Locke recalled from Bulldogs

The Canadiens announced today that forward Corey Locke has been recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League and should be available for tonight’s game in New York against the Rangers.

The 23-year-old native of Toronto leads the Bulldogs in scoring with 23 points in 30 games (eight goals and 15 assists). He is +4 and has 20 penalty minutes.

With a goal in Hamilton’s 4-3 loss to the Toronto Marlies last night in Hamilton, Locke became the Bulldogs’ all-time leading scorer with his 180th career AHL point (63 goals, 117 assists). He passed former Bulldog Brian Swanson, who had 179.

Locke was the Canadiens’ fourth-round pick and 113th player selected in the 2003 NHL entry draft.

1. paul b says:

carb.will raise the banner (: (soon)

Ian ..I remember when we won the last cup,they bought all the young guns from Fredericton ,like Dionne etc……… and thed had alot of fun you could see it on their faces .

2. Chuck says:

Ladies and gentlemen… your Montreal Bulldogs!!!! 🙂

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

3. paul b says:

Hi Ian…nice to here from you ,I cant type to fast,just learning.cant spell to good either,but love being on here….

4. yukonhab says:

Glad to see the Dogs playing a vital role for the Habs, as so many predicted.
    Should be a good game!
    GO HABS GO!!

5. Smart Dog says:

Three Observations:

1. Gorges looks a little lost tonight.

2. There are players that never quit on the play. Tonight Ryder is not one of them.

3. The team is going in down by a goal. They have NEVER come back from an intermission deficit all year. To me that says something about coaching and leadership. What happens in the intermission should be able to sometimes turn the game around. Let’s hope tonight Carbo breaks the jinx. Let’s hope he’s figured out how to talk to his men and get them coming out on fire, and chasing Lunquist from the net.

Get ’em Habs!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

6. The Teacher says:

I’m wondering if instead of going back to Mtl, some of the players had their families meet them in NYC to enjoy the New Year in Time’s Square?

7. Ian G Cobb says:

Hi LEE, Warm out west? Hab are getting warm in the east! Just heading out to a friends, he has RDS. Enjoy the game everyone. Post about the win when i get back. IAN

8. The Teacher says:

long past high time, but I’ll take it

9. DD says:

I’m glad you are grateful for my acquiescence, this one time, to agreeing with you, but don’t think my charitable ways during the holidays, and your sycophancy are going to change my stance on St. Patrick.

That’s exactly what I was thinking Timo. If Locke plays that means either Koivu or Chipchura sits. Obviously with Koivu it would be a health concern. If Chipchura is a healthy scratch then I’m not happy. As for Locke (and Grabovski), they may be offensive minded prospects but in my books they still stack up behind Koivu, Pleks, Chipchura, and Lapierre.

The Original 24 Cups

11. DD says:

I couldn’t agree with you more, Lee, and not just because of where you live.

If Carbo plays him on any line that isn’t out to score points, he’s wasting Lockes and his time. The kid needs to have quality and skilled players on his wing to showcase his talents. As a player who is 5′ 9′, 175 lbs (and that might even be exaggerating), he’s not going to have much luck as a checking forward.

12. Lee Hayes says:

If Koivu is unable to play, then Locke may just take his spot at center. Giving the coaching staff a chance at evaluating him at this level.
    If Koivu is in, then give Corey the second powerplay center position, again giving everyone a look at his offensive talents. No real sense in making him center the forth line, unless they need a read on his defensive progress.

Has anyone other than DD seen this kid play in Ottawa or Hamilton on the powerplay?

Go Habs Go

13. Smart Dog says:

For sure… or a little battleship and a couple of tugboats for a big battleship. That’s a trade I’d make.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

14. Smart Dog says:

I agree. I think Huet has many, many more solid years and stands a good chance of raising a cup. But we’re going to lose Huet or Halak, and we’ll get a lot more for Huet. I think the picture is more complicated than that – the fact is there is nothing we NEED except for a big sniper up front. And that’s the hardest thing to get. So it would have to be a big trade. Unless of course Bob fear’s Huet’s salary in 08-09…. I would suspect we’re looking for a headline-making rent-a-player to a team that isn’t going to make the play-offs. Any thoughts?

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

15. paul b says:

carb.will raise the banner (: (soon)
    HI smart dog,I hope we are going for a trade,but to affraid to lose 1 of our goaldies.

16. Smart Dog says:

Great to see Locke come up. He deserves a shot – I hope he stays for a few games at least.

Also, I smell a trade… so many players drifting around the big team, I’m thinking we’re gonna soon trade 2 or 3 for 1. I could guess, but that might not be fair. 😉

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

17. J.T. says:

I’m ever so grateful you’ve found it in your conscience to make that exception and agree with me, even though it goes against your better judgement. And, no it’s a cannon used for shooting mainlanders with balls of their own $hi+. Considering the ammunition you provide, you’d better duck. 🙂

18. Smart Dog says:

Hi Ian,

I thought MINE were gospel…. okay, I’ll share the status with you… just remember, there is an all-knowing, all-seeing Dog!

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

19. Smart Dog says:

Montreal is the biggest difference of the bunch. What is shows is we are bad after 60, bad in the shoot-outs. Funny, because we were stronger there last year. This year it seems Montreal is at its best in the first two periods… downhill from there. Lots of young players maybe… the veterans may have more stability in longer games? Just a thought.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

20. DD says:

I don’t usually agree with you J.T. because of where you live, but I’ll make an exception this time.
    Here’s hoping Corey Locke lights up the score board and shows us what he’s worth.

BTW Is that a Newfanese potato cannon in your picture?

21. paul b says:

carb.will raise the banner (: (soon)
    joe had ,I herd that once but not to much on what it really was ,I am really concened to what it is.We need him at his best.

22. Rugger says:

It sure seemed to last a heck of a long time last year

23. joe-hab-nuno says:

Didn’t they say was a virus

24. paul b says:

carb.will raise the banner (: (soon)
    Hay guys I have had the flu before and it didnt effect me all winter so if Koiv is sick it cant be the flu,has to be something else for his recent behavior, just wondering everyone else view is on this

25. joe-hab-nuno says:

would be a race for 8th spot. from teams who are second through 12th. Tor, Was and T.b would be almost out of it.

26. paul b says:

carb.will raise the banner (: (soon)
    who knows if he will play tonight,havent see the lineup yet,and where will they put him ?

27. J.T. says:

I figured with Koivu iffy for tonight and O’Byrne out there’d be a call-up. I’m glad it’s Locke. I’ve always thought his talent was too tantalizing to let him rot in the minors forever. If he gets in, I hope he plays his best game ever.

28. joe-hab-nuno says:

here’s what it would look like if teams weren’t awarded the point for OT/SO loss

Ott 54-50
    Flo 39-36
    Atl 39-38
    Tor 38-30
    Was 35-30
    T.B 33-30

29. JasonM says:

Prolly an extra body to have around, Dandy or Streit will be on D.

30. RetroMikey says:

Great to see Corey Locke finally given the chance to play for the big team! As a season ticket holder for the Bulldogs, this kid has all the necessities to make it in the NHL (another Daniel Briere clone I say). Too bad if we did not have Saku, Corey would be on our roster full time guaranteed! This kid deserves it and not too worry Habs fans, Matt DAgostini still has some work to develop in the organization before he is ready to play in the NHL!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

31. Ian G Cobb says:

Chuck–They are developed Bulldogs now! Does that mean we are Habs with teeth now? I sure hope so!

32. Doctor Device says:

Just a picture of some guy at a reactor control panel somewhere that I kind of like. 🙂

It’s really good to see the young talent bubbling up through the system over the last couple seasons. Draft and develop is the way of the future. Well, it was the way of the past too but teams really have to do it now.

33. Ian G Cobb says:

Hey Paul, don,t worry about the small stuff, these people on this site are great. They have helped me from not being able to read and write a short time ago, to become a literary genious now. The habs are what we are all about, enjoy and grow.

And don,t forget to know that my postings are the only ones that are gospel!

34. paul b says:

carb.will raise the banner (: (soon)

hi doctor ,can I ask what that picture is off

35. Chorske says:

Hahahaha, nice one

Let’s see how this so-so Hamilton teams does against the big boys. It’s high time some of these kids got bumped up.