Liveblog: Olympic Games, gold-medal game: Canada 3, Sweden 0

Another golden day for Canada!

For the second straight Olympics, Canada has won Olympic hockey gold.

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price picked up his second straight shutout as Team Canada beat Sweden 3-0 Sunday in the gold-medal game at the Sochi Olympics. Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz scored the goals.

Price made 24 saves for his second straight shutout and allowed only three goals in five starts in Sochi. Price was named the tournament’s outstanding goaltender after posting a 5-0 record with a 0.59 goals-against average and .972 save percentage. He allowed only three goals on 106 shots in Sochi.

Canada becomes the first back-to-back gold-medal winner since the NHL started sending players to the Olympics in 1998.

HI/O’s Mike Boone was blogging live during the game along with Postmedia News writers Bruce Arthur, Cam Cole and Sean Fitz-Gerald in Sochi and Michael Traikos and Josh Visser in Canada. You can read the blog by clicking here

(Photo by Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press)

Canada wins hockey gold, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Price savours his golden Olympic moment, by Ed Willes of Postmedia News

Habs fans need to let Subban snub go, by Mike Boone

A great win, but not a great game, by Jack Todd

Live gold-medal game blog with Mike Boone

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1. ahabsfanoutwest says:

I have heard over and over Toews for MVP because of his golden goal.

Since when did ‘golden goal’ become GWG.

Golden goal is a soccer term meaning a GWG goal scored in overtime.

Our MVP is Carey Freakin’ Price. When a goalie looks like he hasn’t moved since the beginning of the game and made 30 or so shots in a shutout, it’s because he has mastered the art of goalie positioning. On the large ice surface, that’s saying something. His calmness spilled over onto the team and they fed off him. Look, everyone played lights out, but Carey was priceless. (sorry, couldn’t help it.)

Leo

2. BJ says:

I wonder if Markov will still be a Habs by trading deadline. by the way anyone know when they can star trading again?

3. rhino514 says:

Is the fact Tinordi being called up instead of Beaulieu more good or bad?
    It´s disconcerting that Beaulieu would regress in Hamilton. I am still noy sold on this kid.
    Good on Tinordi, though. Perhaps he is one of those D who doesn´t put up much in the way of stats but who can be dominant defensively. ) points all year in Hamilton sure isn´t anything to write home about.

4. Ron says:

New thread is up..

5. C-Sword says:

Price did not make the difference, he did not have to, he just had to be there when needed, his most difficult game was against Latvia, it was probably hard for him to stay focused when the puck was always in the other zone, he could have lost focus and allowed a 2nd goal, the outcome of that game might have been different then, cause it would have been the first time the team would have played while trailing behind. He made saves look easy, because he was always calm and used his size to his advantage, he did not hesitate to freeze the puck to slow down the pace and mess with the rhythm of the opposing teams. At the end of the day, hockey is a team effort, everyone on the ice has to do their part, you don’t win with goaltending alone.

I liked how Team Canada was made of cup winners, there’s always at least one canadian who stands out in every Stanley Cup winning team.

Stevie Y won’t be team Canada GM next olympics – http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444517

7. Hobie Hansen says:

I would like to see all the Carey Price doubters come forward this week and admit just how little they know about judging talent. From the so called Habs fans and certain members of the media who have dumped on him, none of them know their ass from their elbow!

I couldn’t believe my ears when people actually blamed Price for any of that gong show last year in the playoffs! The Montreal defence was and still is absolutely terrible!!!!

From Raphael Diaz, Francis Bouillon, Andrei Markov hoping around on one leg and Josh Gorges playing one good game followed by three awful ones, the Canadiens defence did and still does suck!

Price just proved that he’s one of the top three goaltenders in the world ladies and gentleman!

Hopefully Jared Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu and Greg Pateryn correct the BS! Enough with the average to Smurf size defencemen scrambling for their lives in front of Price. Get some more big boys back there who are steady!

• Timo says:

I am sorry… are you saying that Raphael Diaz, Francis Bouillon, Josh Gorges and one legged Markov is not the same as Doughty, Keith, Weber and even Pietreangelo?

On the serious note, you have to admit that Price did let in a few stinkers of his own, however, the loss in the playoffs was not on him. He didn’t have a team in front of him at all.

8. Denjen says:

Happy to watch Canada capture the gold. Been reading all your posts and i can’t help but laugh as i do after each Habs game. love all you guys,tons of passion.My thoughts on Carey-he did his job and was solid! If he let in even just 1 bad goal, Canada may have had a different outcome with the way the game is played on big ice, they did win 3 games by 1 goal one of which in OT. But he didn’t allow that goal ,and, all of Canada now is not going off on him questioning his skill set and his ability to perform on the big stage including many posters on this site! That being said- he did not in anyway have as difficult a job as some of the other goaltenders due to the team in front of him. Much like Brodeur in Jersey for over a decade did not face more than 18 or 20 shots a night with 90% or more coming from perimeter areas of the ice.Brodeur was really rarely called upon to win games over a 10 year period he just needed to do his job,which he did and they won-alot. Congrats to this remarkable team with its many Allstars in their varied roles including my favourite player on this team PK Subban! ready to read your replies lol

What kind of substance did Backstrom test positive for? Did Front send it to him?

10. naweed235 says:

Ok phewwww… The reason why Tinordi was a scratch is because he is called up by the Habs and NOT b/c he is getting traded!

11. jrshabs1 says:

Tinordi just called up..who is on the way out?

MOAR BIGGAR!!!!!

12. johnnylarue says:

The gold medal business is all well and good, but am I the only guy who threw up in his mouth a little bit after finding out Tinordi’s a healthy scratch in Hamilton today?

If someone can suggest a plausible reason for this, other than Tiny being implicated in an imminent trade, I’m all ears/eyes.

Otherwise, my one-line open letter to Marc Bergevin:

“The return had better be DAMNED good.”

• johnnylarue says:

And it better not half-rhyme with “porte-manteau”…

• Timo says:

Given Bergevin’s record I wouldn’t hold my breath. Does Christian Thomas has an even smaller brother?

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

That IS curious, I would like to know what is up there myself. Perhaps he was just under the weather? Not injured and therefore a “healthy” scratch?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Un Canadien errant says:

Crap, you step away from HIO for a few hours, and all hell breaks loose.

If this was a few weeks ago, we could easily have thought he was on the receiving end of a swift kick in the pants. But he has picked up his game since then from all reports.

Still bruised up from his bout on Friday night? Needed a day off?

• johnnylarue says:

I suppose it’s possible that the “healthy” part of “healthy scratch” is up to interpretation… or perhaps it’s just been miscommunicated by the team.

I know the kid’s ceiling is apparent, but I really think it would be a bad idea to let him go for anything less than a bona fide home run, from an organizational standpoint. The future is noticeably less bright with Tiny out of the picture.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I do think he’s a solid piece to build on, a 200% version of Josh Gorges, but evidently he’s not progressing as fast as we hoped. With his struggles earlier this season, when he was near-invisible, I wouldn’t be too keen to rush him to the bigs. Let him dominate in the AHL, and not just for a couple of weeks, before we shoe-horn him into our roster. Let’s keep focused on the long-term here.

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah. We win Gold and everybody is all f#cked up? Reminds me of back in high school back in the 60″s, some smart ass spiked the Window Pane acid with Rat poison. We were puking all over the gym.

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

We need one of those guys on here who know everything, where are they now?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• habs001 says:

Did they pick up Hamhuis?

• Pieboy says:

Brush your teeth and relax. Reusch speculates the Habs may be calling Tinordi up instead of Beaulieu:

• johnnylarue says:

I’ll settle for “wishfully thinking” this is the case, though it makes absolutely no sense considering how Beaulieu 2014® has changed the complexion of the defence since his last call-up.

Habs NEED Beaulieu in the lineup moving forward, it’s as simple as that.

And with the team not slated to play until Wednesday, since when do they “healthy scratch” a call-up 2+ days in advance? Doesn’t add up.

So what do we call these olympics results’ wise… successful? so-so? a big meh?

I think (though not sure) that Canada got same number of medals as in Van or at least close to it. Given that RUssian bought a bunch of medals and undoubtedly fudged with the venues to increase their chances, let alone train at those venues for years, I’d say Canada did ok. And Russia did as expected.

• johnnylarue says:

Yeah, a top-3 finish is nothing to sneeze at.

A few big opportunities were blown (speed + figure skating come to mind), but overall I can’t see anyone being terribly disappointed with the results.

• Chris says:

Successful. 25 medals, without home-field advantage, is a great result.

It should perhaps have been better had the short-track team not had so many crashes, but that sport is always hard to predict.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

By population, we did better than Putin’s zeks.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Un Canadien errant says:

2010: 14 Gold, 7 Silver, 5 Bronze = 26

2014: 10 Gold, 10 Silver, 5 Bronze = 25

Note that we didn’t have home-field advantage, which plays a critical part in some disciplines. I remember all federations whining they didn’t get enough practice runs at the Whistler Sliding Centre, and it played a big part in the Canadian medal haul, our athletes were more familiar with the track. The Russians did very well on their home track in Sochi.

Also note that we came out pretty even in total medals, but there were more available at these games, with new disciplines and new events. So we got a lower percentage of the medals available.

One thing which makes me happy is that our competitors are getting so many more golds than in the past. We used to be the team that happily settled for bronze.

• Chris says:

I still laugh at the spoof Heritage Minute (I think it was on This Hour Has 22 Minutes, but maybe somewhere else) that played years ago.

They had a Canadian athlete crossing the finish line in Athens in 1896. He looks at the official and asks how placed. The official looked crestfallen and said something like “Sorry, but you finished in 4th place.” The Canadian athlete proceeds to celebrate as if he won the gold medal, and the tag line “A Canadian tradition is born.” flashed at the bottom.

We had an almost uncanny ability to finish in 4th place back in the 1980′s and 1990′s.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That, or come in 12th and the broadcasters would happily announced that this was a personal-best performance, so we really couldn’t ask for more…

I do think that the injection of money for those who perform at a high level, allowing them to not be hobby-athletes, but essentially professional athletes, who dedicate all their time to their sport and training, has been a ‘Games-changer.’

• mrhabby says:

A very good show…excellent.

14. Maritime Ronn says:

Chris says:
    Vlasic is probably one of the top three defensive defencemen in the NHL.
    —————
    With respect, NOT even close!

He was at best a 3rd Left side Dman for Team Canada behind Keith and JBow..
    That would rank him 6th on Team Canada only.

As for the rest of the NHL, he isn’t even close to being Top 10 ” Defensive defenseman” let alone a Top 3 when all others from ALL other countries are considered playing in the NHL.

Defensive defensemen in the NHL?
    There are easily 20 others better playing in the NHL.

• Timo says:

Everyone knows that the best defensive defenseman in the NHL is Douglas Murray

• frontenac1 says:

Agree. PK should have played ahead of Pickles and Hamhuis. Water under the bridge. The Lads Dominated. Ran the table. 6 straight. 3Goals against. Shutouts in the Semis and Final. On the Euro ice. Nuff said eh?
      And The Ladies? Gutsiest comeback of the Games.

• Chris says:

Vlasic was on the team for one reason only: his defence.

Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Weber, Keith, Doughty…those guys all pile up big point numbers, and their ice time reflects it. Vlasic is a different beast. The Sharks always match Vlasic up against the other teams top lines.

Vlasic does not score. He almost never plays on the power play. He blocks shots, but more often than not he is just a dominant positional defenceman. He doesn’t take penalties, he doesn’t get beat with speed, and he makes good outlet passes.

Yzerman obviously saw something in Vlasic and Hamhuis that everybody else didn’t. Babcock, Julien and Hitchcock know defensive hockey, and Vlasic was always on their radar. He didn’t come out of nowhere…he was at the Team Canada selection campl. To get that kind of recognition with a non-existent offensive game, I think it is fair to say that there are not easily 20 better defenders in the NHL.

15. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

I want this Moment to last, but I’m equally ecstatic we don’t get Beiber.

Proudly Enjoying the Gold

16. CJ says:

Brady Vail with a goal, assist and the game’s second star.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I see Brady Vail being the Habs, 3rd or 4th line center in 3 years. Phenomenal attitude, can play both ends of the ice. Kind of like a Brian Skrudland with maybe a little more talent.

17. DoopsyDiddler says:

We may be the worst polluters on earth.

Our universities and educational system may be in steep decline.

Our reputation for tolerance and openness to new ideas may mostly be a thing of the past.

Our economy may be more dependent on digging stuff out of the ground than inventing and creating.

But we can still beat the rest of the world at a game they don’t play very much.

• Timo says:

Worst polluters? You have got to be kidding. Have you ever heard of countries named China, India, Russia and USA, to name a few?

• Chris says:

You might be surprised how high we are on a per capita basis. All the major oil producing nations are up near the top of the carbon emission totals. We’re one of the worst when it comes to greenhouse gases as a whole. We also have one of the biggest environmental footprints.

And it is generally getting worse.

• Timo says:

Per capita is a bit misleading, isn’t it? Will be become less of polluters if population were to increase 10 fold? I don’t pretend to have studied the topic much but I am judging by things such as… you can’t effing breath in China, their water is generally not drinkable, the dump everything in their rivers, same goes for India. Russia – Chernobyl, lake Baikal, vast mining areas in the east, their oil patch isn’t any better… etc. (I better stop before I get labeled as ignorant racist or something)

• Chris says:

Per capita is definitely misleading, but I think it is a question people need to ask themselves more.

Can everybody live the way I do?

The answer is, of course, no. Not even close. To support the average Canadian’s living standards, we would need something like 5 Earths.

Back to the original point, it depends on how you interpret it. Are Canadians among the world’s worst polluters? Yes, individually. If we scaled up to China’s population, Canada would be a toxic soup.

The counter-argument is that we have kept our population low, so our pollution isn’t as big of a deal.

Either argument holds water. My own tendency is to go with the former, as so much of our living standard is contingent on other people footing the bill for our lifestyle. China has more lax industrial pollution standards, so popular North American brands exploit that so that we can get cheaper gadgets. We don’t have to live in the toxic mess, but we sure are complicit in its creation.

• frontenac1 says:

I’m polluted every day. Guilty as charged. Viva La Revolucion!

So, I know that’s the topic we now have to discuss until Wednesday… is Halak still better than Price?

Was out all day with my kiddo… is the closing ceremony worth watching? I have it PVR’d but wondering if I am better off just going to bed early today or watch the ceremony. Any cool Russian bands, like these two lesbian girls… forgot their name.

20. FanSince1969 says:

Wasn’t Doug Harvey more of an offensive defenseman of his times? Doug Harvey – Bobby Orr – Larry Robinson – (argument for Guy Lapointe) Paul Coffey are all offensive D

I would change best offensive defenseman trophy to Bobby Orr.

What name would e suitable for best defensive defenseman?

• Chris says:

I can’t comment on him too extensively, as I was born after his career, but everything I’ve seen had Harvey as the most dominant defender of his era. I’ve seen it written that Harvey was always a little resentful of the attention Orr got because he reined his own offence back to ensure that the other team got nothing.

I don’t think you’d see too many players or coaches from that era dispute Harvey as the best defensive defenceman in his era but maybe some of our older posters can address this better.

• frontenac1 says:

I have seen them all play live and nobody could control a game like Harvey. He was amazing. Bobby Orr was more lethal in the offensive zone imo. Harvey is my all time favourite though.

• BJ says:

Agreed on your evaluation, I also saw him play numerous times. He dictated the pace of a game with puck control, he slowed the game down and then could pick it up with offensive rushes. He also had a good shot from the point but he was mostly a superb passer. I met him and went to his apartment a few times on Cote des neiges and also visited him when he lived in a parked caboose at Connaught Raceway.
        A unique person and character.

• Maritime Ronn says:

^^^^
        Listen to The Master FRONT

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

Craig Ludwig?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Different era. Harvey could control a game but I don’t think we can call him an offensive defenceman. Orr was fortunate Michel Therrien or Mike Babcock weren’t his coaches.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

21. icky pop says:

Why was subban, a healthy scratch, dressed for the game?

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

He got dressed afterwards for the medal presentation. Same as Mike Smith. Tavares was on crutches and did not gear up

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

22. Ktowner says:

My two cents on Price’s performance. So many seem to think it was just the great defense and/or the team commitment to responsible hockey, short shifts, unselfish play etc.
    The thing about Price is that injects confidence in his position to the rest of the team. Early in the game when he makes a great save, the bench responds having confidence and respect. It elevates their game and feeds the whole team concept.
    The other thing is how absolutely cool he is under pressure. This coolness also inspires confidence in the rest of the team.
    Not many other goaltenders can do all that especially on an international stage.
    Best goaltender in the tournament, best goaltender in the NHL, best goaltender in the world.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Ktowner, I believe the team’s commitment to defense and being unselfish was the difference. It has to be that way as the days of Canada completely dominating the world stage in hockey are behind us. But I believe we are still the best when we play the team concept.

You are right though, Price was rock solid and inspired confidence from the rest of the team.

• Ktowner says:

I do agree that the team commitment to responsible play in all three zones was the difference, I was getting quite disturbed at the “any goalie could have played” type of comments.
        My goalie son and I had a real nice discussion about the game (he watch at his home I at mine) and we both agreed that the unselfish style of play that all Team Canada players and staff bought into was very refreshing to see.
        If only our Habs could bring that attitude to each and every game that cup #25 would be there.

23. SmartDog says:

3 THINGS HABS D LEARNED WATCHING:
    1. Don’t run around like chickens. Ever. Just don’t!
    2. Let Price see the puck. And try not to fall on him. Really, don’t.
    3. Dump and chase is a LAST resort. JOIN the attack, don’t fling crap at it.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Habcouver BLEEDSMAPLESYRUP

…I just woke up out here on the The Other Side Of Reality

…the last I remember, I had not slept for 36 hours, not wanting to sleep at the usual time as I knew if I did I would never wake up to see the game live

…glad You have already written most of what I was going to say, so I don’t have to

• Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Thanks sleep-deprived Habitant! I was so afraid of missing the game (at my buddy’s place in Steveston) due to the road conditions from the snowfall, I pvr’d the game on BOTH CBC stations (both, just in case one recording failed).
      I had like 2 hours sleep before The Game and I consider myself lucky :) .

How’s the snow in Surrey?

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

25. Cape Breton says:

PK should have been in, just as good as Humie, whatever his name is, from the Canucks. And when is Vaslak, whatever his name is, (I don’t even know what team he plays for) ever gonna win a Norris? Answer: Never!

Nonetheless, Congrats to Carey, PK, Humie, Vaslak and the rest of Team Canada!!!!!

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I was hoping that Babcock would have a change of heart and Subban would be dressed for the gold medal game but no such luck. I’m sure he’ll get more playing time in 4 years.

• Chris says:

Vlasic is probably one of the top three defensive defencemen in the NHL. He fully deserved to be on that team, and his play demonstrated that Yzerman didn’t make a mistake.

If they created a trophy for the best defensive defenceman (hey Geoff Molson…the Habs donated the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Memorial Trophy, so how about a Doug Harvey Memorial Trophy?), Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Dan Hamhuis would both be finalists.

• mrhabby says:

He played and no one hardly mentioned his name which in my books is great. He was steady and very strong, consistent.

• frontenac1 says:

Now you’re talking amigo! A Doug Harvey Trophy! I like that.

• Chris says:

I’m a little surprised the Habs haven’t done something like this. I would love to see the Doug Harvey Memorial Trophy for the top defensive defenceman, the Bobby Orr Trophy for the top offensive defenceman and the Norris Trophy could then go to the guy that the voters thinks is the most valuable defenceman to his team.

It would give the defencemen a trio of trophies similar to the Art Ross, Selke and Hart Trophies (which almost always go to forwards). If they want to keep the Hart Trophy as most valuable overall player, make a Wayne Gretzky Trophy for the Most Valuable Forward, or something like that.

I love that the NHL has so many individual awards, and there is certainly room for a few more.

• Cape Breton says:

I’m a diehard fan Chris(Center Ice package and Hockey News subscriber) but haven’t clue who this Vlasak guy plays for. Help me out will ya?

• Chris says:

San Jose Sharks. He looked like he might have some offensive talent coming out of junior (played for Patrick Roy in Quebec), and he had a couple of decent early years. He and Hamhuis are very similar: both had early promise as PP quarterbacks, but both have settled into defensive stopper roles.

For the past 2-3 years, Vlasic, Hamhuis, Girardi, McDonagh and Weber have been tossed about as the best defensive defencemen in the league.

• Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Good point Chris, I couldn’t agree with you more about Pickles.
        I’m glad he received the recognition on the Olympic stage.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

26. Strummer says:

Nice thing about the Olympics is the showcasing of non-NHL talent out there.
    Radulov and Komarov have been discussed earlier.
    Maybe the crack Habs scouting department was watching and can uncover some gems for the future.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

27. SmartDog says:

I disagree with all youse guys – even Chris!
    All I’m saying is without Price, and a bounce the wrong way in ONE of THREE games, and it’s all different. And Yzerman is a putz, not a hero.

Yah the defence was amazing, incredible, outstanding! But they still let guys through and Price was lights out – a .97 save percentage and key stops when needed en route to gold. Respec dat!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

28. mrhabby says:

Now that the games are over and reality sets back in…it will be very interesting what the NHL decision will be on participating in the next games. We’re all sure Bettman is feeling alot of heat from some owners having the rinks dark and the injury issue rearing its ugly head.

• Coach K says:

I dunno. I think its all a smokescreen.

Seems to me these owners have no problem keeping the rinks dark for months on end or an entire season for that matter when it suits them. So I can’t see 2 weeks in February, 4 years from now being too much of a financial hardship for them. If as a manager, you can’t plan around a two week absence then you’re not much of a manager (regardless what business you’re in). And these guys are billionaires who didn’t get that wealthy by accident.
      Could you imagine the wrath the greedy buggers would face from Canadian fans alone should they say no? I think the only way it doesn’t happen is if the players don’t want to participate. These guys have an inherently competitive spirit that makes me doubt they would turn down the opportunity to write history.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

29. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Having watched the game (real time) with friends, and thereafter having a much needed nap, I have not yet read any posts from esteemed HIO members, so excuse the likely repetition of emotions and comments already covered.

1) Our boys peaked today, and learned from the few such errors in past games. Great zone coverage, no blatant turnovers or odd man rushes, short shifting, and never sitting on the lead they built up.

2) All the credit to the Brains (Yzerman et al.) for bringing together this group of players that had the skills, atitude and mindset to willingly play as a team. As couch managers, we are entitled to our opinions and personally I enjoy reading the many plausible views. I’m sure a few of you now say that you always trusted the Brains throughout the Olympic journey, too; I admittedly was not one.

3) I will look at the players like Carter, Benn, Weber and Vlasic in a different, more respected light. Even though they oppose my beloved Canadiens, they will and should be highly regarded as Canadians!

4) Finally, words cannot describe how happy I am for Carey Price and his family in B.C. After this post, I hope to read about the all the deserved praise given to Pricey (and the team, including PK) for the huge effort and making are dream a reality.

5) To all, I hope this game was a “Where Were You?” Moment in your lives. It was in mine.

Excitedly Basking in the Gold!

30. Say Ash says:

Hey, PK has won as many gold medals as Mike Richards. Respek!

31. Saintpatrick33 says:

@ Chris What I’m saying is that Rask played well and so did Lunquist but Price was better and no I don’t think Rask would have played the same way if he played for Canada. He wasn’t in the top 5 for save percentage or GAA. You talk about his 4 GAA performance like it didn’t really count or matter in the grand scheme of things when it did. You’re talking in hypotheticals I’m backing my argument up with stats. Price was the best period he was damn near flawless man what more do you want?

Just because he wasn’t shelled with shots doesn’t mean he wasn’t the best goalie.

• Chris says:

If we’re going on stats, than Jonas Hiller’s performance with Switzerland should have had him ahead of Rask and Lundqvist and right there with Price. But I don’t hear his name bandied about too much.

Like I said, I think they all played well. I just felt that Canada’s team defence was the story, not their goaltending. I think people are misconstruing this as a shot against Price. It was in no way meant that way. Other than the Latvia game (I did not think Price looked confident in the first half of that game and I was **dreading** a shoot-out), Price looked amazing.

I just based my thoughts on the games I watched and the stops I saw. I felt like Rask made a lot more tough saves in situations that were just as pressure-filled as what Price faced. Rask gave up more goals, but I still thought he played a bigger impact in his team’s success than Price did.

The funny thing is that so many people are complaining about the same arguments being applied to Price as are commonly applied to other goalies in the NHL (and Jaroslav Halak VERY much jumps to mind here). It has been okay to overlook the statistics of Halak, Craig Anderson or Corey Crawford because they don’t face as many tough chances as Carey Price in the NHL, but it isn’t okay to do the same in international hockey? People need to be consistent.

Price was awesome. So was Rask. I liked Rask more in the tournament, you liked Price more. I’m totally down with that.

I’d be happy with either guy on Montreal. They are both safely in the top 5 of NHL goalies and rising (my other 3 right now are Lundqvist, who is falling, Niemi, who is horrifically underrated, and Quick, who is falling).

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Totally agree, loved at how hard the forwards backchecked and their commitment to defense. Defense is a team thing, Price was very solid but he did not have to spectacular.

• Chris says:

I’m not sure that I’ll ever see a team that dominates defensively like this version of Team Canada. The closest I can think of was the 2005 World Junior team, when they benefit hugely from the lockout and had all their big guns out to play.

• CJ says:

I agree with you Chris, expect on Craig Anderson. Not sure how he made your list. He was full credit last year. Not much help defensively.

• Chris says:

I agree, but there were a lot of fans of other teams questioning his candidacy for the Vezina Trophy last season despite his excellent play.

• CJ says:

They should drag themselves out to the rink. Anderson was at a different level last year. I still say he was the biggest reason we lost to the Sens in five games. Injuries were a distant second IMO.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I disagree with you but hey Canada won I’m happy for Price and Subban

32. Sportfan says:

Here’s my final Olympic article check it out ! Let us know how you will remember these Olympics on the comment section in the link.

33. frontenac1 says:

Any of you amigos with XM radio,Todd Lewis is broadcasting Live from Hurleys on the NHL network. Sounds like a blast in there. Saludos!

34. CJ says:

Interesting comments out of Hamilton. Tinordi is a healthy scratch this afternoon. This on the heels of him playing his best hockey of the season. Roster freeze is lifted at midnight tonight.

Lots of speculation that Tinordi is coming up…..

Can’t wait to talk Habs hockey tomorrow. I have a feeling changes are ahead. Just my two cents…

• Phil C says:

GMs have had a lot of time to talk deals in the last two weeks…either coming up or traded?

• CJ says:

I think he’s coming up. As noted, I think there are pending moves ahead. Derek Wills, on the Bulldogs broadcast, suggested today that he is going to be called up when the roster freeze is lifted. I have no inside knowledge, however, based on his play the past month, he is capable of making a difference at the NHL level.

• Chris says:

For who? Beaulieu seemed like a lock to return, and they need him more than Tinordi.

The Habs still have a numbers problem now that the roster freeze is lifted. Travis Moen and Alex Galchenyuk are both due back imminently, perhaps as soon as the Detroit game. David Drewiske is practicing and must come off the IR. If Beaulieu comes back up, the Habs have 24 bodies. Drewiske will probably get waivered to Hamilton, but that would mean Tinordi for Beaulieu.

• habsgod says:

prust is out with an upper body injury

• scotland says:

tinordi while not on his way to be an nhl star d. he is better than gorges right bow. better than boulion and murray.

he should play at the no 5 position.

therev is nothing that gorges does that tinordi cannot do. but there are things that tinordi can do that gorges cannot.

but al long as therrien is head coach i would prefer to see nono of the prospects coming up and playing for him.

• Chris says:

Tinordi had to work big time on his reads and his pivots…he was very weak when guys drove him to the outside late last season and at the start of this season.

Everything I’ve heard is that he’s improved dramatically in Hamilton, so I’d be happy to see him again. But I think Beaulieu’s puck movement is a much more important component to the Habs’ defence, and they aren’t likely to waiver a veteran, so that leaves one of Beaulieu or Tinordi with a job.

I would definitely take Tinordi ahead of Douglas Murray or Francis Bouillon, but he’d be behind Subban, Markov, Emelin and Gorges on my depth chart at this point in time. That will hopefully change very rapidly, as the Habs need him to jump up to take 20 minutes of defensive minutes.

• naweed235 says:

man you are getting me nervous… If there is one prospect in our system I don’t want traded it’s Tinordi… Let’s hope that’s not what’s happening unless we got Shae Weber coming this way :)

• monmick is Canadian says:

What would be the purpose of scratching him today if he is coming up tomorrow? I could see him being scratched if he is part of an impending deal; but for a call-up?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Chris says:

That doesn’t make much sense to me either…they sent Beaulieu down to get him more playing time. I would think they would be happy to get Tinordi as much time as possible. The Habs don’t play until Wednesday, so they couldn’t be worried about him being tired after playing today.

35. JUST ME says:

Once the dust settles and leaves it to time to do its job we are going to wonder how the…a team can allow only 3 goals in a tournament. This team was one of the best in history but if you look at individual stats it does not show.

Sweden and Finland will be there in 4 years.
    U.S.A. needs to look outside their navel…(as usual)
    Russia ? Remains to be seen but they need a major overhaul.

February the 23 rd and for the first time in my life i already know what i want for christmas. I want a Doughty ! Willing to do sacrifices and be a good boy all year long !

• Strummer says:

USA missed the gold medal game by a tip-in. They’re no worse-off than the other contenders.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

True, but the stinker that they phoned in while there was still a medal on the line would definitely make me think differently about their team character.

• The Juice says:

@Strummer…say what? Even if Benn’s “tip in” misses the net, its still 0-0…USA needed more help than that!!

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”
        @JohnnytheJuice

36. habsgod says:

A huge hockey lesson has been learnt by the U.S. national team today. You don’t invite Leaf players to join your team. They have no pride, no heart and they bring an incurable disease for losing along with them.

37. SmartDog says:

Dudes! I am not trying to piss in the wind here.

But I’m not gonna fall over myself congratulating Yzerman OR Babcock. This was not a fait accompli. We had the best team by far. We dominated in terms of puck possession. But we STILL almost lost to Latvia! AND the Finns! AND we only squeaked by the US.

Congrats to one and all – but I’m looking forward to a management change of the guard and putting the very best players on the ice – Subban included.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• JUST ME says:

3 goals ! The let in 3 goals ! How can you ask and expect this team to be better ? I mean this is so demoralizing to read…

• SmartDog says:

Yah, and just ONE more against either the US or Finland or Latvia(!!!) and we’re all saying ‘what went wrong?’!

The PLAYERS won the tournament, not Yzerman. And I give credit to the full management team too – coaches especially – who pulled it off. But I still don’t agree with the strategy from above.

And it’s not about Subban, but Subban should’ve played. He would’ve brought offensive firepower that was needed. St. Louis was one of the best players today but was left off the team.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

SmartDog, I could not disagree more, the management team did a great job putting this team together, it takes different types of players to win, not just the most talented. Fortunately our management team realized that.

• SmartDog says:

It does take different types of players. I’m just saying we won by a razor’s edge… everyone’s acting like we dominated just because we won the final game 3-0 … and against a team that had lost it’s best 3 centers (one just before the game)!

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

38. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

No question Carey put in the best performance of the tournament, regardless of who was playing in front of him. The only goals scored on him were two severe deflections and a trick-play breakaway on which if the puck doesn’t roll on end, we’re talking three shutouts in a row and a tournament GAA of .333.

• SmartDog says:

Price was outstanding. Unbelievable. The MVP for sure. Without him we’re gone, I mean it.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• naweed235 says:

Price was absolutely fantastic. But it’s sort of pushing it to say that he was the reason we won those games. I’m sure lot of other goalies could’ve gotten similar results with the tight D that the team was playing.

• SmartDog says:

With this team and this strategy, if Price wasn’t 100% solid, we lose to the Finns, Latvia, or the US. Or Sweden.

Agree or disagree?

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Just look at the scores. A single mistake in any game could very well have taken us on the path to a bronze, or even no medal. And he did it on the world’s biggest stage.

• naweed235 says:

I agree that the possibility of losing to any of those teams was definitely there… after all, this is hockey and a bad rebound here, a brain fart there can turn things upside down in a heartbeat.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

No doubt Price was very solid, but he did not have to be spectacular. The team defense was outstanding! How many good chances did Sweden have today? Have many did the Finns have?
            I thought Canada dominated the last 3 games but the scoreboard didn’t necessarily reflect that. The other goalies weren’t bad either.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

That was as close to error-free goaltending as you’ll ever see. Puck tracking, rebound control… the entire package. Rask was really good, too, but the two goals scored on him in the game against Canada were completely stoppable.

• Clay says:

Was a great performance for sure. Honourable mention to the Latvian goalie?

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

39. B says:

Vail’s 31st puts Windsor up 1-0 over the Sting after 1.
    Crisp has an assist, Wolves up 2-1 over Barrie after 1.

–Go Habs Go!–

40. Habilis Canadianis says:

“James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
    Leafs one of only five NHL teams that didn’t have a player win a medal in Sochi.”

Hehehe. Leafs gonna leaf.

41. habstrinifan says:

My impression of the hockey gold. Babcock (and his crew) brought as scientific an approach to the selection/coaching/deployment as I have ever seen.

I am still kinda bewildered by the entire process.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The talent was very easy to choose – a 13 year old with access to nhl.com stats made the exact same selections.

The difference?
      The coaching staff selling of a complete system based on total D all over the 200 foot ice – then the great offensive players buying into that D responsible system, was an almost unbelievable and excellent achievement.

Then again, if a player didn’t buy in, he would have to answer to Toews, Doughty, Weber, and Keith…and yes, I left one guy out.

• habstrinifan says:

I am still too bewildered at how ‘easy’ it really was. And despite the ‘close games’ which were really not… it was.

On top of it the teams with the more intuitive style of play fared the worst against Team Canada.

It will be interesting to see where this takes international hockey. It’s like curling where you rarely see (albeit the few instances in this olympics) a house full of rocks today.

42. Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

Everyone trying to jump on the Price bandwagon..get off..there is no more room for any of you

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Clay says:

What a petty thing to say…

__________________________

• Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

how so? First off its a joke..second I was referring to all the Leaf and Sens fans that are now trying to get on the Price wagon..geezzz lighten up

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

43. Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

For the comments down below about increasing offense/excitement in the game: don’t allow the goalie to freeze the puck. In fact, you could even go back to the REALLY old days and take away the trapper; replace it with a trapper-shaped blocker so that goalies can’t catch the puck.

And while you’re at it, make winning games in regulation worthwhile. 3 points. 2 points of you win in extra time. No loser point. Eliminate the shootout, and bring back the tie… except that neither team would get a point in a tie game. Reward only wins.

44. mfDx says:

A positive note: Subban is relatively well rested for the stretch run, got a chance to scout the league’s top talents in one week, and may have a little chip on his shoulder.
    Detroit or Tampa in the playoffs??
    Norris repeat??

Sent from my CHphone

45. SmartDog says:

GLOBAL DOMINATION THOUGHTS:
    1. PRICE IS MVP. Price should be MVP. Without him, we could’ve lost to Latvia and would have lost to the US. So what if he had a great defense, he still shut out both the Americans and Swedes and finished with a .97 save percentage. Why is this even in discussion?
    2. DOUGHTY IS NO MVP. Anyone who thinks Doughty is an MVP contender didn’t watch that closely IMO. He was great, but compared to Weber and some others he made all kinds of errors, especially in the final game. Weber was THE stud on D.
    3. TSN. The TSN headlines drive me batty (I know I’ve said this before). Today’s is “GOLDEN RULE”. Are you kidding me? How about “CANADA RULES!” or “CANADA WINS” or jebus something NOT stupid.
    4. CBC & CHERRY. Cherry was actually not bad through most of the coverage and in some cases better than others. I was hoping he’d point out that 2 years ago he said Price was the best goalie on the planet since none of the other CBCers were saying much about that. They seemed to think Price was “in the zone”. Toronto a-holes.
    5. SUBBIE DOO. What a great experience for Subban. I love that right after the win he was talking to Babcock and laughing. My guess he was saying “next time you do it again but WITH me”.
    CANADA RULES!

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• CJ says:

No denying Weber is/was a stud, but I, respectfully, see it differently regarding Doughty. He might have made a mistake today, but it would of had to have been minuscule because I didn’t recall seeing it lead to so much as a scoring chance. He created offence, and allowed nothing on defence.

As I said last week, LA is going to be a nightmare first round match up for someone in the playoffs. There is simply too much talent and experience on that roster to be taken lightly.

• SmartDog says:

One Doughty mistake led to their best scoring chance – when they hit the post. He left the front of the net to hit a guy standing still behind it. If that goes in – totally different type of game with Sweden going into a shell and Canada thinking WTF?

He also coughed up the puck a couple of times along the boards. Not saying he wasn’t great, just that he wasn’t as great or consistent as some.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• CJ says:

He is not without fault, no denying that. Overall, I thought he was a big reason that our defence was so solid. Was he better then Weber, maybe, maybe not. Not going to try and split hairs. We are golden and anything else is strictly barroom banter. Cheers, CJ

• Ozmodiar says:

Doughty was pressuring the puck carrier. Vlasic fell down, lost his man. Benn just watched.

Would have been nice if DD (cough) had noticed Vlasic was out of the play, but it wasn’t all on him.

/ don’t listen to Cherry

• Maritime Ronn says:

Doughty-Weber
      Weber-Doughty

In this short international tourney, Doughty was THE all world, 200 foot dominant Dman.
      Who is better?
      I don’t know, yet today they are the 2 best Dmen in the NHL barr none.

• CJ says:

I agree Ronn. They are both unreal. They are the reason I take such exception to Karlsson being named best defencemen.

Maybe he is the best hybrid player in the game, fourth forward so to speak, but not the best defenceman capable in all three zones.

• Maritime Ronn says:

CJ

Both those guys play in the wrong media Conference.
          Doughty plays when the East coast media are sleeping, and no one sees Weber on a constant basis because he plays for Nashville

• Chris says:

Yes, but Doughty and Weber weren’t expected to shoulder the entire offensive load either. Canada’s forwards made Sweden look like a bunch of bantams. The only way Sweden was going to score was by taking risks, and Karlsson is the guy they called upon to do that.

I do agree that Weber and Doughty are probably the top two defencemen in the NHL right now. But Karlsson is an incredibly unique talent: he is the best passing defenceman in the NHL, and he has off the charts vision. He is guilty of trying to do too much, but how much of that is because of what he is told to do by his coaches?

Karlsson would really benefit from playing for a defensive minded coach, but his teams thus far have unfortunately needed him to embrace his Paul Coffey persona.

I’m a little surprised at how much flak Karlsson takes. His defensive deficiencies are constantly pointed out, yet he wasn’t on the ice for any Canadian goals today. He does make mistakes, and he takes risks he probably shouldn’t. On the whole, however, he usually finds a way to cover up for his mistakes, not unlike a certain offensive defenceman on Montreal.

• CJ says:

Chris, with all due respect, I’m guessing you don’t live in Ottawa, or Eastern Ontario. It’s Karlsson, all day, everyday.

Further, when Canada extended play in the offensive zone, he looked like a turnstile. It was only Lundqvist who prevented it from becoming further exposed.

I’m the first to say he is Paul Coffey from his own blue line, down to the opponents net. There isn’t a greater compliment I can possibly pay the kid. However, he often pinches at the expense of his team. The crazy game against the Habs in ottawa perfectly sums up his style of play. Ottawa, up 4-3 with ten minutes to go in the third and he gets caught below the hash marks in Montreal’s end. Pleks goes on a breakaway and scores when Cowan knocks the puck in with his skate. In Ottawa, everyone blames Cowan, but the real issue was Karlsson pinching at the wrong time.

Maybe I’m sour because I hear how great he is everyday. Maybe I’m in the minority and am looking for superficial issues where none exist.

Just my opinion. Cheers, CJ

• Chris says:

CJ: Sadly, not anymore. But I did grow up in Eastern Ontario, and the Senators have always been one of my favourite teams behind Montreal. For proof, I still have the Alexei Yashin jersey my brother got me for my birthday as a teenager. :)

I think he looked like a turnstile today as well, but that is more a testament to how good Team Canada was. Give them their due…they made Niklas Kronwall look like a turnstile throughout the game as well, and he is a very good defender.

• CJ says:

Good points. I agree. Canada was at another level. Although I was never a Sens fan, my folks had season tickets while the team resided at Landsdown park. Thank you for engaging me in the back and forth. I greatly appreciate talking hockey with you. Cheers, CJ

46. JF says:

Despite all the criticisms leveled at Steve Yzerman and Mike Babcock, they got it spectacularly right. From the moment the team assembled in Sochi, Babcock insisted that the priority was playing well defensively. The players bought in and worked on polishing and perfecting their defensive game for the big ice. Canada’s defence was solid from the start and became more so as the tournament advanced. It was pretty well flawless in the last two games.

To concerns about the team’s anemic offence, Babcock replied that if we played well defensively, the offence would take care of itself. He was right there too. Most of the games were close, but we never trailed. The goals came mostly from the defence in the first few games, but the offence got going when it mattered. It was a superb coaching job.

As for P.K., I think that just having been part of the team will be good for him, even though he played in only one game. He will have learned a lot from practicing with that excellent defence; and, like Price the year he served as backup to Halak in the playoffs, he had to focus on being a good teammate. He’ll return motivated to become absolutely the best player he can.

• CJ says:

Hi JF. Good post. I agree with your conclusion. If I might add just one thing; respectfully, the games were close in score only. Team Canada dominated puck possession, zone time, shots and basically any relevant stat, aside from the scoreboard.

Down 2-0 in the third period, the only other undefeated team, the Swedes, were outshot 10-1 before Canada scored the third goal. The score ended 3-0, but this was a dominating performance.

47. D Mex-iCanadian says:

Photo op !
    Big smiles on Carey, PK and the boys :-D

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

48. habsnuts says:

so how much money will MB save when trying to resign PK this summer seeing as he couldn’t crack canada’s top 7???

49. Lafleurguy says:

Chris’s critique of overly defensive hockey tweaks my interest. Axiomatic to this modern era of hockey is that high-level defensive play can win you championships. If the Russian forwards defended anywhere close to how the Latvian and Canadian guys did, they might have medalled and Chris’s pre-tournament pick would have been on the podium. Playing stifling defense can be compared to having bad ice, and predictably, the offensively gifted player will have many proverbial bounce-over-the-stick near-misses. Using Canada’s results against the three strongest opponents, Finland, Sweden, USA, their vastly deeper roster of goal-scoring forwards was worth the equivalent of 1.66 goals a game if one presumes the goaltending and defensemen-play were saw-offs (which was definitely not the case as far as Weber, Doughty, and Co. were concerned). Of Corsi, my opinion sits on the Fenwick for now, and may change if the Stat-Pack cogently argues a package of numbers to sway my opinion.

“I bend but do not break.” – Jean De La Fontaine c.1668

• habstrinifan says:

I think the underlying meticulous selection and deployment technique of Canada’s brass will be a blueprint for years to come.

• Chris says:

That is of course if the NHL releases its players for Pyeongchang. And I would say that the winds are gusting hard against that possibility, given the low excitement level of this Olympic tournament.

The Russians crashed out, as did the USA. Boring defensive hockey reigned. And the next Olympics are in an awkward time zone and a country that has no NHL presence. Throw in some pretty high-profile injuries, and the already anti-Olympics owners are going to have all the ammunition they need to say no dice to NHL participation.

50. PsyCONADIAN29 says:

Classic…

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype ·4m
    The Sochi bear doesn’t know it yet, but Don Cherry is going to be wearing his head as a hat next week on Coach’s Corner..

• Mr.Habs71sv says:

Whoopee another gold medal. I will be impressed with cup 25 from Price!

Till next time….

• Mr.Habs71sv says:

Don’t mean to pee on the parade but it has been twenty years since the cup has been in Canada oppsss. Not crowing about that are we I guess the Yankees get the last laugh.

Till next time….

• Habilis Canadianis says:

I still don’t understand why people think that way.

A Stanley Cup championship is won by a collection of players who happen to play hockey together because they were drafted by, signed by or traded to the same club team.

I get the local pride from city to city. But to claim some kind of national superiority because the last 20 Cup winners happen to be located south of the border is just grasping at straws IMO.

51. CH Marshall says:

Alarm clock rings, and Carey wakes up to realize the Olympic D squad was all a dream.

52. Prop Is Canadian says:

Now that the Olympics are over, I guess I’m going to have to be productive at work again…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

53. D Mex-iCanadian says:

Not hockey, but a subject of interest to fair minds at this Olympics.
    Doubtful there will be much surprise :

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• Chris says:

Listen…the picture does not prove the judge was corrupt, only that she knows the skater.

Coming into today’s game, many here were chastising the Swede’s for complaining about having 3 Canadian and one American referee living in Canada as the officials for the gold medal game. Does anybody believe that Meier and Peel were corrupt in Canada’s favour?

People need to prove that the judges were actually corrupt. Maybe they were. But the “controversy” around the hug is just silly.

• the twilight hours of a Canadian winter says:

There’s a long history of corruption in figure skating, which makes this a whole lot easier to believe.

• Chris says:

No question. But I don’t think this particular photograph cements that one way or the other. A slew of retired skaters (who don’t have to worry about recriminations) have opined that the Russian skater deserved to win.

If there is a controversy, it surrounds the margin of victory. I suspect Yuna Kim fell prey to the same thing that undid Virtue and Moir in the dance: the judges were rewarding speed, power and athleticism more this year than in previous years. Kim is graceful, but she skates much slower and does less difficult jumps. The American dance skaters were also much faster than their Canadian counterparts.

I suspect that in a community as small as international figure skating, the judges will know the top skaters very, very well. The hug is less concerning to me than the fact that a judge that had been previously suspended for judging improprieties was back on the panel. THAT is terrible optics for the IOC.

• monmick is Canadian says:

I didn’t see Peel high-fiving Crosby after the game but, admitedly, I didn’t watch the entire medal ceremony.

I also didn’t read anyone chastising the Swedes for complaining about the 3 Canadian officials. Even Don Cherry thought that that was a bad decision, albeit for different reasons…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

What we DID see, however, was his work, and that of all on-ice officials, openly and transparently displayed on the ice.
          Apples & Oranges when compared with the ‘ anonymity ‘ of what skating judges did at this competition …

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

54. WindsorHab-10 says:

When the NHL season resumes on Wednesday & we face the Red Wings, our fans better give Mike Babcock a standing ovation. Excellent coaching job, no doubt about it.

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

Not much cause for concern on this front IMO : Montrealers know hockey, appreciate its many talents, and will respond accordingly.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

There will likely be a few numbskulls, but it’ll be up to the rest of the crowd to drown ‘em out.

55. WindsorHab-10 says:

Proud to be a Canadian & always will be. Prouder to have Carey Price & PK members of the greatest franchise in sports history.
    Way to go Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!

56. Chris says:

As for the hockey tournament…

Overall, I’m pleased that Canada won. That was simply a dominant performance from Game 2 onwards. They not only conceded few goals (3 on the tournament), they conceded few scoring chances. Babcock and his staff had the team play an ultra-conservative game, relying on their talent, size and speed to keep the puck out of dangerous places.

What I’m not happy about is that, on the whole, this Olympic tournament was very flat for me. Too many teams (Canada, Finland, Sweden, Latvia, Slovenia, Norway, Switzerland, etc.) played dreadfully boring defensive hockey. The dead-puck era is not only alive and well, it has now taken over the Olympics, which used to be the salvation from that awful style of hockey (remember 2002?).

This is bad for hockey. The CBC guys were commenting on how dead the building was throughout the tournament. A big part of that was how dead the product on the ice was. I can understand the international hockey minnows like Norway, Latvia and Slovenia playing defensively against the powers. The boxing adage of giving themselves a “puncher’s chance” applies well, and it was really their only hope.

What is concerning is that traditional powers are now starting to do the same thing, even against the minnows. Wide-open hockey is dead…these Olympics were the nails in the coffin lid. The Americans tried it, as did the Russians (despite not having the appropriately talented players, particularly on defence), and they got creamed by the defensive teams. We’re back to soccer scores, and this is with the best of the best competing against one another.

I don’t know how you fix it. My suggestion would be 4-on-4, as that is the most exciting hockey now, but there is simply zero chance of that being adopted. Making the nets bigger is the more obvious solution, and I suspect it will happen, but that doesn’t change the fact that so much of the games was dreadful to watch.

Gainey’s suggestion of examining shot-blocking might be worth considering. I’m not sure what you can do about the trapping…I didn’t see interference in the neutral zone so much as we saw offensive players simply having to battle through too many bodies to get anywhere. The forwards are now too well-coached, too fast and too conditioned to give up much in the neutral zone, and that is making for boring hockey.

• Maritime Ronn says:

There are just too many teams playing useless games with no elimination after the preliminary round.

More often than not, good teams both look ahead, and play down to opponents.
      There is too much discrepancy of talent.

A serious tournament would have 6 teams – 5 would be Canada-USA-Russia-Sweden-Finland…then a qualifier for 6th with all the others.

Boring hockey?
      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
      If one wanted end to end hockey, it wasn’t going to happen.

As for a quiet arena, what did you expect in Russia when Canada plays Sweden?
      How would have Vancouver been in 2010 if Finland played Sweden for the Gold?

• frontenac1 says:

Agree Ron. There were empty seats for the Gold Medal Game! Their were empty seats for every game that Russia wasn’t playing. Same thing with the WJC in Sweden. Half filled arenas? WJC should only be played in Canada. They sell out every game.

• the twilight hours of a Canadian winter says:

I also found it kind of boring.

• Chris says:

Maybe I had too high of hopes going into the Olympics, as I’ve been turned off by how defensive the NHL is becoming again. Now I’m waiting for the playoffs and hoping that hockey can rekindle some of the missing spark

• frontenac1 says:

Agree. Hockey without big hits and fighting can be boring. But playing for the Gold and winning it sure helps.

• Chris says:

The big hits don’t usually happen with this style of player, although there were a few doozies handed out. And fighting adds nothing.

2002 was exciting because the teams played offensively. Everybody was trying to win.

2014 was boring because teams were playing to not lose.

• monmick is Canadian says:

If you subscribe to the theory the professional sports is first and foremost entertainment, then you can’t deny that fighting does add “something”…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Chris says:

Sure I can. I am not even remotely entertained by fighting. I think it is moronic.

• monmick is Canadian says:

Entertainment is not only about you, it’s about all those being (or not) entertained.

I too am not a huge fan of fighting, but can easily recognize that I am part of the minority…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• habstrinifan says:

My posts re the ‘scientific’ mindset of the coaches are along that line. It was brilliant strategy and it will be copied. Where it takes the game is up for discussion I think.

• scotland says:

“I dont know hos you fix it”

YOU dont.

less talented/underdog/ teams will always try to apply what would work for them for the best chance to get an upset. defence and smothering might be that way.

but these are a TEAM of ATHLETES who main objective is to beat the other team…………NOT ENTERTAIN YOU AT HOME OR IN THE TANDS……that comes second. they dont need to apologize for that.

want to be entertained …… olympic hockey not doing it for you?…………….go rent a movie.

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

Blocking shots can be counted like fouls in basketball.

• Curtis O Habs O Canada says:

Agreed. Lots of dull hockey. The NHL needs to think outside the proverbial box. How about no blue line when the lead is 1 goal or more or in the last five minutes of the game. Three points for a win when you score more than 5 goals. Maybe have the players play for a purse each game that also pays part of their salary.

57. jrshabs1 says:

Price named the tourney’s top goaltender but not named to the tourney’s All-Star team?…Huh!

MOAR BIGGAR!!!!!

58. DoopsyDiddler says:

It’s Official: snowboard-paintball at the next Olympics.

59. temekuhabs says:

I was a little peeved at first for not seeing PK play. But looking at it now, I’m not. His time will come, still has a Gold around his neck.
    Price is going to be lights out the rest of the year.
    He’s going to wish on some nights he had that same D in front of him though..

60. Danno says:

Thank you, Team Canada.

RED, WHITE AND GOLD

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

61. 100HABS says:

What stands out to me for Canada in these Olympics is Team.
    We win gold in hockey (2), curling (2), bobsled, then silver in Team Figure-skating and women’s relay.
    On top of that, in skiing, three times we get first and second, with one pushing and supporting the other, both glad of the other’s success.

That’s what makes me proud to be Canadian, the team spirit, the cooperation and selflessness.

62. Sprague and Odie says:

My 2 cents on PK: the one game he played he made a poor play entering the opposition zone. For what ever reason he shot the puck high and it hit an opponent and then hit another Canadian player. When he got to the bench Babcock reamed him out for not making a safe play.
    Subban did get more shifts during the game but he was not used the rest of the games. That game is still there for viewing.

Babcock wanted a safe, conservative defence and I’m sure PK was lectured about it.

He’s young and the next games will be his.

Now back to scrums, face washes, and fights that are the part of the today’s NHL.

63. Chris says:

In my opinion, Carey Price was not the tournament MVP. Price was very good, but he never had to be outstanding. This is in no way a shot against Price. The confidence that he exuded leads me to believe he would have stood tall even if he were sorely tested. I’ve never seen him THAT confident and dialed in as he was in the SF and gold medal games.

There were maybe two occasions in today’s game where I felt Price had to be on his toes: the shot off the post in the first period, and a deflection when it was 2-0. The rest of the game was pretty routine, because the defensive wall that Canada presented today, just as they’ve been doing all tournament, was as good as we’ve ever seen. And that’s why I can’t give him the MVP.

If I’m picking a tournament MVP for Canada, it is Doughty: he provided offence, and he was a key cog in that defensive shutdown. My tournament All-Star team, based on the games I watched:

Goalie – Tuukka Rask (Finland)
    Honourable mentions – Carey Price (Canada), Henrik Lundqvist (Sweden), Jonas Hiller (Switzerland)

Sorry Price fans, but Rask was the best goalie in this tournament. He faced tough opponents (Canada, Russia, United States) and played solid hockey. He had the hiccup against Austria, when he gave up four goals, but outside of that I felt he was simply unreal. Like Price, he enjoyed a team defensive system that limited chances, but I felt that Finland conceded more chances than Canada and Rask was always up to the test. Hiller was also amazing for the Swiss, who simply had no other choice but to play tight defensive hockey and hope he could keep them alive.

Defence – Drew Doughty (Canada) and Erik Karlsson (Sweden)
    Honourable mentions – Shea Weber (Canada), Niklas Kronwall (Sweden), Kimmo Timonen (Finland), Olli Maatta (Finland), Ryan McDonagh (USA)

Doughty showed why he is widely considered one of the top two or three defencemen in the world. He was great in all aspects of the game. Karlsson gets the second nod for tying Phil Kessel for the tournament scoring lead. Given that Sweden was without so many top players, Karlsson’s performance was a big part of Sweden even getting to the finals.

Forwards: LW – Mikael Granlund (Finland), C – Jonathan Toews (Canada), RW – Phil Kessel (USA)
    Honourable mentions – Sidney Crosby (Canada), Pavel Datsyuk (Russia), Anze Kopitar (Slovenia), Teemu Selanne (Finland), Corey Perry (Canada), Alex Radulov (Russia), Patrice Bergeron (Canada), Ryan Getzlaf (Canada)

Granlund was the best Finnish player in the tournament. Selanne gets a lot of sentimental votes to be on the team, but Granlund was the engine on that line. He was fantastic.

Toews was the face of the defensive wall that Canada threw up. He dominated the face-off circle, caused havoc on the forecheck and was constantly generating chances (even though he only got his first goal today). Hands down the best forward for Canada (even though I’m still not a fan of how dirty he can be…he had a vicious cross-check off the puck early in today’s game that the referee ignored).

Kessel disappeared in the Finland game, but he was one of the only dangerous American forwards against Canada, and he was the top scorer in the tournament as a whole. I would have loved to punish him for the no-show, but he was too good on the whole to leave off the All-Stars.

• 100HABS says:

I agree with almost all. I would not put corey perry on that list. He had giveaways and missed chances (he didn’t make those chances, he had great linemates). I thought he belonged even less than Kunitz.

• Chris says:

Perry was outstanding on the forecheck throughout the tournament. Along with Benn (who I perhaps should have named ahead of Perry) and Getzlaf, they were the one line that consistently pinned the opposition in their own zones. They weren’t scoring, but they were just dominant.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

First of all he was named best goalie of the tournament but you could probably make a case for Rask or Lunquist. Tournament MVP was Selanne and rightfully so.

Price had the best save % and best GAA so if you base it just off stats then yes he was the best goalie of the tournament. He never had to make any show stopping saves or steal a game for team Canada but he was solid when he had to be.

Just don’t see how you could pick Rask as best goalie Price was solid throughout the tournament played well when it counted and tied an olympic record for longest shutout streak. I stopped reading there.

• Chris says:

You are confusing me. You start by saying that you could probably make a case for Rask or Lundqvist, but then say that you just don’t see how I could pick Rask?

Switch places…if Rask played as he did in this tournament and was traded for Carey Price, Canada still wins gold. Carey Price probably would have been as good as Rask was for Finland, too, but he simply wasn’t tested to the same extent. As you said, he never had to steal a game or make too many show stopping saves.

I agree that you can choose any of the three. I watched 5 of Finland’s games, 5 of Canada’s games and 3 Sweden games. If I had to rank them, it would be Rask, Price, Lundqvist.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agree about Doughty
      He was all world in this tournament.
      Agree with Toews.
      The real leader of Team Canada

Karlsson?
      He is far from a complete Dman.
      Some argue that his puck control does not require a traditional D zone responsibility, yet that is far from true.
      It may work against inferior NHL teams during the season…yet His Minus -4 playoff stats, his decrease in point production in NHL playoffs, and his incredible number of giveaways either forced or unforced, are still off the charts.

As for Price, he was outstanding when he had to be.
      Any goaltender will tell you the toughest games are when there are few shots, yet when they come, are tough.

Rask?
      What about the 4 goals against vs. Austria?

Are you saying the 2 goals Rask let in against Canada were great goals?
      No they were not.
      They were a clear sign of a goalie that lost his concentration for a fraction of a second – usually the difference between winning and losing (see Varlamov when he was with Washington in the playoffs)

• Chris says:

I just felt Rask was outstanding…I watched 5 Finland games and he was great in all but the Austria game. Not good…great. Was the Doughty OT goal a good one? Probably not. But those always seem to be the winners in OT games. It is pretty rare you see a nice pretty goal in pressure-packed games. Price looked like he was in the zone, but we never really got to see it because he didn’t get tested much. I can understand people wanting to put Price there…you could put Price, Lundqvist or Rask in the top spot and not really get much argument.

As for Karlsson, the thing that gets left out in pointing out his defensive deficiencies is that he was called upon to be the offensive engine for his team. Sweden’s offence was absolutely gutted by the losses of Franzen, Zetterberg, and H. Sedin. Throw Backstrom onto that heap and they had no hope today. Karlsson and Daniel Sedin were the only elite offensive talents the Swedes had left today. Unlike Canada, they simply don’t have the depth to replace their top 4 of their top-6 forwards. It was too much to ask.

Citing Karlsson’s playoff performance from last year is a bit bogus…he was still recovering from his severed Achilles tendon, and was nowhere near 100%. It took Teemu Selanne over a year to get back to full speed from his Achilles injury. Kyle Chipchura never really recovered. Karlsson probably shouldn’t have even been out there, and he still managed an even rating and 8 points in 10 games.

Subban is -1 and -2 in the last two Habs playoff years. Weber was -3 in his first playoff performance. Playing for weaker teams leaves guys more likely to end up with – ratings.

Karlsson obviously gets overmatched in the defensive zone. He was swimming today against Canada’s forwards, but they have done that to every defenceman they’ve encountered. They were big, strong and fast.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Chris

Your observations are exactly the points.
          Whether a goalie is good (or lucky), this is a short tourney where ultimate concentration is required.
          Price was the best when it counted.

It would have been great to see a game with Sedin-Zetterberg-Backstrom…..and Stamkos-Tavares.

Somehow, I believe the result would have been the same.
          The Swede 6 man D unit would have ultimately been exposed as it was.
          Perhaps a closer score, yet a similar result.

• Chris says:

No question, Sweden’s defence was weak.

The losses of Sedin-Zetterberg-Backstrom-Franzen to Sweden are orders of magnitude more devastating that the loss of Stamkos-Tavares to Canada.

1) Canada, a country with 4 times Sweden’s population and 9 times as many NHL players, simply has far more depth to withstand the loss of elite players like Stamkos and Tavares. Stamkos was replaced with Martin St. Louis, last year’s Art Ross Trophy winner. Tavares was replaced with Matt Duchene, currently tied for 22nd in the NHL. Sweden played Jimmie Ericsson, currently tied for 34th in the Swedish Elite League, as their top centre. That is a massive difference.

2) The loss of Stamkos and Tavares was brutal, as they represent two of the top 10 players in the world. But Sweden lost all its centres…they couldn’t win a faceoff. In a puck possession game, faceoffs matter. Sweden ended up with a respectable 29-31 faceoff rate, but the presence of Zetterberg, Backstrom and Sedin (all of whom win 50% or better of their NHL draws) could have really helped Sweden.

We disagree on Price vs. Rask, but I’m okay with that. Either guy is a fine pick. I just think Rask was the better goalie in this tournament. Price wasn’t lucky…he really was full value in the last two games. I just can’t give him the nod because I never really felt like either game was in doubt, regardless of who was in net. Mike Smith could have been the goalie for Canada and the result would have been the same…Canada was simply flawless defensively.

• JF says:

Agree about Rask. He was mostly superb but was not great on either of the two Canadian goals. I thought Price was the best. He made some key saves early in the game against the States, and he was very alert on that shot that got behind him early in today’s game. He also had to be alert in the game against Latvia. It must be tough to stay focused when the play is mostly at the other end and your counterpart is turning away a barrage of shots.

• Chris says:

I’ve never entirely bought the “tough to stay focused when the play is mostly in the other end”. I played goaltender in soccer for many years…I was quite happy if the play stayed down in the other end, and I never had any trouble staying focused on the game. That means your team hasn’t screwed up.

End of the day, every shot in hockey can result in a goal. The more shots you face, the more chances of a bad bounce, a rebound, a deflection or just a gaffe. Price faced 20 shots per game, Lundqvist just over 26 and Rask faced 28 shots per game. Most goalies want a little work to stay warm, but given the choice of no work vs. a good scoring chance, every goalie will remain content with no work. :)

• monmick is Canadian says:

I was one of those who thought Jeff Carter didn’t belong of TC. However, I thought he played well, especially in the last two games. Not well enough to deserve a mention in the above list, but I was surprised nonetheless and admit I was wrong in my initial assessment…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Chris says:

Carter was very solid. I don’t think most Habs fans really appreciated how fast he is, nor how defensively responsible he’s become in Los Angeles. He’s a very strong two-way forward now.