LL Cool J(unior) shines

Louis Leblanc lights up junior camp

Stu Cowan on Leblanc

No Heritage Classic at Big O

Robert L strolls Memory Lane

Jerry Rice, eat your heart out!

W5edTmCn09s

Martin Gerber?

Kariya to the Ducks?

John Madden signs in Minnesota where a 15-year-old has designed a mask for Nicklas Backstrom

Chelios to join Wings front office

• 27 per cent of the Predators worth $15.2 million U.S.

Nikita Filatov looks ahead

1. HFX-HabFan says:

I’m pretty sure the consensus first pick will be Swedish d-man Adam Larsson.  Couturier will likely go second overall as it stands right now.

2. crabvader says:

Yup, and after WJC it’ll be Hamilton and then Montreal. We’ll see if he’s got character. The reason Subban is the most exciting is because of his spirit. Hopefully, Leblanc can overcome every obstacle put ahead of him because like Subban, he’s definitely naturally skilled. We all know that skill alone won’t make a succesful career, though.

(Didn’t mention the Q because I don’t think they’re an obstacle. :P)

3. Bryan says:

Noted haha.  Really good to see that he seems to be heads and shoulders above where he was last year.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

4. crabvader says:

Just pointing it out! If he’s the best out there, all the better. :)

5. ari says:

THIS IS JUST ADDING SALT TO INJURY.FOR PEOPLE WHO WANTS TO COMPARE OUR CHOICES WITH OTHER TEAMS ARE WAY WRONG,THE FACT IS WE SCREWED IT UP.SPECIALLY IN 2003 AND 2005.BUT I THINK WE DID BETTER THAN 90’S.

6. Bryan says:

I’m sure that definitely helps playing with Couturier, but Howden isn’t an offensive player and is projected to be a 3rd line guy.  Plus, he was put on a line with Cody Eakin today instead of Howden.

He’s obviously the top centre at the camp right now.  Look for Couturier/Leblanc/Eakint o be one of the top 2 lines at the WJC.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

7. likehoy says:

yup that’s why I was so happy to see kovy go.

i hated is neutral skates that put everyone at a stand still as he keeps gong in circles till he can get into the zone by himself

8. SeriousFan09 says:

True enough, but he seems to be keeping up with them and playing at their level thus far.  Need to see him at the actual WJC to see whether that’s them more than him of course.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

To be fair, it was a 2nd rounder for Schneider.

* The Anaheim Ducks’ second-round pick went to the Atlanta Thrashers as the result of a trade on February 16, 2009 that sent Mathieu Schneider and a conditional pick in 2009 to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for a third-round pick in 2010 and this pick.[13] Montreal previously acquired this pick in a trade on February 26, 2008 that sent Cristobal Huet to the Washington Capitals in exchange for this pick.[14] Washington previously acquired this pick in a trade on November 19, 2007 that sent Brian Sutherby to Anaheim in exchange for this pick.[15]

10. crabvader says:

There is no doubt that he is very gifted, but let’s not forget that he’s with 2010 first rounder Quinton Howden and 2011 potential #1 overall Sean Couturier.

11. habs4ever2894 says:

He’s playing with the consensus first overall pick in the 2011 draft though….

12. K-hab25 says:

Hanlon gets the W’s that’s all that matters, plus the team likes him better.

13. Bryan says:

Leblanc gets 2 assists in a 5-2 win today at Junior camp.  From what I read, his line has been the most consistently dangerous.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

14. K-hab25 says:

Deal! I’m deep in D-men, so I can afford to ose him.

15. crabvader says:

Seems to me Timmins had carte blanche.

16. K-hab25 says:

This list is exactly why I hated Kovy so much. He was easily one of the top 5 most talented players in the world during his career. He has 3 seasons with over 30 goals, so does Micheal Ryder, 3 seasons over 66 points, Scott Gomez has 4 and only once did he break 90 points in 16 seasons, Crosby has 4 in 5 seasons. He was as talented as any player to ever play, but his effort level made him the chump I’ll always remember.

17. Lemur says:

If anyone is interested in playing Ultimate (frisbee) check out this site

or

Contact Concordia (They also have a league)

it’s the montreal Ultimate association, and is a great way to get into Ultimate. If your in Sherbrooke next weekend, the Canadian Ultimate Championships are being held there Aug. 12-15th. Bring a lawn chair and just sit back and watch the fireworks.

18. showey47 says:

Did all those players sign a cofirmation form in 1951?

19. Everlasting1 says:

Yup, ahead of Lafleur, Beliveau, The Rocket. Kovalev – a future hall of famer 😛

Don’t pollute the water.

20. punkster says:

1951, no drafts back then so here’s my 1951 team. Note the Wings beat the Habs for the cup so I’m a bit biased in my picks:

C – Elmer Lach

RW – Gordie Howe

LW – Ted Lidsay

D – Doug Harvey

D – Hy Buller

G – Terry Sawchuk

Alright you rookies, beat that!

FREE TIMO!

21. Say Ash says:

Uh, so TSN says Kovalev is the most skilled Canadien of all time, just ahead of D. Savard.

22. showey47 says:

Awesome,now i need to find someone who is willing to part with cam neely.

23. showey47 says:

What do you mean gilles isn’t an upgrade over hanlon? Should we have a 2 year debate over this?

24. Bugs says:

You can’t pick the stegosaurus, Booner!

Not fair.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

25. SeriousFan09 says:

It was a 3rd for Schneider and we got a 3rd back in the deal that let us draft Joonas Nattninen, a favoured prospect out of the Finnish leagues, we were taking a salary dump from ATL at the time so it was basically a swap of picks. The only thing that went wrong with Lang was a severed Achilles tendon, to that point he was headlining at the time the team’s best scoring line centering the K-brothers.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. krob1000 says:

1976 sucks….Federko-Nilsson-Brian Sutter

Randy carlyle-Ricg Green/Reed Larson

Liut?? seriously this year sucked!

27. observer says:

More to it. Gainey/Gauthier also traded away one #1 for Tanguay, a #2 as well for Tanguay, a #2 for Schneider, a #2 for Lang and a #2 for Moore all 4 of these players for five high draft picks lasted only months for the Habs and were gone. Fischer another #1 was wasted getting a #2 five years later in return. Also traded away a #1 McDonaugh and a #2 Latendresse. This has been a poor job that the media has basically ignored.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

I was glad to see Super Mario get his due myself, didn’t see most of these guys when they were active so I’m hard-pressed to say 1 guy should be in over most of them.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. observer says:

Who else would anyone blame OR praise if they drafted poorly or superbly but that man in charge? And during his tenure he, Gauthier and Timmins have basically done poorly as can be seen by the few drafted players of theirs even on the roster. And with the exception of Subban(maybe Price too in time) have not been high quality, at least so far. But this may change as we will eventually get to see Kristo, Leblanc, Tinordi and a couple others.

30. Jazz Man says:

Kovy was indeed #4. I have no problem with their list, just curious as to what you guys thought of it.

31. Bugs says:

1) Trick question. Hope they both tie at 70.

2) Only one can make the NHL playoffs though…

3) I think we all know the answer to that one if the last 4 years is any indication.

4) The one who contributes most to our success apparently.

5) Too tough to answer. Torn between Respect and Love…

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

32. Bugs says:

Did Gainey even have a word to say about the draft or did he leave it all to Timmins?

Honest question.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

33. yathehabsrule says:

Craig Simpson, Clark and Mike Richter were three notables amonsgt the Benoit Hogues and Sean Burke journeymen. Hey Syu Grimson was in the 1985 Draft

Last pick….Future Leafs coach Paul Mauriuce, and a few before him (drafted by the Habs) John Ferguson, Jr.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

34. Bugs says:

I saw that. Was Kovy #4 though?

Either way, adequate list. No reason to make a stink. More than impressed as it is they didn’t have Tie Domi in the top 3.

Only Kent Nilsson didn’t ring any bells but I’ll take their word for it.

Also kinda wish they’da made some room for my boy Aurèle Joliat…

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

35. observer says:

predators? yes all are except vegaGauthierians. So are cats.

36. Jazz Man says:

Anyone see TSN’s 10 Most Skilled Players of All-Time? In case you haven’t here’s their list:

10. Datsyuk  9. Jagr  8. P. Bure  7. D. Savard  6. K. Nilsson  5. G. Perreault  4. Kovalev  3. Gretzky  2. Orr and #1 — Super Mario.

Who would you add/subtract from that list, or change about the ranking? I’d put Ovechkin in there somewhere, probably at #4 and remove Nilsson. Here are my honourable mentions: Lafleur, Beliveau, Bobby Hull, and Paul Coffey.

37. yathehabsrule says:

As with Showey, you can have Sittler for Wilson.

Hard to beleive two there were two Hall of Fame centers in that draft, and neither won a Cup.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

38. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m focusing on recent years, we go back to what previous GMs did before even BG was in town and than go further back it’s pointless to complain about what everyone regards as crappy administrations failed to do.

AK was a mistake, but I am still interested to see what he does without his distracting brother around. His talent level is still very high and is capable of great moments. as for 2003, OB still has something to show, Mad Max was a great playoff guy AND the “Fourth Star” of the 08-09 season. It’s not like a lot of gems were selected in the 3rd and 4th round of the 2003 draft either.

I think people are underestimating what the 07-10 draft groups are going to bring in myself. We’ve already got a potential Top-2 defencemen with Subban, Pacioretty has time to grow, Kristo and Leblanc are heavily favoured, Avtsin is going to play for the Bulldogs, D Mac Bennett will play for Michigan, which is one of the best NCAA programs in the US, Brendan Gallagher’s 2nd-year WHL stats are equal to the 2nd-year numbers of two-time WJC hero Jordan Eberle’s and the Habs have two of the last 3 winners of the Top Defensive Forward trophy in the Q. Steve Quailer, another big forward will be getting back into action after missing a season recovering from an ACL injury and he might be another long-term prospect.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. gloveside says:

“2003, Lapierre and Locke were not taken ahead of any of the guys you
    named, they did miss on Shea Weber but so did most of the league.”

No but AK was taken ahead of all of them. Montreal had 6 picks in the first 4 rounds and managed to miss all of them. As for only getting a franchise player in the top 3 picks….I’d say any of the names I mentioned as being passed over for AK might qualify [okay, not Brown]. So would Semin in the #13 position or Duncan Keith in the #53 [Not to mention where the Wings got Zetterberg and Datsuyk]. Sure it helps to have top picks but other teams seem to do pretty well year after year in the draft no matter where they pick [Detroit a good example].

Really all I’m saying is that the Habs [among other teams I know – but I’m not passionate and overly-concerned on a daily basis about “other teams”] suck at the art of the draft, when it used to be a guaranteed annual thing to replenish our team. Sad and frustrating.

40. K-hab25 says:

I’ll trade you Doug Wilson for Perreault?

41. K-hab25 says:

Deal!! Nice doing business with you.

42. K-hab25 says:

6 of the first round picks play in the NHL, 3 will, McDonaugh, Pacioretty and Leblanc, and 1 year we traded the pick. You forgot McDonaugh was drafted before Pacioretty in 2007. Now go check the other 29 teams first round picks the last 10 years and see if they’ve been as successful as the Habs. O’yee of negativity.

43. crabvader says:

Corson and Svoboda were solid.

44. crabvader says:

I’d like to see people stop throwing Gainey under the bus for drafting.

As I point out below, our first round drafting has been pretty bad. 1993 we drafted Koivu.

Then you have to go back to 1984 to get a good first round.

45. showey47 says:

Take sittler instead and you got a deal

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Since 93? I think you mean from 1980 onwards, a stop in 93 and then straight on through for almost the rest of it. Habs haven’t been sharp in the first round since before I was born.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. yathehabsrule says:

C – Gilbert Perrault, Darryl Sittler (taking two centres cause depth at D is pretty bad)

LW- Yvon Lambert (3rd Round)

RW- Reggie Leach

D- Dale Tallon

G- Bouchard?….Nah I’ll go into the 5th Round and take Billy Smith

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Gainey wasn’t in charge until 2003 and it’s still a point of contention whether 2003 was ‘his’ draft or Andre Savard’ choices there.

2003, Lapierre and Locke were not taken ahead of any of the guys you named, they did miss on Shea Weber but so did most of the league. NSH has the best scouts in the business for finding defencemen talent. Chipchura was a victim of a bad accident (achilles tendon cut) that badly impacted his development.

Price is still young and has shown great talent, Subban was the 3rd pick from the 2007 draft and is looking to be our next great defencemen as well. Kristo and Leblanc are highly favoured prospects, Mac Bennett will be joining the University of Michigan, one of the best hockey programs in the entire US after an excellent USHL season and Quailer was well-regarded until his unforunate ACL injury.

Penguins have their franchise because of an even more epic tank than since they failed for Lemieux in ’84. Washington much the same, although they have generally selected well in the 1st round regardless of position. Mr. Franchise in Carolina is a 2nd overall pick, CLB’s Franchise name Nash went 1st overall. Chicago, great drafting and trades but still, their #1 and #2 men are Top 3 picks. The face of the Kings is Doughty, 2nd overall from 2008. TBL, Vinny and Stamkos? Oh right, 1st overall picks, Hedman a 2nd. NYI’s success will be defined by lottery selections if they have it. Many of these franchise players across the NHL came from Top 3 selections.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. kirbhabs says:

Here we go 1974… wanted to create some room up front with some muscle…
    not going to win much with my back end though…

Tiger Williams – Bryan Trottier – Mario Tremblay

Lee
    Fogolin
      Ron Greschner

Rejean Lemelin

Coach:  Doug
    Risebrough

50. kirbhabs says:

Pouliot

HABS

PRICE

HAMMER

KOIVU

51. K-hab25 says:

I’ve changed my mind, how about Wilson for Perreault instead, I need someone to help Bossy and Gillies isn’t a huge upgrade in net.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey you don’t ask, you don’t get. Every lopsided trade in NHL history begins with “no way is this for real!”.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. showey47 says:

Since i now have carey price type leverage (lol) i also want glen hanlon to add to my goaltending depth as part of the trade. Perhaps i can flip him to the guy who has the breezer?

54. gloveside says:

I know it’s been posted before but for the last
    time I’d like to show how “great” this management team has been at the
    draft table…let’s just look at our top 3 picks each year since 2000.

2000 – Hainsey, Marcel Hossa, Josef Balej

2001 – Komisarek, Perezhogin, Duncan Milroy

2002 – Higgins, Linhart, Ferland

2003
    – AK, Lapierre, Corey Locke [lets not bring up Carter, Richards,
    Getzlaf, Perry, Brown and Seabrook in what may have been the deepest
    draft in 30 years]

2004 – Chipchura, Yemelin, Wyman

2005 – Price, Aubin, D’Agostini

2006 – Fischer, Maxwell, Mathieu Carle, Ryan white

2007 – Paciretty, Weber, Stejskal

2008 – [Tanguay], Kristo, Quailer, Missiaen

2009 – Lablanc, Nattien, Bennett

Pretty
    embarrassing. My point is that every team in the league [except maybe
    the Leafs]. Have acquired at least one and sometimes several, top flight
    players during that time that continue to contribute in a big way to
    their franchises – many of them have become the face of the franchise.
    Yes the draft is a crap shoot but why are we really the only team not to
    acquire at least one “franchise-type” player in a decade? Bad luck?

55. crabvader says:

We haven’t drafted fairly well in the first round since 1993 when we drafted Saku.

The verdict is still out on Price and I’m starting to like the direction we’re headed in… but aside from that, we’ve drafted pretty darn badly in the first round since 1993… That’s a real head scratcher.

What’s even worse is that it was pure crap drafting in the 1st round before then to… all the way back to 1984 when we had two first rounders and drafted Petr Svoboda and Shayne Corson.

56. pmaraw says:

5)B R U T U S   T H E   B A R B E R   B E E F C A K E

57. K-hab25 says:

Oh well, I had to try. I guess I’ll do the deal with Showey instead. Thanks for listening to my offer.

58. K-hab25 says:

Well I’m hoping he’s Serious Fan 09′, in disguise.

59. K-hab25 says:

Ohhh, the dreaded double post.

60. crabvader says:

Early rounds were terrible. Later rounds were interesting.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

Or download a web browser that blocks pop-ups.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Sorry, I’ll stick with what I got, the last great generation of Quebecois.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

63. K-hab25 says:

Well you’re definitely a fair guy Ooder. I’d definitely have Breezer in and go for the kill.

64. crabvader says:

Considering the goaltenders that went in the first round, I think we’re ok with Auld as a backup.

65. K-hab25 says:

Hey I said to get back to me, I got a deal for Roy on the table. Maybe he’ll take Bossy and Talon instead.

66. ooder says:

it just wouldn’t be fair if had breezer starting you know

i wanna give other people a chance.

i’m such a nice guy i know

——————

88 is the new 23

67. showey47 says:

Where the F#$k is mike milbury when i need him.

68. showey47 says:

hey hey hey, you just shipped him to me for gilles “the thrill” meloche and dale talon. Who the hell do you think you are? Len Barrie? lol

69. Everlasting1 says:

Cripes. At the other end of the spectrum..1967, the year of the great expanse of teams – California Seals, LA Kings, Minnesota North Stars, Philly (gag), Pens, Blues..

Obviously not a typical draft year. Notable: Elgin McCann, picked 8th overall by the Habs. Never played a damn game in the NHL! :-/

Don’t pollute the water.

70. Jbird says:

1979: Mats Naslund – Dale Hunter – Mike Gardner

Ray Bourque – Rob Ramage

Pelle Lindbergh

Had to put Mats in over Messier – just had to.

71. K-hab25 says:

Let me know, because I got a deal on the table for Roy.

72. K-hab25 says:

I wish I was born in 84′. You got Roy, I’ll Trade you Bossy and Wilson for him.

73. showey47 says:

Hang on, i gotta get another team involved to make it a 3 way trade. There is no way in hell i can let doug wilson be flanked by bob stewart all season.