LL Cool J(unior) shines

Louis Leblanc lights up junior camp

Stu Cowan on Leblanc

No Heritage Classic at Big O

Robert L strolls Memory Lane

Jerry Rice, eat your heart out!

W5edTmCn09s

Martin Gerber?

Kariya to the Ducks?

John Madden signs in Minnesota where a 15-year-old has designed a mask for Nicklas Backstrom

Chelios to join Wings front office

• 27 per cent of the Predators worth $15.2 million U.S.

Nikita Filatov looks ahead

1. ooder says:

but if he is an unperson then he never existed, lifted out of the stream of history.

can’t be upset if you never existed

gotta brush up on your doublethink SF

——————

88 is the new 23

2. SeriousFan09 says:

Sounds like someone is upset the mods keep making him an unperson.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Team’s record at the time wasn’t worth a bucket of spit.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. observer says:

Sold the team too cheap – way, way too cheap.

5. Clay4bc says:

Cool – i’ve read the US version, but not the British one…would be great to see the last chapter…

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell –

6. ooder says:

tha’ts funny.. i just re read that for the first time since sec 4.

hated it back then

couldn’t put it down right now

——————

88 is the new 23

7. observer says:

It’s 1984 now!

You can run Tony, but you can’t hide.

9. Mark C says:

Thought the Skinner pick was great. With the Stevie Y talk today, passing Skinner (among others) and taking Connolly was his first risky move. Should be fun to see how this plays out with both in the same division.

I read 1984 and Animal Farm. Brilliant but depressing. I suggest reading Clockwork Orange (the British edition because it has the last chapter left out in the American version). At least you’ll chuckle your way through the dystopia.

11. Bugs says:

Really?

Huh…

All tastes exist in nature, I guess. I thought 1984 was boring as hell. What’s fun with bleak?

I think my favourite is A Clockwork Orange, which surprises me, I assure you. Moby Dick is up there too.

Why is it with all the King and Crichton and Clancy you read as a kid, it’s books like that that mark you the most?

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

12. Clay4bc says:

LOL…I bet they get better attendance at a Civil War reenactment!  :)

— George Orwell –

13. observer says:

$238-million US offer is what Balsillie offered for that team and the little dictator Bettman blocked him. —   http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/06/28/balsillie-predators.html

14. andrewberkshire says:

2 or 3? I’d be willing to wager that there are closer to 10 million Habs fans around the world. 3+ million in Quebec alone.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Because he was the chain account manager for Molson at the time, was about a decade younger and likely didn’t have the money or business connections he needed to organize a bid for the team. It is extremely unlikely at the time that he would have been able to pool the resources that would let him buy the Canadiens and have himself installed as principal owner, chairman of the board and the next team president.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t pull punches, hahaha.

17. andrewberkshire says:

I paid for tracking and it won’t be getting there on time. I’ll be attending all the summit activities but it looks like I’ll have to find game tickets for myself. No big deal, Ian. Thanks for organizing everything!

18. Bugs says:

Toranna Sports Network says TWO goals for Louie. Gord Miller and Pierre McGuire DISCUSS his TWO goals on the little video panel. What gives? Two goals or three goals?

One has got their facts straight and the other is a bald-faced liar who hates kittens and everything else that’s good in this world. So what’s the skinny? Two goals or three?

Cuz I ain’t gonna believe in nuthin no more if this keeps up.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

19. andrewberkshire says:

I knew what you meant. It’s astounding. Why the hell is there an NHL team in TENNESSEE?

20. observer says:

I hope you all notice, that Gillett a hero here in the local media’s eyes, that Molson’s Co./Coors selling of the team WAY TOO CHEAP to him letting him bailout here with that huge profit on re-sale of Habs plus all the profits he made here. WHILE his partner Hicks of the Stars has declared bankruptcy for his Texas Rangers, has his Dallas Stars for sale right now AND just last week the Liverpool soccer team owned by Gillett and Hicks in serious financial difficulty is about to be sold. Hicks had no Habs investment that a stupid Molson’s Co. sold TOO LOW to him to bail him out like Gillet had. Question is why did Geoff Molson not buy the team for the $200 million or so when Gillet bought it? Never heard the local media ask it?

Andrew, did not receive your ticket $ yet.

How many seats in white or club did you send me and when

22. Clay4bc says:

Yeah, I love that book too! Orwell was a great writer.I might have to give it another read myself – it’s been a while.

— George Orwell –

23. Led says:

Hey Clay, I’m currently (finally) reading “1984”. I can’t believe how entertaining and brilliant it is. Certainly one of my favourite books ever read.

24. Clay4bc says:

Do prefer cash, check, or credit card?

*edit* While we’re at it, let’s trade for their next 5 first round draft picks, and tank their team.

— George Orwell –

25. Clay4bc says:

Right…and of course that “%” by the 6 is supposed to be a 5, as in 56 million…tried to edit, but too late!

– George Orwell –

26. Clay4bc says:

“It might be more prudent as an annoyingly arrogant malcontent to stop
    being a hypocrite and look in the mirror before spouting absolute
    garbage and making up statistics everyday.”

C’mon Berkie, don’t hold back – tell us how you really feel :)

– George Orwell –

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs nation has what, 2, 3 million fans give or take?

Everyone pony up 20$, we’ll buy the Predators and trade Shea Weber to MTL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. observer says:

Has nothing to do with hate! These 2 Gainey and Gauthier here (for PG everywhere he’s been) are bad GMs period and Habs could do better with better people running the show. 17 going on 18 years of not reaching the Stanley Cup finals clearly shows you the inepitude of Habs GMs since 1993 – all of them.

29. Exit716 says:

You have to remember that the $550 million the Molson kids and partners forked over for the Habs also includes the arena and the GEG concert promotion company.

30. Clay4bc says:

He does look great, but what about that Skinner kid from Carolina? 70 goals, 123 points. Looks like they have a potential sniper on their hands…but that’s what you get for picking early (the #6 spot), I guess…given where we picked Gallagher (#89), we’ve got a great prospect.

– George Orwell –

31. andrewberkshire says:

Keep talking Habs_Guru, no one cares.

32. andrewberkshire says:

That’s a disgrace to the league.

33. Bill H says:

1.) Pouliot – contract year!

2.) Bulldogs

3.) Who cares? Except if Halak wins more, we’ll never hear the end of it here.

4.) AK46

5.) Neither, but if I have to choose, I’ll take Koivu.

34. observer says:

Because these 2 were and are running and ineffectively at that THIS TEAM that real Habs fans care about.

35. Clay4bc says:

I’m not a mathematician…but I believe that makes the Nashville team worth roughly $56 296 296.30

%6 Mill for an NHL team? Wow, the Southern strategy is working out well, is it not? A little over 10% of what the Habs cost – what a bargain…or it would be, if they had any fans.

Time for some contraction…

— George Orwell –

36. Mark C says:

The more one reads about Gallagher, the clearer it is that drafting him was a great flyer pick. He seems to play the almost requisite game required for an under-sizer. Time will tell if this long shot pans out at the NHL level, but I’m optimistic. Let’s hope he grows another inch or two.

37. andrewberkshire says:

Why are you so worried about Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier?

Why do you find it necessary to denigrate their respective careers? Gainey is highly respected among hockey people and his record stands on his own. How Gauthier’s franchise does going forward will be the ultimate judge.

Are you perhaps worried that they might actually succeed at improving their team? It might be more prudent as an annoyingly arrogant malcontent to stop being a hypocrite and look in the mirror before spouting absolute garbage and making up statistics everyday.

38. Chorske says:

Why make the announcement at a Crescent STreet restaurant? That is ass-backwards.

First, it sends the wrong message: woo-hoo, you’re playing in Montreal, time to break out the party shoes, let’s crack open that keg and celebrate!

Second: why not do the launch in the working class neighborhood where the team is based?

As if these kids weren’t being channeled down the party circuit enough as it is.

39. oshawahabsfan says:

I agree, I think this was a great selection. He put up very impressive numbers in what is likely the toughest of the three junior leagues to play in.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

His record of drafting Chris Pronger for Hartford (about all he can hang his hat on there), no real playoff success with Vancouver (with a significant tenure there), an Anaheim team he inherited and the new GM having to massively rebuild thanks to his crappy drafting record and now handing a divisional rival lottery picks while his team sits on the bottom of the league. That record can stand alright, but it it is close to falling over because of massive overbuilding by himself, the media and the Make Believes fanbase.

No one’s denigrating Yzerman, he was a fantastic hockey player and one of the best of his era. However, player success does not success off the ice. We’re tired of hearing how Yzerman has become Sam Pollock with a month on the job. Gretzky assembled the 2002 Gold Medal Squad, than he assembled the 2006 National Embarassment squad. One success pulling from the best pool of hockey talent in the world does not an NHL management genius make.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. habstrinifan says:

Right On! Very hard player to justify in any list of “GREATS” because of his attitude. Kovalev is a talented dilettante (someone who shows frivolous or superficial interest). He never played with purpose to the point where you could put him out ‘when you needed a goal’ like you could say Lafleur. A talented player but a dilettante!

Someone who plays any team sport without accepting the ‘PSYCHOLOGICAL burden and responsibility’ of being ‘counted upon‘  should not be put in the echelons of the greats.

He may have been exciting. He may have been smooth. He may have been talented enough to earn special attention from opponents, but he was never motivated enough to achieve and therefore cannot be considered great by any criteria.

The great player in a team sport, whether a selfish or unselfish teammate, has one distinguishable characteristic. He/She harnesses all his physical talent with mental focus and motivational drive to deliver. Kovy never had that. He never had the ‘courage‘ to put himself through that stress.

42. Clay4bc says:

Your new sig is amusing – well done!

– George Orwell –

43. oshawahabsfan says:

What record? You think he actually deserves credit for having a Stanley Cup team handed to him in Anaheim. Anyone could have got Pronger out of Edmonton, as his wife was the one making the decision to leave. He’s made one good move, trading up to draft the Sedins when he was in Vancouver. Other than that, he sure doesn’t have anything to write home about

44. crabvader says:

What’s so immature about wanting people to stop bickering and calling each other names?

If anything, your post reflects your own sentiments.

45. Clay4bc says:

Thanks James – I appreciate it. Nice to see someone else pointing that out.

– George Orwell –

46. halakitlikethat says:

haha, I’m back in St. John’s now! I was living in Beaumont, Texas when I created this account. Back on the rock now though!

47. crabvader says:

I really like that mask design the youngster made for Backstrom. Very cool.

48. Clay4bc says:

I see…I am not allowed to defend myself? Others can spew venom with impunity, but I am not allowed a retort?

I will do as I choose, but thanks for the advice. Perhaps it is you who needs to move on.

— George Orwell –

49. showey47 says:

Pretty good prediction but i think cammy scores more then gio barring injuries and i can only hope for #10 to come true.

50. _Habsoloutly_ says:

whats new, another stupid, immature, idiotic post from you.

51. observer says:

Submitted by SeriousFan09 – It was a 3rd for Schneider ================ Not and Wrong!

52. TripleX says:

Why are you so worried about Brian Burke and Steve Yzerman?

Why do you find it necessary to find anything to denigrate their respective careers?  Burke is highly respected among hockey people and his record stands on its own.  Yzerman was taught by one of the best and I am sure he will be successful.  How Yzerman’s franchise does going forward will be the ultimate judge.

Are you perhaps worried that they might actually succeed at improving their respective teams?  It might be more prudent as a Canadiens fan to analyze how PG is doing at improving the Habs.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

53. observer says:

This post was about the Habs draft and when a GM is supposed to build the team basically from the players he drafts in the top of the draft and the team had traded away 5 of them leaving the Habs no picks in those spots plus the 3 others in the top two rounds they either traded away or didn’t sign – it SURELY affects the GM’s draft performance and draft record.

54. nightmare_49 says:

s – So during his tenure with Anaheim GM Burke’s Bobby Ryan certainly looks better than any of GM Hollands in Detroit during that time so Holland lovers eat my shorts.

Bobby Ryan wasn’t handed to him as it was a gamble as Ryans off the ice problems were numerous.

55. crabvader says:

Clay4bc with yet another negative post… what’s new?

Go spit your venom somewhere else. Tired of all this name-calling and finger-pointing on HI/O.

This Gallagher kid might just pay off for the Habs somewhere down the road.

Click on the chart to see his ranking in the first grouping of 30.

Brian!!—Are you in TEXAS? reporting in St. Johns?

Nice report but where are you?

58. Clay4bc says:

I see you edited my name and much of the vitriol out of your comment before I had a chance to reply – or did the mods delete it? Nevertheless, I will reply to you…for those wondering, he said that I repeatedly  praise Burke (and called me “stupid”, wasn’t it?).

“A stupid
    man’s report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he
    unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”
    Bertrand Russell

Do
    you understand, little man? I have never in my life expressed
    admiration or respect for Burke – save when he attended the gay pride
    rally in honour of his deceased son. You might want to consider your
    words before writing, or risk being exposed as the fool you are – as you
    just were.

And FYI, I have the utmost respect for Bob Gainey. Again, you know nothing of what you write.

— George Orwell –

59. Mike Boone says:

Plekanec

60. zozotheclown says:

Kariya-Koivu-Selanne would be a sick 2nd line, I hope it happens.

61. Psycho29 says:

You also forgot to mention the 88 points and 47% win pct…oh and something about dinosaurs and it’s a young man’s game….

62. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Here are my 10 prediction for this upcoming season IF the habs can stay healthy this year?

1. Most points – Plekanec

2. Most Goals – Gionta

3. Team finishes – 5th in conference or better.

4. Top 2 lines in goals- Cammalleri – 35+ – Plekanec – 25+ – AK46 – 25+

Gionta – 40+ – Gomez 15+ – Pouliot – 25+ totalling 160 or goals

5. 1st PP Unit – Cammalleri – Plekanec – AK46 – Markov – Subban

2nd PP Unit – Gionta – Gomez – Pouliot – Hamrlik -Spacek

6. 3rd & 4th lines – scoring 50 or more goals.

7. Carey Price – more wins than losses.

8. P.K. Subban – In the running for Rookie of the year award.

9. Team names a Captain – Markov – Gorges – Gionta or Cammalleri

10. Coach – Better prepares himself in letting younger players learn from their mistakes instead off benching.

63. HabFanSince72 says:

There’s no way Kovy was more skilled than Guy Lafleur.

That’s just among Habs I have seen.

64. saskhabfan says:

You would be surprised. The majority of those who hate BG or PG always seem to use burke as a comparison.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

65. gloveside says:

That homeless guy who lives at the entrance to the Berri Metro [St. Cat's door]. “Got 3 bucks for a BLT?”

66. W35T5ID3 says:

where the F is Crosby?!Sure hes still a guy only bin in da league for 5-6 yrs but hes got skill like no other.This list is a joke!And Gretzky number 3?xWow,unreal.

67. Bahamut-Prime says:

Would’ve been much scarier line five or ten years ago though.

68. MTLForever says:

1993.

kariya – koivu – harvey

pronger – witt

i guess thibault

69. otter649 says:

I don’t think there are many brian burke lovers here as it is Habs Inside/Out & not Leafs Inside/Out……..lol

70. madcap_habsfan says:

1) pouliot 2) ……? 3) both will do well, as long as price does better when the Blues comes to town 4) Andrei K 5)KOIVU

71. crabvader says:

I feel like I just watched 300 in an octagon!

72. Storm Man says:

You can sign up for alerts on nhl.com to know when tickets go on sale and also make friends with flames ticket holders.

73. Aerobiz says:

Nice report!

What you say about LL gives me the “Uh oh’s”.

We’ve already had a Mickey Ribs. I hope it was just an off night.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch