Mario Tremblay joins RDS

Patrick Roy’s favourite hockey coach will do in-studio game commentary and appear on L’Antichambre.

This lends credence to the rumour that Joel Bouchard will become Pierre Houde’s new booth partner.

• Pat Hickey on the transformation of the Lightning

Cammalleri’s summer and he’s all over Toronto radio (thanks, Kevin van S)

• One year after the Gainey Purge, Robert L asks: Who would you want back?

Puck Daddy’s 10 Comeback candidates (No current Canadiens, but Mike Ribeiro and Christopher Higgins are on the list)

• Allan Muir of SI lists eight most-improved franchises

• TSN’s Top 10 off-season moves (guess whats no. 3)

• These are cool: patterns in penalties and a database of NHL uniforms (good find, petrov14)

Antti Niemi to arbitration today

Ben Eager is worth WHAT?

And today’s fan video

• James Mirtle on Denis Grebeshkov going to Russia

The free-agent boxscore

• Senators hire Rick Wamsley

• José Theodore feature

• KHL would open the vault for Kovy II

1. LA Loyalist says:

How could we possibly trade Price? Who would want him? The only scenario that MIGHT work is New Jersey, where he could play behind Brodeur for a year or two and learn his trade. And what would Lou give us for him? A late pick, maybe. What a waste of a top 5 pick.

P.S. Price’s real middle name is Wickenheiser. they don’t tell you that in the press materials

BTW – I don’t blame Price, he was rushed up here by management when he wasn’t mature enough, and I guess Habs management is never wrong.

2. LA Loyalist says:

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking into a police flashlight.” Ozzie Wilde, Oscar’s crazy brother.

3. since1988 says:

too many

4. Chuck says:

It got right to the point.

5. ZepFan2 says:

There is…fill it with cement!

– Steven Tyler

6. Mattyleg says:

Because Pierre “If-I-Yell-People-Might-Think-I-Know-What-I’m-Talking-About” McGuire is a reason to watch TSN??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. likehoy says:

post of the day.

8. HabFanSince72 says:

Although I completely agree that the goon position has no business in modern hockey, the analysis rather misses the point doesn’t it?

Goons at their worst seem to cost 1-3 goals per year. Not significant. Obviously it’s a minus, and another player could be a plus. But I don’t think you can measure a goon’s supposed value in terms of goals scored/conceded.

However ban fighting, punish attempts to injure very harshly (10 games for the first infraction, 20 for the second, one season for the third), and the Boogaards of this world can take their freakshow to extreme fighting.

9. aemarchand11 says:

Does HIO block the IP address or the computer address? Ultimately it doesnt matter because if you are on a wireless connection your IP is just a sub of the router. (To put it simply) I dont think they can ban the actual IP either since the computer isnt actually running it.

Or, he is going to other computers like at the library, work or summer school and is creating accounts and messaging.

All in all though, its quite sad and I’m beginning to feel bad for him.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

10. Xtrahabsfan says:

He can’t hear you with his Stanley cup rings in his ears….

We have our SUMMIT TICKETS ready to order. We are going to have a JOYFUL time meeting all the HIO family. Have a joyful cup of coffee on me before clicking on the Summit page on the side bar.–

Click here for a cup of coffee

12. Storm Man says:

She could flood it 🙂

13. andrewberkshire says:

Good call, I can see that happening for sure. It’s not like Niemi gave them anything that isn’t replaceable.

14. alestar says:

Unfortunately, he’ll be back…if only there was a way to get his mom to make him move out of the basement.

XXIV…and counting

15. Storm Man says:

Mario Tremblay on RDS perfect. I can’t wait till he tells us all on how to coach the Habs and who should be in the line-up and on what lines I hope we hear what Roy has to say about Mario on RDS.should be great.

-Make sure you send me all the information that I asked for with your money order, no exceptions! You can only reserve your tickets once I receive everything that was requested.

Summit Game Tickets Have Been Confirmed And Reserved

17. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Tremblay has been there before, and was pretty funny when he did it. The man has a sharp tongue and a certain wit, or at least he had. I used to enjoy his comments, and found he certainly added to the entertainment value of the RDS presentations.

This is a good thing – not of course to the usual suspects who will blame it on Gainey….

18. TripleX says:

I can see the very real possibility of Turco ending up in Chicago on a 1.5 to 2 million dollar contract.

Niemi goes to arbitration today and if he is awarded a large increase then Chicago will say goodbye and sign Turco.

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars” – Oscar Wilde

19. nightmare_49 says:

The Value of an NHL Goon

By Derek Zona / Copper & Blue

20. smiler2729 says:

I didn’t really like Mario Tremblay as a player and I sure as hell HATED him as a head coach, his name is synonymous with the Habs’ fall from contention into a decade of sh!t.

He’s a pompous idiot much like Michel Bergeron, so now L’Antichambre will have two know-it-all-better-than-anyone types… ugh.

21. smiler2729 says:

A “staring” goalie on a contending team? Staring from the bench.

22. Psycho29 says:

Bye Tony, Thanks for stopping by! (again)

23. says:

I liked him as a player……….

There’s a reason he doesn’t have a job in coaching.

He and the rest of the org destroyed the Canadiens and set us back at least 10 years.

That deal made for Patrick Roy was one of THE worst trades in NHL history.

At least the Oil won another Cup after the Great one left.

They Call Me Shane

24. slamtherimtim says:

i used to work at a golf corse where he was a member , total SOB

25. alestar says:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I recall watching him play and I loved his grit and determination as a player.

As a head coach, he never really stood a chance…he was totally out of his element.

I can’t imagine him being any worse an announcer that Brunet, but then again, that’s not saying a whole lot.

XXIV…and counting

26. Exit716 says:

I see you quote the Paper Bag wearing fraud known as Eklund.

“This is something I see Habs fans wrapping their hands around.”

Sure, Ek.

I think the only thing that Habs fans should wrap their hands around is your neck.

How does this clown even get credentials for anything related to the NHL?

27. nightmare_49 says:

Agent Says that Turco will be a Staring Goalie on a Contending Team

from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News,

” He will be on a contender, he will be the starter and he will get a chance to show everbody the kind of goalie he has been throughout his career and will continue to be,”  agent Overhardt said.

I am looking forward to having Mario Trembley on L’antichambre and in studio commentator, can’t be worse than Hartley.

28. HabFanSince72 says:

Hard to know what to think about Le Bleuet.

Should we remember him as a player or as a coach?

Let’s be generous and go with the former.

As a commentator he could be good: he is well spoken and forthright, and he has been around.

29. andrewberkshire says:

I still think they should have Patrick Roy appear on RDS via satellite from Quebec City whenever Tremblay is on so they can duke it out verbally. That’s the only scenario I want to see Tremblay’s mug on my TV screen, unless I’m watching classic Habs games.

30. alestar says:

You should have played that off as an ode to our resident troll, tony…

XXIV…and counting

31. ed lopaz says:

I would like to say a few nice words about Mario Tremblay.

I watched this kid play when he first came up and played on a great 4th line with Doug Risbourough, Yvon Lambert on “the Kid Line”.

He was a hard working, tenacious SOB who played with grit and would never back down from anyone.

he was never a great hockey talent, but he made the most of what he had, and helped the Habs win several

now I’ve said it.

as a coach he was god awful and cost us several more cups because if his feud with St Patrick.

as a broadcaster, I have no idea what he can do.

32. Joe_Habs says:

shit, ive been dreading his return to anything montreal canadiens…this is bad juju

33. von says:

Couldn’t stand Tremblay as head coach, don’t think I’ll like him as a commentator.

Maybe he will do a tap dance on the desk if the Habs win their season opener.

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

34. sprague cleghorn says:

AAAAGGGGG!  Mario!   Bad dream. Bad dream.  Must wake up.  Must wake up…

35. TripleX says:

Andrew Ladd signs a one year deal at 2.35 million with Atlanta.

36. TripleX says:

The title of the story was very misleading and definitely poor journalism, unless the intent was to mislead.

These were the top stories according to THN from a newsworthy angle and not in regards to importance or even impact.  Admittedly even from this viewpoint the stories listed are questionable as top tens.

Overall it was simply a badly headlined and written article.

37. Eliisa says:

Oh, that tribute just game me goosebumps! What a playoff run we had… how many more days till our boys hit the ice again?

38. Skotbot says:

Thats pathetic..

The best thing to do before or after a hockey game is to go FAR away to eat. Staying in tourist central will get u bitten by the “specials” and “local favs”

Personally I go for drinks at Biftek on St-Lau, (not a restaurant) and Ill eat at a non-sport related place.. Sushi, Thai, Indian,

I love the sport, but hate the environment it creates.

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

39. Skotbot says:

There are zero (0) reasons to watch TSN.

40. Black Jacques Halak says:

Mario Tremblay on RDS????  Great another reason to watch it on TSN…  The man who singlehandedly made the Avalanche a contender!

41. mike g says:

Yea, spelling mistake….what ya gonna do.

I know you live in CGY, so I wanna ask is everyone freakin out? I mean, to bring back Tanguay and Jokinen?

The Sutter’s basically pimped out those 2 players, and just picked them both back up from the street.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

42. mike g says:

Then why is Patrick Marleau at #7 ?

They credit the Sharks for re-signing him.

I’m still not understanding the author’s logic, or any sort of “knowledge” he has of hockey. Many moves were better than the Jokinen deal, including:

-Volchenkov going to NJ

-Atlanta trading for Buff, Eager, and Laad.

-Toronto signing Armstrong and trading for Versteeg

-Ray Whitney going to Phoenix

Those were just a few example, but there are many more. How Jokinen can be in the top 10 of anything, except fot douche’s, is unexplainable. I somehow think this author was on something when he wrote it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

43. Say Ash says:

Fully agree, Mike. Calgary’s offseason moves are truly mystifying. In fact, they only make sense to Sather and Milbury.

And “genious”? That’s pretty funny, dude.

44. mike g says:

I found that video on Youtube a few weeks ago, and even though it’s about 15 times I watch it, the chills are still there.

I posted the link a few times on HIO, including yesterday, but never got a reply to the post. I thaught people didn’t think it was good, and then…..BAM! Check-in to HIO this morning and it’s front page..

Anyways lo, it’s one of the best I’ve seen on Youtube.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

45. G-Man says:

“moves” implies player changing cities.

46. mike g says:

You gotta love one thing about the media, eh?…

How they just write something, and whether it’s true or not, the author thinks he/she is a genious.

All I know is that if I was the editor of The Hockey News magazine, wow….Wow to the article about the top 10 moves this offseason. How in the heck can anyone not on hardcore drugs say that Jokinen going to Calagary, or anywhere for that matter, was a better move than the Habs re-signing the 2nd best centerman available this offseason.

That’s right, the Habs re-signed Pleks, a 70 pt player who’s on the rise big time, and playing a way more important role than Jokinen. Yet, The Hockey News seems to think Olli Jokinen returning to a place where he sucked like a lemon was a better move.

Please someone, explain me how this works. Does this guy get hired by the magazine because they seriously think he knows something about hockey or did nobody at THN see this story before it could be published?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

47. Storm Man says:

See you at the draft should be fun 🙂

48. Bryan says:

That video gave me the chills.  So many great moments from last year’s playoff run.

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

49. petrov14 says:

There is always a loophole, eh? lol

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

50. G-Man says:

mmmm…Catherine Zeta-Jones….

It worked!

Go Habs Go.

I don’t care if Stephen Harper like hockey, he’s still a dickweed.

A Rusty Nail a day keeps the doctor away.

I love Catherine-Zeta Jones.

This is a test message to see if it comes out in individual paragraphs or just one combined unit.

53. alestar says:

On the database of NHL uniforms, I still think the 1944-47 uniforms were the best design, with the big stripe in the middle of the shirt on both the home and away jerseys. Just sayin’…

XXIV…and counting

54. Psycho29 says:

Hence the name “Smart” Dog.  🙂

Made the mistake of going to the Baton Rouge across from the Bell Center before a game last season. Found out only AFTER being seated that there was an “Event Menu” with five or six items to choose from ($$$$). Asked the waiter and was told the regular menu isn’t available on event nights (hockey, wrestling, concerts)….

55. Mark C says:

Ladd avoids arb. and signs for 1 year @ $2.35 reported.

Also, Wheeler’s award should be reported today before noon.

56. Rugger says:

” this is THN’s Top 10 off-season moves.” from the opening paragraph of the article in fact he calls it the 10 most important.  I do not see where it is newsworthy, just top 10.  If newsworthy then I can see some of his list

57. SmartDog says:

Try this: what are your top 5 restaurants to go to before or after a hockey game?  😛

OR I’m coming in town for a game and need a really good restaurant to take my wife/date/uncle Fred to….

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

58. HabFanSince72 says:

Are we not allowed to post non-hockey related questions once in a while?

I asked for people’s top 5 favourite Montreal restaurants etc… yesterday and the post got deleted.

Since there was nothing much going on other than the usual Price bashing, I didn’t think my post demonstrated an egregious lack of etiquette, but I’m happy to be corrected.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

But he meant top ten newsworthy, not top ten good moves.

The debate on this site alone pushes the Halak trade in the top ten.

60. Rugger says:

I stopped reading after he had the Flames adding Jokenin in his top 10.  Destroyed any credability the writer may have had.

61. gumper says:

In a clear demonstration that everything he knows about writing opinion pieces he learned in Grade 5, John Grigg anoints Halak a proven NHL #1, while failing to recognize anything positive about Eller and Schultz. I meet guys like this regularly on winter Saturday nights in sports bars, explaining why the Leafs are lightyears ahead of the Habs in their current rebuilding phases.

62. petrov14 says:

Ohhhh A Boone shout-out! How I have waited for this day!  😉

Also to see Montreals 100th year jerseys or other teams ‘once off’ specials, you have to click on that season then on that team to see them (It doesnt show up in the tumbnail). 2001\2002 Has Buffalos ‘NEW YORK’ jerseys.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

63. avatar_58 says:

I like that white jersey and I want one, but I worry it will get dirty too easily 😮