Louis Leblanc on the Armada?

Blainville_Boisbriand_Chandails071220113740

The Montreal Juniors are moving off-island to Boisbriand and getting a new name.
They better hope no other team in the Q has a captain named Drake. (Photo courtesy of LJMQ)

Vincent Damphousse has a court date

Unsigned free agents

Molson Coors, NHL deal back on track

Down Goes Brown has some fun with the free agents, including Wiz

Three new bidders for Blues

Nice mashup from CanadiensMontage:

1. AndresWolf says:

Gorges should sign now. With out delay

Andres Wolf | Engineering leveling guide

2. Sean Bonjovi says:

That “Older Comments” button is some close to the “Submit Comment” button. : )

3. J_P says:

Whats up with Gorges not signing yet? Who does this guy think he is, Carey Price?!

Is PG lowballing or is Gorges asking for the world? Either way, I dont like it one bit.

This should be the easiest negotiation on the face of the earth.

4. Un Canadien errant says:

More fuel to the fire:

Apparently Tim Connolly is not just injury prone, but also not a great teammate to have. Add him to Mr. Kessel and Mr. Phaneuf, and we could see some fireworks this season.

———————————
    Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

• HabFab says:

Is Simmons a closet leaf hater or just the only realistic TO hockey writer?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I watch him on The Reporters Sunday mornings on TSN, and I think he’s a pretty strong contributor on that show. I liked it better when Damian Cox was on, and I hope Michael Farber recovers quickly.

I think he made the right call on Brian Burke being away for July 1. Soldiers don’t want to meet a GM, they want to meet the players. He’s also right that July 1 is a critical date for an NHL GM, you don’t take that day off no matter the reason. If you’re Santa Claus, you don’t take December 24th off. Compare to Mr. Gauthier who says he speaks to his wife in late June and tells her: “Talk to you again in August”.

Brian Burke states he was deeply offended by the criticism, but I don’t believe it. He had to know it would come, and he had to have made the decision that he would live with it. To act as if it’s uncalled for and out of the blue is disingenuous.

———————————

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Yeah, I’ve been hearing that about Connolly for a while now. It should be interesting to see how the three you mention (and an ill-tempered coach on the hot seat) respond to a prolonged losing streak or if Reimer falters out of the gate.

Things could get ugly real quick down on Bay Street :D

• Un Canadien errant says:

Quite right to point out Mr. Wilson, the acerbic coach who never met a microphone he didn’t like, but always acts like he’s undergoing a root canal when on the podium. He does bring the dynamite to an explosive situation.

———————————

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Oh he acts like he hates the media – but everyone can tell that he LOVES the spotlight.

Do you recall the mini drama last season when Kessel, during a prolonged dry spell, snapped back at a reporter that Wilson doesn’t talk to him?

I have a feeling we could be seeing a LOT more of that this year.

I just remembered – to go with Connolly, Kessel, Phaneuf, and Wilson, the Leafs also employ Grabovski…who has the potential to bring on the sulk if he can’t build on his success from last season.

It might be a fun winter in my city!

5. Kennedy says:

why does every other hockey site have the white deal except this one ????

Avise la fin (Consider the end)

• crazyhabsfan says:

Was just going to say the EXACT same thing…

“We’ve got to find a way to beat them. We can’t play hang-on hockey. We’ve got to go out and take it to them and make plays and be aggressive. If you play hang-on hockey in this league, they’re going to beat you.”
      -Mike Cammalleri
      I think it’s time to change it up a bit JM…

• Bugs says:

“Avise la fin” doesn’t mean anything, Kenny…despite what any automatic translator tells you.
      It’s pure nonsense.

• shiram says:

I tried to tell him, Bugs, I did! Even suggesting a better translation, but he did not heed me.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

He’s not lying, he really didn’t put it through a translator…

• shiram says:

Yup I made amends just below.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

And I saw that one after posting this message…considered deleting it, but figured the link might be of interest to some.

cheers!

• Bugs says:

Translate what? “Consider the end”?
          Does that actually mean anything in English? Have you ever heard anyone say “Consider the end”?
          Best you can do with that is “Considérez la fin” and that’ll get you nowhere either. Still doesn’t mean anything.
          “Consider the alternative” maybe? Is that what he means?
          In which case, it would be “Envisagez l’autre option” or “Réfléchissez à l’alternative qui vous reste.” I don’t know.
          But I DO know that “Avise la fin” means just as much as “Patate carosse libellule”, that is, absolutely nothing.
          Please folks, automatic translators will NEVER make you appear wise, especially if you quote them. Use them at your peril.

• Kennedy says:

it has been on the kennedy family crest since the 1400′s ……. what do you want me to do, re write history ??

Avise la fin (Consider the end)

• shiram says:

Uh, googled the Kennedy crest, and they do use “Avise la fin”
          Weird maybe it’s some sort of old french that makes little sense nowadays.

Sorry about that Kennedy!

• TorontoHabsFan says:

That’s what I was thinking…or could it be Latin?

• shiram says:

Does not look like latin to me, and I have taken 3 years of latin classes, 16 years ago!
            (clearly I am a latin expert)

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Me neither. Could be some kind of pidgin French, or like you said, an earlier, more archaic form of French that doesn’t look familiar to our eyes.

now I’m very curious!

• Kennedy says:

dont worry about it lads, it is a bit weird

Avise la fin (Consider the end)

• Kennedy says:

Avise la fin (Consider the end)

• HabFab says:

Checked out your motto…my take is “Prudent to the End.”

Well, it’s moronic.
          Cuz it doesn’t mean anything. Neither in old French or new.
          Just found it’s borne of a Scottish CLAN, hardly the hallmark of L’Académie française, you will agree.
          They could’ve just as well written “patate carosse libéllule” on their coat of arms in that case instead of asking the town pastor to translate their motto’s three words best as he could remember from his French class school days in Edimbourg.
          Flaunting nonsensical French isn’t “inspiring” at any rate, no matter the nobility under which it saw the light of day, because that nobility was misinformed.
          So every time I see “Avise la fin”, I’m gonna think “automatic translating nonsense”.
          Sorry.

• bwoar says:

Could you be any more pompous? Your own alliterative signature is fairly inane English.

• Rugger says:

Actually Bugs, I do disagree – 1400′s Scotland was extremely tied to France. Any family with money had their sons/daughters educated in France, the future Mary Queen of Scots was married off to the son of the King of France (who died as a teen so never became King). All government transactions were in French so I would guess that the Scots of the 1400′s (at least the noble class) knew a heck of a lot more about the usage of the French language at the time than any of us.

• HabFab says:

Rugger, good point. That coupled with the evolving English language which had just received another influx of words from the Norman French (which I’m sure was bastardized due to their original Viking heritage). Avise seems to have been accepted into the developing English language as a word that as an adjective meant Prudent. Which would certainly be in keeping with the Scottish character in this motto.

• Bugs says:

Yes, Boey, Kenny’s sig and mine are exactly the same in terms of nonsense. Exactly, exactly the same thing. Well spotted.
            However, I would say the difference is mine is linguistically accurate and idiomatically transparent while his isn’t.
            In other words, not only does “Avise-la-fin” not MEAN anything, they aren’t even words you can put together without inter-spacing at least one with a period. Sort of like “Carole? Avise-la. Fin de l’histoire.” You know? Something terse like that.
            Mine might be absurd, but it’s not nonsense.
            If you would be so kind as to forgive the pomposity of such a remark, that is.
            If you aren’t, hey, fuhgeddabowdit.

• Bugs says:

Lemme see if I get this straight, Ruggie: because a Scottish KING went to France to kick some azz, some Scottish “CLAN” learnt nonsensical French?
            I don’t get it.
            Ummm…are there any OTHER apparitions of “Avise la fin” throughout the course of human existence OTHER than this Scottish clan’s version of ye olde verified French-speak, I wonder?
            Just askin.

• Rugger says:

The Scots didn’t go to France to kick Azz, they went as allies to get help keeping the Bloody Edwards (I, II & III) out of Scotland as well as France. Worked well enough until the Scots gave the crown to Mary who royally mucked it up, leading us back to the original topic of this page – the Armada, launched to punish Queen Lizzy for cutting of Mary’s head.

• Bugs says:

And any other instance of the usage of “avise la fin” anywhere else during the course of history apart from that clan motto you say can be located then, if French it’s supposed to be, what do we say to that?
            For I say nay. Neither French nor a poor translation of “consider the end”.
            “Avisé de la fin” aaaah, now, we’re talkin. THAT’S a motto.
            “Avisé la fin” is gibberish. And always has been, Franco-Scottish mid-millenium translatin Conquistadors or whatever be damned.
            In the interest of science though, I will accept that it may have been so in 1400 (though I seriously friggin doubt it) IF, I repeat, any OTHER example of those exact French words being put together in those times can be located.
            A RELIABLE example of course.

• Kennedy says:

look if its making you that mad, should i take it down ? would that make it better ?

Avise la fin (Consider the end)

• Bugs says:

Yes, it would. Cuz it’s nonsensical French.
            And if you WERE French, Kenny, you would understand, and you would never have put it up in the first place because it would seem foolish to you as well to “flaunt” nonsensical French as a rallying motto.
            Imagine my signature was “Victory for peoples”. It might SOUND ok to folks who know nothing of the English language, but to you, it’ll stick in your craw for having poor linguistic value, if any at all.
            Now imagine reading that as a rallying signature all the time, you know? “Yea, let us all hearken to these words of wisdom!…that make NO sense!”
            And the worst of it? “Victory for peoples” makes more sense than “avise la fin”.
            In fact, as heir to the family name, YOU should modify it to “Avisé de la fin” and cement your contribution to this heralded family banner. What better gift could you give, honestly? You should fix it. Cuz it makes no sense at all as it is.

• Kennedy says:

alright bugs if your going to throw a tantrum about this i’ll be the bigger man about this and take it down, and bugs i am french, i know it does nit make sense in french but what do you want me to be call the kennedy society and demand that they re write history ? let me ask you this though, why do you care ? it only means something to me, it dose ot affect you in the slightest.
            now that this is all behind us lets just go back to wishing we were the GM of the habs for the rest of the summer

Avise la fin (Consider the end)

(edit)
            You know what? Why do I even bother? Forget it.

• alestar says:

seriously…

XXIV…and counting

Okay, we have roughly 7.67 Million left in cap room, Gorges for no more than 3-3.5 (i think 3) now we are at 4.17 Million in cap room.

Does anyone remember what is the most cap room we have had going into start of season? Doesn’t this seem like quite a bit more than past seasons?

• shiram says:

I would not know honestly, but PG last year made some moves very late in the free agent season, he signed Price very very late, so maybe he is not done.
      Also having cap space can help out alot in case of injury, so he might just be careful in keeping some cap space.

• HabFab says:

A team always has to leave money for injury call ups. The Habs along with other teams seem to be only carrying 22 players now and leaving the money for the 23rd as call up reserve.
        I also think like you, that PG probably wants to hold on to some money in case there are problems with Pacioretty, Markov, Gorges or Eller coming back from their injuries.

I agree and understand that, just I seem to have it in my head we were always between 1 and 2.5 max for caproom in past years. Understanding also that injuries like Markov/Gorges didn’t hurt our cap because of LTIR. Of course with the cap going up every, percentage wise maybe we are at same level. Wouldn’t put it past PG to have a formula worked out as to what our available cap space needs to be based partially on JM’s line calculator.

• HabFab says:

The facts not understood concerning LTIR Cap relief is that;
            the first 20 some days are still counted against your cap;
            and only the salary of the REPLACEMENT player is discounted against the Cap.

BG stated he always liked to keep around $2 ml for call up reserve.

• Bugs says:

When Gainey brought none of the 11 FAs back from two years ago, how much did that leave?
      Wasn’t it around 18mil or sumpin?

7. HabFab says:

Let the “Gomez trade having any impact on the following free agent signings” debate renew…round 23 or 24 (sorry but lost count)

• Cardiac says:

The general consensus surrounding Gomez attracting free agents goes like this:

“Wow, they (the Habs) are willing to pay that much for HIM? I wonder how much they’d pay for my client?” – random agent

I do, however, Gionta influenced Cole into signing here… Why? Because Cole came out and said it himself!

• SmartDog says:

I agree.

However, somehow Gionta saying that Gomez had NO influence on his decision to sign with the Habs has NO MEANING to most people who want to believe that SOMETHING good came out of the Gomer trade

(In fact Gionta also said the Habs offer was just too good to pass up).

• Say Ash says:

And don’t forget, that Gionta money was ear-marked for Kovalev, whose agent wanted just a little bit more.

• HabFab says:

And Spacek’s money was offered to Komi and Beauchemin first.
            But then Cammi, Mara and Gill said that it influenced their decisions.
            Sooo…have fun!

• Say Ash says:

Could you imagine Gomez, Kovalev and Komi out there? Yikes!

• shiram says:

Gio got a big raise coming here, I think he was on a 3 million cap hit before coming here, and I’m not sure he would have gotten 5 million per for 5 years elsewhere in the NHL.

• Bugs says:

Cammy said the same thing about Gomie that Cole did about Gio, Cardy.

• krob1000 says:

well after thefact and when it was politically correct to say that Cammi did mention that. However, Gomez was obtained on June 30th and Free agnecy started the next day…not too much time for wooing. And to be fair Cammi may have actually thought what many of us did for a brief period…taht we were signing Gomez AND keeping Koivu and thought wow…what a team, Koivu, Gome4z,Pleks,etc…we don’t know

• Bugs says:

A) We knew Saku was leaving the day before the deadline so no, no one thought he would stay with Gomie and Plecky
            and B) it’s not fair to state that Cammy only said what he said about Gomie out of political correctness but that Cole didn’t about Gio. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander, Krobbie; can’t have it both ways.
            So either take’em BOTH at their word sayin the SAME THING or take neithers, not “one was tellin the truth and the other wasn’t cuz that suits my argument.” Can’t do that, mate.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think you have to take that with a grain of salt. Wiz went there cause he had a great offer (money and length). I am sure having some players telling him it was great would have some impact but money and length of contract will have more to do with it. Players on that team also have their own vested interest in bringing them on their team and players will do what is best for themselves and their family.

For that money I am glad we didn’t resign Wiz. I really like him as a player but that is way too much coin for him.

Prime example, Eric Cole. He really wanted to stay in Carolina but and extra Million dollars and another year ont he deal with a no trade clause was the real reason he signed. Hopefully his heart will be in it when he plays here

I thought it was humorus the part where Rick Nash with a straight face talks about what a great place it is and how the team in on its way! Don’t get me wrong, I know it is a college town with plenty of fun for a young hockey player, but come on. It is still Ohio, and it is still the Blue Jackets, not like they are playing for THE Ohio State!

8. HabFab says:

TSN has come out with a “under 24 year old player to build a franchise with” poll. They selected 16 young stars and are having a vote off. PK has made the list but will go up against Doughty in round one.

• thehabsfan29 says:

double post

• thehabsfan29 says:

Looks like we got a lot of voting to do

i would take PK over doughty any day

• Malreg says:

Oof! Tough competitiion… Even though Doughty had an off year last year, I would have to chose him.

No, you are a Hab fan, we can find fault in any other player, you must choose PK. Seriously would you trade Doughty for PK straight up? Doughty is a stud, but PK is on the rise and Cherry don’t like him so that seals the deal.

• avatar_58 says:

Nah, I’ll take PK because not only is he talented – he’s a cool guy. Class, confidence and skill. He’s going to be the captain of this team some day. Mark my words…

• Malreg says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge P.K fan, on and off the ice. He’s going to be a top 5 d-man in this league for a long time to come, but I believe Doughty will be THE #1 defenseman for several years as well.

The kid is an incredible talent, and I don’t think there’s a single GM in the league that wouldn’t trade PK for Doughty straight up. He was arguably Canada’s best defenseman at the Olympics last year, on one of the best defense core’s a team has ever assembled, at 21 years of age.

• avatar_58 says:

Yeah but you are kidding yourself if you don’t think PK would have shone brightly in the olympics. All that attention? He’d be radioactive.

• Willy says:

The seeding in this makes no sense. Giroux as a 2 seed and Kane as a 7?? Jamie Benn ahead of Skinner and Pernell Karl?? Ridiculous.

9. canuckbot says:

I chose my avatar in honor of the “Kool-Aid sippers” fiasco we had here yesterday. The tirade was not completely in vain!

• canuckbot says:

P.S. the name has nothing to do with that Vancouver team and everything to do with Buckethead. A true man of poultry and sensational guitar wedges.

• Cardiac says:

Even for the work he did on Chinese Democracy?

• meh, that was a disaster, but I think he was just part of that for the big paycheck. I thought he did play very well on some of the older GnR tunes though.

• canuckbot says:

Chinese Democracy was nowhere near the expectations the media & Axl put on it. It is not a terrible album though. Compared to Appetite For Destruction, it’s not even a G’n'R album but songs like “Shackler’s Revenge” “I.R.S.” and “There Was A Time” are good songs and better than some of the Use Your Illsuion stuff.

So after all that, i think it was a bad career move for BH. That’s all people talk about even though he’s been around since 1992. Check out Pepper’s Ghost or Crime Slunk Scene.

…and now, back to hockey…

10. Trisdin says:

Why am I reading about the Ryan White deal on TSN before HIO?????. Common, get your act together.

I will rip into anyone who bashes my Canadiens, especially “habs fans”.

11. SmartDog says:

Can u help me? Re. the ADMIRALS.

I’m happy about this move because I live in Saint Sauveur and my kids would be excited to go to an Admirals game. Some questions for those of you who follow junior hockey (which I have not).
    - How many people go to these games? Are the seats numbered like in Bell Center or do you just come early?
    - Is it pretty easy to get Leblanc’s signature…? My son needs a new favorite player since LaPierre is gone (my son is French) so Leblanc could be a good pick!
    - Do they ever have special events, like a skate or blood drive where a Hab might show up?
    Thanks for any advice! My kids are young (7-9) so I think they’ll be excited to see a game up close.
    SD

12. canuckbot says:

I’ve been standing in the shadows for years. Now that I have created an account I need some help perfecting it. I don’t see a spot to upload an image/icon for my profile. Any suggestions?

Not one Hab in the top 100. Yikes!
    (The Wiz doesn’t really count as being on the Habs when this was projected)

14. canuckbot says:

I have to read about White signing on TSN’s site???? This is why you can’t all schedule your holidays at the same time HIO!

15. Willy says:

Non hockey topic: Who do you think will win the Open Championship this week? I’m placing my money on Luke Donald with a dark horse pick of Padraig Harrington. Padraig has been playing so poorly since his last win but i think he finds his game this week. Or maybe Matt Kuchar breaks through this week.

Okay really quiet day here today, Time for some trivia. Boys and Girls try not to use your internet for the answers.

Which team or teams had the most 30 Goal Scorers in one regularl season of play. Names is a nice bonus, knowing how many goals each player scored explains a childhood robbed of social skills and explains you alot!

17. HalifaxHabs says:

how can we have gone an hour without any new posts… hmmmm

Saw your question regarding what # Cole is going to wear. Is it possible the real fly in the ointment on that contract (edit: Gorges contract) is that Erik Cole is getting) #26 and Josh is pissed?

• HalifaxHabs says:

LOL, I certainly hope not Burly. Half the time I can’t tell if you are serious or half joking.

I can’t imagine a jersey number being a main hold up for Josh, to ink his name, to guarantee himself millions of dollars.

I would guess Cole will have to pick a new number if Gorges already had his old number.

I am extremely sarcastic, doesn’t always lend itself to typing.

Ohh we need to get Skype incorportated into HIO. Oh shit I can only imagine the crap that would go down then.

• HalifaxHabs says:

+1 for internet sarcasm!

re: Skype – you never know, lots of keyboard tough guys would lose their mite if they actually had to show their faces.

Hey, I responded to your question to SD on the Josh Gorges Contract Bonanza Pool. I got your back!

• HalifaxHabs says:

Haha I see that Burly. I think I should stick to my original instinct and say 8 over 3 yrs.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Maybe we have a roster of HIO posters, with vital stats like the players, age, height, weight, that sort of thing. That way, you can judiciously flame targets, instead of doing so wholesale and regretting it later.

Either that or mandatory attendance at the conference, so you have to face your targets.

———————————

• GenerationYHabs says:

I can just imagine the word Kool-aid playing on an endless loop…

Maybe a sumbliminal Konopka thrown in there occasionaly too.

• HalifaxHabs says:

LOL @ Kool-Aid playing on an endless loop!

Seth MacFarlane voiced a pretty cool Kool-Aid guy for Family Guy! Stick Konopka’s jersey number on him and then have him use words like trucculent and we have all our bases covered for the day!

• GenerationYHabs says:

+1 Win!

Yah I think attendance at Summit is key. Looking forward to it, will be good to meet the folk at this place.

• GenerationYHabs says:

Is everything all set already for the summit? If anyone had some info on it, it would be great.

• Curtoph says:

Must of been some sort of black hole…

18. Newf_Habster says:

Josh Gorges is only the unsigned RFA left that we have at this moment right?

19. markd9 says:

Louis LeBlanc better look out for Rod Torfulson or Herman Menderchuck as they may try to take his spot.

Too dated?

20. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Leblanc playing back in the Q this year will do nothing to improve his development. My guess is he will be playing in the A with the Bulldogs for a couple years before he cracks the lineup for the Habs. Hopefully after a good stint with Hamilton, he will beef it up some and be better prepared for the bigs. I think he will end up being a good third line defensive forward for the Habs by the 2014 season.

Have only seen him play a few times for the Montreal Junior and Team Canada last year and was impressed with his defensive play. He skates pretty good, reads the play well, is a nice puck handler, and has some finish around the net. Hope he stays healthy and gets stronger in the next few years so when he finally makes it to the Habs he’s got the toughness he will need to stay there. I like this kid…hope the Management doesn’t ruin him by bringing him up before he’s ready. Go Louie Go !!!

• DearyLeary says:

He’ll be with the Bulldogs, he won’t be playing as an over-ager in the Q. That would be an immediate indication that he’s a bust.

Leblanc at World Jrs. was excellent. He played on #1 line, then they moved him to get other lines going. He was PK, PP and great forechecker.

He isn’t going to be a reincarnation of the Flower by any means, but he is a hockey player. I think he will be above average 3rd liner or really solid 2nd line player for the habs. Just hope this shoulder injury is a one off. Someone mentioned the other day Eller has had this same surgery on his shoulder before. I am very worried about this becoming recurring. Especially given the physical game he likes to play.

21. Psycho29 says:

I’m glad White signed…Great kid, big heart!

So I found this on Wikipedia:
    Evidence gathered at the Jonestown site after the incident indicated that Flavor Aid (a similar powdered drink mix), not Kool-Aid, was used in the massacre.

So I guess technically it’s ok to mention Kool-Aid, just don’t bring up Flavor Aid.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• Chuck says:

Considering for what they intended to use it, I guess that Jim and his cronies didn’t feel the need to waste money on the brand name stuff.

• G-Man says:

Damned generic crap! No wonder they all…..never mind.

• Chips says:

I had friends in Kingston with a band named “Guyana Kool-Aid”.

25 in 2012

• Gerry H says:

I knew those guys! Used to hang out in my shop.

• Chips says:

They used to hang out in my shop, the Vinyl Vendor, sometimes too!!! They turned into the Pariah’s. Bonez was the drummer and Mike was the singer, Scott the bass player and I think Sean was the guitarists. Loved that K-town late 80′s music scene!! Hail to the Toucan!!

25 in 2012

• Gerry H says:

Holy smoke! Remember Walrus Music? My partner Hugh and I ran it during the late eighties. Did you guys also sell the Hip’s first tape before they got signed by RCA?

• Chips says:

Yea I remember Walrus Music! Upstarts down the street, you were! Good shop!! I don’t think we actually sold the Hip’s tape (memory from those days is a bit foggy at times!), but I remember very well lots of Hip shows at the Lakeview Manor. In those days, the big song of the night was the Stones’ “2000 light yers from home”!!!! Last time I saw the Hip was when they were filming their first video there! Also remember when they had a sax player and no Paul Langlois! Where are you at now? I’m out on the West Coast of Vancouver Island! Cheers my man and GO HABS!!!

25 in 2012

• Gerry H says:

Yeah, good times. I’ve been in Ottawa since the early 1990′s. Don’t often get to K-Town (oh, how I miss the smell of coffee roasting at Cook’s). Thought I might be seeing more of the place when my daughter applied to Queen’s, but she wound up choosing McGill, instead (of which, I’m sure Boone would approve). Less Cook’s coffee, but more evenings with my girl and the Habs at the Bell Centre!

• Chips says:

I don’t get to see many Habs games and they usually lose in Van too!! Though this year I didn’t go and they won!!! I did see them shut-out the Nucks at the Bell in November, which was like super awesome! My ex-partner in the store, Bill, still has a store on Princess st. Now it’s called “The Jungle”….I was just back in K-town last year for the first time in like 8 years! Still a great town! Cheers Gerry!!!

25 in 2012

• jwhogeveen says:

Was it Freshie?

Cheers

22. SmartDog says:

White signs. Now Gorges!

Does anyone remember which thread those Gorges contest predictions were under? I have them all except my own! Pretty sure I said it would be tomorrow…. and it was 3 years x 3, but I want to make sure.

• Ian Cobb says:

Rob ! He should have a good year. Only one more to go and they can drop the puck .

• HalifaxHabs says:

I didn’t know there was any contest SD, but I’ve been saying 3 years 8 to 9 million, to be signed this Friday, ever since the arbitration date was set.

I can vouch for Hal, I missed contest as well, but he has had a very distinct and clear crystal ball on this negotiation. I would be looking for him to be the winner. Hal, you made to finite your number though. 8-9 mill is a bit vague, SD has huge prizes lined up.

• HalifaxHabs says:

LOL, I originally thought 8 million, but now I’m wondering if there was some dirt on my crystal ball… was that an 8 or a 9…hmmmm.

I guess I should stick with my original gut and go 3 years/8million.

SD, I’ll take my prize in the form of a cash pay-out

• SmartDog says:

> SD has huge prizes lined up.

What? Huh?
          Hey, the Future Shop prize is only for ME if I win!
          Others will get, I dunno, a $2 Tim’s card and something I picked up at the flea market last week-end. And that’s if I LIKE you!

• HalifaxHabs says:

Sorry SD, too late… you are contractually obligated to provide $10000 to the winner.

This is an amazing picture of the Vancouver riot, click onto any face in the crowd of 200,000 people. And it will come clear. You might be there.!!

24. TorontoHabsFan says:

This, to me, is absolutely stunning: Chris Pronger is currently 36 years old and his contract with Philadelphia runs for another SIX years.

With a cap hit of $4.9m/yr.

I’d be amazed if he’s playing at a high level for another two seasons…

25. Chuck says:

Any thoughts on Cheechoo signing with the Blues for a year?

26. NL_habs_fan says:

Would anyone else be intrigued by a third line consisting of

Kostitsyn – Eller – White

(was that a line combo we used last year?)

I am worried all this Burke bashing will lead to Hostility. Oh wait sorry that is now a good quality in a player we should be looking for.

I hope Ryan White is Hostile, sorry that just sounds stupid. I will save that for Mr. Biggs courtesy Mr. Burke.

• longbow says:

Seeing the video of the Laffs prospect camp,Biggs really can’t skate.Can’t wait to see how all that plays out.

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

I don’t recall details, but somehow part of me remembers Pierre MacGuire somehow saying he would have been good pick for Habs, even though in his predraft rankings he had Biggs going much later.

Anyways, I am sure the guy will be a tough rugged 3/4th line player. But not worth trading up agressively for.

• longbow says:

I’m sure Biggs and Percy would have been there at 25th and 30th.They wasted a second round pick moving up.They quite possibly could have traded down a few places and still had them.Would have picked up another lower pick in the process. It’s nice of them to make these mistakes.

Hey it worked for Burke though, the fans drank up this fruity sugar drink and have really bought into Biggs being the next Lucic already.

• longbow says:

They’re gonna rake in the money either way.Good for them,just as long as they suck on the ice.

28. Rugger says:

Come on Boone and gang, just about every player ever signed by the Habs in recent years gets an immediate new page on HI/O – where is the White post?

29. Chuck says:

DD changing his number to 51? I just might have to get a new nameplate for my Bouillon jersey.

30. Old Bald Bird says:

Hold on! I think we’ve got the Ryan White thing wrong. According to a CBC headline, we signed somebody called Gritty White. Anybody heard of him?

31. punkster says:

Man, it’s the annual Bash Berkie Day here on HI/O and I have to go out for the afternoon. Why didn’t someone remind me?

Look, keep the party going until I get back. I’ll join in for the Berkie BBQ Beatdown tonight.
    ***Subbang Baby!!!***

32. davelecave says:

According to several tweets, Ryan White signed for 625,000$/1 year/one-way

33. Exit716 says:

Given Molson’s massive sponsorship deal with the NHL, I would expect that there won’t be any BS rulings going against the Habs in the future?

34. Chuck says:

Kind of surprised that Ryan didn’t hold out for the extra 25-grand.

35. JD_ says:

Ah-heh-heh-hem…hem…mhmm…

Burkie sux.

That is all.

36. j2c says:

I have a question, does Beaulieu have to be signed to an entry level contract this season even if he is going back to junior? Leblanc did when he went over to the Montreal Juniors so I’m assuming Beaulieu has to as well.

• SeriousFan09 says:

No, MTL has until June 1st, 2013 to sign Beaulieu to an EL Contract as per the terms of drafting any player that is not committed to NCAA hockey. Albeit with Beaulieu having only a single year of QMJHL eligibility left before he can turn to the pro level, he’ll likely be signed in the off-season following the 11-12 season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• savethepuck says:

Do you actually know all this $#it, or do you usually have to look it up?

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• SeriousFan09 says:

The player’s rights rules I know well enough because I’ve had to check that over and over again, you have a little less than 2 years from the point of drafting any European-league player (save KHL, due to the lack of a hard transfer agreement) or Major Junior player to a contract before you lose their rights and with NCAA, it’s until the player has completed their 4 years there so despite Kristo being a 2008 draft pick, MTL holds his rights until August 15, 2013 as he played a year of USHL Junior A before he went to UND.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Un Canadien errant says:

SF, I have a couple of resource sites bookmarked. I have the team depth chart at Faceoff.com, as well as the team sites at CapGeek and Hockey’s Future. Another one is a FAQ on the CBA on the NHL site.

Any others you’d recommend?

———————————

• SeriousFan09 says:

For details and stats about every player associated with the Canadiens, http://habsprospects.hockeyhq.net/ is a godsend, it helps me a lot for finding quick details. Hockey Reference and Internet Hockey Database are another couple of sites you can use for quick research trips.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• GrimJim says:

@Un Canadien Errant
            for in-depth statistics try hockeyanalytics.com or behindthenet.ca
            also thegoalieguild.com specializes in scouting goalies if you’re interested in them specifically

• Un Canadien errant says:

I like habsprospect, lots of good info there, it will answer a lot of my questions as I scheme the impossible schemes. Thanks for that, wonder how I never stumbled across it.

HockeyDB is one of my favourite time wasters, I look at past drafts and imagine what could have been.

———————————

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the suggestions GrimJim, I’ve bookmarked HockeyAnalytics, having problems with behindthenet.ca, looks like they’ve switched hosts. I’ll try later.

Good article already on the draft lottery, which confirms my suspicion: once you’re out of the top 5 or so, always trade down when you can. Better to have two lottery tickets than one.

———————————

• DearyLeary says:

I thought most people knew the basics of signing drafted players.

37. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Down Goes Brown on the Richards saga…

“Realizing that he’s on the verge of winning the bidding and agreeing to a contract that would have a devastating impact on the Rangers’ long-term salary cap situation, Sather instructs his scouts to go ahead and get a head start on working out the trade that will send Richards to Montreal once he isn’t good anymore.”

hahaha! Have to respect a good zinger even if it’s in our direction!

38. Chris says:

As junior jerseys go, that one is alright. And it certainly fits the recent trend of teams going for retro looks (St. Michael’s Majors being the most recent in the OHL).

Still, as much as people hate barber pole uniforms, my favourite OHL jersey is still the Ottawa 67′s. And I confess to liking the Soo Greyhounds all red uniform…it’s pretty striking when you see them live. London, Kitchener and Windsor are all great uniforms too.

Worst OHL jersey (other than those horriawful monstrosities that the Kingston Frontenacs broke out for their Don Cherry tribute night) would probably be any of the ones using a comic strip style logo…I hate those.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I completely agree – the 1990s wrought a lot of pain on this world…none worse than the advent of the cartoon sports logo!

The most egregious example being my hometown Battalion. That’s a crime against humanity!

(I’ve always been fond of Windsor’s uniform)

• Chris says:

My hometown Guelph Storm had a truly brutal jersey in the mid 1990′s…pale blue background, terrible logo, white shoulders. Nothing redeeming about that thing.

Brampton’s is a pretty bad jersey. But you guys have a great fan base, so that makes up for it a bit.

There’s almost nothing redeeming about the Ice Dogs: based off Don Cherry (strike one), had to move recently due to lack of fan support (strike two) and a brutal jersey (strike three).

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Ugh – that robotic dog logo they had in the ’90s was atrocious. Guelph’s *was* bad…Barrie’s continues to reek. Ottawa ruined their classic barber pole with that terrible stylized logo.

I must agree with you again, the Grey Hounds logo is another classic – I’m currently drinking my coffee out of my favourite Grey Hounds mug!

About 10 years I thought it would be awesome to get an old school QMJHL jersey – I had vague recollections of Felix Potvin’s and Mario Lemieux’s looking very retro and awesome. I was horrified to discover that almost every team in the Q had updated their uniform to look more like an IHL team. Such a waste.

• Chris says:

Kitchener’s Remembrance Day jerseys are almost always phenomenal. If I bought an OHL jersey, that would probably be my first choice…and I despise the Rangers. :)

Yeah, the Quebec league’s rejuvenated jerseys are generally not my cup of tea. The Ramparts have a nice jersey, and I actually like the Val D’Or jersey. But the rest of them are a bit silly.

And I have to point out that many of the OHL teams did the same thing a few years ago, but are gradually switching back. The Spitfires had shifted away from their iconic logo for a couple of years before they returned to it. Same goes for the Soo Greyhounds, who finally got rid of their own comic style logo for the classic Greyhounds logo.

The Knights keep tikering with their jersey, to varying levels of success. The current incarnation is a little disappointing.

The Belleville Bulls still have a stupid comic Bull for their white jersey, but they use their classic logo on the yellow and black jerseys that I prefer.

I think I’m one of the few that loves the bright yellow jerseys. I have a Sweden Tre Kronor jersey, as I think it is the best jersey in all of hockey.

39. BeeGee says:

I’m a bit surprised White didn’t get a 2 year deal. Guess the risk isn’t very high but I still find it strange. Unless it’s a two way…

• HalifaxHabs says:

He’ll be RFA next year just like this year, so no worries on losing him. And if he is going to be a full time player for us this year, his value could go up significantly this year. He’s agent probably didn’t want to lock him into a lower salary for any term.

Just a guess

• BeeGee says:

You’re probably right. Not worried but indeed my guess would be that his value will go up and that’s why I would have liked to see a 2 year deal. Shouldn’t matter too much in the end though.

40. Bugs says:

Any’o'yehs seen this piece? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/adrian_dater/07/12/brian.burke.maple.leafs/index.html?sct=nhl_t11_a0
    Burke goes on about Dion and says “ever since he done showed up, the team is 45-36-11, and that means we’re a great-great team!” (forgive the exuberant paraphrasing)
    Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but 45-36-11 is just another way of sayin 45-47, no? I mean, it wouldn’t be WRONG to say that ever since Dion’s been a leaf, their team has lost more games than they’ve won, no?
    This is the best Burke can do in the braggin department for Dion, and I consider Burke a smart man…but…OUCH, man. It’s sad.
    It’s a sad situation over there.

• BeeGee says:

What’s with the Burke fixation? It seems one in every 15 posts is about this guy… I mean, sure it’s nice to make fun of them but there’s starting to be too much leaf info up in here…

• HabFanSince72 says:

Excluding your reply I count one post out of 58.

• BeeGee says:

Right… guess I should have actually counted all the references in all the posts from the last 10 articles and made an average… but still, you get my point.

• Bugs says:

We talked more about kool-aid than we did about Burke in the last 10 articles. You must agree with that.
            Sounds more like you’re fixating since you reacted more to mention of Burke than mention of kool-aid, no?

• BeeGee says:

LOL. Enough’s been said about the kool-aid already, I didn’t dare to mention it!! ; )

But yeah, if you want my sh*tlist, here it is:
            - Burke
            - Kool-aid
            - Impossible trades
            - Junior teams

• BeeGee says:

Try your Burke count now…

• J_P says:

It’s because Burke does such a great job of making sure to keep up his public appearances. The guy’s got the biggest ego, and still wants to be in the news even if his team sucks.

• JayBee says:

I also don’t quite understand the Burke hate. He’s a hell of a GM. I’d take him over Gauthier ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. I like him…hate the Leafs though.

• Bugs says:

That’s because you’re a leaf fan.
        But we wanna win.
        It’s different up here. You guys don’t get it.

• SeriousFan09 says:

You’re right, we need a GM who so poorly evaluates his team he gives away a 2nd overall and a 9th overall pick to a Divisional rival for a 1-dimensional 30-goal scorer.

Everything Burke has done for two years now has been about trying to undo the giant mistake he made. He has no talent for goaltending evaluation (see his Vancouver years or the carousel in TO for proof of that) and his drafting record in his career is completely based on his lottery pick selections to make himself look good.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• avatar_58 says:

I like that Pierre McGuire blamed it all on previous management. Funny because Burke was the one who blew the team up twice, and the one who traded for Kessel. This is ALLLL his.

• JayBee says:

I know since they’re the Leafs, you can’t evaluate them objectively. Brian Burke has been GM of several teams. His resume trumps both Gauthier and Gainey’s 10 times over.

Yes, the Kessell deal wasn’t good. But Kessell is still 23 and scoring 30+ goals a season. I’d say that’s lottery pick value. So the Seguin/Kessell trade is a wash. So he added a 1st and a 2nd. If you want to get elite talent, you must overpay. Look at what LA gave up for friggin Penner. So yes, he overpaid greatly but I see what he was doing. He took a chance.

Aside from that, he made some very good trades. The Beauchemin signing you can think was crap…but most FA signings are usually crap. He was still able to get rid of Beauchemin and got some good pieces back. He found a taker for Lebda. And he’ll find someone to take Komi.

Go look up Gauthier’s record and Burke’s and tell me with a straight face that Gauthier’s is better. The guy who traded Selanne for Jeff Friesen. The guy who OK’d the Gomez trade.

Put your Leaf hate aside for one second.

• SeriousFan09 says:

How does his resume trump Gainey’s? They each have one Cup Ring and Gainey’s Dallas team made it back to the Finals after they won, they didn’t miss the playoffs the following year.

Only the biggest Burke apologist in the world says Kessel for Seguin/Hamilton/Knight comes out even, no one with a real grasp on reality is on that side of the argument. Just because LA got suckered into a bad deadline deal doesn’t excuse that Burke’s arrogance and poor judgement led him to think he wasn’t giving away high picks with the state of his team and a 30-goal scorer was going to change everything. He took a chance on a player you can’t build a tearm around instead of patiently waiting out the draft and really building TO because they and still are a bottom-tier team and a lot of that has to do with mind-blowing and ill-deserved arrogance Burke drags around with him, acting like he’s some kind of modern-day Sam Pollock. And let’s not forget sticking to his “Principles” about not trading around Christmas, when he was the guy who traded Peter Zezel to Phoenix, when he’d asked to be dealt to Toronto b/c his niece was there, a terminal cancer patient who he wanted to be close to. Zezel retired in protest from the NHL and went to time the remaining time he had to help his family out there, he died a few years later from his own health issues.

Gainey OKed the Gomez trade, not Gauthier and Gauthier never got parachuted onto a team where most of everything he needed to win the Cup was sitting at his fingertips. Selanne was not exactly in his best form when he was traded either, which happens with star players now and then, they decline for periods of time due to injuries or dissatisfaction or another factor.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• issie74 says:

Brian Burke inherited the team in Anaheim.It was built by Brian Murphy.

The fact that everyone thinks this was his team just points out that MacTavish was correct when he called him Oz.

NorthTOHab

• JayBee says:

Did you read my post? I said he lost the Kessel deal. I said at least Kessel is a 30+ goal guy at the ripe age of 23. I mean, Gomez has 7 goals and an untradable contract. That was an awful deal. So was the Ninimaa deal. The Tanguay deal… You think Gainey could have swung the Sedin deal? Please.

Burke is a pompous, arrogant, dick, but he’s a good GM. I’ll let the Gainey thing ride..but what on earth has Gauthier done in his career to be concidered a good GM? Burke won a cup with Anaheim and put together Vancouver…a perennial SC contender. I ask again, what has Gauthier doen that’s more impressive than that?

• JayBee says:

@avatar

Brian Murray’s team lost in the finals. Burke went and got Pronger and Neidermeyer…and won a cup. I guess acquiring elite players is nothing special though….hmmm?

• Bugs says:

Oh my gosh, there’s more! Adrian Dater, total Burke devotee…
      “Burke showed smart restraint this summer by not caving in to the desires of rabid Leafs fans and demanding media…” (stupid talent-wanting fans and media!)
      “Everybody knew that Richards wanted to play in New York and get back with the only coach he’s won a Stanley Cup with: John Tortorella. Offers from Toronto and other teams were symbolic at best.” (but the only GM he’s won a Cup with, the guy in Calgary, team that ALSO made an offer? Yeah, he can go to hell.)
      “Questionable signings. Tomas Fleischmann for four years and $18 million with Florida — really? James Wisniewski, six years and $33 million with Columbus — seriously?” (yeah, everything Burke wasn’t able to do was stupid)
      “Toronto had the fourth-best record in the Eastern Conference after the All-Star break.” (that means they’re gonna finish 4th in the EC next year, don’t you see?)
      “The same critics who wanted Burke to do something big are the same ones who…” (I swear to god, Dater actually uses this childish argument we see here on this site from time to time, the “saaaaaame people” argument that is specifically designed to accuse everyone of being a flip-flopper except the argument-user)
      “The Leafs could use another marquee-type scorer, but who couldn’t?” (Yeah! The leafs are just like eeeeevery other team in the league. They’re just like Detroit, they’re just like San Jose, they’re just like Philly in that they could ALSO use a top-scorer, so why run them down when every other team is like them?)
      It’s beautiful apologism, considerin how hard it is to defend ineptitude without sounding stupid.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I think Brian Burke is putting his usual positive spin on things. That stat had escaped me when I read the article yesterday, the fact that they’re not quite .500, but I did buy in to the uptick when he is on the ice. I thought there were grumblings that Mr. Phaneuf wasn’t quite as effective as everyone in Toronto had hoped, that he had plateaued and possibly regressed since his sophomore season in Calgary at least stats-wise and goals-wise. It was good to see the positive effect he has on the roster at minimum, I’ve liked Dion since his days with the Canadian Junior team.

Having said that, Mr. Phaneuf was tagged as a sure member of the Canadian Olympic team for two or three incarnations, and didn’t make this team, despite the commercials he made with Jarome Iginla in 2009. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ICU1cCH6F0) I think Mr. Burke traded for the original incarnation of Mr. Phaneuf, or at least hoped he’d rediscover that game in Toronto.

The stat also made me think of the similar stat with Mr. Markov and the Canadiens’ roster, and made me feel pretty good about this season. Even when accounting for the need to ease him back on the roster, to limit his icetime for the first 2-3 months to allow him to regain full confidence and proprioception in his knee, we have a solid base to build on from the net out.

———————————

• TorontoHabsFan says:

One thing he leaves out in that won-loss stat with Phaneuf in the lineup is that it overwhelmingly occurred in the 2nd half of both seasons – he was traded to Toronto in Feb, I believe and he was injured for most of the 1st half of last season.

Put another way – Toronto did well in the 2nd half of the last 2 seasons…a time when they traditionally do well, and they’re out of the playoff hunt (or playing “loosey-goosey” as Cherry is fond of saying).

Burke really is intent on making Phaneuf out to be an elite defender and brilliant captain – I cannot tell you the number of times I’ve heard the story of him changing the music in the dressing room…which is indicative of…well…something I guess. I’ve never been too clear on what the point of that story was :D

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve heard that story, about how Mr. Phaneuf is constantly talking in the dressing room and he decides what music plays. The implication, and I have also heard from a guy who knows a guy who’s cousins with…. that his act can wear thin at times, and that he assumed a leadership role without properly earning it first.

Those rah-rah guys can be off-note sometimes. Our Hall Gill is praised for his constant chirping and great attention was paid to his rebuke of PK Subban when the rookie left his jersey in a heap on the dressing room floor. Josh Gorges is another who is lauded for his presence in the dressing room, going back to his days as a Captain in Kelowna. With some others, it rubs the wrong way.

I remember Gary Carter being referred to obliquely by the media as a player who would never shut up and would act as the Expos’ captain-cheerleader, and it grated on the other players. Bill Virdon tried to yank him back into line, they brought in Al Oliver to be a different leader, one which the African-American players might accept, they also tried Pete Rose… Eventually they traded him away, for various reasons, but also for the hunch that maybe this would turn out to be a case of addition by subtraction.

———————————

41. nunacanadien says:

I don’t know, is PG going nuts or just partying? He actually signed a player who was not 6 feet tall and two hundred pounds. I am sure the Molsons are just trying to save money for gas on the bus and chartered aircraft. Having a two hundred pound restriction on the max weight for your players to save money on gas is just plain wrong! I know the Molsons have to make money somehow but making the team small on purpose just to save money on gas? Who ever would have thought this was ridiculous but if you look at the avg signings so far, all 6 feet tall 200 pounds! I’m not talking about planning for the future with the dogs, but look at Willsie, ok Cole is just two inches too tall but close to the weight restriction. It must be a slow summer to complain about size, but honestly, what gives with all the two hundred pounders on our team? No wonder we got pushed aside easily on the playoff run…..

Not sure I understand, PG goes out and gets Emelin signed, physical upgrade on D line. Goes out and gets Cole, physical upgrade. Resigns Max-Pac also a physical upgrade. Signs White, must i repeat myself.

Still room for 1-2 more boys. While we all want more size on this team, its not like the team is moving away from getting bigger, but rather in fact doing so, albeit small steps at a team.

I like where this roster is going.

• The Dude says:

Yer joking eh….look-it ,if you didn’t see enough goon action last year with Boston and an almost fatality “Max Pac” and the fact that all other teams in our division are toughening up “making the Habs totally unprepared for the upcoming season” and you figure all’s good?

• Steven says:

What do you suppose? Gooning up our roster like Boston?

• nunacanadien says:

I guess the formula of size equals more millions holds true in the NHL and we are stuck with a hybrid hockey team that only runs on six foot tall two hundred pound defense and offense…..against bigger faster teams even! What we sacrifice size so we can get speed and bigger teams like Vancouver outskate us time after time?

42. ed lopaz says:

ryan white is a very valuable piece of the puzzle.

he reminds me a little of a young Mario Tremblay – but White is of course a much better and faster skater than Tremblay ever was.

when I post that the Habs need some venom in their lineup, I have Ryan White in mind.

he brings an energy to the team.

he forechecks and backchecks vigorously and tirelessly.

he forces the opposition to give up the puck and take his hit.

he finishes hits even against Lucic, Chara, Thornton, etc, and believe me they know when Ryan White is on the ice.

in my opinion, we need 1 more forward like Ryan White but one level bigger.

I would also dump Spacek for a draft pick and pick up a d-man who plays with anger in his game.

NHL hockey is an angry, venomous game.

Even the Detroit Red Wings – a franchise known for their skill, puck control offense,

went out and acquired Todd Bertuzzi.

How do you explain that – why would Detroit want Bertuzzi in their lineup, when most posters here (including me I admit) have such disdain for the actions he took that we would rather have him tossed out of the league??

The answer: Bertuzzi serves a purpose on the Detroit team.

Detroit management has identified a need that he fills.

The Habs are moving in the right direction and I give them full credit for doing so.

White, Patches, Cole, Yemelin, are moving us in the right direction.

• Habfan4lfe says:

Ya White is a great addition, he should have been there throughout last season.

• issie74 says:

That’s why I want Ian Schultz with the big team damn-it,we need his nasty,plus he knows how to hold a stick in his hands, to use one of Bugs pre-requisites.

NorthTOHab

• Kooch7800 says:

Schultz has to get a lot better before he even gets a sniff. He was a healthy scratch quite a bit in the AHL last year. He needs to come out and play and then he will be brought up. I had high hopes last year but if he doesn’t show up to play this year he won’t be around long

43. TorontoHabsFan says:

Weird – but twitter and HI/O are letting me down – I haven’t found out what the financial terms of the White deal are yet!

Under $1m? My guess is $850k.

44. Haligonian-Hab says:

White signs 1yr deal with Habs

45. RobertAlanFord says:

The Armada? thats my nhl11 hut team name…….. and i thought i was being original. Cool jersey though. Where is Boisbriand exactly?

Wait……….we have eight impact players?

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro”, Hunter S. Thompson.

46. davelecave says:

Two questions about the mashup:

1) How is Peter Budaj the #7 impact player? He’ll be lucky if he plays more than 20 games.

2) How does Eric Cole instantly becoming the biggest impact player that’s not a goalie? High expectations much?

Appreciate the montage, always nice watching highlights. Just a little concerned that Peter Budaj will be our 7th most impactful player this season. Max Pac, Eller, AK, dare I say Gomez?

48. avatar_58 says:

You know what never ceases to amaze me? This team was created ‘like that’ and already has a nice clean looking jersey, logo and name.

So why is it so many NHL teams continue to design pajamas to clothe their players? Why do new logos look complicated and crappy? Why are the names like “blue jackets” used for anything but a line of GAP clothing?

The NHL is full of terrible designers and I’m glad none of them have come to our team. I prefer a nice clean “vector-ized” logo and simple jersey. No PJ’s like florida or edmonton.

• avatar_58 says:

Also no vertical stripes along the sides! A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE! Sorry but that shit looks amatuer and makes you look like an AHL team. Stick with a simple stripe

• HalifaxHabs says:

I do like that jersey… but as a goalie I hate when teams have the colour black in their jersey. Easy to lose a speeding puck in a black background!!!

but yeah nice logo and nice jersey.

• avatar_58 says:

True, but nothing makes me rage more than seeing edmonton in those god awful third jerseys. What the HELL is wrong with their ownership? They have a great blue and orange classic jersey – bright and bold. But hey – let’s use dull colours, some vertical ugly stripes and a solid front with no stripe t to make them look like PJ’s.

STICK with the classic stripes, shoulder colours, etc. Don’t start this third jersey nonsense.

• shiram says:

Not sure if you are aware but the Blue Jackets refer to the north side in the USA’s civil war, and it relates to Ohio’s part in that civil war.

It does look like an AHL jersy though.

• avatar_58 says:

I’m aware I was trying to be funny. It’s a terrible team name nonetheless.

• shiram says:

Sorry did not catch the joke.
          But alot of hockey teams have terrible names, not like the Canadiens is such a great names. And there’s the blackhawks, and the racist card.

Actually the BlackHawk logo and name has not spawned the protests which other teams college or pro have. Chief Black Hawk is quite a story. From what I have read over the years, most native groups there just wish that the Team would do more of tribute to who he was. Of course the teams stance on this topic is to not comment.

• avatar_58 says:

Who could dislike the hawks logo? It’s classy and very well done.

• shiram says:

Was talking about the name, and not the jersey, but it seems Habinburlington schooled me on that one as well.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

On a (somewhat) related note – the reason why all Toronto teams wore blue up was to denote the “Tory” nature of Toronto – heck, even the city flag is Tory Blue. So you get the Maple Leafs blue, the double blue of the Argonauts, and the Blue Jays.

But the days of Orange Order membership being a prerequisite for the mayor’s office are long gone and Toronto now fashions itself “the most multicultural city on earth”…so out with Tory blue and in with (maybe Liberal) red for the newest additions – the Raptors and TFC.

cheers!

• avatar_58 says:

I think an NDP team would look quite ugly D:

• HabFanSince72 says:

I recall a study showing that across all sports teams with red uniforms win the most. Something to do with aggression.

• BeeGee says:

read that too yeah… funny, but I remember something about preferential treatment from referees in there…

• jo_maka says:

Actually, the study showed that if there is a game, and the game is real close, say an overtime or whatever, then the team with red is more than likely to win. But it doesn’t work as an advantage for every game, only the close ones. Of course, it’s statistics so let’s take it in a small dosage :)

_______________________________
            Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• DearyLeary says:

Blue Jackets has a historical significance. As opposed to the Armada, which has absolutely nothing to do with Boisbriand, or Quebec, or Canada for that matter.

• Chris says:

You pretty clearly don’t understand why the name “Blue Jackets”, which has a very rich cultural history in Ohio, was chosen. While you’re at it, you should question why a team would name itself the Red Wings…that name is infinitely less meaningful than Blue Jackets.

49. punkster says:

Vinny and Cammy play a round together for charity. This could be worse than PK cheering for the Bruins. You don’t play golf with your rival. EVER!

Let the idiocy begin.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• TomNickle says:

Exactly. What the hell does Cammalleri think he’s doing? He and Subban never show up in the playoffs and now it seems like it’s because they’re chumming it up with the best players from other teams. This is very disappointing.

• G-Man says:

Bleeping rivals bleeping playing bleeping golf together? What’s next, dinner and a bleeping movie? ;)

• Viruk42 says:

Vinny Lecavalier? When did Tampa become one of our rivals? Toronto, Boston, Philly, sure, but Tampa?

Anyways, this is not the 1950s. Players from one team are allowed to be friends with players from another, as long as they hate them on the ice.

50. Iceberg84 says:

Not that speculation at this point means anything, but if this article is in any way accurate, it looks like the Red Wings would be the team moving to the East (which is what I and I think most people assumed would be the case barring a complete transformation in the current division structure). How do you guys feel about that? Personally I both love and fear the idea. It’s exciting to me because I love the original six teams and want to see more games between them, but at the same time it makes the race for the East a whole lot tighter and more difficult for our beloved Canadiens. On the other hand, it opens up the West a lot more and makes it all the wilder. Exciting times or non-news?

51. Thomas Le Fan says:

Armada and Nelson? The captain in the Q would have to be named Drake, not Nelson for this to make any sense.

• Mike Boone says:

You’re right and I’m an idiot. Got up too early to get my historical facts straight.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Didn’t mean to imply idiocy. Comments of that nature should be reserved for our horrible Habs’ management, right? Anyway, it happens to me more every day. Not so much with history but with finding everyday words and people’s names. They’re in there somewhere.

Go Habs!

• DearyLeary says:

The Spanish Armada was the big failure, they tried and failed to invade England. The “Protestant Wind” sent them on a joyride around the UK and that’s why we’ve got ‘black Irish’.

52. Haligonian-Hab says:

I love that these stories are always ready for the east coast work hours!