Louis Leblanc’s agent, Pat Brisson, had some words of encouragement for the former first-round draft pick after he was cut by the Canadiens on Monday night and sent to the Hamilton Bulldogs.
“Louis is disappointed for sure,” Brisson told The Canadian Press. “But as I told him, if a player is cut now or next week, it doesn’t change anything.
“It’s not where you’re playing on Sept. 30 that’s important, it’s where you’re playing on March 30,” Brisson added. “Personally, I’m satisfied with how he’s progressed since last year. At last year’s camp, on a scale of one to 10, I’d have given him a three or four. This year, it would be eight. He didn’t do all that work for nothing. He’ll keep his chin up and keep going.”
The Canadiens enjoyed a day off Tuesday following Monday’s 6-3 preseason loss to the Boston Bruins at the Bell Centre. Fourteen players, including Leblanc, were reassigned after the game.
Joining Leblanc in Hamilton are goaltender Robert Mayer, defencemen Morgan Ellis, Dalton Thrower and Darren Dietz, and forwards Steven MacAuley, Jonnas Nattinen, Sven Andrighetto, Erik Nystrom and Stefan Fournier. Defenceman Matt Lashoff, who was in the Canadiens’ camp on a pro tryout, will get a similar chance in Hamilton. Three players will return to their junior clubs — goaltender Zach Fucale (Halifax), and forwards Charles Hudon (Chicoutimi) and Martin Reway (Gatineau).
The 38 Canadiens still in camp will practise at 11 a.m. Wednesday in Brossard. Their next preseason game is Friday night in Quebec City against the Carolina Hurricanes.
(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)