Liveblog: Olympic Games, Game 3: Canada 2, Finland 1, OT

Team Canada beat Finland 2-1 Sunday at the Sochi Olympics on Drew Doughty’s goal in overtime.

Doughty opened the scoring for Canada in the first period and Tuomo Ruutu replied for Finland in the second period. With the victory, Canada advances directly to the quarterfinal round on Wednesday as the No. 3 seed and will play the winner of Tuesday’s playoff qualification game between Switzerland and Latvia. Canada’s quarterfinal game will be at noon Thursday and if there are no upsets through the quarterfinal round, Canada would play the United States in Friday’s semifinals.

The Canadiens’ Carey Price got the start in goal for Team Canada Sunday, making 14 saves in the victory. Tuuka Rask made 25 saves for Finland.

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban was made a healthy scratch along with forward Martin St. Louis. Dan Hamhuis took Subban’s spot on defence, while Patrick Sharp took St. Louis’s spot.

Another change had Sidney Crosby being split up from Chris Kunitz, his regular linemate with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby started the game on a line with Jamie Benn and Patrice Bergeron.

HIO’s Mike Boone is blogging live along with other hockey writers from Postmedia News during every Team Canada game in Sochi. You can read the live blog from Sunday’s game by clicking here.

Here is the Team Canada lineup from Sunday’s game:

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis

Goaltenders
Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

Scratches
Martin St. Louis – P.K. Subban – Mike Smith

(Photo by Jean Levac/Postmedia Olympic Team)

Live Team Canada game blog with Mike Boone, Postmedia News

Let’s not see that Canada-Finland matchup ever again, by Mike Boone

Babcock wrong to bench Subban, St. Louis, by Jack Todd

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1,616 Comments

1. BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

This from “Coach” Babcock, after the non-loss to Finland :
    “We came here to be tested.”
    Really? I would venture to guess that most of the athletes went to Sochi to win gold.
    I know… I’m beating a dead horse, but I think most here agree.
    How in good conscience can they keep both PK and MSL in the rafters, while Kunitz (blatantly out-played) and one of Hamhuis (a turnover machine), Bouwmeester (snooze-fest), Pietrangelo (can’t block a shot to save his life) or Vlasic (meh…. little offensive movement) are pegged in ahead of him.
    Babcock wants the D to play conservatively, but when your O isn’t scoring, and the D (more precisely the only two who belong with PK – Weber and Doughty) accounts for the bulk of the goals, there’s a problem.
    I’m glad that he’s kept Price in, and this will hopefully continue, but I’m at the front of the line when it comes to scratching your head because PK is a healthy scratch, yet again.

• Timo says:

Is it kind like Habs’ goal to make playoffs?

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

This confirms then that when the day comes when MT is fired (yes it will happen eventually Timo) we don’t want Babcock/Hitch/Julien/Ruff as a coach right?

Looks to me like Guy Boucher will indeed be the next Habs coach. :)

Thankfully he embraces exciting hockey……

2. Maritime Ronn says:

A question for HIO:

Barring injury to any Top 6 of Canada’s D corps, Coach Babcock has come out and said Subban and Hamhuis “…don’t really have a chance.”

Regardless if you agree or disagree with the decision, what would you prefer…now that the cards are on the table?

1) That Subban play as the #7 Dman – playing about 3-7 minutes – not allowed to play his game – playing nervous and out of character trying not to make a mistake – which could lead to disaster?

OR

2) Not play for the rest of the tournament – soak up and practice/learn everything he can from Keith-Doughty-Weber, and come back as a smarter, stronger player that may also include more and better leadership skills….and play the Habs first post-Olympic game at home against the Coach Babcock Red Wings?

Yes, that Babcock coached, 8th place Red Wings clinging to a wild card playoff spot and only 3 points from 13th place.
    They will be the Habs first opponent at the Bell Centre on Wednesday, Feb.26th

• Shiram.ca says:

It really does not matter to me, sure seeing PK play on the Olympic stage would be neat, but I’m not going to make a 10 paragraph long post on HIO about it.

And the Habs facing the Wings after the Olympic break has no value in that decision of mine either.

• Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

PK should be playing, period. Even if it’s on the left side.
      Why are Bow and Peter and Vlasic allowed to make turnover after turnover, but they are considered solid? It’s horseshit coaching decisions based on horseshit assumptions.
      If the Swiss take out Latvia and then Canada, maybe Hockey Canada will wake up and get rid of the dinosaurs behind the bench.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

For me it’s not so much about PK as it is about Canadian hockey. Is our game about flair and skill or is it about being low risk, grinding away, and doing what you’re told? (And thuggery.)

It’s turned into Jacques Lemaire hockey with star players and no grinders. Complete shite.

3. habs001 says:

Team Canada does not provide any physical fear for the opposition…combine that with no penalty calls for Canada …per olympic stat site 4 pp in 3 games…Sweden 13pp, russia 13pp…next closes Slovakia 7pp….It is hard to score when facing players that can skate and you let them bother you and they have no fear of physicality and the refs also dont call any penalties for their tactics…

4. adadi says:

Women’s hockey is a joke. I’ve been hearing for the last three Olympics how much things are improving and how competitive all countries will become. Sorry but this is still a two team sport. This sport does not belong in the Olympics. Until we have a half dozen teams that can really compete let’s pull the plug on this farce.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Hey there are some in the HHoF, they must all be better players than Paul Henderson. No?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

5. habs001 says:

Hey at least we can say the Habs have a chance at the cup….why? Well the Habs will not face a more talented team than Team Canada in the playoff and would anyone trade the Habs roster for the Austrians,Norwegians or Finns..lol

6. adadi says:

The bottom line is that a team with this much fire power playing this kind of boring uninspired hockey is a shame. What the schmucks running the game in the NHL and in team Canada don’t get is hockey is starting to have a lot of knocks against it. Headshots/concussions; cost; time requirement; so playing this kind of I’d prefer to watch a plant grow hockey will guarantee that the next generation will not be there to support this game. They already face a serious challenge from soccer. Anyway, I’m so pissed I think I prefer Finland wins the whole thing and be done with it. Not sure I’m going to watch the next game.

7. habs001 says:

Well women`s hockey still has a lot of growing to do in other countries…Today semi final game USA 6 Sweden 1…shots on goal 70 to 9…including 29 in the first…

8. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Well enjoyed the game at a packed to the rafters sports bar. What do I love most about these Olympic competitions? The fact I can sit arm in arm with fellow Canadians who are Bruins, Leafs, Flyers, Hawks and Habs fans. One of my best buddies who is a huge Bruins fan just looked over at me prior to the game when Rask and Price were shown on the screen. We looked at each other laughed and said go Price Go! (I did manage to remind him of Rasks record of late against Price).

Anyways, I know we wish they scored more, we wish they played PK more, we wish lots of things, but end of day I still enjoy the games and enjoy the camaraderie!

The Canada vs. China mens curling game yesterday was one of the best curling games I have seen in years. Didn’t include the vice from Switzerland ladies team, or the skip from Great Britain or any of the Russian lady curlers, but WOW was it a game of great shots.

CHeers everyone!

Go Canada Go (or whatever country you are from and cheering for)

• frontenac1 says:

I was at the Saloon with buddies who are Leafs,Bruins and Hawks fans yesterday amigo. Had a great time. Guess what? They all want PK and St.Louis in and Kunitz and Pickles out. Oh yeah, and plenty of bad things said about Sid. Saludos!

9. boonie says:

Let’s see, in THE ’72 Summit Series, Dryden didn’t start every game. By then, he had already won (from memory) the Conn Smythe, Calder and a Cup. Players who starred in the NHL sat for multiple games.

Yes, PK won the Norris. That makes him among the best in the NHL in any given year . He’s on the Canadian Olympic team. Enough.

The reality is, it’s hard to be elite among the elite. Very, very few are. Let’s use Orr and Gretzky as examples. They basically owned the trophies at their respective positions for multiple years. They are LOCKS. If you’re not one of those folks, who play when and as the coach decides.

NBC interviewed Tretiak yesterday. Recounting the story of the 1980 Miracle on Ice, Tret said Tikanov (sp?) said his worst coaching decision was pulling Vlad at the end of the first period of that game. Coaches make mistakes.

Right now, we’re undefeated. Babcock is a great coach. Let’s see how this goes.

The reality is that this team is handcuffed with the a-holes that are coaching it.
      Other teams should be looking out for Canada’s attack. We should not be watching Canada playing dull as dishwater hockey.

10. montreal ace says:

All the complaints about PK and his playing time, seem to be causing some to lose sleep because of their wet pillows. Cheer up folks I think PK, plays the next game. I also have to say Don Cherry, was looking sharp and fit during coaches corner with some great observations. I can’t wait until Sidney gets going, he will start heating up.

11. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Somebody just give PK a left-handed stick already…Lol

12. Mavid is a Canadian says:

I am shocked, the consensus of all the homers here is that PK should play..and so should Price..I think I have fallen in to some kind of time warp vortex…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

13. Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

It’s going to be a tough game to watch on Wednesday. Again.

14. Price07 says:

Never liked Hamhuis or Kunitz on this team and certainly not over Subban and St.Louis!

15. Lopaz is Canadian says:

Just like to remind everyone that the Canada dmen have been making mistakes, turning the puck over (commandant reported 11 turnovers for Vlassic in ONE game), even getting caught pinching at the blue line.

Let me wave a huge RED FLAG for everyone to see.

The 3 teams we have played thus far could not win an AHL championship COMBINED.

We have yet to be tested. Eventually we will play the Russians, the USA, and maybe Sweden.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Your comments are right on but wasted. A lot of the guys on this site are stll drinking the TSN koolade. “Canada looks great!! yeah “Look at the emperor’s beautiful clothes” BS!! We are buck naked out there.

Canada looks like crap right now. They played a fun 8 minutes against the Finns and then resorted to plodding along. Idiot coaches are ruining this tournament.
        Canada is playing hockey the same way Italy plays soccer tournaments. They play not to lose and boring defense with a team of all stars. Morons all.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Are you in my head because you are certainly reading my mind? Anatoly Tarasov the great Russian coach , and he was great, stated that Canadian players had one tremendous advantage, Their passion for the game. They could really turn it on when needed. He always said it was something he could not teach or give his players. It was uniquely Canadian. This passion is what I love about Subban and makes me hate what coaches like Therrian are doing to him. They could ruin him. Watching Team Canada coaching doing the same thing to this team is frustrating for me.
          For petes’s sake “release the Kraken”. Watching this nonsense is like trying to have sex without an erection!!
          Have to leave now but as you see by my many comments this AM I am totally @#$%$%%%.
          Go Canada!! Go Carey Price!!! Let PK play!!!

• Phil C says:

They haven’t been tested, nor have the played all out yet . It is just human nature, why risk injury against Norway or Austria, or in a low stakes game against the Finns when your opposition is happy to sit back and play defense? I think we will see more intense hockey from Canada going forward as the stakes get higher.

When its all said and done, I’m not that unhappy with Canada’s placement in the playoff standings. I’d much rather play Switzerland instead of Russia. And if the final four line up as expected, I’ll take Sweden over the other two.

Canada now has two days off. Time for Babcock to extend playing time for those who deserve it and shorten the bench when need be as the game progresses.

• 24 Cups says:

Correction (again!) Canada will play the USA in the semi-final with Sweden taking on Finland/Russia (assuming all things go as according to plan).

This information was provided by Bob McKenzie so I assume that it is correct.

17. ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

Interesting little tidbit:
    Despite the iron-clad rule that there should be LH d-men on the left side and RH d-men on the right, a RH d-man scored both goals yesterday, from the left side. Weird or what?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

18. Sportfan says:

Something different from hockey

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. Is it possible that there is some consternation about playing the Swiss Men’s Olympic Hockey Team? Raphael Diaz, more ice-time on the Bolshoy Ice Dome than Dan Hamhuis? Jan Laco, 32 yrs old, and had Russia confounded until the shootout. We at HIO have tremendous self-restraint in not loudly berating the snubbing of Peter Budaj.

20. habsguru IS CANADIAN says:

why is Team Canada playing the game of their opposition? FIN is boring and safe, so let’s do that too????? We are the pinnacle of hockey. Crosby, Toews, Tavares, Gets, MSL….. and we don’t (not can’t) score! I have always respected Babcock, but this is bastardizing hockey. since when does Canada follow the lead of other teams. We set the pace, We fill the net, We crash and bang. The Women’s team hits more, and they aren’t allowed to hit?

stop the be nice, chess like hockey, and play OUR game. OT against FIN, shameful.

• Phil C says:

I don’t think Canada was playing all out against Finland as they were already in the playoffs. I am hoping we will see more intense hockey from Canada going forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

They are not playing the game of the opposition.
      If it wasn’t for Rask, that game was all over in regulation with a score of about 4-1.

The game of the opposition is clog the middle and give the perimeter…where it is so much farther away from the net.

• montrealtilldeath says:

The goals we scored on Rask were weak. We would not have accepted this same stuff if it was Price. Folks would have been screaming Lou! Lou!’ I love Doughty. He plays the Canadian game but he is not a real goal scorer. Look at his record. If we continue to rely on him for scoring we are in very serious trouble. 2-1 against a decimated Finn team! We could lose this and maybe in the long run it would be good. I am you can see looking at my name a real Habs fan. When we were in the miracle playoff run a few years ago I was unsure if I wanted the habs to do as well as they did. I told my son “do you realize if we do well it means Martin will remain as our coach”. I knew he would be a disaster in the long run. The same as Therrian. That is why the Penguins got rid of him.

• habsguru IS CANADIAN - is Babcock? says:

respectfully, did you not feel like you were watching two teams, all wearing no contact jerseys? Rask played well, but he did see almost everything coming at him. I love the no fighting part, but the physical play must remain. a little crash/bang, and the FIN’s would have been looking over their shoulders going into every corner. That’s our game.

21. habstrinifan says:

You can have the Russian ladies curling team. They are gorgeous I admit. But I was more fascinated with the GB team. I think they are equally as gorgeous and filled with uber personality.

I couldnt take my eyes off Anna Sloan’s face. Her expressions and body language are wonderful.

22. 2014 OLYMPIC MEN’S HOCKEY LEADERS
    Points Leaders
    RANK COUNTRY NAME CLUB POINTS
    1 P. KESSEL TOR 7
    2 M. GRABNER NYI 6
    3 D. DOUGHTY LAK 5
    3 E. KARLSSON OTT 5
    NINE PLAYERS TIED WITH 4

23. Phil C says:

The Subban thing, I get it. I don’t agree with it, but I get it. They have decided to go with Pietrangelo instead which is a reasonable decision, he has played well. I would would have PK in there instead, but either choice is reasonable.

However I don’t understand how you can leave the best point producer in the world sitting on the sideline in a tournament where it is so hard to score. There are only 7 defensemen positions, but there are 13 forward positions. How you can’t find a spot for St. Louis out of 13 spots is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that these coaches are defense-first type of guys and are happy to win every game 2-1.

24. Maritime Ronn says:

Interesting quote from Matt Duchene concerning the size of the ice.

While many are under the impression that the ice dimensions should help teams with speed – or a certain Dman that is offensively gifted yet has played in only 1 game to date, Duchene seems to feel the opposite:

“This is why the NHL should NEVER go to a big ice, it’ll take the scoring out of the game,” Duchene said.
    “You’re able to play way more defensive on the big ice.
    It makes for less offense.
    You’ve seen no offense almost the whole tournament.
    It’s either been a blowout or a real close game.
    That’s been the nature of it.”

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

I just think that the NHL players are unused to the big ice, and aren’t able to figure out how to break down defensive play.

It makes no sense that it would be easier to play defensively with more ice to cover.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ffenliv says:

But what we’ve been hearing repeatedly is that it IS easier, because they’re simply defensively ignoring a lot of the dead spots on the ice that are just too far from the net.

They know the other team has to get in closer, and so they get in to a pretty tight 5-man shell. On NHL-sized ice, you seem to end up chasing more.

It’s counter-intuitive, but seems to be accurate. And, as for not figuring it out yet, look at it as the trap in the NHL game: teams have had decades to figure that out, and it’s still very effective.

• ont fan says:

NHL rinks give you more time at the blue line where as Olympics are shorter. Defensive teams will let you have the puck in the corners or the sides but not at the blue line where its dangerous. So cycle all you want but they won’t give you many scoring chances.

• habstrinifan says:

He’s contradicting his own coach. No one is calling for Canada to fill the net. What I see people calling for is exactly what I heard Babcock say in his press conference. Babcock said he watched the USA/Russian game and was impressed with the excitement provided.

Excitement in our game… please!!!! With all due respects to YOU and DUCHESNE and BABCOCK WHO KNOW INFINITELY MORE THAN I DO … I give you all the credit, all the acknowledgement, all the respect.

I am just a jack-ass fan. But geez it sounds like we have given you this huge cross that you are now carrying, ploddingly.

It kinda hurts listening to how hard you are having it…especially with my ‘small mind’, as Prime Time puts it.

• Phil C says:

I think corelating low scoring to the big ice is a spurious relationship. The low scoring is the result of the best players and coaches in the world competing at a high level. I don’t think the scoring was any higher in Vancouver.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Bit of a non-sequitur there Matty (duchenne).

The US has 15 goals in 3 games. Finland also. Russia have 8 and Canada 11.

• chemic says:

blame the size of ice for your own lacking of scoring is a very cheap way to dodge yourself from the critics.

25. Maritime Ronn says:

From some at HIO’s favorite coach:
    The philosophy is Defence First…and Trust.

Babcock:
    “It’s a hard game. The European game is interesting; it’s all about defense, the end zone is smaller … they get out on your D so quick, the dynamic D we have don’t get to shoot any pucks; they play man on man and they’re on you like glue, and it’s hard, and you have to be committed to doing it.”

The coaching staff was most preoccupied with the defensive game when they got here, hoping to build from the back out and believing, if they can defend as well as possible, the rest will come.
    Canada has found balance, stability and production from its back end

Pierre Lebrun column.

• montrealtilldeath says:

This philosophy is the kiss of death. If we continue on this path and do not play our game we could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Listening to those TSN guys talk about what we should do is like listening o a man describing what it feels like to give birth to a baby. Talking about how great Canada played. What game were they watching? Not the one I was> Reminds me of Bob Cole. There were 2 games for Bob…the one he was calling and the one happening on the ice. I want my game back!!

26. montrealtilldeath says:

I am going to ask a serious question this morning. Do we care more about winning the gold or playing the game of hockey; OUR GAME? what we have been watching is not our game. Paul Coffey at top speed hair flowing, Big Big bursting forth on a rush lifting the whole team, Gretzky to Kurri, the Flower in full flight. That is our game!Not the “Larry (PK) your out of position” BS. As stated below Doughty scores because he does what PK does..attacks. So if he is successful how much more success would PK get as he is better than Doughty in attacking. Toe Blake always said the best defence is scoring goals. I know some of you do not like soccer but when it is played like the South Americans play it is beautiful like hockey. They tried about 20 years ago to introduce the European defensive style in Brazil to win the World Cup and the fans booed them off the field. The fans would rather lose than allow them to destroy the beauty of the game. By the way if we play OUR GAME we win.,

• Maritime Ronn says:

Doughty does not attack.
      Doughty plays incredible smart 200 foot D hockey and picks his spots.

You’ll notice he rarely takes a big chance that would leave his team in an odd man rush, and he makes great quick passes for the most part.
      If, or when the few times he does go deep, it is because he is aware that a forward has his back.

As for claiming “PK is better than Doughty in attacking”…that’s probably one of the reasons why PK is not playing.
      These teams are not Calgary or Carolina.
      These teams are clogging up the middle and there is nowhere to go.
      A wrongly timed rush by a Dman in this type of hockey will most likely turn into a turnover or odd man rush.
      Rest assured, PK will learn (hopefully) and come back a more complete and smarter player

As for your mention of ” OUR GAME” the names you put forth were all greats…. but that was 30-40 years ago and the game has changed – the coaching has changed, especially on the international level, and the competition is better.

• montrealtilldeath says:

The play where PK ran the man down and caught him on a break in the Austria game was because of Doughty’s pinch. There is always a risk reward ratio. I feel given our talent the reward is really high. Just look at the Finland game if the Finnish player had got off a better short or if Carey was not sharp, which he was, we lose in OT. Ridiculous. It should not have come to this. We have too much talent. By the way it was not 30 or 40 years ago.

27. JUST ME says:

I adore the olympic games because it is such a reminder of the past and at the same time a window on the future that when the stakes are high you can see the only thruth possible.

Blurred vision…..A month ago on HIO..Fire Therrien! Hire Babcock at once !

Blurred vision ….back to today on HIO. Remove Babcock ! …Won`t play P.K…..has no clue…

What do you mean it never changes in MTL and it does not matter who is the coach even for other teams ? Bergevin must be laughing his heart out with HIO these days !

28. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Good morning from sunny Amsterdam!
    (actually it’s afternoon here…)
    On my way home from a very drink-filled weekend in Birmingham, England, and looking forward to catching up with the hockey highlights!

I checked in here once or twice, and discovered that The Best Coach In The NHL (one that MB was unable/unwilling/too incompetent/too xenophobic to get), Mike Babcock, sucks.

This must be a very upsetting discovery for Michel Therrien, who formerly cherished his Suckiest Coach accolades awarded to him from the clever clogs on this very forum.

Well it’s a funny ol’ world, innit?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• PsyCONADIAN29 says:

Sounds like a great trip Matty…Enjoy! I would suggest taking part in some of Amsterdam’s “cafes” before reading comments here…

Like I said on Saturday, that Dan Bylsma must hate Italian Americans. I cannot believe he didn’t dress Pacioretty! Or maybe it’s because Patches married a Russian?
      Bylsma is only successful because he has Crosby and Malkin and Letang!

29. mksness says:

So subban is viewed as an offensive D man who didn’t score in the game he played and canada has 6 other goals from defence men. Doubt he’ll see the ice again baring an injury or a horrible performance from one of the other D in a canada win; even there, can’t change a winning lineup lol

canada’s opposition seems fine with canada playing in the corners. kinda hard to score from there. However, if the cycling play opens up big shots from the D maybe that is the way to win in this tourny.

30. CJ says:

Good morning!

Any news on when the Habs return to practice? Hoping to see Chucky back on the ice and am curious to see where he fits in the lineup. Additionally, hoping Bournival and Moen are now healthy. I anticipate changes ahead.

Heading out for the last day of Winterlude here in Ottawa. Happy Family Day to those enjoying the time off in Ontario and Happy President’s Day to my American friends.

31. Habfan17 says:

I read this article on Doughty and it hit me, this is what is wrong with Subban. Therrien has beaten that intangible out of Subban’s game.

A quote from the article.
    “He plays loose out there,” Carter said. “He’s not scared to try and make plays too and I think that’s what make him such a dynamic player.”

That is what is hurting Subban and has changed. He seems afraid to screw up a every time he gets the puck and he is tentative in everything he does. I get he sometimes need to be guided to hold back a bit and wait for openings, not force them, but Therrien needs to channel it, not destroy it!

Habfan17

• montrealtilldeath says:

Absolutely!!! I see the same thing. He should listen to the advice the Great One (Gretzky) gave him when he asked him for advice in Washington. The Great One said “play your game”. Wayne knows!!!

• habstrinifan says:

“When his confidence is going [and] he’s feeling good about himself he can do anything out there. It’s pretty amazing to watch.”

This says it all I think. I challenge even the most inveterate of Habs management’s supporters to find, within the HABS organization, a pattern of an unflinching and prolonged confidence building attitude towards Subban.

For the HABS it has always been the impression that having Subban is very painstaking…. like managing the black sheep of the family.. and now it seems to be Team Canada’s turn.

P.K has shown more resiliency than I could have ever mustered in a similar atmosphere at a similar age.

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

(you don’t think it might be the media that has built this image? I don’t recall any quotes like that from management, except for answers from leading questions from the journos)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habstrinifan says:

True of course… the media jumps on perceptions and digs for attention grabbing nuggets. But EVEN YOU must admit when you look back that Therrien, JM, and MB have supplied foddder in their own words. In fact the only recent ‘management’ employee who did not seem to be painstakingly dealing with having P.K on the Montreal Canadiens was the much maligned PG… who basically said nothing about players.

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

I think that when journalists feed coaches/players/whatever with leading questions, the answers can only ever confirm what people want it to confirm. I think the thing they liked dealing with least with regards to PK were the constant questions about him. Otherwise, he seems to be a very good player to coach, from what I’ve gleaned.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Nasty old Therrien, eh?
      Beating the intangibles out of young men…

There ought to be a law.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan17 says:

ironic isn’t it, Subban was drafted because of those qualities that can’t be learned and Therrien is trying to beat them out of him.
        I hope that Subban can hang on until Therrien is gone.

Subban strikes me as the kind of player that would make a mistake and learn from it without having to be benched! Guidance is a great thing, shackles are not!

Habfan17

32. montrealtilldeath says:

Listening to Babcock reminds evokes memories of Jacques Martin behind the bench writing in his little book. “I know I am right! I know I am right” I………….RIGHT!

Put some firepower out there!! “When you have an overwhelming force use it!! -Sun Tzu.

33. Habfan10912 says:

I know I’m biased when it comes to PK but even so I have a hard time thinking that anyone would put Vlasic ahead of PK on any list.

Oh well, at least PK is enjoying the Olympic experience and getting some rest at the same time.

34. Fool of Chu says:

The team Canada ices is close to devoid of any pulse.
    Injecting Subban would shatter the paradigm of well calculated, risk-free hockey.

35. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. I see the mods are sleeping in this morning. Starting times for the play in games are here:

• Ron says:

The mods are only around when someone uses the a hole remark to wards you Jim and gets booted like funky did yet PT can call someone a F idoit and he remains afoot. Funky gets thrown out…makes us wonder jolly Jim what goes here sometimes. :D

36. Cal is Canadian says:

Babcock going for gold. I guess he likes Bow’s and Peter’s diagonal passes in the neutral zone that get intercepted 5 or 6 times a game. When Switzerland ekes by Canada, then I’ll be able to fully express what I think of the “brain” trust that’s ruining, er, running Team Canada men’s hockey team.

• montrealtilldeath says:

When I look at all the team of experts or “wise men” helping make the line up decisions and they come up with eliminating the Art Ross and Norris trophy winners!! Jesus only had 3 “wise men” at his birth.

37. Maritime Ronn says:

This should make for an interesting Monday morning…

@FarhanLaljiTSN: RT @ArponBasu:
    “I’m going to be honest with you, Hamhuis and P.K. don’t really have a chance” – Mike Babcock, who likes his three pairs on …

38. scarboro_habitant says:

Babcock : “Hamhuis and Subban haven’t got much of a chance. The pairs are good, real solid.”

Anna is so… zen.

Sveeeep, Sveeeeep!!! Like some of you, watching Russian ladies curl.

41. CH Marshall says:

Helloo Russian ladies curling!

42. habstrinifan says:

It’s midnite! HIO is in turmoil. And one of the main reasons again is Subban. It’s always Subban it seems.

And so I am thumbing through the recent threads and see the preciously prophetic title for Feb 11th 2014. Stu Cowan puts it “Subban role with Team Canada … a mystery”.

Well get this moderators! It’s midnite and I dare you:

Subban’s role with Team Canada has turned out to be the same as Subban’s role with the HABS.

He’s the BLACK SHEEP of the Family. Controversial?

43. The_Truth says:

I get this is a Habs site and Subban is a fan favorite, but this is team Canada on a world stage and there are a lot more important things than Subban. It’s what 6 games? As long as they keep winning, no matter how, that is what is important. In a week, the NHL will resume and everyone can go back to bashing Therrien, DD, Murray and Gio or whoever and it will be all good.

44. SlovakHab is impressed after game 3. Good luck Canada vs Finland! says:

Here’s a quiz for you all, crazy cats.

Name 1 Czech & 1 Slovak hockey player that have represented 3 different countries internationally, one of them being team Canada.

45. UKRAINIANhab says:

1. Not playing PK Subban
    2. Not playing St.Louis
    3. Not playing Kunitz with Crosby (reason k made the team)
    4. Not playing Pk Subban over Dan Hamhuis!! :0
    5. Not playing Bergeron at Centre (faceoffs)
    6. Not establishing a 4th line
    7. Not picking Lucic

• The_Truth says:

If all these things you listed were done, that would result in what again? A 5-1 win and a super exciting game?

The team won and will regroup for next game. It isn’t easy and they are getting better. I thought the players were all quite good and just have to work on getting action to the net. The team defensive effort was masterful so far this week and they are very disciplined, which Canada has struggled with in the past.

I enjoyed Babcocks squinting when he was answering those pesky media questions. Makes him look extra smart.

I am sad to say but watching team Canada makes me miss the Habs.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

CRAP! Coming from You as well!!!!!!!!! Makes one realize how bad Canada has played.

• The_Truth says:

C’mon, Canada wasn’t that bad. They totally dominated the game. They just had a hard time getting grade A scoring chances. It’s frustrating and the forwards have to get more action to the net instead of cycling endlessly, but that Finn team was very impressive. They smothered every Canada forward in front of the net and very rarely lost their man in the defensive zone. There just was no space for Canada and they really were trying.

I really enjoyed watching both teams in their own zone and how they were so heads up without the puck. Overall the game was not exciting, but hey. They all can’t be. Canada will look at video and will get better offensively. They have many of the best players in the world and will adjust.

48. Willy the bum says:

I have the feeling Babcock was using Hummus… oops, I mean Hamhuis, to play the preliminary games where in this case the teams may think are easy to beat. I’m sure Babs will use Subban (and St-Louis) to play the tough games like Russia or U.S.A., to milk this adrenaline… well, to up their ante, so to speak.

Not bringing the two back the next game, what is the point of them being in the team in the first place? Like if the two will screw up Canada’s chance for the Gold or even any metal. Without the two, I rather watch the water goes round in the toilet than seeing the kind of boring games they play (to be honest, today’s game was just blah)
    I get a bit excited watching Subban on his 7-8 minutes of ice time in the Austria game, getting an extra kick out of things.

So again without Subban, picking up the Gold seems kinda bland.

49. durocher says:

Back to the Habs… we have:

Max-DD-Gally
    Briere-Pleks-Gio
    Bourque-Eller-Prust
    Moen-White-Weise

Chucky and Bournival also should be healthy and available after the break.

There’s too many bodies, it seems. Who should be traded, and for whom?

50. Plekasuares says:

Lol all you Babcock people. No art Ross or Norris playing…justify that?!

• adadi says:

Honestly I’ve considered Babs the best coach in the league for the last few years. I wonder if the tub (Julien) has something to do with his decisions.

• The_Truth says:

There are a lot of great players on the team and right now PK and St Louis are on the fringe. Obviously, Babcock, Hitchcock, Juien, Yzerman and the gang feel that is the best for the team. They have watched and studied each player 100x more than us and I have to agree with them.

Putting PK as a 7th Dman won’t hurt anything, but he will play like 4mins per game. Can’t see him moving ahead of Weber, Pietrangelo or Doughty and there is good reason for that. PK had a great season last year and won the Norris, but isn’t the best Dman in the world. Is Bobrovsky the best goalie because he won the Vezina?

PK’s last 17 games 1 goal, 5 assists, -7. I mean PK is the number 7th dman for a reason here. Defensively he is not as polished as some of the others. As for St Louis, I suspect he will be back in next game as well as probably PK. But if you think he will get more than 4-5mins tops, you will be disappointed. The defense is playing masterfully as they are and are the strength of the team.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

All im asking is for the #7!!!

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Good post Truth….doubt many will appreciate it though. I think PK is close but he really wasn’t playing well in the last 10 games or so. Also he has to start moving the puck to the lead open man more. Too often he makes the forwards wait for him. Crazy thing is he has NEVER scored on one of those solo rushes of his that I have seen. I watch every game the Habs play. I can’t be sure how I feel about his defensive play…he turns over the puck quite often but so do most d men….including ll the so called great ones. However some of them do have a knack of hitting the lead forwards…Markov was an still is to a good degree like that….not as good as he once was likely.

51. scarboro_habitant says:

mike babcock – “we`re going to make line-up changes for sure”.

• adadi says:

Let’s spell it out for Babs shall we. Kunitz is useless. He sits. Any other decision makes me doubt Babs’ brilliant coaching ability. Also PK in Hamhus out. Really not complicated. Let’s shelve the political bull shall we.

52. PrimeTime says:

The comment section on any website is full of people who crave validation.

53. PrimeTime says:

I’ve always said that the same Hab fan idiots who post conspiracy theories or just criticize no matter what would do the same no matter what team they supported. This week is just proof. Too predictable! Small minds!!

• habs_54321 says:

hab fans = just as bad or worse than leaf fans.

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

Whoa – hold the fort ! THAT shot is way below the belt !
        :cry:

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Just a Habs Fan says:

D Mex…take a look at the Leafs blog site and tell me the they are not identical to ours…….same words different teams…..if you didn’t see the posters names you could easily think you were on here. Seriously I often find myself thinking that many of the posters are kids that just come in and check and reply….I picture them like I see them everywhere these days…….working 4 different sites at once…no focus and in some cases don’t watch the games either…..the comments on here more times than not don’t have any thought or at least no suggestion of being backed by knowledge of the subject of hockey

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

Interesting thoughts – thanks for taking time to post these comments !

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• SlovakHab is impressed after game 3. Good luck Canada vs Finland! says:

Oh wow. Thanks guys!!
        Good to hear that we like each other here.

• habs_54321 says:

im sorry but you cannot deny the amount of homerism and bias from habs fans is equivalent too leaf fans both very passionate fan bases.

• SlovakHab is impressed after game 3. Good luck Canada vs Finland! says:

The homerism is normal, we are all Habs fans. But don’t worry, I’m as unbiased as it gets.

Having said that, Price is the best goalie in the world and Subban the best D in the world. They should be both playing each and every game.

54. Bald Canadensis says:

Sometimes it’s best to make bold choices rather than safe ones. I think not playing PK is safe … as is not choosing players like Giroux, Hall or Seguin but going with guys like Nash and Sharp. They are all fine players, but they are safe choices IMO. Mind you, I haven’t formed a correct opinion so far this century.

55. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I decided to change my avatar for the Olympics. It’s dedicated to the Art Ross and Norris trophy bench warmers…LMFAO Babd#$k

56. Plekasuares says:

If
    Crosby is the best he should be able to play with wingers like Briere and Parros

57. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Wanna clear out the opposition clogging up the front of the net? Put Subban in there, they will start to scatter when he winds up.

58. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Maybe instead of putting guys together that like each other, maybe they should have put guys together that hate each other (e.g., Crosby-Giroux, Toews-Thorton, Lucic-Subban, etc.). Maybe there needs to be more internal competition.

59. monmick is Canadian says:

@DDO_Habs_fan Thanks.

60. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

This is why Toews should have been captain. He doesn’t need to “choose” his wingers.

61. frontenac1 says:

Crosby better get his game together fast. Maybe Babcock should bench him for a game. Send a message.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Put him on the wing and tell him to score or else…

• CH Marshall says:

10 minutes would do the trick I think

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Politics is the engine running this Olympic scenario. As long as that happens they will never sit Crosby but they will blend until the end to find a “best match ” for him. So much of sports is simply politics. Overall I think we have a good team but surely they can play better. Someone offered a theory that too many of these guys are used to being the “go to ” guy that they are not effective at supporting the other guy in many situations.

62. commandant says:

Fixing the Kunitz mistake

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

63. UKRAINIANhab says:

Its time for Babcock to man up. Play Subban. Its ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous. Its ridiculous. This team lacks offense! Play frickin Subban. Subban is better than EVERY defenseman other than Weber and Doughty. Norris trophy winner and art ross are not playing. Give me a break.

I quite frankly cannot see these coaches justifying not going with Price in the next game and riding him unless he bombs. But, my man love for Subban far supersedes my liking of Price and thus unless Subban is in the lineup of the guys who are not even in the same league as he is (I don’t buy left/right BS), I can’t master an ounce of support for this team.

However, Subban issue aside, Babcock has a far more glaring problem – this team can’t score sh!t. Too many primadonnas not wanting to pay the price. Pretty passes, cute little plays, little putting themselves on the line.

Doughty and Weber have been the studs but beyond that this team looks like Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday night sucking the life out of everything.

• The Capitalist Pig says:

The Canadians will always be under tremendous pressure to select the best players based on skill without any regard to function. That will always hamstring Team Canada. Say what you will about Brian Burke but he chose a team based on function that came within a donker goal in Vancouver of winning the gold medal.

• The Juice says:

The problem with Team Canada right now is not the overabundance of skill, its the underutilization of it by their coach and his system.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”
        @JohnnytheJuice

• The Capitalist Pig says:

The time to let ‘er rip has unfortunately passed Babcock by. Can’t take any chances now. Hell, I could see him going with Luongo in the next game agaunst the Swiss.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Totally agree. Love Doughty but he is not a natural scorer. Look at his record. If we come to depend on him for this we are in serious trouble. The 2 goals Tukka looked weak on. We had better find some firepower. The US is not trapped in this BS consensus nonsense in terms of the lineup. As Cherry says the Art Ross trophy winner and the Norris trophy winner in street clothes. Do you realize how idiotic this looks. Oh we did this slow start last time in Vancouver and won. That was yesterday. That kind of thinking does not work. We are now in sudden death. A offensive stinker against the Swiss and we could be done. The inherent superiority attitude does not work. We have the most potent players on the planet. Use them. Forget this defensive over cautious BS. I saw this for 3 years with the idiot Jacques Martin. The Oilers with Gretzky, Kurri, Messier Coffey etc just turned on the juice and let it flow. They knew they could win and could out score any other team. Sun Tzu in the Art of War would say if you have an overwhelming capability use it.

• The Capitalist Pig says:

Considering that the round robin eliminated no one, Babcock should have been way more adventurous. Team Canada won the gold by the slimmest of margins in Vancouver. Gold is gold, but I wouldn’t thump my chest about it.

65. DoopsyDiddler says:

Canada kinda lucked out. We probably get Switzerland next while the US get The Czechs.

Also I think a Russia – Canada final is likely.

66. munch17 says:

The reason we have no forwards in Hamilton is that 2011 and 2010 we took D-men with our number one picks ( NB and JT ) and in both those years we had no number 2 and 3 picks.
    In 2009 we had # 2 pick and in 2008 no # 1 pick.
    Hopefully in the next couple years we will see the kids from the 2012 and 2013 drafts – years we traded for picks as opposed to trading them away.

67. Bash says:

It’s gold or nothing!

Screw this defence, defence, defence system system.
    All it does is give other teams a chance.

LET THE DOGS OUT!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

68. boing007 says:

A brief lick from Dan Hicks:

Richard R

69. monmick is Canadian says:

@DDO_Hab: What is the “WI”?

70. UKRAINIANhab says:

I wish we had Jagr :(

71. GL says:

All NHL players and the best they can do is win a 2-1 game in overtime. don’t say much for some NHL players not only that. Playing against a team with a lot of injuries. The Finns should be proud of what they accomplished today unlike Canada!!

72. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

RE: Leblanc situation in Hamilton

Leblanc is stuck in a bad scenario. He is good enough to play third line in NHL but not physically strong enough. He wants to play in the top 6 but he is just not fast and skilled enough. According to some rumors I heard in the WI, Habs management told him to bulk up over the summer. He didn’t. He trained but did not weight train. This supposedly pissed off MT and MB as they did not see anything different at training camp from previous years. The impact was even worse with so many players coming back stronger (e.g., Bournival). This is why supposedly he was sent down so quickly. I am not sure what his Habs future is but if he does not strengthen himself, he might as well call it quits and go back to Harvard.

73. monmick is Canadian says:

Lehkonen is Finnish and Leblanc is finished…

74. monmick is Canadian says:

Lehkonen is Finnish

75. SmartDog says:

I just read some notes about Hamilton below. I’ve said this before… if our pipeline is so good, how come Hamilton sucks?

More to the point – where are our forwards? Bergevin, what have you done for us lately?

Is Leblanc looking for a trade? He sure seems to be useless in Hamilton. I wish there was a way to just send guys home – like a rule that if they get cut from their team they have to sit out for a year.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• boing007 says:

I watched the Bulldogs play last night and it looks like Leblanc is probably sick of playing in the AHL.

Richard R

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

Other than the D, it’s pretty thin in HAM right now. Gallagher and Chucky skipped the AHL due to our lack of depth in MTL and we missed a whole generation’s worth of restocking when we didn’t get anything for Koivu, Souray, Komi and co in Bob’s time at the helm.

From what I hear, the real offensive talent is still abroad (Collberg and De LaRose) and in junior (Hudon, Bozon, Crisp and McCarron… the latter being a bit of a project). That’s 6 forwards right there.

Maybe we stock up some more if we offload some UFAs and veterans at the deadline. It’s going to take a while to restock, especially if we keep the likes of Gio, Markov and Moen at the deadline…

• zephyr says:

I don’t think mb is to blame here. andrighetto is 1 of his picks. our best fwd prospects are guys drafted in the last 2 yrs incl McCarron, crisp, de la rose, vail, bozon, collberg, maybe even gregoire & reway. we also have some size there. about time.
      what I saw was that our fwds in Hamilton are unimpressive outside of andrighetto. Thomas doesn’t look like he’ll make it either.

• adadi says:

After two years I’d have expected more prospects. This is his team now. This whole story of rebuilding is usually a GM’s way to buy himself time. Oldest trick in the book. Sadly a lot of owners still fall for it.

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

If you took all the kids available at the draft outside of the top 15 that made the jump directly to the NHL from the draft, that list would be very short.

So blaming MB post draft results after two drafts is nonsensical. It takes a couple of years for most kids to make it… if they make it at all (and most don’t…)

Timmins has done well with his draft picks. He’s top of the class in the League for games played by his draft picks. Bob and the Goat’s mistakes will take a while to correct, but there are kids in the pipe. Vail and Reway (good call zephyr) are two more to add to the list.

• ooder says:

imo so far Bergevin has been really meh.
      Can’t say I blame him either. He came in and had half a season to work with the guys. I think that after a full season and a half he has a feel for the pipeline and who’s going where.
      Also his hands free up with Gionta bouncing this off season

• Fransaskois says:

Our top forward prospects are in Europe. (De La Rose, Lehkonen, Collberg)

Thomas (who is arguably our top offensive prospect in Hamilton) has struggled with injury.

…. and Lefebvre is a bad coach who runs a defensive system.

• Mark C says:

Crazy talk. So it’s MB’s fault his prospects are too young and thus ineligible for the AHL?

• JUST ME says:

Our main farm team is not up to par …for now. One must take note that the vast majority of players in Hamilton are from the Gainey/Gauthier era. There should be a good clean up next season since about the third of the roster will be renewed with Bergevin`s choices that are playing junior or in their country.
      Just do not know what will happen with LL . He is a first round choice after all . Maybe with better team mates he will do better but still a few options are to be though of, Graduate in MTL ? Trade?

I feel he has been brought in MTL too fast and deserves another chance. It will still be 10 times less than the chances Blunden got…

• commandant says:

Other than Andrighetto none of Bergevin’s picks are old enough to play in the AHL… What is the guy supposed to do, he can’t rush the players he picks.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.