habfan10912 says:

The schedule looks like its strictly East vs East and West vs West. The breakdown looks like this.
    Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30)

47. geo_habsgo says:

I completely forgot about him but I totally miss having a guy like James Wisniewski on our team. His shot was so powerful and we definitely missed it on the powerplay last season. With him and Subban combined we were hard to read on the PP because we had a lot of options. We definitely need a cannon like him on this team again.

• shiram says:

Blue Jackets could possibly buy him out, he is their highest paid player afterall.

• mark-ID says:

I miss having a cannon on the powerplay big time. To me it isn’t Markov that is the key….it was having Markov but also having a powerful shot on the point. The years we led the league in PP%, we had these guys taking the shots:

Souray
      Wis
      Schneider
      Streit

• geo_habsgo says:

I completely agree! I have been thinking the same thing for a long time. Markov starts things off with smart, smooth passes but we need guys with fast, hard, and accurate shots to finish those off. Subban is an all rounder in this category as he cycles the puck well on the PP and has a nice shot. His problem is that it is pretty inaccurate actually.

• nunacanadien says:

Actually we don’t really have a player who can shoot the puck period. Subban is a great player but needs to work on his shooting skill. He’s got a decent slapshot, but clearly not a Souray. In fact we have no player on the team who can actually score. But then we don’t have a good defense either with this gang that we have now. So I feel sorry for Therrien who is supposed to be a defensive style coach.

• geo_habsgo says:

Out of curiosity, which team is your favourite because it certainly isn’t the Canadiens. Subban doesn’t have a huge shot but it is powerful enough to score on most goalies with regularity if he is able to make it more accurate. There are guys on here who can score like Pleks, MaxPac, Cole, Gio, even Eller if he’s given the shot. The team has a good nucleus they just need a system that will help the team shine.

• Mattyleg says:

He was handsome too…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

I’d rather have given Markov’s $$ to the Wiz (maybe not at that term, though. Although maybe…).

Markov should stay playing until the agreement is signed and besides, he needs the money to pay Quebec tax’s.

49. Cal says:

Cam Cole is a waste of writing space. He should crawl back into whatever hole he crawled out of.
    It’s bad enough he openly dislikes the Habs, but somehow the editor thinks his drivel is worth sharing with us. I have news for ya; it’s never worth it.

50. Shadows says:

The poll question is almost redundant… sign him of course. I’ve never understood the trade talk with our best D. As for Markov, not much of a controversy, just being loyal to his current team.

Is it training camp yet?

At least the dogs are playing tonight.

Oh, and happy to see Kovalev get a chance in Florida.

51. frontenac1 says:

The more I drink,the more nuna makes sense. Frightening,

• Cal says:

Sniff some glue simultaneously for the “nuna” effect. ;)

• twilighthours says:

I won’t stand for any ill words written about Nuna. He is one of the best things about this site.

Rock on, Nuna, rock on!

• nunacanadien says:

Hey look up the corporate register for those who actually own the habs. They all have Toronto based addresses including Mr. Geoff Molson in his capacity as Coors. In fact the habs are still owned by Toronto based investors, it was bad enough but really a group of wealthy Coors beer marketers got their day, they got even with Molson et al. and now their Toronto based representatives get their final payback for all the nasty way Laff fans are, screw the habs as best as they can through their management by committee. No wonder Markov doesn’t wanna come back so soon. What Russian player who worshiped the habs and learns through his agent that the habs are no longer the dream team they had, but really are owned by Laff fans. What a sad development. And we keep taking it on the chin. You think Coors is gonna own up that the worst American player in the NHL, Scott Gomez and his albatross contract, should be bought out? No, they want the habs to suck, that is why they keep handicapping us with these terrible contracts for players no one wants.

52. Bripro says:

I have to agree with Cam Cole.
    I don’t see Kovy staying behind to play in the KHL, and leaving $80MM on the table in N.J.

53. frontenac1 says:

@tom. Grooming advice? How about Bergevin and that silly hairdo? For Chri#t sakes! Sticking up like a sick porcupine.

54. Topham says:

Actually:

“Media creates controversy, by making stink about Markov in game”

should be the headline.

Topham
    Lions in Winter: http://www.lionsinwinter.ca

55. Psycho29 says:

I read the sad news below about Dominic Moore’s wife passing away. She had a rare form of liver cancer…

Dissappointed in (whomever chose this headline) to post this story under. That is complete BS that this is a controversy, I expect that reaction from some other media sources who closely follow the Habs.

Wake up and smell the coffee, until he is officially told NHL is back he is honouring a contract.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

+4033

• ZepFan2 says:

Don’t shoot the messenger, Burli. That’s basically Dave Stubbs headline Stu used.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

I am then dissappointed in Dave Stubbs. My apologies to Stu Cowan.

Edit: I don’t get it, Dave Stubbs always seems to write excellent fact based articles and gets to the bottom of the story. He seems to present to me the character of Markov better than others. Why go with a Tabloidish heading, when you are a beat reporter who needs the guys in the room to trust you. I know this isn’t a big deal, but Markov didn’t ask for these injuries and he didn’t put a gun to Montreal Mgmt for that contract. Yet he seems to get bad press even when if anything he is showing that he is ready to play some good hockey. Frustrating is all I guess…..

• ZepFan2 says:

Honestly, after reading the article. I think Stubbs was being sarcastic with his headline. Like Commandant posted below. Markov could start a controversy just getting out of bed to some people. The article itself dispels any controversy.

Also, Stubbs was getting a lot of feedback on twitter about Markov staying for one more game. So, that’s where I think the sarcasm is coming from. IMO

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

If indeed it was sarcastic, then I am sorry. As I said, I really liked the article Stubbs posted a few days ago stating Markov would play Tuesday. Which is why I was surprised to see the heading.

Thanks Zep!

Liked that video you posted with Gilmore in a Habs Shirt, awesome!

• ZepFan2 says:

Thanks, Burli.

I love the fact he was wering it and it wasn’t even in Montreal.

I commented on your Charlie Brown teacher video. Perfect fit for the resident troll.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

@Zep, how come you never told us you own Coors USA?

• ZepFan2 says:

@Burli.

Tax reasons.

Let’s keep it our secret, K.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“So look at me now I’m just makin’ my play
            Don’t try to push your luck just get out of my way” – AC/DC

Back in Black

• jedimyrmidon says:

Breaking news: Title for article adamantly dispelling any Markov controversy creates controversy.

57. Mike Bone says:

I don’t get the so-called controversy about Markov. The man made a commitment to play in Russia for the duration of the lockout. Until the new deal is ratified, the lockout is technically not over. I admire his forthrightness in the matter.

As for those who are afraid he’s tempting fate by playing one more KHL game, you can be sure if he’s meant to get hurt, it’ll happen. Whether it’s in a KHL game, a training camp scrimmage in Montreal or a Saturday night at the ACC in March. If he’s healthy and can avoid accidents, it won’t matter where he plays.

For those who dismiss his ability out of hand, you forget the skillset he brings. The guy’s an all-star and even if age or timing is slowing him down, he’s always played with his head more than brute strength or blazing speed. That’s the kind of skill that lasts. Markov will play this year and he’ll be an asset to the team. I’ve no doubt about that.

For the people who make up the polls on this page and suggest trading Subban or signing him, I ask respectfully, are you on crack?

58. Hobie Hansen says:

Sorry if this was mentioned already but I’ve been told Mike Commodore will be in camp?

I’ve seen about 5 Bulldogs games and he was injured or hadn’t arrived at that point.

Does this guy have anything left to offer an NHL club. Does he have a shot at the 6th spot on our blue line to add some size and toughness to a pretty small group?

• TomNickle says:

Grooming advice. And by that I mean with hair, not development.

• db says:

Unless Diaz, Kaberle or Weber grow or get mean then I think I’d prefer to have another cup winner on the roster. Diaz was just resigned, nobody will take Kaberle and I’m not sure how high Weber’s value is.. I believe he’s RFA this year.
      I’d rather see:
      PK – Gorges
      Markov – Emelin
      Bouillon/Commodore – Diaz

Weber and Kaberle just wouldn’t make my team but are good filler for injuries….

I’m kind of excited that we have a goalie that can play a solid 70 games, if he gets hot then this team could surprise. Anything can happen in a shorter season, I’m getting the hockey buzz again! (Which is tough since I live in Mexico..)

• commandant says:

Commodore has lost a step over the last 3 seasons or so. Watching him in the AHL, he’s too slow and a liablity for that league. I can’t see him as being useful in the NHL at this point.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

59. Habitant in Surrey says:

O My Gawd !!! …I just read the previous thread, Pat Hickey (and Stu Cowan) FINALLY awoke ! …there will be no more Hick’s Midnight Fantasies for Myself to wake-up to in the mornings

…WHAT??? In this World will I have to look forward to

…hmmm, o yeah …a REAL Habs vs Booins beat down …comin’ soon at the Bell Centre :)

…really, Hickey should, in His spare time, between cranking out upcoming game day columns, begin working on a compendium of His most exciting and riveting fantasies for We, the Great Unwashed, to buy for next Christmas gift stuffers

…in fact, I can’t wait for ‘Hick’s Midnight Fantasies: The Movie’ :)

…thank Gawd this lock-out is over !!!

I wonder if the teams will be doing player intros before the first home game. If I were the PR department I would say hold off on those for a while… Many people are still sour on both players and the league.

• Ron says:

No chance of that Timo, the Bell will be rocking on opening night. :D

• 44har48 says:

I am soooooooo bitter about this BS that went on for the 4th time in 20 yrs … am actuallly glad that a lot of people will not come back for some time to watch, especially here in the US, but I for one, will be watching the Habs first game intently and will be all giddy! I can’t help myself, it goes back to when I was 5 yrs old listening to them on AM the best I could 2 hours away here in the States.

61. Bripro says:

For anyone who saw the Alabama / Notre Dame romp last night, this tweet from Ted Bird:

“Just saw Brent Musburger and Fred Willard heading into a movie theatre.”

• jols101 says:

AK is a smart move. He still has a lot to give, especially if he learned something from the Nashville debacle last Spring. But Kovalev is a real stretch. At 39 years old those magical skills have diminished greatly and he was never a work horse by any stretch of the imagination. Think it is time for Kovy to hang em up.

• 44har48 says:

The thing I find hilarious about this, is that I strongly feel AK’s development was going along nicely and he would be a stud today if he didn’t get stuck playing with the enigmatic and lazy (late in his career) Kovalev during the most crucial part of his development period.

Most of AKs bad habits came as a result of playing with Kovalev.

• twilighthours says:

I think Kovalev was anything but lazy. I actually think he tried to do too much himself.

I understand that people may not agree with me, but I don’t really have the commitment to write a long argument about it.

62. TomNickle says:

“When the team or the league let me know the lockout is over I’ll pack a bag and fly to Montreal”(paraphrasing).

Yeah, lots of controversy there.

63. Bripro says:

Hey, I posted this on the last thread.
    Stubbs is stealing my thunder! Bugger….

64. jols101 says:

OV landed in Washington earlier this morning smiling ear to ear. For a guy who threatened to stay in Russia he didn’t waste any time coming back. I think his threats weren’t his own just like Crosby proclaiming he was going to Europe many times, just part of the song and dance. The faces of the NHL being used to turn up the heat during negotiations. OV wants to win the Stanley Cup more then anyone. The NHL would not be the same without him and all the other great players out of Russia and the rest of Europe. Welcome back and get this ratification done as quick as possible; it is time to drop the puck.

65. Luke says:

Damn Markov. Where does he get off honouring a contract?

No class with this guy.

66. 44har48 says:

Really struggling for time lately guys…have not been able to break down the new deal. I know there are other implications and I think teams get to do the amnesty buyouts over two years, but am I correct in understanding each team will get 2 amnesty buyouts that will not count against the cap (to aid in being in compliance with a new lower cap)? Not to be shortsighted and cut players without full long term and short term thinking, doesn’t this allow the Habs to buyout Gomez, and Kaberle without cap hits?

I am not even suggesting the Habs would rush out to spend that money, but they should free it up for flexibility. I’m tired of the moral and ethical thing to do with personel – we need to get rid of dead weight and start building a winner soonest.

67. bwoar says:

Markov has balls. Everyone else ran home to NA while he stuck to his guns and did what he thought was honorable. I respect his decision.

(He even joked about other players not having balls recently as they returned home, and this news makes that joke much more funny, and also serious.)

Some players don’t fall lockstep into what NHL fans think “NHL Players” should do. (In this case, immediately return to Bettman Central and get ready for the circus.) #79 is a hockey player first and foremost, and an NHLer second. He’s proven it time and again with this actions. Some folks take umbrage at that, and that’s fine, but I have more respect for the guy who acts on his conscience, and says to his detractors, “look at all the f—ks I give” (in the parlance of our times.)

I liked Kovalev for this reason; I liked Roy for this also. I happen to like Subban for it, though at times it’s over the top; I think it gets sadly crass with Erik Cole’s “Puck Bettman” hats but really it’s all part of the same thing – hockey players are grown men, professionals who choose how to live their lives & careers just the same as we choose to go to work in lockstep (or not), and our personal styles on the job.

So the guy wants to honour his KHL contract until NA training camp actually breaks? I mean, the league that did the dog for 4 months and is still dickering over the crumbs of what’s left?

That speaks well of Andrei Markov, not ill, in my opinion.

• 44har48 says:

Agree. NHL is just a Hockey League in the world like a bunch of others. So they tend to have most of the best talent in the world – when they are operating. They are still a league and the game of hockey is bigger than the National Hockey League. I think Markov and some others get that or believe it.

• nunacanadien says:

Markov is not worth the salt we spend sweating whether he’ll contribute only to watch him get injured. What a waste of a very talented player who can’t tough it out in the NHL but can manage to play for one of the KHL’s most physical teams. WTF is with all these habs who play elsewhere with heart but not here?

Maybe it is because they realize what a lie it is for the habs it is now to be an NHL team, never mind a contender.

That they are a team built by management by committee and that this committee which controls half of the actual team and the majority share in the entertainment part of Bell and therefore majority ownership, and which Molson is beholding to by contract himself…..it is no wonder that players in Montreal realize they are only wasting time on the habs. That a group of Toronto investors have managed to destroy the habs.

Why would a real superstar wanna come to play in Montreal with the marching orders of not winning? Which superstar and winner wants to do that?

Many superstars love the dynasty and they say that, but they stop there and stop at saying they would play in Montreal with the current ownership.

What have we as fans in Canada ever do to deserve these heartless investors who promise to give us exciting hockey only to sign lacklustre players in return?

68. 44har48 says:

Really??? Whats the controversy, I must have missed it. Until the NHL gets this deal in stone, he is free to fulfill his other obligations, and contracts. If our owner or any owner did not want these guys playing elsewhere, more effort should have been made to avoid a lockout. You can’t have it both ways, and he has to play in those games until this is official, period.

69. Habfan10912 says:

Just saw a report that Domenic Moore’s wife passed away after a long courageous battle against cancer. Damn cancer continues to take our loved ones away.

———————————–

70. Beaco says:

So is it wrong to love Bobby Orr while at the same time despising the Bruins?

71. kmachabs27 says:

Trade this effin bum, hes old, frail & injury prone, admit it people,he doesnt have it anymore.

• commandant says:

I think the headline should’ve been Markov creates controversy by waking up in the morning.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habfan10912 says:

Ben, I was going to ask what controversy? Haven’t heard one blip from anyone upset by this.

———————————–

• commandant says:

I was just responding to the poster above me. Who seems to have gone on a mini-rant at the mere mention of Markov’s name. As his post and the story had little in common.

Hence it would be a controversy with this guy, no matter Markov does. Just the mere mention of Markov was worthy of a rant to trade the bum.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ron says:

Someone on twitter questioned Dave about taking the added risk on playing Tuesdays game and having a possible injury. I liked Dave’s response at the time and he has put that on this thread. I don’t think it creates a controversy but I think in reality Dave is showing us the real character guy that Markov is.

But then why the heading? Why not rather as a member of the media, use a headline that extolls Markov for his character. Seems like on one hand a compliment, and the other rather tabloidish.

• Ron says:

Burly, I see the origional tweet by Dave earlier today appears to have been deleted by him. That is where I got the info to make my comment you speak of. Not sure why the tablodish headline as you describe it.

• Beaco says:

I figure if he’s 50% of what he was pre-injury, play out the deal and he functins as a bridge to the youth brigade.

All the best bud, I’m going through tough times with my dog as well, not easy.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Dominic Moore and the entire family very tragic indeed.

73. Habfan10912 says:

Ditto Burly’s sentiments. The love we feel for our companions is the same regardless if they are human or other. Positive thoughts your way.

———————————–

74. Bripro says:

Habs and Burly.
    My heart goes out to you as well.
    Our Maggie (15-year old Lab) has tumours everywhere.
    She also has hip displacia, and I believe she’s losing her cognitive skills.
    So sad. She’s been in our family since my kids were tikes.
    She used to be the fastest dog in the area. Now she sits and watches the other dogs run amok, and every time she tries to pursue them, she falls. So I hear you.
    If it was my wife’s cat, on the other hand….

75. Bripro says:

I think they’re both great pick ups, if their contracts are reasonable.
    I agree with jols that AK has a lot to offer.
    The hate for him on this site, I never really understood.
    As for Kovi, if you can pair the two of them together, remember when the played with Pleks? They were great together.
    They might be past the 1st or 2nd line levels now, but they’ll be dynamite together.
    I’d sign them on our 4th line in a heartbeat.

76. jols101 says:

And I hope you and Habsolutely are correct. I loved watching Kovy with those magical hands on the Habs PP. I just know time stands still for no one and I fear the magic has withered. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

77. nunacanadien says:

It would be interesting to see how Therrien uses Markov, although instead of buying out Markov, you never know if Bergevin would instead buyout Markov based on his physical condition and propensity to get injured at the worst of times.