Making the case for Carbo

Carbo
Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan thinks the Canadiens should re-hire the man who coached the team to a 104-point season not so very long ago.
“I definitely want to go back behind a (NHL) bench, and I think Montreal is a great place for that,” Guy Carbonneau told Cowan.

Cowan’s column

Red Fisher on P.K.

Pat Hickey on disgruntled Habs fans

Josh Freed’s take on the coaching carousel

Dave Stubbs on the concussion epidemic

And if you can bear to watch it, the Benoit Pouliot highlight-reel goal:

1. Frank2468 says:

I wonder how long before Pouliot turns in to the typical Bruins a**hole?

2. The Dude says:

Santa ,I just want Thierren for just one game as coach so that after he can do that ” I’ve never seen a team so soft !”speech….It’s not much to ask, lol

3. rogieshan says:

It’s not a fair argument, but Carbonneau’s last coaching job was with the Canadian under-18 team at 2010 World Championship and he almost ‘led’ them to the relegation pool.

4. duffy says:

Pouliot has more goals than Cammaleri,how sick is that.Whats he make about 5 million less.

• PureGuava says:

Yep – a 4th overall draft choice that the habs refused to let play through his rough spots and develop.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
      - Robert Anton Wilson

5. Neutral says:

There’s nothing wrong with cunneyworth coaching – give him some players that can play tough and score – they don’t have to be goons and we’ll have a team again in Montreal – this team is too small – too soft – and most of them are injury prone – when you’re injury prone – you don’t hit and you don’t want to be hit that’s why we have a soft team – they have all the talent in the world – but it’s no good when you know what you are and you’re looking over your shoulder all the time – that’s our problem – start building with tough good scoring players and we’ll have a parade in Montreal – until, 24 will be the last number most of us will remember…..

6. SnowManHabs85 says:

Is there any news update on Ryan White’s injury? Anyone?

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

7. Bripro says:

All I want for Christmas is sipping Guinness in front of the TV watching a Habs’ victory.
    I don’t care if it’s ugly, just a W.
    Is that too much to ask?

For some reason I am not adverse to Carbo, that was a highly dysfunctional dressing room. As others have pointed out perhaps he and BG can have a chat or maybe a walk along the St. Lawrence.

• Ton says:

but he showed his inexperience to resolve situations and was to upfront………..you got to be able to shelter information to the press….he press conferences in french were brutal…..”he kept repeating i don;t know what to do anymore” …..I don’t think he’s head coach material……its an art….its a management skill that is needed more so than a hockey skill!

I agree, he was extremely inexperienced at the time for the NHL. I guess the question is, how much has learned from that experience in order to handle it differently now.

I know it is hard to believe everything BGL says, but he had commented that Carbo would read the internet and all the papers to see what was being said of him. Would hope if that was true he will have learned from that also.

• Ton says:

you know carbo wanted BGL!! Gainey didn’t! sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for. carbo is not head coach material or he would have had a job by now!! its going to hard, who is the perfect candidate even its a second time around>my opinion I will get shot for this>Mario Tremblay…….forever will the roy thing hang over him but if I were to return a coach it would be him or julien anyday!

• Chris says:

Carbo also DIDN’T want Price in Montreal that first season, but was over-ruled by Gainey on that one.

• Bripro says:

In this morning’s Gazette article, he says that he’s learned from that experience.
      And he led them to #1 in the East.
      Why Gainey got rid of him was beyond me, but I believe if they don’t want to give RC a chance, then Carbo would be a very good alternative.
      All the best for the holidays, and a Wonderful New Year to you and your family, Gerry.

9. WestHab says:

Funny Carbo didn’t communicate in either langauage.

10. HabNut69 says:

Hey guys, just a little stat of interest – we have the same number of points right now as we did at the same point in the season 2 years ago – we squeezed into the playoffs on the last day and went 3 rounds that year…

There is always hope. As my late father used to say, “God likes the Montreal Canadiens”.

I don’t know any of you very well but I hope you all have a great Christmas holidays. Joyeux Noël from Forest, Ontario!!

11. HabsFansince49 says:

Merciful God! How low have we fallen?
    Now we want Carbo back…
    “At least it’s a white Christmas” header truly reflects the utter devastation of this team.
    Give Montreal the best gift of all, Mr. Molson – fire everyone in management including coaching staff and keep Gainey and cronies away from the Bell Centre operation. Give us hope!

12. Top Corner says:

Carbo…..Muller….Roy….Damphousse…..

Does it ALWAYS have to be someone from the ’93 stanley cup winning HABS thats gonna save this team….??? LMAO

Have a merry Christmas everyone. Its my 30th bday today , and my sole wish was directed towards the HABS…so i hope it comes to be. It’s a mess right now but at least all the issues that needed to be addressed will finally be dealt with. Right ?!?!?

hohoho Merry Christmas and Joyeux Noel my friends !!

13. Canayens says:

Don’t worry guys, anytime anyone exposes himself (willingly or not) in the media as the next coach/GM, chances are he’ll never become one.

Did any geniuses knew in the past that Burns, Demers, Houle/Tremblay, Vigneault, Therrien, Julien, (I don’t count Carbo cause he was named assistant to Gainey), Martin, Conneyworth would be coaches BEFORE it happened?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good point. I remember the early eighties when Bernard Geoffrion had to step down, and the replacement coach had to be chosen. The call-in shows in Montreal talked about nothing else, and three out of four callers had this idea that the Canadiens should hire as co-coaches Don Cherry and Jacques St-Jean. The calls were carbon copies of each other: “Don Cherry should be in charge of motivating the players, and Jacques St-Jean would take care of the technical aspects.”

The Canadiens called the press conference and pulled Bob Berry out of left field, no one had brought up his name ever, whether in print or on the radio.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Canayens says:

I was not conscious of the Habs before 1987, but I can imagine the same type of “carbon copy” calls about who should be the coach back then are comparable to today’s people calling for Roy, Carbo because they heard everyone else throwing the same names around.

Don Cherry as a Habs alumni? LOL

14. The Dude says:

Merry Christmas and a Happy Festivus for the Restofus! And blow up this Habs team….KaaaBoom!

15. Josh says:

For the love of god, no. That 104 point season had nothing to do with Carbo because everyone was having career years which made up for his terrible decisions behind the bench.

If I see him behind the bench again then I’m just moving on from this joke of an organization.

16. WestHab says:

Carbo? Really and a earlier this week francois Gangnon suggested Michel Therrein. Reminds me of a bar I would frequent as a younger man “Deja-Vu”.

Merry Christmas to all Hab Fans. No matter their command of English or French.

17. Ozmodiar says:

Art Shell for head coach!!

Do it!!

18. HabFab says:

BrianWilde twitter
    GM for McGuire b/c coaching is altruistic job in today’s NHL. That’s why I don’t like Roy as coach. Ego must be tamed for player’s sake.

Brian Wilde is pushing McGuire for GM…thought makes me shudder!

19. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    Merry Christmas to all of you. Let’s hope for a real turn around second half of the season for the Habs. The players are there and I still think it is doable.

20. Mark C says:

Forget Carbo, shouldn’t the Habs just wait until Guy “the great” Boucher gets fired?

• showey47 says:

If boucher can’t win games with a team filled with star power like the lightning he isn’t going to do jack with our team. I said last year his system relies on having a strong powerplay which i believe was top 2 or 3. This year their PP isn’t much better then ours which is why they are where they are in the standings,even behind us,lol. As great as tampa was made to look last season 2/3rds of tampa’s roster were minus players which says their 5 on 5 play was pretty weak.

21. gumper says:

I agree with those who say no more coaching changes till summer. This organization looks ridiculous enough as is without doing any more flip flops till then. Before that point, however, Mr. Molson must make a decision about PG., going into the draft this year, as it’s critical that GM has the guy in place who will be his gm for the foreseeable future. No way should a lame duck gm be allowed to start the rebuilding process. By the time we reach the trade deadline we’ll know a couple of things for sure. One, we’ll know if RC can whip anything out of this sad sack team. Two, we’ll know which players are committed to the team, going forward. There are so many questions to be answered in the interim, and I imagine GM does not have many waking moments when he is not pondering them. Questions like: Is this the group he wants making the decision about who to select with a possible top five draft pick? How do we go about unloading the underachieving, overpaid members of our top 6? Which are the critical pieces to retain, going forward? How do we solve our chronic injury problems? How do we get the team bigger, faster and tougher? etc. etc. etc. Personally, all I want for Christmas is an owner who will bring a management team in with a proven track record for building a team the right way, from the draft up, and with the patience and foresight to allow its young players to develop, instead of acting as the farm team for the rest of the league. I think after five years, it would be hard to make a case for holding onto Gainey, Gauthier and Timmins. Time to clean house and start over again.

• JF says:

Good post. I agree with everything yo say, except that I think Timmins is doing a good job. But no Gainey and Gauthier. And patience is key with the coach as well as the players, especially if he’s inexperienced.

22. Number31 says:

C’mon…Carbo?! If he was so set on being a coach, he should have gone out hard looking for a coaching gig. And when he did: Not getting Team Canada to pretty much it’s worst finish in years. Not taking over his own junior team with barely a season left (who were doing fine thank you very much) then resigning. Instead, all I see is him sitting around on TV or playing a coach on some hockey reality Quebec vs Montreal or whatever show.

Everyone wanted him fired, then when he was it was “oh poor Carbo, he shouldn’t have been fired” and “Guy!Guy!Guy!” in the Bell Centre. Same with Martin. Everyone wanted him gone, and now that’ he’s gone all I hear is “oh Martin, he was a good coach!” Fail.

I’d rather have HC Davos’ coach if you’re going to find a real coach for this team. And hopefully Cunney can go back to Hamilton if he doesn’t find anything once people have run him out of this town…

• Canayens says:

So true about the typical schizophrenic reaction before/after a coach firing. Also do we want another coach who does not speak to his players behind the bench again?

Remember just before Carbo was fired he depressingly said “j’sais plus quoi faire” in one of the disastrous loss post game conference. He lost the room, and his confidence.

Watching that clip of Pouliot scoring for Boston. Know way he could play for us or Martin! He does things at the wrong end of the rink.

Do you know how many goals for, that we have given away in players to other NHL teams under the Martin defense first era.???. Enough that we would be in first place in our conference.!

• HardHabits says:

It’s called playing for a well built team. Boston are a power house. Habs need a clean sweep from top to bottom. Maybe keep Timmins and that’s all. Gainey has to go.

• LL-not the hockey player says:

Happy Holidays Ian!!

Pouliot and Wiz, I liked them both.

• arcosenate says:

What really bugs me about letting Pouliot go is that his last “offense” under Martin was taking a penalty for smoking a Bruin. We can’t have that now can we? It’s riduculous how they quit on him, and Latendresse, for whome we have nothing to show after trading up in the draft to get him. Blah, it’s annoying looking at the mistakes, especially the lack of draft picks after trading them away for short term solution guys who are all playing elsewhere. 5 draft picks in 2011 and what 6 in 2009? hardly the way to build a team…

• Mark C says:

Benny is on pace for a 21 goal season, under JM Benny scored at a 19 goal pace.

I want Carbo back so I can whip out my Carbozo avatar again.

25. TomNickle says:

I don’t know how I feel about a possible Carbo return.

I still don’t know how I feel about his dismissal. Did he do or say something we haven’t heard about? Probably. Did Bob Gainey get some bad information from a player or players on the team? Probably. It speaks volumes that they don’t speak. Obviously some miscommunication happened there. These are two very reasonable men who have always put winning ahead of themselves.

As dysfunctional as this franchise has been over the last year, the irony is that the best thing for this franchise might be for these two men to iron out what the hell happened and come back to their respective positions with the team.

Our hockey operations department has been doing a great job of scouting amateurs and pros alike. I really wouldn’t be comfortable with our scouts being shown the door. Hopefully the person who replaces Gauthier keeps that department intact.

• HardHabits says:

Gainey fired Carbo because Carbo was starting to favour Halak over Price. The same reason he fired Julien except he favoured Huet over Theodore.

Gainey has to go.

If Jacques Lemaire was available and interested in staying for at least 5 years I would say hire him as GM.

• TomNickle says:

So you’re saying that Gainey had the foresight to see that Price was going to be the better goalie long term and that he should be fired for that?

• HardHabits says:

Nice revisionism. At the time Halak was playing better than Price. You play your better goalie. Just like St. Louis is doing with Elliot right now.

• TomNickle says:

In what way is recognizing someone’s foresight revisionism?

You trash him at every turn and fail to concede that he was right when an overwhelming majority was wrong.

• HardHabits says:

TN. Where did I say that Price wasn’t going to project to be a good goalie and possibly better than Halak long term?

I stated that at the time of Carbo’s dismissal he was leaning on the hot hand, which at the time was Halak, and he got fired for it. It took them until the 2009-2010 season play-off run to realize that you go with the hot hand.

26. showey47 says:

No thanks to carbo,his 104 point season came when we had a miracle of having virtually zero injuries. Look at what happened when we had any form of adversity. We he gorges and obyrne playing wing on the 4th line, 4th liners playing 2nd line minutes. Who do you think was mainly responsible for streit leaving because carbo would rather use him as a winger instead of a defenceman? There is a reason why he has been unemployed in the nhl ever since. He also led to our U-18 team to its worst finish in history. How do you take what is argueable the greatest pool of u-18 hockey talent and finish in 7th?

• TomNickle says:

He was very young as a coach and very green in terms of experience. I’d like to see him prove somewhere that he’s learned from his mistakes. But we could do worse, in fact, we are doing worse.

• showey47 says:

Why hasn’t carbo even taken an ahl gig? Is it because he feels above that or does nobody even want him to coach their team at that level?

• HardHabits says:

I think Carbo could get an AHL gig easy enough. Why should he? He’s getting paid for not coaching the Habs right now not to mention getting some nice kick-backs from RDS and CBC appearances.

Would you work as a dish washer if you were getting paid as a chef cuisiniere for sitting at the bar with drinks on the house just for being there?

27. LL-not the hockey player says:

CarbNo.

If you’re going to rehire, hire coaches who have winning records since they left Montreal, and enough time has passed to erase old memories

I see several people shamelessly auditioning for the part in the media, while undercutting RC.

• showey47 says:

It looks like certain groups of people with their own agenda are afraid that RC might succeed if given a fair shot.

• LL-not the hockey player says:

Yes, watching RDS and reading the tabloids here, hypocrisy and backstabbing seems to be the norm.

The funny thing is, as soon as CarbNo, Therrien, etc. fail, they will be just as critical, and deny that’s what they pushed for.

28. DorvalTony says:

Kramer Gauthier and Bob Sacamano Gainey. “Is that a Titleist?”

——————————–
    “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

29. 24moreCups says:

As long as Carbo grows his stach back he can be coach.

Happy and safe holidays to everyone and their family.

30. DorvalTony says:

We need and deserve the best GM in the world and the best coach in the world. Period.

——————————–
    “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

• Habsrule1 says:

You know…you’re right. Someone else mentioned this, but this is the Montreal Canadiens. Form a committee. It could be of people already employed in Hockey Operations….and get them to find the Absolute best GM and coach for this team. In 3 years if the team is not at least somewhat better, fire everyone.

Go Habs Go!!

I am going to church at midnight, and I will be sure to ask the BIG GUY to help guide our boys from behind the bench! I’ll know if He heard me next game.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL FROM IAN
    SANTA IS A CANADIAN–click link

32. holypricehabsman says:

The way I see it, right now, we don’t need a fantastic coach, there’s not much anyone can do with this team of mismatched players anyways! Let’s get rid of PG, and get a GM who knows what he’s doing and is experienced with rebuilding a team. Then as fans, we need to understand a rebuild takes time and be patient. I say 3 years minimum before we are in great contention again.

And remember when Gainey stepped down, his press conference said that PG is supposed to be temporary GM? What ever happened to that? I mean temporary is starting to lose it’s meaning on this team!

Merry Christmas everyone, see you all Tuesday!

33. Hammer says:

Kind of funny, as soon as Molson was cornered with the language issue all the media types start wanting to bring back the retreads that didn’t make it in Habville in the first place. Loved Carbo as a player, liked him as a coach, but the Habs have to think outside of the box and move on.This may be tough as 75% of the good candidates are automatically disqualified because of language. It is starting to remind me of the dark days of the early 1980′s or after 1994 when mediocre and missing the playoffs were a regular occurance. I am always amazed at the revisionists that rule the internet, who when Carbo was released thought it was great, only to want him back today. Is Jean Peron still available!!?

34. Ton says:

my candidate for GM (if he would want it)

bi lingual (from north west quebec)
    proven track record of rebuilding franchises
    great management team builder
    great drafting record
    won a cup!!! it was his team
    experienced, statesmen, could dangle the press
    was a good hockey player

Dale Tallon in a heart beat!

• steve17 says:

I agree he would be good, but Florida would not let him go! If they did, they would want have the Hbs roster…lol

Habfan17

• Ton says:

Dale is from my hometown. I use to caddy for his dad at the local golf course. i doubt he would go to montreal even if available. think about winning team in south florida!!!! woh the sun, minimal press, stay Dale stay!

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Carbo’s record as NHL head coach (all in Montreal):

124 wins 83 losses 23 OT losses 271 points

For 1.2 points per game.

Mike Babcock has 1.28 ppg.

Others:

Claude Julien: 1.2
    Alain Vignault: 1.14
    Joel Quenneville: 1.24
    Ron Wilson: 1.08
    Jacques Lemaire: 1.13

Randy Cunneyworth: 0

(OK that was a cheap shot)

Bottom line is Carbo had a very good record with the Habs, and everyone agrees that the mess in ’08 wasn’t on him.

Nothing against Cunneyworth but if he was our powerplay coach prior to taking over maybe he’s just not very good?

36. BKAK72 says:

When you read the Cowan article (for those that remember) step back to that late 1980s roster that had CARBO centering GAINEY.

Now who in their right mind would ever believe that the latter would fire the former, and then quit the team himself 12 months later?

I loved Gainey as a player (Carbo as well).

I think Gainey was under some exceptional mental duress to unload Carbo in that 2009-10 season. Simply crazy.

Someday, I do hope these guys will make amends. Quite sad.

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

• Danno says:

Bob Gainey reads the papers just like we do. Maybe this is an opportunity for one of them to pick up the phone and work things out. Who knows? They might both feel better about each other afterwards.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Strummer says:

At the ceremony when they retired Gainey’s jersey, Gainey referred to Carbo and Jarvis as his “heroes”.

It is a shame how it all ended.

______________________________________________________

Will the HAB’S get snookered like this.?

38. slapshot777 says:

I’d say ride it out with RC and see how it plays out. If the Habs still suck at seasons end, then you know RC will be gona as well as PG. Start over from scratch with two good strong people at both positions. My advice, would be to see if they can pry Jim Nill away from Detroit, I think he would make an excellent GM, then see if they could also get Mike Babcock to come over as well. He might be willing to look at a change of scenery and also being a former McGill Grad, he might just take up on that offer from Nill seeing how they have worked together in Detroit.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Yes…We need a new direction. Out with the old, in with the new. See what RC can do. If he doesn’t fit into future plans after season’s end, so be it. We need to clean house. We need a new GM with a new philosophy, not more recycling and same old, same old.

39. Strummer says:

A little Christmas Clash

______________________________________________________

40. Fansincebirth says:

What a bloody mess this team is in right now. Some players not playing to their potential, others trying to do too much and no cohesion. A GM who seems lost in a big man’s game.

A coach fired because his system sucked and another one promoted to head coach only to learn that he shouldn’t get too comfortable because the poor bastard only speaks English. Despite not having to speak French to his players and not being able to speak French to the media, he will be replaced by a coach who doesn’t have to speak French to the players but MUST to the ever demanding media and to appease the radical, rabid separatists and fans who think that speaking French is more important than winning.

Now, he has to endure the daily headlines of who is going to replace him behind the bench and what a laughable group it is that are in the lineup.

Coach needed – Please send your resume to the Molson family. Ability to speak French is imperative, coaching experience not necessary.

Complete and absolute suckitude!

Merry Christmas to all!

41. Propwash says:

All the best to you and yours everyone!

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

42. steve17 says:

Habfan17

I do think Jacques Martin needed to go. He may be a very good coach, but I don’t think his system suits the players he had. I also think that Pierre Gauthier needed to go to, and Bob Gainey!

It is time for a completely new direction and I know it is easier for Geoff Molson to do a proper search during the off season, but their are some strong candidates out there now, and Carolina had proven that you can get your man, even during the season, by hiring Kirk Muller.

At this point, I think Serge Savard should be given the position of President and GM. Even if he elects to find a new GM at the end of the season, he has proven to be a very good GM and is a solid business person and he understands what it means to be a Hab! He also has a great relationship with the Molson’s.

No offence to Cunneyworth, it is not his fault that he was thrown under the proverbial bus, but unless Savard has a better coach in mind, I would give Carbonneau another chance. Gainey did pull the rug out from under his feet too fast. Carbo had some success.

Patrick Roy could be hired as an assitant GM to learn under Savard and eventually replace him as GM. Roy has done a very good job as coach and GM in the QHL, but this is the NHL and I think he would benefit from working under Savard.

Muller was great with the Habs and if Carbo did bring him in, cudos to Carbo. If he is smart enough to know he needs assistants to fill in where he has weaknesses, then good on him.

To round things out, bring Big Bird back to coach the defence! I don’t subscribe to the thought that the coaches have to have been Canadiens, but in this case, these are three individuals that have passion, understand what it means, and takes to be a Canadien, and have the credentials to successfully run and coach this team. Savard had success before the gong show started and the owners decided to hand everything over to people with no experience.
    Yes, the have identified coaches who would be successful, Julien, Vigneault, and Therrien, but they needed to gain experience and the inexperienced people who hired them did not have the backbone to allow them to grow in Montreal, now they are successful elsewhere.

We , the fans and media,need to show patience and support, once things are sorted out. Molson on the other hand, needs to make the changes now!!!

There are some prospects in the system, having 5 players in the World Juniors is pretty darn good; Beaulieu, Bournival, Gallagher, Priebyl, and Tindordi! There are some in the US Universities that should help, Quailer, Kristo, and Pateryn. The farm has a few like Nash that will help.

I do believe that this year is a wash and that as well as the club did in the playoffs the last couple of years, the team is not close to be being serious contenders. I think some size and attitude are required. Eller, Desharnais, LeBlanc and Nokelainen should be the centres for the rest of this season and Plekanec, Gomez and Kostitsyn should be moved once the team starts to play as a team.

The Habs could use those players to get some young players such as Beach from Chicago and Petrecki from San Jose. Maybe they will be lucky and a team will take Kaberle at the deadline! Weber could also be used to get players that are missing.

Time to move forward! We are counting on you Geoff Molson to return this club to the franchise it has been in the past and to honour the tradition and past glory. It is time to win another cup!

• Danno says:

Very interesting!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Ton says:

you may be living in the past……….good plan but most these guys are under contract or old and rich…………..roy will never be a strong gm he has said it, he’s a coach at heart………I am not sold he would be the right coach for the canadiens……

43. BKAK72 says:

Merry Christmas HIO ‘friends’

I don’t understand how so many Canadiens coaches have taken the fall for the roster decisions of a GM. Somebody please share with me when this club was considered a serious contender for a Stanley Cup in the pre-season? You would have to go all the way back to 1988-89 for that answer.

Let’s not kid ourselves anymore. The best move will be to hire the best GM without prejudice to language (as we did in the past). I am not on the payroll to answer that question, certainly nobody in the last twenty years has come close to Serge Savard.

IMO this roster is toast for another three years because of dumb contract commitments. No matter what happens a midget is a midget and they’ll wear down in the brutality of the playoff.

Therefore G. Molson should:
    1. Hire a search committee to find the best GM (like MLSE did did for Burke)
    2. Task the new GM to evaluate and unload this garbage in 2012/13
    3. Rebuild throughout 2013 to 2015
    4. Contend for a Cup in 2016

That’s a five year game plan.

A champion is not made overnight.

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

44. HabFanSince72 says:

That Pouliot goal was lucky. Both the deke and the shot.

And he is on pace for a 23 pt season.

And I’m not bitter either.

45. I am getting really tired of clicking on articles and being told that I cannot access them because I do not subscribe to the Gazette. To the publisher of the Gazette, if you don’t want people like me to access your articles, don’t put links to them on the site I use to read about my Habs. If you continue to do this I will simply change sites- there are a lot of other sites that I can go to without being harassed to subscribe to your paper.
    Ch EJ

46. Arrow77 says:

This town has officially gone insane. The reason Carbo got the job in the first place was because he was friend with the GM. He had no experience in coaching and it was pretty damn obvious he had none.

He first refused to go coach in the minors after he got fired because he thought he was too big to go there. After he finally realised no one would hire him (not being called for a single interview will do that), he finally hired himself to coach the Sagueneens. He quit after only one non-impressive season.

Let’s face it: that guy is not a coach and never was. He’s just a famous ex-player who’s missing the limelight!

• Ton says:

you make a valid point, for years we hire part of the alumni and what are those people going to do, bring in their friends that they can trust, maybe! we need a decision maker who don’t care about public opinion (gainey can do when he wanted but did get sidetracked) i am opposed to Damphouse because the team will be surrounded with 1993 alumni that don’t have experience. hard jobs to fill!!

47. piter says:

In reading one of the articles, he said a trade was unlikely, due to the players underachieving, and being overpaid. Who y’all think the players are thats most likely to be traded, or who were the players he was most likely referring to? I assume Cammy is one of them.

48. LL-not the hockey player says:

Merry Christmas to all you wonderful and crazy (in a good way) people on HIO. :)

Le Sucktitude this season has been less painful thanks to all of you.

Here’s to a winning second half for our beloved team!

49. fun police says:

Hiring carbo would be such a huge mistake. What a backwards idea. I guess time heals all wounds. Have they forgotten how often carbo was out coached? Do we remember smolinski on 5-3 because he was a right handed shot? Carbo invented the “let’s dress 8 defenseman” And play two of them as wingers. Do you remember dandenault playing wing?
    Why do we have to go backwards to hire? If carbo is the best French speaking coach available then the French are in trouble. Ridiculous.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ok. You may be right, but bringing up that a very inexperienced coach was out-coached is kinda weak. I think that actually makes the point of re-hiring him. He was not really given a fair shake to learn and improve. If the problem is hiring inexperienced coaches in the first place, then you’re right. If anyone is ok with hiring inexperienced coaches, then we have to alow them time to learn and make mistakes.

Go Habs Go!!

• showey47 says:

Or when carbo took what was probably the most talented pool of u18 hockey players available in the world and led them to an embarassing 7th place. Or when he decided to embarass the habs powerplay unit by continuing to play lapierre,kostopulous and whatever other 4th liners we had on the PP. Too bad he didn’t realize the only players he was embarrassing were the players he put out there.

• Habsrule1 says:

His record indicates that he was not all bad, but you bring up some very good points.

Go Habs Go!!

50. novahab says:

I thnk with the mess this team is in Carbo would be a great choice at this time. Its time to admitt you made a mistake but offer Cunneyworth something just don’t cut him loose. My god this is just not fair to him trying to straighen out this mess and with everything else. I wanted Roy but and at the beginning of the season not now its time to being in exprience and Carbo is the pefect fit.

51. Kimberly2u says:

Thanks John, if I have any room left in my stomach I’ll be right over with booze….:)

52. tony d says:

I’m surprised Pouliot didn’t trip over the blue line like he used to do with us. Watched Ribeiro score for Dallas last night and was reminded how many of our players leave the Habs and soar on other teams, (scratching head)
    Anyway Merry Christmas fellow HIOers and maybe Santa will bring us a string of wins in the New Year. Cheers!

Wanted, bilingual coach, experience not necessary, will train.
    Contact: wingnprayer@canadiens.com

• piter says:

I don’t get too disappointed when I see ex-Habs doing well with other teams. I feel that the time spent playing in Montreal gave them the experience, the drive to compete, and the getting accustomed to playing with the high fan expectations, that a player needs to excel in the game. I like to think that we(the Habs) have a big part in the success that these players are having. The time spent playing for the Blue, Blanc, et Rouge can only help their game in the long run.

53. PureGuava says:

Meh, I’d take Carbo back at this point….Hell, i’d take Julien, Therien, and Vignieault back too!

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

54. Danno says:

Coming soon to a theatre near you:

A Xmas Carol starring Pierre Ghostier as Ebernezer Scrooge. Also starring G Laraque, S Gomez & Nail Yakupov as the Ghosts of Xmas Past, Present & Future.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

55. Mavid says:

oh thanks clay…you mean right were it says “click to edit” LOL

second place is just the first loser

56. Mavid says:

the two C C’s love it…i was getting very excited just reading about it…imagine if it really happened..whoa….Merry Christmas indeed…

second place is just the first loser

57. Mavid says:

ooops….poor..not pure…

second place is just the first loser

58. Mavid says:

negative nellies…i recall a Pittsburg team sitting in 10th pre xmas…coach change..and vola…a stanley cup…not to say that we would win the cup..but anything can happen…I am all for giving Carbo a second shot..he admitted he was a pure communicator..people learn from their mistakes..perhaps he has…and how about the chicken…I liked him when he played for us….but maybe he is just happier being a “gulp” Bruin….
    Merry Christmas everyone….lets hope they kick some Senaturd ass…on Tuesday…

second place is just the first loser

59. Clay says:

I loved Carbo as a player, and I liked him as a coach. I think he would be good here…

But, I think even printing this story just days after we named a new coach is disrespectful to both our coach and the team. So with all due respect to Carbo – F*** Carbo and this whole language BS. We have a new coach, so let’s try to get behind him. This makes the organization look like a joke.

__________________________
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

60. Canayens says:

Is he still another coach who does not talk to players behind the bench?

61. smiler2729 says:

A lot of us here have been saying for awhile that it’d be nice to see what Carbo could do with this version of Habs cuz the Euro version he had were a heartless bunch (except Saku)…

Freakin’ Ben Pouliot eh.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

62. Kimberly2u says:

I just wanted to wish all of you here a very Merry Christmas and spend some special time with your families.

63. Habsbill24 says:

For those who write on this site that the Habs are only a few points out of the playoffs, as we wake up this morning, the Habs having played the most games in the conference at 36 are now SIX points out of the playoffs and must climb over 4 teams to get in. Folks, the Playoffs this season are not going to happen. Time to think of the future and plan for next season and beyond.

• Ton says:

anything is possible, we have seen teams pull it back together in the second half to play .650 I don’ think so this team has deep issues that go back quite some time. even in wins they were outplayed. the whole thing including identity and style of play needs to reshaped. unfortunately when you have 30 plus other GM’s that know the forumula is building through the draft how do you get the players you need to win fast!? not possible its going to be a long road once more.

• Habsrule1 says:

Hey, we may not make the playoffs, but until the team is mathematically eliminated, I will continue to cheer them on.

We can still win while thinking about the future.

Go Habs Go!!

• dr. gesundheit says:

Agreed (again)

64. G-Man says:

Merry Christmas Hab fans! And a special shout out to Boone, Stubbs, Stu, Pat and Kevin for giving us all a site to gnash our teeth! :)

Carol at the Bell

At sco-o- ring
    Or sto-o-pping.
    Pucks in our net
    Fans seeing red
    From ev’rywhere
    Filling the air

But, oh when they score,
    Our spirits soar,

On, on they play
    No more to say
    Habs have to play
    Better than they.

Ding, dong, ding, dong.

65. JohnBellyful says:

Twas the night before Christmas, when arose a great clatter
    Hab fans by the thousands asked: ‘What is the matter?
    The team that we love plays as if they don’t care
    And now we are mired in a state of despair!’

‘They fired P. Pearn, then they fired J. Martin
    (Whose System was dull, whose offence was spartan)
    And then hired a coach who speaks English, not French
    The result, as expected, was a big language stench.’

Asleep on my fouton, I tossed and I turned
    Troubled by bad thoughts I once easily spurned:
    Are the Habs so atrocious they’ll bring nothing but grief?
    Is the crest that they wear now worse than a Leaf?

Tossing and turning I awoke with a start
    A noise down below! (No, it wasn’t a fart)
    It came from the living room, where an evergreen stood
    Covered in tinsel, as a Christmas tree should

Down the stairs I went tippytoe, no mouse did I stir
    And peeked round the corner, to see by the fir
    A large man in red costume, with a beard snowy white
    A little pink nose and eyes that shone bright

I reached for the broom to evict this intruder
    He cried: ‘I’m not from Vancouver, I’m not a mad looter!’
    I put down the broom and he put out his hand
    Saying: ‘So glad to meet you, Habs über-fan!’

‘I’ve come here at last to fulfil your wish long ago
    When you asked for a Cup, the 25th, yes, I know
    But with so many letters it takes years to get through them
    (Except from the bad ones, for those I say screw ‘em!).’

‘Your letter got buried in the deepest part of the pile
    I am here to say sorry and to restore your lost smile.’
    He reached into his sack and to my ample delight
    Pulled out a big defenceman who shoots from the right.

He bent over again and yanked up a winger
    Seven feet tall and lifts weights with a finger
    He dug deeper the next time and pulled out a stick
    Gripped by a rookie – the league’s number one pick.

I thanked him profusely as he made his departure
    (My crazed grin was no different from that of a March hare)
    ‘One more thing,” he shouted, ‘that will make your night merry
    The Canadiens’ new coach is the inimitable Don Cherry!’

❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ Happy HIOlidays, everyone! ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

66. HabNut69 says:

Is there really a rumour of a trade with CBJ?

What about Plekanec & Gionta for Umberger, Vermette and a draft pick?

I think we’d get cap space, additional size and some new blood. We could make Josh our new captain. Geez maybe that’s nuts but I’ve been into the egg nog early today.

• Habsrule1 says:

I don’t like the idea of trading either of those guys, and if we did, I’d want a better return even though they are not at their best right now.

Go Habs Go!!

• HabNut69 says:

Agreed, a better return would be nice, but CBJ doesn’t have any players that would really break the game open for us. I’m hoping if any trades happen they’ll be with a different team…

Go Habs

• Habsrule1 says:

How about Brassard and Umberger? I wouldn’t trade those 2 though.
          Who else might they take? Anyone know their needs? We have some young D that I’d be willing to part with.

Go Habs Go!!

• ABHabsfan says:

If you make trades with teams that are worse than yours, you get worse

67. davecessna says:

Nein, Nein, Nein, Nein, Nein!

68. I’d take Guy back in a heart beat. Gainey should have kept Carbo, especially since he knew all along that it wasn’t Carbo that sucked, it was the team – hence the blow-up. Keep Carbo and give him JM’s team and we’d probably still be the “Beast From the East” that we were in 07-08. Carbo’s one of the greatest defensive forwards in the history of the game but he coached an offensive system which gave us nice balanced approach. BGL is a whiny little b!tch and he and Kovy can open a B&B somewhere in the eastern townships for all I care. Neither of those two PASSENGERS are fit to carry Carbo’s jock strap.

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.

• Habsrule1 says:

Well said Crash.
      The fact that BG blew up the team proves that he didn’t think Carbo had much to work with. He should have done the blow up and kept Carbo around at least for a few more months to see how he fared with the new group.
      I always liked Gainey and thougt he did a decent job but his handling of Carbo is very puzzling.

Go Habs Go!!

• Canayens says:

When Gainey was named GM I was thinking finally, we have a GM who’ll be here for a permanent basis, who can weather the storms, who has the prestige and respect from the rest of the league and media. And on top of that he did a great job turning the team around both pre and post blow-up, despite some moves that were questionable (which GM didn’t have some of those?).

Carbo was fired after he started going openly “j’sais plus quoi faire” at the end of that barely sneaking into the playoff season after being 1st in the conference, Gainey just did something to salvage the season.

But what I found more puzzling, was that Laraque-Koivu-Kovalev (!?) line vs Boston after the he took over as coach.

69. Psycho29 says:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone at HI/O (Ok, even the ones who infuriate me at times! :-)

I predict things will get better in 2012 for our Glorieux. I have a feeling that even more changes are coming right after the holidays.

I still think that on paper we have a better team than what we’ve been seeing. It’s just too bad that the game is played on ice! ;-)

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree with you. This team is not as bad as they are playing. It seems we always seem to have everyone slumping together. We could use Gionta back at top form and with the right line combos we should be putting up some decent numbers.
      We miss Matkov and I even think White can make a bit of a difference here.
      The young defense are having their share of troubles, but if Cammalleri would have gotten a few more breaks this season, we may not be talking about tanking at all. For all the bashing he’s getting, he still has had many chances. They are just not finding the back of the net. If he and Plekanec come around in the new year, we’ll be fine.

Go Habs Go!!

70. badbalance says:

At least we scored 5 goals on a regular basis with Carbo, regardless of our D, I knew each game we had a chance of potting in 5 goals….

71. habstrinifan says:

Good morning everyone. It is Christmas Eve, and tomorrow the world will be granted salvation with the birth of the Saviour.

Today, you lucky souls, I come to save the rest of the season. You have to do nothing. Just sit back and enjoy!

Next game: The two C’S. Cunneyworth AND Carbonneau walk out arms around each otehr and go to the center spot behind the bench,,,exchange a few words and smiles. The crowd goes CRAZY! The protesters skulk away with stooopid looks.

Then the players file in. Each passes the two C’S and taps them with his stick. The place is rocking. Eerie ghost noises are heard from up high.

No other suits bhind the bench. Just the TWO C’s.

Forget next year for now! Forget last week for now! It’s CC hockey for the rest of the season. Let the playoffs come or not come! Hockey as a game of thrills and excitement in Montreal is BACK.

Who is head coach? Who is assistant? Who Cares? The CC’S are behind the bench NOW.

Two men, maybe treated with less than habitant honour in the recent past are now honourably treated. The growing taint is removed from the HABS gloss. All is Well!

I know you are loving it. Admit it! I have come up with ANOTHER BRILLIANT idea. Easy now… no need for genuflecting.. well ok if you feel you must.

Merry Christmas. I shall expect elevation to POSTER EMERITUS and status equivalent to Timo and John Bellyfull etc in the new year.

• HabNut69 says:

I think your egg nog is better than mine.

• G-Man says:

Love that thought. Gimme 2 CCs please! Merry Christmas, trini!

• JohnBellyful says:

Habsi’, it’s nice you want to join our exalted ranks but you have to pay your dues first. Literally. The first of every month. 50 cents a word for every post you put up the previous month. You’ll also need to have a police check, head check, bed check and cross check done before you’ll be allowed into the club. Once admitted, you’ll get a nice scroll.
      W
      H
      E
      E
      E
      E
      E
      E
      !
      Just like that one but better!
      See you in the new year.
      (Check with the wife to see if it’s okay to become a member. Some spouses haven’t handled it well seeing their partner achieve godlike status.)

72. Habsrule1 says:

Happy Holidays to the HIO family. We don’t always agree, but I learn a lot from many of you and I appreciate it.
    I like that story on Guy. Maybe he does deserve a second chance. His record was not all bad and he was just learning on the job.
    I think he’ll be a very good coach one day. I’m just not sure where.
    Here’s hoping the Habs get back on track Tuesday!

Go Habs Go!!

I love posting on Christmas Eve because it’s the one day of the year that my avatar is so apropos. Merry Christmas to all from 24 Cups and his beloved golden, Faith.

“If every day was just like Christmas, what a wonderful world this would be.” (Elvis)

74. Habfan10912 says:

I’d like to have Guy the player.

From my family to yours here’s wishing you a very blessed holiday season.

Same to you James, hope you and Chris and the rest of the family have a Joyous and Blessed Christmas. You folks got any snow down there? If the weather stays the same here, they may have a little problem making ice for the Bulldogs/Marlie outdoor game. Next Saturday New Years Eve has a longterm forecase of +7 Celsius.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Gerald. No snow here. Funny, we got about 8 inches around Holloween and its been like spring since. I hope the weather cools enough for good ice but I can do without the white stuff. Enjoy your day.

From my family to yours here’s wishing you a very blessed holiday season.

75. dr. gesundheit says:

Agreed. I really liked him as a player, but time to move on. We have a coach who hasn’t been given a chance yet to make much in the way of adjustments and we have a crappy team (so his options are limited). Give him some time. (what reasonable option do we have?).

76. PureGuava says:

Nahlsy, you were never my hero, but you are a terrible person.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

77. HabFab says:

I know it is wrong BUT, God I love it when you talk tough and dirty!!

78. otter649 says:

Carbo’s only coaching job since he was let go by Montreal has been coaching a junior team which he was part owner of unlike other coaches let go in the recent past who got hired by other NHL teams……

79. Habsrule1 says:

To be fair, most coaches do not get re-hired after their first stint in the NHL fails unless they prove themselves elsewhere. Our other coaches had head coaching experience in the minor leagues. Guy was hoping he may get a call from Dallas and when it didn’t happen, he decided to coach his team.
    Nothing wrong with that.