Liveblog: Olympic Games, semifinal: Canada 1, U.S. 0

Canada is going to the gold-medal game at the Sochi Olympics.

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price made 31 saves to shut out Team USA 1-0 in Friday’s semifinals as Team Canada advanced to Sunday’s gold-medal game against Sweden. Jamie Benn scored the goal for Canada in the second period. Canada had 37 shots on goal during the game.

Sweden beat Finland 2-1 in Friday’s other semifinal game.

Sunday’s gold-medal game will start at 7 a.m. ET.

HI/O’s Mike Boone was blogging live along with other Postmedia News writers during the Canada-U.S. game. You can read the live blog by clicking here. Boone will be blogging live again during Sunday’s gold-medal game and you can get the link on HI/O early Sunday morning.

Team Canada coach Mike Babcock didn’t make any changes to his lineup for Friday’s semifinal game, meaning Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban was a healthy scratch again. Other than Matt Duchene replacing the injured John Tavares, the lineup remained the same as it was for Canada’s quarter-final victory over Latvia.

Here’s how the lineup looked for Team Canada against the U.S.:

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

SCRATCHES
John Tavares (injured) – P.K. Subban – Mike Smith

(Photo by Jean Levac/Postmedia News)

Carey Price has been golden for Canada, by Mike Boone

Canada vs. U.S. live blog with Mike Boone, Postmedia News

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1,537 Comments

1. JT says:

As long as I can remember Refs from different countries have been doing it in the NHL. Peter is just trying to sway the thinking.He never complained when He was on a cup winning team.Go Canada go

2. B says:

Final score is Rochester 3 Dumont 2, Dogs drop their 4th in a row.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. Steven says:

Why is it that no one’s sniffed up Lauris Darzins of Latvia?

The guy had 4 goals and 5 points in 5 games on what was honestly an unimpressive Latvia team offensively. He’s 6’3″, roughly 200 pounds and isn’t 30 yet. Surely he’s worth a look, no?

4. mrhabby says:

52b gets Russia to top of the medal podium…Congrats to Putin and the Russian people..i really enjoy the Olympics unreal athletes, great venues and love the 2 week break from the slog of the NHL.

5. B says:

The struggling Dogs are down 2-1 to Rochester after 2. The Americans 1st goal was at 4 on 4 and their 2nd on a PP. Dumont scored a PP goal with 1:53 left in the 2nd to make it a one goal game.

Nevins scores his 17th in his first game back after serving his 4 game suspension. Rouyn-Noranda up 5-0 over Acadie-Bathurst near the end of the 2nd.

–Go Habs Go!–

6. habs001 says:

Hi CJ cant reply at your location..I believe the American Victor Wild was on the USA team before but was very unhappy with funding cuts..He married a Russian in 2011 and became a Russian citizen..He won 2 gold for Russia but is a dual citizen..

7. UKRAINIANhab says:

Syracuse strugglin! When does Football season start!! : (

• CJ says:

Imagine Syracuse on the road against a top five football team? Yikes! I also took a quick look. The football team is 30 games below .500 since 2002. That’s the worst record over any similar time frame in school history. If that’s not dry, lean or whatever, I’m not sure what is…

I know you mentioned that you are an alumni, but the numbers simply don’t lie.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

…your not a syracuse fan. I love your posts man. But you do not watch the football games and have not seen the improvement since G rob was the coach. I do not think you know Syracuse football,

I still envy you CJ. Lol

• CJ says:

What! Greg Robinson is no longer the coach. He was brutal. His record was like 10-37. Doug Marone was 25-25, which is average, but not good.

I’m 35 and don’t pretend to know more about a subject then a gentlemen I haven’t met, but I’m confident in saying I know quite a bit.

I envy you. Anyone who can afford the tuition at a private US school as a non resident is very well to do, or athletically gifted. Good on you.

No hard feelings my friend, but I know more about Syracuse football then what you think.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Doug Marrones record is actually preety underated because of what He who must not be named! (GROB) did. It also got him a spot as head coach of the Bills. Im not making an argument saying that the team is ready for the National championship, but Scott Shafer has the program moving in the right direction!

I apoligize, I did not mean to come out to harsh! We can talk Syracuse Football/Basketball anytime! Just a little sensitive as I was have been a season ticket holder for a while. Cheers.

• CJ says:

Marone should have stayed in Syracuse. When he gets fired, and I promise he will, he will wish he didn’t jump at the quick dollar before he was ready, because he won’t get a second chance.

It’s all relative of course. Doctor’s in the practice my mother works within have season tickets. We are upset because we remember 1987-2001. The move to the ACC will help build their profile, and by extension, improve recruiting. The truth is things are pretty bad. They don’t even win the recruitment battle within their own state. Given their location, climate and facilities, they will never be a prenial power, but it would be nice to be more competitive. Based on results against Florida St and Clemson this year, that’s still a ways away. You can’t do much when you pull in the 60th best recruiting class, so no sense getting too worked up about results.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

The same can be said about the other 100000 college programs that will never be a contender. We have an extremely underated recruiting class. Stars mean very little. Chandler Jones was a 1 star recruit on most recruiting sites and look where he is now. Scott Shafer is a great coach and with the team next year we have it is not out of question to come 2nd in the atlantic behind Florida State. “Things are preety bad” maybe definitely true a few years ago but you are ignoring the fact that Doug completely turned the ship in the right direction, and Scott will keep that momentum!

• CJ says:

I defer to you. I will be very happy if what you say comes to fruition. Cheers, CJ

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Cheers Cj

• CJ says:

I hope you can make nex year’s HIO summit. First rounds on me!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

You bet ! :)

• CJ says:

Brutal call! Unreal way to end this game.

• 123456 says:

WOW what a horrible call against Syracuse that was

8. Vito says:

I don’t usually repost stuff like this, but since it features Phil Kessel and indirectly the Laffs, I will post this funny pic:

9. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Latvian hockey player, Pavlovs’ Freudian Slip:

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

• Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

How can you throw him out AFTER he’s done competing? What’s the point? Just so he can’t take part in the closing ceremony?

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just read the Bulldogs played the Senators at the Bell Centre the other night …losing 4 to 1

…did anyone here see the game ?

…is Your opinion similar to mine after I watched Their 6-0 drubbing in Abbotsford against the Heat (Calgary Flames’ farm team) ?

…I saw in the Bulldogs a grey, virtually talentless (excepting Tinordi & Pateryn) and uninspiring Team coached by a grey uninspiring (Lefevre) Coach

11. habs001 says:

I agree with Forsberg..there is no way you can have refs that are the same nationality as one of the finalist..Imagine the soccer world cup having refs that are the same nationality as one of the finalist…It looks bad..a no win for Canada…Canada allready has had the fewest pp chances by a wide marging in the tournament..if Canada wins i am sure Sweden will hint biased refs…

12. habs001 says:

Wait for mistakes….play defensive..get outplayed in most games..out chanced and domininated in the D zone…May be Latvia or Norway…But also a certain NHL team that we follow…Does work as more wins than loses but does it eventually catch up in the playoffs…

13. jols says:

I enjoyed the Olympics and am looking forward to the big game tomorrow. But, I’m happy it’s ending. I miss watching my Habs and NHL hockey in general. Super excited that Galchenyuk is back and fully healthy. I missed watching him play too.

• Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Yes, it was a nice break and actually cheering for players that we wouldn’t during the NHL schedule. One can’t help but appreciate the level of skill brought out during the short Olympic hockey schedule.

Olympics is fun every 4 years but my true allegiance is with seeing the Habs once again one day hoist the cup.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

• CJ says:

Agree with you both. Can’t wait to resume Habs talk. Trade deadline around the corner. Next ten games will shape our season. Boys better be ready to play.

14. B says:

Grégoire scores his 30th and Hudon adds an assist as Baie-Comeau beats Victoriaville 5-4 after a shoot out. Hudon failed to score in the shoot out and Grégoire, the games 2nd star, was not selected for it.

–Go Habs Go!–

15. CJ says:

Number 1 Syracuse vs Number 5 Duke on ESPN, or TSN2. Go Orange!

16. Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

So Fosberg is whining about the refs. Excellent. This ain’t figure skating. I don’t see a ref sabotaging the game to favour his country – especially when we’re talking NHLers on both sides of the ledger. Just getting competent officiating is a bonus. Just ask the girls.

I can’t wait for this match up. I want Toews, Marleau and co to completely shutdown Karlsson and bury the Swedes early. Let’s go Canada!

Canada 3 – Sweden 2.

18. UKRAINIANhab says:

Sweden will play like a Serie A (italian league) football team or as you good people call it soccer! They will defend like crazy and wait for the time to pounce on a turnover or mistake. I think it will be a low scoring game, call it 2-1 with Sharp and Kunitz scoring.

19. Cal says:

Regardless of how the game ends tomorrow, Canada has collected 25 medals this Olympics. That’s a pretty amazing total, considering how many the Netherlands won for skating and all.
    I am glad the Olympics are ending. Wednesday, we welcome back the Habs and Detroit. I can’t wait to see PK play in that one.

• CJ says:

It’s a shame Putin has placed so much emphasis on hockey gold. The Russians have had an extremely successful Olympics overall. 11 golds, which ties for first and 29 medals overall which is first alone.

Sure, a hockey gold medal would have been the crowning achievement, but the bigger picture has been a tale of success athletically speaking.

• habs001 says:

5 gold medals from an American and Korean who became Russian…

• CJ says:

Sorry I missed that. Do they not count?

• habs001 says:

They do count but these were top athletes before they became Russian..I know other countries have done this…I wonder if there are some Dutch speed skaters who are interested in Canadian citizenship…

• CJ says:

I don’t follow the Olympics closely, hockey aside. Are these athletes recruited, or lured by the host nations?

I see what you’re saying. Much different then say Milos Raonic, who was born in Yugoslavia, but grew up in Canada.

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…anyOne here feel the same as Me that winning the US Canada game was the real Gold Medal game in these Olympics ?

…I hope Our players don’t feel like We do

• CJ says:

Yes, I feel/felt that way. They are the two best countries, based entirely on play, at these Olympics.

• JUST ME says:

Definitely. That`s the risk heading to tomorrow`s game but the guys seemed pretty focused and apparently nobody really did celebrate in the dressong room after the game yesterday cause they know that their goal is not reached yet.

I guess that if for many it`s gold or bust then it must be the same thing for team Canada.

21. Gerry H says:

All I know is this thing better not go into overtime. I have a game at ten. I’m already resigned to watching the final period in the dressing room on my iPhone, which, atmospherically at least, might not be such a bad thing.

22. PsyCONADIAN29 says:

In reply to the poster last night who asked about pubs/bars showing tomorrow’s game in the Montreal area, Ye Old Orchard and Hurley’s have both confirmed they will be open…
    I’m sure there are others like Champs sports bar (3956 Saint-Laurent Boul)……

23. DoopsyDiddler says:

My little comment about the Olympics being in essence about advertising unhealthy lifestyles courtesy of McDonalds and Coke got deleted, but numerous insults towards our American friends remain untouched.

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

…flag-bearer, closing ceremonies …someOne down below had a fantastic suggestion …Gil Junio, the speed-skater whom gave-up His spot to allow Denny Morrison to skate for Silver

…wish I had been the first to think of it :)

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the U.S. like Canada feels Gold is the ONLY colour they rate …and, You got to admit the Yanks are coming on like gang-busters in hockey talent

…Canada luckily finally got-it right in putting together a harmonious representative collection of talent to represent Us, but the Yanks are breathing down Our necks like a train in the night

…I remember not so long ago going into a bridesmaid game against some second tier team at the Olympics with the consolation prize of bronze on the line, and We not showing up, losing bad

…so before laughing at the Yanks, remember We’ve been there Ourselves

• JUST ME says:

I do not give any credit to the U.S.A. are coming on reason for being respectful . Not that we should not be respectful but the U.S.A. are not Latvia and when they get to the top they say they belong there but when they lose are coming on nicely ??? They lost and were not up to par at least the coaching staff that were not ready for Canada and Finland. Excuses are for losers . U.S.A. should have known better.
      We are not laughing, we beat them fair and square.

• CJ says:

It’s only the thinnest of margins that separate our top 25 players from their top 25 players. Where the divide becomes more pronounced is player 26-50. A second team Canada would be substantially better then the USA B team. This same theory goes for any country in the world. Our team B would be substantially better then other countries team B.

Lastly, the divide becomes a major difference when you start comparing players 51-100. Canada vs the world.

This email is not meant to be disrespectful. I’m simply offering an opinion, which is exclusive to me.

As a kid, growing up in a border town in eastern ontario, we played a lot of hockey in the US. As young guys (8 years old), we would win gams 12-0. As we got older, the scores got closer. At 16, we were basically equal. There has been a significant grass roots movement to grow the game, which has helped tremendously. Unfortunately, the same underlying issue prevails in both countries – cost. It’s becoming a game for the rich and privileged.

Again, just my two cents…,

26. Cal says:

The American-Finland game seemed to be decided in the 11 second sequence when the Finns potted 2 quick goals.
    In North America, the team that loses a shot at a championship of any kind goes home. This game for 3rd place is outside the realm of experience for pretty much the whole team. Their aim was to win gold, not to win the consolation game.
    They were 2 shots away from the big game versus Canada, yet many here say it was a dominant Canadian victory. Let’s see what Sumo Lundqvist has to say tomorrow morning. That is going to be another tight boring game. Just like some here like it.

27. UKRAINIANhab says:

In other news Viktor Yanukovytch president of ukraine has been relived of his powers. Huge day for the people of Ukraine!

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

“I hope Sweden wins, cause I don’t think Hammer (Dan Hamhuis) is going to play, judging by what’s happened. I don’t think Lui (Roberto Luongo) is going to play. So, I don’t give a s— about (Canada) right now because they’re not playing. I just want them back here,” said Tortorella.

CANUCKS’ TORTORELLA CHEERING FOR SWEDEN IN GOLD MEDAL GAME: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444459

-Tortorella, born in Boston, Mass., said most of all he hopes the result helps his team when his players return.

“I hope Daniel (Sedin) scores two, (Alex) Edler gets three assists and Sweden wins. So they come back feeling good about themselves because it’s going to help us. That’s all I’m concerned about right now. The Vancouver Canucks.”

29. Colombiahabs says:

USA.. 2 words… HA, HA!!

30. JF says:

As in most international tournaments, the Canadian team has been taking too many penalties – four yesterday as against two for the Americans. We’ve given up only one powerplay goal so far, but we’d better be more disciplined tomorrow. Erik Karlsson scores on Price just about every time we play the Senators.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Swedens PP is lethal.

• CJ says:

No country, thus far, has forced Karlsson to defend. No denying his offensive prowess. He is a modern day Paul Coffey, offensively. If you back in and allow him to gain entry into the offensive zone, uncontested, of course he can hurt you.

Tomorrow, if team Canada forces him to defend by throwing the puck in his corner and pressuring him, taking away lanes in the process, you will see the Dr. Jeckyl to his Mr. Hyde. You will see the player the Rangers held to a single point in a seven game series (a goal on King herik from the corner, deflected in off a defenders skate) and who was on for both goals against in the pivotal game seven.

Sweden will try to active it’s defence, however Canada can negate this by forcing Karlsson to play away from the puck. He will not be able to handle a sustained cycle and will be forced to press if playing from behind. This will be when team Canada has an opportunity to blow the score open.

Canada 3-1.

• JF says:

Totally agree about Karlsson. He has a lethal shot, but defensively he’s a liability. I watch a lot of Senators games on TVA; the guys there rave about Karlsson and his offensive prowess, saying he’s a game-breaker – which is true, but he often breaks the game in the wrong direction by turning over the puck.

Team Canada still needs to be disciplined. The Swedes have a couple of other defencemen with great point shots, Kronwall for one. And unlike the Americans, the Swedish defence likes to jump into the rush.

• CJ says:

Great points. Yes, the Swedes will activate their defence. They need to take chances to beat Canada. IMO, it will be their undoing. Karlsson is terrific, but there aren’t many players, in the entire NHL, who struggle the way he does defensively.

Last word on Karlsson, I think he is the perfect example of the reason why a trophy needs to be created to recognize offensive defencemen. IMO, he is not the overall best defencemen, but boy is he gifted offensively.

• JF says:

Agree that there should be a separate trophy for offensive defencemen. It annoys me that the Norris just about always goes to the defenceman who has the most points, independently of his defensive play.

I agree JF. Cheers, CJ

• tophab says:

he is a minus player.

• CJ says:

I agree with Chris, sorry, I think it was Chris, who said that minus 10 to plus 10, was not always an indication of strong or weak defensive play. Too many variables. However, when you get below that number, such as Karlsson has (-14), then you start to see a clearer picture emerge.

In the case of Karlsson, it is very telling, especially with the number of points he puts up outside of the PP. His offence, comes at the expense of his defence. IMO, that’s the long and short of it.

The really great players, they generate offense, while also being responsible defensively. Just my two cents….

31. CJ says:

If I could shift gears for a moment, I wanted to quickly chime in on the subject of scouting.

Sitting in the arena last night, I pondered just how difficult it must be to perform the role of scout. Even the best in the business get it right less then 50 percent of the time. Although first round draft position strengthens the chance of landing a top tier talent, there are no guarantees. Why does a guy like Brian Lee (top ten overall pick) fail, while Brian Rafalski (undrafted) succeed?

IMO, what makes this profession so difficult is that you are trying to identify who is going to be the best professional and not who is currently the best player. Sometimes there is a correlation. Tavares has managed to continue to elevate his play, seemingly getting better every year. However sometimes the development abruptly stops. Noteworthy is a guy like the 67’s Brenden Bell, former CHL defencemen of the year.

I guess what I’m trying to get at is, sitting in the rink last night, not only would I need to figure out who is the best player on the ice, which is a fairly straight forward exercise, but I would need to anticipate who will be the best player in five years time and able to grow or sustain that level of play throughout a professional career. Not an easy proposition.

In closing, if I was asked to give my best guess, of the prospects I’ve seen in person this season, I still believe McCarron is the most raw, but also has the highest ceiling. Experts moaned when the Canadiens brass made this pick, but I can now see that, looking ahead, we might not have another prospect in our entire system with as much room for improvement. There will need to be a significant support cast to aid and assist in this growth, but ultimately McCarron will determine his fate. Given his performance over the past six weeks, I’m cautiously optimistic that we might have found a diamond in the rough. What the future holds for Reway, Hudon and others I don’t know, nor profess to know, but there is undoubtedly a great deal of raw talent. Zykov, who many draft experts suggested we grab in place of McCarron looked terrible last night, and based on reviews has taken a step backwards this year. Will he succeed or fail will be determined in the months and years ahead.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…completely agree with Your evaluation of McCarron CJ

…but, the toughest factor to evaluate is what’s going on between the ears

• CJ says:

The “it” factor. Grew up with Matt Carkner. Although a year younger, we played against each other every other year. On the odd year, my brother, who is two years younger, played against him. Kid couldn’t cross over skating backwards when he was 15, but I’ve never seen anyone in my life work harder at something.

I couldn’t tell you what kind of drive or determination McCarron has, but he has gotten better, every year, which is a very positive sign. Fingers crossed….

• JUST ME says:

Thanks for the report. There is still lots of place for improvement but also plenty of time. It is unfair but not surprizing from the habs fans to judge the kid right now.
      The fact that now we can follow those guys day to day with internet and social networks gives us a wrong impression. Those kids are years away from making it to the NHL if they ever will but we think that they are on the door step.

In a case like McCarron scouts really have to be brilliant to choose a guy who at first glance does not have the skills that we usually look for but that is playing in the power forward range. If he makes it like Max Pac did then it is a very valuable asset that every team is looking for.

• Cal says:

I have to think these scouts see the same players over time and don’t rate players based upon one game. It is not easy to determine who has it and who does it, but by seeing improvements over a season or so a scout can figure out who is improving and who isn’t.

McCarron is a long term project. He is at least three seasons away from being considered good enough to play for the Habs. I have to wait about that time to see if he’s grown into that big body of his.

• CJ says:

There is no doubt that scouts see these players countless times before making a determination. You would want to see them at home, on the road, in both comfortable and uncomfortable settings and situations. You would also want to see the players through different lenses, to either validate or counter a singular opinion. I read that Timmons watched somewhere over 200 games last season, in various leagues across the world.

The Ottawa Citizen ran a cool piece a couple of years ago as they followed Bryan and Tim Murray for one weekend in the Q. It was exhausting just reading it. Watching the game, meeting with players and coaches, filing reports…..

32. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Any suggestions for early morning party appetizers?

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

33. Wintercount says:

Canada has yet to play from behind in the tournament and may that continue demain!

Knock on wood!!

34. Sportfan says:

Forsberg is pissed about the officials for tomorrow, all Canadian I’d be mad to but for what its worth we are all tired of Tim Peel

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. UKRAINIANhab says:

Canada has not accomplished anything yet. If we come in 2nd place Babcock is an idiot, if we come in 1st Babcock is hero. Hoping for the second part or as some of you say “the ladder” (that ladder statement is starting to annoy me idk why). I hope the Canadian players realize that silver is not acceptable whatsoever.

36. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

So Peter Forsberg is trying to gain an edge for Sweden by saying the Gold medal game is officiated by 3 Canadians and 1 American (the latter living in Calgary).

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

37. habs001 says:

Who would have predicted that after 5 games only 4 forwards have scored for Canada?

38. Maritime Ronn says:

It looks as though Carey Price and PK Subban will be the very first Montreal Canadiens playing for Team Canada to win an Olympic medal.

Saku had a Silver and Bronze while a Hab yet that was for Team Finland, not Team Canada

Imagine the ovation these 2 will get next Wednesday at the Bell Centre when the Habs resume play against….Coach Babcock’s Red Wings

39. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Don’t quite get the ridiculing of the U.S. team. I do feel Canada outplayed and were full value for the win, but that U.S. team we played yesterday, was an excellent team, who played very hard in that game. Essentially one hockey play seperated win from loss.

It may not have been right for U.S. to drop the ball today, but I think that team was extremely letdown from the previous game. They owe it to their fans and country to have played harder today, but we have seen Canada crap the bed as well when having to settle for a bronze medal game.

Today’s loss while lopsided, does not diminish the fact the U.S team was indeed a very good team. Hopefully team Canada can be as ready tomorrow for Sweden as they were for the States. Sweden will give Canada all they can handle.

Unfortunately my watering hole did not get approval by the region to serve anything other than coffee and juice, but going to join the whole gang to watch the game. Something great about cheering alongside so many others whom normally I cheer against.

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

What I wouldn’t give to hear Jack Edwards stick a mike in front of Brian Burke and ask if he regrets the rant about Bobby Ryan, followed by whether he thinks Ryan could have helped Team USA to score at least 1 goal in its final 120 minutes of play at these games …

That is one interview I would listen to. Not that this is on Burke – it isn’t, but a little humility sometimes goes a long way. Tough to imagine he will be asked to return to US hockey on the international stage again in future.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• frontenac1 says:

Bring a mickey amigo. Sneak it in your coffee when the Barkeep isn’t looking.

40. The Jackal says:

Lots of talk about the US and how they finished out of the a medal.
    Indeed a very interesting development, like others, I thought they had a really good team. I think they gelled earlier than other teams and went on a tear, but they did not face any adversity in their games and only really had one tough bout. IMO, when they couldn’t get anything going against Canada, they had no experience to draw on in terms of how to overcome that situation and that at least partially caused their play to fall apart. Granted, they still played a good game and were a scoring threat, but they were kept to the outside and were dominated by Canada.

By the same vein, I think Canada’s slow start helped them become a better team. They didn’t hard match-ups against Norway and Austria, but their scoring struggles early on probably helped them deal with such situations to the extent that not getting pucks in wouldn’t faze them as it did the Americans. Specially that Latvia game, couldn’t buy a goal but we pressed on with confidence. Finland, Latvia, and the US games were all key moments for the team and it ultimately helped them reach a high level of confidence with their game despite the fact they were not scoring much.

This will certainly help tomorrow and it gives Canada an additional edge. I don’t expect much scoring because Sweden is a great team with a great goalie and so are we, but I do think our forwards will press on with their relentless attack and pop some goals in while our defense continues its outstanding play.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

USA could not score a single goal in two games!!!
    They are paid hundred of millions to produce. !!!

Sure hope Canada can find the back of the net against the Sweed’s.
    6am, I’ll be there.

42. WindsorHab-10 says:

Hats off to Roberto Luongo for being a true team player. His tweet yesterday “Jesus Price” was priceless & showed that his main objective is winning gold for Canada. Sure I’m pissed that Subban was a healthy scratch but when I look at the end of Team Canada’s bench & see Luongo cheering the team on, it’s not so bad.
    Go Team Canada Go!!!!!!!!!!

• Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

In the past, I was not a Luongo fan and found him somewhat arrogant at times a few years back. However, ever since Mike Gillis and company basically screwed him around in the goalie controversy with Schneider, I have pulled a 180 and admire Luongo for handling the controversy with professionalism. He deserved to be part of Team Canada with his overall performance during the year; same as the Habs, his team up front did not help him much at times.

I do hope that he does get traded to a contender and challenge for the cup somewhere else.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

43. The Teacher says:

The most intriguing thing for me once the NHL season starts up again will be the play of PK Subban. Will he have elated anything playing with the best of the best. Will he use this experience of not playing to alter his game a little and improve on his already immense talent. Will he omission from the lineup at the Olympics further intensify his focus?

I am so excited to see the growth in PK for the rest of this season.

44. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Best Canada coach…Stephane Waite…LOL

GO CAREY GO!

45. 4m3y2j says:

For all of the posters hating on the Americans,shame on you.
    As Canadians we (as does the rest of the world)admonish Americans for their broggado and brashness .
    Why display those qualities in victory ?Did you not see Carey and the other players in the handshake line,higher road people,higher road.

john slattery

46. habs_54321 says:

I hope MaxPac comes back from this tournament with some anger, he seriously needs an injection of meanness in his game

Does anyone know who has home ice advantage in tomorrow’s game?

• Gerry H says:

Sweden (higher finish in prelim).

• 24 Cups says:

I guess that kind of evens out the three Canadian officials for the game (although some might say that those officials will bend over backwards to appear neutral).

• Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Besides last line change, what else is provided for home ice advantage?

I just hope the Canadians will not wear the black jerseys.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

• 24 Cups says:

The support of the hometown crowd:)

I’m not sure how much “matching” there will be tomorrow.

My main concern is that Sweden will play a combination of the European trap crap along with a bit of NHL style play.

Going by what has happened so far, I would expect a low scoring game such as 2-1.

• Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

You know, as the tournament went on, I was feeling more confident that Canada can play “their” game on Olympic ice. No doubt, the Europeans are good with the trap; however our boys seem to be learning more and more each game. I hope the stars align tomorrow, or today if I pull an all-nighter.

And I have to say… that Patrice Bergeron must have a hockey ‘smarts’ IQ out of this world! I sure wish he was a Hab.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

48. B says:

Tampa 5th rounder goalie Kristers Gudlevskis’ stock is on the rise after a strong Olympic performance. Meanwhile, former 1st rounder (15th overall) goalie Riku Helenius has been put on $125 waivers to clear the way for termination of his contact.

–Go Habs Go!–

49. Habfan10912 says:

Kudos to Ron for the shout out to JJ. Congrats JJ and good job Ron!

50. Prop Is Canadian says:

Alright Team Canada… no pressure…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

51. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

It was great to see the Finns receive their medals and the nice farewell to Selanne. It’s obvious that that better team won today.
    If the Americans won, I wouldn’t envision them being as appreciative of the accomplishment as the Finns were.

At the start of the Olympics, who would have thought the men’s USA hockey team would finish out of the medals?

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

52. Plekasuares says:

Koskta on waivers.

53. Plekasuares says:

At least Subban gets some rest

54. Lopaz is Canadian says:

You can see in the photo of Price, above this thread, exactly what adjustment was made to his posture. Price is way lower to the ice, and he pushes himself to stay low.

This keeps Prices eyes close to the ice. It keeps Price very focused on the puck. He sees the puck moving in the zone much better, and a goalie that sees the puck clearer and longer will be in better position to make the saves.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Eddie! I’m not a goalie or have much knowledge of how to play the position but to me it looks like he’s attacking the puck instead of the puck hitting him. I’m sure its an illusion and may have more to do with the positioning you speak of

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

Watch how he purposely gets his eyes low to the ice tomorrow. It’s really obvious once you see it.

Before this season he lost more pucks on their way to the net. Pucks were shot from the point and beating him because he wasnt picking up where they were early enough.

• Wintercount says:

Also, when the puck is behind the net he is very much more aware of what the players without the puck are doing in front of the net. That’s on Waite, I believe.

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

You are right on there Lopaz. Dryden was the pioneer of this, low to the ice. Look at old photos from early 70’s, Dryden was also a tall goalie like CP. Extra flex in the quads helps with speed on low shots also, hard to be fast when muscles are not “charged”

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

55. commandant says:

I interviewed one of the top 10 prospects for the NHL Draft yesterday.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

56. habsfan0 says:

A day ago,everybody was calling the American squad dominant,a favourite to win the Gold Medal.
    Their last 2 games,when it REALLY mattered,shut out twice,disappeared without a whimper.

Sounds like the Phil Kessel,James van Riemsdyk,Toronto Maple Leaf influence really took hold!

• Habfan10912 says:

I understand a lot of people are saying this but here’s my take. Yesterday the US got beat by a better team and the best goaltender in the world. No shame in that. Today, they tried to play with their spirits broken. That was unfortunate but I wouldn’t slander the talent on that team because of it although I kind of like your Leaf theory. :)

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

Agree Jim

• Gerry H says:

There was an interesting interview wit a Finnish sports journalist on CBC Radio today. He said that Finland has won as many medals as it has in the NHL Olympic era precisely because the bronze is almost their gold, while the North American teams view the bronze medal game as a loserfest.

CAN/USA just can’t get pumped about third place in international hockey.

• habstrinifan says:

Agreed! I dont think we as Canadians should be ‘bragging’. It was a 1 goal game after all. I think if Canada were playing for the bronze today you would have see a letdown too.

• 24 Cups says:

I think the US-Canada game could have gone either way. Just one shot could have changed it all.

Today the US reminded me of when the Gretzky Olympic team showed up for the bronze game totally deflated and eventually lost. Years later Gretzky said not getting the bronze medal was one of his few regrets in hockey.

57. thehabsfan29 says:

If theres one player I would love to have on the habs it would be Colin Wilson from the preds. A Young solid power forward with a great contract and he has a great future In the NHL

To this day it still surprises me how the isles took bailey over Myers in that draft

58. BJ says:

So much for the USA firepower. Too bad for Max Pac and nice to see “Butterball” Kessel going home to his Leafs empty handed.

59. Sportfan says:

Happy for the Fins!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

60. Maritime Ronn says:

Canada has had a great Olympics and regardless of Norway, this country will end up being a close 2nd to Russia – the host country with a population of about 140 million.

Great respect for little Norway, but their Medal distribution has everything to do with an element of Cross-country skiing… being the sport itself – Biathlon which includes cross country skiing + shooting, or Nordic Combined that is cross country skiing+ski jump.

These 3 sports combine for 29 specific Olympic events that give medals.
    Of Norway’s 25 total Medals, 21 have come in those events including 10 of their 11 Gold Medals.

Now, 1 more Gold Medal for Canada tomorrow…

• Sportfan says:

I think 9 of our medals or more are based off of freestyle sports, some countries are good at specific sports. We also didn’t have that many athlete’s in the cross country games as opposed to Vancouver.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Chris says:

Those events for Norway are classic winter events: there is nothing more pure in the Summer Olympics than the running/swimming races, and there is nothing more pure in the Winter Olympics than skiing/skating races.

I think Canada has done fantastically well, but I hate the constant need to denigrate the sports that we North Americans largely don’t “care about” or dominate. There has seemed to be this need of late to apply a big asterisk over Norway’s performances in the Winter Olympics, but skiing is pretty much the foundation of the Winter Games.

Norway has historically done very well in alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, speed skating, biathlon and ski jumping. These are all events that have been contested for a century.

Cross-country skiing (especially the team relays and the 50 km men’s race) are considered the marquee events in many countries (espeically Russia, Norway, Finland, and Sweden).

Alpine skiing, particularly the downhill and the slalom, is considered the marquee event in central and southern Europe (France, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Germany).

In Canada, the marquee event is obviously the hockey games, and the same is probably true in recent years for Russia. For the U.S., the marquee event is whichever one they are winning, but they definitely seem to be the most into the freestyle skiing and snowboarding events, although the X-Games are perhaps more prestigious in those cases.

We don’t need to constantly contextualize why other countries are doing well. Canadian athletes have given a fantastic performance in perhaps the most competitive Olympics in history.

• 24 Cups says:

Ronn – There are always two sides to a coin so I think we have to accepts whatever the standings say.

Norway leads the medal race with 53 athletes and 5M people. Talk about national pride.

61. habsfan0 says:

I know there’s the matter of a hockey game tomorrow morning,but..
    Habs have a tough week coming up. Detroit,Pittsburgh,Toronto.
    I imagine Budaj will play in at least one of those games.

62. habsfan4ever says:

Les Canadiens sont la!

63. habsfan0 says:

If Carey Price gets another shutout tomorrow,leading Canada to Gold,what are the odds of him carrying Canada’s flag during the Closing Ceremonies?

64. PrimeTime says:

Where is the Doomer & Doomer crowd? #USA #Babcock #Crow

65. JUST ME says:

And yet again Brian Burke is on the losing side of things
    Yes but ages ago he fertilized the earth with his big piles of dung !

I do not buy any of his positive reputation. He has no vision. For as much as we criticized Babcock and his gang, at least he knew what it would take to win and beat other teams. Clearly the U.S.A. management did not have the vision to choose their players accordingly.

If the americans did not admit that Canada was way better yesterday , how about this one ?

Congrats to the Finns and the great Teemu who again when it meant anything carried his team to the target.

• habsfan0 says:

Brian Burke has a Stanley Cup ring while employed by the Anaheim Ducks.
      Marc Bergevin has a Stanley Cup ring while employed by the Chicago Blackhawks.
      However,in this business,it’s:”What have you done lately?”

• JUST ME says:

That`s exactly what i mean. I am not buying into his past acomplishments as many here do not relate to the glorious days of the habs to justify everything that happens here. Burke is passé and should be viewed as such as long as he keeps hanging on to his reputation and jobs in the NHL .

66. habsfan0 says:

Does anybody know if Patches got on the stat sheet in this tournament?

67. piter says:

I wonder what the outcome of the Sweden-Finland game would have been if Rask would have played. Maybe we would be playing the Finns instead of the Swedes. Why didn’t he play anyway?

68. Maritime Ronn says:

Great stuff by Finland, and you just have to love everything about Selanne.

As for Team USA – and you can put Team Canada in the same category, it’s just not in the DNA to play for…3rd Place.
    The disappointment of yesterday lingered…

69. habsfan0 says:

24 hours ago,everybody was saying how dominant the US hockey team looked in this tournament.
    Now,they’ve finished out of the medals.

70. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

I hate to admit it but Komorov would help the Laffs.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

71. Chris says:

Feel a bit bad for Kane…he’s getting ripped by the CBC guys, but that was one hell of a cross-check Vaananen put into Kane’s kidney that precipitated the retaliation.

72. Strummer says:

In fairness to team USA- they stink
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

73. habs001 says:

Of the most medals won Canada has to be one of the most balanced countries as they have won medals in a variety of events…The Netherlands have won 23 medals in oval speedskating…Norway mostly in ski events..Russia has won 5 gold medals by former American and Korean..