Lockout ahead?/Devils square with Rangers

nyj-nyr

New Jersey’s Travis Zajac (back) and Jeff Carter celebrate the latter’s goal as New York’s Ryan McDonagh skates away Wednesday at Madison Square Garden.
Paul Bereswill, Getty Images Sport

While Canadiens fans wonder what Marc Bergevin’s club will look like in the fall and who will be behind the Habs bench, the possibility exists that the season might not start in October.

The NHL provided the NHLPA with notice in recent days that it intends to change and/or end the current collective bargaining agreement. The terms of the current CBA require that one of the sides notify the other it wishes to change or end the agreement no later than 120 days before the expiration of the labour agreement and Friday will mark 120 days before the CBA expires on Sept. 15.

The two sides have yet to begin negotiating the new agreement.

This current CBA was the one that ended the lockout of 2004-05 that cancelled the entire season. The main issue in the lockout was the imposition of the salary cap by ownership, to which the players capitulated after losing the season. The fact that the NHLPA did not wish to change the current agreement means that the players under Donald Fehr — who always fought against the cap when he headed the MLB players union and advised the NHLPA against agreeing to the cap — now feel they can live with it in its current form.

The overall economic health of the NHL can hardly be an issue, with record revenues of over $3 billion reported for the most recent year. And player’s salaries have gone up along with the rise in revenues, the salary cap moving from $39 million in 2005-06 to $64.3 million this season.

Just what the league wishes to change about the CBA is not known, although there has been widespread speculation over the last year that it could include matters as relatively small as allowing clubs to buy their way out of a bad contract without having it count against the salary cap, and as large as the split of revenue the players receive from the NHL-NHLPA partnership.

Prior to the lockout, the NHL claimed player salaries ate up as much as 75 percent of league revenues. Since the lockout, player salaries are fixed at around 57 percent of revenue.

According to Liz Mullen of Sports Business Daily, the NHLPA had no problems with the current agreement and had no intention of notifying the league it wanted changes, so this is being done unilaterally by ownership.

As Pat Hickey wrote in The Gazette earlier this week, Fehr’s brother Steve, who is an outside counsel for the NHLPA, told Mullen that the players will not agree to any further reduction of their share of revenue. Hickey noted NFL players accepted 48-49.5 per cent of revenues after a lockout last summer, while NBA players lost nearly half a season before agreeing to a 50-50 split.

“I think it is fair to say that if the approach is what many are predicting, that the owners come in and say we have to shave 5, 10, 15, 25, 30 – pick a number – points off the percentage of revenues in the cap that players receive, there may be a lot of players who say: ‘Wait a minute, we already gave at the office,’ ” Steve Fehr told Mullen.

“We made massive concessions last time that were designed to fix your so-called problems. If it has not fixed your so-called problems, we need to have a long, hard discussion about what those problems are and what we should do about it.”

But Steve Fehr added he did not know if NHL owners would follow the path of NBA and NFL owners, who asked players to take a reduced share of revenues in ’11, or if they would follow the route of MLB owners, who did not seek major economic concessions and reached a labor deal without a lockout last year.

“If, on the other hand, there is more of an approach that was taken by MLB, it may be a quick and easy negotiation,” he said. “That is actually what Gary Bettman has said, that he expects a quick and easy negotiation and he probably knows more about it than I do, so perhaps that is the direction it will take.”

In December, Sean Fitz-Gerald of The National Post asked Don Fehr, “Are we in any danger of another labour stoppage?”

He replied, “All I can say is, I would certainly hope not. In the last negotiation, there obviously was a long stoppage at the owners’ instigation. Both long stoppages in hockey have been lockouts, the players haven’t had any extended strikes. The owners insisted upon and received enormous concessions from the players, so one would hope that those days are days that people can write about in the history books, and we don’t have to look at them going forward. Having said that, I’ve been doing this too long and in too many different places to make predictions.”

We’ll be going five or more games in the East.

The New Jersey Devils showed they’re made of tough stuff Wednesday, the Devils beating the New York Rangers 3-2 on Madison Square Garden ice to even the Eastern Conference final at one game apiece. Game 3 is Sunday in New Jersey.

• Tonight: The Kings can go up 3-0 on the Phoenix Coyotes in Los Angeles.

1. dgaud096 says:

I hope they actually do change the rules so the Montreal Canadiens can buy out Gomez’s stupid contract. I hope this summer brings some new forwards to the team. I’m thinking some more power forwards, if possible. We need at least two strong lines this year if we want a shot at the playoffs. Its going to be an exciting summer listening to trade rumors.

2. Shane1313 says:

Canada losing damn…
    Shoulda saw that coming…
    Phaneuf, can’t get over him being on the team. He has never been a good player

• jedimyrmidon says:

- Can’t get over both Phaneuf and Schenn being on the team (well, Phaneuf isn’t that bad, good for 3rd pairing or something).
      – Can’t get over Oiler and Leaf management being given prominent roles – you can see why certain players were on the team over others. Eberle is great, but Spezza should not have been refused a spot, taken in my mind by Nugent-Hopkins. I feel really bad for him since so many players from Canada decline and his teammates (Karlsson, Alfredsson, Michalek) are playing for their countries. Don’t know why Murray was kept, he’s too young, but seems like the Oilers wanted a better look at him.
      – Can’t over how Team Canada seemed to overlook the D men and failed to take any from a team that had a good PK (which sucked during the tournament). Well, they were going to take Subban, but I think they should have asked Gorges (I’m guessing they didn’t).

3. otter649 says:

After seeing how easy Brown went down on that hit late in the game – Don’t blame the ref giving Brown a diving call for the goalie slash last game,,,,,,

Listening to Achilles Last Stand was never so enjoyable.

5. commandant says:

Can either of New Jersey or New York match up with LA?

I think the Devils can, I’m hoping they beat New York, because I think LA/Jersey would actually be a tremendous series.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Lizardking89 says:

and LA/NY wouldn’t be? Two of the biggest cities in the states in the finals would generate greater interest. Plus I hate NJ and can’t stand Martin F.

• commandant says:

I think Jersey’s style vs LA’s style creates for better hockey.

Its funny, the Rangers are playing the way the Devils played for 20 years. While the Devils are the ones with three lines of offence and the aggressive forecheck now.

I think Jersey and LA play similar hockey and it would create good opponents stylistically on the ice.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

6. jedimyrmidon says:

LA Kings are UNSTOPPABLE.

It’s rather interesting how they relatively quietly collected both Carter and Richards. Of course, that was pretty risky with their contracts and all, but they essentially have Philly’s first line as their second behind Kopitar and Brown. And not only that, both lines play with an edge, which is crucial come playoff time.

7. Malreg says:

What a TERRIBLE call! Man I can’t stand Dustin Brown…

8. frontenac1 says:

Jeez,Smitty seeing lotsa rubber again tonight

9. frontenac1 says:

I have said many times that I would love to see Allen wearing CH,but as was pointed out, he will be in high demand as a UFA. He was making $3+million last year and could be too expensive if a bidding war starts.He is 32 yrs old and might want more than 3yrs.That is why I keep mentioning Erskine.He has 1 more year at$1.5million and I think he could be pryed away from the Caps via trade.He fills the role of team guy experience,size and nastiness. Love to have both of them but for value with a short term contract Erskine is a great deal

10. Sir.Plekers says:

Dont draft a russian……sry

SIR PLEKERS

• ProHabs says:

I wish there was a Johnathon Toews, Jarod Stall or Matt Duchesne/Evander Kane for us to draft at number 3. I don’t like the risk that goes with taking a Russian, that they can go playi in the KHL.

11. habsfan0 says:

Where’s Boone tonight?

Out watching “The Dictator”?

12. Un Canadien errant says:

Katie Baker’s Cold Hearted column. Check out the video of the hit Niklas Kronwall laid on some poor Lithuanian (I think) player.

———————————
    In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

13. Un Canadien errant says:

We wondered yesterday why Elliotte Friedman’s 30 Thoughts column had been pulled. Here’s why:

———————————

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Friedman: “All I’ll say is this. There was an issue with something I wrote, there were some objections raised to it. I was asked to either reveal sources or change it…”
      I’m shocked that the CBC ever let a “journalist” present anonymous opinions on their website. If Elliotte Friedman wants to be a columnist and write opinion pieces that’s fine, but he’s been hiding behind other peoples opinions far too long.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s completely normal for a journalist to use unnamed sources, and to protect them when being asked to reveal them. The only tradeoff when using them is that the journalist now banks his credibility on what the source told him. It’s a fine line to walk, but Ellotte Friedman has a lot of credibility and I think the reading public will trust that what he says is true, as opposed to maybe just making stuff up.

———————————

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I don’t believe that Elliotte Friedman would ever repeat an anonymous opinion if it was different from his own opinion. If Friedman wants to tell me he believes that the Bruins don’t get spearing penalties because Roman Hamerlik dives too much he’s welcome to say that. I he wants to characterise something the Montreal Canadiens have done as “classless” or “a panic move”. He can do that too. He can credit Gary Bettman for the success of hockey in the State of California, and tell me that he thinks that Carey Price will be great, just not in Montreal, and that PK Subban needs to show more respect, and I can consider his statements and everything else he ever said and decide for myself whether Elliotte Friedman’s opinion is worth anything.
          He doesn’t do that!
          He never has to defend anything he says, or ever explain if two statements contradict each other because he’s always just the messenger. If you want to be the messenger you should name the source of that opinion so that the reader can consider any bias or agenda behind the statement.

An “un-named former NHL executive” could be Scotty Bowman, or Mike Milbury, an “un-named former NHL player” could be Ken Dryden or PJ Stock, and so on.
          Although it is all too easy to fabricate anonymous quotes, that’s not the only reason not to print them.
          Back to the original quote. “I was asked to either reveal sources or change it…” Was he asked to publish the name of the NHL official on cbc.ca, or was he asked to reveal his source to his editor, so that his story could be “fact checked”?
          It’s one thing for someone like Pat Hickey to occasionally write that his opinion is influenced by a romour he heard from a un-named source he trusts, because he still backs his own opinion and that “secret, inside information” is only part of what he does. Friedman prints about a half dozen of these anonymous opinions every week.

IMO Elliotte Friedman has always been really sketchy

->EDIT “An un-named source inside the CBC sports news room tells me some have long questions Elliotte Friedman’s ethics” <- Sounds way better when I say it that way!

"I'm not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov"
          – Sean Bonjovi

• Un Canadien errant says:

You raise some good point, and these are all issues the reader must grapple with. One of the solutions is to understand that Mr. Friedman is a well-respected reporter and columnist, and that his opinions and reports are usually insightful, but sober and researched, as opposed to provocative. He seeks to inform as opposed to agitate. When I read his work, that’s what I expect. When he relies on a source, I believe that it’s someone whose opinion he respects, and that the anonymous source holds him in similar esteem, so I rule out the possibility that we’re talking about P.J. Stock or Mike Milbury as you bring up.

When I read Tony Gallagher or Steve Simmons, I’m a little more careful, they tend to be more opinionated and like calling a spade a spade and stirring the pot a little bit. When I come across anything from Bertrand Raymond, all bets are off. I’ll routinely skip over his work.

———————————

• ProHabs says:

Really enjoy Eliotte’s 30 thougths and I have been looking for it all week. Thanks for posting this Un.

14. frontenac1 says:

Kopitar!

15. frontenac1 says:

Aaarrrooooooo! Go Yotes! Go Smitty ! 1-0

16. Kimberly2u says:

Yotes score on Not-so Quick…go yotes

17. frontenac1 says:

Erskine was out with injury from February until game 4 of the playoffs. He played well for being out so long,but I think he was rushed back and then he was out again.Hence Shultz playing the last few games.

18. frontenac1 says:

Allen can move the puck well for big lad,he also has a great point shot.I guess like Gomez,we are stuck with Kaberle,unless Marc can work some magic. Like kempie said ,how many leads were blown in the last 10min of 3rd periods last year? How many times did Price get run over and our response was Weber,Diaz,Campoli or Kaberle? I would still take Allen and Erskine over those four any day and work the kids gradually into the line up.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I haven’t see Bryan Allen play recently, but I have a very poor impression of him from his days in Vancouver. He was a throw-in on the Luongo deal that no one cried about.

———————————

• HardHabits says:

The only really physical defenseman the Habs have ATM is Subban and he’s no heavy weight. There’s also Emelin who hits well but he needs somebody who can back him up if somebody tries to fight him because of the steel plates holding his face together. Markov is not physical. Neither is Gorges. Yes Gorges blocks a ton of shots but he doesn’t hit. He’s better at falling all over Price than actually clearing anybody out of the zone. As for Markov, we still don’t know how the knee will perform or whether he’s one hit away from retirement. Gill was big but he was also slow and the epitome of the gentle giant. And as you state, none of Diaz, Weber, Kaberle or Campoli intimidates opposing forwards from driving hard to the net.

The Habs pro scouting has been its weakness for some time now but it really hit its nadir last season.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Since we’re naming off defencemen I really like Fedor Tyutin in Cloumbus. Most teams wouldn’t trade him, but the Blue Jackets have done stranger things, and though he signed his new contract only this season that was before they got Jack Johnson. I’d give up A LOT to get him.
      Mark Stuart With the Jets is a really solid #5 guy IMO too.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• commandant says:

Sure we need to add some size.

Last year we had too many small puck movers and not enough big, physical defensive D.

But the key is balancing it out… Campoli is gone. Weber should go too. In their place add one guy like Allen, then you have Balance, and have not gone too far in one direction.

Offensive skill without a defensive game, and a physical game is useless. (see a pairing of Campoli-Kaberle)

Too many defensive, physical guys who cant do anything with the puck on their stick is also useless. (see what happened when we used Gill and Mara together at the start of the 09-10 season).

Its about balancing the two out.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

19. Kimberly2u says:

Semin….just had to say it

20. commandant says:

I think the real question is:

With no live blog, is Boone on strike or locked out?

And please god, lets hope he’s not dressed like some of those striking students.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Lots of angst over too much HIO civility.

TomNickle has decided to not deride anyone for disagreeing with him. Everybody ignores PrimeTime. The Habs have tanked and hired a GM with size and grit so my work is done. Timo has nothing to bitch about. Halak fizzled out of the play-offs due to injury so a moratorium on the Price-Halak debate is in effect. Team Berkshire has gone into hiding. Even Tony has nothing inflammatory to say. What’s worse is the Habs have taken the wind out of our sails by operating with an air of ease albeit stealthily.

Looks like there will be no feudin’ goin’ on this summer. Time to kick back and enjoy the period until the Habs hire a new coach and make their 2012 draft pick selections. Then things will heat up again.

• Propwash says:

Scott Gomez…..

That oughtta ruffle a few feathers.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Un Canadien errant says:

In defence of Tom, I don’t think he derides anyone for disagreeing with him, or calls anyone names, as he has been accused of recently. He does know his stuff and he lets you know if he disagrees with you, but sometimes that can be interpreted as being too blunt or insensitive or boorish. For example, when someone goes on for a couple of paragraphs on something, he might reply with a curt one sentence post pointing out an inaccuracy. He’s right, but the message can come across as dismissive. I noticed after the big discussion that some of his posts started with the words: “I agree with the first part, but as far as….” That seemed to make the discussion go a lot smoothly for everyone, and we can all learn a lesson from this episode.

As for you HH you still give me daily aneurysm with your use of the word ‘tank’ while I’ve suggested the much preferable term ‘long-term view planning and asset management maximization and leveraging our dismal position in the standing for the greater good in the not-too-distant future’.

———————————

• HardHabits says:

Well you see Mr. Harvey, Tom and I are, if not reformed, at the very least making great strides in modifying our behaviour. The fact of the matter is that Tom has in the past levied quite the invective and in no uncertain terms name called. He has clearly avoided the temptation for quite some time now, and has argued eloquently and forcefully albeit with great restraint but I think that is mostly because nobody has initiated a slanderous comment, at least none that I have seen. If he’s still kept his composure after such a retort that has slipped by unnoticed and under my attention then surely TN is making leaps and bounds forward in terms of not adding to the condition of antagonism that ignites this place like a spark in a powder keg. For my part, tank is easier to remember than the long winded soliloquy, and I only call it so because I was going, “la-la-la-la-la-la” all the while I was reading it, that you tried to replace my HHism™ with. The Tank cherry has been popped so in effect the transition to whatever it was that you were saying is in full effect as a logical consequence and result.

22. Adidess says:

This has probably been discussed, but I want to say I am confused…

As a Canadian, I know we have more heart than any other hockey-playing nation on earth. Now how come our players have lost 3 years in a row at the World hockey championships, even ‘ô sacrilege’ against the likes of Kazakhstan?

How many of these guys on Kazakhistan could make it in the NHL? I know they’re soft, they’re not from here. We have the best players in the world and we have more heart, unless the referees wore the colors of the other team (which probably happened), losing should never be possible.

It was really a second-tier squad by Cdn standards, I know, but i thought we could ice 3 hockey teams and come 1st, 2nd, 3rd against the world!? What is going on?

It’s possible our players only have heart for Stanley, they don’t care about the national team jerseys. What a disgrace!?

Now other countries are besting us at world tournaments and guys like Kovalchuk and Kopitar are producing at an elite level over here in the playoffs, imitating others before them like Chara and Hossa, and Lidstrom, and the bunch of other Europeans on Detroit! What is the world coming to?

Imagine what would happen if we would lose our ability to generalize and stigmatize on an ethnic/country basis about who has heart and who does not in hockey, the world would probably collapse over our heads.

Warning: Green font. Nothing I say in this posting makes sense though some version of it may have been articulated in all seriousness by some people in the past. It’s hard to pinpoint why they lost (tired legs, different ice surface, anything can happen in one game). Let’s be fair to everyone and stop judging individual players on the basis of what their fellow nationals have done in the past or any other stereotypes…

• HabFab says:

A lot of players are playing injured in an attempt to make the play-offs so when eliminated, they are both physically and mentally exhausted. They decline the opportunity to go overseas and voila…we suck. Apparently at least 30 declined this WHC.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think the problem with Team Canada at the world championships is a phenomenon I will call “Toronto Maple Leafs Disease”, which is that fans of the team will accept losing. How many Canadians Really care if Team Canada wins or loses this tournament? Will anyone think any less of Ryan Getzlaf after today?

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Un Canadien errant says:

We’ve had the uncomfortable discussion around the old story that European players don’t care about the Stanley Cup, maybe we can discuss that Canadian players don’t care about the World Championships. The same argument applies: our guys didn’t grow up watching them and dreaming of playing in them one day, it’s played on a different ice surface, the refereeing is outlandish, the Team feels artificial, not organic….

When it comes to international hockey, we need a Canada Cup or Olympic competition to get the best players to care and compete, and for the whole country to let them know that anything but victory is unacceptable.

———————————

• Lizardking89 says:

That’s utter nonsense it’s not that they don’t care or they wouldn’t have volunteered to play. HabFab hit the nail on the head. If all of Canada’s best players were to play in that tournament there would be no contest.

23. frontenac1 says:

Erskine has 1 more year @1.5 million. Allen is UFA in july so I can’t see that being a problem especially when you factor injuries over the season

So no more Tom Renney in Edmonton.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We think we jerked poor Randy Cunneyworth around, how about the job the Oilers did on Tom Renney?

Is the Oilers organization really that low-class? The Ryan Smyth trade to Los Angeles where they hoodwinked the Kings, the comments Sheldon Souray made about them after leaving, the war of words with Brian Burke when he was in Anaheim…. What the heck is going on over there?

Insights, anyone?

———————————

25. frontenac1 says:

Markov,Emelin,Georges,Subban,Allen,Erskine.There’s your top six. Don’t buy the skill arguement with Weber.Points are similar to Allen ,but he is worse +/-. Erskine doesn’t get points but hasn’t had a minus year in years. He clears the crease and is a beast when he drops the mitts. We’ve got a lot of skilled kids coming up and can’t afford them getting run and injured while they are worked into the line up.Also if we are going to be investing the big bucks in Price we will need the size and attitude to keep him safe.Both Allen and Erskine are stand up team guys with leadership for the kids as they are called up.

• Old Bald Bird says:

How long would we have to sign them for and would they end up blocking Tinordi, Beaulieu etc?

• kempie says:

I couldn’t agree more with this post. This team definitely needs a guy like this, maybe not both but if they had a guy like Allan who is steady defensively and a big nasty crease clearer who can play top 4 minutes would fit great.

It would allow them to dress a guy like Weber OR Diaz OR even Kaberle as the 6th D. If you’ve got Markov, PK, Gorges, Allan, & Emelin you could play Campoli’s sister for God’s sake and it would still be a pretty good D.

It would make life easier for Price and help to protect those tricky 3 goal leads the team keeps blowing in the 3rd period.

Most importantly, it would take the heat off Tinordi, Beauileu & Ellis. If we have 3 or 4 years of a guy like Allan with another 2 yrs on Markov, it would allow those guys to progress naturally. If this team doesn’t sign someone like Allan and they go with Weber, Diaz, Kaberle & St. Denis it will feel like we’re all standing around waiting for a Tinordi/Beaulieu pairing to save us.

• commandant says:

Markov and Subban is your first PP unit. Who is on your second?

Where did you manage to put Kaberle?

What if Markov gets hurt again? Then what happens to the PP?

In Emelin, Allen, Gorges, and Erskine, you’ve overloaded on defensive D…. who is going to move the puck for your team?

I think you can fit one of these guys into the lineup… and I think a guy like Allen or Barrett Jackman is necessary, but if you get two, you have overloaded on defensive D and created a complete 180 from last season.

I’m a fan of balance… one offensive D and one defensive D on each pair.

Jackman/Allen – Subban
      Markov – Gorges
      Kaberle – Emelin

Then you trade Weber…. Keep Diaz as your 7th D.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Jeff Schultz sucks and Erskine couldn’t bump him out of the Caps line-up. Yannick Weber is not the only alternative to Bryan Allen.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Un Canadien errant says:

It would be great to be able to sign some dependable defencemen to plug the holes until our prospects come up in a couple of seasons or so. I just don’t think we can afford these two guys, they’re on everybody’s radar, everyone needs a tough stay-at-home defenceman or two. The Canucks have that on their shopping list, the Flyers, the Lightning….

As far as trying to sign them short-term, that’s not reasonable in light of the demand that will exist for them, or even necessary. If we have youngsters pushing them out of the lineup in two or three years, they’ll be good trade bait and will bring back assets, so I wouldn’t worry about trying to sign them for only two years.

———————————

26. HabFab says:

What has HIO come too??
    Way too much civility!!
    “sigh”

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Bripro

…Brian, have You yet received My e-mail acknowledgment ?

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Bripro says:

YES! Yes I did Chris. Sorry. My system sent you into my junk folder.
      I only found it yesterday. I looked at it quickly, but I’ll comment back to you when I have more time to absorb it.
      Safe to say my life’s pretty boring by comparison. Cheers!

28. ont fan says:

So how do we feel about the Players who sign these front loaded contracts and walk in the last years when they are only going to make a million. Like Alfreddson for example.

Fair question, Roberto Luongo will not play his last 2 years of his contract. But again, the league has allowed this, the owners so often are their own worst enemies.

I am neither a supporter of owners getting more money or the players more money, these two sides negotiate for their own best interests. But for all who think Geoff Molson is just sitting there doing nothing but make money, imagine for a moment what happens if the Cdn. Dollar drops back to .67cents on the US Dollar. He almost immediately starts losing money. Yes his risk, his investment. He now is playing an exchange game on a daily basis buying and selling CDN dollars etc…. planning and trying to figure out where the buck is going.

He isn’t just sitting there counting money with Scott Gomez in the other corner of his office.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I hope you realize I’m being deliberately provocative to make a point, which is that as much as I respect Geoff Molson and that I’m happy he owns the team, he is eminently replaceable. His skills are not that hard to find.

I accept that he does take a risk by buying the Canadiens, but if it did come to a 67 cents dollar, there’d be bailouts and revenue sharing and salary rollbacks. His position is much more tenable than an Aveos machinist, for example.

———————————

I do see your point Normand, and as I say I am not on either parties side, it is for each of them to get the most tenable deal. My big issue is Bettman cares not about hockey and the Players Union cares not about player safety. Each side shows to some degree no brain evolution since all humans were living in caves wearing Bruins Jerseys.

Edit: My dad was a machinist, a tool and die maker technically. :)

• Bripro says:

Agreed Gerry! 100%.
      It was mentioned about his risking his investment, that if he can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. I’m paraphrasing (too lazy to scroll).
      But if he didn’t, would we have a team to watch?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I initially felt Geoff was an empty silver spoon when He arrived …especially up unto the firing of ‘le fantôme’

…hard to say what the future will be, but I sense a Habs’ Soul in Geoff …it isn’t all about ‘money’ for Geoff in His ownership of Our Habs

_________________________________________________________
      _________________________________________________________
      _________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

30. Bripro says:

Having Donald Fehr and Gary Buttman squaring off for me is a farce!
    We’ve got one who virtually destroyed a franchise by striking the best team in baseball, and the other who couldn’t handle a puck if it hit him in the face.
    At the opposite end of the spectrum you have the average fan. You and me. We spectate and speculate. That’s all we do. And we argue, and agree.
    And at the heart of all of this is main event, the game that we all adore and its players. And although players will come and go, even the Great One(s) and the Magnificent(s) and the Kid(s), we will continue to watch.
    And be faithful. And because of that, we will always be the paying ones. Like Norm pointed out, we go to watch Brad Pitt because the movie is highlighted by Brad Pitt. And Paramount will make a ton.
    But if Brad Pitt wasn’t available, maybe Gorge Clooney would be, or Leonardo DiCaprio.
    So maybe Selanne won’t be there anymore, but Corey Perry will. And when he’s gone, it’ll be another.
    The necessary evil.
    Dividing 50% or 57% of Billions of dollars is an astronomical sum.
    Divided over far fewer shareholders than the organizations.
    Either way, the sums are mind-blowing, and as long as you and I aren’t important in the grand scheme of things, they will continue to be mind-blowing. It’s highway robbery.
    I don’t mind paying $12-15 once in a while to watch Brad Pitt in the theatre, but it turns my stomach for fork over $500 for the night to support the prima donnas and their greedy owners.

But I love hockey, so consider me hooked!

• commandant says:

Is it really Fehr’s fault that the Expos choose 1994 to have their best season ever?

He had 1 strike in over 20 years as the head of the players’ association, its just unlucky it came that year.

As for the price of tickets… that won’t change based on the CBA, no matter what it says… Prices are set based on supply and demand of fans, thats why Montreal tickets are more expensive than other cities even if they both are spending to the same salary cap.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Caper says:

Steinbrenner. He did it.

• Lizardking89 says:

Yes it’s his fault because there was no need to strike at the end of the season when all that bullshit could have been resolved after the playoffs. It was the players on the recommendation of Fehr that went on strike. That strike set off a chain reaction that destroyed the Expos.

• commandant says:

The Owners could have saved the season if they met Fehr’s demands prior to the playoffs…. they didn’t.

Oh but they did hand Fehr pretty much everything he wanted just a few months later when it was time to start the 1995 season.

There are always two sides to a negotiation, to blame Fehr as the only reason for the 1994 strike and not look at Selig and his owners having unrealistic expectations, is only looking at one side of the equation.

And what does a Strike during the offseason (after the playoffs) do. The owners don’t lose any ticket sales when you strike in the offseason, there is no pressure on them to settle.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

I will put far more blame on the parasite and used car salesman from Milwaukee named Bud Selig. Don’t forget the Jays had just recently won back to back World Series, I am sure when it was seen that Montreal was running away with the National League the fricking moron and maggot that is Selig met with the influential owners of U.S. based owners and said this would be a perfect year to fight the players hard. Obviously I speculate, but I lived in North Carolina when the Jays won their titles and I don’t think the Jays winning those titles helped market baseball in America.

Donald Fehr fought for the players, simple as that, he had zero desire to kill baseball in Montreal in my opinion.

Bud Selig is a dufus and his sons name appears to be Gary Bettman.

• Bripro says:

I still believe that neither side tried hard enough.
        If dufus Selig were there instead of Buttman, I’d just slit my wrists up the arm, Gerry, as opposed to across!
        Up the highway, instead of across the steet! ;)

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“My point is we only fight for and support the players for as long as they’re there. Once they’re gone, you need to support other players, and they are signed and play for the owners.”

If the owners are the reason the NHL generates more revenue than the Ligue Nord-Américaine de Hockey, then you make a great point ; )

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

31. Sean Bonjovi says:

What would be fair value in a trade for the #3 pick in 2012 + Brendan Gallagher? Would that be enough to get Jonathan Huberdeau, or is he even worth that much? I’d make that trade in a second!
    Edit: I’ll rephrase my question. How good is Brendan Gallagher really? I mean Really. Is he just a glorious steal for a 5th round draft pick, or is he going to be a first line player in the NHL?

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
    – Sean Bonjovi

• ont fan says:

Why would you think Huberdeau is available? I don’t think he is. As for Gallager we have no idea if he makes the big team ever.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I believe every player is available for the right price.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
        – Sean Bonjovi

• Mark C says:

I wouldn’t trade the #3 pick for Huberdeau, let alone throwing in a wild card like Gallagher.

It has been so long since we had a pick this high, a chance to find an elite franchise player, why are people so excited to get rid of it? I don’t understand.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Make it the #3 + Gallagher for the #1 pick then, or whomever you like. I want to trade up. I’m saying I’m cool with trading two 2nd liners for a 1st liner, if the guy available at #3 isn’t a lock to become 1st line NHLer.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
        – Sean Bonjovi

• ont fan says:

Someone available at 3 is going to be very good. Now which one. I don’t think you have move up. I would rather trade someone off the roster to move up.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If Timmins and Bergevin really like the guy at #3 I trust them.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
            – Sean Bonjovi