Liveblog: Olympic Games, semifinal: Canada 1, U.S. 0

Canada is going to the gold-medal game at the Sochi Olympics.

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price made 31 saves to shut out Team USA 1-0 in Friday’s semifinals as Team Canada advanced to Sunday’s gold-medal game against Sweden. Jamie Benn scored the goal for Canada in the second period. Canada had 37 shots on goal during the game.

Sweden beat Finland 2-1 in Friday’s other semifinal game.

Sunday’s gold-medal game will start at 7 a.m. ET.

HI/O’s Mike Boone was blogging live along with other Postmedia News writers during the Canada-U.S. game. You can read the live blog by clicking here. Boone will be blogging live again during Sunday’s gold-medal game and you can get the link on HI/O early Sunday morning.

Team Canada coach Mike Babcock didn’t make any changes to his lineup for Friday’s semifinal game, meaning Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban was a healthy scratch again. Other than Matt Duchene replacing the injured John Tavares, the lineup remained the same as it was for Canada’s quarter-final victory over Latvia.

Here’s how the lineup looked for Team Canada against the U.S.:

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

SCRATCHES
John Tavares (injured) – P.K. Subban – Mike Smith

(Photo by Jean Levac/Postmedia News)

Carey Price has been golden for Canada, by Mike Boone

Canada vs. U.S. live blog with Mike Boone, Postmedia News

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1,537 Comments

1. Blondie est Canadien says:

Let’s go Canada! I wonder if the American and Canadian refs will get into a scrap over a call. :)

2. boing007 says:

Here we go loop de loop…

Richard R

3. habsguru IS CANADIAN - is Babcock? says:

no matter the result, I say Stevie Y is done with the Olympic Program, or doesn’t head it up anyway.

4. Et le Canadian but says:

For the next two hours or so, let us put aside our differences of opinion and sadistic urges and come together AS CANADIANS to support our team.

Go Canada Go!

5. durocher says:

Anyone with a link to a live stream (that is not on CBC.ca or NBColympics.com)?

Thanks!

6. Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

You think that Subban is going to be more than a little motivated for next Wednesday’s game against the Red Wings?

Maltais is through to semi’s in short track.

8. boing007 says:

Captain Serious: Leader of the Pack.

Richard R

9. Mavid is a Canadian fan and thinks they should free PK says:

I think he is telling PK “I tell you what we make it to the gold metal round and your in” yep thats it…man am I nervous..yet excited at the same time…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

10. boing007 says:

So, what has PK supposedly learned while sitting in the stands during these games? How to play Panger’s Way?

Richard R

• Timo says:

Shhh… we don’t imply things like this over here.

• monmick is Canadian says:

I guess he is the only black hockey player at the Olympics, perhaps with the exception of Johnny Oduya…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• AH says:

Yeah, what a fricking farce, I know it’s a great honor and all, but really to go and just sit, that has got to be eating at PK, no matter now brave of a face he puts on. Deep down, he’s probably thinking “man, I could have been sitting on a beach for the last week instead stting here benched behind some of these schmoes!”
      What kills me is they dress that Hamhuis bum as their 7th, why not dress the guy who could actually make something happen if you need it? More and more this is looking like they didn’t want him on the team at all, but they all didn’t want to look stupid not picking the defending Norris trophy winner just in case they lose. It’s easier to defend picking him and not playing him at all than not picking him.

Oh well maybe Babcock will surprise us all and put him in for the Gold medal game? LOL!

11. jols says:

Positive sign folks. I just won my first “role up the rim” prize. A doughnut. This has to bode well for a Canada win today.

12. habfan01 is red white and blue says:

For the first time- I’m hoping Carey lives up to his detractors and craps the bed today

• joeybarrie says:

SHUT IT……….

• CJ says:

Why, oh why?…. Check that, nevermind.

• Et le Canadian but says:

A new Canadian study found online trolling is a technological form of sadism. In other words, its practitioners just enjoy being mean on the Internet.
      Researchers from the University of Winnipeg and University of British Columbia had 1,215 people complete surveys about their online commenting style.
      Online trolls post comments or messages meant to start arguments or get an emotional reaction from others.
      “Trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism,” the study, titled Trolls just want to have fun, says.
      The same correlation didn’t exist for users who liked other activities such as chatting or debating, and the strongest association was with trolling and sadism. Thus, cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism.
      “We found clear evidence that sadists tend to troll because they enjoy it,” the researchers said.

• monmick is Canadian says:

Posters from other countries are fully allowed to cheer for their respective teams. I hope Quick gets pulled in the first…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

13. Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

Wouldn’t it be rich if, with 3 minutes of ice time, Hamhuis scored the winner?

14. jols says:

A couple of positive drug tests today. I’m surprised it took this long for someone to get caught. The games end in 2 days.

Is Man Li Wang skating in these olympics?

16. joeybarrie says:

So nervous. Here in Washington DC, barely anyone even knows the game is on today. Who is playing, etc, etc….
    They do not understand how important it is to me. How nervous I am.
    But if USA wins………….. All of a sudden itll be the most important thing around. Flags will turn up, and itll be USA USA USA all the way.

Canada wins, and people will ask, huh? oh olympic hockey. who played?

• habsfan0 says:

Apparently,President Obama will be watching as he has a case of beer riding on the outcome.

• joeybarrie says:

There are hockey fans, some of my friends are as nervous as me. But here at work, I am waiting for noon to go watch the game at the pub, and most people I have seen today have no idea.
        Wait? So this is the Gold medal game???? No?? So why is it so important then?
        But if they win……… Biggest day of the year.

I don’t have a lot of confidence. We haven’t been effective offensively, and the American’s have.

Very nervous.

• ianism says:

same. we have been effective defensively though, thank goodness.

and really we only need one or two of the forward lines to start clicking in order to have a decent offence

• Congrats to Ladies 2014 Gold medalists says:

Here ya Joey, most Americans only give a crap about sports dominated by black athletes, football, basketball, and baseball.

Hockey, being the honkey sport as they see it, goes over there head.

Even more reason to why CANADA deserves to win. Americans don’t have nearly the same class, and pride behind their team as all 35 million CANADIANS do.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

You know if the US win there will be a TV movie called something like Miracle by the Black Sea.

• joeybarrie says:

OK, tell me when Canada came back yesterday and stole the Gold no one wanted to ask every American they saw if they believed in Miracles????
        Other than the bad karma for today’s game, its all I wanted to ask any of my friends…

• Strummer says:

Canada winning a gold in Womens Hockey is by no means a miracle.
          A miracle would be if any other team won the gold yesterday or in the future

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

17. jols says:

Oh boy, I’m getting nervous. This is going to be a fantastic game. 30 more minutes till puck drop. 5-2 Canada. Book it!!!

18. ont fan says:

Mike Weir putting on the last day at the Masters, Cary Price in goal today. Similar?

19. Strummer says:

Looks like Babcock isn’t deviating from his etched-in-stone plan today.
    I saw an interview with him this morning where he was looking forward to getting back to his “own” team where there would be no outside interference of how he runs it.

Sounds like he’s getting unwelcome input from the management group.
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Phil C says:

I noticed this comment from Babcock before the Latvian game:
      “We’ve changed our lines, in my opinion – same at last Olympics – too much,” said Babcock.

If he is in charge and he doesn’t like it, why are they still tinkering then?

Then I saw Hitchcock’s quote:
      “I think the one thing we’ve learned over time is if it’s not there, chemistry-wise, move,” assistant coach Ken Hitchcock said before the tournament began. “Don’t sit there and wait on it because [if] it’s not there early it ain’t there later.”

Sounds like Babcock has finally had enough of Hitchcock’s tinkering. I am glad Babcock is taking control, he has to coach the game as he sees it. Hitchcock would probably run things differently, but not necessarily better.

• Timo says:

Looks like he was indeed an ideal candidate to coach at the olympics. This pretty much is the spirit of all team canada members… can’t get back to their fat NHL paychecks and get over with all that olympics nuisance.

20. boing007 says:

Who is the fastest skater on Team Canada?

Richard R

21. Tomi says:

I really hope Canada loses and a defensman gets seriously injured for Canada. I hate this team as much as I truly hate the Habs and their moronic management.
    I know this makes me a terrible fan and a disgrace as a Canadian. But I really don’t care. You should all know my schtick by now.

22. commandant says:

The Latvian goalie’s performance earned him an NHL callup, and moved him up the Tampa depth chart.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

23. habsfan0 says:

In the 1950’s NHL President Clarence Campbell was greeted with thrown eggs at the Montreal Forum after he had suspended Rocket Richard.
    I wonder how fans will greet Mike Babcock at the Bell Centre for his benching of PK?

24. Sportfan says:

Bulldogs tonight anyone know who is healthy and who isn’t?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. monmick is Canadian says:

What kind of beer should I drink during the game? I’m leaning towards Molson Canadian. It’s not my favorite, but it seems like the patriotic thing to do…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

26. ianism says:

Anyone watch ski cross this morning? awesome stuff.

• Chris says:

I was watching the women’s 4 x 6 km biathlon race. Megan Heinecke, Canada’s 3rd leg skier, was absolutely outstanding, getting Canada as high as 4th and within striking distance of traditional powers Norway and Russia (Ukraine ran away with it). Unfortunately, the last leg didn’t go as smoothly but still a tremendous performance by the Canadian women.

• Timo says:

I watched the re-run. Great stuff as with the men’s curling gold (although that wasn’t even close). Some great results in the last 2-3 days from Canadians.

• ianism says:

yes i am two hours ahead of EST and i work the night shift so the 1/8 finals started at 6:30am for me. must have been frustrating for the canadian guy who came 4th in the men’s ski-x. snowboarding was more exciting though… and i’m saying that as a lifelong skier

27. Phil C says:

Babcock seems to have finally taken control of the team, setting the lines, no more tinkering. About time, there should only be one skipper.

28. DoopsyDiddler says:

Before the game, I’d like to go on record and raise a very heartfelt middle finger to Mike Babcock, Lindy Ruff, Claude Julien, and Ken Hitchcock.

Really.

You guys suck.

29. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m as anxious and nervous for Carey Price as I am for Team Canada! This is the biggest game of his life by a country mile. It’s his chance to finally shut the doubters across Canada up and even some idiots that call themselves Canadiens fans!

Price Vs Quick and Canada Vs USA…doesn’t get any bigger than this unless the Habs are in the Stanley Cup finals!

• Luke is Canadian says:

Hobie,

Even if Price gets a 50 save shutout today and a 65 save shutout on Sunday and wins the cups followiong 16 consecutive shutouts (and scores 2 OT game winners in the final round) some ‘fans’ will still find a way to doubt.

Thats a lot of shutouts in this message.

Someone will have to do a shutout count to see if jinxed the shuout or double-jinxed the shutout.

shutoutshutoutshutoutshutout.
      shutout.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am nervous about the game period. I am not worried about Price. I am worried about goal scoring. Price is elite

“Lets Go Canada”

30. Et le Canadian but says:

Like the weather in Montréal today, I expect the floodgates to open and predict a convincing victory for Team Canada.

Something along the lines of 5-1 seems about right.

31. Luke is Canadian says:

Well, Happy BeerDay featuring a Beersie lunch (but a return to the non-beersie office afterwards).

No major issues with Canada’s play in the nets and defensive zone. Or from the Blueliners in the offensive zone. Keith, Weber and Doughty have been absolutely off the charts.

The Canadian forwards really seem disjointed. Perhaps due to the constant line-shuffling. Perhaps the pressure. Perhaps the larger ice. Perhaps a divide over the PK affair (heh heh heh). They seem to get too far outside the faceoff dots (and below them) too easily. Plus the passing when in prime shooting spots… ugh.
    Seems they’ve got a case of the MontrealCanadiens-itis.

I think I would have gone with a 4th defensive pair instead of a 7th Dman and a 13th forward. Easier to manage and it wouldn’t mess up the line combos from time to time (assuming they would ever find them).

My prediction for today’s game though is that the coaches start relying on certain players more heavily and we see the end of the balanced TOIs. This is when the lines that are going get the 20 minutes and the lines that aren’t get the 8s and 10s.

USA seems to have the speed advantage, but I’m giving this one to Team PK Canada 4-3.

32. boing007 says:

No PK?! Boo!!!!

Richard R

33. frontenac1 says:

That picture up top. I wonder what PK is saying to Babcock. Must’ve been pretty bad to get scratched again.

34. D Mex-iCanadian says:

Only a moron!c ar$ehole would intentionally wish injury on a member of Team Canada. Are there any moron!c ar$eholes here today ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

35. Miltie01 says:

Double Gold in Curling, can the Men’s Hockey Team make it a DOUBLE_DOUBLE ? Nothing would be more Canadian !!!

36. Phil C says:

What a dominant performance by the Men’s curling team. Now what the hell am I going to do for an hour and fifteen minutes?

37. jols says:

Nice job boys. Great day for Canadians so far. The hockey team better not f#%k things up.

38. Sportfan says:

Congrats to Brad Jacobs and Team Canada winning Gold in men’s curling!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

39. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

The beauty of curling is now those two teams will probably share a pint together, as that is tradition!

40. SPATS says:

The Jacobs stare – Golden!

When Putin stares in the mirror he sees Jacobs staring back – balls of gold!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

41. Et le Canadian but says:

Jacobs and team win Gold…9 for Canada and counting!

Well done lads!

42. GL says:

we’ll see what the mens team is made of today. Are they Real Canadians like the Womens team or are they just NHL’ers !!

43. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! They’re opening the Saloons at 6:00am this weekend! Saludos!

44. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

So Sweden has yet to be tested, I mean they didn’t even blow out that crappy Finland team which Canada was supposed to blow out!

• Kooch7800 says:

I booked off this afternoon so I can watch the game at home. God I really hope we break out in this game. I have a feeling whoever wins it will be another 2-1 game. Both teams have elite goalies. The only edge I think we have is better defense the US offense has been a bit more effective in this tourney though.

“Lets Go Canada”

45. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

As Adam Gopnik writes in the New Yorker: “My own theory is also blue-lined based, and purely parochial: the absence from Team Canada of the real stalwart of the Habs’ blue line, P. K. Subban, who has been benched for fear of his making defensive errors (as he is reputed to do, though he rarely does), when, in truth, the big ice surface and relative lack of stick fouls and holding would enable his skating game—the best a defenseman has offered since Paul Coffey—to carry the play. If Canada loses, we P.K.ers will have an instant excuse.”

46. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Barring a miracle comeback and the Canadian team all breaking their legs, should be gold medal in curling.

47. monmick is Canadian says:

I don’t like the Crosby line. Bergeron and Kunitz are probably the two least offensively skilled players on the team. I don’t get it. Maybe I should squint and look at the lines again…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

48. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m disappointed Subban isn’t playing but I’m hoping for a real hockey game today. Go Canada!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

49. jols says:

Good morning folks, I see we won another gold and silver with the men’s curlers looking good for yet another gold. Awesome. We also have a chance at some speed skating medals later today. Could be a massive day for us.

Sweden beat Finland. I missed it. I noticed Rask wasn’t playing though. What happened to him?

50. JUST ME says:

After what we have all witnessed yesterday i see no reason why each and every canadian player should not have the heart to kick some american derrieres.

If not i have my reason to celebrate and the men will have to find their own. Go Canada go !

I am cheering for a dman injury for Canada. On an odd chance they go to win this tourney (which I highly doubt) I want PK to be in the uniform to receive a medal. And I also hope that Mtl crowd will rain every piece of garbage found at Bell center on babcock’s head next game he is in town.

• jols says:

Get over it bro. Enjoy the games. Canada is doing a lot of great things. Enjoy it.

• matrags says:

I am bitting my tongue, as far as P k goes, just a sham , dig really deep down under all those layers of excuses as to why he is not playing and you will eventually stop sorting through crap and find just really drives the snub. .

• CJ says:

As much as I wish PK was playing, I would never wish an injury upon a player, whether he be Canadian, American or otherwise.

PK was a part of this team and will get a medal. In the event the NHL continues to have players at future Olympics, he will be a major contributor.

As suggested earlier this week – maybe even at the forward position……

• Timo says:

That where you and I differ. I have no warm and fuzzy feeling towards any of the men’s team Canada hockey players.

• CJ says:

I hope you believe me when I say I am not pretending. I just can’t bring myself to wish an injury upon an opposing player. Of course I enjoyed PK’s huge open ice hit on Marchand, but that is a lot different then wishing he would get an ACL tear.

To each their own.

• CJ says:

Sorry Timo, my reply is misplaced. This comment was intended for Burly below.

With respect to your post, I also don’t harbour any kind of warm and fuzzy feeling for any of the team Canada’s players, Price and PK not withstanding. I simply can’t bring myself to hope that someone gets injured.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I won’t pretend to be so polite, players like Chara and Marchand I can easily see a scenario where I can hope for an injury. I don’t pretend to think that is right, but it is me being honest.

• habsfan0 says:

Sitting the defending Norris Trophy winner who has a bullet shot raises a lot of questions in my mind.
      Subban’s benching will provide Marc Bergevin with a great deal of ammo as far as low balling PK with a contract offer is concerned.

• Timo says:

No it doesn’t. Subban will get his 8 mil and the only question is from where. Becuase there are 29 teams that would be willing to pay that despite what therrien and babcock thing about PK. (ok, 28 teams)

The only thing Bergevin can do is screw MOntreal Canadiens by losing the only star player they had since Pat Roy.

• PsyCONADIAN29 says:

That’s the true Canadian spirit!

52. habstrinifan says:

GOOD NEWS STORY OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And life goes on!!!

53. BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Good morning all.
    This is what I posted last night, except things have changed.

Feast your eyes people!
    Assuming those ahead don’t win any more medals, if our hockey team were to take either gold or silver, they’d take either 2nd or 4th place in the medal count.

But now, after this morning’s 1-2 combination of Marielle Thompson and Kelsey Serwa, we could finish first overall.
    I mean the Netherlands have won what ….. 20 out of 22 in in long track speed skating.
    The Norwegians have done the same in cross country skiing. What’s left, except for sports where Canada dominates?

I know. It’s not finished yet. But good luck to our Canadian men’s teams.
    The women have certainly given us one he!! of a boost!

We’re so awesome!

54. Captain aHab says:

Murdoch just had to make a great shot to take 1.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

55. crane says:

P.K. not playing ,gives him time to check out European banks for his 70 million dollar contract,just weeks away.

56. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Murdoch has no idea what 4foot draw weight is today, if you can’t find draw weight at this level, you are toast.

• Captain aHab says:

I think he’s better than that usually but Canada puts a LOT of pressure on the opposition.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Murdoch is a world class curler, but today he and his team just don’t have it. And behind this much, it is so hard to comeback. They are having a bad day. This is why I was happy to see them upset Sweden, Niklas Edin’s team is a better team in my opinion, but Murdoch played very well to upset them.

57. Captain aHab says:

Brits in a world of hurt again.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

58. ths says:

February ’14
    Sochi weather fine
    It was business as usual
    In dressing room 619
    Oh PK, PK, because PK
    Oh PK, PK, because PK
    Nomo Mojo, Nomo Mojo
    -The man is benched

When I try to sleep at night
    I can only dream in red
    The outside world is red and white
    With only one colour benched
    Oh PK, PK because PK
    Oh PK, PK, because PK
    Nomo Mojo, Nomo Mojo
    -The man is benched

You can blow out a candle
    But you can’t go out and fire (Babcock)
    Once the flames begin to catch
    The wind will blow it higher
    Oh PK , PK because PK
    Nomo Mojo, Nomo Mojo
    -The man is benched

And the eyes of the world are
    watching now
    watching now

59. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

I wanted to quickly weigh in on a very specific topic, which is likely to be either glamorized or demonized, depending on the outcome in the days ahead – goaltending.

Firstly, the Olympic games represent a collection of the World’s greatest hockey players. Omissions and additions can be debated, but for the most part, those on the ice are the players who deserve to be there. Within this collection of the World’s greatest athletes, no other position will fall under closer scrutiny then the goaltenders.

Now, here is my two cents. Win or lose, my opinion of the three remaining goaltenders (King Henrik, Price and Quick) will not change dramatically. I already consider them to be among the best in the world. We could arugue the order, however all three are very much in many hockey minded individual’s top five. Despite this being a single game elemination tournament, a great deal will be made of the outcome.

Price, at 26, is the youngest of the three goaltenders. A win today would certainly be a feather in his cap, however I believe it needs to be taken in stride. I say this because I fear a loss would be pinned on the young man. This tournament is being contested in Russia, however since the host country gloriously flamed out on Wednesday, the remaining pressure now resides squarley on team Canada. Price already has an AHL Calder Cup trophy and a WJC gold medal. In time, I belive he will add a Stanley Cup to his resume. Whether he adds an Olympic medal will be determined in the hours ahead.

If ever there was an athlete who I am pulling for, who’s success I would place on par (never ahead) of the team’s, its our guy – Pricer. If team Canada beats the US today, I will not regard Quick as a choker. Likewise, if team Canada loses, at 26 years of age, I will not consider Price a failure. That said, boy I hope he shines.

Legends will be made from the outcome. I anticipate a great game. I also anticipate a team Canada victory.

Wherever you are today, if possible, take the time to enjoy the spirit of sport with a friend, family member or colleage. I had the pleasure of watching the ladies yesterday with a number of my employees. It really promotes a sense of community and helps with our engagement.

Have a great day everyone! Go team Canada!

60. aversglay says:

Can they run them out of rocks before the tenth?

61. Captain aHab says:

Man, the Brits are falling apart just like the Swedes did against Canada yesterday in curling. Another steal…

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

62. DoopsyDiddler says:

One of Canada’s hopefuls in the 500m short track is called Charles Cournoyer. I wonder if he’s got some of those genes?

63. DoopsyDiddler says:

OK I’m done criticizing the coaches, time to get behind our country.

Mike Babcock is like Putin – just a guy trying to do his best for Canada. The Subban-obsessives are like Pussy Riot trying to spoil the party.

What’s needed now is to come together for the motherland.

64. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Are Rocks McFadden and P K Subban the same person?

65. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Sweden. Wow. Lundqvist comes up big when required.

66. DoopsyDiddler says:

Brits in a bit of trouble (if I understand curling).

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Huge trouble now, down 4 is almost insurmountable against a team that can hit like Canada does.

If Scotland is held to 1 in the 4th end, pretty much game over.

• habstrinifan says:

They are curling sh*T arse! Makes the game unworthy(of a gold medal match) to follow. Dont understand why the team didnt use a time out.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Timeouts are for strategy only. The strategy hasn’t been Scotland’s problem, the excecution of shots has been terrible. Right now some of Canada’s top club teams would be beating Scotland.

• habstrinifan says:

Not arguing here. Just asking.

Can you ONLY call a timeout for a specific strategy before your ‘throw’.

Or are you saying timeouts are ‘usually’ used for strategy.

If there is no rule against it, the captain should have ‘called the boys together and the coach’ in a timeout. It was plain to see the entire team was doing sh**t.

Game lost all its drama.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

No I am not arguing either, sorry if tone came across wrong. You can take a timeout whenever you want. But because the games are timed, typically you would only use a timeout for talking strategy on a complex end. Given the misses Scotland have made, taking a breather per se is not going to do anything (in my opinion). There is a break after the 5th end, but it is too late now.

They are done, put a fork in me Gerry, I’m done! (Seinfeld)

67. rhino514 says:

anybody know how serious the injury to Prust is?

• CJ says:

I don’t.

This comment is not meant to be disrespectful to Prust, whom I regard as a warrior and amazing team guy, but as long as he is on this team, the subject of injuries will hang like a cloud over his head.

Not unlike Clarkson, Clowe or Callahan, he plays a style of game that is very much difficult to sustain, without injury, over 82 games plus playoffs.

I think the only thing to be discussed, which you have already raised, will be the severity of the injury so long as he is a part of our team.

68. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Canada with the force on Scotland for 1 in 2nd, 2-1 Can. with Hammer in 3rd, good start for Canada.

• PsyCONADIAN29 says:

Good morning Burly….as I posted in the previous thread:

I really find it difficult to cheer for Canada in curling this year. There’s a young up and coming curler who should be playing by the name of Rocks McFadden. He was brought to Sochi but has had only practice time. It’s a absolute travesty, a slap in the face that he has not seen any action. He should be at least a third on this team. He’s much better than Ryan Fry! What is Curling Canada thinking???
      If they don’t win gold skip Jacobs will be held accountable. Will he be coming to Montreal soon so we can all boo him and make him feel bad????

:-)

A few thoughts on today’s game.

– Time to stop talking about PK Subban and start talking about Carey Price. The gold medal may well rest on his shoulders, not the play of a 6th or 7th Dman.

– Missing Stamkos and Tavares is going to be a huge detriment for TC. If the US had Kessel and Kane out of the line-up, it still wouldn’t be equivalent to what Canada has lost for this game.

– Crosby has been the best player in the world the past five years so it’s time for him to shake loose and shine. It may not be fair to put that pressure on just one player but Canada won’t win unless he is stellar today. He’s going to be seeing a lot of David Backes in the next few hours.

– The trap crap of the past five games should not be a factor today. I expect a full out barnburner that will feature a game played with more speed, intensity and scoring. The US will come out of the gate like a shot out of hell. Having said that, both teams will still be playing on the bigger ice surface. The team that adapts the best just might come out on top.

– Babcock is going to insert Duchene into Tavares’s centre position on the 4th line. Is this the best strategy? Would it not be better to put Bergeron there and try and create a shutdown line?

– This brings me to my next point. Who is going to shadow the hot line of Kessel, Pavelski and JVR? If Babcock sticks with his present line formations, I really can’t see any unit ready to take on that role. Babcock will probably tap the Toews line for this assignment but then that gives up some firepower that Canada can’t really afford to lose.

– Speaking of Coach Babcock, it’s time to start altering playing time for certain individuals and shorten the bench during the second half of the game. Let’s fine tune the line-up like a coach would in an NHL play-off game.

– The refereeing for hockey has been abysmal so far during the Olympics. Look no further than how the last ten minutes of yesterday’s game worked out. That’s a tough way to miss out on a gold medal. Today’s refs are Kelly Sutherland and Brad Meier. Canada has only 7 PP opportunities so far in four games. Makes it kind of difficult to unleash some of that elite fire-power.

– Here’s a great article on Canada and the Olympic hockey mindset. If Canada wins, will there be joy or just a sense of relief?

– Haley Wickenheiser should carry the flag for the closing ceremonies. What a stellar Olympic record for a 35 year old that has shown such great skill, perseverance and leadership. Six appearances and five medals. Truly outstanding.
    P.S. She was also just elected by her peers to the Olympic Committee.

• Cal says:

I am expecting another dull as dishwater performance. Price will play great, but I see Canada on the short end of the stick today. I hope I am wrong, but the way the Idiot Three have coached this team, I don’t expect a good game. I expect a 4-0 loss.

• Captain aHab says:

So the forwards can’t score. Is playing Hamhuis tantamount to admitting that you won’t score much so you would rather be prepared to play the PK instead of adding a piece to add to the PP?

I agree that the 7th d-man should not be an issue but this makes no sense to me. Are you that worried that in the very few minutes Subban would get as a 7th d-man, he would screw up THAT much? If so, why even bring him? Bring another safe guy.

No doubt in my mind that if Canada loses 3-2 or 4-3, Price will get blamed regardless of how he played. CBC/TSN are just waiting to pounce and are likely distraught that he hasn’t given them much to complain about yet. This is particularly bad for them since they can’t hate on Subban much.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

70. Sportfan says:

LOL one of yesterdays heroes!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

71. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Go Canada Go!

72. Strummer says:

I was first so Obama owes me a 2-4, none of this industrial grade Bud crap I might add

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

73. Thurston says:

Heard an American sports talk show host say he wants the U.S. to win badly today to shut up the “cocky” Canadians and give a “face wash to an entire country.” That makes me want Canada to win even more.

74. Strummer says:

US will bring their “A” game, Canada will bring their “Eh” game . Monster tilt eh?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

75. Strummer says:

Karlsson is positively Subban-esque!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

76. DoopsyDiddler says:

Now. It’s 2-1 Sweden after two. Swedish keeper (who is it Niemi or Lethonen?) let in two bad goals.

77. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Finnish Keeper, Lethonen, Rask out with Flu.

78. UKRAINIANhab says:

ya where the f was “jvr”.

79. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Frankly, I think you and the other anti-free speech gang should shut up. They won 1-0 and you’re acting like Babcock is Scotty Bowman. Great win but it could have easily gone the other way.

80. Cal says:

Too bad it’s likely the NHL won’t be.
    That’s why I’m so pissed.

81. Habs4LifeInTO says:

I thought of Gainey too and how he must have smiled during and after today’s game. No one was a bigger supporter of CP. Gainey was much maligned but had his moments both as a player and as a GM and coach (as you’ve rightly noted).

24 cups and counting….

82. CH Marshall says:

I still believe Gauthier had more to do with the Mcdonaugh-Gomez deal than Gainey did, though Bob put his stamp on it.

83. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Still trying to forget about that nightmare. :(

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

84. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Oh My, I think it was June 30, 2009 when I heard about the Gomez deal. My Family and I were driving down to Ottawa that day or maybe the day after and talking about how dumb the whole idea was. For me the worse part was Mc Donaugh going too. I am still pained when I see how good that kid has become. I so wanted to see him in a Habs jersey….

24 cups and counting….

85. Phil C says:

I remember Gainey having a press conference defending Price at one point, saying how obvious to him and anyone who knows hockey how good Price is and how good he will be. Say what you want about Gainey, but he knew Price would be good, even if he didn’t bring him into the league properly.

86. Maritime Ronn says:

There is no team in the world that would not have Duncan Keith as their #1 left side Dman.

87. tophab says:

try and get something right. the best dman in the world is in the stands,the other 7 are not as good.

88. montrealtilldeath says:

Don Cherry pointed it out. As for” caught napping” if Sweden gets first goal then we are into trap trap trap. I am simply poiting out that Team Canada should not sart the gola medal ceremony to early. By thye way the Fenwick scores validate my point about Keith

89. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Where the heck was Kessel today?

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

90. Maritime Ronn says:

I took out my decoder and there’s a chance the Hword might be a former Hab whose name almost rhymes with Shellac.

91. frontenac1 says:

How about that kid who gave up his spot so his team mate could win Gold in speed skating?

92. DoopsyDiddler says:

You’re great.

93. Habfan10912 says:

Most of those posters that I saw here were Canadians. They were hollering for Babcock’s throat while pointing to the US goal scoring capability.

Perhaps you’re referring to a different site? I saw no such bravado from Americans on this site.

94. sheds88 says:

quit being so american

95. habstrinifan says:

I would give USA a pass on consolation game. Canada would have had the same psychological letdown.

96. D Mex-iCanadian says:

I think it was Silver, but yes it was a great gesture, especially with his family having traveled there to cheer him on.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

97. Gerry H says:

Gil Junio. Great choice. True Olympic spirit.

98. UKRAINIANhab says:

ITS HOCKEY!!!!!!!! Its our game! Silver is no good for Hockey. Babcock will look foolish if we do not win it all with a Norris D man sitting out.

99. UKRAINIANhab says:

Did not know Burke was on the ice…

100. The Jackal says:

Can you give it a rest with that?
    Keith won the Norris, Doughty and Weber are Pietrangelo are perennial contenders. Such a bore to keep hearing complains about PK and how it reflects on Babcock. Guess what? It does not reflect on Babcock. He has a plan that has been paying dividends and it is evident in the way Canada clears the zone and is outstanding defensively that the 3L and 3R is a good idea worth sticking to. Babcock has to pick between the best defensemen on the planet and he chose the guys he wants, that’s not a knock on PK in any way and should we lose it will not be because Babcock did not play PK.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

101. Strummer says:

Quite right- perhaps they could ask the tournament’s leading scorer ( hint: #81) where he was for the last 120 minutes?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

102. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ok. Im just saying it will work if we win gold. If we win Silver it failed.

103. The Jackal says:

That doesn’t really follow though.
    Silver is not a failure, it is disappointing but it’s still an accomplishment.
    There are many good teams that can contend with Canada and it is a single elimination game tournament, sometimes shit happens.
    Gold is always preferable but silver is not a failure.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

104. PsyCONADIAN29 says:

With the friggin complaining here you’d think this team was 0-5, not 5-0.
    I’m a huge PK fan and I wish he was playing 20 minutes a game but that’s just the way it is.
    Babcock has won a Stanley Cup, World Championship and a Gold Medal. His record stands for itself.

105. 1010 says:

While I agree with the meat of your argument I do not agree that, for the vast majority of players and fans, silver is a failure. They will have lost. By your argument, although logical, bronze is not a failure either. Tell that to the Americans. Who didn`t give a damn about what transpired against Finland. Not winning tomorrow is failure. The whole PK thing aside.

GO HABS…

106. 1010 says:

Messed up. Make that, silver is a failure.

No kidding. Canada would have been the same (and they were in the past). Nothing but gold matters (if that) to these guys.

108. The Jackal says:

K we get it, you hate the US.
    No need to rub it in.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

109. Cal says:

They had Selanne’s final game for his country, as captain. If that isn’t a reason to go for it, nothing is.

110. CJ says:

I feel that way about the NBA. College ball is totally different. Give it a shot. Two of the best teams in the country, at one of the best venues in all of sports.

111. UKRAINIANhab says:

Does not beat the carrier dome! For football and basketball the dome is awesome

112. CJ says:

I’ve been to the dome, which I agree is amazing for basketball. It’s nothing special for football, but the aluminum bleachers make it loud for a small stadium (football configuration).

113. UKRAINIANhab says:

I went for Clemson. Crowd was rockin. Even Boeheim says we are a football school (historically)

114. CJ says:

Good for the crowd. I’d have lost interest in that blow out. He is right about the football tradition. Great number 44, Brown, Davis, Czonka, Little….

Pretty dry recently though.

115. UKRAINIANhab says:

Haha. Was not preety, but was good to see the crowd fill in like it used to! We are almost back to getting good again : )! Next year most of us at our Syracuse edition of Hockey inside Out are predicting a 8-4 season which would be great in the 2nd season in the acc. I also would not call bowl wins 3/4 seasons “dry”

116. CJ says:

It’s not the quantity of wins, it’s the quality. The Big East was an amazing basketball conference, but since Miami and BC left, the football has fallen to below average. Syracuse, outside of conference play, just hasn’t been very good over the past ten years.

It was a football school, but since McNabb left, it’s been lean. Beating Minnesota this year in a third tier bowl is great, but let’s be honest, they are a fraction of what they once were.

117. UKRAINIANhab says:

I agree CJ. But it is improving. 6-6 first year in the ACC is nothing to ignore with a first year head coach.