Marking the 27th anniversary of Habs’ 23rd Stanley Cup

Friday, May 24 marks the 27th anniversary of the Canadiens’ 1986 Stanley Cup victory when they defeated the Calgary Flames 4-3 to win the final series in five games.

Rookie goalie Patrick Roy, at age 20, became the youngest player ever to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP as the Habs won the 23rd Cup in franchise history.

“A bonus,” Roy told reporters after the game. “It’s nothing more than that.”

“You could take a whole bunch of names on this team, throw them into a hat, pick out one, and he’d be just as worthy of the Smythe Trophy as I was. Maybe more.

“We all know that the Stanley Cup is a team award,” Roy added. “The Smythe is no different. Right now, I’m sitting here in the dressing room and watching all of the other guys on the team and I’ll bet I can pick out a lot of them who could have his name on this trophy.”

Roy, who had 23-18-3 record with a 3.45 goals-against average in 47 regular-season games, went 15-5 in the playoffs with a 1.92 GAA.

To see the 1985-86 Habs roster and photos, click here.

Below is the story that appeared in The Gazette following the Canadiens’ 23rd Stanley Cup championship:

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Les Canadiens sont la – again!

RED FISHER
GAZETTE SPORTS EDITOR

Coach Jean Perron says his 1986 Stanley Cup champions are the best defensive team in Canadiens history.

“We won the Stanley Cup without snipers,” he said in the wild, noisy moments after the Canadiens had won their 23rd Stanley Cup with a tight-collar 4-3 victory over the Calgary Flames.

“When you don’t have great goal-scorers, you’ve got to be great defensively. When we hang up that banner in the Forum, it will be screaming ‘defence . . . defence’.

“I really believe this is the best defensive team in Canadiens history. We were great defensively all through the playoffs – except in the last few minutes of this game. Now that it’s over, I can live with that.”

Defence?

For starters, the name is Patrick Roy, who won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player in the playoffs to go along with his Stanley Cup.

One reason Roy has that trophy is the stop he made with 14 seconds remaining in the game after the Flames had rallied furiously and bravely for two goals with time running out.

“Patrick Roy,” Canadiens defenceman Chris Chelios was to mention, “made the biggest play of his life.”

What Chelios was trying to say above the terrible din in the winners’ locker room was that Roy’s save was the stop of the season in a game the Canadiens seemed about to win handily – before they almost lost it.

A little beyond the halfway mark of the third period, the Canadiens were congratulating each other on the bench with a 4-1 lead. Gaston Gingras had scored on a power play in the first period, Brian Skrudland had provided the Canadiens with a 2-1 lead midway through the second, and goals by Rick Green and Bobby Smith within 19 seconds in the third period appeared to have left the Flames dead in the water.

Steve Bozek, who had scored the first Calgary goal in the second period, scored again at the 16.46 mark of the final period. Then Joe Mullen scored with 46 seconds remaining in the game – with Calgary’s Mike Vernon out of the net.

Now time was running out in Game 5 and the series, and well, listen to 20-year-old Roy:

“The Flames were all around the net, and I had made the first save on Mullen, but the rebound went to (Jamie) Macoun, who was right beside me. I made the split and got my pad on his shot and then covered the puck with my glove.

“I was really lucky on that play, but you make your own luck, eh?”

“I was going nuts,” said Chelios. “We panicked a little at the end, but right now I don’t care about anything because we won.

“Roy,” he muttered, “Patrick Roy. Whew!”

The series, won by the Canadiens with four consecutive victories after they lost the opening game of the best-of-seven round 5-2, clearly belonged to the rookie goaltender. It also belonged to other young bloods such as Claude Lemieux, whose 10 goals in the playoffs included four game-winners. But more than anything, it may have belonged to some of the fine, old wine associated with the team.

“You can talk all you want about rookies and the job they did,” said Bobby Smith, “but where would we have been without two of the best leaders I’ve ever seen – Bob Gainey and Larry Robinson?

“Here are two guys who never let any of us play anything less than our best. I’d watch those two line up during the national anthem, and I’d promise myself to play the best I possibly could.”

Smith’s views were echoed by coach Perron.

“I don’t think we’d be anywhere without the leadership of Gainey and Robinson. I can’t begin to tell you how great they were. You can’t get anywhere unless you get leadership like that. It’s what you need desperately when you have so many youngsters on your team.”

Not surprisingly, Gainey and Robinson represent defence at its finest – a quality coach Perron has been stressing from the start of the playoffs.

What, then, happened in the final few minutes when the Flames came within a hair of sending the game into overtime?

“Remember the timeout I called?” asked Perron. “I told the players on our bench what I wanted them to do. We were ahead by two goals and there wasn’t much more than a minute left. I felt we were in good shape.”

Thirty seconds after the Canadiens’ timeout, Mullen beat Roy with a short shot from the slot.

Thirty-seconds later . . . Patrick Roy! Whew!

“I wasn’t on the ice when Roy made that save,” grinned Smith. “When he made it, I was on my feet yelling: ‘Roo-ah! Roo-ah!’ This smile, is going to stay on my face until next September.”

“What a thrill,” exulted Canadiens president Ronald Corey. “I nearly died at the end. I was behind the bench when it was 4-2, and when they scored their third goal, I just ran out of there. When I saw the stop Roy made with 14 seconds left, my heart almost stopped.

“If they had tied the game, it could have been the series. Who knows? But now that it’s over, I can’t be happier. There are a lot of people to thank on this team. “I also have to thank Irving (former general manager Irving Grundman) and Ron Caron. They were responsible for a lot of those players being on this team.”

One is defenceman Green, acquired by Grundman in a controversial deal which sent Rod Langway, Brian Engblom, Craig Laughlin and Doug Jarvis to the Washington Capitals for Green and Ryan Walter.

Green’s spectacular goal midway through the third period came after he out-foxed Mullen abut 10 feet inside the Calgary blueline. From there, he beat Vernon with a rising shot, which provided the Canadiens with a 3-1 margin.

Only 19 seconds later, and before the Flames had recovered from the Green goal, Smith beat Vernon from the same area. As it developed, as much as the Canadiens welcomed the Green goal, they needed Smith’s to win the game and the series.

“We needed a lot of things to go our way if we were going to win,” said Mats Naslund. “Everybody knows we had a lot of problems during the regular season, and while we were having those problems, anybody who said we’d win the Stanley Cup had to be out of his mind.

“There were a lot of things wrong with us. Goaltending was one of them, and there were a lot of little things. But when things started to fall into place, we felt we had a chance. We had the feeling we could beat the teams we faced, and this,” he said with a wave of his hand at the celebrations taking place around him, “is the payoff.”

It is quite a payoff.

1. L Elle says:

Moved, new thread

2. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I hope Hab fans bookmark and archive all the footage of those old Cup wins off YouTube. There will never be another Cup win as long as that sieve Price is in net and it looks like mgmt. is ’150%’ behind him. Vokoun is the backup for the Pens for crying out loud and Price isn’t fit to carry his jock strap. The goalies in the 2nd round are putting on a clinic which I hope Price is watching but he really doesn’t care. Someone needs to tell him that you don’t need to be 30 to mature as a goalie; Roy was 20, Brodeur was 23, Ward was 22, Dryden and Fleury 24 when they won the Cup in spectacular fashion. Hey Bergevin, how many duds and floaters like DD and Gorges, Pleks, Diaz etc. do you see on these contending teams. Way to go signing more small players who will eat up cap space, help in the regular season and be utterly useless in the playoffs. Look at Detroit. You need scouts like the Red Wings have to put together a team of skilled Europeans that can perform in the post-season. As long as Timmins is there, the Habs will never get close to a Cup. It all starts with the goalie. Howard has been brilliant as have the other stoppers in the league. Hab fans can keep on dreaming and discussing line combos forever because this team and mgmt. haven’t got the’ right stuff’ to win a Cup. I feel bad for the young studs like Galchy, Gally, Subban, Prust etc. who will never touch the Cup while playing there. I love the franchise of the Habs but this team and mgmt. are clueless losers. How sad that a great franchise has been infected with this bunch who don’t have the courage to make bold decisions. Where would the Pens be if Bylsma decided to stick with Fleury like Therrien did with Price? Budaj was horrible but by then it was all over. Please, M. Molson get rid of Timmins and re-think Therrien and Price and Plekanec and DD and Gio. You are the owner of this great franchise and this team is not fit even to make the playoffs next year. Hate me if you want but face reality, you fans. This Habs team couldn’t beat or skate with any of the 8 teams in Round 2 and they never will.

3. Habfan10912 says:

And speaking of weak American franchises, Darren Dreger just tweeted: “NHL confirms “agreement” with Gosbee to purchase Coyotes, but says a number of issues still have to be resolved before done deal.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ah, yes, Darren Dreger, the official spokesman of the NHL. Trusted insider, he is.

I remember Gary Bettman having a press conference, a couple years back, might have been during the playoffs, that officially announced that the Phoenix Coyotes…

were the subject of interest from some carpetbagger…

if only some minor details were taken care of…

like ensuring that the good people of Glendale paid him to keep the franchise there…

and, oh, if the banks would just lend him a whole pile of money, at advantageous rates, that would be key, for him and all of his deep-pocketed partners.

———————————————————————–

• HabFab says:

I have given up counting these “agreements”.

4. Habfan10912 says:

Speaking of American cities where water doesn’t freeze in the winter, here is the new Dallas Stars emblem.

5. Hobie Hansen says:

It’s simply incredible, not in a good way, that there has been no Stanley Cup raised on Canadian soil, by a Canadian team, in 20 years.

I was 17-years-old when the Habs won in 1993 and looking back, I totally took it for granted. I would have never guessed, while walking down St. Catherines ST, the night they won the cup, hooting and hollering, drinking underage with a fake ID, back then there was no picture ID, that not just the Canadiens, but no Canadian team would win the cup for at least another 20 years.

I just assumed that the next season the Habs might get bounced in the 2nd round, then maybe the 1st the following year and then be back in the finals shortly down the road. It was just the way it was back then.

Outside of Montreal, I would probably have been close to slitting my wrists if I were a Flames fan, over the past decade. Not only is the team in shambles now but they literally should have been the Cup champions eight or nine years ago. They scored a goal, in game six of the finals, I think, that would have put the game out of reach for TB. Calgary would have won the cup right then and there! Unfortunately, it was missed by the officials and only after the game, which TB won in OT, it was discovered that the puck crossed the line. TB went onto win the series in game seven the following game. CAN YOU IMAGINE!

It’s pretty sad that there’s millions of young people under the age of 25 or even 30, that have no recollection or have never experienced a Canadian team winning the Stanley Cup.

I could never cheer for Toronto, Ottawa or Vancouver…YUCK, but aside from the Habs, if Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg ever make it to the finals and win, I’d probably jump on a flight and enjoy the celebration because there is a very real chance that the Habs won’t win the cup again in my lifetime (I’m 37) and by the way things are going, a Canadian team might only win it once or twice.

Very sad!

6. JF says:

That series unfolded for Ottawa pretty much the way our series against them unfolded for us: their special teams faltered, their scoring pretty much dried up, and their goaltending was outstanding in a couple of the games, less so in others. Exactly what happened to us – plus, of course, the injuries and the bad calls against us. Makes me think that we could have beaten them if we’d been healthy.

• Mavid says:

I have no doubt..plus that disaster of a game..were we were jipped..

• Habfan10912 says:

I watch the Bruins, Pens, and Kings play and see the ease their players get to good scoring areas and how they seem to be able to keep their opponents out of them. To me, outside of being out goalied, that was the biggest issue the Hab’s had against the Sens. Certainly the Emelin injury may have helped on the defensive side but IMHO it is the biggest weakness the club has going forward.

• JF says:

Agreed. Our defence couldn’t clear the front of the net and our forwards were mostly unable or unwilling to establish a presence in front of the Senators’ net. The only player who went there consistently and was willing to battle it out was Brendan Gallagher. Rene Bourque sometimes. The others were mostly content to take shots from the outside, usually into Anderson’s mid-section, making him look great. This was also our undoing a few years ago against the Flyers. Michael Leighton incredibly had three shutouts in that series.

• The way the Canadiens were playing up until April 12th, I have no doubt we could have made it to the ECF.

SO many things went wrong after that, oh well, another season will still come.

Should be a fun draft.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31

7. boing007 says:

@Timo

It was impossible to hear exactly what’s his name had to say, he was so busy licking the egg off his face.

goo goo goo joob

Richard R

8. Maritime Ron says:

Looking at that 1986 Cup team, and while far from a classic version of the “Flying Frenchmen,” there were still 9 local Quebec boys on that team:

Patrick Roy, Claude Lemieux, Guy Carbonneau, Mario Tremblay, Stephane Richer, Deblois, Gingras, Mommesso, and even Steve Penney was born in Quebec.
    And of course no team is complete without some solid Maritime presence and character in the likes of Bobby Smith and Mike McPhee that year :-)

Today’s team has what can best be described as a token local presence in Desharnais, the adopted New York born Francis Bouillon, and maybe another small 4th liner in Gaby Dumont.
    That’s it – with only marginal home growns in the prospect pipeline that will never be Top 6.

While there would never ever be any cooperation from Bettman, Canadian teams – and especially the Habs, should be allowed somehow to increase its local content by some type of formula.

It is no secret that the Canadian based teams (along with New York-Chicago-Boston + a few others) are responsible for the overall financial health of the NHL – only one aspect being via Revenue Sharing, yet we receive NO privilege in return for that.

We financially prop up franchises while they tank for several consecutive years, then their rewards are having access to the best NHL players via the high draft picks.
    With the exception of the badly run Oilers, Canadian teams don’t have the luxury of hanging at the bottom or being Cap Bottom Feeders for years on end.

The whole formula seems unfair to Canadian teams.
    The proof is that we have only had 4 chances at the Cup since 1993 with zero wins

The suggestion from here would be every 2 years to allow Canadian teams to protect a local born player before the draft. Habs choose the best Quebec born. Toronto and Ottawa the 2 best Ontario born and so on. A Saskatchewan born player could be considered Western while an Atlantic Provinces player could be considered part of the Ontario/Quebec crop.

I am tired seeing our best Canadian born prospects being drafted by lousy run American orgs. and playing in markets where the water doesn’t freeze in the winter and NHL hockey is low on the sports pecking order.

How good would Jonathan Drouin look in a Habs uniform and we wouldn’t even have to tank out to get him? Or a MacKinnon?

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ron. Talk about thinking outside the box? As a Hab fan I’d fully endorse this idea but I can just see the Jacob/Bettman run league laughing at whoever would bring this idea forward.
      You conjured up thoughts of the pride of my early days as a fan rooting for a team who connected directly to my heritage. It gave me a certain sense of pride to see French Canadian athletes play for the team I root for. It made it seem perfect.
      Today? I still love my Hab’s as much as ever and I don’t care what the name of the back of the jersey says or what ethnicity they may be as long as they can play. Funny how time changes attitudes, eh?

• Maritime Ron says:

Good Morning Jim,

Granted, the good ole days are long past. Today, just slightly over 50% of this year’s NHL players were Canadian born.
        It’s still more fun watching a few locals play for the team and that goes for any Pro Sport.

• wjc says:

You cannot go back to the old ‘system’. One team cannot have special privledges. The only fair way to do it is a ‘universal draft’ in a specific order.

The NHL is made up of 30 teams and last time they added it all up, they were a 3.3 billion dollar revenue making machine.

In order to make that kind of money you need all teams, building interest in North America, not just small regions.

To say that teams ‘tank’ on purpose is not exactly true. Teams go with young players and pick up high draft choices. Montreal/Toronto do not have the fan base with the patience to go this route, it is all about winning NOW!
      Leafs can miss the playoffs several years in a row and still make the most money of any NHL team, go figure.

Edmonton will be a power house one day, you will see. There is so much money to be made in Toronto/Montreal as examples that making the playoffs is considered good enough.

Do you think owners in American cities are going to tolerate preferencial treatment given to original six teams.

The NHL is a big time business, that is about creating revenue streams
      Molson realizes his part in the scheme of things and as long as his profits and revenue streams continue he is happy.

One side note, the Stanley cup finals are shared by all teams even thoughs out of the playoffs. So Molson makes money even if his team does not make the big dance.

wjc

• Maritime Ron says:

Interesting

You say, ” One team cannot have special privileges” yet you neatly side step the special privileges American teams receive through massive transfers of Revenue Sharing and some know how to play that game very well.

You may also want to brush up on the facts concerning playoff revenue sharing and where the 50% NHL take goes.
        If you believe Molson and MSLE benefit….

As for choosing a local home grown product every 2 years, I don’t at all see that as being destructive. As a matter of fact, it may also increase revenues via different streams which would only help the overall business model

• malmn says:

I totally agree.

I wonder how come American/Canadian labour laws allow for this? I mean in some way Canadians are going down south and “stealing” American jobs. Let Americans fill out their rosters and Canadians fill out Canadian rosters.

GO HABS GO!!!

• Maritime Ron says:

Good Morning

Perhaps not to that total extent, yet certainly recently it is quite amazing how work visas are so easily available to foreign born pro hockey players playing in the USA

• B says:

There are only 48 players born in Quebec who played an NHL game this season (9 of them didn’t play a double digit number of games and only 28 of them are over 6′ tall). That makes for an average of 1.6 Quebecers per team.

Audy-Marchessault, Barberio, Beauchemin, Begin, Belanger, Bergeron x2, Bernier, Blanchard, Bolduc, Bordeleau, Bouchard, Bourque (Gabriel-not Rene), Brassard, Briere, Burrows, Caron, Chiasson, Demers, Desharnais, Despres, Dumont, Dupuis, Gagne, Gervais, Gragnani, Huberdeau, Labrie, Latendresse, Lecavalier, Letang, Lombardi, Mitchell, Parenteau, Perreault, Perron, Pominville, Ribeiro, Robidas, Roy, Savard, Scandella, St.Louis, Stastny, Talbot, Tanguay, Vermette and Vlassic.

–Go Habs Go!–

9. NCRhabsfan says:

You can bet Mr. Bettman is celebrating tonight; his favourite night of the year is when all the Canadian teams have been eliminated. He’s had a perfect run since 1993 and now it won’t change in 2013.

Never in the history of human endeavour has one small man done so little for so many for one sport….

10. Propwash says:

Sens fans can’t brag, they went down in 5 games too.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

11. Propwash says:

Most anything that I saw that went by Anderson was top shelf.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Captain aHab says:

Which is pretty much normal for a butterfly style goalie.
      —————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

12. This Guy says:

Well great, we have to stare at 6-1 all summer, while Sens fans get to stare at 6-2. Just great.

13. Chuck says:

Walla Walla.

__________________________________________________
    Anyone but the Sens! And Boston. Oh, and the Laffs, too.

14. Gally365 says:

No Team is unbeatable but I think The PENS is gonna be going to the big dance ….

15. frontenac1 says:

@jc. I’m with you amigo. Boring technical defence hockey. Gimme the old Habs/Nords bench clearing brawls any day. Passion,hatred,blood and mayhem.

16. frontenac1 says:

Au contraire timo.Hull had some nice Toppless bars.

17. Bill says:

Hey Timo, Subban and Galchenyuk can pick a corner. Lets get more guys like them.

18. HNS says:

Sens are like the Greg Norman of hockey. An epic choke is inevitable.

19. HNS says:

Habs do it the best. Make a mediocre goalie look like god.

And I gotta say… a GM that can have that much talent in the lineup without breaking the cap and without jeopardizing “the future” is a good GM. Perhaps Bergevin could take some queues from Pitts or Chicago or Detroit, instead of saving precious 3rd and 4th round picks and wasting a 5th on a deadbeat Drewiske.

• This Guy says:

With Crosby and Malkin locked in the lineup from sucking in the mid 00′s, Shero can sell his team’s entire future, because it will take care of itself.

Did MacLean have anything smart or smirky to say? buh-bye senaturds. Effing hate that team. Can’t believe Habs couldn’t beat that shitty defense.

22. WhatUp says:

man oh man does 1986 seem far away…couldn’t agree more on the Habs respectability over the years. as much as I like them they’ve had a few good sparks but really qualify as average at best over the last 20 years…i think and hope that MB stays on course and is patient but man does it hurt year after year not watching my team involved in this level of intensity….some candy a few years back with Halak but not much before or after

23. jphk says:

Very happy the Sens are done. Will never cheered for a team that kicks us out. Pens_Bruins should be more interesting. I don’t think Vokoun can get away with these rebounds against the Bruins.

24. Small_Town_Boy says:

Habs made that seive Anderson look great. Throw up in my mouth …

Dat’s wha me tinks

25. habstrinifan says:

The most beautiful and TELLING thing about this series… MacClean mouth was shut closed.

And I say this no only to show that the SENS can be put into their place but to bring it to the attention of HABS land… our team… our entire organization… has to turn a corner. There was one time the HABS were respectedpeople just didnt treat the HABS the way they do now… and that has to be corrected.

Hope the lesson is learnt. Get this team back on track!

• wjc says:

You all started out all ‘wishy washy’ about Ottawa and now you hate them. This is what the NHL wants, fans that hate another team, another rivalry. Rivalries are money in the till, ching, ching. That is what they want in L.A. and San Jose and other places you have never been.

Rivalries and hatred….are ching, ching.

wjc

26. Mavid says:

so glad that is finally done..

Goalie tandems are so over-rated.

What a balls against the wall move to sign Vokoun. Steel balls against the wall to play him in lieu of Fleury, who is still a deal at a 5M$ cap hit, and has won a Cup.

Habs must draft at least one goalie this upcoming draft.

28. The Jackal says:

Can someone enlighten me and tell me how Pittsburgh pulled of a trade to get James Neal for….. not much at all??

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

29. frontenac1 says:

Alfie. Class act all the way. Love the guy.

30. Sportfan says:

Bruins should be scared crapless! I hope the Pens go all the way at this point! Win it for Iggy!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• EricInStL says:

I really don’t think Boston is scared of Pittsburgh, both teams go 4 lines deep. Both teams are the same in the nets, the D is the same but Pitts has more offensive diversity.

If Boston don’t give up too many power plays they can hang with them.

• jctremblay says:

Errrr…dont think so there sport, Bruins will crash the crease unlike the relatively passive Sens. I am still picking the Pens but I believe they will pay a huge price physically against the resurgent Bruins. Lucic came to play, unlike the regular season and that makes them a total bit ch to play against

• wjc says:

“scared crapless’….no clue, no clue….Bruins have already had a successful, profitable season and if Pittsburgh beats them…what are you gonna do. Players will celebrate a good run into the playoffs.

Only one team can win, and as long as you play hard and leave it on the ice, no one is worried.

Ottawa as an example went from non playoff team to second round…..success and Ottawa’s colourful coach is now a media legend. With the big mustache and his insights…..job well done.

wjc

31. The Jackal says:

Is it safe to say the pens have not been tested yet?
    Boston will be a big challenge for them

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

32. Sportfan says:

Golf Sens Golf?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

33. frontenac1 says:

Cherry is off his rocker but damnit ,I like him.

34. frontenac1 says:

My best time in Ottawa was when I went to Hull!

35. D Mex says:

3 – 0 … beee-yew-teee !
    Wonder if Maclean remembers the name of his goaltender.
    The same goaltender, BTW, hailed by Boone as an ” MVP “.
    pfft …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I don’t like Ottawa at all either but if Ottawa wins than Montreal moves up 1 spot in the draft. Obviously it isn’t gonna happen but I could live with it for a higher draft spot.

• D Mex says:

The Ottawa franchise actually reminds me of milk toast – no real flavour … but if it could help the Habs, what’s to discuss ?
        LOL :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

What would really bother me is Ottawa drafting 1 spot ahead of Montreal, taking Morin, and he spends the next 15 years flattening Habs when they skate down the wing. Perhaps I am over thinking this.

• Mavid says:

HA milk toast..my mom used to say that..when people were boring or plain..just like milk toast..man I miss her

36. Bill says:

Yeah, Anderson is amazing.

Full Breezer 4 Life

37. The Jackal says:

Pens better not get cocky and fall asleep like in game 3.
    Wrap it up tonight, maybe kick another puck in the net for good measure.

Edit: pretty awesome goal by Letang. That was Subbanesque!
    ______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

38. Un Canadien errant says:

Earlier on, I posted this link

and gave crediit to Michael Farber as the author. I just noticed it’s actually E.M. Swift who wrote it. I had Googled for a specific article from Michael Farber and couldn’t find it, but this one came up, and I assumed it was by him.

Still worth a read, for those who remember that ‘surprise’ Cup, and for you youngsters who don’t. There’s some cool history in there, a lot of names you’ll recognize, some you’ll have to look up on hockeydb.com.

As Roy raised his arms in triumph, his teammates hugged and back-slapped and carried on like a bunch of kids, which, save for two old and estimable war-horses, they pretty much are.

Eight rookies, not counting first-year coach Jean Perron, led the Canadiens past the plucky Rangers, who managed to put only nine goals behind Roy in the five-game wipeout. “It’s impossible to win here for some reason,” said Ranger forward Pierre Larouche, a former Canadien who, with just two assists, was a virtual no-show in the series. “It was like they had more than five men on the ice. It must be the ghosts of the Rocket and Lafleur.”

More like the ghosts of Larry Robinson, 34, and Bob Gainey, 32, who have been skating as they did in their prime—which in Robinson’s case was at least five seasons ago. The only two holdovers from the powerhouse Canadiens teams that won four straight Stanley Cups from 1975 to 1979 ( Mario Tremblay would have been a third, but he has missed the playoffs with a broken collarbone), Robinson and Gainey have waged a two-man assault on the notion that post-30 in the NHL means postmortem. “It makes you proud to come this far with eight rookies,” says Montreal G.M. Serge Savard, whose draft choices of the past three years—Roy, Claude Lemieux (he of the two overtime goals, including the seventh-game winner to beat the Whalers) and Stephane Richer—are suddenly bearing fruit. “But the veterans are the ones who have carried the club. When the rookies see Robinson and Gainey giving all that they have at their age, they think, ‘Yes, I can, too.’ “

———————————————————————–

39. Bill says:

“Probably not”

Full Breezer 4 Life

40. Adidess says:

No interference tonight, I guess…

41. 1010 says:

Ottawa fans are complaining and Cherry shows `em the goal against the Habs. Hahaha.

GO HABS…

• Marc10 says:

Heck, they could replay the Sens’ 2 regulation time ‘goals’ and the blown icings… and the faceoff on the wrong side. That entire last 10 mins. It was like a donation to endangered walrus society…

So yes, suck it Ottawa (and thanks Don for piling on!)

42. habstrinifan says:

So who should be fired first, the pompous John Gibbons or
    Alex Anthopoulos who built a good baseball team and hired a JM think alike.

43. Steven says:

Based on his tweets, I’m starting to worry Dave is a Sens fan :P

44. commandant says:

Suck it Ottawa, Karma is a B!

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

45. Adidess says:

Ha! I wanna see if Sens fans will complain if this goal counts.

46. Marc10 says:

So depressing to think about it… 86 was such a great run. And that team essentially became the 89 juggernaut (who sadly were only bested by one other team in the league…)

Those teams were built for the post season. Why we haven’t stuck to the blueprint is beyond me. Big, strong, fast… Oh yeah, and it helped that we had a Hall of Famer in goal and a fricken wall on D.

47. Kimberly2u says:

Go pens…finish off the turds

48. HabFab says:

2013 Draft Combine list of Invitees;

Six of these should soon be Hab prospects.

49. Mavid says:

GO PENS GO

50. Mavid says:

no baby yet..she is has not even started to dilate..so it won’t be in the next couple of days **sigh**

51. Un Canadien errant says:

Moderators, site administrators, I just spent about twenty minutes putting together a post that I thought some members would enjoy, and I hit ‘Submit Comments’ and it disappeared. Frustrating. Poof. Gone.

Unfortunately it’s a semi-regular occurrence. Very annoying. It’s a strong disincentive to come on here and participate.

If you can find in the cracks of the server somewhere and can put it up that would be appreciated.

———————————————————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

Has happened to me as well, so I just copy and paste from saved word document. Anything over 27 words. Things like WooooooooHooooooo! I usually type in the small window, and hope my WooooooooHooooooo! gets throooooooooooo!

• Psycho29 says:

its happened to me a lot….it got to the point that I would copy my post just before hitting ‘send’…..then I’d have to paste it again and slightly modify it because if I didn’t the site would say it’s a duplicate comment.
      Signing out and logging back in seems to work sometimes, so does deleting cookies. (might be a coincidence)…
      Still more annoying than Brad Marchand at a family gathering…

• JohnBellyful says:

Wait a minute, are you saying Marchand’s part of your family?
        Gawd, it’s bad enough to watch him play hockey, what’s it like to watch him eat corn on the cob?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks guys, and I know those tricks, but sometimes I’m on here and dash off something and hit send and forget to backup my work. I should know better, but have to relearn the bitter lesson every month it seems.

Save your work? Backup copies? What is this, 1987? Am I back at Concordia, hunched over a station hooked up to the Vax server?

———————————————————————–

• Word Perfect all the way! Something funky going on with word press though…..

OK who is coming with me to watch my little girl dance tonight? Hip Hop and Jazz, only six hours long to watch her 9 minutes of dance…..:) Guess I will PVR the Pens Game, I don’t want to miss the final chapter to the Sens season. Hope Crosby scores a Hatty!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31

52. The Jackal says:

@UCE – very awesome story. I kept thinking the girl would end up your wife or something in the end haha. Cheers!

• Un Canadien errant says:

That would have been awesome, but if it was a movie no one would believe it. In any case, the Ritz Carlton was a target-rich environment, so we didn’t suffer. Maybe I was too unfocused, chasing too many rabbits, if I’d applied myself maybe I could have won her heart.

Oh, who’m I kidding…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sylvain, one of the guys I hung out with at the Ritz, worked mini-bar, played on the hotel softball and hockey team, great guy, had a classic line one day in the staff caf precisely on such matters. He was just back from Canton, Ohio, where he’d attended the NFL Hall of Fame game, and he was telling a group of us an elaborate story about how they’d met these girls in the stands, and he was going into intricate details, and when the story seemed like it wasn’t going anywhere, Stéphane (Houseman, hockey and softball too) piped up and asked:

“So anyway, your story, how did it end?”

“Comme d’habitude,” Sylvain replied, (“Like always”), without a trace of irony or self-deprecation, completely at peace that that was the just outcome, and resumed his tale midstream, with relish and gusto, of how it took him eight hours to, inevitably, strike out. So awesome.

We may not have put the puck in the net too often, but we never stopped working and hustling and mucking and grinding and working some more. Don Cherry would have loved us.

• The Jackal says:

Haha, sounds like you had some good times as a student… I can relate. Man, those days go by fast. I’m still quite in my youth so I’m not looking back on the glory days like Bruce Springsteen would call ‘em, but time flies, I can’t believe how fast sometimes.

I’m just hoping to be able to enjoy a parade or 2 while I can still drink like an undergrad!

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

53. Un Canadien errant says:

On the 1986 roster, there are quite a few players I’d love to have on today’s team, but if I can’t be Captain Obvious and just take the stars, the following players would serve us well.

Dave Maley He played like we wish Travis Moen had played this season.

Mike Lalor He was the #6 defenceman who took care of things in his own end, tough, reliable.

Mike McPhee The Canadiens were never intimidated with this guy on the ice. Tougher than most heavyweights, but he didn’t fight constantly, since he was a good hockey player who could score goals. Kind of like Wayne Simmonds, but Mike was actually a gentlemanly, respectful player, not a jerk like the Flyer.

Kent Carlson Was the tough take-on-anybody defenceman that those who want to trucculate are pining for, like Deryk Engelland or John Erskine. (http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2012/06/is-jared-tinordi-next-canadiens.html)

And if I’m going to cheat, and grab a star but still not go too obvious with Hall of Famer Larry Robinson, or fan favourite Chris Nilan (Chris Neil, meet our player #30), or Bobby Smith, the 6’4″ point per game centre, I’d grab

Stéphane Richer How good was he when he was on, flying down the right wing and blasting away with the lethal slap shot? Where had we seen this before? Although I wonder how, if he had trouble dealing with the pressure of playing in Montréal then, how he’d have fared now in the age of Twitter, when any know it all can start up a blog and rant? (http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2012/02/stephane-richer.html)

54. Sportfan says:

So what did you guys think of Alfies comments?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• johnnylarue says:

I think Alfie’s feeling old and tired and probably let frustration get the better of him. Forgot protocol, etc.

And to use a popular expression, he was “only saying what everyone else was thinking!”

• JohnBellyful says:

It’s the comments he made the next day that bugged me, when he attributed the controversy to his comments being taken out of context — even though it was pretty clear from the clip what he was being asked and what his answer was. On the believability scale he scored a 11 out of 100.

• Mavid says:

oh its a big stink here in YOW..must be a slow news day..honestly what is the big deal..I am no Alfie fan but give the guy a break..well you know YOW was voted the most boring city..I guess its some excitement.

• habstrinifan says:

I saw nothing wrong in them. Alfie leaves it all on the ice. Unlike Gorges whose comments are more in keeping with the ‘good athlete’ and never matches that level on the ice.

55. Un Canadien errant says:

Michael Farber was a favourite of mine at the time, he covered the Canadiens for the Gazette for years.

To this day, one of his favourite anecdotes to illustrate how Montréal fans were spoiled at the time is how Mayor Jean Drapeau would announce upon a Stanley Cup victory by nos Glorieux that the parade would follow “the usual route”.

Here is an article he penned for Sports Illustrated about the 1986 Canadiens.

———————————————————————–

56. philipjstock says:

Yup.

57. Un Canadien errant says:

I was a student, just started my summer job working in the Maintenance Department at the Ritz-Carlton. Me and the boss were tight, I told him me and one of my friends, another summer student who I met at work, were taking off to go see the parade, it was only a couple of blocks away after all, the sun was shining. He didn’t blink, we got changed out of our green uniforms and went out the punch clock/employee entrance on Drummond Street, and there was a beautiful girl who’d dropped off an application the day before, and me and Patrick had totally tried to hit on her, and she’d kept her cool and gave us a business-like smile, but totally hadn’t gone for it. This day, she was trying to get past the punchclock operator, telling him she needed to go to HR to drop off something, but he’d seen it rain, he wasn’t letting her in without an appointment, and she wasn’t on the list. We told her we’d talk to the HR assistants and put in a good word for her, but for now she should ditch and come with us to watch the parade. She came along and we all had a great time, I’d never seen so many people on Ste. Catherine, got a great suntan, beer showers, it was awesome. We never went back to work, the three of us ended up drinking all day, and most of the way into the night. That’s back when I had a liver. She ended up getting a job, and Patrick and I never got anywhere with her, except we had bonded, and in the staff cafeteria for the rest of the summer she’d sit with us along with her gorgeous coworkers, and we had an in, it was awesome.

If you guys are good, maybe one day I’ll tell you the (expunged) version of my night when Patrick Roy beat the Rangers in overtime. But only if you’re good.

———————————————————————–

58. Psycho29 says:

May 24th 1986 I was at a pals wedding….People were not impressed with him that evening!!! ;-)
    Same thing May 11th 1968…..My brother got married that afternoon, and the Habs won the Cup that afternoon at the Forum! Guys were sneaking off to their cars or to the kitchen at the hall to get the score off a tiny TV

In my lifetime the Habs have won 14 Stanley Cups, and I remember pretty vividly about 10 of them…..

I consider myself pretty lucky, especially when I listen to younger fans complain that they’ve never seen the Canadiens win a Cup…

59. kalevine says:

I was in MIlwaukee playing in a softball tournament the weekend of the last 2 games. I remember catching bits and pieces of the 4th game in the van driving there from Toronto. I think Habs won it 1-0. I was channel scanning in the hotel on the sat night of game 5 when I found the game, I think on ESPN. It was 2-0 Habs in the 3rd and I remember the relief when they quickly blew it open, only to be biting my nails for the last 5 minutes

60. commandant says:

Ah, when Stanley Cups were still won in May. Now we can’t even get through the third round before June.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• I love hockey but I have a hard time watching hockey in June. It’s just not right. Plus most families are doing somehting almost every night. For us it’s Soccer MOn and Wed, Softball Tues and Thurs, and dance Wed. We have Fri-Sun to do other stuff, but by then you just want to hang out at home lol.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31

• Kooch7800 says:

Everything comes down to money. They need to cut back on the 82 game schedule IMHO. Make games mean a little more and no more back to back bs. Hockey is a physical sport and the more rest the better the product on the ice would be

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bill says:

Totally agree. Hockey needs to be over by June!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• jctremblay says:

Man, glad you guys feel the same way..I’ve been called darn near “Un-Canadian” for my lack of interest in June hockey. Winter’s long , man, I have other things to do when it’s actually warm out. Then you watch a well played but kinda boring game like the LA/San Jose tilt last time out and the announcer says “Hardly ANY scoring chances,,this is tight hockey for the last 2 periods” Yep, that’s why we had so much disruptions with lockouts etc..so New Jersey Devils hockey can be the template again? Arghhhh..I like defensive hockey but if you watch 40 minutes and the scoring chances are 2-1 for one team….I’m getting ready to go out on the town instead.

61. kalevine says:

one point the article made was that the oft maligned Grundman and Caron did make some good moves and choices, and those contributed to the Cup win. Of course, if Grundman had picked Denis Savard instead of Doug Wickenheiser they might have had a few more Cups in the 80s. And/or we might be talking about those great Habs/OIlers confrontations in the 80s (and I don’t mean the 1981 fiasco)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Doug Wickenheiser was the right player to draft. He’d produced almost as well in the much tougher WHL than Denis did in the LHJMQ. For years, we’d been moaning and groaning about needing ‘un gros joueur de centre’. Even the hometown francophone press admitted that at the time, as much as we’d have liked having the Verdun Junior on the team. It just didn’t pan out.

In hindsight, the difference was in the competitiveness, the guts of both players. I’m not sure if scouting was that advanced at the time, how many scouts had seen both players play, and how much background work they did.

62. Bill says:

Twenty years … we officially cannot tease Leafs fans anymore. There is no tangible difference between twenty years and forty-six years.

63. johnnylarue says:

Sorry for the OT post, but:

Wow, it took Rob Ford a week to hold a press conference to tell the world that he, in fact, does not smoke crack cocaine, and is not addicted to crack cocaine.

That was one FAST rehab program!

But serious, this is a sad story that’s only getting more perverse and morose with each new display of cowardice on the part of this adult child…

End of OT rant.

• commandant says:

I believe Rob Ford is an idiot.

I believe he is an alcoholic.

I believe he’s been caught drunk driving, and has been caught for possession of marijuana.

I believe he’s a horrible mayor.

I’m not sure what to believe on the Crack Cocaine thing until I see the video. It doesn’t make sense.

Most people with money, which Ford has, and end up turning to drugs, will end up doing cocaine, and not crack as their drug of choice. We also don’t see a lot of Fat crack-heads. With that in mind, and the fact that the people claiming to be selling the video aren’t exactly reliable, honest, and trustworthy, there is some doubt here until i see it with my own eyes.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• johnnylarue says:

I know what you mean, though I certainly question why a pair of journalists for a major newspaper would put their credibility on the line with regards to this ‘alleged’ video if there was any doubt whatsoever as to what they saw. To my knowledge, crack dealers don’t typically have Hollywood-grade FX/CGI people at their disposal to manufacture believable videos of politicians “sampling their product”.

Maybe the mayor was hosed and cavorting with the wrong crowd and got suckered into trying it just the one time… Who knows!

Pretty safe bet, though, that if the video exists and is in the hands of some people of questionable repute, it will almost certainly see the light of day eventually.

• Psycho29 says:

I read that when he was a city Councillor he was against bike paths, because: “Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks, not for people on bikes. My heart bleeds for them when I hear someone gets killed, but it’s their own fault at the end of the day.”

His comments about AIDS prevention was even more disgusting.

• John Frodo says:

Its Game of Thrones stuff, a young prince not worthy of the throne, but instead of being poisoned he does himself in,

• habstrinifan says:

Too much going on in the Ford camp for me to dismiss this outta hand. I still have questions but I am not sure that this is all a scam. I do believe however that Ford is going to survive it.

64. Hobie Hansen says:

That 86 team was sick. I was 10-years-old and remember it pretty well.

One thing that sticks out, one real good smurf on the team, and the rest, solid tough and steady players.

Just the way it should be today.

1 smurf, not 5.

65. Newf_Habster says:

Where were you when they won the Cup in 1986?

I was university student in Washington D.C. There was a popular sports restaurant/bar called the Champions at M Street and Wisconsin Avenue NW because it was only the club in D.C. that showed NHL games at the time. IIRC, there were about ten folks who came from the Canadian Embassy, a few of local universities and private enterprise at long table not far from the club entrance and we hollered, chatted, ate and drank a bit. We had great time! :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Was a kid at a party in Halifax. Parents upstairs getting drunk and partying while the kids were downstairs watching the game and playing ball hockey in the basement.

At least some of you were here to remember that. Sigh. That’s all this club has been reduced to… memories of 20 some years ago. Sad.

67. Cal says:

What a team that 86 club was. As time passes, I respect them more and more and believe they would have beaten the Oilers.

68. jrshabs1 says:

I would like to thank Brandon Prust for taking the time to give encouragement and support to my friends son who nearly lost his life in a backyard accident. Brandon sent an autographed picture plus personally signed a letter to Cole who like his father is a big Habs fan. Thanks again Brandon.

Go Habs Go!!

69. Strummer says:

What I especially enjoyed about this Cup victory was the fact I won my office playoff pool that year.
    As a fan, I always picked Habs even though they hadn’t performed well in recent playoffs.
    That year I was the only one in the pool to take Habs- I chose Smith and Naslund- and I won it hands down.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

70. fastfreddy says:

Hab related point, I hope MB makes some type of off season moves,(free agency, trades ). I don’t think this team could win next season with the same team returning. On that note, MB will probably have to create some trade scenarios because we already have players signed up for next season.If MB wants different players, it will probably have to happen via trades.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

71. fastfreddy says:

loved every moment of that cup year, wow, I wish this team could play as well.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

72. johnnylarue says:

First, on this sad, sad anniversary…

Bittersweet.

1986 was the year I became a Habs fan. I was a 4th grader, eager to jump on the bandwagon… Which turned out to be more of a paddy wagon, as I have never been able to successfully get off of it!

• Mattyleg says:

This website is f*cked.
      I’m trying to post this as a response to johnnylarue, and it won’t let me:
      I’ve put symbols in to see if it will allow me to post it.

I was into the Habs before that, however.
      Loved Guy L@fleur when I was really little, and could say ‘The Fl*wer’ whenever I saw him.
      I also loved L@rry Robins*n’s red hair.
      And then Steve P¢nney was my hero during his brief stint as everybody’s hero.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mattyleg says:

So… what this means is that either it is illegal to use the names of three ex-Habs on this HOCKEY (not Montreal Canadiens™) website, or use the word ‘flower’.

Pathetic.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• I was 12 or 13 when Penny was playing, I though the was amazing! Same with Walmsley!

But when Patty came in we kids were BLOWN AWAY! I was Patrick Roy for a million street hockey games! :lol:

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 00029.31

• johnnylarue says:

Yup. I remember putting healthy doses of #33 brand mustard on my glove saves in front of the old garage door–which would resonate like a gong whenever one got by me–meaning every 20 seconds or so, much to my mother’s dismay.

I never got to see “The Flour” (mod-proof variant!) play in a Habs jersey, unfortunately–he had more of a circus performer aura to me when he came out of retirement to play for the enemy.

• OH my god YES! I can remember making an average glove save, then BOOM, splits,and the big wind mill! It drove my friends crazy because they were Leaf fans.

So funny.