‘Louis is disappointed for sure,’ Leblanc’s agent says

Louis Leblanc’s agent, Pat Brisson, had some words of encouragement for the former first-round draft pick after he was cut by the Canadiens on Monday night and sent to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

“Louis is disappointed for sure,” Brisson told The Canadian Press. “But as I told him, if a player is cut now or next week, it doesn’t change anything.

“It’s not where you’re playing on Sept. 30 that’s important, it’s where you’re playing on March 30,” Brisson added. “Personally, I’m satisfied with how he’s progressed since last year. At last year’s camp, on a scale of one to 10, I’d have given him a three or four. This year, it would be eight. He didn’t do all that work for nothing. He’ll keep his chin up and keep going.”

The Canadiens enjoyed a day off Tuesday following Monday’s 6-3 preseason loss to the Boston Bruins at the Bell Centre. Fourteen players, including Leblanc, were reassigned after the game.

Joining Leblanc in Hamilton are goaltender Robert Mayer, defencemen Morgan Ellis, Dalton Thrower and Darren Dietz, and forwards Steven MacAuley, Jonnas Nattinen, Sven Andrighetto, Erik Nystrom and Stefan Fournier. Defenceman Matt Lashoff, who was in the Canadiens’ camp on a pro tryout, will get a similar chance in Hamilton. Three players will return to their junior clubs — goaltender Zach Fucale (Halifax), and forwards Charles Hudon (Chicoutimi) and Martin Reway (Gatineau).

The 38 Canadiens still in camp will practise at 11 a.m. Wednesday in Brossard. Their next preseason game is Friday night in Quebec City against the Carolina Hurricanes.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Leblanc reaches low point with Habs, by Pat Hickey

Tennis player Wozniak upset at Habs for cutting Leblanc, montrealgazette.com

Fucale’s father a proud Habs fan, By Brenda Branswell

Subban Summit goes Malcolm’s way, By Dave Stubbs

Crosby picks Price as NHL’s best goalie, ESPN.com

Holy crap… on L’Antichambre M Bergeron said that the only reason we are talking about Leblanc is because he is quebecois.

Then Stock started talking and I had to turn it off.

2. krob1000 says:

JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs practice lines: Bourque – Plekanec – Prust Pacioretty – Desharnais – Briere Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher Moen – White – Blunden

3. krob1000 says:

Play it safe with Emelin…Markov used to appear to be Wolverine too.

4. krob1000 says:

Re Nygren…and other european dmen. There is a definite adjustment period required for any dman coming from the international game….moreso than for a forward. In the Euro game there is much more puck movement and setting up on the outside and the dmen have to stay in the middle and/or get support from the forwards more trhough the middle. The extra room on the outsides makes dmen more passive and for good reason on the larger surface.
    Nygren will need to adapt but I think he easily has the potential to have an NHL career. He looks calm and that is a huge plus in the NHL…..he jsut needs to play about half of a season on the North AMerican game to understand the urgency in the defensive zone and learn to be more aggressive as shooters coming down the walls in the NHL are a threat and it causes far more net crashing.
    Do Eruopenas front guys in the crease area? anyone know if that is commonplace in the Euro game?

5. Maritime Ron says:

Some good news

“Emelin est sur la glace en survêtement depuis 9:30″

Emelin is on the ice.
    Not 100% sure about the word “survêtement”. Does it mean a track suit or sweats?

Reports are also saying he looks in good shape and didnt put on much if any weight at all.

6. @Un Canadien errant Ref Hockey Pool

Fantasy Hockey Pool
    Live Draft
    20 Managers
    1 point/goal
    1 point/Assist
    2 points/win
    3 points/shutout

Draft 9 F, 6 D, 1 G, 5 Bench

Live draft via yahoo 30 Sep 6PM CDT…….that time may keep you form entering considering it would be 4PM in BC

Send me an email through my contact me section on my web site.

Not a keepers league, every year we draft a new team.

Hope you join, we have a good group of managers and 10 spots remaining.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31
    8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
    Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sounds good, I prefer your format than the ESPN one I’ve been playing the last couple of years, which gives points for penalty minutes, which is asinine.

My only demand if I’m to sign a contract with your league is that Boston players not be allowed.

7. krob1000 says:

I a not sure why everyone is so down on Briere…the guy is still Daniel friggin Briere. He was hurt last year and in a short season never had time to recover. He is still a 50 point guy and great on a pp….if his first game is any indication he can still kakte…the one play where he doggedly forechecked, Datsyuked the player and then wheeled I was shocked to find out it was briere…was sure it was a younger player as the guy swas really moving. Briere will be just fine…..if he is healthy you can pencil him for 50 points.

8. Morenz7 says:

Re the D:
    Anyone else notice Pateryn’s sheer strength? Big, solid body à la Emelin, and his outlet passes are HEAVY—so much so that a couple of the forwards bobbled them at centre ice.

On merit, Tinordi probably should get any open spot on D. But I wouldn’t weep if they kept Pateryn around instead. Don’t forget he busted his elbow last year. If he can put together some games in good health, I expect he’ll be knocking at the NHL’s door.

Final thought: was quite dismayed by Diaz’s game against Boston. Lost the puck on contact a lot, while making very few of the offensive plays he’s there to make. Hasn’t been the same, IMO, since the injury.

Leblanc has not impressed me so far! For 3 years I have waited for him to show some consistencies in his game.
    Don’t get me wrong, I think he is a good hockey player, but he will never be a top 6 in the NHL. At best and only if he can light a fire, he might make a 3rd line player for a team in the middle of the pack.
    It is going to be up to him to prove that he can play at the next level.
    Now I am thinking that he will only play at the AHL level for a few years and then go back to school.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• New says:

Against peers in the WJC LL showed he was more than equal to the task, yet in the AHL and NHL he has been less than impressive. I think LL is waiting for his opportunity while the Habs seem to be looking for LL to make the opportunity. He either has to dazzle them on the ice or at the fitness testing. Neither seems to be happening and they don’t seem inclined to carry him while he works it out.

In some sports if you are in the program you are given the shot based on your loyalty to the system while more talented newcomers have to “put in their time” first. For someone coming from that thought process it would seem like LL should be due up. He isn’t.

10. sweetmad says:

I am upset,I have just been reading,all the comments on the last thread,and somebody called LL’s GF, a clueless tart,don’t know who the moron was,but nobody has the right to call a female a tart,it’s names like that the kids these days are killing themselves over.

I never object to Timo’s talk about a females attributes,put that down to where it comes from,he only has a pea sized brain,there is no room in his testy for anything else,I even collude with that,with my eye candy comments.But calling females tarts or sluts,is not the thing to do,names like these have a certain conatation about her morals.No man has the right to judge a womans morals after centuries of use and abuse.

I am sorry this is not about hockey,but there are 15 year old children killing themselves over the use of words like that,this is a public place not a private conversation.Please be more careful about the language,that is used.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks sweetmad for not letting that slide by. Quite true that we’re quick to jump on the “otherness” to castigate someone. If it had been a Russian agent that had made these comments, we’d have brought in the commie or KHL angle.

• You have to assume it came from a minor and thus they will learn in time respect. Of course there others here who are just plain disrespectful to anyone more accomplished than they are.

Any adult who insults a man’s wife, family girl, physical appearances,or career is not much of a man at all. So just note the member and never reply to them ever.

Not worth your time.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31
      8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
      Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

• RS says:

Agreed! 100%. Or this being a hockey site, 110%.

It’s sad that a debate over a tweet becomes a forum for sexist commentary about the twitter account holder. There is no need for it.

• bwoar says:

Sweet, I can’t help but agree. But maybe for a different reason. People seem to choose the easiest, laziest possible way of insulting someone. Girl = slut, racial epithets, stereotypes, etc. It’s the discourse of the lowest and essentially, I’m afraid that’s the level we’re down on when we hold discourse most places on the web. I’m a language purest, and I make no bones about my raging elitism. I think “ignorant big mouth” would be more accurate than “tart” in her case.

That said, I also have three girl children, so, I’m not as desensitized to how we speak about females.

“thoroughbred”

• New says:

When you’re right you’re right. You were gentle not to repeat the actual quote “another clueless tart.” The only solution (because people just don’t get it) is to speak up. You did.

• Timo says:

Mind you I don’t give rats ass if you say I have a pea sized brain, but doesn’t saying something like this to someone undermind your point?

Calling out someone for an insult by evoking another insult (especially on an unsuspecting bystander) seems to me like a bad way to make a point.

• Cal says:

Killing themselves over being called a dessert? Please, overreact some more.

• B says:

You make a good point, but diminish it IMO by adding your own insults in the process. It just seems too easy and unfortunately too common for folks (of any age) to casually add unnecessary insults to their internet posts.

–Go Habs Go!–

11. Marc10 says:

My two cents.

We needed to replace Ryder’s goal production. Size was a consideration I’m sure but once Vinny was off the board there was only one player that truly wanted to play here and had the pedigree to fill the gap. That’s Briere. Morrow is completely done. Simon Gagne I like a lot, but his body is broken. The Flyers could have signed him but instead wanted broken man Dan Cleary. That’s all you need to know.

There were no good choices this year once Bickell resigned with Chicago. Now we wait until next year when Gio and Markov come off the books and give us more options. When that happens we won’t mind having Briere on the team. He’ll give us two good years… Knock on wood!

• Kooch7800 says:

knock on wood is right. I am not convinced that Briere is an upgrade over Ryder as Ryder was half a mill cheaper per year and got the same term. in the last few years the stats woudl say that ryder would be the better pick. I know in the past Briere was lights out in the playoffs and I used to always pick him for my pools. I am just not sure those days are left anymore with his injuries

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• LUKE(y Leblanc) says:

Marc, I agree.

Except I don’t think Markov comes off the books. Unless he choo-choo-chooses not to resign, he’ll be offered another contract. He’s our second best defenseman. I don’t see him becoming our third best for a few more years. He’ll be a great mentor for both Beaulieu and Tinordi.

I definitely think Morrow is breaking down. Leaf fans take note. This is Clarkson in year 4 of that contract. Morrow’s a bit heavier and has a heck of a lot mor offense than Clarkson, but these guys take an absolute pounding. Gagne too.
      If Briere’s injuries are a concern than it should be the same with these too as well.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Luke that Markov will be here till the end. He has enough to offer on the PP and mentoring some of our young play making D. It will be interesting to see how he does this year

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• slyCH says:

If Markov comes back it’ll be at a lesser contract hit on the cap, say 3 mill. But we’ll have to see how his season goes. Hopefully he will re-coup some speed or he’ll adjust accordingly. He was painful to watch at the end of season last. Now I realize he had a condensed schedule tacked with KHL games so let’s hope for the best.

Problem for this season is, the Olypics, ya, that creates another compressed schedule of sorts for this season. Hope MT manages Markov’s minutes better than last season.

Knock on wood indeed.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Choo-choo-chooses not to resign, or choo-choo-chooses not to re-sign? If he choo-choo-chooses to resign, I guess the Canadiens contract offer would be moot.

I’m getting confused. Lots of negatives. “Unless he choo-choo-chooses not to resign”, that’s kind of saying ‘if he choo-choo-chooses to keep playing’, right? Unless you meant “Unless he choo-choo-chooses not to re-sign”, in which case are you questioning if he’d choo-choo-choose to not sign with the Canadiens, or if he’d choo-choo-choose to not sign with any NHL team, or if he’d choo-choo-choose not to sign with even a KHL team?

• Timo says:

Markov will end up in Detroit.

• When we let Ryder go I thought immediately that the Habs would be fighting for 10-8 positions. However If Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher score 3-5 goals more than they each did last year then boom! There’s our 5-3 playoff position. It’s a big increase, but with more ice time per player I am sure they can accomplish that. The addition of Briere in my eyes is purely cosmetic so any production from him is a bonus

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31
      8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
      Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

• Un Canadien errant says:

Valid points, I just choo-choo-choose to believe that both these guys can play one more season, and that at the current prices we could have had both on a one-year deal, and they’d be a bit bigger and a better fit.

12. Bill says:

@MaritimeRonand lots of other people: Nygren did not win the award for best defenceman in the SEL last year. He won the Salming trophy for best Swedish defenceman in the SEL, as selected by Borje Salming himself. It’s not quite the same thing and I’m not sure how much merit the award suggests. It’s a small distinction but one worth making I think. Unless I am completely wrong.

13. NoTinFoilCups says:

If he has the character MB is looking for then he’s in Hamilton with his blinkers on and a singular goal in mind. And has told the agent and the girl to shut the ef up!

14. Sportfan says:

Ellis Valentine is going to both baseball games in March, he even said what section he’ll be in on saturday lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

15. Luke says:

Buenos Diaz! (see what I did there?)

Regarding the LL scandal:

1) His GF should have kept her mouth shut. She isn’t just an upset GF. She is also a professional athlete and should be aware what kind of reaction Tweeting her frustrations would cause. Regardleass of whether or not she’s parroting LL’s complaints, she has to know it would be interpreted as such.

2) LL needs to use this as motivation. Many people have been sent down to the minors and proceeded to have very strong professional careers. Max and Spezza and now Kadri are recent examples.

3a) It is possible (and maybe this is just my overwhelming positivity) that MT & MB & the staff have a pretty good handle on Leblanc’s game and what he is capable of. Since they know he isn’t starting on the NHL roster, they decided that they can send him off to Hamilton. I assume he’ll get a bit more personalized direction in a smaller camp, and he’ll be used in more situations. He’ll have more ice-time and play the PP and PK. etc…

3b) So they clear out LL to a place where he can be more focused, but keep players that they are less sure of. Bournival looked very sharp, perhaps a contender for the NHL roster of Gionta isn’t available. So you keep him up. McCarron isn’t playing in the NHL this season. But he’s an unkown, so you keep him up and let him learn from his first pro camp. Blundedn stays because it’s not worth playing Leblanc on the 4th line in an exhinition game.

Basically LL may have been sent down to focus him and play him in all situations and to allow for the management team to focus on lesser known players or the one or two that have a shot to start in Gionta’s spot.

But I’m a pretty happy guy. I think LL isn’t a write off (see my patience post from yesterday) and that management may know something about hockey.

• commandant says:

Pierre Lebrun was on TSN suggesting that this is a message to LL.

It didn’t matter what he did in camp, after last season the team feels he needs to be challenged and was always going to put him in the first round of cuts.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Eddie says:

with all due respect, I think that’s a crock of sht.

first, you let a 1st round pick show what he can actually do at a camp – having busted his butt for 3 months to prepare – then no one says anything when you send him down, respectfully, as one of the last cuts, with that message.

deciding before he even shows up that you want to “send a message”, without even looking at him at the center position in an exhibition game, no wonder Leblanc was pissed.

• slyCH says:

I posted yesterday my “surprise” at his early cut thinking they might keep him for another game at the least to boost his confidence. But he was always expected to go to AHL to start season in my eyes so…

Management obviously have a different approach. Pull up the pants tighten that belt and show us what you’re made of LL. Good luck.

16. The Jackal says:

Poor LL, I feel disappointed too.
    I had 3 waiver wire moves in my league but all got denied because of waiver priority. What a ton of BS.

What is one to do… wait to see what other players are worth picking up and what moves are made? Fantasy football is no game!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m 2-0 in both leagues, and used waiver claims last week, so I’m low on the waiver priority list. This week I threw in some waiver claims and was denied on most, since other teams scooped me.

In your case, since you haven’t been successful, maybe hold off on waivers for a week or two and watch your ranking rise, and then spend it on a worthwhile player who explodes in a game, a Victor Cruz-type who doesn’t play at the start of the season but is then given a chance and is lights out. So don’t waste your rising waiver ranking on a kicker or ‘what the hell’ claim. Just do regular add-drops for those, and pull the trigger on a waiver when the time is right.

• Are you interested in competing in my annual hockey pool? Top three managers win prizes and it’s free to enter.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31
      8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
      Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

17. Phil C says:

So Leblanc heads to Hamilton with a big bottom lip, why do we care again? The guys they kept instead are just as good or better, without the drama.

To me, the real intrigue is what will they do on defense, as that could really effect the team’s chances this year.

They have 7 one-way contracts on D. Barring waivers or a trade, that leaves 1 spot on the roster for Pateryn, Tinordi, or Nygren. Tinordi seems the most NHL ready, but the right-headed shot of Pateryn or Nygren would be a better fit. Nygren would give another option for the second wave of the PP. On the other hand, Pateryn and Tinordi would improve team toughness and size on an undersized D-squad. Tough choices going forward, especially with Murray’s performance being underwhelming so far. He seems destined to be the 7th defenseman.

• Old Bald Bird says:

The nerve of LL being disappointed. Most are so overjoyed to be cut.

• B says:

There is a difference between expressing disappointment and criticizing the organization. I hope he channels his frustration constructively to keep working hard, get strong results on the ice and make himself standout above the crowd for a callup the next time an opportunity arises.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Old Bald Bird says:

Did he though? I have read that a female tennis player said something as did his agent when contacted but nothing about LL saying anything (did I miss something? — entirely possible). Much ado about little in Habland IMO. :)

• B says:

This is not the first time there have been rumblings critical of the team from those associated with Leblanc. Guilt by association perhaps, but to me the optics of it are not good. You are correct about things getting overblown in Hab land, i can’t remember when it wasn’t like that though.

–Go Habs Go!–

• New says:

You’re right of course. A non-story. The real story will be how LL handles adversity. The GM is always asked if this or that player will get a bigger role. He replies “That is up to him.” Some people don’t care for that sort of ethos.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree that the defence picture is as you paint it. Jarred Tinordi seems a notch above the other defenceman in terms of NHL-readiness, but he is a leftie, while the roster needs a rightie much more. Messrs. Pateryn and Nygren would suit that need, and are two years older than Jarred, so they may be more mature and physically-ready to play at the NHL level. The offensive side of Magnus Nygren would also be a factor now.

The toughness and size issue that was a crying need earlier this summer has largely been addressed with Douglas Murray, so that advantage for Jarred has waned. Mr. Murray was as advertised in the game against the Bruins, huge but slow. We can expect from him that he’ll play very conservatively, he’ll bail out of the offensive zone early to get back defensively, so we won’t get much offence out of him, but where he’ll shine will be in front of the net and in the corners. This is something he brings to the table that is sorely needed. At $1.5M on a one-year contract, he’s a very cost-effective solution, we shouldn’t worry too much at the lack of foot speed. If he was more mobile, more agile, we wouldn’t have been able to sign him at those terms.

• Phil C says:

Yes, Murray does have a unique skill set that should keep him in the lineup. I wonder if he will start top six, though. Right now I see him as number 7, starting against certain division rivals.

• commandant says:

Nygren needs serious work on his defence before we even entertain putting him in the NHL.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Maritime Ron says:

Phil

Those 1 way contracts are not as burdensome in the AHL when they are low Cap hits.
      This is the new formula according to the CBA

” A one-way contract counts against the cap as follows:
      Cap Hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ]

Of course the Habs wouldn’t want to lose an asset in a waiver claim unless they really wanted to get rid of a guy.
      If the injury bug does not his the Habs hard, once Emelin gets back we may have no choice but to trade a depth Dman.

• LUKE(y Leblanc) says:

Davis Drewiske is exceptionally expendable.

IF he were to be claimed on waivers, and I doubt he would be, MB would be off the hook for the salary. IF he cleared waivers, and I think he would, his salary does not count against the cap.

So if Tinordi forces his way onto the NHL roster, and contracts become an issue, jettisoning Drewiske is an easy option.

Agreed.

How did you change your name? I thought we was locked in. Did the Habsfansince72 shape-shifter start a trend?

• LUKE(y Leblanc) says:

There’s a drop down under “NickName” that’s a “display as” thing.

Change the nickname and it appears as an option in the drop down menu.

If you are changing your name, i’m taking it!

• Phil C says:

I agree, except I would not keep Pateryn or Tinordi up to be the 8th defensemen. I would rather see them in Hamilton playing big minutes and being an injury call up. If Tinordi or Pateryn make it, I hope it is in the top six.

18. Mavid says:

Question from previous thread..we made it to PEI lovely place but it was shitty and raining..most of the touristy stuff was closed..we did make it to Cavendish and saw the shore line..very nice..we also picked up some potatoes from a local farmer..yesterday we landed at Sugarloaf provincial park…very nice place..we don’t have enough time to do the Gaspe, that will be another trip..today we are making our way near Quebec City and stay there for the night..should be home by Thursday..we really missed our grandbaby so much we decided to come home a little early

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

19. Un Canadien errant says:

Not to belly-ache too much, but as an uninformed fan who doesn’t have all the facts at hand, I would much prefer our team’s outlook if we had foregone signing Daniel Brière and used that money on both Brenden Morrow and Simon Gagné instead. Not sure if Marc Bergevin or anyone predicted this kind of market, in which many quality veterans can be had for cheap on short-term deals, but the latter two players would complement our lineup much better than Mr. Brière.

• mrhabby says:

I think MB is banking on Brier playing with a chip on his shoulder given he was released and bought out by the flyers.
      Morrow was likely seeking some term and gange just not in the picture. I like the briere signing as its purely a fill in for 2 years.

• B says:

Good point about the term, perhaps Morrow is looking for longer term (similar to Doan’s last deal term wise) which may explain why he is still on the outside looking in? The talking heads are saying he has no interest in a PTO.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

I highly doubt that he’s holding out for term, as training camps are under way. He can see the lay of the land. What he’s waiting for is a one-year guaranteed contract, not a tryout, during which he can pull a hamstring and end up not making the team. He’s given his agent a minimum amount he’ll sign for, let’s say $2M on a one-year deal, and is waiting to get that.

• B says:

I personally can’t say what Morrow is looking for without qualifying it by adding a “perhaps”. I guess I don’t have your inside information :) Seriously though, I do suspect he (and some other players yet to be signed) may have over estimated what to ask for and think there is a good chance that contractual expectations have been reduced out of necessity. As to whether the Habs should have paid more earlier or waited for the prices to drop, that’s harder to gauge. They certainly had a role to fill and did so earlier rather than waiting for any potential post camp bargains.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

I thought the “as an uninformed fan who doesn’t have all the facts at hand” phrase in my original post took care of my disclaimers, as a preamble.

I do feel pretty confident that’s what Brenden Morrow and a few others are doing, they don’t want to go the PTO route and risk injury, they’d rather wait and see how things shake out. On the other hand, I’m fairly confident their asking price and demands have dropped substantially. They know they need to get through this season, and hope the cap goes up next season and they can then pursue other options.

I do agree that Marc Bergevin played it safe, got himself a scoring forward at a decent price early, but with my pre-amble, if I had my druthers, and factoring in the persistent disdain I have for him for spurning the Canadiens before but now embracing them, and notwithstanding the wife angle, and the problems his small stature will cause on our lineup, I’d have preferred we load up on a bigger Simon Gagné and Brenden Morrow, who’d provide offence too, but improve, not exacerbate the mix.

How’s that for a contortioned conditional statement packaged in an inpenetrable run-on sentence?

• B says:

I think Briere was signed to fill the role of the departed Ryder (and Cole) to provide offense and be a big part of the power play. I don’t think Morrow is as good of a match for that role and Gagner seems a huge gamble to stay healthy long enough to make any kind of an impact.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Morrow would bring more size and determination, and Simon Gagné wouldn’t be a gamble at $2M on a one-year contract. Better than a two-year, $8M contract with a NTC on a player who doesn’t complement the current roster very well.

• Eddie says:

I am so with you on this UCE. Morrow would have been much more valuable than Briere for that top 9

• B says:

Morrow certainly is a different type of player than Briere. I guess we just disagree on what type of role the Habs were looking to fill. As for Gagner vs Briere, I just can’t see Gagner being the better choice even if he is more contract friendly (think of all the cap relief when he goes back on IR :)

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

To be clear, with the $4M/year spent on Daniel Brière, we could have bought both Messrs. Morrow and Gagné at today’s prices. Great savings to be had nowadays. All veterans must go.

• B says:

To be clear, I think that baring a miracle Gagne is a waste of a roster spot. I am also not convinced that Morrow was available for at the start of July for a lot less than Briere (even if the Habs were looking to fill that different role). I will just have to respectfully agree to disagree with you on this.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Cool. Let’s reconvene in April for an “I told you so” thread.

• Luke says:

Has Morrow recovered from his Split Knee Cap?

• Ozmodiar says:

Not a fan of paying $4M to a small, injury prone, over-the-hill, defensively week centerman playing out of position… on an already soft line… on an already small team?

When you put it that way (you didn’t), I hear ya.

• Maritime Ron says:

Simon Gagne hasn’t come close to playing a full NHL season since 2008/09.
      Last year in the 37 games he played, he had 5 goals 11 assists which would extrapolate to 9 goals/28 points in a full 82 game season.

The next question becomes does Gagne even want to play in Montreal with his UFA status?
      Same goes for Morrow.

Next up would be their $$$ contract demands along with projected playing time.
      The last thing the team needs is a whiner and complainer because of cut ice time due to lack of performance.

Briere was basically brought in to replace the Ryder goals.
      From all reports, he also really wants to play in Montreal and he could be a great mentor for the young Habs forwards – how to be a Pro both on and off the ice

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re using pre-9/11 thinking here, or rather, pre-July 5 2013 thinking. Contract demands, whining, those don’t apply in today’s context. Both the players I’d prefer to Mr. Brière would be very happy with a contract now, any contract, at modest cost on a one-year term, and tradeable at the deadline.

Simon Gagné has been quoted in “La Presse” that he wants to play this season and that his agent approached the Canadiens. He does want to play in Montréal. His UFA status is not an advantage to him right now, he actually wants to be employed, not be a free agent. In the article, he explains that he was used as a fourth-liner in L.A., all they’d do was dump the puck in, so his production and morale dipped. Playing with Claude Giroux in Philly, he had a much better end to his season. He’d be a better fit on the David Desharnais line, albeit he’d have to be on the right side, something he’s done a little bit over his career.

I’m sure Daniel is happy to be in Montréal, signed and locked in, especially when he looks at all the other pros who’ve had to take PTO’s or are still waiting for a call.

20. adamkennelly says:

where did LL think he was going to play this year? He really can’t be surprised by being sent down…there is no room for him on the Habs – not because we are set at all positions he could fill – but because he doesn’t being anything coveted to the table – aside from his name.

be very easy to move on from him…put him up for trade – get another prospect with little upside in return and call it a day…if not for us guys on the internet – he would be forgotten immediately.

• Maritime Ron says:

Exactly
      The right side is loaded up for the Habs and it won’t get any easier as other recent picks develop
      The depth chart looks something like this:

Brian Gionta
      Michael McCarron
      Louis Leblanc (M)
      Sven Andrighetto (M)
      Stefan Fournier (M)
      Artturi Lehkonen (E)

• Un Canadien errant says:

We can’t pretend to ignore the salient point in this ‘controversy’, which is that he was sent down relatively quickly, and that can be interpreted as he not really getting a chance. I wasn’t too quick to jump on this when it was first batted around on here, but the girlfriend’s tweet showed that on this one the alarmists were bang on, there were ruffled feathers.

Ultimately, the kid is under contract, and will be an RFA at the end of it, so those who think this is a last chance for him are being too quick on the trigger. As many others have pointed out, we hold up the Red Wings as a model of player development, with how they leave a player in the minors for 3-4 years to learn his craft before he sticks with the Wings. Same with Brian Bickell, we all raved how the Blackhawks were patient with him, slowly folding him into the roster, until he blossomed at 27 years old. Let’s all take a breath, let the player development happen, and see what transpires.

• Maritime Ron says:

According to Coach Therrien’s post game presser, the decision to cut players was made BEFORE the Boston game.

• Eddie says:

Here’s the Red Wings draft history in the best format I can find. Hockey DB does a great job with this.

In my opinion, the Red Wings draft success is a myth, and they have actually not done a very good job drafting since 2005 or 2006.

I will let you look over the data and decide for yourself.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I know that since their Hail Marys on Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg the results have been more meager, but my point isn’t that they’re the cat’s pajamas at the draft table, more that we seem to have a consensus at HIO that their development model is sound. We all nod and agree generally that they are patient with their kids and make them learn the system in the minors for a few years before bringing them up, they don’t Latendresse or Subban their prospects. So now we have an opportunity with Louis Leblanc, since he’ll be under contract for a while yet, and we’ll retain his rights, to keep him in the minors and let him polish his game. There’s no need to rush or make a decision now, as some posters are doing, saying it’s his last season, that he’ll be traded, …

21. Habfan10912 says:

Maybe some positive opinion to mix with the angst this morning. Has Bournival made this team? Forget about his two goals. He seemed to be battling and winning most of the puck battles. He appeared to be good in all three zones. He looks like a good skater, works hard, and is not a small smurf (he is under 6′ however so technically a smurf).

I really liked what I saw from him. I know its one game but this appears to be nothing new for his game.

• Kooch7800 says:

He is a workhorse Jim who gives 110% every shift.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• New says:

Guys like Bournival, Fournier, Beaulieu, (and others) have something in common. They were on teams that won when the going got tough. That is why guys like Claude Lemieux are always valued on a team. I think the new management of the team cares about that more than fans and the media do.

• Kooch7800 says:

I disagree in that MB cares more about the fans and the media. They have said they will build from within and they seem to be sticking to their guns. All the players added this off season have come with giving up nothing. I wasn’t a huge fan of the DD length of contract but his contract is moveable if needed.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Sportfan says:

If he was 6 or higher in height, he would probably make the team instantly with the way he is playing, but because he is under 6 it’ll be much harder to make the team, but if injuries happen I see him being #1 on the depth chart, especially if he keeps playing like this.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Maritime Ron says:

Bournival is a Center.
      Can he play a wing position?
      If not, something has to give.
      We are already backed up at the center position

• Kooch7800 says:

LW as well

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Maritime Ron says:

Tks
          If so, he may get a shot once Chuckie moves to his rightful position…He also plays big at 5’11”-196

• Kooch7800 says:

He is a good two way forward. Could also be a Centre on the third line if DD is moved. He really picked up last year with the dogs in the last 30 games. Hopefully he can build off that.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Forum Dog says:

6’/200 is pretty much the perfect size for hockey, so long as you can skate. Bournival will be a beauty top nine once he gets his man-strength.

Leblanc needs to keep a positive attitude and develop his offensive game. Habs didn’t draft him to be checker. Go down to the farm, work on puck-handling and timing where the pace is a bit slower, and be ready to join the squad later this season. Habs have a few pieces that might get moved closer to the deadline, and there will definitely be roster spots next year.

• Cal says:

Hey Jim,
      Let’s wait until Bournival faces some NHL level competition, but I liked what I saw Sunday night.

Can’t be a normal day in the NHL without a franchise being rumoured to be sold.

23. Sportfan says:

@Timo “Louis is disapointed for sure” its not because of the cut, its because Tremblay and Roy aren’t speaking still.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

24. Eddie says:

The spot that Briere has taken in the top 9 on right wing was a real blow to several prospects. For 4 million per I hope the boys at RDS are right when they predict that Briere will lead the Habs in scoring this season.

I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it. I see Briere as a 40 point winger, maybe 17 goals, 23 assists.

I also saw Briere expose himself on a few occasions against the Bruins, once up against the boards when he took that elbow to the head.

If he leaves himself open like that he will not play more than 50 games this year. He has a history of injury problems lately and concussions.

25. SlimDiggity says:

Not a lot of talk around here about Nystrom. I was impressed with his play; for a guy who had no fan-fare whatsoever. I think he’ll earn a contract and he’s my darkhorse to make the team in about 2 years. Average size, but obvious skills, wheels, and apparently a nice wrister. Anyone else think he stood out in the first pre-season game?

• Maritime Ron says:

Looks as though the Habs already now have the Max. 50 contracts after the Fucale deal.
      Unless there is a trade, they are done signing for the year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Zachary Fucale’s contract won’t count against the limit, he’s in Junior so it will slide for one year.

I count 47 players with contracts, excluding Zach, Tim Bozon and Charles Hudon who were sent back to Junior. If we take for granted that Mike MacCarron and Sebastian Collberg also get sent down, that leaves us with 45 players whose contracts are running.

The bigger pressure on the organization right now is that the 23-man roster is pretty set, and it won’t be easy to trade any players for a while as so many teams are up against the cap. That’s the limiting factor probably until injuries strike and the trade deadline approaches.

• Ozmodiar says:

He was one of a handful of players I was looking forward to seeing in the preseason. Disappointed, but not surprised, he was cut so early.

He looked good, IMO. Perhaps a spot on LW in a few years (post-DD/post-Pleks era) if they move JDL to the middle.

26. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! The 2013 draft was a good one, eh?

27. punkster says:

Before heading out for another 18 holes of character building frustration I just want to say…and with my deepest and most sincere apologies to all the wonderful, adoring, sexy grandmothers on HIO…

This place is full of hand wringing, rumour mongering, kvetching, little old ladies.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

28. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s been 20 years since I got to closely watch the Habs AHL players, week in and week out. So I have a sincere question that will probably get buried in the rants.
    The gap between the AHL and NHL then was huge. AHL superstars for whom I predicted great careers ended up as 10 goal scoring pluggers in the NHL, if they even made it. Is the modern gap as large?
    Is the perception we have that a year in the AHL is good enough to develop a guy, since I assume his development is assured before he plays in the AHL? I see a guy like Leblanc struggling to carve a place out, and maybe needing another year or two to do that. But we seem to believe that if he can’t land a spot after a year, he is filler for the farm system.
    How many guys who plug away for 3 years in the AHL have strong careers at the NHL level, compared to the number that rocket on through in one season?

• Maritime Ron says:

CHF

Looking back 20 years at the 1992/93 season, there were only 24 teams vs. the 30 of today – that was 138 less NHL roster spots (6X23) available back then.
      Imagine how tough it was to make the NHL in the 6 team league back pre 1967/68?

There may be a general rule of thumb with the exception of the Superstar forwards and even much more rare, the Superstar Dman – that being if a player does not begin to get at least ‘a cup of coffee’ with the big team by 21-23 – then break out by 23-25, he will probably be a career AHLer or Euro player.

There s also a consideration of team strength and openings as it will be much more difficult these days to break into the Black Hawks lineup than let’s say Florida.
      Brian Bickel only played his first full year at the age of 25 during the 2010/11 season, yet did manage to play some games during 3 previous and different seasons.

As for LL, of course he has time and will only turn 23 next January, yet he has to both light up the AHL, and show some great character and determination in doing so.

A small card against him is that he was NOT chosen by this present day management, and one has to wonder where that places him in the pecking order all things being equal.

• B says:

Sometimes folks focus more on where a kid was drafted than where he is in his development. They don’t all develop at the same pace and there can be external factors (such as injuries and / or lack of easy NHL roster spots) that impact their advancement.

3 years in the AHL didn’t hurt Plekanec who has had a strong NHL career (that is far from over). He worked hard and continued improving until his fairly seamless transition into a strong NHL role. Being a 3rd rounder and not a 1st rounder probably prevented excessive commentary and eye brow raising over his development path?

–Go Habs Go!–

29. AliHaba says:

A few weeks ago there was a discussion here about if there was a rookie who impressed so much in training camp that he forced management to make room for him, who would it be? My pick was Bournival and I may have been spot on. He has impressed me much more than the others mentioned (Dumont, Thomas, Leblanc). And the guy on the bubble is undoubtedly Ryan White. He has regressed if anything. What do you think?

• 24 Cups says:

Dumont and White must pass through waivers. That could impact the final decision.

Dumont is too small and Leblanc would be the perfect person to take his spot. Alas, that’s not happening any time soon. Thomas isn’t a checking forward.

I figure White has to be on the clock seeing he’s 25 and still hasn’t nailed down a job. He should be looking over his shoulder and keeping an eye on Bournival.

• Eddie says:

White is the type of “in your face” player that Bergevin was, except Bergevin was a d-man.

The problem for Leblanc is that he can no longer be viewed as a top 6 prospect for this team, and he does not show the “in your face” approach that Bergevin looks for in a bottom tier forward or d-man.

If White is the 4th line center on this team instead of Bournival or Leblanc, that tells the story right there. Bournival and Leblanc are intelligent players who can play in 3 zones and in any situation.

White is a crash and bang, no holds barred, anything goes….well you get the picture.

Since the Habs have not been able to stand up to the Boston’s, the Toronto’s, the Ottawa’s, and now the Buffallo’s, Bergevin likes the White approach in that 4th line center spot.

Which begs the question, where does Leblanc fit in to the Hab’s future?

Short answer: likely as part of a trade package.

• JF says:

You’re probably right about Leblanc. But I hope he can get enough exposure to impress the scouts of some other team. Otherwise his trade value would be just about nil.

• Ozmodiar says:

> where does Leblanc fit in to the Hab’s future?

shorter answer: on the wing

I don’t see how Leblanc’s future hinges on his ability to steal the 4th line C spot from White. Especially since the Habs have given every indication that they see White as a RW.

• Eddie says:

Who do you have as our 4th line centre? Dumont?

• Ozmodiar says:

I have White as the 4th line C. :)

I suspect the Habs don’t agree when considering they used Halpern and Dumont there last year (and signed Nokie as insurance).

When Parros plays, it might be Prust.

• Forum Dog says:

Couldn’t disagree more. White is only getting better. As a 4th liner he is ideal, especially at centre. Wins draws, aggravates opponents, keeps guys honest, and is loved by his team-mates.

30. Morning Habstrinifan! On MT, he was signed to a two year contract. He is also auditioning for a full time job. His expertise would have to be oriented toward bringing up young talent. Whether he is fit to be a cup run coach is another story and I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t around in a year or two.

My take, MT will be gone, not because he doesn’t have the fire in his belly, or screaming nature, but because you need a killer instinct with hockey smarts to get a cup. I don’t see that killer instinct. Just a lot of what you described. Should we have gone with Vignault? He wasn’t available at the time.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

Tryouts are back in vogue. Contrast this to the Habs who spent 5.5M on Briere and Murray.

32. pmaraw says:

so why is Collberg still around? he flew all the way from Sweden! letting him stay and enjoy his time in Montreal a bit more, how considerate of MB

• slyCH says:

They are preparing him for next season. nothing wrong with that. It’s their first look of him on NHL ice, as opposed to the wide international rink sizes. Among other things…

• B says:

He is also coming off a knee injury and just getting his game back. I am still disappointed he wasn’t one of the shootout guys Sunday. I also wonder if keeping him around a while longer, even if only to practice with the team, is a bit of a reaction to his not being released by his Swedish team to come to North America full time this season? There has been some grumbling and bad feelings from both NHL teams and Sweden on how and when to allow players to come over.

–Go Habs Go!–

33. habzfan2003 says:

What about this conspiracy theory.. Maybe Louis got sent down earlier than expected to send a msg to DD just because you are french does not give you a spot on this roster.. or something to that extent… interesting none the less.

• JUST ME says:

I fail to see how your theory makes any sense under the Bergevin management. We all know that wins and losses decides whether or not the team gets good grades not if the player is french or english. One must not give more importance to one or two reporters that live in the past and hold a grudge against anything and everything.

Leblanc is a good player but just does not make a difference right now with the team. I would give a chance to many youngsters cause i think we know what Leblanc is all about. He can play in the league under his own style. Maybe the team you benefit more with a guy like Bournival or who else and who knows?
      Obviously Leblanc`s faith was sealed a while ago and there just is not that many jobs opened on the team right now. He will be back up soon and just needs to keep on working hard.

34. Bun E. Laroque says:

Are there players who aren’t disappointed when they are cut from a team ? Unfortunately for Louis there are players higher than him on the depth chart. He needs to prove himself in Hamilton.

35. DickandDanny says:

Leblanc went 18th overall in a terrible draft year. Likely he would not have been a first round pick in any other draft year. He has yet to show me, or anyone else, he has first round potential. If you go in the top 20 of the first round you are touted as a top 2 forward line player, a top 4 d man, or a number one goalie someday. He won’t be any of those, so why the big turmoil? Hopefully, this is not a French issue, because the betterment of the team is the ultimate goal and is more important than getting caught up in that crap.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

36. Propwash says:

Leblanc got cut for a reason. What it is, we don’t know but there are bigger fish to fry at this point. If he gets traded, that’s when we’ll know that there is an issue.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

37. The Dude says:

If I was Crosby ,I’d want Price in net too

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

But if Crosby attacked the exact same way game after game, the way you do, Price would want him on the ice. How many times have you posted that line? Jeez.

• The amount of hate this member has for Price is creepy. If Carey Price is ever injured off ice by a fan, this guy is the number one suspect. Won’t be hard to find him either, he’s the dude with the candy in his back pack.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 00029.31
        8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
        Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

• Ron says:

Shane, maybe you should add a smiley face to the end of your comment. It leaves just as creepy a picture as his continual bashing.. Your forgetting your smile and wave advise.

38. habstrinifan says:

florida habs September 17, 2013 at 11:43 pm
    “having just watched all the 24 series at once Monday, it becomes quite clear that this is all MT has to say to the players, character and team player, yes they are important, but his toolbox is a little light and don’t believe he has anything else to motivate his players and is a lightweight when it come to drawing up hockey strategies. so this is the new mantra when discussing players, and of course everyone jumps in, hopefully MB can bring a little more substance this year.”

This may prove a very important post. I posted some very laudable remarks about Therrien in some posts last year. But I fear Florida Habs may be right. This year especially the HABS need him to be a great coach, especially in player usage and game plan..

• Marc10 says:

There are guys on this site who don’t rate MT and then there are guys like Sidney Crosby.

Hmmm… Yeah, gotta go with Number 87 on this one. Sorry.

• Supersonic says:

I never liked those kind of shows, it gives fans and the media the impression that they know what’s going on in the dressing room. Don’t forget those things are edited. There’s no such thing as reality TV

39. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

On paper, it looks like Leblanc got screwed. He’s clearly better than many guys who were kept around. There is something else going on here that we do not know about. Why would the Habs treat a French Canadian 1st round pick like this? Makes no sense. This is the organization that signed DD Smurf to a four year contract with Chucky waiting in the wings. Pat Hickey’s article probably has some truth to it. He did something to piss them off. Regardless, he has not dominated the AHL and until he does, he does not deserve to be brought up. All the best young players on the Habs have dominated in the AHL: Price, PK, Max, Eller, Gally, even DD. Heck even guys like Max Lapierre racked up points in the AHL. Louis needs to put up or his girlfriend shut up…

• JUST ME says:

I think he just is not NHL ready and got promoted way too soon because of injuries 2 years ago. I also think that him being sent back to Hamilton was decided long ago.
      I agree with you about him being much better than many players kept with the team but he has nothing special about his game that makes him necessary to keep around. For example take White .Why him over Leblanc ? Well he does disturb the peace here and there and needs to be used in certain games. Moen ? Errr…well nothing much than being a veteran with experience i guess…

He is a good kid and deserves a chance soon but he needs to score goals ,play many minutes and build back up his NHL confidence. I think he will soon be back up and that the Habs anyway are going through a renewal phase based on the youngsters in the organisation so in a year or so there will be plenty of space for him.

When Gauthier called on him 2 years ago to fill up empty spaces on the roster because of injuries, he should have sent him back in Hamilton to help him graduate one step at a time. We all know what Gauthier was all about…

40. Feraco says:

This is disappointing! His feelings are hurt I guess…probably feeling like he’s not getting a fair shake. Skilled players like Colberg, Thomas have a role to fill…Leblanc falls in that 3rd line role. Could be be a top 2 line player? I think so. I found him effective when he played 2 yrs ago. But he is also 22…still very young. I hope it gives him inspiration – he was great for Canada

Hey, when did Senators get McArthur?

In case anybody is interested…

The Remaining 38 players

DIETZ, Darren
    THROWER, Dalton
    LASHOFF, Matt

Goaltender:
    MAYER, Robert

43. JO says:

the team was picked before training camp. I’ll be surprised if one of the young guys make it. This is a playoff year and that’s all they are concerned about. Anything short of that. s – – t will hit the fan …

• Timo says:

You’d think it would but nothing will happen. We will get another story of “building from withing”, “waiting for the young guys to mature”, “it’s a process”, blah blah blah and… to top it off another year of Michael Therrien. Good times.

The only person I see making the team is Tinordi but I will be blown away if he is in the starting lineup against the laffs.

Fact is, however, is that Habs D is made out of glass so Tinordi will definitely see a lot of ice this season.

Love it. Habs are already getting a day off. Silly me… I thought the day off was yesterday.

@UCe.

You like to quote or should I say paraphrase Bergevin about “often regretting bringing a player up too soon, but seldom regretting bringing them up too late. ”

Do you know the exact quote? When he said it? Has he said it more than once? I want links.

That’s my contribution to the LL debate.

46. scotland says:

Watched leblanc in hamilton last season. He was the best player on the dogs early in season. Came out flying. went down with a high ankle sprain and was never the same when he came back. Am still surprised by the early cut.

47. somtawyer says:

MB doesn’t have to waste thinking on the dough: 21,273 every night

48. Harry says:

If you look at the cap hit, it was a foregone conclusion that Louis Leblanc would start in Hamilton. The cost to the Canadiens at the season start is the obvious reason.
    If he shows he can play as well as he displayed in pre-season & more if he does so over many games, he will likely come back.
    Right now the Canadiens management do not want to drop a million plus, when they can spend in the $60 thousand range for Louis Leblanc to practice full time until he “perfects”….remember I think we should….. that this is a big business…the management does not think he is worth a million with no sure confidence that he will play for that value to open the season

Hairy Harry

49. RetroMikey says:

Glad to be back for another season of “as the stomach turns” season for the Canadiens after spending the summer in Aruba.
    Boston still the creme de la creme in the East, while we are in year 2 of a “retooling” season with the club.
    Keep your tums or Pepto Bismol handy all the time throughout the season.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

50. Sportfan says:

lol my sister works at a restaurant in the West-Island and Louis and his GF were there. Apparently she was really nice, but he didn’t hold the door for her and walked ahead of her.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

51. PeterD says:

CHARACTER!
    MB’s number 1 requirement for Habs players.

How Leblanc responds to being cut will show the organization what kind of character he had…if he rises to the challenge to develop as a player…there will be hope for him in this new Habs org.
    If he sulks and tanks in Hamilton…then he is done with the Habs.

• Loonie says:

Perhaps Bergevin would be well served by showing quality character and giving more rope to a player who sacrificed an ivy league education and his personal health at the request of this organization.

That and actually putting some practicality to his meritocracy instead of it being fallacy.

• SlovakHab says:

Nope. The best players will play for the team. Everyone’s rope will be the same. I have no problem with sending Leblanc down if there isn’t a spot for him in Montreal.
        He can always get his education if his NHL career doesn’t work out.
        As for health, may I remind you that being an NHL player is a major health risk and that’s part of the reason why they get paid well. Nobody is forcing Leblanc to be a professional hockey player.

• Loonie says:

I’m not playing a violin for Leblanc tonight. But I find it interesting that it’s always the player who must demonstrate the most upstanding character and never the man making the decisions.

And if the best players will play I’d be interested in hearing why it is that PK Subban and Lars Eller had to be near perfect to prove themselves last season and why sometimes that wasn’t enough.

• SlovakHab says:

I still don’t get it what you are talking about.
            Bergevin must deliver results. That’s why he was hired.
            He will pick the players to compete with and his decisions will lead this franchise in the future.

I don’t know what character you are talking about. He is the leader that makes decisions, and whatever he does will not sit well with part of fans. That’s what always happens to leaders. You get hated or praised on a larger scale.

I don’t have massive issues with MB so far.

You are clearly taking this Leblanc thing way too personally. Are you his brother?

• Loonie says:

What I’m saying is that the character of the players isn’t the be all and end all of how they develop.

The people handling them share some responsibility. Or rather, they seem to when it isn’t Marc Bergevin who’s handling the decision making.

• Timo says:

Tom, I also don’t get your thing about Leblanc. Character or not it is indisputable that there is no place for him on the Habs roster. He, and I am going to kick myself for saying that, is worse that DD.

I do agree that players are measured and treated differently in Michael Therrien’s system and that he has no freaking clue in general. That was pretty clear the first time around, and I don’t know what possessed Bergevin to think that it would be any different this time.

Therrien is a dufus and the sooner he leaves the soon Habs are going to be a better team.

• savethepuck says:

Agreed. If he sulks about this and gives up, he is not a prob anyway. If he takes the attitude that he’s going to work harder and show the organization that he belongs there, then I’m sure he’ll end up back in Montreal in the future.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Whatever says:

Louis should be pissed.

If he isn’t pissed, then he doesn’t want it badly enough. Show them their mistake and prove them wrong.

Didn’t Claude Lemieux back in the day beat the shit out of his car with a hockey stick after being cut? That guy wanted it.

52. Bill says:

Anyone would and should be disappointed. As others have stated, it should motivate him to work even harder.

His girlfriend’s complaining is not helpful, and I actually agree with Marc10, whatever bitterness he voiced to her – and that’s fine – should have stayed between them. She made a mistake taking it to twit-world. And last year’s “Poor Louis” stories in the French media are still fresh in my mind too, and I should think he would be taking pains to avoid being perceived as a malcontent.

All that aside, it is weird he was cut this early. He outplayed a number of players who haven’t been cut yet. And if the cuts were pre-planned – as Therrien said – what was the point of playing him at all? After the good game Louis had against Boston, I would have taken him off the cut-list myself. As coach I’d want another look.

Full Breezer 4 Life

53. Loonie says:

Christian Thomas was acquired and gifted the opportunity of being played with Bourque and Plekanec with underwhelming AHL production like Leblanc.

Leblanc left Harvard at the organization’s request and played through injuries.

Leblanc and Thomas have similar talent.

Thomas is not only handed the golden opportunity without having done a thing to earn it inside of this organization but is kept ahead of this team’s former first round pick.

Hockey is a business and this may well be a good lesson for Leblanc, but I’ll stay in the small crowd who don’t fault him at all for being upset about the decision and its lack of logic.

Surely you can differentiate posters Tom. I think there is a larger than small crowd whom understand him being upset. He has pride, has a will to succeed and hopefully will still be able to show it. As for the conspiracy theory regarding Thomas, I think I’ll watch things play out b4 thinking he has been handed anything.

• Loonie says:

There isn’t any conspiracy to it Gerald. This General Manager acquired Christian Thomas while a previous General Manager drafted Leblanc.

Bergevin obviously has more to gain professionally by giving Thomas opportunities that should be awarded based on merit and in this circumstance happen to bury a player who has done more to earn those opportunities.

I’d love to drink the Kool-Aid but everything about this General Manager to me seems to be working for show and not for dough.

• Mr. Biter says:

Lets see if Thomas makes the Habs this year (or joins LL with the dogs) before we throw him under the bus. It’s not his fault that LL went down. Looks like some posters have found someone to take over from Gomez due to no fault by him. Hey it’s a long season and if either LL or Thomas play well with the Dogs they’ll be up as there are always injuries. Any player has the chance to make the Habs (look at B. Gally last year) but when they’re up they may have a short time to show management they belong. Who would have thought last year before training camp that B Gally would stay with the Habs (and almost win Rookie of the Year), but he made it impossible for them to send him down.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Bill says:

Agree.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• DipsyDoodler says:

With Kristo looking like he will make it with the big club in NYC I wonder if MGMT won’t give Thomas all the chances possible. No one likes egg on their face.

• Bill says:

Wouldn’t be the first time that happened for sure. Kristo has Calder trophy potential … that would be a lot of egg …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mark C says:

If that’s the case why wouldn’t they keep Louis around a few days to save any egg on their scouts faces?

I think the simple answer to all of this is management wanted to both challenge and place Louis in a position to excel while building his confidence in the AHL.

• commandant says:

“AHL production like Leblanc”

Leblanc
      10 goals, 18 points in 62 AHL games as a second year AHLer

Thomas
      19 goals, 35 points in 73 AHL games played as a rookie AHLer (also one year younger)

Doesn’t seem all that similar in terms of production imo.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Loonie says:

Thomas – 37 points in 78 games – .47 ppg
        Leblanc – 40 points in 93 games – .43 ppg

That’s fairly similar.

So maybe instead of trying to stack the deck in favour of your side of the argument you should take the entire body of work instead of what suits your opinion. And this production is interesting considering Leblanc played the large majority of last season on one leg and did it in a checking role unlike Christian Thomas.

• commandant says:

Here is the thing…. Leblanc has clearly regressed since his rookie season in the AHL. Its a what have you done for me lately league.

He has to get back to playing the way he did in that 2011-12 season before we use those stats to justify his place.

Its like using Gionta’s 48 goal season to average him as a guy who can score over 30 goal guy, he isn’t that, he’s still a 25 goal guy.

Leblanc is being challenged to rebound from a tough second year in the AHL right now… so that second year is what he’s being judged on, not the points he put up in his first season.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

54. RetroMikey says:

No surprise, another 1st round bust in Leblanc overrated by Timmins, the media and the fans.
    The next French Canadian superstar will have to wait in Montreal.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• habs-fan-84 says:

Oh, there you are. Hi!

• SlovakHab says:

Mikey, before you spew more hate on this forum, perhaps check this link?

It nicely shows you that the rest of the first round hasn’t been any better than Leblanc.
      There is only one player that so far has more than 30 NHL points.
      Then you have 2 notable players in the second round, nothing more.

So please, do your homework and maybe you will see yourself that Leblanc was on par with his draft class, which has been weak so far.

No need to hate anyone. I don’t remember anyone pumping up Leblanc, for both fans and media he is more of an afterthought.

Still, he could become a useful NHL 3rd liner.

• RetroMikey says:

Not with our team, perhaps in Colorado.
        He was groomed if you recall the next French Canadian superstar when we drafted him.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Bill says:

Absolutely no-one, not one person, predicted Leblanc would be a “superstar”.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SlovakHab says:

I think “someone” had massive expectations that haven’t been matched (maybe fuelled by media or whatever) and now he’s obviously disappointed and making himself heard.

• patrice brisebois says:

I wouldn’t take anything he says seriously. He also said bob gainey guaranteed a cup within 5 years after taking over as g.m. If the habs had beat boston in a worthless pre-season game he wouldn’t even have posted here. That’s the reality of the retromikey’s of this site.

• Bill says:

It’s funny you call out Timmins, the one guy in the organization who has consistently proven he’s great at his job and knows what he’s doing.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SlovakHab says:

You mean, by drafting 2 of the top 10-15 NHL defencemen in Subban and McDonagh, in addition to picking current or potential first-line players like Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and players with lots of upside like Tinordi, Bealieu or Collberg?

• The Machine says:

To be honest, I’ve never heard anybody, french or english media, say that Leblanc would be the next French Superstar. When he was drafted he was viewed as 3rd line potential and not much more. I think this is still the case. Do you really think he is better than Plekanec, Eller or DD at center?? Even on the wing there’s nothing available for Leblanc.

This is simply a challenge. Remember when they sent Max Pac down? He wasn’t very good. Him and D’Agostini were not going anywhere. Actually d’Agostini was going to St-Louis… and MaxPac was going to Hamilton. Certainly lite up a fire under his behind. They are just challenging Leblanc in the same matter.

25th cup, coming up!

55. Hammer says:

Should have gone to Harvard at least he would have an education to fall back on if this experiment fails.

• Phil C says:

I would have done the same as Louis. Lots of time to go back to school when he is older, you only get one shot at the NHL.

• SlovakHab says:

It is 2013, mate.
      Education doesn’t mean as much as it used to. Good choice Louis, and the connections and name recognition will help him tremendously in the future, even if he continues to pursue education.

I still see him as a future NHLer with 500-800 games played in his career. There are teams where he would be a 3rd liner to start the season.

• Bill says:

No reason he can’t go back. Play hockey now and if it doesn’t work out, do Harvard when you’re 25. You’ll have more fun anyway.

Full Breezer 4 Life

56. Sportfan says:

I’m sure he is disappointed, but this is becoming a whole Kadri situation, he isn’t proven the team is unbelievably full and he needs to prove he’s healthy. Yes it was early to cut him, but he’s only 22 and has a lot to work on. He isn’t Richard, he isn’t Beliveau, he isn’t Koivu heck he isn’t PK, Gally, or Chucky. He needs to rebound and work hard sulk because he didn’t make the team.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

57. habs-fan-84 says:

anyways…

58. Small_Town_Boy says:

I used to dislike Crosby. But now not so much …

Dat’s wha me tinks

59. crabvader says:

Keep working.

If you can’t work through adversity at this level of competition, you are done.

60. Marc10 says:

Hockey is played on the ice and although the kid is disappointed, he should look at who is in front of him and who is directly competing with him for spots.

There are no spots in Montreal at the moment unless you’re the second coming of PK Subban or Alex Galchenyuk. Leblanc is neither of those. He’s in direct competition with Bournival and Dumont to replace the first guy that gets injured. Bournival has been more impressive out of camp and Dumont was the best forward out of Hamilton last year.

LL should dial back the whining and take a page out of MaxPac or DD’s playbook. Just go back there, out-compete your rivals for the available spot, and when you get called up, seal the deal.

Whining through social media just hands your competition a big advantage. #dumb

• habs-fan-84 says:

sigh, when did he whine?

• Marc10 says:

Whined by proxy. Once using his girlfriend and once via radio (last year).

At least that’s how it would look to me if I was MB. Good thing Brisson is good at what he does.

• crabvader says:

You know, she does have her own opinion and stuff…

• Old Bald Bird says:

This site does get ridiculous at times.

• jedimyrmidon says:

First of all: The only thing that shouldn’t have happened is his girlfriend tweeting her frustrations with his situation, which may or may not be based on things he told her. I am convinced that even if Leblanc were unhappy (which is perfectly understandable) he wouldn’t want a public complaint to be made.

Secondly: Even if he did complain, everyone complains about things to people close to them. You act as though it’s unnatural. To reiterate, what went wrong was his girlfriend tweeting something that could be construed as a public complaint (as you have).

• Marc10 says:

I don’t ‘act’ as if it’s unnatural. Whining happens all the time. It’s just unprofessional, counter-productive, short-sighted and plain dumb. Why hand your competition a leg up… That’s twice now.

‘Un jour… y va comprendre’ comme dirait MT.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’m pretty sure he has complained far more than twice. Far more.

The two times you are referring to are leaks where his comments were not directly picked up on video or by a microphone. It’s secondhand information, and that’s clearly not his fault.

61. JUST ME says:

I sure hope so that he is disapointed and mad. I hope he shows anger in his game to prove the habs wrong.
    The team`s decision is for his best interest. He did not follow the usual path to get to the NHL skipping the AHL basically to fill in for injured players during the terrible end of the Gauthier regime. He then was unlucky last year and needs to play lots of meaningfull minutes dominate and he will be the first to be called back anyway…

62. showey47 says:

Could have been worse. LL’s agent could have been allan walsh.

63. Mark C says:

At least Pat Brisson was born with a functioning brain.

Today means nothing. Get to Hamilton. Kick ass. And get called up as soon as the injuries start taking place. Thousands of NHL careers have been made this way.

• Mr. Biter says:

Agree, his agent is a smart man. Say’s the right things. I do hope he does get another chance to play with the Habs as I thought he played a good game vs the Bruins and did get under Lucic’s skin enough to draw a penalty.
      But anyone who was told when they left the ice they were going down, the decision was made before the game.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

64. db says:

If this doesn’t motivate him then it was a wise move.. If it does then wise too. He’s not NHL caliber IMHO. I’m more interested on who wasn’t cut and the impression they’re leaving. Wasn’t LL one of the last in the first round?

65. ProHabs says:

Seems to me cutting him yesterday was like a big slap in the face to Louis. Treating him like he is a rookie from the Junior leagues when he already has played a half season of meaninful NHL games.

66. DipsyDoodler says:

During the cold war (and for all I know today) western govts employed Sinologists whose job was to determine who was moving up or down in the Chinese Communist Party. They would look for hints, like where someone was sitting at the Party Conference. At Mao’s table? Good. Giving the keynote speech? Even better. Out in the provinces on business. Not so good. No one knows where you are? Really bad.

It’s the same with the Habs, an organization that gives the People’s Republic of China a run for its money in the areas of secrecy and intolerance of untoward behavior.

Of course being cut today is different than being cut next week. Being cut today means it was already decided, as Therrien let slip.

In any case the only freaking out I’ve seen on H I/O is, as usual, the freaking out over the (imagined) freakout.

67. Say Ash says:

Buddy’s girl needs to focus on her own game and stop tweeting about his.

68. Cal says:

LL will make it. Many players require more time.
    The Habs can wait while he gets better.

69. commandant says:

He should be disappointed……

and motivated.

If not, he doesn’t have what it takes mentally to be an NHLer.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

70. Blade says:

First…Boooyah

71. habstrinifan says:

What about guys like Timo and me .. mid leap?

72. Marc10 says:

That’s how it’s going to play out.

She whined for him, just like someone else (family member?!) did last year when 98.5 broadcast his ‘mistreatment’ at the hands of the coaching staff in Hamilton.

I would imagine she shared exactly what he’s feeling. Shouldn’t have done it. Now it’s going to stick to him and it will be counter-productive to what he’s ultimately trying to achieve.

I’ve got no problems with Louis’ work ethic or how he played at camp. He did everything right. He’s a decent hockey player (as far as pros go) and he’s likely to make the show and have a reasonable career.

This nonsense about broadcasting his feelings does him no favours. It’s just plain dumb and this latest incident (after last year’s debacle) really shouldn’t have happened and yes… he should control his entourage. That’s all I’m saying. Keep your whining to yourself and make sure others do too.

73. Sportfan says:

I’m more annoyed at the media attention over nothing, majority of us could have told the rest of the NHL that he wouldn’t make the team.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

74. Sportfan says:

I’m more annoyed towards the media, not him or the team or his agent and what ever people have said dumber things than what she said.