Audio: Lucic hearing hangs over Sabres

camera

An unmanned camera spies on the Buffalo Sabres’ Bell Centre morning skate Monday morning.
Stubbs photo

AUDIO: Coach Lindy Ruff | Paul Gaustad | Jhonas Enroth | Patrick Kaleta | Tomas Vanek | Josh Gorges | Max Pacioretty

The Buffalo Sabres scratch Tyler Myers for tonight’s game against the Canadiens, the high-profile defenceman a minus-6 over the last four games. Rookie goalie Jhonas Enroth, unbeaten since last Nov. 24 – then a sieve in the Sabres’ 1-0 loss to Pittsburgh, gets the call in goal for Buffalo.

The Sabres morning skate was overshadowed by the 1 pm NHL hearing for Boston Bruins’ Milan Lucic, who on Saturday splattered Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller and sent the all-star to an indefinite absence with a concussion. Miller was at the Bell Centre this morning, but unavailable to the media.

Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff on whether Lucic deserves a suspension for the hit:

“If he isn’t suspended, it just means that teams will be able to do exactly what Lucic did. Your goaltender can play the puck, we can run him over, we can hurt him, and all you get is a two-minute minor penalty. That is essentially what that means. You can concuss the other team’s goaltender. You can run him going whatever speed he was going, (Lucic) made no attempt to get out of the way. It’s fair game on goaltenders again.”

1. EricInStL says:

So Lucic ran at Miller. The big question is what is Buffalo gonna do the next time they play.

Action peak louder than words. So the puck is in Buffalo’s court.

When the bully is never challenged he continues to bully.

2. --Habs-- says:

Do you get the feeling the intelligence part of Lucic and other bruin player brains are big stains on some beds..

3. --Habs-- says:

I think a hockey player who is not a goon should have the right to crack a goon such as Lucic over the head with his stick without penalty if he feels threatened by the goon leveling the playing field.

4. Sal says:

No surprise, NHL Bush league gives the GOOiuns a pass, again!!
    Sal from the Hammer

5. scavanau says:

Did anyone REALLY expect discipline?

6. The HonestFan says:

Enough of the crying …..start loading up on goons !!!! Bruins will go with anybody… don’t bring up BGL….

7. RJ says:

Surprise–no suspension for Loose Shats. Miller should have taken his head off

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

8. Mr. Biter says:

Just went on NHL web-site. Nothing for Lutwit. BS stands for B$ll S#@T.

Mr. Biter

• RJ says:

PK got two minutes for spraying Lundqvist with snow. Loose Shats gets two minutes for creaming Miller. The NHL at its best!! The old boy network is alive and well. Colie Campbell is probably creating the NHL schedule these days. Consider: Broons home for 13 of first 17 games; First back to back games — both home! — 21 games into the season. Their first AWAY back to back games are December 5 and 6 — two months into the season. That’s what happens when your owner is head of Board of Governors.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

9. Tony McLean says:

LOL!!! http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/2011/11/14_lucic_confident_shanahan_will.php

———————————
    Captains! Newsy, Hainsworth, Mantha, Cleghorn, Toe, Bouchard, Rocket, Harvey, Beliveau, Pocket, Cournoyer, Gainey, Carbo, Damphousse.

10. ed lopaz says:

I would like a “team – blue ice” +/- stat.

if a goal is scored against inside the the blue ice it would be a minus, and a goal scored for would be a plus.

this is like a “grit” +/- stat.

this is a key stat for the Habs.

is our d strong enough to protect the blue ice goals,

and are our forwards gritty enough to score them?

relative to other teams of course.

11. Chris says:

Andrew: I didn’t want to get my answer lost, so I brought this from one of your posts below.

You said:

“The reason I dismiss +/- is simple. People don’t understand how little it means. A player can be a -5 in 5 games and not have been at fault on any of the goals against. The stat doesn’t really tell us anything.”

I’m not sure I entirely understand why so many stats afficionados are so gung-ho on dismissing the +/- stat. When used correctly, it is a fairly telling indicator of player performance. It is of course difficult to compare from team to team, but it is useful nonetheless.

I would point out that the “quality of competion” statistic is actually calculated by taking a player’s +/- per 60 minutes of on-ice time and subtracting the team’s +/- per 60 minutes of time when the player is not on the ice, i.e., using the so-called relative +/- statistic.

In effect, a stat that you eschew is being used to generate a stat that you espouse. Looking at how a player does in +/- relative to his teammates remains a very good gauge of the effectiveness of that player.

• In the way you’re talking about +/- here, it is definitely useful. My issue with it is using raw +/- to judge a player without context or understanding what it means.

For example, Gomez last year was called a terrible defensive player because of his +/-, when it was actually indicative of poor ES offense. His GA/60 minutes at ES wasn’t bad. So really what happened here is I chose my response poorly. My problem is using a stat like +/- to prove something that it doesn’t prove.

Basically people need to understand what a stat tells you before they use it in an argument.

______________________________
      Seriousfan09 has started a Movember team named McPhee’s Irregulars. Donate to him, or me or the team to raise money for a great cause!

• Chris says:

Agreed. On the flip side, the Corsi and other “advanced stats” are just as frequently abused.

All statistics are useful in trying to quantify what we see with our eyes. When a statistic (the Corsi) goes against what we are seeing (Gomez’s 2010-11) season, then there is a problem either with the statistic itself or its application as some sort of quantitative predictor of player performance.

Gomez had a brutal offensive season in 2010-11. The Corsi statistic SHOULD give an indication of a player’s offensive value to a team. In the case of Gomez last season, something failed. He was getting into the zone, but he wasn’t capable of doing anything while there. And the team was still giving up goals at a higher rate than it was when he wasn’t on the ice. That’s a bad sign for a player if they aren’t bringing offence to the table.

• Corsi doesn’t measure offensive value though, it measures puck possession, which is something Gomez has always been good at. And he did have an incredibly unlucky season, which is really not arguable. No matter who he played with, while he was on the ice the team’s shooting percentage was horrible.

______________________________

12. ManApart says:

LoL, Lucic. I don’t see a suspension there. There was no headshot. He just lay the shoulder into Miller. In game, 2 for roughing + 2 for interference would have been fine.

• what is it with your avatars?

• Ton says:

is a goalie fair game!

• saskhabfan says:

But if it was eller you would be calling for 5 games,especially if it was on halak in a blues uniform.Then you would be crying like a sissy for a lifetime ban.Stick to what you know,which clearly isn’t hockey. Rome’s hit on horton wasn’t a head shot also but still got 4 games.Shanny said the suspension was based on it being a late hit and injury.

• Jordio-oh says:

Nope. You’re dead wrong.

Nothing new.

• TomNickle says:

I agree. I mean, the guy has already sucker punched Freddy Meyer, cross-checked Dominic Moore in the side of the head when he couldn’t see it coming and run Jaro Spacek from behind as hard as he could. All of this in the last ten months and only two games in suspension to show for it. And I’m sure several more things that went without disciplinary action. If they aren’t willing to suspend for cross-checking a guy in the head, why should they for for him targeting Miller’s with his shoulder or forearm?

• saskhabfan says:

Thats the sad part. The guy should have been suspended half a dozen times for cheapshots layed on other players in the last couple of years but for some reason he,and the bruins,avoid any disciplinary action. Subban got 2 minutes for a snow shower,imagine what he would get for making physical contact with a goalie?

13. sampson12 says:

Remember this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N1-25s4uwFQ

I’m not saying I endorse this kind of behaviour, but I can’t see Jacques Martin ever letting his players get away with this anymore. He’s changed since his tenure in Ottawa.. EVERYONE was fighting that night.. classic.

14. Mattyleg says:

Hey HI/Oers!!

Just a shout out once again because I’m growing a Movember moustache!
    It’s coming in quite nicely, and I’m doing it for a great cause: men’s health (specifically prostate cancer).

I’m sure you’ve all been touched in one way or another by this killer, and with a small donation you can help fight against it!

Come and visit my Movember page, and you can gaze upon the magnificence that is Mattyleg’s burgeoning Lord Kitchener, and drop a couple of bucks in for a good cause while you’re there!

One generous HI/Oer has already visited and donated! Be that other guy!
    Thanks!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Can anyone of you actually grow a ‘stache? 10 days in and that’s all you’ve got to show?
      If I had not already been growing a beard, I’d show the lot of you what a real mustache is!

Randy for HC!

Due to my ancestry I was afraid I would look like an Amish Farmer or Johnathon Toews, so I refrained from growing one but have donated locally.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, it’s a pretty slow grow; one that I’m happy for normally – not much need to shave more than once or twice during the week!

Normally I have a full goatee and moustache, but shaved it off for this, so yes, I can grow one, but only in its own sweet time.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. C_exacte says:

Andrei, Andrei, Andrei!!!! or as Pierre Houde says Andre-E!!

After concussion, severe depression and it kills.!

Will Shannahan do the right thing and show how serious head shots are.

What is a concussion, as comprehended and explained by myself.

I have been involved as a lay person with research pertaining to neurology at a major medical university.

I have picked up a lot of information working first with veterinarian pathologists when I was doing research on my fox and mink ranch with calcium.

And I have been involved lately with the neurology research dept from a major medical university. Only as the handler of the research birds involved in the study. So I do not profess to be an expert on the subject

Pertaining to concussion,

I will try to explain, the best that I can, what happens to the brain cells that have been concussed inside the skull. And why one must stay completely resting after a concussion.

The very soft brain cells, when violently thrown against the skull, are damaged and the neuron releases a potassium chemical out of the brain cell. Leaving a void.

Calcium that is already present around the outside of the cells, seeps into the cells replacing the potassium. This calcium is what gives the chemical imbalance to the brain and is what causes the damage.

Until all of this calcium leaves the brain cells completely, and it can take a long time, depending on how much calcium was taken on each cell. The patient is left extremely vulnerable to instant death upon a second bump, or at least permanent brain damage.

Even a hard coughing spell or light exercise can cause severe pain and damage. Complete rest is needed.

These damaged cells have to be cleared completely of this calcium before one can resume activity to avoid more serious consequences including death.

This is very acute in young people under the age of 24 as the brain is still growing and developing.

Please, coaches and parents know this, every severe contact to the head can cause some cells to expel potassium and take on calcium. A second, even slight bump, with the cells still containing calcium, the calcium can solidify, killing the cells and be even more deadly for the host.

Ian Cobb

17. otter649 says:

Lucic will probably get some sort of suspension since he was suspended before with a cheap shot on Lapierre a few years back in the playoffs…..

18. JustSomeguy says:

Here’s a new twist: “He buries his head when he chases a puck and when he lifts it up, somebody’s there. Last year it was a coach, this year it was Miller.”…

What I think it means … if the guy doing the d-bag hit has his head down, it’s OK. And if the guy getting nailed by the d-bag hit has his head down, it’s OK. To me, it’s kinda’ like the the Chara hit on Pacioretty — in that case, Chara’s defense was that he had no idea where on the ice he was (coming up on a stancheon); in this case, Lucic is saying he had no idea where Miller was.

Lordy.

I mean … these guys are PROS. Shouldn’t they be moderately aware of what’s going on around them?

WOW! More SUMMIT News.

Just got a Cary Price game sweater donated, for our children’s raffle.

Everyone attending the raffle brings a gift to donate!

Raffle tickets are $20ea. or 3 for $40

20. HabsFan1111 says:

I would like to ask the question:

If Buffalo had responded by having the entire team mug Lucic after the play, would Lucic even have a hearing today?

21. habsnyc says:

Force of habit, Lucic showed up to his meeting with Shanahan four seconds late.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

22. Higman says:

AB, I’m more a reader than poster on this site (and often my posts aren’t nearly as serious as most), but I’ve been around long enough to see your determination to analyze the game from a stats perspective. Just a couple of questions:

1. What did/are you going through school for? Did you take a course or two on stats?
    2. What do you do for work?
    3. What’s the big hype for you in analyzing the stats?

I mean, when the expansion teams came in, I noticed even the way the game was called by broadcasters to give it a more american sound (sorta like a ball game). I prefer the old broadcasting sound, that enjoyed and emphaisized the art of the game. The science of the game is interesting to, but if often makes the game sound rather static.

I realize my questions are kinda personal, so I don’t expect an answer, but if you care to enlighten us all around here, it might make some of your posts a little more bearable to read (not trying to insult, just being honest).

• Ian Cobb says:

HIGMAN–So many different ways to enjoy and appreciate this wonderful game my friend. To each their own. Mine and your way can be discussed over a pint at Hurley’s pub at the Summit if you are around.

• Higman says:

Thanks for that Ian.

A couple quick things:

1. My post was meant to be a “reply” to something AB posted below. Seems like every time I post from my phone the comment goes to the top.
        2. I’m not local to the Summit event, so thanks for the invite. You’re a true ambassador on this site, ian, and appreciate what you do. Been visiting since 4yrs ago roughly and have been sad to see so many poster go after the switch from HabsIO.
        3. I really wasn’t trying to offend AB or anyone who sees the gamne the way he does. Just trying to understand it a bit more…

When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

• Not insulted at all.

1) Political Science and Biology. Outside of hockey I’ve found it very difficult to get into math.
      2) I’m a student, but I consider my work at EOTP a part time job because I take a lot of pride in it.
      3) There is no hype. The reason I started looking into microstats is because when they are explained properly, they give you a quantifiable way to understand the game at a deeper level. Just through researching advances statistics someone could, for example, vastly improve their coaching strategy or their understanding of others. For example, because of looking into things like zone starts, quality of competition and puck possession, I understand why JM makes some decisions that seem weird on the surface.

As far as play-by-play goes, I agree with you. It’s why I prefer a senile Bob Cole to Jim Hughson. Cole paints a picture of the game, Hughson just says player names and what they’re doing, it’s boring.

However outside of play by play, insight is always better than story telling. It’s why Pierre McGuire is the most sought after colour guy in the business. As hyperbolic as he is, he’s the only guy on national networks that talks about line matching and other extremely interesting things from a coaching perspective.

______________________________

• Higman says:

AB

Thanks for the background on what it is you do. Part of the trouble with the kind of stats you present is that I personally could never take the time to dig them up and analyze them myself. Most of the time I barely have time to watch a hockey game.

I would agree that coaches should use whatever tool helps them make good decisions for in-game decisions. I think what a lot of folks maybe be struggling with when it comes to JM is his rigid approach to his own tendencies. Sometimes, the history of stats are explaining the present story of the game (real time).

When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

130 of us from all over North America this year. And maybe more!

5TH ANNUAL 2011 HIO HAB FAN SUMMIT NOV. 18,19 & 20.
    We will all meet and greet at 1225 Crescent St. Hurley’s pub Friday eve. Some of us will be having supper there, and name tags will be given as we watch the Hamilton Bull Dogs on big screen.
    Everyone is welcome to join us. Ware you team colors! and enjoy the evening.

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s 1240 Drummond St. at 8 or 8:30am. Mike Boone and other guests will be joining us. You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

We then walk over to the Bell Center for the Hall of Fame Tour for 10:30am and the Bell Center Tour is at 11:30am. You need to purchase a $5:50 ticket for the Bell Center tour.

After the tours there will be a Media and Fan professional presentation put on by former concussed hockey players. Kerry Goulet, Keith Primeau and other players who are Involved in educating the effects of concussion, depression and neurology rehabilitation.
    (location is the Novotel hotel, just up the street)

At 3pm the Children’s Foundation Charity raffle and pre game dinner at 1050 Mountain St. the Baton Rouge restaurant. bring one item each if possible please, so everyone can win a gift to go home with.

Rejean Houle will join us at the dinner with a Canadiens team signed stick for the raffle.

Then we walk across the street to the Hab’s and Ranger’s game.
    After the game the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celibrate the win. Anyone may join us, just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your charity raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for the HIO community to give back to less fortunate kids.

Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO family.
    See ya there.
    Ian Cobb
    HIO Fan Summit Organizer (613-968-9807) if you need anything.

24. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. What (if any) suspension will Lucy the Thug get?
    2. Will Shanahan be fair?
    3. What suspension do you think would be appropriate?
    4. If this was the Habs (goalie), who, if on the ice would be most likely to jump on Lucy?
    5. Will you be watching the next Sabres-Bruins game?
    SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

I won’t watch the next Bruins/Sabres game.
      I think either of Moen, Gorges or Subban could have tried their hands at Lucic. Most likely Moen or Gorges though.

Randy for HC!

• Chuck says:

1. One
      2. No
      3. 3 games
      4. Price
      5. I’ll be keeping an eye on the highlights

• Xsteve50 says:

He will get 1 game
      I do not consider that fair
      I would hope for 3
      I would hope noone would `jump on`as that would result in a bench clearing brawl..and Montreal is not suited for that
      I will most likely watch part of it.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

1) a minor one (1-3 games)
      2) to whom?
      3) a minor one
      4) think Pricey would’ve probably handled him on his own. Gorges definitely would’ve gotten in there. Ryan White, Travis Moen, Nokelinan, Pacioretty (not sure about post-concussion, but…)
      5) Depends if the Habs are playing at the same time :)

• ClutchNGrab says:

1. No Suspension
      2. No
      3. 5 games
      4. Gorges
      5. The highlights.

If Lucic really thought what he did was ok, he wouldn’t have said that he was “suprised” by the lack of answer of the Buffalo team nor would he had stated that the Bruins would have responded differently if that happened to Thomas. If the league wants preserve its credibility, the right thing to do would be to suspend Lucic.

• PTH JoKer says:

1. 0
      2. No
      3. 3
      4. The players, coaches, fans and the army
      5. The highlights only

• G-Man says:

1. No. 2. No. 3. 5 games 4. No one- but they would talk a lot. 5. No- it’s the Sabres and Gooins, ffs!

MORE SUMMIT NEWS

The Belleville Bulls of the OHL, today donated a Team Signed Stick and one of their Game Sweaters to our HIO Childrens Charity Raffle.

Buy raffle tickets to win over $3000 of prise’s (maybe more) that all the submitteers are bringing to the Baton Rouge at 3pm.

PK’s two younger brothers play for Belleville, Malcome Subban (goal tender) was the player of the week in the OHL.

26. Jordio-oh says:

I just found out that NESN is owned by the same ownership groups that own the Bruins and the Red Sox.

A television sports network owned by the teams it covers.

I guess that explains Jack Edwards.

27. samTHEman says:

Suspensions should be perceived less and less as punishments and more as a way of filtering the type of plays we want to eliminate from hockey. Gotta give credit to Lindy Ruff for coming out and saying what he said about the hit. Had that happened to Price, Martin and PG would remain silent or would say some lame crap like “I’m sure the league will review it and make the right decision.”

From Twitter just now:

@DLCoulisses DansLesCoulisses
    Le Canadien commence à parler de possibilité d’opération dans le cas de Kostitsyn. #jamaisbonsigne

Translation: The Canadiens are talking about the possibility of an operation in Kostitsyn’s case (groin injury).

Just when he was one of our better forwards…Sigh. Palushaj’s gotta be one happy kid lol

Summit news!

Kerry Goulet will be arriving in Montreal with other concussed players for the presentation delivered by Keith Premeau and press conference at the Novatel hotel at 1pm Saturday 19th.

He will also be at Hurley’s pub Friday to mingle with the HIO group.

Kerry Goulet
    Director
    Stopconcussions.com
    Goulet29@stopconcussions.com
    President
    29sports.com

• Mats Naslund says:

Hey Ian – do we have to be signed up anywhere to meet up after the game at Hurley’s. I didn’t know until very recently that I would be going to this game and would love to meet up with everyone since I’m in Montreal so rarely. Thanks!

• Ian Cobb says:

You can just come to all events, identify yourself as a HIO member is all, but at the raffle and pre game dinner, bring a donation gift for each person attending the raffle. That way everyone gets a gift as a memento to take back home.

Name tags will be given out at Hurley’s Friday night. Be nice to meet you my friend.

29. kempie says:

I confess that my darker side wanted to see Miller pop right up swinging that stick like a helicopter all crazy-ass Hextall style.

30. GenerationYHabs says:

Just in case anybody wasn’t already aware of it, the voting for the 2011-2012 all star game is now open on the main nhl site.

I added MaxP in as my write in vote because I was really surprised that he wasn’t even considered with the current numbers he’s been putting up this season.

31. DEANDALLEY says:

Why can’t Martin grow a set & make comments such as Ruff?

Martin needs to say something to the media sometimes DAMNIT!

“If your not first, your last”

• shiram says:

The Habs org. clearly frowns upon such comments, look at PG and JM, both are not known as talkative types.

Randy for HC!

• DEANDALLEY says:

I often lay awake at night just wondering what this team could do with a REAL NHL Coach behind the bench!

“If your not first, your last”

• Castor says:

Just…just do me a favor. Please fix the spelling in your tag?
          ‘You’re’ not ‘your’

• HabsfanoftheHabs says:

Actually he’s got it right. Make sure you’re right before posting your comments.

• Mattyleg says:

HfotH,
            Who’s got it right?
            I’m confused.
            DD needs to clean up his tagline.
            ‘your’ means belonging to you.
            So what his tagline says, according to DD, is:
            “If the not first belonging to you, the last belonging to you”
            What you will notice here is that all we need, to make a proper sentence that means something, is a verb.
            Therefore ‘you’re’ is the proper word, as it constitutes both a pronoun and a verb. You and ‘to be’ (are).

Hope that clears it up for everyone!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habsfan reduxit says:

… well it’s like this: Jacques Martin is the coach of the team, not the public relations guy.

… and it’s like this: it’s ‘you’re’, not ‘your’.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

32. Hammer says:

Does any one know when Ryan White is back? The Habs could use some more grit on the fourth line.

33. Stev.R says:

Markov practicing with the team wearing a no contact jersey

It is kind of nice to see another team Screaming Bloody Murder for a change at the NHL Head Office.

35. How good are the Habs really? Can Toronto maintain their position? Is Detroit going to struggle all year? Read about how advanced statistics can predict the answer to these questions, along with a primer to understand what each stat means and why it’s important.

______________________________

• adamkennelly says:

help me understand your conclusion – even with all the injuries this team has – your “advanced” stats are indicating that the Habs are in the top 10 teams in this league? seriously – give me a break. where is your stat on the “quality of shots take vs. quantity”…same deal for shots against…you don’t distinguish between a shot taken by a Habs F when he is going down 1 on 4 vs. a shot taken by an opposing D man after their forwards have forechecked the crap out of our small D and maintained possession of the puck in our zone for 45 seconds….anyways – good work – but Habs are only slightly better than their record indicates and are not good enough or built properly to win multiple playoff series….there is a stat for that too…playoff series won over the last 5 years….count em.

• Mats Naslund says:

Your question pre supposes that only quality shots go in the net.

• Adam, thanks for the question.

I’ll do my best to explain it. Over the course of a season, it’s been shown consistently that shot quality doesn’t matter as much as shot volume.

And keep in mind we’re not talking about shots as a measure of scoring here, we’re talking about puck possession and how to measure it. And according to those stats, which were not made up by me, the Habs are indeed a top 1/3 team. It’s not an opinion, it’s an observation.

That being said, if you’d like to take a look at shot quality, and can read french, check out http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogspot.com/

Olivier tracks scoring chances for the Habs. We’re actually a very good team in that regard as well.

I agree that there aren’t many playoff series wins over the last 5 years, not enough to my liking either. However that doesn’t really have an effect on this season’s team. It’s just an annoying fact we all have to deal with.

______________________________

• adamkennelly says:

so – the understanding then is the stats you are quoting are indicative of a teams ability as a puck possession team- which does not necessarily equate to wins and losses because “having the puck” a lot – doesn’t mean much if you are not effective at doing good things with it – like scoring goals or clearing your zone…if your stats are saying the Habs are a top 10 team this year – even with all our injuries then there is clearly something wrong with them or the way they are being analyzed…there is a ton of parity in the NHL – I get it – which is why every little thing counts….but a top 10 team – seriously? Det, Chi, Pit, Wash, Bost, Philly, Buf, SJ, Van…wait – maybe you’re right…guess there are a lot of mediocre teams in the league….

• GrimJim says:

For the record, Mtl’s 3-4 record sits 10th out of 27 teams for most playoff series won over the past five seasons. Det leads with 11…

Hal Gill reportedly Sick, Emelin in, Like, Thumbs Up.

To be clear, not happy Gill is sick, rather I like Emelin getting to play. Interesting to see the Defence without Gill. PK especially.

• SeriousFan09 says:

What will happen is that Emelin will get maybe 12 minutes and will get benched over a single mistake. Patrick Kaleta will try running over Price three times and three times Raphael Diaz will ask him politely to stop doing that.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Mats26 says:

My fearless prediction:

Habs smoke the Sabres. I have been praying for a defence corps minus Hall Gill. His effectiveness on the PK is totally outweighed by his ES play (what’s that ratio?). The team is so disjointed when he is out there. No transition and no breakout, which inevitably results in a poor clearing play with the opposition entering the offensive zone with speed.

I am really liking Emelin being swapped for Gill. I love Hal’s leadership , but I hope he is dumped at the trade deadline for a second rounder. Contenders will salivate at his teams’ playoff runs in the last few years and happily overpay for him. Come on Goat!

• Jordio-oh says:

I’ve never been a fan of dumping veterans at the deadline if the team is headed for the playoffs, but if Montreal could get what Toronto did at the 2008 deadline for Gill (a 2nd and 5th round pick) I would wish for PG to make that deal.

Unfortunately, now that Gill is four years older, Montreal won’t get that type of offer. But I guess it all depends on the market at the time. There aren’t many quality D-man who are UFA’s and on teams that won’t make the playoffs.

37. Tony McLean says:

I don’t trust or respect Shanahan. He started out strong then went back to business as usual.
    ———————————
    MEMORABLE CAPTAINS. WINNERS.

• Jim Edson says:

Most shocking aspect of Luchicken’s hit on Miller is that it must the the first time that he ever initiated contact in a face to face situation rather than waiting to cheapshot in a scrum or from behind!

Today’s supplementary discipline “interview” with Luchicken will be a benchmark for Shanahan.

It will mark whether the Goons will retain their “protected species” status within the NHL HQ which highlighted the regime of Colon Campbell.

It also will mark whether Jeremy Jacobs is still the defacto NHL commissioner of the NHL or the cup win last year has closed his account with Bettman.

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

38. Mattyleg says:

LOUD NOISES!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. HabsfanoftheHabs says:

Why are you yelling at us?

40. Mattyleg says:

Well, if he’s always right, he should care about his opinion.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

41. shiram says:

Do you really think he would play the same way he does, if he played for the Habs?

Randy for HC!

42. OneTimer says:

can we have a player who’s LIKE Lucic but who’s NOT Lucic? With the physicality, but minus the sulking and temper tantrums when things don’t go his way.

If he hit to the head while with the Hab’s, I would be on his butt also.

44. shiram says:

He might score 20+ but he would not be the same physical guy, it helps that Chara has got his back.

Randy for HC!

45. Now it is, but it wasn’t always that way. I still find his voice iconic and his expressions seem to last.

______________________________

46. likehoy says:

why not dump cammy too?
    he can get us a 1st and a 2nd easily (what we paid for Tanguay)
    or a very good prospect.

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

47. bel33 says:

He did mistakenly call Nashville.. Columbus in the last game for the brief moment I turned to CBC instead of RDS. I had to laugh… with those yellow jerseys… seriously it’s not even close.

Not hating just laughing…

48. TomThompson says:

Is that the real crime? not retaliating for a cheap shot that has no place in hockey? Or is going full tilt and body checking (with your arms up) a much smaller and less maneuvrable goalie the “real crime”.

You rely on this theory of deterrance, but what does that matter when your star goaltender can’t play indefinitely? If you want to sanction this pathetic sort of play, by saying that the players will police themselves, any team as disgusting as the bruins will just choose to take runs at star players, as long as they feel they can handle the retaliations.