Liveblog: Shootout Win!

MoenPens

As is their habit, your Montreal Canadiens blew leads:
1-0
2-1
Very exciting OT and on to a shootout

Bourque (?):  GOAL!

Sullivan: Sprawling save

AK46: Save

Dupuis: Save

Plekanec: GOAL!

Williams: SAVE!!!

1. Rad says:

If Cole is hurt, he should not be playing.

2. Trisomy 21 says:

Someone should tell Max he looks like a one trick pony on the breakaway/shootout/penalty shot.
    I’ll place a bet right now his next break he shoots.

3. Mavid says:

Anderson yanked…already 2 goals on 4 shots..Sens may want to re think as to if this guy is their Savior….he he he

Okay the real beauty of fewer posters as our team “Tanks” is conversations can be carried during games here at HI/O! :)

5. harrow15 says:

Is it just me or is Cole playing a tad timid and not himself? I know hes hurt his hand in detroit and hes playing like he dont wana do it further damage.

Heads up, P.K.’s hip is coming.

6. diehardhab says:

Anyone got a good stream?

The torch be yours to hold it high!

@MTLJosh

7. Mavid says:

Fleury is leaving some juicy rebounds…

8. Propwash says:

DARCHE! Jeez!

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

9. frozengolf says:

Totally wrong to be sitting Diaz, the kid is a good player. Does him no good sitting in the press box. IMO he could be a top 4 d-man for us for years to come.

_________________________________________________________
    “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

—Fred “The Fog” Shero

10. Rooster says:

Lines I’d like to see Kostitsyn – Eller – Borque. Cole – DD – Pacoretty LL – pleks – moen/gomez Darche – White – moen/Gomez Suban – gorges Emelin – Diaz Gill – kaberle thoughts?

11. Stev.R says:

Bob Mckenzie’s Draft Rankings:

1. Yakupov-Sarnia (wing)
    2. Grigorenko – Quebec (Big center)
    3. Murray – Everett (D)
    4. Forsberg – Sweden (Big Center)
    5. Dumba – Red Deer (Subban reincarnate)
    6. Trouba – US U-18 (D)
    7. Galchenyuk – Sarnia (injured all season)
    8. Reilly – Moose Jaw (injured all season)
    9. Reinhart – Edmonton (D)
    10. Faksa – Kitchener (could go higher) Center – 6’3” 203lbs

That is brutal news for Blunden, guy finally gets told to get the apartment in Mtl playing for the Big paycheques and he gets hurt. That just sucks. Best wishes for his rehab.

13. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Anyone know Emelin’s contract status?

14. Sean Bonjovi says:

@ Mike Boone: On Sunday the Canadiens broke a three game losing streak with a 3-0 shutout. Dressing the same seven defencemen seems pretty reasonable to me.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
    - Sean Bonjovi

15. habs001 says:

The decision on gomez either way will greatly influence the habs 2012-2013 lineup…

16. stevieray says:

Pacioretty have to answer the bell tonite for his Letang hit ????

17. habs17 says:

TSN FIX YOUR AUDIO!!!!!!!

I support Scott Gomez

18. FlyingFrenchie says:

cbc sports reporting…250 (boy) scouts and 15 (Indian) scouts at game tonight. Apparently the wagons have been circled.

19. Boomer says:

cool report by RDS on Holland (part of the cammy trade) looks like a solid 2way right winger, should be cool to see him, Gallagher, bournival, tinordi and beaulieu next year in Hamilton.

Boom baby!

20. ont fan says:

There probably won’t be a Canadian forward taken in the first 10 picks this year according to Bob Mac.

21. topher5468 says:

David Clarkson is a hell of a hockey player, What I wouldnt give to have him on our team

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

This is for all you dummies who think Tanking™ means throwing games. Tanking means finishing in the bottom of the standings. That is all. Nobody throws games.

I will say this for the 1000th time. The Habs need to be sellers and rebuild. Once the trade deadline rolls around they need to decide which players they want to build with and trade what they can for picks and/or prospects. Whenever a team faces the choice of trying to make the play-offs with out any real chance of making them or going any where in them should they luck in they need to cut their losses and move forward. The Habs have constantly regressed and mortgaged the future for the all in play every season. Their 16th place average since 1994 and in the past 10 years speaks for itself.

The whole Gomez interview is a classic example of a person being in denial. Gomez is part of the reason why the Habs are tanking. His lack of production, his useless puck possession skills leading to nothing, his high Fenwick/Corsi leading to nothing, are all part of the reason why the Habs are tanking. The other reason is that the Habs have never been sellers. They have led fans to believe that a mediocre team with crappy prospects will have chance if all the stars align and win the Cup.

It’s a question of knowing when to cut and run and when to make the bold moves that put a contender over the top. The Habs were a contender once since 1993. They didn’t make moves at the trade deadline, they made them over the summer, idiotic move trading away a 1st and 2nd for Tanguay. If they ever do something so retarded again when they could have waited for free agency to sign somebody it will be a sure sign that they still haven’t woken up to the reality of a salary cap world in a young man’s game.

The Habs are not making the play-offs this year. Moving up in the standings is a worse case scenario at this point.

23. harrow15 says:

Scott Gomez is going to score tonight, and it will be on the powerplay as a rebound.

You heard it here first.

Heads up, P.K.’s hip is coming.

24. topher5468 says:

Rangers vs devils, as soon as the puck drops, 2 immediate fights,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

25. Bozo McBozo says:

Habs games have become even less surprising than the ending of Titanic.

26. HabFab says:

TonyMarinaro; NHL Pro Scouts at Bell Centre tonite: (3) Pitts, (3) Edm, Cgy, Van, Pho, Tor, Nyr

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Habs are fools if they trade Moen. If they got a 2nd rounder in return I could maybe accept it but guys like him are exactly what the team is missing.

People are saying we have White to take his place, are they nuts?

We could use White, Moen and two or three other players of their makeup for our 3rd and 4th lines!!!

White alone is not close to enough!

WE HAVE NO GRINDERS/TOUGH GUYS!!!

HELLO!!!!!!!

• powdered toastmann says:

Exactly…I would not want to be either of these 2 if management thought the way some posters do…wait..come to think of it they do…i.e. all we need is White and Moen to counter the 7 or 8 Bruins that are at least as tough as, and also the majority being bigger than Moen and White. (who would back them up…Blunden?…no tanks) Not to mention all the border line rats/ cheapshotters who feel quite emboldened and brave considering all the back up strength they have on the team. (and would only be too glad to join in on the feeding frenzy.)

The Habs are light years away from having that luxury…it is a known fact that hockey players tend to play a little bigger/with more confidence when there is a contingent of guys on the team that can handle themselves in nasty situations.

27. ont fan says:

Bob Mckenzie was just asked..name 2 players that will be moved by trade deadline..Gill and Moen

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I wanted to keep Moen until I realised that Ryan White might be a suitable replacement for him.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      - Sean Bonjovi

28. Habitoba says:

Reading some of the draft talk, not sure if it was brought up but didn’t teams back in the day have exclusive rights to players within a certain radius of the team’s city? I remember hearing that, but i can’t remember if it’s true. Anybody know?

29. Bripro says:

Let’s hope team A shows up, boys and gouls.

Have a good game! Enjoy!

30. doug19 says:

This donkey franchise better start over now. I am talking of owners and management. Why? Two words Carey Price. It is assumed he will be signed long term. He as a UFA will have a pick of almost any team. Habs quite likely will be worse next year if they give away Moen,Pleks etc.
    They really won’t need an allstar goalie for say 3 years. If the Gaut doesn’t sign him soon I am very concerned!

31. kempie says:

So are we dressing more defencemen than forwards tonight? Pretty close I bet.

32. LafleurFan says:

Interesting facts about Carolina`s 2006 Stanley Cup:
    As the East`s 6th seed, they beat the Oilers, who were the West`s 8th seed. Montreal was the 3rd seed but Justin William`s took out Koivu and almost his eye. Staal, 3 years away from being 2nd overall, was not on the first line. Their forwards included Brindamour, Mark Recchi, Eric Cole, but also Kevyn Adams, Alan Ladd, Corey Stillman. Gerber struggled and Cam Ward was a hold your breath insertion. Aaron Ward and Frantisek Kaberle were core D-men.
    I won`t bother looking up the Oiler roster, only that Roloson played superbly.
    The road to a Stanley Cup are many routes. Boston lucked out in getting free agents Thomas and Chara (thanks to boneheads in Ottawa and Long Island).
    I don`t want the Habs to follow Burke`s strategy, which is what a lot of you are unwittingly advocating. The Rangers didn`t draft Gaborik or Richards and I`m going to look up how they got Lundqvist.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Trisomy 21 says:

Yes Carolina had a horseshoe up their ass. Look what they have to show for it now though, further proving they played above themselves. The thing about Boston is that despite a couple important pieces they picked up through free agency, they had some good draft picks and trades too.

I think it is possible to have a great team by picking in the middle of the pack, like you’re arguing. Phi is an example of this. But there are examples of teams doing well after obtaining top 5 picks, and there are even examples about teams doing well getting 25-30th pick. So I just roll my eyes when I hear people give examples of teams who did it right because I could spill out counter examples too.

My point is there’s no one way to build a Stanley cup team. Biggest factor is making smart moves with your assets. I am not settled on PG. He made a smart move by signing Cole, but Gorges could have signed earlier for cheaper, and this Markov thing is a fiasco. The next 2 weeks should be very telling indeed.

• HardHabits says:

Carolina was 4th over-all and 2nd in the East in 2005-2006. Montreal was 7th in the East. Get your facts straight.

33. FlyingFrenchie says:

This just in from the CBC (Carbuncle Broadcasting Corporation)
    Hab fan’s are refusing to (athletically) support Scott Gomez.

34. Propwash says:

Could you imagine your boss telling you “Alright boys, mail it in for the rest of the fiscal year, it looks like we’re not going to make the quota.”??

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I was once laid off, along with the entire floor of an office building(hooray 2009!) but they asked us to come in everyday for the next 3 weeks anyway…. so, yeah, I can imagine it. Most days we all stood around and chatted, took 2 hour lunches, hit the pub across the street at 3pm before shutting it down to go home (boss would pay, he still had a job).

A few times the boss would come up, put his hand on my shoulder and ask what I was working on. I would tell him my resume…. he would say good job.

Sounds like the same thing to me… their is no real job to do, but your still expected to put in your time.

• Propwash says:

In hockey, I don’t think you’d ever hear that though. Especially in an NHL team.

_____________________________
        Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• The Jackal says:

Exactly, telling your players: ‘Ok boys, stop trying because we want to finish low enough to get a high pick’ paints your team as a loser, a team that does not want to win, and word gets out… and then it will be even harder to get players to sign here – oh wait… that’s the team that doesn’t want to win…. yeah, luckily management is not a lot more competent than what some people portray them as.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I think there’s a bit more to it.
            Nobody enjoys losing, they play to win. I honestly can’t imagine a pro being like fuck it I want Nail Yakupov on my team. Think about back when you played sports, nobody wants to throw games.

Also the coach who throws that idea out there will be put in the hot seat in his future interviews if he ever gets one.

35. nellis13 says:

There ‘aint no shortage of mediocre backup goalies. Why would Chicago want ours?

36. habs178 says:

Chris I like the way u think when it comes to the draft.

37. Rickly33 says:

There is only one team I care about, don’t care what other teams do, unless it includes my habs and draft picks coming our way.

38. Eric37 says:

A team like Chicago needs goaltending. Why not offer up Budaj? Maybe for a 3rd rounder.

—————————————————-

To quote the great Carey Price: “Chill out.”

E.

39. Laramy87 says:

Oh man, whats the point in sending down Palushaj if we are not certain Moen would be ready. 10 forwards and 8 d, what the hell, that just makes no sense at all.

Another stupid move by management of this team this year

40. tbovs says:

Its funny, I don’t know how to approach the team anymore i.e. whether to support a rebuild or just a few people (dead weight). I want to make the playoffs so bad that I still have a little hope but my logical side keeps saying im stupid. If we rebuild i would love to see a complete rebuild by getting rid of whoever we need to to get our top 6 wingers we need. We have such an overload of centres on the team with Eller, Plecks, Gomez, LL, DD, Enqvist, Nokileinan. At least Gomez will be gone year with a buyout this summer (actually if this is the only move we make then i be happy). It seems to me that with eller breaking out and DD having great year … how do we distribute Ice time between Plecks and Eller because DD is the #1 centre. Its a shame to see Eller playing 3rd line and as well LL is gonna be the 3rd line centre sooner than later playing the learning role that Eller has been playing this year. So what do you do? Do you trade Plecks and whoever for 2 wingers to open up spots. Or do you trade Eller and whoever. I imagine its who you want to move forward with. Eller to me has more upside and is more dynamic offensively. But Pleks plays in all sit and is in the prime of his career. Its something the habs will have to address next year or this year but that would require forward thinking and PG’s form of forward thinking is figuring out what he is gonna eat next cause he’s starvin. Tofu isn’t holding the hunger back like it used too.

41. FlyingFrenchie says:

Just announced…Hab’s Charity Golf Tournament For Fired Coaches and Management. This year’s event will be held at Gopher’s Country Cub. Organizers are expecting the best turnout in years, with excellent public support.

42. habs17 says:

LETS TANK IT BOYS WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I support Scott Gomez

43. bellcentre hotdog says:

I hate seeing the Habs lose.

Knowing that there’s a potential high draft pick as a result of the losses only makes it tolerable.

44. HabFanSince72 says:

This was asked lower down. List of Montreal Canadiens Number one picks since the first draft in 1963:

1963 Garry Monahan (later traded for Pete Mahovlich)
    1968 Michel Plasse
    1969 Rejean Houle
    1971 Guy Lafleur
    1980 Doug Wickenheiser

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

45. ont fan says:

For all the tankers..just heard on the radio that Markov is planning on playing the last 15 games to see how the leg holds up.

46. habsmandes says:

I agree no tanking, play the best we can. We have to have pride, these players have pride, they respect and enjoy playing here because of the pride. Good players couldn’t handle working on this team if it doesn’t have pride. We do the best we can and get the best we can. It wouldn’t hurt to get that super decent pick, but it has to happen to us not us happen to it.
    It’s like Gomez said. Sure he’s in the doghouse, but I don’t and won’t believe it’s because he’s not trying. From what I’ve seen those who have difficulty during the year it’s because they’re hurt, or out of shape or sync because they were hurt. The team’s politics about not letting us know the players are hurt until after the end of the year makes the players look bad for nothing and we get on their case for nothing.
    I would like to see any one of us work hurt and see how we like it.

47. boonie says:

Hey Chris, looking for your learned opinion on this…

Considering the league tries to ensure parity by having some revenue sharing and by limiting NY Yankee-like spending with a hard cap, do you think the worst team(s) should enter a lottery for the best pick(s)?

In a way it’s like penalizing well managed clubs and rewarding poorly managed ones.  ”hey, Detroit, nice work building a perennially good team without crafty kovalchuk-esque deals, enjoy your lousy pick…”

In the context of fair play, wouldn’t it be fairer to randomize the entire first round (ok, i could live with some weighted benefit for non-playoff teams) and then have reverse order in even-numbered rounds, like a fantasy draft…

Just wondering… Thanks in advance.

• Chris says:

I despise the draft entirely. With a hard salary cap in place, I don’t think there remains a need for an entry draft. This is for two reasons:

1) I generally support people having some say in where they go to work.
      2) I hate that professional sports leagues reward managerial ineptitude.

Before the cap, the draft was one way of preventing rich franchises like Montreal, Detroit, Toronto and the NY Rangers from loading for bear (this is actually a closer representation of how Montreal won all those Cups in the 50′s, 60′s and 70′s…they were the organization that spent the most to find and sign young kids before any other teams could get their hands on them).

But with a hard limit on the number of contracts a team can carry, guaranteed contracts and a salary cap, I just don’t see the need for an entry draft.

Let the kids decide what they want to do…there is always a chance that a Crosby or Ovechkin opts to sign with a current contender for a lower salary to get a shot at the Cup, but other young stars are likely to sign for the biggest contracts or better opportunities at top-6 icetime and power play time, something that perhaps could be offered by teams further down in the standings. A kid like Crosby might sign with Montreal because it was the team he grew up cheering for. I just think it would add more excitement to the process and perhaps encourage tighter bonds between players and teams.

I know a lot of people find the draft exciting, but I think that team building would be a much more interesting exercise if the draft were actually removed.

• montreal ace says:

The wings have a few crafty deals, thats one of the reasons I dislike them.

• Bripro says:

The 14 teams not making the playoffs are entered in the draft lottery.
      A team cannot move up more than four spots or down one in draft selection.
      The only teams able to pick up (let’s say #1) Nail Yakupov would be the five lowest.
      So the Habs will, at this rate, finish 5th from the bottom, behind the Jackets, Oilers, Canes and Ducks (maybe Sabres).

48. tyshow84 says:

Well it seems like recently Mtl likes to trade for guys that meet one of the following requirements: quebec kids, guys who were drafted 1 spot behind or ahead of a picks (or at least close), ex teammates or friends of current players. Which is why I think some of these guys may be mentioned in trade talks.
    gill /moen
    Eric Tangradi Pitt – *played/friends with pk, drafted 1 spot ahead of him
    Beau Bennett Pitt
    Riley Sheahan Det
    Charlie Coyle Min
    Mark McNeill chi*
    Phillip Danault chi*

moen for a 3rd and
    Louis-Marc Aubry* Det
    Or
    Marek Tvrdon Det* plays with Gallager

Although I haven’t seen any of these guys play aside from Tangradi in the jrs….
    Thoughts on any of these guys

I also think chicago is the team that will get Gill

* guys I could see being the best fit or most likely

• tyshow84 says:

But I am just a guy sitting on the couch here guessing… no one really know what RC will do… But I think timmins has some say in trades, or at least his original diagnosis of players is taken into consideration.

Wow, nice analysis!
      I have no idea, but I like your homework!

• boonie says:

From what little I’ve seen of him, I like tangradi.

• Chris says:

I’d be a bit surprised if Detroit trades any prospects. They’ve got to start preparing for the reality that their core is about to explode. When players get into their mid 30′s, injuries start piling up and productivity generally declines.

At the start of next season, they’ve got an old core:

Lidstrom – 42
      Holmstrom – 39
      Bertuzzi – 37
      Datsyuk – 34
      Cleary – 33
      Stuart – 32
      Franzen – 32
      Zetterberg – 32
      Kronwall – 31

I can’t really see Pittsburgh going after Gill when they’ve got what might be the best and deepest blue line in hockey with

Letang, Martin, Michalek, Orpik, Engelland and Niskanen (extra D include Lovejoy, Despres and Picard)

Gill’s ONLY saving grace is that he is a great penalty killer. Pittsburgh’s penalty kill is already the third best in the NHL, despite dealing with injuries to defencemen all season.

Chicago is a possible destination as their penalty kill is terrible, but that is more a function of goaltending than defencemen (they’ve got Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, O’Donnell and Montador on the blue-line).

• tyshow84 says:

I can see DET trading someone, they are very deep in prospects.
        and they want to make a good push for Lidstroms (most likely) last season.
        I agree with pitt not really needing gill, I don’t see that bottom 3-5 being as reliable in playoffs as Gill.
        Chicago is the best place for Gill for sure, they have one of the worst pks, and after seabrook/ keith, it gets pretty thin, pretty fast. With Keith and Seabrook getting a little break.

• Chris says:

Detroit is deep in prospects, but not in can’t miss prospects. The reality for any team is that perhaps 30-50% of your prospects actually pan out. With so much turnover coming in the short-term, I can’t see Holland dealing prospects. I believe he’s already stated that their draft picks are not in play this season for the same reasons.

• Bripro says:

You’re right. That’s exactly what he said.
            As for Gill, there have been talks regarding the Black Hawks’
            lack of penalty kill abilities, and their interest in “someone like Gill”
            or so what reported by LeBrun on twitter two days ago.

49. Hobie Hansen says:

Regarding UFAs this summer. Since the crop of available players is the smallest it has been in a decade, what do people expect the team to do heading into next season?

If Moen and Kostitsyn move on, they won’t be replaced because there is nobody we can sign to replace them. So if fans are crying that we are small and can’t score now, what will they be saying next year when we lose our only grinder in Moen, when we should have 3 or 4 Moens on the Bottom lines and lose a regular 20-goal-scorer in Kostitsyn, who is also a fairly big body?

Just wondering how or if people think we can actually improve by losing those players next year or if they have conceded that next year will be a write off as well?

• Bripro says:

I hear you Hobie!
      I think the commentariat will be disappointed at the end of the year when Habs mgmt decide not to blow up the ship.
      There are a lot of “ifs” regarding the team, but the injury bug and panic moves by PG haven’t helped this team.
      IF we have a healthy team
      IF Markov comes back, etc. etc.
      I figure we have a talented team where misfortune and luck just haven’t gone their way this year.
      They’re 2nd or 3rd in man-games lost, including the quarterback.
      Take AK, Moen among others out of the picture, you’d better be ready to go fishing for more big bodies.
      I’d certainly like to see a #1 big centreman in the lineup, but doesn’t every team?

• tyshow84 says:

I think the idea is the kids step up and score somemore next year, and more kids or depth players are signed. but I would like to see Kostitsyn resigned….well actually I would like to see him traded at the deadline, then come back and sign with mtl lol….. and I can’t see Moen around next year, White seems like the replacement.

• habsmandes says:

At a tell it like it is. Everyone thinks we can get better like when we let Moore go and got Halpern (wasn’t an upgrade, was bucks).
      Unless the player vaults open up for free agency and we can exchange Moen straight up for Nash(ha) or Kostitsyn for Staal(ha ha)
      where we going.

50. piper says:

Why in hell did PG pass on Stewart on waivers.
    Maybe he’s hoping they’ll recall him and he can get him for half price. Sure would have liked to see him on our fourth line. Stewart, White, Blunden.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

If Stewart couldn’t cut it in Florida, Atlanta in past years or Carolina this year he can’t be all that good, could he?

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

Don’t forget the equation, Vladdy:
        Doesn’t play for Montreal = ‘Good’ to ‘Amazing’
        Plays for Montreal = ‘Useless’ to ‘A Bum’

I’m no math expert, but those don’t actually look like equations at all.

• piper says:

I think we could use his type for the fourth line and would be worth the risk.
        Back in his draft year i was hoping we’d pick him as he was touted as a power forward. A lot of power forwards are late bloomers.

• Malreg says:

The fact that no other team in the league thought he was worthwhile also says something about the player…

The Canadiens might also be at their contract limit at the moment. If they were, they wouldn’t be able to claim a player off waivers.

51. 123456 says:

to all the tankers – how does tanking make hte habs better? yes i see success after futility form the pens but what about all the other last place teams in the past decade – islanders, carolina, tampa, florida, all the suckiness out west…. there is just not a strong correlation. you have to get top picks and make the correct picks while future superstars are available.

• boonie says:

Go back to when we essentially had the top two picks every year and think about how we dominated. That’s how we can make it work.

• krob1000 says:

Nobody wants us to be perrenial tankers…next year we should be a playoff team again (we should have been this year but we aren’t make something of this lemon season…lemonade anyone?). It gives us an opportunity to make something out of assets we normally have to lose (Ufa’s), gives us a better pick and those picks we pick up can be used and converted to players next year when we are in a better position or een aft the draft..nobody said we have to use those picks ….

• derfab says:

Carolina and Tampa won Cups after good drafts.

They won one each.
        Hoo-freakin’-ray.

• Bill says:

I’d take one Cup right about now, personally!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twocents says:

The cake, Bill. The cake!

You can take that.

The Cup she’s a little occupies with others lately.

• avatar_58 says:

Are you serious? I’ll take one even if it means that’s all I see for the next 20 years. Welcome to the NHL friend, dynasty teams don’t exist anymore

Not me.
            Glorying in finishing in the bottom and then winning the Cup through a poorly-designed draft system would totally take the shine off the Cup for me. We’d only win it because we were gifted a pity-draft.
            That sucks, and I want no part in it.
            And I’ve seen us win two cups. It’s fun, but we didn’t do it that way.

• Chris says:

What was the bigger contribution to Tampa Bay winning the Stanley Cup?

Vincent Lecavalier was drafted #1 overall in 1998. Until their Stanley Cup victory in 2003-04, the Tampa Bay Lightning would finish:

1998-99: 30th overall
        1999-00: 29th overall
        2000-01: 29th overall
        2001-02: 26th overall
        2002-03: 18th overall

For four years, they pretty much did squat. When they finally did win the Stanley Cup in 2003-04, Lecavalier was perhaps their 4th best forward (behind Richards, St. Louis and Modin) in the playoffs.

Tampa Bay had a good draft in 1998, getting Lecavalier 1st overall and Richards in the 3rd round. But the keys to that Stanley Cup were more than just one lucky draft; they also had to sign some key players (St. Louis, Khabibulin, Andreychuk) and trade for some undistinguished players (Boyle) or good players that would become key players (Stillman, Prospal, Modin, Fedotenko).

There is no question that the Lecavalier pick was a big help…but I do wonder if the Lightning might have been contenders even without it. They had great goaltending and a solid team of contributors.

• Mattyleg says:

Nononono. I’ve made that point before, and I was wrong because nobody answered my post.
      Plus, the congratulations for floundering in the league cellar meant 1 cup for Pitt, 1 cup for Chi, None Cups for Wash…
      If you want to be terrible so that we can win one measly cup, it’s not a great payoff, from where I’m sitting.

• LafleurFan says:

Good point! Further to your point, would anyone bet on Edmonton winning the Cup in the next 5 years? Our best draftee is Carey, and as the 5th pick in 2005, he was chosen after Sid, Bobby Ryan (good player), Jack Johnson, and Benoit Pouliot. Only Sid and Carey are “franchise players.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• avatar_58 says:

Doesn’t hurt does it?

Hoping your team loses?
        That hurts pretty bad.

• avatar_58 says:

The team has already “lost”. They have zero hope of making the playoffs. That’s a fact. All that’s left this year is the order of the draft and who is re-signed / traded

• Mattyleg says:

Perhaps, but I won’t be one of ‘those’ people who cheer our losses.
            I’ll be the ones lamenting my affiliation with those who do.
            As I do with the boo-birds at the Bell.

• chilli says:

It all depends on the team in place. Edmonton has the best young line in hockey – yet they suck.

We would never get a player better than Nash – yet Columbus sucks.

We would never get a player better than Getzlaf/Perry yet Ducks suck.

Habs have a better nucleus in terms of where we would be in 3 years for a first round ‘potential star’ could really take us over the edge.

I have a hard time watching them and hoping they lose games – but I’m ok with it. I would like a top 4 pick. And to beat Toronto in that last game so they don’t make the playoffs.

Tre

52. Bripro says:

So many posters want the team to tank.
    I say play your heart out, and trade up three spots come draft time, and still get a decent selection.
    Ignore those reincarnated from the 1919 White Sox.

53. habsman-itoba says:

Just a quick question:

If game #82 comes down to a decision to

a.) win and keep the Laffs out of the playoffs
    or
    b.) lose and guarantee a top five pick in the draft

What would you pick?

54. krob1000 says:

Moen may be playing tonight …I thought he was out for longer than expected

• Bripro says:

He’s being showcased.

• krob1000 says:

Showcasing an injured guy seems a bit weird…nevermind this is the 2011-12 version….it all makes sense now. At least in Moen;s case they prepared us for the worst so anything looks better….with Markov they should have employyed the same philosophy…under-promise and over-deliver

• twocents says:

There’s talk he’s being shopped.

In a perfect world, I would keep him. But, if we can get a decent return, may as well let him fly the coop.

• krob1000 says:

I think he’ll get 2 million or more though and at a term of 2 -4 years…not sure he is worth that with our cap situation..if we had a ton of room it is a diff’t story. hard to say….White is as good as Moen of last season but this years Moen has been pretty darn good. I see Moen as White, a 2nd or 3rd rounder and 1.5 million in cap space as the real effect moving forward…all things considered he becomes pretty expendable as likable as he is.

• twocents says:

I agree, especially at those numbers, but I just mean if we didn’t have to worry about cap space he’s the type of player that would be nice to keep around. Nothing wrong with two of his type. Hell I’d take three and have a kick-ass forth line that can move up for short periods when needed.

• krob1000 says:

me too….I have no problem keeping him but I jsut don’t see it unless a lot of other things are happening. A 4th line with both White and Moen would definitely be ok by me. So much depends on waht management has decided to do with Gomez. IF we have to eat half his salary…no Moen, if we are ok with burying him, sure we can sign, moen and Ak and have cash to spend. What is going on with Markov? so many questions….and being Montreal we will not have any idea of what is up until after it is done…one thing I like about Burke is he is pretty clear about his objectives…the objectives themselves?that is another story but he is pretty hoenst about what he is up to most of the time

• Kooch7800 says:

this team can use his grit. Blunden is a brutal downgrade from Moen

• krob1000 says:

White isn’t and we can probably find a similar replacement for under a million. Add in the draft pick…kind of think he is on his way out of town sooner than later. I wouldn;t be disappointed either way but it makes too much sense to play him and with White healthy we’ll have 30 gamesto assess the difference between White and Moen and what we can do with the pick and the cap space.

• twocents says:

There’s no pick if we keep Moen for the next 30 games.

Now you have me confused.

• krob1000 says:

We’ll have White for the next 30 games…no Moen..and we’ll be able to see if White is able to fill Moen’s shoes…

• twocents says:

Ahhhh…. Bach!

• Kooch7800 says:

White isn’t you are correct but I would like to see what White and Moen could do together on a line. This team hasn’t had a real energy line in the last few years that can actually bang and crash. Probably since Lappierre and Latts were on the same line.

I think the decision will be made int he next week or so on what will happen. They won’t keep Moen after the deadline if they are not going to resign him. They need to build up some assests and we have a lot of spare parts..Nokawhatever, Kabby, Gill, Campoli

• Chris says:

I’m not sure I agree. Michael Blunden has been a pleasant surprise to me with his speed and willingness to hit. He’s not as veteran as Moen, so there is certainly some positional issues there, but I think he could be groomed into a nice checking line forward.

Moen is having a good year this season. But in his 4 previous full seasons, he has 16, 19, 16 and 8 points, respectively. I was VERY unimpressed with his compete level in his first two years in Montreal. I felt like he was one of the most guilty players on the team of mailing it in regularly.

• shiram says:

He is supposed to be an “after the warmup” decision.

55. twocents says:

@RGM, your point on the other thread wasn’t about average ice-time. To quote yourself, “…he is still a member of the team getting top minutes every night.”

Your implication is that Gomez’s lack of production hasn’t affected his ice-time. My putting up his ice-time for the last two games shows it has decreased. Even the game before those two he only got 11:20.

The point being that his lack of production is now affecting his ice-time. Which it should.

• RGM says:

2:00 of his 10:28 the other day was on the power play, more ice time with the man advantage than: Bourque, Eller, Kostitsyn, and Leblanc. Only a smidge under what Plekanec got. Even when the overall minutes are down he is still getting “top” or “prime” minutes at the expense of player who are demonstrably more likely to score goals than he is.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

56. Mattyleg says:

Looking forward to tonight’s game.
    Hopefully we’ll be able to make it click like we’ve shown we can do.
    It’s a bit late in the day for it, but I’m always up for a win. Makes these winter evenings that much warmer.

• Bripro says:

I’d like to be a fly in the corner of the tankers’ houses when the Habs are winning.
      I guarantee you their cheering (as they jump up, recompose themselves, look around to make certain that no one’s listening, and let out a yelp!).

Totally.
        You know, I bet they don’t even watch the games.
        It’s all purely theoretical for them, you see: picks, cap-space, top-sixes and d-pairings… it’s just a paper game, right?
        Nobody actually plays, do they?
        And why don’t my equations always work out??

• J_P says:

Listen, I am all for the habs finishing in the bottom 5 teams at the moment because that represents the best opportunity for future improvement. Not only would we would get a very solid player (the top 10 i believe is quite good this year), but we would come in to next season with much lower expectations, with nowhere to go but up. I think lowered expectations would do very well for the boys. A solid draft pick, more experience for our younger players, a hopefully healthy markov, lowered expectations…You never know, the habs could come right back next year, kind of like Philly did the year after they drafted JVR.

That being said, acknowledging that finishing in the bottom being the best thing for us, and cheering against the canadiens are two very different things. I was at the game on sunday, and I cheered when we scored, and was very happy to walk away with a win, but I dont mind when we lose anymore.

You dont have to tank, you just dont have to go out and try to improve your chances of winning either.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Oh, you are correct. I am not a hardcore “tanker” but I do feel there is more value in losing than winning at this point.

However, I still cheer. In fact, this way I get to cheer for everything. They score I cheer, they get scored on I give a little woot (excuse me)

I was really pulling for Carey and his Shutout on Sunday, though.

• shiram says:

I understand the logic in wanting the Habs to lose game to ensure a better pick, but it still does not feel right, every game, I want them to win.

Yes indeedy.
        HI/O is getting a pretty lonely place for folks like us who actually love the game and the team.
        Logic: Brutus. Emotion: Marc Antony.
        Who wins? Well, they both die, but Brutus dies first.
        So… what was the question?
        Oh yeah: Chocolate, please.

• GO HABS GO

I’m with ya Brother. It’s win win now. We see a win we’re entertained, we see a loss and it doesn’t matter.

Speaking about Carey Price and Team Canada, and I get this Priceless reply.

Yeah I know Price is so much superior to Lundqvist, Thomas, Rinne, Schneider, JS Giguere etc, so much so it aint even funny.

I haven’t giggled this much since the Kaberle trade day. Wanna see people jump off a bridge, go there.

CAREY CAREY CAREY
      10/10 FOR 2022

All Aboard!

OK of to the Telus Cup Meeting, see yall later.

Hockey is the Life!

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

57. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Things would have been different this year if:
    - Someone quarterbacked the powerplay (markov) and kept it in the top 5 as it was for the past 4/5 yrs.
    - If Price had stole some games as a number one is suppose to do.
    - If the management group was competant in addressing a professional club with day to day operations.

• Kooch7800 says:

missed some major keys man…

The shootout…This team is TERRIBLE in the shootout in the fact we can’t score

I disagree that Price is the problem. He is good but too blame him when a lot of the games lost are one goal games I think is a bit much. We have zero offense other than one line and our D likes to play in our own end way too much.

If we had Markov back this team should not be in its current position.

• J_P says:

Price wins us WAY more games than he loses for us. I dont know what team you’re watching. The habs are 18th in the league with 2.57 Goals/game, which works for teams who have all-star defenses. Unfortunately for us, our defense has an average age of under 25.

Is Price a world-beater this year? Not by any means, but if you’re depending on your goalie to steal every game, your team has serious issues way beyond goaltending.

• bleedhabs81 says:

The Sunday win could be chalked up to Price… he wasn’t terribly busy but he robbed a number of guys throughout the game.

It could have easily been 3-3 and then OT

58. Batalla says:

Why is everyone looking for wins? Forget it. And forget it on purpose! The chances of the Habs making the playoffs is slim to zero AT BEST. But the Habs are within striking distance of the bottom 3. Being in the bottom 3 provides a very real possibility at a first overall pick. And THAT is something to be excited about. Otherwise, it’s another middle-of-the-road finish and likewise draft choice.

So no more “Go Habs Go”. It should be “No Habs No”! But all wins against Toronto are acceptable and encouraged.

• twocents says:

Hey, is Bugs okay?

• Mattyleg says:

I just can’t do it, man.
      30+ years cheering for the Habs, and I’ve never once wanted them to lose.
      I love the game.
      The business side, and the NHL’s congratulatory gifting of top picks to bottom-feeders has always stuck in my craw, and it is something that I always prided myself on: maybe we hadn’t gone to the Cup Finals every year, but we also hadn’t taken the loser way out and sucked intentionally for picks.
      Now when I see Habs fans suggesting it, it makes me disappointed to be part of a group that would endorse such a thing.

59. joeybarrie says:

I thought it was a 7:30 game. Boone must be pretty eager for this playoff push.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

60. derfab says:

Obviously, and even though he wasn’t asked, the guy thinks he can still play. Give him Cole and Pacioretty, let the “brilliant” DD help someone else, and see what happens.

• Kooch7800 says:

I see what your getting at but for the record DD was on the third line last year and from the All star break on lead the team in points. The guy makes things happen

• martincurran55 says:

I must say, I am not a huge DD fan, but he is growing on me and he does go to the dirty areas. I hope he can continue his success. Him, Cole and Patches have some real good chemistry. Too bad we don’t have any other line to compliment them.

• derfab says:

That 3rd line duty included alot of Pacioretty and Kostitsyn. DD is a good little center, but fitting him in has lead to just as many problems as not. I don’t see how you build anything around the guy, nor do I see how you deprive your top center of your top wingers. Pleks and Gomez should be there ahead, even Eller if you are serious about developing him.

• Bripro says:

The problem is if you take DD away and put him with less-aggresive forwards (basically everyone else except Plexs and maybe Eller – two centremen), you don’t get the same output and he becomes more vulnerable.
      He’s good right where he is.

61. martincurran55 says:

Fail for Nail baby. Go Pens Go.

• Forum Dog says:

Boo to that.

I say get R. White back in this lineup ASAP. Even at 80% he has more will and determination that half the current roster. Given how long it has been since he played, I’m betting he goes at 110%.

• martincurran55 says:

I do like White. He is in Hamilton for a couple of games. Should be back up for the weekend. Look forward to seeing him play. Unfortunately, I still want my team to lose.
        I hate saying it but I really do believe this team needs a top 5 pick and we can get back to the playoffs next year.

• Forum Dog says:

I get that. I just don’t think that a lottery pick is necessarily the answer to Montreal’s problems, especially when most of the top draft eligible are either D-men or Russian. Obviously a top pick would help in the long run, but the team already has a lot of good young players and really just needs some more jam, especially at D, centre and/or the bottom 6.

I still think they are better than they’ve shown this year, and a return to the playoffs next year is possible even if they end up with only a mid round pick. And while you say you want them to lose, I’m betting that if they pull one out tonight you won’t feel too bad about it…

• martincurran55 says:

I know. I wanted them to lose against the Jets the other day too, but watching Emelin pot one, I couldn’t help jumping off the couch to cheer for him. I agree that our team has some good young players, but we don’t have any GREAT young players. That is a big difference in us scraping into the playoffs every year, and contending. I think a Grigorenko or Yakupov could be that difference maker for us. I am taking a lot of heat on this site for going against the habs, but I truly believe that is the route we have to go.

Said it before:
      Way to support your team.

• martincurran55 says:

Said it before, Shut Up

• shiram says:

Oh I did not know it was kindergarten day on HIO…

Haha!
            I just have a tough time with people who cheer against their team.
            People who tell others to shut up… that’s something else.

• martincurran55 says:

Sorry I hurt your feeling guys.

• Mattyleg says:

You didn’t hurt my feelings, Martin.
            You just failed to observe proper online etiquette and politesse.
            Telling people to shut up on an open-format discussion page is not only rude, but inherently pointless, and only makes you look (perhaps accurately, I don’t know) boorish and uneducated.
            Just a heads-up for the future!

• martincurran55 says:

So now I am uneducated because I told you to shut up for not considering me a fan. I like how people like you can run your mouth on these forms with no accountability. Anyhow, I guess an Engineering Degree is UNEDUCATED. Nice to know guy.

• Mattyleg says:

I never said you were uneducated.
            I have no idea of your educational acheivements (but congratulations on your degree), so I wouldn’t bother guessing.
            What I said (which you’ll get if you read my post again) is that comments like that make you look uneducated and boorish. Not actually be.
            You didn’t qualify your ‘shut up’ (which is difficult to qualify to begin with) as being a reference to your fan-dom. If you had suggested as such beforehand, we could have had a discussion about it. That’s what this is all about, isn’t it?
            ‘Shut up’ isn’t a very good discussion starter. It’s actually kind of a discussion ender.
            And who are “people like me” supposed to be accountable to? I’m never rude or insulting. It’s those people that should be (and are) held accountable.

• Bill says:

People post here in a friendly way, and coming on and telling people to shut-up is plain rude. Now you’re acting like it’s everyone else who is being a jerk?

Full Breezer 4 Life

62. Psycho29 says:

Just throwing this out there….be gentle with your torches and pitchforks!

What about Blair MacKasey as Habs’ GM?
    He’s currently Director of Scouting for the Wild, ran the Canadian World Junior team that won gold in Vancouver 2006….
    Played junior hockey in Montreal, and resides in Montreal year round. Not Vermont ;-)
    I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure he’s bilingual…

Discuss among yourselves!

• Bripro says:

He’s a west Islander.
      That’s actually not a bad idea…something I should have thought of, dammit!
      Seriously, he assisted Wayne Gretzky in player selection during the 2006 Olympics.
      I’ve met him. I’m surprised he’s my age because he looked a lot older.
      But a very wise and composed man. I didn’t realize how much experience he had at the World Junior and QMJ levels.
      I didn’t talk to him in french so I don’t know if he’s bilingual.

• Psycho29 says:

Actually, my best friend’s son is going out with his daughter.
        I’m pretty sure he’s lived here since his playing days. Just proves there are probably other candidates who we haven’t thought of.
        I’ll ask my buddy about the language issue…..

• 24moreCups says:

Never thought of him before(I admit I don’t know all that much of him), I think he’s worth looking into.

63. DorvalTony says:

I like Anthony Stewart and can’t help but imagine him crashing on a line with Ryan White. Reclamation project maybe but 6’3″ 230# and young enough to still have a moderate upside. Third or fourth line grit and our missing heavyweight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng73Ev-eJAI

• ffenliv says:

I completely agree. According to cap geek, his hit is only 900,000k. Realistically, next year is not going to be a complete, cup-winning turnaround, and for 900k, you probably can’t go wrong on a guy. You spend less than a million bucks test-driving him for a year, and it’s likely in a year where you’ll have less cap pressure – barring crazy contract situations with people like Price.

• Mattyleg says:

Remeber when you posted this on the previous thread and everyone said it wasn’t worth it, and that he’d already cleared waivers?

I do.

• martincurran55 says:

I always liked Stewart. He is the definition of a 4th line player. I’d rather see him there than Darche, thats for damn sure.

• Bripro says:

Don’t forget that we’ve got Nokie coming back from injury, and the way Palujay played the other night, it won’t be long before he, LL an Nokie will be the 4th line. We don’t need another team’s left overs anymore.
        I’d like to see the team build from within, with a smart GM who knows how to select.

• 24moreCups says:

I don’t like having LL and Palush playing the 4th line, I’d rather have someone like Stewart who is big, strong and can fight and pot in a goal every once and a while.

Having White, Blunden and Stewart would make a good 4th line.

• Bripro says:

There are two coaches and GMs within the last year who’ve thought otherwise, and none of the 29 teams picked him up.
            I don’t see why goat should be anymore of a goat.
            Sorry but I’m not with you on this one.

64. joeybarrie says:

Funny how our terrible contracts and useless players are good enough to make another team win The Cup.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Les Canayens says:

And how those who were top tier players elsewhere come here and ended up underperforming. (exception being Cole for now)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
      ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

• RGM says:

Funny how these players were much younger then and not expected to be the primary contributors on those Cup-winning teams.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• joeybarrie says:

I was talking about the comments on trading them to a team THIS season to help them win the Cup.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

65. PeterD says:

I was looking at the CapGeek numbers for available Cap at the deadline for some of the potential “buying Teams” like;
    LA – $3.6 Mil
    San Jose – $11.6 Mil
    Chicago – $23.8 Mil
    Detroit – $24.6 Mil
    Florida – $42.8 Mil
    St. Louis – $46.3 Mil
    Nashville – $66.8 Mil

These are INSANE numbers for teams like Nashville and St. Louis to be able to make some depth moves at the deadline to bolster their.
    Now here’s a very real scenario for Mr. Gauthier to deal with…
    If a team like St. Louis or Nashville or even San Jose want to pick up some of our UFA’s for depth then Gauthier should tie Gomez and or Kaberle to the deal as well as a mandatory piece of the deal.
    My point is that these teams have the Cap Space remaining this year to absorb these contracts and it does not matter about next year for them. The buying team simply dumps the contract and play to the AHL for next season.
    But it also gives Gauthier a graceful way of unloading these albatross contracts while preserving a bit og dignity for these players..and who knows guys like Gomez and Kaberle could help a team jump to the Cup Final.

Look, Chicago or San Jose,St. Louis or Nashville could really benefit from a Gill and a Moen in their final drive…so why not tie Gomez and Kaberle to any deal …they have the available Cap for the rest of the season to absorb him and I think they have the history of dumping bad contracts in the past.

• JayK-47 says:

The only people to fall for a trade like that are BG and PG.

If PG can pull a Gomez swap like that though, My opinion (like he cares) would go from ‘I almost approve’ to ‘Best. GM. EVER.’

• G-Man says:

Those numbers have to be off. How can Nashville have more space than the cap?

• Bripro says:

Clarification:
        Capgeek states the following:
        “Since teams are only responsible for the remaining cap hit on an acquired contract (the cap amount owing for the final 40 days rather than the full 185-day value), teams operating under the cap can take on contracts of increasing value as the trade deadline approaches.

if a team is listed with $10 million today and $25 million at the deadline, it could acquire Alexander Ovechkin’s $9.538-million cap hit today and not much more. But if it waited until the trade deadline, it could acquire Ovechkin, as well as Alexandre Semin ($6.7 million cap hit), Nicklas Backstrom ($6.7 million) and Mike Knuble ($2 million), because the sum of those annualized cap hits ($24.938 million) is less than $25 million.”

That makes more sense.

• Bripro says:

I’m trying to understand your numbers.
      Maybe it’s me (long day, and it’s only half over), but how can Nashville have more cap space available than the ceiling?
      The cap floor is $48.3MM and the ceiling is $64.3MM.
      It makes no sense to me.

• joeybarrie says:

Nashville has 31.5 mil in space.
      Detroit has 24 mil.
      and I’m not going to look the others up.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• vivsterjuve88 says:

Just a heads up, as far as I know not toooo many GMs believe the world will end in december 2012, and so they’re not going to completely obliterate their team just for a CHANCE to win this year. You don’t win one stanley cup and hang up the whole franchise’s skates.
      Obviously they’re more likely to sell youth and picks for guys with a limited shelf-life but they’re not going to take on the 7.3mill cap-hit for gomez for another couple years just to get the opportunity to add a kost/moen/gill for the offseason, that’s ridiculous. And they’re not going to send him to the AHL and pay his salary either because believe it or not, teams like florida, nashville, or st. louis haven’t collected all that cap space because their GMs couldn’t imagine adding more talent; it’s because they can’t afford to spend more! Self-mandated salary caps need to be factored in

66. Le Jadester says:

C’mon AK !
    Gotta get into the Habs “100″ Club tonight !

At least before you get traded.

Hopefully not for me, I’m a big fan even though he drives me sometimes.

@ Sean Bonjovi
    Why do you think he’ll get traded before the deadline ?

Habs, OLE !

67. Le Jadester says:

The official site says the game starts at 7:30 PM ?

Here it says the puck drops at 7:10ish ?

What is it ?

Kinda makes a difference when there’s midgets to put to bed.

Habs, OLE !

68. PeterD says:

Love Hal Gill…have you noticed he is one of the only players on the Habs that actually sings the Canadian National Anthem even the French parts during the pre-game anthems.
    What a great team guy. It really is a shame he is near the end opf his career and there is no room for him in next seasons line-up.
    Maybe he could act as a player/coach or just the PK coach – Double meaning there…(penalty kill and Subban Coach).
    Gill really is one of the good guys that gives everything he has every night even if he is slowing and being overtaken by the youth of hte team…but alas time waits for no one and our young guys like PK SUbban, Emelin, Jorges, Diaz need to play and we will likely need to make room for a prospect coming up next season.
    However, if we could get rid of Kaberle and make room for Markov we might still have space for Gill in a limited player cpaching roll for guys like Tinordi, Ellis potentially making a jump next year.

• Sportfan says:

I would be great we trade Gill for something decent let him possibly win a cup then re sign him for next season for something just to help the team I like Gill a lot and remember being very happy when we first signed him

• arcosenate says:

Hal Gill is exactly what the Blackhawks are looking for, they need help on their PK big time, who could we get I wonder?

• Les Canayens says:

Wait you mean Chicago also has a defenceman named PK who needs veteran mentoring? Which of the PKs is the parallel universe evil PK?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• ffenliv says:

I’m thinking Gill + Gomez + Kaberle for Toewes and Kane. Seems fair?

Chicago gets a somewhat-serviceable aging PK-palying d-man, and two useless contracts. In return, Montreal gets two of the game’s best young players, both with a cup and plenty of playoff experience.

69. H.Upmann says:

Hafta agree with SmartDog over on Gomez thread.. PG was absolutely instrumental in the Gomez trade (and I personally suspect that BG was relieved of his duties by that point, but had to stay on until the storm blew over).. and though who knows what French speaking GM is going to replace him next, it’s definately alarming that he’s still leading this mess.

• bleedhabs81 says:

hmmm, 8 months is a long time to remain as a figure head.

BG fact (unchecked – source wikipedia) – played 1 game in 1971 for the Petes and managed 31 PIM.

70. SPATS says:

they’ve tried everything else this year except this… Subban on RW!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

71. G-Man says:

If the Habs only dress 10 forwards, somebody please shoot RC for me. People keep trying to defend him, but his results speak loud and clear. They say he hasn’t a clue.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

He is only defended by the ones who couldn´t stand Jacques Martin I reckon. I also wasn´t a fan of him but I think we´ve replaced a mediocre head coach with a bad one. Especially his rotation on D doesn´t make much sense.

Now would also be the time to try a couple of things like giving Eller PP time and sending him out with two decent wingers or letting Emelin play on the PP and I also would like to see what DD could do with lesser wingers…

72. Letang’s got a funny way of warming up. http://wp.me/p1UX3s-JM

73. NafSbah says:

Only dressing 10 forwards?!?

Maybe they started charging subs, like in my beer league.

Can’t wait to see the 4th line of Gomer centering Campoli and Gill

74. flowerpower_74 says:

Don’t let them get the sweep!

GO HABS GO!!!

Team Defence wins Championships…

75. shiram says:

He cleared waivers.

76. Boomer says:

apparently he cleared waivers, read it on another thread but that guy could be wrong

Boom baby!

77. Bripro says:

Shiram, he’s saying you could be wrong…. :)

78. shiram says:

I could be that guy from the other thread.
    But that guy from the other thread was definately right.

79. Bripro says:

LOL…so I’m told.

Happy Birthday Cannabians, hope your daughter has a great night.