Malcolm Subban could be No. 1 goalie for Canada at world juniors

malcolmweb

While the NHL has now cancelled all games through Dec. 30, there will be some interesting hockey starting Tuesday when 36 players report to Team Canada’s selection camp in Calgary for the world junior championship, including Malcolm Subban of the Belleville Bulls.

The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell reports that P.K.’s brother, who was selected by the Boston Bruins in the first round of this year’s NHL draft, has a good shot at being the No. 1 goalie for Team Canada when the tournament starts on Boxing Day. Not bad for someone who only started playing in goal when he was 12 after starting out as a defenceman.

You can read Branswell’s story by clicking here.

You can see the complete world junior schedule by clicking here.

Meanwhile, Santa Claus was fired in Toronto recently after telling a 3-year-old boy wearing a Maple Leafs tuque that the Leafs suck. But the bad Santa isn’t the only one who thinks the Leafs suck. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

1. Mavid says:

ugly…it must have given him a rash..

2. otter649 says:

Connor McDavid (15 year old) from Erie Otters signs with Reebok/CCM endorsement deal – the last hockey player this young to get an endorsement deal was Sidney Crosby……..

3. Bripro says:

Hockey Frustration Song no. 27

Cue the Christmas music!

On the first day of Christmas
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the second day of Christmas
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the third day of Christmas
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the forth day of Christmas
    Four flat tires
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the fifth day of Christmas
    Five subpoenas
    Four flat tires
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the sixth day of Christmas,
    Six senses tingling
    Five subpoenas
    Four flat tires
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the seventh day of Christmas,
    Seven ‘lil psychopaths
    Six senses tingling
    Five subpoenas
    Four flat tires
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the eight day of Christmas,
    Eight little Bettmans
    Seven ‘lil psychopaths
    Six senses tingling
    Five subpoenas
    Four flat tires
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the ninth day of Christmas,
    Nine Fehr’s a-lying
    Eight little Bettmans
    Seven ‘lil psychopaths
    Six senses tingling
    Five subpoenas
    Four flat tires
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the tenth day of Christmas,
    Ten owners leaping
    Nine Fehr’s a-lying
    Eight little Bettmans
    Seven ‘lil psychopaths
    Six senses tingling
    Five subpoenas
    Four flat tires
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    A lockout and a bad knee

On the eleventh day of Christmas,
    Eleven players skating

Seven ‘lil psychopaths
    Six senses tingling
    Five subpoenas
    Four flat tires
    Three little pigs
    Two Visa bills and
    and a lockout and a bad knee

4. Boomer says:

Subban + brossoit FTW!
    WJC is gonna be VERY good this year!

5. Mike D says:

Passing this along…..

Robert Rice ‏@SeriousFan09

Alain Berger rejecting his ECHL assignment. Hmmm…

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

ESPN did a nice story of Blake Geoffrion’s college buddy J.J. Watt, seems like a great guy. Was interesting when Blake got injured, the next weekend Watt had a special celebration planned if he got a QB sack to show support for Blake.

7. commandant says:

PK found Phil Kessel in Toronto.

Seems Phil is a little shy for PK’s video camera.

Some might say he’s lacking balls.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

8. Habilis says:

So I think everyone can agree that a longer CBA is good for all parties concerned, which means that the only real stumbling block left is the 5/7 year contract limit.

I have been thinking about this and I wonder if some sort of “Franchise Player” system could be the solution. Not one like the NFL has, but rather one where each team has the opportunity to sign one designated player to a longer term than the max, say up to 12 years or some such. Every team would have the option and once your team has signed one such contract you can’t sign another until that player is off your roster, but you could get more by trade. So, you would probably have between 20 and 40 players on these types of deals at any one time (factoring in trades). That seems about right for the number of players in the NHL currently signed to very long terms (22 players are currently on contracts of 8 or more years).

Obviously this system would have to be grandfathered in somewhow but I think it would at least address the concerns that the PA has about the middle class. Whether or not the owners would bite is another story.

Am I nuts?

9. HabFab says:

Remember when the world was a nicer place and we were all full of hope and optimism….Yeah, I’m talking about last summer and remember this bonny lass from down under who filled us all with… well you will shortly…enjoy!

10. Sean Bonjovi says:

Why is Stu Cowan posting stories about Boston Bruins prospects?

• Bill J says:

This particular Bruins prospect came from a Habs fan household ?

World junior talk is still better then no talk ?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Because people where whining that no real hockey stories were being posted (fantasy games, flashback to 1992-93) ?”

They’ve been posting these fantasy game, and 92/93 flashback stories because they’re easy to write. It’s a lazy way to fill space, and IMO it’s evidence that the sports department at the Montreal Gazette is out of touch with its readers. This story about some Bruins draft pick isn’t an improvement on those other stories. its just another example of the same flawed thinking.

11. commandant says:

He will be Canada’s #1, no could about it

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Riga Fraction says:

I’d say there’s plenty of doubt…. have you seen Owen Sound play this season yet? Binnington is probably the favourite heading into camp, albeit a slight favourite.

• Boomer says:

I got Brossoit in #2, but any combination of these guys is A ok by me :) very talented goalies this year

• commandant says:

I have seen Binnington… but Belleville is in first place despite being one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. Subban has been everything that was advertised and more.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

Belleville plays in a much crappier division.

Binnington’s Owen Sound Attack would be almost undefeated this season were it not for having to play Guelph, London and Kitchener. As good as Subban has been, his only advantage is that he has been advertised while Binnington was not.

The Bulls are playing full out defensive hockey, trying to choke the other teams into submission. Subban is an outstanding goaltender, but I don’t give him the benefit of the doubt for playing on such a low scoring team. That low scoring is a direct consequence of a conscious decision to throw their whole game plan at stopping the other team’s offence.

12. frontenac1 says:

Roman Hamrlik on NHL XM Radio today saying,”I was misinterpreted.I have always supported and will continue to support the Guys and the Union”. There ya go Amigos. Saludos!

13. Habilis says:

I still can’t believe he’s a Bruin.

First first ever for me. Rock on.

• Habs_4_ever says:

If he wasn’t a Subban, do you think the Bruins would still have drafted him?

————————
      “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

• petefleet says:

He’s a long way from being anything. There were some outstanding junior goalies who didn’t do jack in the NHL. He might be one of them….and he might not. Point is, I have a whole bucket of wait-and -see for this kid.
      I will agree that to date, he has been a pretty good prospect. Let’s hope he doesn’t pull a Fleury in the biggest games this holiday. That would really suck for this talent laden team.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

• frontenac1 says:

Ian has seen play up there with the Bulls. I would love to get his opinion.
        Hello Ian ……

The fact he is already on his way to being the starting goalie for Canada in WJC tourney makes me think he isn’t a long way from being something. Yes he still may not be an NHL star, but in the scheme of things, he has already achieved a great deal.

I wish he wasn’t a Bruin, but hard not to like the kid.

• petefleet says:

Agreed but there is a very long list of kids who make the team and that is it…that’s the hi light of there career. I’m not saying that’s what going to happen, I’m just saying don’t count the SC rings just yet. He’s got a long road ahead of him and for the record I do believe he’ll be a good NHL goalie.

******************************************