Liveblog: Caps beat Rangers 2-1, force Game 7

Richards

Only one semi-final series goes the limit.
And it should be a great Saturday night in New York City.
A late goal by Marian Gaborik made it interesting, but this was the Caps night.
Braden Holtby made 30 saves.
Alexander Ovechkin and Jason Chimera scorfed.
Washington blocked 24 shots to six by the Rangers.
Faceoffs were 38-27.
The game had 70 hits.

At the risk of repeating myself, it’s going to be a beauty at Madison Square Garden.

Dale Hunter was able to roll four lines and got great hockey from his pluggers, notably Matt Hendricks … who had more ToI than Ovechkin, who had five hits, three shots and three blocked shots.

Brad Richards was 11-17 on draws.

The Caps’ PK killed five minors, including a four-minute high-sticking call on Jeff Halpern.

1. frontenac1 says:

I miss Bob Cole. Should I feel shame?

2. Stormin says:

Hunter’s favorite line,,,, Ovechkin Laich Semin

3. Mavid says:

one of the greatest inventions has to be the PVR and the ability to pause live TV…snack time..pee time…no problem…

4. Kimberly2u says:

Anyone have a Semin jersey??

5. habsfan0 says:

This game is boring.

Bob Cole would liven it up,baby.

6. slapshot777 says:

Anyone notice the fan sitting behind the the Caps bench wearing a Habs jersey.

7. commandant says:

Not surprised Gainey is in Dallas. He did a pretty good job there before coming to Montreal.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

8. Stormin says:

Cassie Canpbell asks Dale Hunter what will it take to get Semin flying

Hunter replies Hamrlik should help Semin produce on the PP

9. nickster13 says:

Man, Semin is flying out there! He’s all over the place!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

10. Zorro1 says:

If it wasn’t for Joel Ward’s penalty in Game 5,this series would likely be over.

11. Kimberly2u says:

Semin. Is that hair gel??

12. frontenac1 says:

Ha!The foxy lady on cbc says Gainey hired as a consultant in Dallas!

13. Bill says:

PJ just said something like, “I’m gonna show you just how spazmatic a shift can be” … spazmatic? Do you think he meant “spasmodic”? Or whaaaa??

Full Breezer 4 Life

14. Stormin says:

Cassie Canpbell asks Dale Hunter what will it take to get Semin flying

15. habsfan0 says:

Gainey to Dallas. Can the “Ghost” be far behind?

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

Vintage (1932) lacrosse game ends in brawl: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/05/09/lacrosse-brawl-montreal-toronto.html

…Montreal vs Turdranna …Montreal lacrosse team in Hab-like sweaters

… plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose :)

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

17. showey47 says:

lundqvist takes a semin shot,right in the face.

18. Stormin says:

Semin feeds Hamrlik

19. frontenac1 says:

Prust ,what meathead!

20. frontenac1 says:

Holtby in Da Zone!What is he like 20yrs old or something?

21. jo_maka says:

A very active Semin along the boards
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

22. Stormin says:

In Ken Dryden’s documentary the game, he really breaks down how Hockey can be a game of inches, with the puck glancing off a skate , ala that goal by Chimera, first the icing, and then the puck glancing off Backsrom’s skate right over to Chimera.

23. Mr_MacDougall says:

WOW! Is there any need of 30 seconds of sirens and horns blaring? I think that takes away from the crowd reaction and atmosphere, making a Capitals goal annoying.

• boing007 says:

I like a few blasts from the police siren. It’s part of their tradition. The boathorns are too much.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

24. otter649 says:

Who is Torts gonna blame this time……

25. frontenac1 says:

Wow! Chimera!

26. frontenac1 says:

Stormin,Don’t forget Murray Wilson,man could he fly!

• Stormin says:

He was fighting for my five spot with Bourne very similar stride. So funny you mentioned him, I was fighting with him or Bourne for 5.

27. Stormin says:

Great Skaters my top 5 speed, power, or just plain pure overall stride.

1) Bobby Orr
    2) Pavel Bure
    3)Mike Gartner
    4)Paul Coffey
    5)Bob Bourne

28. frontenac1 says:

Semin curled?

29. ont fan says:

Leach scored 61 goals that year for the Flyers? There is a big difference when you play for the team all year and only coming in last minute. But it was a nice story.

30. Stormin says:

We may never know how good Reggie Leach could have been, because he played 50% of all his games drunk, the other 50% of games in his career he played hung over.

31. frontenac1 says:

Yeah, Raymond,Bluet and Le Tigre!That would be some wild franco S#*T!

32. axxerd says:

With Koivu signing a 1 year extension with Anaheim, I guess I now know which game I will be flying to Montreal to see.

Koivu was my favourite player growing up, and I have only been to Montreal to see one game so far (last october vs. Leafs). I’d love if he retired as a Hab.

Anyone know around when I should suspect the schedule to be out?

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

33. durocher says:

With all due respect to Gainey’s career as a player, I am delighted and relieved that he’s no longer with the Habs organization and has “brought his talents” to Dallas.

Speaking of Dallas, I think Ott would look great in a Habs sweater. Sending Bourque and Diaz to Dallas for Ott sounds good to me.

34. punkster says:

Why does Dan Chorra, or whatever his name is, have to yell in all his Crotch’s Corners, or whatever it’s called.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HardHabits says:

He’s arguing with everybody. He’s grandstanding. Ron McLean can’t hear him. The louder he is the righter he is.

Any other questions?

35. Habfan10912 says:

I can’t remember being so bored at a friggin play-off game. Game after game after game. Has Bettman and Daddy finally ruined the best part if our hockey season? Seriously, regular season games on most night have been more entertaining then this. And like most of you, I love this game! Sigh.

———————————–

• Stormin says:

1st round of Playoff’s always rock, the best round by far every year.

Also, I think it is more of just getting fed up of watching so much NHL hockey without getting to see Habs in any of these games.

• Habfan10912 says:

I hope your right Storm. I know if Habs were involved I’d be having chest pains but the lack of scoring otherwise bothers me.

———————————–

• Stormin says:

Certainly has been a stress free spring without Habs in playoffs.
          Here is hoping for some type of interesting or exciting finals, Game 7′s also seem to work for me, but besides that I agree lack of scoring is a little boring and getting predictable.

36. Stormin says:

Cherry is right on that one, absolutely horrible attempt at getting puck out of own end , brain dead play by McDonagh

37. commandant says:

Cherry’s all over McDonagh

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

38. Max_a_million says:

Hey, I want Larry Robinson back in the fold!

39. habs-fan-84 says:

oh how I don’t miss Hamrlik and his dumb penalties.

40. Kimberly2u says:

Every time they say Semin I start laughing. Lol

41. Un Canadien errant says:

I generally think the Ron MacLean suffers from being tasked to babysit HNIC’s doddering fool/cash machine, so I usually take his critics with a grain of salt, but in this comparison of hockey players to 9/11 emergency responders he clearly overreaches in trying to sell this game, and ends up sounding like a clown. Ron, we’ve all written term papers the night before on a hokey or dubious thesis, we know what it sounds like when we’re trying to create something out of the facile and superficial, so you’re not fooling anyone with this stinker.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

42. frontenac1 says:

Hey,anybody know the nature of john Erskine”s injury?Haven’t seen him for awhile.He’s a guy I wouldn’t mind seeing in the CH next year

43. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I’m starting to think that we should hire a 100% unilingual anglo, just to piss Raymond off

44. habsfaninboston says:

Hammer for 2 more seasons? No thanks.

Good back checking by Johansson. He probably saved a goal right there.

46. frontenac1 says:

Forget Pat Roy! Too much of an introvert! Get “Le Tigre and Bluet” behind the bench .Now you’re talkin!

Torts schooling McDonagh, telling him he’s gotta get the puck up the ice in no uncertain terms.

48. Kimberly2u says:

Go caps go

49. boing007 says:

Boone: How many times do we have to watch the Flames win the Stanley Cup? Makes ya hate Scotiabank.

Maybe they have a bank account with Scotiabank.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

50. L Elle says:

According to that D-bag Bert Raymond, the next coach must be a Quebecer: His choices,

Patrick Roy
    Michel Therrien
    Bob Hartley (Price hater)

Not Marc Crawford because he’s more Anglophone than Francophone.
    (Is he allowerd to say these things publicly? Isn’t this discrimination, or something like that?)

• Propwash says:

I guess it has to with the coach having to thoroughly explain a losing record in French.
      The team needs to hire the best available, let the media translate.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• nickster13 says:

Of course its discrimination, I don’t know how we can put up with this. The actual job requires no french ability whatsoever, so this is just pure discrimination. And no, talking to snot-nosed reporters is not part of the job.
      I dont know how we can put up with this language crap all the time.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Talking to snot-nosed reporters is central to a professional coach’s job, it’s the way the fans, the customers, find out about the team.

As far as the job requirements, it’s completely common that a company in Québec will specify the ability to speak French as a necessary or preferred qualification.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• ont fan says:

Maybe we should hire Torts then. he knows how to talk to reporters. 30 seconds.

• habstrinifan says:

If Raymond did indeed write that about Marc Crawford… that he is more anglophone than francophone then you are glossing over blatant discrimination… the requirement to speak french is understood… that he be quebecois francophone is being discriminatory.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m responding to Nickster’s comments, he’s swinging too far the other way in my opinion.

Read my comments further down, in direct response to L Elle’s post about Bertrand Raymond’s comments.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Stormin says:

I hate that by Quebecer they mean French first language born and raised , and that is pure and simply wrong. I hope Habs draft Mike Matheson perfectly bilingual born and raised Quebecer to put forth this pure Quebecois myth to the test, time to move forward,,,seems being Bilingual sometimes is not even enough, that borders on racism.

• boing007 says:

If you’re not ‘de souche’ then forget about it.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• L Elle says:

I agree the coach needs to speak French to communicate and “bond” with the public. But, unfortunately, what he really means is OFA (of French Ancestry) as you mention.

• jo_maka says:

I speak french fluently as a second language, and actually speak english as a third. I’m as francophile as they come but this is getting out of hand. The Cunneyworth Circus was totally unwarranted, unnecessary and shameful by all accounts, but the media have to also share the blame for overblowing it. And an honest hardworking man doing a job he wasn’t supposed to do , his back against the wall, against all odds had to go through their linguistic blender all day to nurture their bigoted minds.

What really grinds my gears is that they’re all up in arms to ”protect” the language, but have a gomezian approach to actually ”respecting” it. What gives ???

So, let me see.

If somebody is born and raised in St-Jules-De-Patrickton, Gaspésie – PQ, is he quebecer enough ?
        Alright then, how about the fact that he was born in an actual Irish village ?

God forbid we talk about Natives…..
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve never been impressed with Bertrand Raymond, if only for his pedestrian writing, his arrogance as he expounds his views, and the rag he used to work for.

I’m completely not on board with this view of his, I’ve heard some on RDS explain it in that way. If they say that the coach must be able to speak French effectively so as to connect with the fans and be able to communicate with the next generation of Canadiens, I fully support that notion. If they say that a candidate should have ties to Québec or the Canadiens for strategic long-term reasons, I understand. But to say that a coach isn’t ‘Francophone enough’ is balderdash and bigoted.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• L Elle says:

I don’t understand why they give him airtime. Exactly what you said, his views and attitude are of a different generation. The modern Quebecer is usually embarrassed by his “kind”.

• habstrinifan says:

My apologies re above. I jumped to a conclusion without realizing that you had indeed clarified your stance here.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trinifan I’ll be picky here and refute that I was clarifying anything. If anything, you may have misread who I was responding to, and in what order. Please note the time stamp if necessary.

My stance on this issue has been quite clear and consistent. I was clear in my response to L Elle, and clear in my response to Nickster, who I thought was swinging way too far the other way in response to Bertrand Raymond’s nonsense.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• boing007 says:

Let’s hire Bertrand Raymond for HC. That might shut him up.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have My long pointy ears down here in the rabbit hole hear Gainey hired as a Dallas ‘consultant’ ?

…Bob ? = Dallas ? = Gomerlito ??? …or, has someOne spiked My carrots during My slumber ?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Halpern have a big game tonight.

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

@un Canadien errant

…couldn’t agree more

…having agreed with You, I will crawl back My rabbit hole to snooze

…wake Me up when Roy is hired, will Ya please ? …t’anks

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

@rhino

…mr. Rhino sir …I get exhausted always having to hear some of HIO’s deep thinkers blather reasons and opinions to bring-in outsiders when We have available ex-Players and Management with the Royal Jelly of Our Montreal Canadiens painted on Their Hearts and Souls

…thanks to Dave Stubbs and Yourself for saying what I try to point to HIO’s great unwashed ceaselessly, but o so more eloquently than I

…if We do not try to hire Roy, Big Bird and Carbo behind Our bench this special summer, I will personally initiate the Fire Bergevin ! HIO commitee :)

55. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds these playoffs boring, the style of play homogeneous and devoid of flair or style, and that the cheerleading and backslapping from the broadcasters which passes for analysis assents to the euthanasia of the game we love.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habs001 says:

I guess it depends if your a fan of the teams in the playoffs…when the habs beat pitts and wash the games probably looked to same as these games for fans who did not care who won…

56. rhino514 says:

I love the article by Stubbs. Let´s face it; we have a great winning tradition with this franchise and Carb and Big Bird are guys who have been part of that. Stubbs makes a good point when he mentions that the fans have grown disconnected from the team.
    We should take advatnage of these legends we have at our disposal. We are not like any other NHL city where they just try and hire the most qualified candidate in a cold, rational way.
    We need people who have bled for this team and who will take a vested interest in being part of the organization…people who see it as so much more than just a sports franchise, because it is so much more to all of us.
    I hope we have guys behind the bench and in the organization who are part of the Canadiens family…there aren´t that many left out there.
    Carbs may not have been part of the dynasty, but he played with a few of those guys, and was a good captain. Big Bird needs no mentioning.
    I for don´t think we should break with our history. We may not win the Cup every second year, but we will be stronger if we have personnel who have been part of the Canadiens family and the fan base will feel a true emotional link to the team. That is important in the case of the Montreal Canadiens

• stevieray says:

Didn’t we try that with Tremblay …..I think with the new highly touted and respected GM ….we need a experience coach who has won a cup before ..so bring on Crawford or if they dare Teddy Nolan

57. Propwash says:

You know why Roy seemingly looks good as a coach for the Habs? It’s simple, he co-owns, GM’s, and coaches the Remparts. In having all those positions covered, he is able to hide any mistakes he has made, and make himself look real good in the process.

The only way I’d ever want him in the Habs organization is as a goaltending coach, put him in as a mentor of what he did best, stopping the puck.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

Prop, I rarely disagree with you, and while you may be onto something, I don’t really agree. I think he has done an excellent job with the Remparts. My issue with Patrick is the inexperience dealing with pros and the fact he seems to be rather volatile. Given our GM is green, I think the possiblity exists he could run roughshod over Marc. I guess my point is, I don’t want to take anything away from his accomplishments, and if he were to run the Bulldogs bench for a couple years, I think I would be happy to have Patrick in Montreal as coach, just not now.

• Propwash says:

In regards to the coaching situation here, I’d like to have some stability, with a clear thinker behind the bench, someone who can deal with professional athletes, not someone who would fly off the handle, Roy recently had his team fined due to comments about a rival GM, I wouldn’t want somebody like that behind the bench.

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

58. HabFab says:

Defenceman Alex Henry signed with Düsseldorfer EG of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga for 2012-13.

Sorry if previously reported.

59. HabFab says:

Any update on the Emelin injury?

• Habfan10912 says:

Good evening sir. I did a quick search and came up empty. Not surpriced if they send him home with no update a la PK.

———————————–

60. Price 6 years 45 million

in 3 – 2- 1

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• Rugger says:

I’m fearful that the choice will be Gregerinko (spelling?) or one of the Dmen. Too many good things being said about Galchenyuk – I think he may go first, Nail 2nd.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

It’s cute that someone thinks some particular guy’s draft rankings are “authoritative” because said dude watches a lot of hockey games, but because Bob McKenkie’s draft rankings are a composite of the opinions of the some of the NHL scouting directors who actually have influence on the people who make the selections, so I’ll trust That list.
      Regardless of whether or not Nail Yakupov should be the first player taken in the draft, McKenzie thinks he will be, so I have a hard time believing he’ll fall to #3.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      - Sean Bonjovi

61. Bripro says:

I sat watching the Rangers steal that game from the Caps, and noticed my boy sitting on the bottom steps watching the game from there.
    For those of you who don’t know, my 19-year old is a Bruins’ fan. I say 19, because yesterday was his birthday.
    So he came and sat and watched the overtime with me and started asking questions about the Habs since Bergevin has arrived.
    After a few minutes I said: “Remember how you and I used to go watch the games at the Bell Centre together, and that private practice we were privileged to attend (just he and I in the building…it was special, but I digress)?”
    “I remember”
    “So, what turned you into a Bs fan? You loved the Habs!”
    “Yup, and then they traded Saku! That was it for me!”

62. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I always wondered what happened in 2008-09, we seemed to have it all in the bag, then the bottom fell out, the team collapsed and by the time it was over most of the players I had grown to love were GONE.
    It was like they coulden’t get out fast enough, I always thought that the real story of what went wrong will never be told.
    i would still like to know what it was though…….

63. Ali says:

Saku re-signs for one more year with Anaheim. Hope they visit Montreal so I can come down from Toronto for the game and see one of my childhood heroes.

64. H.Upmann says:

Carbo and Big Bird eh? I have to admit that hockey under Carbo was fun to watch. The Count just killed it.

• The Cat says:

Carbo was blessed with a super PP, but to his credit, he had the habs improve 5on5 every month of his tenure (I know this because I kept stats) until that great collapse in January, which Id really love to know what really happened, why the team suddenly stopped playing for him.

• commandant says:

Considering

1) there are 4 or 5 guys still on the team, who were part of the team that quit on Carbo. And three of them Markov, Pleky, Price are major leaders.

2) Carbo flamed out in his other two coaching roles, nearly having Canada relegated at the U18s, and his time in the QMJHL.

3) no one else has hired him, whereas guys like Julien, Therrien, Vigneault etc… they all got NHL jobs after leaving here.

I’m gonna have to say no to Carbo

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

65. punkster says:

4:30 PM on Day 7 of the Bergevin era and what has he done to get us the Cup? Trades? Promotions? Signings? Coaches?

Kick him in the butt.

DO IT GEOFF MOLSON!!!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• hansolo says:

I hear he bought a replica Cup to put in the dressing room and administrative offices to keep everyone focused on the goal — does that count? :-)

• Habfan10912 says:

Well Punkster one thing we can say about you. You’re consistent. :)

———————————–

Was my understanding he was seen at Staples trying to return 30+ unused notepads he found in a secret drawer in the Head Coaches office. Apparantly he had no receipt, but he charmed the girl at the Customer Service/Returns desk and was given a full refund.

We got ourselves a keeper Punkster!

66. HabFanSince72 says:

Stubbs starts the “Bring Larry Home” movement.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

I started paying attention to the Habs after Carbonneau was fired, what are the con’s for him as HC?

• Ali says:

He wasn’t the greatest communicator. And his constant line juggling will make you dizzy. But he did have the most regular season success of any recent habs coach.

Edit: It was also mind-boggling to me how such a great defensive player was not the greatest defensive coach. Defensive zone coverage under Carbo was brutal, and clearing the puck usually consisted of rim it around the boards and hope for the best. That was one thing that improved greatly under JM. Also the team was brutal on faceoffs apart from Saku. Also suprising considering how good of a faceoff man Carbo was (apparently).

• HabFanSince72 says:

He completely lost it.

Gorges even started as forward at one point.

Say what you will about JM, he always kept an even keel.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

Sounds like he was making rookie mistakes, maybe he improved while coaching in the Q?
          But he left that Head Coach job in the Q, so coaching might just not be what he wants right now.

• Ali says:

He coached for 15 games in the Q. Don’t think he learned much of anything.

• shiram says:

Obviously, I did not know he coached for that long! Well maybe it’s just not his thing then!

• Ali says:

I think he just expects another head coaching job. I don’t know if arrogance is the right word, but i feel he thinks he’s already paid his dues and won’t take an AHL job. I find it hard to imagine that nobody has offered him one.

• shiram says:

that sounds so similar to Roy, and they both own teams in the QJMHL.

• Ali says:

At least Roy coached in the Q. Carbo’s been sitting on RDS waiting for a job.

• Chris says:

Injuries piled up, and then the team completely imploded.

The Kostitsyn/Hamrlik report. The Koivu-Kovalev tensions. Bob Gainey and Carbonneau sat Kovalev for two games mid-season (mental fatigue was the cited reason). Higgins being stripped of his assistant captaincy.

Carbonneau, for whom everything in coaching had gone relatively smoothly to that point, was suddenly in a firestorm and he pretty clearly didn’t have any idea what to do with that team.

Throw in the frequent criticism of his communication skills (although I find this one interesting, because there are many a successful coach who have borne that “poor communication skills” label) and you have Carbonneau.

But on the other hand, he opened it up when he recognized that he didn’t have the personnel to play a defence-first system, and was rewarded with the Habs best regular season performance since the 1980′s (albeit aided mightily by a lack of serious injuries that season). If they had run into anybody other than Philadelphia, they could very well have gone to the Finals that year. Unfortunately, Philadelphia was the rock to Montreal’s scissors and the team was unceremoniously bounced in a series that saw the Habs’ mighty offence completely disappear and the normally unflappable Carey Price looked somewhat flappable.

I would not be against giving Carbonneau another go, especially with Robinson as an assistant coach, but I think his leash would be so short that it might not be feasible.

• Ali says:

I think the impact of losing Lang with that achilles injury was greatly underappreciated. That guy was a key player both on the ice and as a leader to keep the room loose.

• Gerry H says:

I like the idea. I think Big Bird as a defensive coach could do a lot to balance that weakness under Carbo. I also think that Gainey panicked by firing him. Carbo had had a lot of success as a rookie coach and the rough patch that preceeded his firing was relatively short. Gainey couldn’t handle the pressure and succumbed to the “don’t just stand there, do something…” trap.

• hansolo says:

I liked Larry when he played but didn’t like his demand to have his number retired. Even Jean Beliveau was flabbergasted, saying that having your number retired was an honor you might be granted, but one you never demanded. I’m also not sure why he left the Habs when he played. I’m sure he had defacto power over his trade to the Kings. I can’t help thinking those things carry some ill-will even today. But we have a new team in place that has no connection to the teams of the 70s and 80s, so perhaps we can let bygones be bygones.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The reason Larry left was all too common, no secrets there. His skills were declining as he advanced into his thirties, but still wanted to play as much as possible. The Canadiens had better options, couldn’t afford to give him the icetime he wanted, but the Kings and other teams were in a position where they would value his prestige and experience and could still use him. Not a very clean divorce, relations were strained when he left, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The campaign to have one’s jersey retired is always awkward. The trouble stems from having retired Henri Richard’s #16, which led Yvan Cournoyer to want his #12 in the rafters as well. I remember a ceremony for him when he was at centre ice, an easel was set up with a frame being screened by a blue cloth. When the cloth was pulled back, instead of his jersey about to be retired, we saw that he was being given a portrait picture of himself. The disappointment was plain to see on his face.

Eventually, they relented, Mr. Cournoyer got his wish, but then a line formed, with Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson, Patrick Roy… This cascaded out of control. If I was boss, which I should be, the only retired numbers would be 1, 4, 7, 9, and maybe 10.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

67. Newf_Habster says:

If the Capitals win tonight, the 7th game will be played this Saturday night, not tomorrow or Friday night! I hate it.

• habsfan0 says:

Are you sure it won’t be Saturday afternoon? I don’t see NBC pre-empting their Saturday night prime time schedule for a hockey game.

68. shiram says:

Kari Ramo might come back to the NHL, french news here :http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/339971.html

He says he was not a small piece of the Cammy trade. Going to the KHL allowed him to play nearly 200 over 3 years, and that’s what he needed to become a better goalie.
    He has one year left on his KHL deal, but says he could play for the Flames this coming season.

• rhino514 says:

i have this suspicious feeling that ramo will have an impact in the nhl at some point.
      And if Camy is healthy he is going to get 30 goals. I know many here don´t miss him, but him leaving was a tough one to swallow. When was the last time we had a true sniper who loved playing in Montreal? I could see why he had to leave given his salary, but I think they should have gotten more for him.

69. CanadienBoy says:

So Robinson saying he would love a chance at assistant coach with the Habs as his contract expired this summer ,might just be what PK need

• shiram says:

Any chance you can share a link to that news?

• The Dude says:

Roy and Robinson….don’t get better than that combo.

• habsfan0 says:

What about Roy as head coach, Mario Tremblay,Guy Carbonneau,& Mathieu Dandeneault as assistants?

If that was to happen, fans at Bell Centre would be watching action behind bench,not what was happening on ice.

• Bripro says:

Not Roy….anyone but him.
        He’s much too volatile for the NHL. That works for Juniors because they’re still kids and sometimes need to be reminded in a forceful way who is boss. But he’s just too over-the-top.
        Carbonneau had an excellent record when Gainey let him go, for whatever reason. Bring Carbo back!

70. newbrunswick troy says:

i miss the puck casts the panel used to do..when will they do another??

71. Habitant in Surrey says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

72. commandant says:

Fearless prediciton…. 2 goals for Alex Ovechkin tonight

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

73. shiram says:

Go Caps Go.

74. ZepFan2 says:

Fyi, WWF now stands for the World Wildlife Fund. I believe the acronym you were looking for is WWE.

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

75. HabFab says:

Now animals will be animals!!

76. twilighthours says:

You showing your age? WWF was “world wrestling federation”, which predated WWE.

77. stevieray says:

Correcto mondo …”Whats you gonna do when Hulkamania runs WILDDDDDDD over you “

78. ZepFan2 says:

My age? :lol:

I just forgot to add “now” before “stands for”.

I was going to the Verdun arena when Andre the Giant was known as Giant Jean Ferrè and Édouard Carpentier was a star. Waaay before WWF/E. :wink:

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

79. habstrinifan says:

World Wildlife Fund or Federation ( I cant recall) had the original copyright. There was a prolongated battle and World Wrestling Federation was ordered to cease and desist from using the term and so hey changed to WWE.