Liveblog: Olympic Games, Game 3: Canada 2, Finland 1, OT

Team Canada beat Finland 2-1 Sunday at the Sochi Olympics on Drew Doughty’s goal in overtime.

Doughty opened the scoring for Canada in the first period and Tuomo Ruutu replied for Finland in the second period. With the victory, Canada advances directly to the quarterfinal round on Wednesday as the No. 3 seed and will play the winner of Tuesday’s playoff qualification game between Switzerland and Latvia. Canada’s quarterfinal game will be at noon Thursday and if there are no upsets through the quarterfinal round, Canada would play the United States in Friday’s semifinals.

The Canadiens’ Carey Price got the start in goal for Team Canada Sunday, making 14 saves in the victory. Tuuka Rask made 25 saves for Finland.

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban was made a healthy scratch along with forward Martin St. Louis. Dan Hamhuis took Subban’s spot on defence, while Patrick Sharp took St. Louis’s spot.

Another change had Sidney Crosby being split up from Chris Kunitz, his regular linemate with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby started the game on a line with Jamie Benn and Patrice Bergeron.

HIO’s Mike Boone is blogging live along with other hockey writers from Postmedia News during every Team Canada game in Sochi. You can read the live blog from Sunday’s game by clicking here.

Here is the Team Canada lineup from Sunday’s game:

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis

Goaltenders
Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

Scratches
Martin St. Louis – P.K. Subban – Mike Smith

(Photo by Jean Levac/Postmedia Olympic Team)

Live Team Canada game blog with Mike Boone, Postmedia News

Let’s not see that Canada-Finland matchup ever again, by Mike Boone

Babcock wrong to bench Subban, St. Louis, by Jack Todd

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1,616 Comments

1. 4m3y2j says:

According to a piece on NBC.com w/ Babcock .PK &Hamuis do not have a chanc ein hell of cracking the top 6.How unbelievably short sighted of him IMO.
    john slattery

2. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Is the CBC media consortium having to pay extra money for Canada always getting the late games or was this part of their agreement? Found it odd that the States didn’t get more noon eastern starts.

• habcertain says:

NBC didn’t show the replay of the USA/Rus game until Sunday afternoon, sounds like they don’t care that much.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

No sense showing the games to no audience.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Wintercount says:

Because they are the reigning champs, I was told.

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Several US sites state that it’s just not lucrative enough for NBC (or CNBC) to have in-deptch coverage of the games since it
      1. Bumps some primetime programs with more lucrative sponsorship contracts and
      2. There aren’t nearly as many American athletes (pro-rated) in the winter games as in the summer games.
      The winter games hand out (according to one site) 98 medals total, whereas they handed out over 360 in London.

3. Prop Is Canadian says:

Watch Babcock puts Subban in for the next game. It wouldn’t surprise me.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

4. Danno says:

Léo Brodeur: Future Habs Superstar.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

5. CJ says:

I understand that this is a selfish post, but our youngest, who just celebrated his first birthday on February 7th, took his first two steps this afternoon. Fortunately, my wife and I were both home and watched him do it!

Feeling pretty special right now! I’m a very lucky guy!

6. Plekasuares says:

All 590 guys say Subban should be in.

7. frontenac1 says:

If they had some good scraps in Olympic Hockey, it would be more fun imo. A couple of good punch ups. Maybe even a Line Brawl against the Russians.

8. Plekasuares says:

Fan590 all over Babcock I love it!

9. Habfan17 says:

To CJ,

I saw your response but too late to reply.

Hey, maybe Bruce Garioch is really Eklund!! or vice versa!

Habfan17

• CJ says:

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised. It amazes me that a man, who watches as much hockey as Garioch does and has access to team executives is so uninformed.

Listening to him on tsn 1200 in Ottawa is pure hilarity. Sadly, many folks take note of what he says. How anyone could cite him as a source, I just don’t know.

That said, I’d love to see Ottawa give away a top pick and prospect for a rental. It will only help ensure they remain irrelevant awhile longer. Of course, that top pick will need to be next season’s, as they are without their top pick this year (Bobby Ryan trade).

• Habfan17 says:

I do listen to him on tsn 1200 and McGuire in the mornings. I guess you are in Ottawa too!

I would love to see that. I already went on record saying that I think they gave up too much for Ryan. So far it looks that way. I prefer the Bergevin approach so far!

Habfan17

• CJ says:

Yes, I’m just outside of Manotick.

It was a huge bounty to give up. The trade will hinge on whether Ottawa can get him under contract going forward. Losing him as a UFA would be disastrous.

• Habfan17 says:

I am east. Even if they do resign him, if he doesn’t start to play better, it will still be too much. I guess it will take a couple of seasons to tell. Much like the Kessel trade.

Habfan17

• CJ says:

Agreed. Good points. It will take a few years yet.

10. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

To the CFL fans here, did you see the size of Jesse Lumsden in the 2 man bobsled? He is jacked up compared to how he looked while playing football.

11. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Lost in the drama of this recent episode of the PK soap opera is not playing MSL. You would think with the lack of offence a respected veteran who won the art ross trophy,plays with non stop fire and is one on the hardest working,dedicated athletes out there would be what the doctor ordered.

12. frontenac1 says:

Question for my Ontario amigos. Being Family Day here, why aren’t their any cheap drinks at the Saloon for us Family Guys?

13. Team needs offense, cocky coaches. Trade Subban for Markov, ’cause that stretch pass to Datsyuk was the most brilliant assist of this tourney.

14. boing007 says:

Make Subban a winger, he’s not afraid to go to the net.

Richard R

15. CJ says:

McCarron with a goal and assist so far today. The big man has really improved his play these past two months.

On an aside, Chucky will be back at practice on Wednesday.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thank you. Really glad to see McCarron coming around. Starting to think he is a slow starter cause I remember hearing that the same pattern happened to him last year. My impression is that Galchenyuk was one of the best things to happen to the Habs in the last decade. PK and Carey are up there too.

24 cups and counting….

• CJ says:

Agreed. The big man is a project. He will take a major step forward next season when the knights graduate a number of players and by extension McCarron takes on a larger role.

• B says:

He now has 15 points in 19 games so far in 2014 after getting 13 in 35 games for the Knights in 2013. His +5 today also jumped out at me. A good game for the big 18 year old! Let’s hope he continues to progress well.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Mark C says:

His move to center seems to be paying off.

Read on HF that he played a role in 5 goals. Really seems to be turning a corner.

• CJ says:

Absolutely. That was certainly a turning point. He is getting much more ice time and is really using his size, whereas in the first half of the season he was the lost man.

Major turnaround. Plus five this afternoon, a goal and assist and the third star.

• Mark C says:

Also, I read he was taking key face offs, including a d-zone draw in the last two minutes. Big improvement from earlier in year when he got stapled to the bench close and late.

• CJ says:

Agreed. His board work set up Domi’s OT goal. He, Bozon and Vail have each really jumped this second half of the season.

• CJ says:

Sorry, was also going to add that he is no longer required to be the personal bodyguard for the Rupert brothers. That was getting lame.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I remember scouting reports on him saying that he was a late starter not so much season to season, but in his overall development. I think a big part of the reason the habs drafted him was that if he continued to develop at that speed, he would become a dominant player. He has made a huge jump over the last couple years in regards to the competition he’s played against, and to see a slow start in London should not have been much of a surprise, and not a disappointment.

Greg

16. frontenac1 says:

Anyone hear how the Jamaican Bobsled team did? I like those guys.

17. Habfan10912 says:

Best “new handle” goes to Chuck hands down. Great job bud.

18. CJ says:

Anyone else catch the Bulldogs game this afternoon? I followed, online, the second and third period. Not much to report.

Robert Mayer is not someone who can be relied upon for any kind of consistency. Not that this is news. The team is still missing key pieces and will likely look much different next year.

I think within the next month you will see the Canadiens and Bulldogs sign a few PTO contracts. I’ve been following Marcus Power from a distance and figure he could be a target. Given the opportunities available, I would not be surprised to see a couple CHL and NCAA prospects given a look.

19. Jimmy9Toes says:

Sorry if someone has already posted this thought, but how can Vancouver’s 3rd best Dman, be a better choice than PK. All the idiots so called expert keeps saying the Hamhuis is a safer player. Do you think that PK would try his end to end rushes and make risky moves if he was put in the line up? This is a huge slap is the face to PK. I would rather have had him not picked for the Olympics than to sit instead of Hamhuis. Now my second thought is that Kunitz must have pictures of Babcock with a sheep or something to have him in the line up instead of MSL. I mean Marty won the scoring title last year and is 3 times the player than Kunitz is. I mean Kunitz didn’t play with Syd the last game. Wasn\t that the reason he was picked, cause he plays great with Syd?

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Just imagine a Swedish coach sitting Karlsson in favour of a safer choice! Sitting PK is very hard to fathom, I agree! Karlsson is a minus 13 on his club team while PK is a plus 6. Yes I know meaningless stat etc. If anyone isn’t mildly to wildly upset with this situation they aren’t paying attention IMO!

24 cups and counting….

• CJ says:

Crazy, but not hard to imagine. I’ve watched as both PK and Karlsson have sat on the bench during the last two minutes of games on their respective NHL club teams.

I’m not saying I necessarily agree, but I’ve seen it happen in the NHL, let alone a collection of the country’s most talented players in the Olympics.

• habcertain says:

I can understand that scenario for PK, but what possible reasoning can one offer to sit him in the press box while Hamhuis is dressed as a 7th d-man. Just for the PP alone, with Canada looking like they will struggle for scoring, hard to say that and not throw up in your mouth, PK would appear to be the better option. We will see, I still believe that given the chance he will turn heads.

• CJ says:

I’d love to see PK play and do believe he brings more to the game then DH, but it’s an uphill fight to steal ice time from anyone in the top four right now.

Again, to be clear, I’m not saying I necessarily agree with the coaching decision and am on record as saying PK will still make his mark on this tournament.

• Le Jadester says:

Couldn’t agree more Jimmy

Before the tourney started I said that PK should be at least a 5th/6th dman…….and babs was stupid for scratching him.

IMO after 3 games in…..2014 has shown that babbie boy isn’t really the God most people make him out to be. I liked Mr. Todd’s article as well. He looks rattled and afraid in the games and press conferences. I really wonder if he could handle it in Montreal or Toronto ?

I am not disputing his accomplishments and what he’s done in the past ……..which is remarkable ! All I’m saying is, as of now, he is underachieving and has made some dumb moves. Biggest one being his handling of PK !

I also think Weber should wear the C
      Syd is not the best in the world anymore…..I would argue that perhaps Doughty is (London bias of coarse).

Gonna be fun to watch all this unfold!

Habs, OLE !

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Honestly if we play not to win but rather safely we will get poor results. Canada has a solid group here. Canada is the reigning gold medal winner from 2010 and I believe as good a team as any in this fight. I’m not annoiting them but I don’t want to see them play scared either. Go for it, I say! If you lose you lose, but don’t sit back and be afraid! I think sitting PK and playing as if you are afraid to lose go hand in hand here! Wrong message to send to the troops.

24 cups and counting….

20. Habfan17 says:

Lyle Richardson from Bleacher report posted this article. With all due respect, it was not worth the time to read it.

For instance, he has The Habs trading Briere for Gaborik. Then Richardson goes on to say the chance of it happening are slim. I would agree up to that point. His reasoning is flawed in my opinion. His reason is that Briere still carries one more season at $4 million and Columbus may not want to take that on! I would say more likely Bergevin would be wary since Gaborik has been injured so much and probably wants big money. It does make sense for the Habs if Gaborik could play out this season. Then they could let him walk and they are free of Briere. Columbus would get a vet for one year instead of nothing for Gaborik. I doubt anyone would offer anything better!

Habfan17

21. Lopaz is Canadian says:

Ever notice how much love your cat gives you when they want to be fed? It’s non stop love!

22. habs_54321 says:

if the big ice is such a problem for the north american player why is the USA doing so well on it?

23. habs_54321 says:

does anyone know why jack todd lists JVR and kessel as zeroes on his hero/zero list? what does that mean???

24. ukeehabs says:

thanks to a grouchy cal to make visiting hio today unpleasant. please go take your happy pills. nice to see some fat guy sitting on the couch have this much authority on what is sport…

25. the twilight hours of a Canadian winter says:

Cal, rage much?

• Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

Nah. It’s just Monday.

• Mavid is a Canadian says:

What about golf then…lots of people consider it a sport..my overweight blind father in law golfed in the low 70′s all the time and had 6 holes in one over his lifetime..I would think that skaters need to be alot more athletic than golfers..its a sport..no doubt..I know your ticked over PK but we all are..lighten up..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• naweed235 says:

Hey buddy. Off topic but I got really really good news regarding that whole situation :) . And many thanks to you for the support on this forum. Cheers!

26. Lopaz is Canadian says:

The Patrick Sharp on the point of the power play is a little bit of a stretch.

For a team that is obsessed with defence, playing a forward on the point of a power play is a ridiculous risk to be taking. In fact, since Sharp comes on for the 2nd wave, the risk is even greater because the penalty could easily expire while Sharp is on the ice. How many times have we seen the penalized player jump on and get a great scoring chance?

Seriously. It’s a bad idea to have Sharp out there.

Against real teams we could easily lose a game because of this flawed strategy.

Babcock, Hitchcock. Gamecock, I don’t care whose the cock coaching the team. A team built on defence should not be taking this kind of unnecessary risk.

I disagree with those who call figure skating not a sport. Although I never figure skated I can imagine the amount of athleticism that has to go into doing even things they do in the dance competition, let alone the part where they actually do jumps and throws. The BS part of the sport is judging and it will never be 100% objective, but I would not call it not a sport.

28. Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

The fix is in for figure skating? Like, you mean it’s a “sport” and not just skating to music?
    As soon as it all depends on judging, of course the fix is in. It’s all about reputation and not performance. Chan won a silver and he fell a lot. The Japanese winner fell, too, and he got gold. As a “sport”, figure skating is a nice family fun Disney on Ice spectacle. As a sport, it’s nothing but a joke.

• Kfourn says:

The out comme of hockey games so m’estimes comtes down to “judging” does that make it less of a sport?

The reason that the top skaters can win even when they fall is because they pick up so many other points in the other elements and attempt things like the quads which most of the skaters can’t do. Figure skating is as much of a sport as any other get off your high horse

_______________________________________________________
      “It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• Kfourn says:

Sometimes*
        Comes*

_______________________________________________________

Sorry, it’s Disney on Ice. Real sports have rules and not “artistic components”.
        Failing to land quads is exactly that: a fail. Getting points for trying is like all the kids getting medals for participating. In other words, it’s a joke.

• johnnylarue says:

I personally give a rat’s ass about this, but it seems to me you’re pretty much discrediting every second Olympic sport if you think “judges” and “sport” are mutually exclusive terms…

Got that right. It’s faster, higher, stronger. Not “geez did he/she look cute doing that?”

• sane hockey fan says:

Except that’s not how it’s judged. Please stop being ignorant.

• Kfourn says:

The only joke is how ignorant you are to figure skating, there are set points for elements and you either get all the points if it is perfect or none if you fail completely. A quad which is partially landed still gets points and more than a triple that is partially or completely landed. It takes amazing athletism to do what they do and they don’t get the respect they deserve from chauvanist dinosaurs like you.

_______________________________________________________

Let’s put jazz dancing in as a summer “sport”, then. It takes an athlete to perform those moves, too. Ohh, forgot. That’s what rhythmic gymnastics is for, right?

• Kfourn says:

Yes let’s discredit gymnastics while you’re at it, you’re on a roll….a sport by definition is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment”, but no let’s go with Cal’s self serving definition.

_______________________________________________________

• frontenac1 says:

Drop the guys and just have the Ladies skate in Lingerie.

• Shiram.ca says:

A sport is where the results give the standings.
      A competition is scored by judges.

• ? says:

Why did you watch it ?

29. JUST ME says:

Congrats to the ladies who made it (again) to the olympic final. For me women`s hockey is the same as women`s tennis. My expectations are just not the same as i would from a men`s match.

I hate to say this though but this is just not happening for the women in the olympics. As a sports fan i hate to call for the end of an olympic program but it has to be deserved to be called a competition and as of now it is a duel, not fair for the others and not interresting for the fans.

Take for instance on the men`s side Switzerland. They have been hiring canadian coaches and players for what now ? Couple of decades ? And we are just now seeing results with a few players even making it to the big league.

Considering that women`s hockey is far from being as popular as men`s it will take a long long time to have team (s) to compete with Canada ans U.S.A.

So who wins in the final ? Who cares really ?

Unfortunately, it’s been the same story every Olympics and every World Championship. There isn’t enough competition to make it interesting. We all knew the only question is who is playing for bronze.
      Hockey organizations are to blame for not growing the women’s game globally. The women’s game has been in the Olympics for 20 years. That’s time enough for a grass roots movement and to get many girls playing. It’s a failure and it’s too bad.

• Or they could just keep at it until it catches on the way they did with the men’s hockey over the years:

punkster is Canadian!!!

I don’t think women’s ice hockey will be allowed 50 years of guaranteed 1st and 2nd place.

• Just suggesting that because the sport is, indeed, a sport and not a judged competition and because the the sport itself continues to gain popularity world wide that it would be a shame to abandon it now.

A few days ago someone on here went on about how hockey in Russia was facing reduced participation rate. I did a bit of research and discovered that wasn’t true. In fact, the reduced participation rates are in Canada whereas most other countries continue to see growth in the sport…Russia included.

I for one support the expansion of the world’s fastest team and most exciting team sport in any way possible.

punkster is Canadian!!!

• Timo says:

Canada’s been seeing a steady decline in hockey participation for several years now. I think soccer now has more registered players in Canada than hockey.

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

Exactly!

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

There’s every indication that the Swiss, the Swedes and the Russians are motivated to improve their teams. I say keep womens hockey in the Olympics.

• B says:

Women’s hockey first appeared in the Olympics 16 years ago in Nagano. 2006 was the first Olympics for the Swiss women’s team. I think the Swiss women’s team has come a long way in only their 3rd Olympics.

–Go Habs Go!–

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

If you listen to Danielle Sauvageau (former woman’s coach), she makes it pretty clear that it is a slow process, not nearly as recognized as the men’s.

It was always a Canada/U.S. rivalry. She points to Finland, Sweden, Russia and (to a less extent) Korea. But she also points out that there was zero funding to the other nations’ until recently.

The panel acknowledge that there’s a long way to go, but it’s not necessarily as lopsided as it used to be.

The video is linked on their page.

Well, at least Swiss made it interesting. Good game. On to who else… the Americans.

31. SnowManHabs85 says:

Im throwing a theory as to why Crosby has been invisible player. He got paid alot of $$ by United States as he his team is Pittsburgh.

Babcock doesn’t want to play Subban because Julien just doesn’t like him because he has been annoyed by him since Subban played his first against Canadiens. With this plan, Julien hopes MB will see Subban isn’t elite caliber and decides he can trade Subban with a whole lot of return.

Win is a win, but I hope we win. Making theories are fun. :P

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Don’t quite understand your theory about Crosby. He gets a lot of $$ by the US, so does almost every Canadian player. He also scored the Gold medal winning goal against the US in 2010. Probably the most ridiculous theory I have ever heard.

32. montrealtilldeath says:

Folks finally figured it out. Babcock can’t see the game we are looking at on the ice. He is always squinting and needs glasses. If he can comment that going to OT to beat a Finnish team missing its 3 tops centers is great he has to b e blind. It would be like watching the Raptors beat the Miami Heat by only one point when the Heat are missing Lebron James, Wade and Bosh and then saying they played great.

33. jo_maka says:

I’m gonna sound like a huge groupie (or a male puck bunny….so a puck…..hare ? I’m bad at metaphor ) but I don’t care:

Agosta is my favourite woman hockey player………..but I’m in love with the eyes of the swiss goalie. I’m not gonna make a five hole joke with Florence Schelling because I’m classy like that, but we all know it’s implied :)

Go Canada !!!

34. Sportfan says:

Weird, weird calls today

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Silver for Virtue and Moir. I call fix.

That Swiss goalie is playing incredible. If Reimer was nets it would have been 10-1 Canada by now.

Btw, she is Yannick Weber’s gf.

37. jols says:

This Swiss women’s goalie is awesome. She is keeping this game close.

38. montrealtilldeath says:

I do not want to burst the bubble of people who think our D was great. Just a few points. If you review the game tapes you will see some very disturbing points. For a great deal of the games the Finns were backing off their points in the offensive zone and not challenging. When they did note the difference. Canada got running around and the vaunted D turned over the puck more than once. Goal!! Other teams like the US will really note this point and will see the weakness.

• JUST ME says:

They gave 2 goals in 3 games that cannot be considered bad at all.Both goals were deflections by the way. I am sure that if i look at the pictures backwards i will see unusual things but this is not more necessary now as it has not been during those 3 games where the D units did not have to do anything out of the ordinary to win.

I grant you this though, that apart from the Finland game the defense has not been put to a serious test but it does not mean anything positive or negative.

39. Sportfan says:

Will she get in trouble for that head shot?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

There is no way Canada beats Switzerland tomorrow. Swiss have something no one else does – they have Raphael Diaz.

41. PrimeTime says:

Hab fans have longed for a talented star player like PK since Lafleur. Sure we have had others lesser stars like Koivu, Muller, Damphouse, Nasland but not a league leading star (excluding goalies). PK is the one Hab player all NHL fans know. He makes his presence known each game. I completely understand the passion some Hab fans have for this guy. If I was one of those fans I would be screaming bloody murder too that he is not playing. I’m not saying PK is less of a star but I am not as “passionate” about it as are some others. I, like PK, would love to see him playing but I fully understand his ice time is a coaching decision based on the game plan and talent available that they believe will win Gold. I am not in the room and I am not privileged to the intelligence accumulated by the teams management. Fans may express their opinion as loud as they want but should always curtail it to respect the same right of others. Not everyone thinks alike.

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

42. BJ says:

Is team Canada (women) alternating goalies? I saw the US-Canada game and the goalie Labonté seems a lot more confident, I hope she’s in vs USA in the gold game (assuming we keep our 3-1 lead). This goalie other than one great stop seems shaky?

43. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Maybe it’s been said already but I have a thought about PK not being played. I wonder if team Canada wants to “protect” their established stars by not letting PK shine at this tournament. If PK plays unbridled it becomes the PK show and maybe our star players egos would be hurt? Could the coaches be worried about placating those who are supposed to be shining right now? If that is the case and since we aren’t getting much glitter at the moment, maybe it’s PK time! Release the P Kraken, I say!

24 cups and counting….

• Trollhunter says:

I don`t think it is a matter of egos being hurt. Weber Doughty and Pete are better overall Dmen than PK. Where PK shines is on the PP but they have said names above. Plus those guys aren`t high risks. I loved the way PK played vs Austria. There was no agitating, no bad penalties, no between the leg nonsense or holding on to the puck. Quick decisions and the puck got up the ice. Only thing missing was some shots on goal but he only had one opportunity to do so. I wish he played that way for the habs…

S G

44. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Wow this skate in the crease rule is very annoying.

It helps to keep players out of the blue when the puck isn’t there. That would be a decent rule to have in the NHL. Holmstrom was allowed to interfere with the goalies his entire career. This simple rule would have stopped it.

• Curtis O Habs O Canada says:

I thought Canada had a skate in the crease on the second goal.

45. Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

Just a side note… some of these women look like they’ve spent more time doing their makeup that putting on their equipment and tying their skates.

46. lakechamplain says:

Some random thoughts as we await the quarterfinals and semifinals at Sochi:
    What an exciting game to watch Sat. a.m.; as an American I’m happy the good guys won. What I loved was there was so much talent on ice that there always seemed to be a scoring opportunity about to happen.
    But, I wonder if the tables were turned if some Americans would be whining that the goalie seemed to dislodge the net on his own and, I don’t like the shootout rule letting one player shoot over and over; the shootout is already a non-team event. I don’t know, will they go to a shootout in the finals or continue overtime if it gets there?
    Two, the Russians are tight; they’re both feeling immense pressure and one wonders if their using a high share of KHL players vs. some in the NHL has cost them an edge.
    Three, the Canadians seem a little tight and out of synch. And please, Habs fans, it’s not because of the way PK is being used. Hopefully one good game will get the play flowing.
    Four, sad to say, Kessel and VanRiemsdyk are better than any forwards the Canadiens have at this time. In fact Kessel’s play makes me wonder if the Leafs are using his skills effectively. BTW Galchenyuk hopefully will be as good as them in the near future but not now.
    Five, under Wishful Thinking: I wish Bergevin and Therrien were using these two weeks to visit and observe every player in the Canadien’s organization in the minors. What an opportunity to assess and guage what we have and what we need. PS–Timmons, get on board with them.
    Finally, Timo, please, give it a rest.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

The US-Russia game was very good. I actually think the US has a slight edge over Canada.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I will resort to a Jack Toddism. Team USA looks very good but Kessel still looks fat. :D

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Habilis Canadianis says:

“Kessel and VanRiemsdyk are better than any forwards the Canadiens have at this time.”

Another Kool-Aid drinker.

They are good offensive hockey players, there is zero doubt on that front. However, hockey is played in 3 zones, not one.

There’s a reason why guys like that score a bunch but never win Cups. In a cap world, you need your big money players to be great players in all situations. Guys like Toews, Crosby, Bergeron. Guys who are leaders. Kessel is one of the highest paid players in the league and he doesn’t even have an “A” on his sweater. He doesn’t care, never has. Plus, as mentioned above, he’s fat.

Give me Pleks and Patches or Gally or Chucky over those two one trick ponies every day of the week.

47. DoopsyDiddler says:

The real Joe Strummer would be in the pro-PK camp. Can there be any doubt about that?

• Strummer says:

Would have probably staged a benefit concert for PK, maybe even named an album after him much in the same vein as “Sandanista”

maybe “Subbanista”?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well millionaires should stick together. Even if they’re communist millionaires. Heh.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

48. UKRAINIANhab says:

I have been wanting to see Subban as a forward for sometime now. So ive heard Crosby needs some wingers!

49. zephyr says:

I like dd. he’s the best playmaker we have. I’m glad we have him in our lineup. he makes passes like he has eyes in the back of his head & he can also compete on the boards. I don’t like smaller players in general but nobody whines about Gallagher. we just need to get rid of gio & briere. if weise keeps it up, we finally have a little depth & maybe we can trade gio b4 the deadline. prob is there’s no fwds in Hamilton worth calling up right now.
    be nice to see chuck back in the lineup after the Olympics.

50. zephyr says:

team Canada coaches are far too risk averse. it’s stifling the play of our guys & that’s why finland was close. that’s also why subban is sitting. he’s the most dynamic dman they have & he’d light up that big ice if they’d let him. Canada is going to lose playing like that.

• Habfan17 says:

That is the way the NHl is, risk averse. Folks keep saying the Habs don’t have the offence, when in fact they do. problem is the coaches, and by extension, Bergevin seem to want to play a no risk, defensive shell system. Price is a very solid goalie, let him make the stops when The team makes the odd mistake and let the guys play aggressive hockey. That doesn’t mean that they give up playing defensively responsible, it does mean letting players who have the hockey talent and IQ play together and do what they do best, be creative and generate offence and scoring opportunities!

Habfan17

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The problem is owners who fire coaches merely for not winning it all every year. Thus coaches coach not to lose rather than coach to win.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

51. UKRAINIANhab says:

Argh! Make a poll that says should Subban be the 7th defenceman and than lets see the results!

52. Habfan17 says:

Whether or not PK plays or not, he will be better for the experience being there. Sure, I would love to see him play, however, I see the silver lining for the Habs long term. There are two benefits, he is among the best and can see how they prepare and conduct themselves. The added bonus is he is away from Therrien and the home town spot light. He will be able to see where the message from the Olympic coaches differ and match the message from Therrien. PK has the opportunity to clear his head and refocus.

I love the Olympic hockey but can’t wait until the NHL resumes. I hope that Bergevin makes a few changes at the deadline with a view to the future, nit in hoping the Habs can squeak in and maybe go far!

Habfan17

F this corrupt prejudiced team Canada. Here is the article I wanted to read – http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/738183/posts/165305/public

• Habfan17 says:

The question you have to ask, is why don’t the sports writers at the Gazette have these ongoing prospect reports?

It would be nice to have a weekly report on the Bulldogs as well as a weekly prospect update. If the Habs are such a “religion” in Montreal, you would think this would be a no-brainer.

Come on Mr. Boone, make it happen!

Habfan17

• B says:

McCarron is getting more used to playing in the OHL. In 2013 he played 35 OHL games getting 13 points. So far in 2014 he has played 18 games getting 13 points. He is progressing well and seems to be healthy now after playing through a shoulder injury and strep throat in 2013.

–Go Habs Go!–

Canadian ladies are just killing the Swiss. Holy molly… it’s not even funny. Bet the other Canada-Switzerland game won’t be that lop sided. At least not until Babcock unleashes Hamhuis and Kunitz on them. What a door knob.

• Strummer says:

Women’s hockey was put on notice by the IOC to become more competitive or it would be dropped in future Olympics.

Nothing has changed same 2 teams every Olympics- time to say adios to Womens Hockey.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

They should do the same thing in women’s hockey that we used to do on the pond to equalize the talent: allow trades between periods.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

It is too bad the competition isn’t getting closer.

Edit: Having said that Swiss just score to make 3-1. Swiss bench was ecstatic.

Hey, at least Switzerland just scored.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Chuck, your new handle is very funny.

The hamsters have apparently yet to explode. Looks like I have room to grow it. :)

On another note, the men’s gold medal game is Sunday at 7am. If Canada makes it, where am I going to be able to watch it without waking the whole house by screaming?

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

A number of bars here in town are going to be asking the Mayor to make special dispensation to allow them to open and serve for the GOld Medal final. If that is the case, I will be at Gators.

Will keep you posted as the week plays out. Awesome that we get the noon draw on Wednesday again.

• habsguru IS CANADIAN - is Babcock? says:

funny, in Halifax they had their liquor permits straightened out a month before the Olympics started!

• habcertain says:

Gators serves great wing, favorite place when I lived there.

• B says:

Women’s hockey has progressed internationally and the games are getting closer than they used to be. It was the same when Men’s hockey started at the Olympics, it took most countries a long time to become more competitive.

FYI, Men’s hockey became an Olympic event in the 1920 summer games in Antwerp with Canada beating Sweden 12-1 in the Gold medal game. The first winter games were in 1924 and were held in Chamonix, France. Canada won the gold again beating the USA 6-1 and while outscoring their opponents 110–3 over the games. The level of competition has come a long ways since those days.

–Go Habs Go!–

55. DoopsyDiddler says:

OK let’s change the topic.

What’s up with Sidney Crosby?

He was poor in Vancouver and he’s poor again.

Could it be that he’s actually not that good (by which I mean not one of the greatest of all time – of course he’s good)?

I mean, he’s good for the bumper cars on ice that is the NHL: he is strong and never gives up on a puck.

But is he Mario Lemieux / Wayne Gretzky good?

Perhaps not.

56. ? says:

Sign PK quick. His value can’t get any lower.

• montrealtilldeath says:

That’s been the Canadiens brass strategy this year. PK listen to Wayne G. “play your game” Wayne knows. Love to hear his comments about the Team Canada staff coaching decisions. His comment to PK was very telling.

57. Strummer says:

An arguement can be made that the Team Canada defence is doing well as it is and shouldn’t be “fixed if it ain’t broke”.

Defence isn’t the problem, the forwards however…

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

But how do these rational points support the PK Hysteria being generated here?

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Give us compelling facts like you said. HiB lets see it. Or you could be all talk which I do think you are

• Strummer says:

Eye-roll!

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Did you read Strummers post?

The team is allowing little to no high quality scoring opportunities to the teams we play against and most of our offence is being generated by the defencemen playing for Canada. What part of this is hard to comprehend.

PK is scoring at slightly higher clip per game than Pietrangelo, while Pietrangelo plays the same or more minutes per game taking far fewer penalties. Pietrangelo also won a World Junior title like PK and was an Asst. Captain on another World Junior team that made it to final.

Pietrangelo has quickly established himself as the top defenceman on St. Louis a team who are predominantly near the top of the league in team defence.

Why is it again that he is considered so much worse than PK?

Look up Pietrangelo’s career stats, he is a very very good player. In fact I would consider a trade straight up, especially considering the contract Pietrangelo is now playing on. I love PK, I want him to lead Montreal for years and years, but I don’t see him being better at this point, I see him as more talented at present.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I respect your opinion yet I do not respect how you lash out at posters who are not your friends. I have been reading this board for a long time. So present your argument without singling out someone. Good points as well.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Maybe Shiram. But I wont be pushed around by this guy of all people…

• DoopsyDiddler says:

I don’t think there’s any hysteria (compared to the usual level).

Clearly Babcock and the rest of the Team Canada Mgmt have something against PK – have had since long before the tournament started (“I need players I can trust.”). And it dovetails more generally with the “PK problem” which manifests in various ways (Therrien’s “better person” statement, the booing, the relentless HNIC piling on).

Also clearly, PK is a better choice than all but three of the D-men picked ahead of him. This is an objective fact.

So no, there isn’t any PK hysteria on H I/O.

There are illogical arguments though: “Babcock won the cup”, “We’re 3 and 0 so far”, etc …

I actually don’t care that much about the decision per se – I think Canada will win gold in any case.

But I think the “PK Problem” says something sinister about Canadian hockey and Canadian hockey fans.

So yeah, I’m disappointed to see Babcock joining the “PK is a problem” crew.

• The_Truth says:

I don’t think it’s fair to say Babcock and crew are saying PK is a problem. Where has any one said that associated with Canada? If he were considered a problem, he wouldn’t be on the team.

The simple fact is he is not as good defensively as the top 6, with decison making and is prone to a giveaway now and then and Canada can’t afford to take any chances. That’s it. I am sure they are happy he is on the team in case of an injury.

Do you actually think you know better than the group of Hockey minds behind team Canada who has watched each player and scouted them 100x more than any of us?

Nobody is saying PK is a problem. It’s the paranoid fans who are starting all this for nothing.

• Shiram.ca says:

What was it, 6 of 10 the goals scored by Canada came from the D, and Carter got 3 goals.

Carter was another pick that drew ire….

• New says:

” No need for alterations when the D has allowed 2 goals in 3 games and has scored more goals than the forwards.”

Maybe PK should play up front with Sid. The lazy S he skates would work a lot better from center into the other end than from his end to center. :-)

Would be funny to see everybody crediting Babcock with brilliance if PK played on Sid’s wing and scored the gold medal winning goal.

• Strummer says:

Play PK at forward- now that’s thinking outside the box, which is not one if the Team Canada’s fortes !

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

An argument can be made that Canada could ice 12-18 defencemen that would do pretty much as well. Subban should have been in the mix not sitting in the crowd in street clothes. Period. Like Crawford not having Gretzky shoot, Canada’s “brain thrust” constantly outsmarts itself.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

58. UKRAINIANhab says:

Canada will struggle to beat Switzerland. They play 6 Goalies!!

59. Maritime Ronn says:

@ scotland re your thought
    ” subban is a top 10 d in canada….even a top 8. he is just not a top 6.”
    ———–
    Here is a list of Canadian only Dmen playing in the NHL.

As for complete Dmen, and depending on needs and how a GM/coaching staff want their team to look like, there may be only 3 Dmen *AT THIS POINT IN TIME, that may have a slight edge over Subban.
    Weber-Doughty-Keith…unless you can find some others on that list.

Is Pietrangelo good?
    Of course he is, yet it would be interesting if PK could have a consistent partner such as JBow – or Duncan Keith’s playing with Seabrook, or even rookie Seth Jones with Weber or Doughty’s partner Jake Muzzin.

It would be interesting to see how Pietrangelo would perform playing multiple games with…Francis Bouillon and Douglas Murray, and while Josh Gorges is a great warrior, he is no Brent Seabrook.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Bam. Good Points.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Would St Louis trade Pietrangelo for PK? Of course they would.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Yea! Its absolutely nuts how some. Key word some. People think that Subban should not be playing. It would be a meltdown on here if we traded Subban for Pietroangelo

FREE PK!

• The_Truth says:

I really do not think St Louis would trade Pietrangelo for Subban. He is a former #4 overall pick with great size, mobility and skill. I am not sure anyone would take Subban over him really. I’ve watched him a fair amount and he is really good. And that is not to take anything away from PK who is a top dman himself.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If the Habs traded for JayBo (like some of us here suggested), PK would be playing instead of Pietrangelo. That simple.

• New says:

I don’t think a half dozen upset HIO fans will change Babcock’s mind. Not that I don’t think PK is good. I do. I just don’t respect the Norris (which seems to be always brought up) and never will unless it is voted on by players and coaches one day. So that leaves me with just how is he playing.

Read back over these pages and the mention of PK lately, aside from “if” he would make the team as the eighth D, has been on how badly he is playing lately and speculation on the why.

Hype is like that. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it bites.

60. The Jackal says:

Holy guacamole, so much angst against Babcock. And here I thought MT was the only coach HIO thinks they are smarter than!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

I expressed frustrations below regarding Babcock.
      I’m not questioning his credentials, or his level of competency.
      Although he’s coached a Wings team with a boatload of talent for a number of years, I have no doubt of how good he is, and the pedigrees who are his assistants.
      As a matter of fact, I’d love to have Julien back.

But I’m perplexed at how they can keep an offensive D off the ice when they clearly need more offensive performances.

I want our Canadian boys to win it all, just like everyone on here. I just feel that we’d have a better chance with PK and MSL in the lineup, because there are a few who are playing, who don’t have as much impact as these two would.

And that’s the last I’ll say of that. I even have Burly bearing down on me.

61. Shiram.ca says:

I’m not one to support Babcock, he leaves me unfazed really, but this clearly shows that no matter the coach, HIO will complain.

It would be one thing if it were only people pointing out a different opinion, discussing the pluses and minuses of moves, but how quick are people to resort to petty insults, questioning intelligence and whatnot.

The internet is like a de-buff, it seems to apply a will check penalty to maturity.

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

There are a few people on here who are nuts. It’s an open community.

There’s a legitimate ” hockey ” argument to be made which has Subban on the bench a la MAB a few years back, as a power play specialist replacing Patrick Sharp at the point.

There’s also a legitimate hockey position whis has ST Louis on the bench considering how difficult it will be scoring goals going forward.

• Shiram.ca says:

I don’t mind any position, as long as it’s brought up with valid arguments, and does not start or degenerate into insults.

• ont fan says:

I can see the angst of our forwards not scoring. Kunitz or M. St. are small potatoes compared to the rest. Our defense is not the problem but seems to get all the ink here. The goalies have had it pretty good with the Canadian D.

62. UKRAINIANhab says:

Kunitz makes Team Canada to play with Crosby, gets taken off the Crosby line.

IF your not going to play Kunitz with Crosby frickin Sit him.

63. Scotty90 says:

If PK is not a happy camper he will have an awesome opportunity to make the point with Babcock on Feb 26 when the Wings are in town! 3 pt night and a couple of devastating hits for PK!

64. Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

Time for the women to show Canada’s men how it’s done:

65. Plekasuares says:

Yeah, leave Hamhuis in ahead of Subban…great idea..,. NOT! This
    Team needs GOALS so you should play Subban. This is a concern everywhere but Hockey Inside Out which is a Habs website. I guess some of you think Babcock is a god and can do no wrong…

66. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m stunned to find myself agreeing with everything that Jack Todd wrote … well … until I get to his inane and too predictable Heroes and Zeroes B.S. that is. You’re a sports writer and a Liberal, Todd. We get that now give it a rest and stick to sports, already. If the P.M. is a zero, you’re a minus 50. But at least you won’t be poisoned with Polonium for putting Harper on the same list as Putin oh brave one.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

67. Shiram.ca says:

Russia protesting the refs, hey if works better than booing…
    Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko

There’s a picket at US embassy in Moscow against Brad Meier, USA – Russia referee pic.twitter.com/ibXe1dcxZF

68. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

RE: PK vs Hamhius analogy

If I go to war, I need weapons. Comparing PK to Hamhius is like comparing a bazooka to a bullet-proof vest. Sure you might get blown up if the bazooka malfunctions but it will kill your opponent. The bullet-proof vest won’t kill your opponent and, even though you think you’re safe, it won’t protect you because your opponents use bazookas.

69. sheds88 says:

canada’s top six D are very very good. i can see P.K. taking a back seat to any of those guys. I don’t see the up side of having Hamuis in over P.K. except maybe he plays a safer game. At least P.K. can be a weapon on the power play.
    It is nice Subban is taking in the experience which no doubt will valuable in the future, but it would be nice if he were to go on frickin tear after the olympics, feeling sort of snubbed of playing time
    ( though making the team alone is an honor ).

70. Maritime Ronn says:

Question for HIO:

Barring injury to any Top 6 of Canada’s D corps, Coach Babcock has come out and said Subban and Hamhuis “…don’t really have a chance.”

Regardless if you agree or disagree with the decision, what would you prefer…now that the cards are on the table?

1) That Subban play as the #7 Dman – playing about 3-7 minutes – not allowed to play his game – playing nervous and out of character trying not to make a mistake – which could lead to disaster?

OR

2) Not play for the rest of the tournament – soak up and practice/learn everything he can from Keith-Doughty-Weber, and come back as a smarter, stronger player that may also include more and better leadership skills….and play the Habs first post-Olympic game at home against the Coach Babcock Red Wings?

Yes, that Babcock coached, 8th place Red Wings clinging to a wild card playoff spot and only 3 points from 13th place.
    They will be the Habs first opponent at the Bell Centre on Wednesday, Feb.26th

PK should be playing, period. Even if it’s on the left side.
      Why are Bow and Peter and Vlasic allowed to make turnover after turnover, but they are considered solid? It’s horseshit coaching decisions based on horseshit assumptions.
      If the Swiss take out Latvia and then Canada, maybe Hockey Canada will wake up and get rid of the dinosaurs behind the bench.

Babcock is a brain dead. PK doesn’t ahve a chance on the team that includes Bouwmeester, Vlasic and Pietreangelo. That’s unreal. This team has been nothing but politics from selection to now lineup selection for each game. It is too bad that the very first game against detroit after olympics is played in detroit, otherwise I am sure Mr. Squinty would get a fantastic welcome in Mtl.

Ah well… this highlight the problem with Hockey Canada which I am sure exists at all level of hockey.

72. Evil Youppi says:

Fun facts:
    Did you know that the hockeycanada.ca site is hosted in USA.
    Only 2 players play for a Canadian based NHL team.
    None of the coach’s are from Canadian based NHL teams.
    I smell another inquiry.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I believe there may be 4
      Price Subban
      Luongo Hamhuis from Van.

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

…all d-men playing in front of our Beloved are western conf…despite the very strict left-plays-left-right-plays-right rule for dmen, Doughty (a RH) scored both goals for Canada yesterday from the left side of the ice

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh