Maple Leafs bookend Habs’ wild ride

The logo you see at left is one that Canadiens fans – and the team, you’d expect – hope we can use much more of in the days ahead.

The Habs are home tonight to the Toronto Maple Leafs, their opponent 81 games ago when the NHL season opened for Montreal at the Air Canada Centre.

One difference: Carey Price started that game. Jaro Halak gets the call tonight.

With the New York Rangers’ inspired 4-3 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers last night, the guillotine tightened (to quote Price) just a little more.

The Habs are still in control of their own destiny, if barely – take the Leafs to overtime tonight, no matter the final result, and the Canadiens are in the playoffs.

Lose in regulation, however, and all bets are off. Such a loss by Montreal combined with one more point earned by the Bruins in their two remaining games and an OT win by the Rangers over Philly tomorrow will be the season’s end fore (that’s not a typo) the Canadiens.

1. SmartDog says:

And as you suggest, even though I would RATHER make the playoffs and would LOVE to see a blow-out of the Laffs tonight, I almost think that the team is more likely to make the changes it needs if we don’t get in. Sad but I think making the playoffs is going to be like “yes, we’re on the right track”.  Then they’ll get rid of Halak and Hamrlik and wonder why next year they’re struggling again.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

2. hab lifer says:

bruins won’t lose. they’re not chokers like the habs.

3. Mad Habber says:

Only we’ll have to listen to English media rant and rave about how the Laughers have put us out twice in the final game of the season..lol

Besides dealing high first round picks, it’s about all they are good for..lol

4. Mad Habber says:

Great idea, play a bad game and you lose the C. Keep doing this until there is only on left, and there you have the next captian of the Montreal Canadiens.

THey way they’ve played the last week I’m guessing it will only take about one game to decided…

5. smiler2729 says:

Yeah, I was going to mention him but I thought no one else would remember… back when there was one Zamboni (Mark Ten cigarettes)…

6. gumper says:

Well, I guess the place I’m coming from is a general objection to labelling. Race, gender, religion etc. I’m happy to call the French speaking people of Quebec by whatever name they prefer. Frenchie sounds derogatory to my admittedly out of touch ears. Anyhow, I agree wholeheartedly with your philosophy about the hiring of coaches and appointing/electing of captains. And I can see that the language they speak only seems to become an issue if the team is losing. Your biggest problem is always your biggest problem. Thanks for the Saturday morning dialogue. It’s quiet here this morning, waiting for the Fates’ pronouncement on tonight’s tilt.