Locke makes it, equipment doesn’t

Bulldogs callup Corey Locke was supposed to in the lineup tonight in place of flu-bitten Saku Koivu, who will watch the game from his New York hotel room.

But while Locke made it to Madison Square Garden at the last minute, his equipment didn’t. The Canadiens will play with 19 men.

1. gohabzzzz says:

not the flu bug! t’was around this time of the year it happened last year, so saks, please don’t pass it on
    now i wonder if locke is gonna be inserted on the first line,otherwise you never know, pleks may be up there or maybe they should make the second line the first line tonight
    i dunno, just throwin’ some ideas
    gohabzzzz

2. sidhu says:

Apparently Locke was to wear #45

I don’t remember a playing wearing that number for us since Gilbert Dionne.

3. hyfyarse says:

That has to be the worst feeling, all the adrenaline to play in the NHL and your equipment does not make it. He will get his chance soon.
    Through the good the bad and the ugly I will never lose hope in my HABS!!!!

4. kevin m says:

Try this link to the NHL CBA concerning waivers

5. The Teacher says:

Guy can’t catch a break, what can I say.

6. rogus says:

Now that Locke is up, does he have to clear waivers to go back down?

7. Richard B says:

Must have been an Air Canada flight!!!

8. yehaken says:

I believe you only have to clear waivers after 3 years of pro contract or 180 NHL games.

9. Naila Jinnah says:

Awww man! That’s got to be a downer!

10. Habsfan39 says:

i was in pitts last night to watch buffalo/penguins…;

why cant buffalo ever play like that against montreal?

they were absolutely dead, conklin got a shutout for heavens sake, wasnt even tested

11. Kythehabsfan says:

It doesn’t sound like he will be playing tonight. This is great for Locke though; I have been waiting to see him get called up for a couple of years now. It was seeming like he just wasn’t in the Habs plans (and maybe he still isn’t). I guess the only way your 3rd small centre will play is if one of your other two small centres goes down. Best of luck to him, he may have only a small window to show what he can do.

Koivu: rest and get better soon!

12. Ed says:

I wonder what line Locke will play on. I can’t see him going in Koivu’s place. It will be interesting to see what Carbonneau does.

13. Dave Stubbs says:

Isn’t it always, Ed?

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

14. The Teacher says:

oh boy..put Higgins as a center…I’ve been waiting for someone to do that for years.

15. nightmare_49 says:

Ed : I wouldn’t be surprised if Corey Locke takes Saku’s spot and if things don’t work out defensively Carbo may insert Tommy K. there and put Corey at LW with Chips and Dandy. We have a 3 day break so eventually we may go with 5 “D” and free Streit to play forward depending how the game goes. This is why depth and versitility come in handy. GO HABS GO.

16. Ed says:

Yes it is, & it has finally worked out well for him in the last 2 games.

17. Dave Stubbs says:

Timo, it might not be unreasonable to put our good captain on a Greyhound bus, or the overnight Amtrak, and keep him off the charter flight home…

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

18. Shawn S says:

Oh god, please don’t let this happen again. I don’t think I could handle it.

19. TommyB says:

Many are wondering where Locke will play, and with whom. There is a good chance he will not even see the ice.

With Saku out with the flu, it stands to reason that there could be others teetering on the brink of illness too. I think Locke may be there in case the roster does take a dip in the number of available bodies.

All the best to Cory Locke, but I don’t expect to see him play much unless more illness or injury necessitate it.

There is however one other scenario…….it’s been reoprted that the Rangers have been talking to Gainey regarding Ryder. Maybe they want a prospect included in any deal they may be considering.

Ahhhh, speculation…….

20. Revolution No. 9 says:

Is there anyone left in Hamilton? It’s one thing to win the Calder but to expect the same team win a Stanley Cup is asking a lot!

(I keed. I keed.)

21. kidneyboy says:

I hope the whole team doesn’t get this bug. Last year after the team had the flu and recovered they were all golfing.