Maple Leafs bookend Habs’ wild ride

The logo you see at left is one that Canadiens fans – and the team, you’d expect – hope we can use much more of in the days ahead.

The Habs are home tonight to the Toronto Maple Leafs, their opponent 81 games ago when the NHL season opened for Montreal at the Air Canada Centre.

One difference: Carey Price started that game. Jaro Halak gets the call tonight.

With the New York Rangers’ inspired 4-3 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers last night, the guillotine tightened (to quote Price) just a little more.

The Habs are still in control of their own destiny, if barely – take the Leafs to overtime tonight, no matter the final result, and the Canadiens are in the playoffs.

Lose in regulation, however, and all bets are off. Such a loss by Montreal combined with one more point earned by the Bruins in their two remaining games and an OT win by the Rangers over Philly tomorrow will be the season’s end fore (that’s not a typo) the Canadiens.

1. mrhabby says:

gaborik stated last year ..he did not want to come to  montreal..rangers 1st on his list.

2. moonkid says:

I’m nowhere near the math wiz needed to calculate this but..

8 arenas losing power for 2 months and/or 11 planes crashing. (since Caps, Canucks, Hawks, Devils don’t have to travel after last game) Let’s have them all land on the island in “Lost”. I don’t want to be grim!

3. Danno says:

Not exactly the Jack Adams trophy, but Jacques Martin can gaze at this beauty.

4. HabsFanInVictoria says:

The ghost of Clarence Campbell?

5. gumper says:

Not wanting to prolong the debate, but perhaps you’ll allow that what is nothing to you could be something to somebody else.

6. Habsone says:

Lets do it Habs!  I still believe!  Go Habs Go!!   Lock Martin in the bathroom!

7. aemarchand11 says:

Yes Gaborik would leave Minnesota (Lemaire) to come to Montreal (Martin)…… No, he wouldnt.

-Halak it alot because the Price is right-

8. mrhabby says:

yep totally agree with you..i am hoping this does not happen. i will cringe.

9. Big Ted says:

When it comes right down to it, every team has to earn their way into the playoffs and if the Habs lose tonight, they don’t deserve to be there. But that being said, let’s not forget about the awful awful refereeing over the past two years, especially over the first half of this season. Looking back, I would not be surprised if Chris Lee has cost the Habs 3-5 points and he’s certainly cost them at least the 1 that would have put them in already. So yes, the Habs need to do the job and get in the right way, but what does that say about the role sub-par officiting plays in the league who gets in the playoffs is affected by the incompetence of one official. Yet another reason Chris Lee, Colin Campbell, and Gary Bettman all need the boot.

10. Off-side says:

And now for the good news…

11. Off-side says:

The C won’t make them skate any better, any faster or protect their goalie any more.  And if it does and we make it, then I suggest we sew a C on every jersey for the playoffs!

12. habsgod says:

COME ON  what’s happening to us? we are suppose to stick together and cheer for our team! no matter what ,so we’ve lost a couple of games i beileve we are going to make it in
     maybe this will help you guys to belive this will happen

13. SmartDog says:

YGTR… Gomez = Gaboric – 30 goals

Good post.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

14. Bill J says:

I am allowed to use the word ;) – as a Born in Montreal raised in French 100% FRENCHIE.

Sorry you feel that way, but your making something out of nothing.

15. Say Ash says:

How scenarios ya got there for us to win the cup without winning another game?

16. Bill J says:

You assume Gaborik would have signed with the Habs ?

Really ?

lol

17. gumper says:

As a pure white sixth generation Ontario lad, I must say I find the term Frenchie offensive.

18. gumper says:

Couldn’t agree more Dave. I’ll add that I’ve slowly been coming to the conclusion that there may not be a captain on this team, and that’s why the team is in its current pickle.

19. SmartDog says:

I agree with you.

And the Habs management would NEVER put publicity stunts over hockey success.  Well, if you ignore ALL of last year at least….

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

20. SmartDog says:

I didn’t mean that I think they’ll get the point.

I mean if they don’t get it - meh - they’re not ready for the playoffs anyway.  I’m worn out on hope for these guys… they get it or they don’t, and if not maybe they’ll fix some things.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

21. BKAK72 says:

This is the difference (in bold) b/n the HABS rested for the playoffs or limping into them:

GOMEZ $7.35m cap hit w.77GP 12G 45A (5’11″ 200 lbs)

GABORIK $7.50m cap hit w. 75GP 42G 44A (6’1″ 200 lbs)

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

22. Bugs says:

Great, we’re screwed.

Thanks, Dave.

Always fun when you drop in.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

23. Danno says:

Dave, I agree the C should not be used as a cheap stunt. But the team needs a spark of some kind. I say do it.

24. Bugs says:

In the game against Buffaler, we got into their heads with the Canadian gold medal-winner ceremony, while Miller was standing there pickin his nose thinking about his silver.

But how do you remind a team of losers that they’re losers when they KNOW they’re losers? I mean, every single Toranna-based communiqué or article starts off with “Yes, we know we’re losers, thank you, but still…” so how do you get into their heads? You can’t.

I suppose we ought to expect SOMETHING tonight, some motivational pre-game ceremonial I-don’t-what.

Agree a Naming-a-Captain bit would stir up some drama.

But it would only work with Markov. Not necessarily because he would make the best captain on the team, but because it would get 21 273 people cheering and buzzing the loudest.

ONE captain playing wouldn’t make a difference tonight; 21 273 folks buzzing just might.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

25. Dave Stubbs says:

I love and respect my friend and colleague Boone to death. (OK, I respect him.) His most recent About Last Night was genius.

But if the Habs trot out a captain tonight after dragging their feet for 81 games, they need their heads examined. The captaincy of this franchise is steeped in history. Name the man for the right reasons, with an eye to what the C means in the much larger picture.

Don’t name him as a desperate stunt to rally the troops and the fans after the team has failed, twice, to beat summer-bound teams with a playoff berth at stake, with a third bottom-feeder at hand.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

26. moonkid says:

More useless stats:

Assuming the Bruins lose in regulation tonight, there are 16 possible outcomes for the Sunday games. 13 of them result in the habs making the playoffs.

If the Bruins DO get a point tonight, then there are still 4 possible outcomes on Sunday, with 3 of them resulting in habs making the playoffs.

So.. it still looks good even if they lose tonight. (At least, that’s what I try to tell myself!)

27. jimmy shaker says:

Halak’s in…..Now is MAB on the D or up front?  SK74, Darche, Pyatt, Laps or O’byrne……who’s the odd man out?

Shaker

28. Bill J says:

To answer your question about the Captain

A: Because Pierre Boivin wanted a Big #1 Center Frenchie to be the next Captain.

or

A: They only realised No Captain nominated hurts the team, in the team meeting they just had ?

Either way, not too impressed.

29. Raster says:

Talking about bookends, We did win the first game of the season against the laffers but lost Markov. Since we are practically in I suggest that we call up Neilson and sit Markov. This will give Orr a fine dance partner and maybe add an inch to our wee forwards. We only have 1 callup left until the dogs are eliminated so lets not waste it……or maybe Suban?

Sing O’Canada when we play the leafs tonight, It will driveBurke and Wilson crazy and leaf fans can’t boo.

30. Ron says:

They have had the last 2 games to get a single point and move on but showed either total lack of desire by quite a few players on the team to show us that they want or even can advance beyond a first round if in the post season. Quite a few are living in embarassment now and it does not appear to bother them. Hope the last few days and the riding the pines has shown the team what is at stake and what each and every player needs to do to redeem themselves. I wonder down deep whether JM is the coach to beable to do it. The home ice crowd should bring out some form of professionalism to not want to stink the place out. One friggin point aginist a team that will come out hitting and taking as much liberties as they can hand out will be difficult to over come. The boys will need to be pumped more than any other game to take control of their own destiny or a few player will have played their last game as a Hab. Good luck.

31. jimmy shaker says:

Gotta be 5!

Shaker

32. RetroMikey says:

I really don;t understand why the rant on JM when little Sergei was benched?   It’s not the first time he has been benched in Montreal or in Hamilton.  A coach and his associates are there try to assemble the best possible players on ice and if little Sergei is replaced by hardworking players in Darche and Pyatt, so be it.  He’s doing the types of things that all coaches, (even a
    coach who doesn’t preach aggression like JM) will find unacceptable.
    He’s been unwilling to take a hit to make a play and unwilling to go
    into the corners for much of this season. The number of times he’s
    bailed on getting to the puck first on the forecheck this season has
    been really disappointing. If you have a chance to retrieve the puck
    and create offensive chances for your team but you bail out because you
    don’t want to get hit, I don’t see why you should be rewarded with PP
    time. Not trying to be too down on the kid, but I think he is way too overrated in my books.  I see other players on the farm like Desharnais who would play better than Sergei but the “too small: factor comes in place.

Unfortunately he’s lost his mojo and let the temper tantrums begin. |See ya Sergei!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

33. ed lopaz says:

very simple:

habs win – JM will start next season as head coach

habs lose – JM will be moved somehwere in the organisation (3 years left on his contract), and Habs will promote Boucher

if the players lose to Islanders, hurricanes, and leafs to end the season and NOT make the playoffs, how could the coach possible convince PG and Molson that he has control of the room? Impossible.

i really like boone’s comment about gionta coming out as captain tonight – it makes sense – fires up the team and the crowd, and this should have been done at least 40 games ago in any case.

have to ask: who could possibly give me a reason why the habs would not have given gionta the C at some point earlier this season??

this organisation blows.

34. Danno says:

Of course you know there are three kinds of lies. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

35. EastCoastJoe says:

I agree, BUT…sadly I work with a lot of Leaf fans.  Trust me, this is anything by a nothing game to them.  They were prancing around yesterday like tonight’s game was game 7 of the Stanley Cup final, guaranteeing me of a Leafs regulation win!  It’s very sad and pathetic that this is the only thing they have left, so I didn’t bother getting into the whole 43 years without a cup, 5 years no playoffs, 29th in the league stuff.  Just too easy.

“IT WAS JUST A SQUIRREL, PEOPLE!”

36. Danno says:

I hate to show you this, but here is the ugly truth

37. Exit716 says:

What’s the over-under on useless shots of Burke in the press box tonight?

38. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll take these two guys I guess, right?????  I swear I saw “The Rock” spell it J-A-B-R-O-N-E……okay maybe I didn’t.  Damm wikipedia!  Thanks Dave, way to start my day off on a hooked on spelling lesson.  Can Paul Stewart come out of retirement for this game?  Then I would feel a lot better!

Shaker

39. SmartDog says:

I can’t say I’m worried.  One point against the Laffers in a crucial game that means nothing to them and everything to us.  If they can’t do that, I don’t want to see a post-season Habs.  Might as well go golfing and live in embarassment for the summer.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

40. SmartDog says:

Yeah, but I here they buried his lucky tie under the ice.  Or was that in the backyard behind Bob Gainey’s old house?

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

41. TommyB says:

LMAO…….very good!

42. SmartDog says:

I’m sure you don’t mean that as an insult Dave.  But just so you know, the dogs are listening.  And some of them haven’t even had breakfast.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

43. Danno says:

Too bad Albert Einstein isn’t around to explain the theory of relativity, or the “What If’s” of this crazy playoff race.

44. DriveTo25 says:

Lets get a W tonight and make the playoffs through the front door! New blog post by the way! ‘Canes review & Buds preview, Check it out!

_______________________________________________________

http://www.driveto25.weebly.com <—-My Blog, I’d love to know what you guys think!

45. BJ says:

Habs this season with Darche:

In: 15-8-5

Out: 24-25-4

46. Danno says:

The following shocking stats of JM’s sorry track record against the Leafs comes from Dennis Kane’s blog,

——————————————————————————————————————–

The following is the offender’s playoff rap sheet against the Toronto
    Maple Leafs, the team the Habs need to assault on Saturday.

1986-87 with St. Louis. Lost to Toronto 4 games to 2.
    1999-2000 with Ottawa. Lost to Toronto 4 games to 2.
    2000-2001 with Ottawa. Lost to Toronto 4 games to none.
    2001-2002 with Ottawa. Lost to Toronto 4 games to 3.
    2003-04 with Ottawa. Lost to Toronto 4 games to 3.

———————————————————————————-

P.S. Check out Dennis Kane’s blog. It’s loaded with lots of good stuff for Habs fans.

47. Dave Stubbs says:

Dan Marouelli referees his final NHL game tonight. Wes McCauley works with him. So don’t blame the outcome of this on Chris Lee or Kerry Fraser or Vern Buffey or King Clancy or…

(And Jimmy, for future reference: it’s spelled jabroni.)

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

48. Danno says:

Jacques-O would be a virtuoso on the triangle. A can hear him now. Ting! ting! ting!

49. smiler2729 says:

The Laffs have clinched 29th place, they could finish with the worse PP and PK in the NHL. Ron Wilson is a genius, though, just ask him. They have serious salary cap issues next season (Giguere $7 million, Phaneuf $6 million, not to mention Jeff Finger’s touchy 3.5 cap hit and Tucker’s $1 million buyout hit) -BUT- they’ll come into Montreal and kick Hab ass as usual cuz JM has no clue as how to beat this team – EVER!

50. jimmy shaker says:

Can we find out the ref schedule somehow?…so at least we can be prepared for that jabrone!

Shaker

51. Dave Stubbs says:

Hopefully, this dog’s breakfast is repaired. Thanks to Arpon Basu.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

52. CaliforniaHabsFan says:

Odds of Habs making playoffs still at 97.7% according to Sport Club Stats.

53. EastCoastJoe says:

I don’t know what instrument, but it would be one that needs no emotion and allows him to stand very still and stone faced under all circumstances.

IT WAS JUST A SQUIRREL, PEOPLE!

54. Danno says:

I’m hoping for Chris Lee to get the call to ref the game. There’s not enough drama without him.

55. SmartDog says:

And as you suggest, even though I would RATHER make the playoffs and would LOVE to see a blow-out of the Laffs tonight, I almost think that the team is more likely to make the changes it needs if we don’t get in. Sad but I think making the playoffs is going to be like “yes, we’re on the right track”.  Then they’ll get rid of Halak and Hamrlik and wonder why next year they’re struggling again.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

56. Danno says:

Nice to see H I/O has a crack team of fact checkers working 24/24!

Hey, what kind of instrument should JM play? Maybe the fiddle. He’s good at that. Fiddlin’ that is…

57. BJ says:

I don’t how well posters here understand French but I would very highly recommend listening to http://www.rds.ca and go to the Antichambre and listen to the date when Gino Odjick was on. Funny, entertaining and touching.

58. EastCoastJoe says:

I beat you to it by a minute Danno! :-)

I’m sure it was just mis-typed.

“Maybe I’ll play the piano.” – Bob Gainey

59. Danno says:

Just posted the same idea. But you beat mine! Cheers to you EastCoastJoe!

60. jimmy shaker says:

That might be a good thing…..he might be sending the negative vibe down from the presser, just like I would after getting fired for no good reason!

Thanks,

Shaker

61. Danno says:

IF we lose to the Leafs, Boston only needs one loser point (lose in overtime) either from the Canes or Caps to squeeze us out. That, combined with Rangers winning in overtime against Philly on Sunday.

Dave, I believe that is what you meant to say but here is what you put down regarding Boston:

If the Bruins lose in regulation today to Carolina and
    again tomorrow vs Washington;

I think that should say “lose in overtime”

I may be wrong on this, and if so please forgive me.

62. EastCoastJoe says:

Mr. Stubbs, you have an error in your post:

You wrote:

<i>Lose in regulation, however, and all bets are off. In this case, here
    are the two ways they can be bounced from the postseason:

• If
    the Bruins lose in regulation today to Carolina and
    again tomorrow vs Washington;</i>

The Bruins in fact need one point.  I’m sure this was just an oversight.  If the Habs and Bruins lose their remaining games in regulation, they are tied in points and the Habs win the tiebreaker because of more wins.

In any case, I dream of a rare early easy going victory tonight, up by 3 after 1.  And of course hanging on to lose in OT.

“Maybe I’ll play the piano.” – Bob Gainey

63. Dave Stubbs says:

Carbo’s in Belarus with Canada’s under-18 team, so he’s a healthy scratch.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

64. jimmy shaker says:

Cole, Carbonneau and Millen or Hughson, Simpson and Healy….who’s getting the call and will that effect the outcome of tonight’s game any?

Shaker

65. jimmy shaker says:

So tonights game is going to be anything but a given for us…..first off Toronto layed an egg vs the rangers, so the likleyhood of them laying two eggs in a row is very low!  Second, Toronto always plays us tough, or we just don’t elevate our play enough, (pick your poison.)  Since all of the games have been close this year except for the 3-0 shutout they laid on us, this game should be no different.  J.S. Giguere….is he going to play like Wardeur and play out of his skin like so many goalies seem to do against us?  IS JM going to instill the confidence this team needs right from the get go?  Are these guys going to show some self pride and put together an effort that is deserving of the two points?  And are the fans going to help out tonight or add to the frustration?  I hope we can get that point tonight, that Jaro plays another solid game and that the cubs lose this afternoon to that same canes team that pummeled us.  And finally, please get it done, because I want  off this rollercoaster ride that is the last week of the season, where every friggin scenario seems to be turning out the way we don’t want it to!

MAB and Marky 3 goals tonight, bring it home!

Shaker

66. MontrealAtheist says:

Let’s hope we can lose to the Leafs in OT and qualify !!!

67. Habsforlife 1959 says:

I believe!!! I believe!!! A win!!! A win!!! The Habs will be firing on all cylinders tonight. The boys will give the hometown a much needed win. JM needs to roll 4 lines and use the power play to their advantage. Lauffs are dead last in PP & PK and our Habs will put it all on the line tonight. Look for Cammalleri- Plekanec- AK46 be the go to line. Habs must play a full 60 minutes and stay away from any scuffles the Lauffs will try to do. I’m flying to Toronto in the morning and I would love to wear my Habs Jersey going through the airport in early when I arrive showing who the best there is. Staying in T.O for 2 weeks and then head back home. C’mon boys give us all a sweet victory. Go Habs Go!!! Go Habs Go!!!

68. hab lifer says:

bruins won’t lose. they’re not chokers like the habs.

69. Mad Habber says:

Only we’ll have to listen to English media rant and rave about how the Laughers have put us out twice in the final game of the season..lol

Besides dealing high first round picks, it’s about all they are good for..lol

70. Mad Habber says:

Great idea, play a bad game and you lose the C. Keep doing this until there is only on left, and there you have the next captian of the Montreal Canadiens.

THey way they’ve played the last week I’m guessing it will only take about one game to decided…

71. smiler2729 says:

Yeah, I was going to mention him but I thought no one else would remember… back when there was one Zamboni (Mark Ten cigarettes)…

72. gumper says:

Well, I guess the place I’m coming from is a general objection to labelling. Race, gender, religion etc. I’m happy to call the French speaking people of Quebec by whatever name they prefer. Frenchie sounds derogatory to my admittedly out of touch ears. Anyhow, I agree wholeheartedly with your philosophy about the hiring of coaches and appointing/electing of captains. And I can see that the language they speak only seems to become an issue if the team is losing. Your biggest problem is always your biggest problem. Thanks for the Saturday morning dialogue. It’s quiet here this morning, waiting for the Fates’ pronouncement on tonight’s tilt.

73. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Dave,

I hate to say this but who will be starting in goal for the Habs tonight?

74. shootdapuck says:

Dave, you omitted Bill Friday, John Ashley and Red Storey!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

75. Ron says:

I see where you are at and I agree that if they get the point so be it and if they do not then so be it also. If they can’t play well enough too earn a playoff berth on their own then what hope of going much further than the first round do they have. Getting the point or not and being bounced from a berth will not change much this season. Changes need to be made and fixing is in order. PG has his work cut out for him either way.

76. Gorges_the_great says:

We need a win tonight not just for the playoffs but two points tonight and we finish in sixth. I don’t think Boston can squeeze 3 points out of Wash and Carolina with Ovechkin looking for both the Art Ross and Maurice Richard trophies and Carolina playing like no one told them they’re out of a playoff race.

77. linp says:

According to CKAC:

Pour une raison encore inconnue, Andrei et Sergei Kostitsyn ainsi que
    Scott Gomez ne s’entraînent pas avec leurs coéquipiers sur la patinoire
    du Centre Bell ce matin.

WTF! !@#$

78. Bill J says:

I am also echoing your sentiment

WTF!!!!!

79. Xtrahabsfan says:

All I can say about tonight’s game is we need $20 million dollars worth of SMURF POWER to PERFORM…..Gomer,Gionta  and C ammi ….DO YOUR F*** ING BEST IMITATION OF GOAL SCORERS!!!!!!!

80. SPATS says:

bottom of the 9th, 2 out, bases loaded….our best hitters coming to the plate, overdue for an RBI that will cinch us a spot in the postseason… Other teams bullpen is weak and inexperienced…should be exciting n’est-ce pas?

81. Bill J says:

Sigh your post reminded me of the Baseball lockout that stole the Championship away from the ‘Spos.

82. makka83 says:

I hope they give Halak some help tonight. Otherwise, I would not mind seeing Halak smack everyone of them on the head.. with the help of Price…

83. WestHab says:

according to Dave on Twitter, Darche is a go for tonight. Looks like SK74 wears a suit. JM will not confirm line up till tonight.

84. TomNickle says:

“We have the skill level to play [an up-tempo] game, and you’ll see an exciting brand of hockey.”(Jacques Martin)

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/06/01/sp-f-martin-canadiens.html#ixzz0kiDUgijK

Well, I for one would like to see it tonight.  Why not trade chances with an undisciplined, young team with mediocre goaltending?  Especially when the outcome could determine your playoff fate.  Millions of dollars are on the line for the organization tonight.

I’ve calmed down after the Carolina loss and thought to myself.  Does New Jersey change their style of play if they lose 5 in a row?  Did Ottawa when JM was there?  The answer is no, they don’t even change when they’re down in the 3rd.  They just play their top 6 forwards and hope to create offensive opportunities and both teams were very successful for a long time.  The best we can do is put faith in the coaching staff and the players that they will execute well within their abilities and do what puts them in the best position to win.

At the end of the day I hope Jacques Martin proves my footer incorrect.

With Jacques Martin at the helm, we are doomed to be a good team instead of a great one

85. dh says:

Cammallerri gets a hat trick, Jaro gets a shutout and the Habs name a captain for the playoffs.  Gionta or Markov would be my choice.

86. Mad Habber says:

I hope they dont name a Captian…If they past week has proven anything, the team in bad need of on-ice leadership…Gionta is about the only one that has shown any, and only after they were down 2 to Carolina.

87. gumper says:

If the team HAS an exciting brand of hockey, it’s time to get it out of storage!!

88. gumper says:

Or perhaps the Mudville 9 with the Mighty Casey at bat. Gulp.

89. SPATS says:

Indeed Bill, we’ve been here before (sort of) hope for the best, plan for the worst

90. hab lifer says:

Cammalleri couldn’t score a goal if he had 100 open nets.

and we’re stuck with him for 4 more years. oh god!

91. hab lifer says:

leafs will win 2-1 in regulation. remember, habs can’t score and never show up for important games.

remember the last game of the season 3 years ago?  habs didn’t show up and lost to the leafs.

history always repeats itself and so do this crappy bunch of losers.

92. habsfan0 says:

Scenario: Habs lose to Leafs in regulation tonight, must rely on outside help to qualify for post season.

After the game: Reporter: “Are the Habs in trouble,coach?”

Jacques Martin: “Evidemment”

93. ooder says:

??? wow… you just find new and stupid things to say.. how do you do it so easily?

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

94. WindsorHab-10 says:

And don’t forget that we had a 2 goal lead that game & blew it.

95. adam76 says:

You MUST be a leaf fan?  Cammy was on fire before getting hurt.

96. makka83 says:

Best movie ever!!!

97. Bugs says:

If I had my way, I’d have you locked up for the rest of your natural life; YOU DESTROYED HALF THE CITY!

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

98. adam76 says:

John Mason: Are you sure you’re ready for this?

Stanley Goodspeed: I’ll do my best.

John Mason: Your “best”! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and blank the prom queen.

Stanley Goodspeed: Carla was the prom queen.

John Mason: Really?

Stanley Goodspeed: [cocks his gun] Yeah.

99. luca says:

The habs cant score 5 goals when JM is the coach so sit back and get ready to get pissed off when the habs score 1 goal and we sit back and get worked by the laffs.

100. habsgod says:

tonight we win,and win 5-3  does anybody know what the scenario is when we win tonight ,for 6th place we still can finish 6th i think?

101. moonkid says:

If habs win, they’ll clinch 6th if Boston gets 2 points or less over their final 2 games. Rangers/Flyers wouldn’t be able to pass them regardless of their Sunday game.

102. habsgod says:

we will score enought to win don’t you worry about that!

103. Bugs says:

- What kind of music do you listen to? Do you like Elton John’s “The Rocket Man”?

- I don’t listen to that soft-butt sh*te.

- Oh, you don’t? Oh, oh… I only bring it up cuz, see…it’s you. You’re the Rocket Man. (click)

PSHHHAAAAW!

- Yaaargh!

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

104. Mad Habber says:

Yeah he has done a bang up job so far hasnt he…lol

105. mrhabby says:

i plan to stay a canadiens fan thx very much..just frustrated.

106. hab lifer says:

you’ll be chanting that to the habs as they leave the ice for the final time this season.

107. kirkiswork says:

Kinda scarey to play the Leafs in the last game of the season again.
    Hope Philly can help us if necessary.

Still if we get in we really
    got to pick it up a couple of notches to compete in the first round.

108. 100HABS says:

Given that Boston needs a point, and the Rangers must win in overtime, I expect we’re in regardless. So where do I buy playoff tickets? They have to be assured of being in the POfs before they start selling? So when do they open the wickets? I really really want to buy tix – I don’t want to be a hour late like in September…

109. TommyB says:

Boston will have their hands full with Carolina, but don’t assume Washington will beat them Sunday.  You can’t trust teams that have wrapped up their playoff spot before that final game.  Even worse with Washington, they have a chance to help decide who they will play in the first round.  Habs need to clinch on their own tonight.

110. Willy the bum says:

I can’t bear to watch this single greatest game tonight; I have a bad feeling about this.

That said, I’m sure the Habs will win.

Or saying that last part jinxed it.

Oh crap.

111. Chuck says:

I’ll be there tonight, and hopefully the can turn it the kind of performance that they did the last time I visited the Bell: the hammering of the bRuins in the Centennial game.

Go Habs Go!!!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

112. homerbowen says:

We bashed the Laffs all year and made fun of them at every opportunity. This should be a walk in the park. We have a great team after our re-building over the summer. Wht have the Laffs got that should concern us? For a start they have;

- better team mangement, a short & long range plan, youth and team speed, enthusiasm, desire, motivation, hunger, good (not great) goaltending, they hate us badly, and one very important aspect… they are big and they are tough.

Yes, the Laffs sucked for the better part of the season but never against us and for the latter quarter of the season they are showing signs that they have a new directiion which appears to be opposite to ours.

Perhaps I am missing something significant but I can’t think of it so I’ll hope for better things on Sunday.

113. TommyB says:

HOLY MACKINAW !!!!!  You’re scaring the crap out of me ;)

114. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Leafs short term plan: be terrible.

Leafs long term plan: give away high draft picks.

Are we much better off? I wouldn’t say so, but let’s not use them as the model. I can understand people comparing us unfavourably to the Pittsburghs, Chicagos and Los Angeleses of the hockey world, but am I jealous of the management of the 29th place team who gave up their 1st and 2nd pick this year and 1st next year? I say we aim higher.

Tonight we have to show those losers that we are somewhat less loserly!

115. slamtherimtim says:

250 for a pair of tickets , 25 for parking ,10 bucks a beer , 4 dollars a hotdog ,??? at the gift shop , they better make it worth it ,

116. MontrealAtheist says:

“250 for a pair of tickets , 25 for parking ,10 bucks a beer , 4 dollars a hotdog”

Watching the Habs clinch a play-off spot by beating the Leafs … priceless!

117. Habs_Juve says:

They need to play tonight like it is playoff game, and show how they are going to play in the postseason.

It starts tonight not later.

MD

118. HabsFansince49 says:

What you say is true, Dave. But what an awful commentary on this organization. We can rationalize forever but in recent years (the date is debatable) we have been poorly managed. Compare Montreal to Pittsburgh, Washington and even Phoenix, the problem is obvious – the buck stops upstairs.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

119. lavie says:

Do I have to tell JM that “the first 5 mins decide the tone”; “the best defense is offense”?

120. jimmy shaker says:

YES, this is true, and a PP goal by Cammy assisted by MAB and Marky would be icing on the cake 5 minutes in!

Shaker

121. jimmy shaker says:

Absolutely Priceless!!!

Shaker

122. Danno says:

And Mir-Halak-ulous as well.

123. habsgod says:

COME ON  what’s happening to us? we are suppose
    to stick together and cheer for our team! no matter what ,so we’ve lost
    a couple of games i beileve we are going to make it in
     maybe this will help you guys to belive this will happen

i know this is posted by me already but i’m posting it again let’s go lets cheer hard for our team
    no matter what we gotten keep believing

124. sailor2963 says:

Tonight’s gonna be a good, good night!

125. mrhabby says:

not trying to be negative here. its easy to make fun of the laffs. i live in TO and nothing makes me happier when we win against them. but we have done squat the  last 17 years and in danger of another year of much the same, are we falling in the same league as these bottom feeder teams that we should have beaten to make it to the show.  i applauded the changes BG made in as much as the chemistry needed to be altered, the room needed to be changed. i guess my biggest question are the players we have not the right ones for the coaching style that is implemented…..does management see this.

my frustration grows with this much beloved franchise.

126. EricInStL says:

I would start liking the Leafs if I were you….. They will be better as BB gets his grips in that team and make it his own.

In Guy Boucher I trust.

127. EricInStL says:

Toronto 4-1 winners tonight.

Boo birds will start during the 2nd period and not stop.

But we’ll still make the playoffs.

That’s all folks….

In Guy Boucher I trust.

128. Jbird says:

I think this is a very realistic prediction.

129. thehuds says:

Screw all the complaining, the analyzing and all the negativity. Let’s get pumped for this game make the nation hear  only two things from Habs fans tonight:

GO HABS GO!!!!!

and

OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE!!!!!!!!!!!

130. Bill J says:

I just hope the Fans don’t get into the OLÉ OLÉ’s till at least the 3rd period.

How many times has the Bell started chanting OLÉ OLÉ – only to lose momentum…. Too many to count.

131. habsgod says:

AND DON’T FORGET THE EVEN MORE IMPORTANT CHANT THAT WE DO

NA NA NA NA NA ,HEY, HEY HEY, GOODBYE

LET’S SING IT REAL LOUD FOR THE MAKE ME LAFFS AFTER WE HAND THEM THEIR ASS TONIGHT 5-3!

132. WestHab says:

Just win the damm game and be done with it. The Habs need to play for the 2 points.  On Thursday night they started out with a tie (0-0) and they tried to protect it in the first period.  I sure hope the team is not considering watching the out of town scores all night cause if they do that, they’ll miss the one they are playing.

133. Danno says:

Agreed. But only if we have a five-goal lead.

134. Danno says:

6-0 Montreal. There’s another one.