‘Louis is disappointed for sure,’ Leblanc’s agent says

Louis Leblanc’s agent, Pat Brisson, had some words of encouragement for the former first-round draft pick after he was cut by the Canadiens on Monday night and sent to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

“Louis is disappointed for sure,” Brisson told The Canadian Press. “But as I told him, if a player is cut now or next week, it doesn’t change anything.

“It’s not where you’re playing on Sept. 30 that’s important, it’s where you’re playing on March 30,” Brisson added. “Personally, I’m satisfied with how he’s progressed since last year. At last year’s camp, on a scale of one to 10, I’d have given him a three or four. This year, it would be eight. He didn’t do all that work for nothing. He’ll keep his chin up and keep going.”

The Canadiens enjoyed a day off Tuesday following Monday’s 6-3 preseason loss to the Boston Bruins at the Bell Centre. Fourteen players, including Leblanc, were reassigned after the game.

Joining Leblanc in Hamilton are goaltender Robert Mayer, defencemen Morgan Ellis, Dalton Thrower and Darren Dietz, and forwards Steven MacAuley, Jonnas Nattinen, Sven Andrighetto, Erik Nystrom and Stefan Fournier. Defenceman Matt Lashoff, who was in the Canadiens’ camp on a pro tryout, will get a similar chance in Hamilton. Three players will return to their junior clubs — goaltender Zach Fucale (Halifax), and forwards Charles Hudon (Chicoutimi) and Martin Reway (Gatineau).

The 38 Canadiens still in camp will practise at 11 a.m. Wednesday in Brossard. Their next preseason game is Friday night in Quebec City against the Carolina Hurricanes.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Leblanc reaches low point with Habs, by Pat Hickey

Tennis player Wozniak upset at Habs for cutting Leblanc, montrealgazette.com

Fucale’s father a proud Habs fan, By Brenda Branswell

Subban Summit goes Malcolm’s way, By Dave Stubbs

Crosby picks Price as NHL’s best goalie, ESPN.com

1. savethepuck says:

Just catching up and noticed another post earlier today stating that Markov and Gio will be off the books next summer, and it is basically stated as a given. I’m not sure about Gio, but I don’t see Markov going anywhere. There are older DMen signing contracts greater than 1 year in the NHL, I expect Marky to sign a 2 year extension this year ( possibly 1 year but I think 2 ). Someone posted the ESPN top 50 DMen list yesterday and Markov was tied for 22nd ( PK was 6th ). I don’t know how reputable their hockey writers are but they can’t be clueless. Not enough fans appreciate what they have in Marky. He is what makes the Habs PP. If he has another year close to what he did this past season, the guy would definitely be in demand on the open market.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Timo says:

I guess it largely depends whether Markov can actually last a full season.

• habstrinifan says:

If the PP does not improve from the end of last season and playoffs then they need alternatives. The PP fell off dramatically around the week that Subban was selected as a Norris candidate and stayed in the doldrums for the rest of the season. You can check it out. I recall because I was often posting with tongue in cheek a one line post. FIX THE PP. My point is that if Markov’s retention depends on the PP, we better be damn sure that the PP is consistently good all year.

2. twilighthours says:

B, I agree with everything you’ve written on Desharnais. Thanks for championing this imperfect but useful player.

• B says:

Thanks. It’s not like he’s my favourite player or anything like that, I just don’t agree with all of the extreme (IMO) criticism he gets. Like any player, he certainly deserves and is subject to criticism, but I find some of it here to be way over the top. If he ends up getting replaced and that makes the team better, then I would have no problem with it. If he sticks around for a while and helps the team then I am cool with that as well.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. jedimyrmidon says:

I feel like Leblanc got the short end of the stick in getting cut after a single pre-season game.

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Therrien on Leblanc early demotion: “We know LL. We need to learn about other guys (potential).” Cites Collberg, Thomas and McCarron.

Here’s a guy who was clearly under the impression that he needed to have a strong training camp, and, in many people’s opinions as evidenced by the surprised reaction at him being cut, he showed determination and competitiveness, and looked better on the ice than many other players and just as good as many still in camp. And yet he was still cut because management ‘knows LL’.

Speaking of knowing LL, I remember reading of management telling Leblanc that his upside was a 3rd liner RW. Not Top 6. Not as a centerman, his natural position. What the heck is up with that? Why are they so intent on pegging him as a 3rd liner RW? Everything they’ve done seems to indicate that because they feel that way, they’re not going to give him the opportunity to shine as Leblanc probably desperately wants to: 1) first Sylvain Lefebvre plays him with the likes of Stortini (no offense) on the bottom lines in Hamilton instead of in a Top 6 role after his injury then 2) in the only preseason game given to him, he’s playing with Ryan White and Travis Moen – two veterans not known for offensive creativity and who have nothing to prove. Not much opportunity to shine… If Louis Leblanc is a 3rd liner, he’s probably more like Rich Peverley or Chris Kelly than, I don’t know, Leo Komarov or David Steckel.

I guess the main point is: management clearly wants Leblanc to show them something, but they don’t seem to be giving him a fair chance and they also seem to be determined to make it as difficult as possible for him to play his game with the right players (i.e. not 4th liner grinders). I bet even Sidney Crosby would have a difficult time elevating Stortini’s, Moen’s or White’s game.

• Timo says:

He is being given a chance to show that he can tear it in the AHL. If he does, he will definitely get a longer training camp next season. If he doesn’t, he will probably be done with CH. To me it’s pretty simple.

Regarding Therrien… he should go to the AHL too.

• pmaraw says:

timo, you’re a gem.

• jedimyrmidon says:

If he plays in a Top 6 (or better yet: Top 3) role in Hamilton then that will be a relief. Leblanc is older, more experienced and of a higher draft pedigree than Patrick Holland and yet, last season, it seems like Holland was given Top 6 minutes over Leblanc.

If Leblanc is left to toil in a bottom 6 role on an AHL team, that is not giving him a chance to tear it up in the AHL. That’s almost the equivalent of burying him – it’s not like Hamilton is full of better options for Top 6 forwards.

• krob1000 says:

Holland earned those minutes!!! He took advantage of his opportunity and time and climbed his way to where he rightfully belongs….if he should have a rough season he should still be given top linemnates next year because he earned it with his good season he had.
          Leblanc should be able to produce in bottom line minutes and with unproductive wingers!
          Or wait….LL had a rough season…he should have still been given top minutes and linemates because of his previous season as he also earned his way there right? I am so confused. How does it work again? is it different in the AHL vs NHL?

• Eddie says:

jedimyrmidon,

who are you and how did you steal my post?

I might be the only one, but I will tell you that you are 100% on the mark and I could not have said it any better.

• habstrinifan says:

I haven’t read Therrien’s full explanation but I agree with your cynicism re his “know LL” line. I disagree though that channeling LL towards a 3rd line role is wrong. Maybe because I agree with them that he does not have the skills/touch/ for a top 6. I followed this story from last year when Hickey first posted management’s advice to LL and LL’S reluctance to accept the direction. But from all indications this was a non issue this year as LL came in (reportedly) in fine shape and having worked out under the nose of the organization in Brossard. Thus you are right, the quick cut is difficult to explain and Therrien’s one liner isn’t a good one.

4. krob1000 says:

sigh…I give up …DD is the greatest of all time….How about we instead wonder abut Eller with those linemates…oh wait we had that debate and he put up numbers better than DD. How about Grabovski…not good enough to play in Montreal. How about Chris Higgins….when not given top line center he had to alter his game into a checking role, Komisarek without a healthy Markov? how things going? You are all right….linemates, timing, holes in lineups, quality of icetime, pp, team style, timing, …they all mean nothing…DD is the gosh darndest hardest working guy ever…good for him….and I truly mean that….because I do truly wish the best for him…but I will not concede that several others could not thrive in the same role and situation….and several of those I believe would not even have to be current NHLers.

• B says:

I don’t recall anyone ever claiming Desharnais as the greatest of all time or anything even close to it. He clearly isn’t that, but he is an NHL player. Sorry for not agreeing with you that he only got an NHL spot by being lucky, you seem to be upset over this.

–Go Habs Go!–

• krob1000 says:

I am upset because I can’t believe that people think that nearly every NHL or top AHL offensive center couldd put up 50 points or thereabout with a teams top wingers and 1st unit pp time. To me that thoght is absurd…playmakers need players to cahs in, be opne and be triggermen…without them they are rendered somewhat useless offensively. Some survive by possessing other attributes like physicality, faceoff prowress, defensvie awareness and checking ability, D has none of these…he is an offesnive playmaking centerman…and I believe no more skilled then someoen like St Pierre or others. I belive LL could put up 40 points right now with Briere, Patches and top pp, heck I believe Pleks would put up 70, Eller 60 and Galchenyuk 60 or 70.
        This happens all the time…I personally know a handful of guyswho were top NHL picks, point per game AHLers and their ship just did not sail in…they make very good livings in Europe but no longer think about an NHl career…and they will tell you the same….that they play in Europe with guys more talneted than guys in the NHL…that they have played with kids in junior who never got the chance and moved on,etc,etc.
        Timing and opportunity don;t always knock when you expect it….good on Dd for being ready when it did…but for some that door doesn;t open in a hockey career at all….DD deserves to be there…but could be replaed in that role by a number of people. I have yet to read anything convinceing otherwise and I am trying…I like being proven wrong…it is why I come on this site…I love a good debate and this one is not provable one way or another but I can;t believe people won;t even acknowledge how many players never get a fair shake or have anywhere near the opportunity DD did and continues to have.
        he got outscored by eller alst season…and galchenyuk was close. They got nowhere near the quality of pp, offensvie zone starts, or wingers and opportunity that DD did.

• pmaraw says:

i thought you gave up….

• B says:

I have been simply saying that I think there was more to Desharnais working his way up to a regular NHL spot than just being really lucky. You disagreed with that statement and I have no problem with that.

As for what happened after he made the roster and who would have done what with all your different line mate scenarios, I made no comment on those hypotheticals. That seems to be a different discussion to me.

Again, sorry if I upset you by not agreeing that he only made it to the NHL by being really lucky. I will just have to agree to disagree with you on that. It’s no big deal really, at least on my end. That’s all.

–Go Habs Go!–

• krob1000 says:

Never said he ONLY made it by being lucky…said he was interchangeable with several others who could fill the same role if given that opprotunity. I guess i am arguing with different posters as a whole and not sorting ut who said what…I tend to do that on here. I just think when St Pierre was Dd’s age had he been given the opporunity…I think he is an example of a guy who could have had the success DD is enjoying.

• Eddie says:

I have had some very nice things to say about Desharnais here as people might recall.

But how Bergevin sat down and figured out that giving Desharnais a 4 year extension, not 2 or 3, but 4 years, is absolutely mind boggling to me.

A 5 year old could see the writing on the wall here. Plekanec, Eller, and Galchenyuk are so much faster, so much more talented, why invest 4 years in such a one dimensional player??

• krob1000 says:

PRobbably figured as most Galchenyuk would need a final yar in junior and at least a year in AHL after the injury. I get that…but last year without pp stats hgis points suffered. I am actually hoping managment is using some foresight here and tryin gto pump DD’s tires, pad his stats and make him moveable…that is the only logical explanation as Eller outscored him, Galchenyuk equalled him with far less icetime and Pleks destroyed him desite always being the guy that gets screwed…at least he is productive when not scoring…as is Eller. I have no problem with Dd remaining and I think he will put up great numbers….better than before actually as I beleive Briere will help him both at even strength and on the pp.
        I just hope that now that other options are availalbe that there is a plan.

• J_P says:

It’s not just the fact that he gave him a 4 year extension, its when he gave it to him. Desharnais was only going to be RFA with arbitration rights (not UFA), no arbitrator would have given him that deal, no other team would have signed him to an offer sheet for that term and amount, and he wasnt having a good season. And he’s small, and on a team that has pretty good depth at center with the arrival of Galchenyuk and the emergence of Eller.

If the habs gave him that extension right after the lockout ended, it would have been stupid but at least somewhat understandable, but to sign him to it when they did made absolutely no sense.

5. commandant says:

The Atlantic Division Preview (still weird to think of the Habs in the Atlantic).

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

6. Hobie Hansen says:

@ likehoy

You’re absolutely right, the forecheck did do an admirable job. It’s more you’re statement that they have to do it all because the defence sucks comment I was after.

I think if the Habs defence, the bottom four of Tinordi, Murray, Gorges and Emelin, plus Subban, are healthy and on their game, could play very solid defence.

I’d be quite happy heading into the playoffs with a healthy defence that consists of: Subban, Markov, Emelin, Tinordi, Gorges and Murray.

• slyCH says:

Ok, I can live with that D. But you have Markov and PK on the first PP wave, who’s on the next…And don’t include Gorges as one of ‘em.

• Maksimir says:

Diaz/Boullion

• doc359 says:

Emelin doesn’t destroy any offense that he touches so I’m okay with putting him out there, have Subban play the whole 2 minutes

• johnnylarue says:

Respectfully disagree, Doc.

Yemmy was a regular 2nd-line PP guy in Russia. And he showed a few flashes of that in his rare PP appearances last season.

I’d personally send him out there long before Gorges or Bouillon, but I’m admittedly a menial office worker, not an NHL coach.

• slyCH says:

He was saying Yemmy & PK on the second wave. Basically PK on both waves. You must have confused his answer with MAKSIMIR.
            Are you hanging out with FRONT at the saloon? ;-)

• johnnylarue says:

Oh god… if anything, my brain is under-performing due to single malt deprivation!! ;)

• Cal says:

I saw a very small gap between the forwards and the D early on and on into early March last season. For some reason, whether it was too many injuries or too many players were gassed, the gap grew. What was a difficult thing- getting the puck deep in the Habs’ zone- became very easy.

Agree with your 6 Dmen lineup, Hobie. I’d be happy with that, too.

7. Propwash says:

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Ozmodiar says:

Bingo!! They already know what the roster will look at, so it’s about player evaluation at this point. (there might be a battle btw Bournival, White, Dumont, depending on how many forwards they keep)

Players aren’t being cut in the order as they appear on the depth chart.

• pmaraw says:

you know, it almost makes sense….. or….. they have no plan for him, no clue what to do with him and this is just a cover….. I think MT just made a few more enemies on this site with that comment lol

This management team showed they’ll give anyone a chance to prove themselves when they’re ready and have done so. 2 rookies last year, both in contention for the calder cup should prove this point.

8. J_P says:

Whats with this whole St-Pierre/Desharnais conversation going on here? If anyone should be playing center other then DD, it should be Galchenyuk. The habs have been looking for a franchise center forever, we are finally lucky enough to draft one, and we put him on the wing.

Package up DD and Leblanc (and some other assets if need be) for a proper checking winger with size, and lets get Galchenyuk back at Center.

• Habsrule1 says:

No idea why the woody (sorry if that offends anyone) for St-Pierre. The guy has had opportunities in multiple organizations. To say he’s as good or better than DD is delusional, as much as people enjoy bashing DD.

If DD goes, it’s cause Galchenyuk is taking over 2nd line centre duties.

Go Habs Go!!

• krob1000 says:

Whole thing was me pointing out how Dd could have been St Pierre or a number of other playmaking AHL centers. Not going to happen…jsut hypothesizing what would happen if they did put him in between Briere and Patches…and you had 3 extra million cap dollars. Won’t happen just pointing out the similiarities in their games and how one got really lucky…the other not so much.

• B says:

I think there was more than just being really lucky involved in Desharnais working his way up to a regular NHL spot.

–Go Habs Go!–

• krob1000 says:

This is where I do disagree….there are tons of players who never get the shot he did…and to think they could not be 50 point guys with top pp minutes and 1st line wingers is absurd IMO. I would guess there are probably 40 guys not playing in the NHL who could put up 40-50 points playing with a teams top wingers and on top pp unit. Lucka nd timing have alot to do with success in the NHL….some guys never get their shots….and many hang on tot he dream but don;t really continue to pursue it as they did before. They get comfortable…and still make a really good living playing hockey but stop devoting every living minute to it.

• B says:

Desharnais had earned his way up to an NHL spot before getting “really lucky” with “top pp minutes and 1st line wingers”.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Cal says:

St-Pierre won some face-offs against the Sabres. He made a few good plays with McCarron and Bournival. He is the probable Bulldog captain. He will be a last gasp call up.

9. sweetmad says:

Talking about the pk,did I see Patches on the pk the other night,I can’t ever remember him being there before,I could be wrong about that,but it can’t have been often,anyway I thought he did alright,nearly got a good breakaway.

As for LL and all that hype,it was the agent looking after his bread and butter,and the GF standing by her man,of course he was disapointed,wouldn’t you be.

Timo I am sorry that you think,I was insulting you,I was teasing you,it’s just a womans joke about men in general that they all have pea sized brains cos there is no room in their testy for anything else.It’s a joke women tell when the men start on about a womens place.Perhaps it was the wrong place to say it but I find it hard to be serious,at times.Again I am sorry.

10. krob1000 says:

Commandant…yes the stars aligned….he got 8 of his 22 points that year on the pp…so his 14 points in 43 games isn’t exactly setting the NHL on fire. St Pierre at that point put up 4 points in 14 games…almost exact same pace if you remove pp time. Oops..just checked one of St Pierres points was on the pp…is it a reach to say he would have mproed by a couple of points as he gained more experience a la DD? I don’t think so.

Re your post below:

“The stars aligned when he put up a 40 point pace with Lapierre and Moen??

St. Pierre got his chances but couldn’t do the same at the NHL level.

DD didn’t play with Pacioretty and Cole (patches was hurt, cole not on the team) in his rookie season.”

• commandant says:

Guys have to take advantage of their opportunities…. those Hawks were a bad team, much worse than the Habs DD joined, and much easier for St. Pierre to crack the lineup. He couldn’t.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• krob1000 says:

That is a stretch Commandant…I suspect that after looking closely at their situations you are realizing it was a pretty fine line there and luck was absolutely a factor. If the Martin St Pierre of DD’s age had happened intot he same situation he could very well be there. Timing is a factor we cannot control in life…same thing happens with romance, careers, catastrophic evets,etc,etc. I think they are interchangeable if you remove age from the equation…and even then might possibly be at that. No way to prove it otherwise but when you look at the numbers, style, watch them both play which I have now seen…the difference is not much. I find it intriguing as well that St Pierre has earned a shot to play with Bournival and Gionta….interesting to say the least and good for him. DD will get his shot again and deseveredly so….but that does not mean someone like St pierre did not deserve a better shot at his time as well…and I hope he getst it with Montreal or someone else…as I would wish for any player to realize theri true potential.

11. Eddie says:

Commandant, who told you that Leblanc was told last year he was not going to make it as a center?

• commandant says:

Bergevin said it last summer. The organization was developping him as a winger, not a centre.

Considering he played entirely at RW last year in the AHL on a Hamilton team that was absolutely devoid of any centres, you can see the plan for him.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Eddie says:

Considering he was cut after playing one exhibition game it’s clear there is no plan for him.

I think most people see the writing on the wall now.

He looks as good on the wing as Eller looked under Martin and Gainey.

• Phil C says:

I would think if he goes to Hamilton and plays great, he would be quickly back into their plan. Leblanc hasn’t done enough to earn it yet. He has to give them no choice.

• Habsrule1 says:

All he has to do is prove them wrong. He’s not the first guy to get cut from camp.
          If he’s leading the league, or at least the team in points when an injury happens, he’ll probably get the call.

Go Habs Go!!

• commandant says:

The plan that he was a RW was made in the summer of 2012.

His 2012-13 season left a lot to be desired.

If he wants to be an NHLer he needs to prove it in 2013-14, starting in Hamilton.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Habfan17 says:

Then in my Opinion, he will not make the Habs. There is too much depth on the right side, McCarron, Collberg, Andrighetto, and Thomas with potential for the top 9. Gallagher is already there. Then on the bottom 6, Quailer, Fournier, and Gregoire.

I would say the hope at this point is he has a great year in Hamilton and makes himself a trade asset! I just don;t see him pushing Gallagher, Collberg or McCarron off of the top 6.

Habfan17

12. TommyB says:

One of the downfalls of this modern age with Twitter, Facebook, etc. is that people tend to make instant reaction comments on these outlets without taking a moment to think it through.

I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt and say Ms. Wozniak could have been a little more patient before spilling her emotions into cyberspace, but let her emotions get the better of her. If she did indeed think it through before she posted her comments, then I feel bad for Leblanc. These kind of comments could potentially hurt his career, at least in Montreal, and the comments don’t come from him. I think Leblanc is man enough to stand up and speak for himself, and he would have indeed done that if he felt he was at a crossroads in his career and needed to make a statement. Too bad you can’t always control what people close to you are going to blurt out. Can you imagine if we would have had Twitter, and so on, when Eric Lindros was playing! Bonnie would have had a field day.

• Eddie says:

The Canadiens were sending him a message. And he got the message loud and clear.
      Bournival and Dumont have passed him.
      And there are others knocking on the door.

• Phil C says:

“Too bad you can’t always control what people close to you are going to blurt out.”

Exactly, he who can control his fiery French-Canadian girlfriend/wife when she goes into full mother-bear mode may cast the first stone!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly.

Bill Simmons likes to talk about a great cultural event that will melt down the internet and immolate Twitter, something like the O.J. murders and trial if that happened nowadays. In the hockey world, the Eric Lindros sustained saga, with various players in supporting roles (mother, father, Bobby Clarke, the population of Québec, Scott Stevens,…) would be the equivalent.

13. @ The Jackal, Un Canadien errant

Please send me an email so I can send you an invite. Contact me through my web site and you will be Good To Go

EDIT:
    I like simple pools where you see your players score a goal and an assist and you know you just got two points, and not 200 for every little stat that can be had in a pool.

Pools are so much fun, a love my keepers league here in Brandon. These guys have been together since 93. I have been dead last the last three years but slowly building a nice team through patience and high draft picks.

8 spots remaining.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31
    8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
    Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

According to RDS Gionta got green light to practice without restriction.

• johnnylarue says:

I know he doesn’t get an abundance of love from we, the size-obsessed fans, but I think we’re better off starting a new season with our captain in the lineup. So, I’ll file this under good news.

Wait, good news from Timo!?

This is End Times stuff, folks.

15. johnnylarue says:

Feels like the stars are aligning for Tinordi, with Murray getting hurt and Drewiske’s profound mediocrity…

16. Bim says:

I don’t know how Louis Leblanc could possibly look his teammates in the eye and say that he is a team player thanks to Ms Wozniak. Habs might as well trade him now because they’ll get a big fat zero from him going forward. Like some of the other comments here..I say package him up with a couple other guys and get some more size.

17. B says:

All complaining aside, the Hab’s PP was still top 5 in the league last season. I am more concerned about the PK.

–Go Habs Go!–

Ok, it’s been 2 days without hockey… it’s getting pretty boring.

19. krob1000 says:

Anyone else wonder if that St. Pierre guy could put up DD numbers on 1st unit pp, and with top two wingers?

• Sportfan says:

first question how tall is he

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Un Canadien errant says:

On another board, someone snarkily declared that it was a matter of time before someone opined that Martin St. Pierre would get a “long look” at centre on the team.

I fail to see the advantage. He’s another small shifty centre, he doesn’t sate the need for a bigger #1 centre. Offhand, his numbers in the AHL haven’t been quite as good as David’s. David is already under contract. I don’t understand why we investigate further.

He was brought in to provide veteranship and offence to the Bulldogs. If he produces at an insane rate and has qualitatively improved his game, then we take a closer look.

• krob1000 says:

His AHL numbers have been scary good…if you could get similar production from a similar boyd type at a fraction of the cost would you investigate? DD happened to be in the right place at the right time and got his shot…St. Pierre never really has been afforded that opportunity. HE is not alone….there are tons of guys liek that in the AHL….I am just wondering aloud. I think that there are probably a dozen AHL centers who given 1st pp and top wingers on a team could produce similarly. DD on te other hand still is relatively young and could still explode a la Marty St. Louis…..that possibility is there…he is as intelligent and an extremely gifted pplaymaker. St. Louis is a better skater and gives himself the reach advantage and is a conditioning freak of nature. I think they are a wask…but if you are looking at cap crucnh it is great to have that guy in the organziation and the reality is I am aware he is likely there to provide some top end offesne inthe AHL to help the younger ofensive players.
        In his mind though heonly has a couple year sleft to make his mark….and he is sure trying his butt off. Dd would have to struggle mightily our of the gate or get hurt for anything to happen I just see very similar players but to me St. Pierre looked like a faster skater….again I only saw part of a game and clips on here…but he looks pretty quick. Is he responsible? don;t know, is he of NHl character? don’t know….just wondering aloud on here. I just see them as very , very similar.

• commandant says:

St. Pierre has nice AHL numbers.

People forget that DD was tearing apart the AHL and had a big lead in the scoring race in late december 2010 when he was called up.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• krob1000 says:

At the same point in their ahl careers St. Pierre put up 99 pts in 65 games…had 100 pim’s…he just was in the wrong place in the wrong time…had he been in Montreal’s system it could easily be he instead of DD is my point. Like I said they are not alone…tons of these guys out there….very few get a shot and DD must realize how lucky he is and the fact there is a mirror image of him who didn’t make it biting at his heels must either make him realize his fortune or step his game up…or else. This is in addition to the stockpile of centers already around.
            St Pierre is getting to paly with Gio and Bournival…he has obviously impressed quite a bit…it is a ridiculously low chance that anything liek that happens but if it did I don’t think there would be a drop off in production and quite honestly the cap space could useful. It won;t happen but it is an intriguing scenario and when you really look at it…..makes you realize the fine line between making it and not.

• commandant says:

Just because there are tons of these guys out there doesn’t mean they can all score at the NHL level.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Habsrule1 says:

Seriously?
      The guy is 30 years old and has played 38 games in the NHL, the last one being in the 2009-2010 season.

Something tells me he may not be quite as good as Desharnais, despite (almost) everyone on the site thinking Desharnais is the worst player in the history of the NHL.

Go Habs Go!!

• krob1000 says:

I just think DD was lucky…and St. Pierre and several other smaller guys were not. They are very similar….let’s suppose we swapped them…we would have about 3 million exrtra dollars. So you go get BRenden Morrow. You sandwich St Prre between Brier and Patches and tell me he doesn;t approach DD numbers ….I think he would become the new DD. I don;t think either them is ewith the team 3 years from now and I don’t think St. Pierre gets his shot…but I think it is not as far fetched as many believe that a guy like St Pierre could put up[ similar numbers if given top linemates as DD was. Very few guys ever get the opportunity DD ahs.

• commandant says:

I think one is an AHL journeyman, and one guy proved in his last AHL season (at a much younger age) that he was far beyond that level.

There is a big difference between what the two have done, and when given the opportunity St. Pierre hasn’t produced at the same level DD has.

DD was on pace for over 40 points in 2010-11 and that was playing with guys like Lapierre and Moen.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• krob1000 says:

Are you telling me thta when St pierre put up 99 points in 65 game sand had 100 pims he did not dominate as much as DD? That is where I am going with this conversation….one had the stars align…the other not so much.

• commandant says:

The stars aligned when he put up a 40 point pace with Lapierre and Moen??

St. Pierre got his chances after that 99 point season (getting in 33 games in the NHL over the next three years) but couldn’t do the same at the NHL level.

Lately he’s older and his recent numbers aren’t at the same level in the AHL as they were immediately after the 2005 NHL lockout when scoring was up across all leagues as the refs called more penalties…. see 130 point NHL scoring leaders, 48 goal Brian Gionta, 56 goal Jonathan Cheechoo, and other anomalies of those first few years post 2005 lockout.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

20. commandant says:

A note on Nygren’s Salming award win.

Previous winners of the 6 year old trophy.

2007-08 Mikko Luoma (3 career NHL games)
    2008–09 Marcus Ragnarsson (632 games – mostly in the 90s with the Sharks)
    2009–10 Magnus Johansson (45 NHL games)
    2010–11 David Rundblad (38 NHL games)
    2011–12 Mattias Ekholm (3 career NHL games)

The trophy is no guarantee of NHL success, and does not prove that he is ready for the NHL.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a nice prospect, and he might make an impact in Montreal. That said, his time is not now, he needs major work on his defensive game.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

21. habstrinifan says:

JO September 18, 2013 at 11:54 am
    “The team is picked. It is what it is..”

I hope not. everyone probably knows my favourite rookie candidate to grab a spot but that’s not my concern. Let’s put Tinordi aside as part of the ‘team’…. how could it be otherwise? There are still players who have been cycled in and out of roles with limited or no success and should be ‘looked at’. The team needs a catalyst.. a wake-up call; an infusion of rookie energy… especially up front. There should be a serious attempt to award a solid spot to a rookie forward who has earned it in practice.

If the team is set, especially up front, then not only “it is what it is which is what it was”…. not good I think.

22. Old Bald Bird says:

Top 100 forwards

Max 45, Pleks 50, Chucky 58 (surprise!)
    I could have missed some. I don’t track lists really well.

23. Habsrule1 says:

IF the Habs make the playoffs, we’ll be happy to have Briere.
    I’m thinking he’ll do fairly well. 3rd on the team in points with 65.

Go Habs Go!!

24. AliHaba says:

Sholi, thanks for the invite to your hockey pool. I’ll be away on the 30th so can’t participate this year. Give me a heads-up for next year though.

I’m still backing Bournival as the darkhorse to crack this year’s lineup. Bergevin could package White, Leblanc, and Diaz for futures. That would open lineup space in a hurry.

So heads up White and Leblanc…there’s a darkhorse looking for your job. Get it?!?

• commandant says:

If Diaz leaves, who plays the second PP unit?

Who plays on the first PP unit if Markov or Subban get hurt?

No one has given a satisfactory answer to these questions, despite all the people who want to run Diaz out of town.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• AliHaba says:

Beaulieu

Briere

At best Diaz is a very slight upgrade from Weber and/or Kaberle.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think we still need Raphaël Diaz, even with Daniel Brière. P.K. and Andrei are two d-men who can play the PP, and aside from Mr. Diaz no other d-man can. So he would be #3, and maybe Daniel Brière is a solution as our second wave point man, our #4. If we send Raphaël packing, we’re back to the drawing board, and Francis Bouillon and Josh Gorges are getting second-wave time, and that’s not desirable.

EDIT: I see that you added Nathan Beaulieu as an option, but the kid plain ain’t ready to play in the NHL. He needs to improve his game and grow up. He should stay in the minors for another season, then we re-assess.

Yannick Weber struggled immensely, while Tomas Kaberle was useless. Raphaël Diaz is a marked improvement on both, was quite effective in some situations. We need to find out if he has improved, if he’s recovered from his concussion issues, and if the right partner makes him take his game to another level. If we trade him now we get nothing, and we didn’t really give the guy a chance. Let’s be patient.

• commandant says:

Beaulieu is not ready for the NHL.

As for Briere, you don’t see forwards on the point of the 2nd PP unit, it leaves them in a vulnerable spot when the penalty ends and you are 5 on 5 with a forward on defence. They are usually first unit or not at all. You are also taking away Briere’s strength on the PP by putting him in a position he didn’t play in philly or Buffalo.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Sportfan says:

Diaz leaves we get to watch Gorges and Bouillon do it all over again 82 games of that crap OH boy how fun….

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Maritime Ronn says:

As is the case with Desharnais (Eller/Chuckie) , Diaz fills a need/hole until 1 of Nygren-Beaulieu-Dietz are ready

That could be as early as trade deadline or sometime next year.
      Diaz is also a UFA at season’s end and it will be all telling how Habs management plays this out

25. JO says:

The team is picked. It is what it is. hoping for a good season. Playoffs maybe. Stanley cup. Not even close …. And by the way. Louie shouldn’t be disappointed. He has a ways to go to be a NHLer!!

Where are people getting the report that Murray is hurt… and what does “hurt” mean?

27. habstrinifan says:

Good Morning to all! Horrible train-bus crash in my home city Ottawa. Thoughts go out to all family, friends, witnesses to this sad occurrence.

28. Mavid says:

Was their any discussion (that I missed ) on Spezza being named captain? I think its a terrible choice, should have been Chris Phillips..

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

29. The Jackal says:

@Sholi

I’m down to be in your hockey pool if you’re still looking for players

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

30. Habifax says:

LL will be a 3rd liner at best so it is only because of his ancestry and the fact he was a 1st rounder he is getting all this attention. Time to move on from him and focus on guys on the team.

I don’t know why society in general is so focused on all this twitter crap. They used to say talk was cheap well so is twitter. Tired of it. If tweets are factual and information based then ok it adds something. If it is a girlfriend/wife/brother/mother/father/athlete/actor etc whining or tweeting thoughts about this or that who really cares. Life is too short to get wrapped up in other peoples thoughts. End rant.

Not sure Biere is first line material along with DD. Could be 2 3rd liners on the first line. I do think Therrien needs to end the bromance with DD.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We used to whine and bitch in the locker room, at the pub, around the kitchen table, between classes with our friends… It’s a normal reaction. The unfortunate thing about Twitter is that there are a lot of people who think what they’re thinking is interesting and valid and must be shared, but now it’s not just our family or close friends who’ll forgive us our foibles, but the entire world. It’s a recipe for disaster.

• Habifax says:

agreed! We also were taught not to let mere words get to us. Have a thicker skin it guess. Seems now someone says something and the whole world freaks out. Different times different world.

31. Maritime Ronn says:

Courtesy of TSN

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs advise Douglas Murray is sitting out today’s practice with a lower body injury.

D Wed practice:
    Markov – Diaz,
    Gorges – Subban,
    Bouillon – Tinordi,
    Drewiske- Pateryn.

Gionta is practising on a line with St-Pierre and Bournival.
    This is the captain’s first contact practice since training camp opened.

Practice lines:
    Bourque – Plekanec – Prust
    Pacioretty – Desharnais – Briere
    Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
    Moen – White – Blunden

32. adamkennelly says:

why are they bothering with Blunden? don’t think I have ever seen him do anything remotely close to impressive…

• Habifax says:

he adds some depth for cheap that is all. big, can skate needs to hit. will not be a major factor in any scenario.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Decent size and speed, low cost, replacement forward while Brian Gionta and George Parros heal up. Has to clear waivers when sent down, has done so a couple of times, so yeah, he’s no great prize, but we gotta dance with the ones we brunged.

• JUST ME says:

Totally agree with you. Career AHL er. Dozens and dozens of players like him in the league and i tend to think that of all those ones , there must be a better one .

• Forum Dog says:

Agreed. All he does is skate around and run into team-mates and opposition players indiscriminately. Better off playing a younger guy who might actually learn something and do something with the ice time.

Don’t like the looks of the Bourque-Plekanec-Prust line. Bet better off swapping Prust and Briere. Give Plekanec at least one skilled winger….

33. krob1000 says:

Too bad can’t find a way to get Morrow under cap
    Patches-DD-Briere, Moen-Eller-Bourque, Morrow-Pleks-Gio, Gally-Galch-Prust
    Imagine rolling those 4 lines..no 4th line but grit on every line except the DD line and every line capable of scoring…Bourque also plays better on right side doesn’t he? Could flip Morrow and Moen but that is solid….White could also play wing and have all center si n position…I really liked Prust with the kids.

34. Marc10 says:

I get the hate on Briere and his size is a problem. The upshot is he probably has more left in the tank and is a true competitor who gets the whole CH thing and will throw the kitchen sink at this one.

Next year we can go out and replace Gio with a monster… Assuming we can get our hands on one… And hopefully that balances things out the right way.

Markov… That’s the big question mark this year. Not Briere, imo.

35. Propwash says:

Murray has a lower body injury. Season is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

36. likehoy says:

my two cents on the recent comings of the Habs.

1) LL is only 22 and Pacioretty’s first full season with the habs was when he was 23 (he scored 33 goals and 65 points). The kid has time. Desharnais’s first full season was when he was 25.

2) DB48 looks good out there. He might not be as aggressive as he was 5 years ago, but he’s still got a great pair of hands and lots of experience. I saw him carrying the puck in on the PP and he had a player half an inch away from the puck but Briere kept dangling it on a string to drag the player with him giving the defender false hope of reaching the puck.

3) our defensive game is gonna depend on our forecheck cause our top 6 D aren’t the type that can handle the defensive duties on their own .

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not sure the forecheck is going to be the savior you’re looking for? Desharnais, Briere, Gionta, Gallagher, Plekanec aren’t exactly the type to crash and bang on the forecheck and cause turnovers.

I think it will or should be up to Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, Gorges and Murray to make the Canadiens end a tough place to play with limited space to maneuver.

How long is this Pacioretty – Desharnais – Briere thing going to last?

38. Maksimir says:

I must admit I think Habs will be in a dog fight to make the playoffs.. but I am looking forward to the BGally-Eller-Gally line and see how they play with more minutes… hope MT keeps them together and gives them PP time.

In other news: Murray hurt already? Greeaaat…