Liveblog: Olympic Games, Game 3: Canada 2, Finland 1, OT

Team Canada beat Finland 2-1 Sunday at the Sochi Olympics on Drew Doughty’s goal in overtime.

Doughty opened the scoring for Canada in the first period and Tuomo Ruutu replied for Finland in the second period. With the victory, Canada advances directly to the quarterfinal round on Wednesday as the No. 3 seed and will play the winner of Tuesday’s playoff qualification game between Switzerland and Latvia. Canada’s quarterfinal game will be at noon Thursday and if there are no upsets through the quarterfinal round, Canada would play the United States in Friday’s semifinals.

The Canadiens’ Carey Price got the start in goal for Team Canada Sunday, making 14 saves in the victory. Tuuka Rask made 25 saves for Finland.

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban was made a healthy scratch along with forward Martin St. Louis. Dan Hamhuis took Subban’s spot on defence, while Patrick Sharp took St. Louis’s spot.

Another change had Sidney Crosby being split up from Chris Kunitz, his regular linemate with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Crosby started the game on a line with Jamie Benn and Patrice Bergeron.

HIO’s Mike Boone is blogging live along with other hockey writers from Postmedia News during every Team Canada game in Sochi. You can read the live blog from Sunday’s game by clicking here.

Here is the Team Canada lineup from Sunday’s game:

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis

Goaltenders
Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

Scratches
Martin St. Louis – P.K. Subban – Mike Smith

(Photo by Jean Levac/Postmedia Olympic Team)

Live Team Canada game blog with Mike Boone, Postmedia News

Let’s not see that Canada-Finland matchup ever again, by Mike Boone

Babcock wrong to bench Subban, St. Louis, by Jack Todd

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1,616 Comments

1. L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

test

2. Plekasuares says:

Subban!

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…LOVE P.K. …BUT …He is NOT in the midst of $ 8 million per season

…though that likely will be the starting point of any conversation with M. Bergevin

…if I was Babcock I would not insert P.K. In the top 6 either, but a choice between Hamhuis and P.K. for the 7th swing man is a no-brainer

…if Babcock makes that obvious decision, I see P.K. taking that opportunity to become a hero before these Games are concluded

4. naweed235 says:

If anything, this whole team Canada situation has shown us one thing: Habs fans will complain about coaching decisions regardless of whether you have arguably the best coach in the world (Babcock) or a Therrien running your team.

I think too many people are losing their panties over PK not playing. If you try to be unbiased for a second, you’ll agree that Babcock has no reason pulling one of Doughty, Webber or Pietrangelo in favor of Subban as they have all been fantastic so far. Also, there is no way that he would risk playing a right handed D on the left side just for the hell of it, in a short tourny during which every shift can impact the end result. As far as the spot of the 7th D goes, I don’t think Canada needs help on the PP from the back end whereas, their PK might require it; that’s why Hamhuis, the more defensively minded guy is in and PK is out.

Enjoy the fact that our Pricey is running the nets and be happy for PK to have the opportunity to take part in such an event and learn from some of the best players in the room. No doubt that he will be one of the main guys in 4 years.

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

First, I believe Subban brings more to the team than Pietrangelo.

Second, I believe Subban on the left side is better than Vlassic (11 turnovers against an AHL calibre roster in game 2)

Third, Subban is better on the power play than Sharp, a forward.

Fourth, Hamhuis will not be playing on the penalty kill. He is not needed there.

Fifth, I believe Subban is probably very honoured to have been named to the team and grateful that he is there. And sitting next to Martin St Louis in the press box is kind of a cool experience as well.

And sixth, no one is losing their panties, which is a rude expression implying that te men on this site are somehow not as manly as you are?

But other than that….Excellent Post!

5. ClutchNGrab says:

Anybody remembers the pairing from the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver?

I am tempted to say:
    Keith/Seabrook
    Weber/Doughty
    Pronger/Niedermayer
    Boyle

Is that right?

Where is that left on left, right on right side comes from? Is it because of the international ice?

6. Max says:

Babcock seems pretty cantankerous.I think a jovial,skilled lad like Subban would throw him over the top.

The fact is both Subban and St.Louis should be playing every game and Hamhuis and Kunitz should be sitting.

The Canadian team seems too stressed and too focused on not losing the games rather than showing their speed and skill and being let loose.I think it’s a coaching issue.

They’ve been a painfully boring team to watch so far.Hopefully they’ll pick it up for the important games.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I just wonder if any of the PK posters give much thought to Babcock being the head coach of this team and probably wants to dictate a game plan according to his philosophy and knowledge of the opposition. The defence that currently is on team Canada seems to me to be really powerful and have scored 50% or so of the goals the team has up to this point….where do you slide PK in at this juncture and how do you justify pulling anyone out if you see how successful the defense in presently. Just for the record I think PK is a great talent but come on there are some really greaty talents on defense as we stand.

7. Thomas Le Fan says:

Dear Dipsydoodler: Must I defend myself against slurs upon my character from someone I’ve never met and doesn’t know me from Adam? Must I refute your straw man accusations concerning your version of my beliefs?
    This is a hockey site not a debating forum or I would gladly have that debate. Facts vs opinion is always fun but I’ll decline since you are likely to resort to your usual game of ad hominem attacks and other forms of illogic. As it is, I merely wish to see an entertaining hockey game. I’m hoping that Canada vs USA, if it occurs, will be that game since both sides will likely, you know, play “hockey” as we know and love it . Love ya! Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• frontenac1 says:

Some guys like watching soccer.I don”t.Some guys don’t like watching golf.I do. Some guys don’t like watching Ladies Curling……wait a minute, all guys do…where the hell am I going with this?

8. DoopsyDiddler says:

For soccer fans, anyone watching Man City – Barcelona this pm? Probably the two most skilled teams in the world right now.

9. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The advantage of having a seventh D-man is that if someone gets injured, you have an immediate replacement. Who are the most important D-men on this team? Obviously Doughty, Webber, Keith and Pietrangelo. If one of them gets hurt, it can affect the team. Three of them are right-handed. Who is the best to have waiting in case of an injury? PK, according to Babcock’s left-right preference (not considering the obvious talent advantage).

This just does not make any sense except that he does not trust PK at all not to make a mistake (while others are clearly making them). Also, if you think PK is part of the team’s plan for the next games, why not dress him at least? Hamhius won’t be there next time. Sorry but Babcock is hard headed, just like he is with using Kunitz.

• ClutchNGrab says:

You have Weber, Doughty and Pietrangelo, it doesn’t make sense to reduce the ice time of either of those defencemen just to give a few minutes of ice time to Subban. Same can be said for Hamhius with the distinction that Vlasic and Bouwemeester are not as good as the three right handed ones.

At the end of the day, team Canada selected Subban to prevent an uproar, from what it looks like had no chance of being one of the starting defencemen, I hope he’ll make them pay when he gets back with the Habs.

10. commandant says:

“That being said, the evidence points to P.K. Subban being Canada’s best offensive weapon from the blueline, and probably the second best defender behind Alex Pietrangelo too.”

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Gerald – Re your comment about overkill on hockey at the Olympics.

Right now, the TSN’s top story is that Carey Price will start in goal TOMORROW. I see that as being a bit unfair to all the competitors who are participating right now.

Sports = Entertainment = Advertising, Merchandizing & Media = $$$$$$

• Sportfan says:

Especially since we just won a silver in speed skating.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• JUST ME says:

Well yes and no…I agree about the tendancy to go overboard when it comes to our national sport but look at the comments on Hio and their content. Some live,breathe and act according to how their team has done.

And yes it is unfair cause we only hear and see 99 % of our athletes every 4 years around that time of the year when actually they deserve much more recognition doing what they do for the pure passion of it.

12. Sportfan says:

Man Charles Hamelin and Mariane St-Gelais a couple of crashes can really spoil you day. They both won a medal so I hope the crashes don’t leave a bitter taste in their mouth.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• JUST ME says:

It has been difficult for them at Sotchi .Unfair in a way cause the media never shows how good they do the rest of the year but they must perform NOW . That`s what olympic games will do sometimes…Still they are champs for me !

13. habsguru IS CANADIAN - is Babcock? says:

Question:

Would PK not crack the top 3 D on any other team in the olympics?

regarding ice time, ALL of the players have to eat some humble pie, and PK is asked to eat the bakery!

is he better than Webber… not today, Doughty… not likely, the rest you can argue either way.

with my rose (habs coloured glasses) removed, I still can’t shake the feeling that PK was taken to avoid answering the tough questions. not sure how Hamhuis even fits into the mix, there are likely 14 D I would have taken before him.

is PK’s “strong personality” too much for pro hockey in 2014?
    should all associated with our game celebrate a win by looking like they are half way through an anal probe like Steve Y did on Sunday?

Hockey = Humble, being a great teamate and a great person in general. I encourage my son to model this. But I sure feel proud when he makes a big play, and in a respectful fashion, points to us in the stands with a smile. is that so bad?

• Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

The only answer is that the whole group of them are motivated by something other than hockey sense.

• Caesar is Canadian says:

I thnk the biggest reason is Hitchcock. and the ole boys network. PK is equal to Kieth, Weber, and Doughty all returning from 2010 he should be 4th D, but Jaybo / AP are Blues so Hitchcock is surely not going to hurt their confidence and relationship. Vlasic is a lefty or at least I think he is cause I haven’t seen him play. He’s invisible and at times I forget he’s even on this team.
      Also why don’t the Russians, or all teams for that matter, have their names in Cyrillic on their Jerseys?

14. Un Canadien errant says:

That no call on the Norwegian player who tripped Alex Ovechkin is everything that’s wrong with hockey. That all the on-air talent CBC mustered is in lockstep with the referee’s decision just shows that hockey is suffocating itself but won’t stop doing it, since it’s kind of enjoying the light-headed feeling.

The Russians, despite the defensive posture of their opponents, despite the trap, despite the offside rules that limit offensive play and tilt the ice in favour of the team playing anti-hockey, moved the puck up the ice and sprung a player free. He was in the clear, with two steps on his pursuer. The defending player flails at the puck in a desperation dive, and hits the blades of Mr. Ovechkin, who flies forward and falls to the ice.

Somehow, the onus was on the latter to remain upright despite getting tripped by the opponent’s stick, or to do a better job of ‘selling the call’. It wasn’t on the beaten, trailing player to not commit a foul. He’s allowed to commit a half-penalty, or three-quarter trip a player. Only if Alex Ovechkin is 110% tripped is the referee going to blow the whistle.

But yeah, obviously the bigger ice surface doesn’t work, it just means teams use the trap more, so it doesn’t work. It’s not a case of the trapping teams being given two dozen benefits of the doubt when they slash, hook, hold, trip, ….

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I am amazed at how much interference is being let go. I have seen more calls of interference in NHL games than what we are seeing here. Have the referees been mandated to let stuff go, thus keeping games closer?

I still like bigger ice than the present NHL sized rinks, perhaps not as wide as the present IIHF dimensions, but the refereeing at this tournament has been brutal.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

How big is a soccer field? It’s not the size of the ice surface, it’s how the game is played, no?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

15. Habfan10912 says:

I hope we see this Emelin when the NHL returns.

16. Habsrule1 says:

I just want Canada to win. Let’s start with that.

That said, I cannot understand how PK gets the Norris, but can’t crack the top 7 defensemen in Canada. It just makes zero sense. Not only is he top 3 right defensemen in the NHL, but he could play left. Any star defenseman can play their off side. If you don’t believe me, maybe you’d believe a defenseman who payed over 1000 NHL games, Bobby Dollas. I know he wasn’t a star, but I think he’s seen a few of them play.

I question Babcock even more than I have Therrien this year. Maybe Babcock was riding Lidstrom’s coattails. How are the wings doing since he retired?

Go Habs Go!!

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

The left, right argument was a B.S. cover from the beginning. I totally agree.

Babcock does not like the way Subban plays hockey.
      It’s as simple as that.

Team Canada HAD to invite Subban any way. It would have been ridiculously rude to leave Subban at home, and very badly received.

• CJ says:

I like your argument and agree that PK should be in the top seven, however I really wish we would stop using the Norris to justify our reasoning. That was then and this is now. In professional sports its all about what have you done lately. Tyler Myers, Calder trophy winner….. is but one example.

PK’s play during the month of January (following the Dallas game) was not great. Frankly, at times, it wasn’t even good. I firmly believe that this is why he is not in the top 6. I have no issue with that. It the same reason I don’t think what might have happened in the preliminary games was going to have any bearing on Price starting. He has simply been the better goaltender this season and deserved the spot based on play.

To your original point, I see PK as having more value as the X factor (seventh defencemen), but selfishly a motivated PK returning to Montreal might not be such a bad thing.

• Habsrule1 says:

Well, I don’t agree that his play has dropped off that much since he won the Norris. He’s had a couple bad games, but I think everyone knows what you get with him and that’s much more good than bad.

Babcock is, at the very least, brave, given that PK’s first game back is against the wings. Hope he has his best game of the season.

Go Habs Go!!

• CJ says:

I think PK’s play through the beginning of January was very much on par with his Norris winning season. I think his play since the Dallas game has really fallen off, if only because the bar was set so high.

Personally, and perhaps I am being too critical, but I feel the poor play has extended beyong a couple bad games. Again, the bar has been raised and if PK wants and deserves somewhere between $8 and $9 million a season, he will need to find greater consistency. Just my two cents…..

17. Lopaz is Canadian says:

If Russia does not make it to the Gold medal game I will post an apology for all of my Putin insults.

Hopefully they make it, if they know what’s good for them!

18. Sportfan says:

Anyone else semi afraid of the Swiss

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

So Cathal Kelly of Toronto Star writes an article discussing whether Hockey is too important and overshadowing other sports at the Olympics. I can understand the perspective, and perhaps he may a point. But the part I find particularly rich is now you have a personality from TSN, Jennifer Hedger tweeting out the article saying that Kelly is right and Hockey matters too much.

Wonder if she dares writing that tweet if the decision by NHL to go all Rogers goes to TSN instead.

Here is article:

Here is her tweet:
    43 minutes ago
    jenniferhedger: RT @cathalkelly: Brian Stemmle’s right. Hockey matters too much at the Olympics. A column: http://t.co/dpeRCbc92a

• 24 Cups says:

Funny you should bring up that point, Gerald. Just last night I was thinking how events like ice dancing and downhill skiing are as good if not better than hockey. It’s impossible to compare individual and team events, but when it comes to pure skill, precision and training, some winter events far outweigh others.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I read the article yesterday and I believe there are some merits to how the NHL players and Hockey Canada do tend to overshadow many other wonderful athletes, their stories etc…

I can’t be hypocritical here though, I do care much more about the Hockey medal in the Olympics than I do about Canada’s overall medal count. But I just can’t get over a TSN personality now taking the approach of too much hockey.

• AceTen says:

Okay did you actaully just say that ice dancing is better than hockey? Seriously? They don’t even have jumps. Whatever it is you are smoking, please hook some up.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Why that’s positively un-Canadian. However, perhaps they should be thrilled that, so far, very little of the tournament has resembled, you know, hockey.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Sportfan says:

Hockey has a knack of taking away some of the spot light from the rest of the other sports and Canadian Athletes. In 2006 when the mens team played like garbage people claimed it ruined the Olympics taking away from the strong performances that we saw. When we won in 2010 people said that if we didn’t win mens hockey then those Olympics were a bust. So it does have a tendency to overshadow the rest of the games.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

20. SmartDog says:

A good article about Price with nice quotes from teammates:

I get the logic where PK is not playing in that the team has its 6 and they’re doing well. But with Canada needing offense it’s ridiculous that he’s not the 7th D. The Power Play hasn’t been very good, PKs howitzer and strech passes are as good or better than anyone.

If Canada gets bumped out by a goal, there will be talk of “why wasn’t PK in there?”. And rightly so.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• 24 Cups says:

Agreed, SD.

Any difference between Pietrangelo and Subban would be nullified by the Bouwmeester familiarity aspect. That gives Pietrangelo the nod and Hab fans should accept that fact.

If the 7th man is going to play limited minutes, then PK makes more sense as a PP specialist. If by chance a LD gets hurt, I can’t see why stars like Weber or Doughty couldn’t move over to the left side for a period or two. Aside from that point, Canada’s D has played well and I seriously doubt PK would make it that much better. The issue really comes down to circumstance, not talent.

What about St Louis? It’s interesting that at today’s practice Kunitz was back with Crosby. Personally, I think Duchene and Benn are better suited that Kunitz, St Louis or Nash but then there’s the issue of RW and LW. IF the issue is lack of offense, then people might want to talk about Crosby, Toews and Perry, not Kunitz and St Louis.

21. DoopsyDiddler says:

Sorry to bring this up again, but while you can make a (lousy) argument for PK not being in the top 6 (you need to buy that Pietrangelo is better and that the left/right thing is a thing) – but forget about that.

Forget about the top 6 and just answer one question.

Hamhuis versus PK.

There is just NO justification for Hamhuis there. None.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Zero argument from me on the question of Hamhuis vs. PK. That decision seems beyond odd to me.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the only argument is that Hamhuis is not going to try and do too much and he is a steady Eddie. PK can be a bit of a wild child which most coaches are not a big fan of in a short tourney.

I hope PK plays tomorrow and I have a feeling he will. How much on the other hand won’t be a lot

“Lets Go Canada”

• adadi says:

Really disappointed in Babs.

• Maritime Ronn says:

If PK is going to be #7 with 3-5 minutes – not allowed to play his game – or playing nervous which causes mistakes, it’s better he doesn’t play at all.

He can send a meaasge to Babcock right after the Olympics as Detroit comes to the Bell Centre next Wednesday.

• Un Canadien errant says:

From the perspective of a casual hockey observer who has seen both play a lot (mostly on TV), I obviously agree with the fact that P.K. Subban is the superior player by much.

Further, Dan Hamhuis doesn’t bring anything to the table that the other six defenceman he’s playing with can’t do. Some of them are special, think of Shea Weber’s size and strength and rocket of a shot, or Duncan Keith’s vision and mobility. P.K. would bring a powerplay boost, along with unparalleled ability to skate and protect the puck out of trouble and out of the zone.

So Mr. Babcock’s toolbox is more limited than it has to be. He brought two claw-hammers to the job site, in case of who knows, instead of leaving one at home and bringing another tool that could/would be ever more useful in certain situations.

———————————————————————–
      My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• ont fan says:

Don’t think Hamhuis or PK will ever see the ice again unless there is an injury. Cherelli said yesterday we probably will play 2 to 1 games from here on in. If that’s the thinking PK won’t be there.

22. adadi says:

People questioning PK’s attitude again. Does anyone watch him play? Does anyone here him speak? He gives the most measured, thoughtful answers to every question he receives. Would that Doughty and Weber could answer like that, heh. The only attitude PK has is that he is black and in the eyes of too many in the NHL and with Stevie Y’s crew it means that he automatically has attitude. It really is that simple. There is no way that the top 6D on team Canada are more talented than PK. As for Bowmeester, Petrangelo, Hamhus, well let’s just say that how many GMs would pick them over PK in a straight up deal? That’s what I thought.

23. adamkennelly says:

gotta be honest – shutting down the NHL season for this long so we can watch our guys play 3 – and one could argue actually only 2 meaningful games – kinda sucks.

24. Dust says:

OK…Hold on…What did i miss here?
    Canada is 3-0 and has outplayed every opposition so far.
    SO why, when i read the commments here, is everyone bitching about the team. Makes no FN sense. So much negativity on this site.
    Canada is 3-0 in this tourny. Canada is playing well. Canada has a great shot at winning a gold. Enjoy it.

• ont fan says:

They want to win 8 to 0 every game with the Habs players leading the way.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I’ll enjoy it when I see an entertaining game. My tag doesn’t read, “Ice soccer isn’t everything …”

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Do you hate soccer ’cause it’s commie or ’cause it’s unmanly? Or both?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Why … I don’t care for your tone pardner. But since you ask, I said it because it’s … quite evidently boring whether played by manly men who fall down, roll around and cry at the slightest touch, banjo playing communists (former or not) or cute little girls. The latter being tougher than the former, however. Your mileage may vary depending on which you are but I’m entitled to my observation since the “We have ways of making you like soccer” Nazis haven’t completely taken over yet. Besides an armed society is a polite society and soccer players can’t use their arms unless covering their weeping faces.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• chemic says:

he hates soccer because he knows s**t about it!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Ha! You can’t insult me into liking it but nice try. I will observe that, unlike me, you do know s**t.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• frontenac1 says:

If soccer had body checking and fights, I might watch it.

• chemic says:

pff im not a missionary im just a guy who hates ignorance.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Thomas Le Fan also believes that climate change is a conspiracy. I’m not sure if he also believes Barack Obama is a terrorist or merely a terrorist sympathizer.

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

An entertaining game ≠ tons of goals.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Radulov playing like a beast for Russia, sets up goal for Kovalchuk. Norway is done in this one.

26. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

What did Crosby-Kunitz do against the Bruins last playoffs? Oh yeah I forgot…nothing. Maybe they should evaluate players like Kunitz in pressure situations against good opponents instead of while he’s filling the net against weaker ones. Kunitz has the “DD” leash.

If Canada loses, Babcock will become the next “Crawford” with his benching of the Art Ross and Norris winner.

• Kooch7800 says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing St Louis get a shot with Sid. I think he would be the perfect player. Smart vet with experience and he also plays amazing with or without Stamkos. This team really does miss Stamkos

“Lets Go Canada”

27. Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s thinking (hoping) the Habs get Subban to a long term contract at the lastest this summer.
    He has the potential to be a UFA summer 2016.

Several were tossing around the new CBA max. 8 years at anywhere between $8M-9M per year.

Here are PK’s comparables in terms of Cap Hits:

Shea Weber: $7.8M (old CBA-matched 14 year Offer Sheet)
    Doughty: $7M
    Pietrangelo: $6.5M

Duncan Keith: $5.5M (old CBA-13 year deal)
    Letang: $7.2M
    Bouwmeester: $6.68M

Ryan Suter: $7.5M (old CBA-13 year deal)
    Eric Karlsson: $6.5M

Where does Subban fit?
    Even with an increased Cap, does $8M++ make sense?

• 8 x 9.3, all based on what Dion signed for in Toronto.

Before that signing I was inking Subby to 8 x 8

Can’t imagine where Subban would be if he were to get Weber minutes on a nightly basis.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• jimmy shaker says:

Feeling like between 7.6 mill/per to 8 mill/per for about 7 – 8 years is the ideal fit. Add on to that with marky’s contract of 6 mill/per for 3 years and gio’s money is spent really fast.

Shaker out!

• commandant says:

8.5 million IMO.

New higher Cap, and Closer to free agency (2 years vs 4 years away) when compared to Karlson and Doughty.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• CJ says:

Much like King Henrik, we are certainly headed in that direction. The cap should continue to go up and thusly, salaries will continue to rise.

That said, it will be a tough pill to swallow if PK is making $2 million more per season then Pietrangelo or Karlsson. Karlsson I get, simply based on when the contract was signed. He will break Melnyk’s bank during his next negotiation. However, Pietrangelo just signed in the fall (if memory serves me). I have to be honest and please don’t shoot me for saying this, but PK is simply not $2 million a year better then Pietrangelo.

28. GL says:

I can see Canada & USA for Gold – Canada’s Defence and Goaltending will win it all.

29. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Russia scores, hard to see how Norway gets a goal.

30. Cal is a ticked off Canadian because Team Canada thinks PK is not good enough says:

Norway tied 0-0 with Russia after one period. I guess they should have gotten the ice right because so far it’s been lousy. It may cost the Russians a medal.

31. Storm Man says:

Yes bobsleigh is a sport have you seen how they workout? No one on this site would last a day .

32. Storm Man says:

I’m looking forward to a pissed off PK when the season starts again.

33. CCCP CCCP CCCP, mid way through one, 0-0, live on CBC webcast.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

34. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

How would you rate the hockey from an entertainment standpoint at this year’s Olympics vs 2010? Is it better or worse? I missed 2010 so I can’t judge. I will say this about 2014, the women have been a lot more fun to watch than the men. Maybe things will pickup on the men’s side now that we’re past the round robin. Gawd, I hope so…

The men’s hockey hasn’t been very good. Coaching has made the games boring defensive battles, despite the extra room to skate.

The women’s game is the same-old same-old. Only two teams that can play a bit and the rest not so much.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Didn’t see most of them-couldn’t be bothered
      The USA-Russia game was fantastic.

The hockey won’t get interesting until the Semis.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

After today’s elimination/qualification games, the quality of games should improve as most of the weaker competition will be gone. Teams will also finally start playing games that really matter.

Ice conditions at the arena have also been brutal, watching the worlds greatest hockey players struggle to carry a puck isn’t great.

I have enjoyed watching the games from a Go Canada Go perspective, I am hoping the games continue to get better.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Burly. Great point about the ice conditions. The US broadcast has mentioned this in their broadcast as well. Lot’s of bouncing pucks and falling players.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Morning Jim, watching the first period of Russia Norway and the puck is bouncing everywhere. Perhaps de-humidifiers aren’t well made in the Sochi region?

• Habfan10912 says:

Could be. Madison Square Garden has some of the worst ice anywhere and they’ve spent millions on solutions. Chrisadiens had an opportunity to speak to someone with knowledge of the situation and he was told the problem is the mineral content in the water. Who knows, eh?

35. Habfan10912 says:

It looks like Bettman will begin holding the 2018 Games at ransom early this time around. I’ve seen some comments here that some would prefer to let the non NHL’ers play in future games. Not me.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Jim
      Games will be in South Korea not far from Dennnis Rodman’s buddy up north.
      Would much rather see a Canada Cup with a max 8 teams played in North America every 4 years.

It’s time for a proper World Cup of Hockey. One that is held in late August and early September so that it does not screw up the NHL schedule. The NBA is very lucky that basketball can be played in the summer, so the Olympics becomes a showcase for that league. All it does for the NHL is compress the schedule so we see poor hockey more often than not.
      Let the Olympics have a 23 and under tournament like they have for soccer.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Cal. You were in some mood yesterday, eh?

I hear you Cal but I think the North American teams would be at a disadvantage as the KHL and other European leagues would continue sending their players.

I love Ronn’s idea about a Canada Cup every 4 years and your World Cup idea but why not have both or all 3? #GreedyJim

• chemic says:

if your canadian palyers dont want to participate at the world cup, dont blame the world cup for that fact. for example the Sedins were as fast as possible at the world cup last year to play for their country.

soccer at the olympics is complete BS, no one cares about that title and the list of winners pretty much proves that fact.

why should a canada cup be a better option makes no sense to me either?

• Gooooooooooooood Morning Jimmy, add me to the list of having the best at the tournament. Great Nascar reads!!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• Kooch7800 says:

I wouldn’t be shocked if the NHL players were not allowed to go. There is no market growth potential in Korea and with the time difference it makes viewing live difficult.

Any game during the week with Sochi I can’t watch unless it is a replay with work. Watching a reply is just not the same

“Lets Go Canada”

36. Plekasuares says:

So no Subban again? lol. Going to be very very hard to upset yes upset the USA.

37. DoopsyDiddler says:

OK here’s the choice the genie has for you.

On Thursday either Canada wins or its the end of winter. And I mean really the end. We go straight into spring.

What do you choose?

38. CJ says:

Good morning folks. Waking up to another snow storm in Ottawa….sigh.

I’m as much looking forward to seeing lineups at Canadiens practice on Wednesday as I am watching team Canada. That will change in the semi finals, but I can’t imagine the quarterfinal matchup being one for the DVD collection.

Those travelling today, stay safe. Warm weather around the corner…..I think (hope).

Have a great day everyone! CJ

39. BJ says:

@scotland good point on your last paragraph re. Martin and Therrien setting up PK for a not really positive outlook towards him. I could not reply to your reply as that possibility did not exist.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

So he won the Norris in spite of Therrien but he’s being benched by Babcock because of Therrien?

• Habfan10912 says:

He does raise an interesting perspective, Bruce. I wonder how much of PK’s uninspired play the last 10 games or so played a part as well.

Scotland, you mentioned all of PK’s coaches have benched him at some time or another. Since your in the Hammer, were there instances where he was a healthy scratch in Hamilton as well? Was it play or attitude related?

40. Bash says:

Why has Canada had so few PP opportunities? You would think we could force other teams into taking penalties. But that is not happening.
    Are the others too disciplined or or we simply not pushing them hard enough? And if the latter, is this not more fallout from the “caution first” style of play that we are witnessing?

Let the dogs out!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• World class tournament, every player on the ice is the one level above the players who take those stupid penalties.

IE Jeff Carter flying down the right side passing one Finn after another, and not one tried to hook/hold him whereas in the NHL you know someone would attempt to haul him down.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• Maritime Ronn says:

To continue on Shane’s point, you’ll notice a lot of penalties in the NHL (hooking-holding) are lazy penalties or committed by tired players.
        It seems the shifts at this tournament are around 35-40 secs max. and teams use their 4th line more than the NHL

As for Carter flying down the side, and perhaps because of the wider ice (15 feet), there doesn’t appear to be those battles and some teams almost give away the perimeter while clogging up the middle.

41. Maritime Ronn says:

Carey all the way
    Subban no way

@TSNRyanRishaug:2 hours ago
    No power play time for Subban at practice, so likely 8th d

42. Sholi2000’s Olympic Goaltenders

1. CAREY CAREY CAREY
    2. Roberto Luongo
    3. Mike Smith

“It’s kinda fun playing behind a defense core like we have in Team Canada”- Carey Price

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

43. BJ says:

Yzerman/Babcock have one way out, win. Or else the wheel comes off the wing on the logo for both.

44. Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

If Canada loses it will be because they didn’t score enough goals. They’ll end up on the wrong side of a trap and won’t have the game breakers to get it done.

And that my friends will be the end of Babs the great coach. He is going to get crucified for leaving the Norris Trophy winner in the stands. It will be especially bad when PK puts on a clinic against his team and drives them out of the playoffs.

In a way, we should thank Uncle Mike. He’s creating a monster. I’m going to enjoy watching PK light up Howard the Duck or that Swedish Clown the next chance he gets.

Then again… Maybe Price bails Mike out. The irony…

I really hope that when Detroit visit Mtl Habs fans give babcock a welcome he deserves. I think a few beer bottles to the head won’t be out of order. At the very least a few overprised Bell center hotdogs.

What do these Canadian ski/snowboard dopers do all year long in Whistler and Louis? Cause non of them was able to finish a race at one point or another.

47. thehabsfan29 says:

Just out of curiosity who would you rather have

Eller or Hodgson?

48. makka83 says:

Maybe the lack of scoring for the Habs and team canada is because of Price….

Price in nets: 2.5 goals a game
    Lou in nets: 6 goals a game!!!!

49. adadi says:

U2 doing a rooftop performance for the first Jimmy Fallon
    Tonight show. Impressive.

I miss Michael Therrien.

• adadi says:

Well, all of this confirms what I’ve thought for some time. Most coaches are not that good. Up until now I thought Babs was an exception to the rule. Sadly Babs you no longer have the honor of being in the same company as Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman. BTW, I would put our illustrious MT at the bottom of of the coach depth chart.

51. Habilis Canadianis says:

From tsn.ca:

“We’ve got three really good pairs,” Babcock told NHL.com on Monday. “I’ll be honest with you, Hamhuis and P.K. haven’t got much of a chance. I mean the pairs are good. There hasn’t been any changing of players there just because they’ve been real solid.”

Fine, I get that. P.K. is better than at least 3 of those players, but fine. But now he can’t use the “I’m dressing Hamhuis because I want an extra left shot” argument. He has 3 solid pairs. That’s all you get in the NHL.

Plus, with most of the offense coming from the blue line so far, how can you not dress P.K. as the 7th guy? Hamhuis adds nothing. He can play defense… Yeah, I think Keith or Weber or any of the top 6 can handle that role just fine. P.K. brings something that only Doughty and Weber have shown so far, and that’s the ability to change the game with one shot.

We need offense, especially if we end up facing the Swiss. P.K. should dress. If he doesn’t, my opinion of Babcock (very high, atm) drops a notch or 10.

52. adadi says:

Babs plans to stay the course. PK will not get a chance to have an impact. Really sad group of coaches and managers. Frankly, I am starting to hope this team loses the next game.

Also, when is everyone going to realize that Sid is a problem on any team. The Pens have always played better as a team when the kid is not playing. He has more talent than anyone else on the planet but he is NOT a team player. When they won the cup Sid was not a factor. Malkin was the real star.

• montreal ace says:

What exactly is the problem with Crosby, as I only see good things from him.

• Ktowner says:

Sorry, I can’t agree with you about Crosby. Sure, I’d have PK in the line up if I was the coach I’d also have St. Louis.
      But then again, I’m not the coach.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

When the Penguins last won the cup and Malkin was the playoff MVP Mike Babcock put Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the same line and played them against Crosby for the whole seven game series. Sidney Crosby has been the biggest factor in 99% of the hockey games his ever played.

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

Sid by virtue of being the man draws the worst match ups on the planet. Other teams have to play their best shut down guys against him or he will bury them. Malkin benefits enormously from Sid being on the team and not so much the other way around. (Sid draws the Pleky and Bergeron match ups… not Malkin).

I would imagine that is still happening even though he’s surrounded by world class talent this go round.

He’s a hard player to mesh with, that much is evident. He does everything at lightning speed and few players can keep up. But I wouldn’t take him out of the lineup. By his presence alone, he forces the opposition to adjust their game plan to contain him… and that frees up other guys.

I thought St Louis did OK with Sid. Not sure why Babs split them up.

• Timo says:

I don’t know if I want them to lose or don’t want them to win.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Timo! I do not know either. I an really torn but if they lose they will just blame Carey. If not for that it would be go Swiss go! They are ruining the game; OUR GAME; in an attempt to win at all cost. It’s boring, boring. I would rather lose than sacrifice the beauty in hockey. But with these players if they play our game with PK in I am absolutely certain we will win.The danger here is if they win this way it will cement this style of play.

53. habs001 says:

Canada looks like is not going to get too many pp opportunities..4 in 3 games ..Sweden and Russia 13…next closes 7 Slovakia…

54. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

My thoughts on the PK debacle:

…there’s a debacle…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think you’re using the wrong word. This is more of a debate than a debacle. The PK debacle is MB not signing him long term when he had a chance. Now he has to pay him 8.5-9 million while a guy like Pietrangelo is locked up for 6 more years at 6.5 million. At least they got Max cheap…

EDIT: Sorry..did not see the post below where someone else used the word debacle. My bad.

• JohnnyCanuckful says:

If I were PK I’d give up debacle. It yellows your fingers and teeth, and can cost you a lung.

55. UKRAINIANhab says:

Anyone else sortive just want these olympics to be finished so we can go back to watching the habs…

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…lol, I have not visited HIO in 4 or 5 dayz UH, and Your question is EXACTLY what I intended to ask everyOne here :)

…I’m bored of the Olympics already, except the Russian and Ukranian babes I see around the events

…I mean if I was an owner, I see the potential for the loss of one of My superstars for a career or much of the balance of the season and playoffs

…these guys want their time playing for an ‘Olympic Medal’ …We the moronic fans want a reason to display our nationalistic gonads

…for what ??? …a competition that can be more conveniently held in an annual, or biennial World Cup, controlled by real hockey organizations

…the players ??? …they should make up their minds whether they are professionals or amateurs

…most of the other sports can be viewed at annual world championships or at X-games …what ??? makes their Olympic results of a gold silver or bronze more credible than any other one time championship format ??? …cripes

…the spectacle ? …yes, absolutely beautiful venues and architecture, let alone the babilicious babes …but lately We all know the countries and dictatorships these games seem to be increasingly providing credibility

…I have not been visiting HIO for awhile because without Our Habs all that I will find here is babble on poor P.K.

…I tried following one of Boone’s Olympic game blogs, and gave up after 10 minutes because he was being interrupted by other sports writers bloggers and inane interruptions of Mike’s style and humor

I WANT MY HABS BACK GOL DARNIT !!! I WANT P.K. AND MARKOV BACK WHERE THEY BELONG SO I CAN SIT DOWN ON A SATURDAY OR WEEKDAY EVENING TO WATCH THEM PLAYING THEIR HEARTS OUT IN A CH !!!

…GOL DARNIT !!!

56. commandant says:

Interviewed Connor Crisp today, I’ll have it up in the morning.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

57. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:
    • Timo says:

Ok, this is the line that truly cracked me up

“Lace underwear does not meet a 6 percent threshold for moisture absorption required by the new law, with the synthetic material reportedly reaching only 3 to 3.6 percent”

58. UKRAINIANhab says:

Is Babcock to safe? I was listening to the Fan590 which is actually a good show because they are leaf fans but not too biased and it seemed like alot of the guys on the show just want all these superstars to play free. Is that why we are not seeing Pk? Is Pk too high risk? I do not think so, but what I do think is that being too safe can often come back and bite you in the ass against a better team. Anyone else extremely worried for Wednesday? If swiss score first watch out!

59. Dr.Rex says:

My thoughts on the PK Debacle.

1) IF we don’t see Subban in the lineup next game then he might as well get on the next flight back home and start training at Brossard. IF we win the next game then Canada will stick with the same lineup and if we lose then its all over. Either way PK cannot scratch his way back in.

2) Can Babcock really gamble on losing with PK out of the lineup? The young man is a game breaker and can make the big play at any level. IF we lose without Hamhuis, Vlasic or JayBO then its no big deal but if we lose without PK then its a shame and a mismanagement of a special gift. Never go to battle without your full body of armor.

60. theox_8 says:

If Babcock did say that he’s an even bigger loser than I thought .

61. doublerr says:

Went to see McCarron play today for anyone interested, he looked pretty good, 1 goal, 1 assist and a +5. He played center and won a lot of face off, also took some key face offs in his own end. He played physical and has good hockey sense, on the down side he is crazy tall for a forward, 6′ 6″- 6′ 7 lanky and a little awkward. I also saw Crisp recently and he is a big body too, hard to move around the net. Neither guy looks like a star in the making but nice too see some guys coming up that will push others around instead of taking it all the time. I like to see a mix of size, toughness and skill. Just sayin!

62. CJ says:

Just read that Bournival still has not received clearance to resume practice. As others suggested last week and with which I completely agree, there is no such thing as a mild concussion.

I hope Bournival is able to rejoin the team, however only when he is at 100%. In the interim Moen, if healthy, would make sense on the fourth line with White and Weise. More interesting will be the changes to accommodate Chucky’s return. Briere or Gionta? Reunite the EGG line?

• habcertain says:

it seems we have finally found a spot for Briere with Pleks, we should leave that one alone. if we are to amount to anything this year Briere needs to be a contributor.

• jols says:

Hey CJ, where did you hear that Galchenyuk will be good to go after the break?

• CJ says:

Marc Antoine Godin and Dan Kramer on twitter. My French isn’t strong enough, but I gathered that although he won’t be sent down to the Bulldogs for extended practice, there is a chance he could join the Bulldogs on Friday for their game against the Senators at the Bell Centre.

I will defer to any commentariat who can translate.

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

With Galchenyuk back I see it-
      Patch-DD-Bork
      Old short guys
      EGG
      Prust-White-Weiss
      Moen gets traded, Bournival moves in and out with Weiss (mind out of the gutter here, I’m looking at you Timo, Front)

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

63. 4m3y2j says:

Healy is the worlds biggest D-BAG,the most bitter
    sportscater I have ever witnessed.

john slattery

64. Mavid is a Canadian says:

I wonder how hard it was for the CBC talking heads to say that Price played well and should stay in the net. Looked like Healy was going to barf in his mouth..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

65. JohnnyCanuckful says:

I also wonder about Babcock’s coaching.
    I understand his desire to build team chemistry, with the different line combinations, but making the healthy scratches shower with the players after games?
    I dunno.

• Well, if they’re healthy but still scratching I think they really should be taking more showers.

punkster is Canadian!!!

• habcertain says:

he wants to ensure they feel like real players, very understandable.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Thanks for finding the story behind the story as usual JohnnyCanuck!

• Ktowner says:

I am still behind Babcock, willing to give him a bit of slack given the difficulty in dealing with extra players and bringing together some of the best hockey players on the planet as a cohesive unit. The shorter offensive (and defensive) zone is causing some problems for the offensive attack, few secondary scoring chances, hesitant puck movement etc. I am still waiting for the speed to show up. The longer neutral zone I thought would have suited the speed on this team but has yet to materialize.
      A couple of positives: face off control is good, offense from the defense is great and penalties aren’t an issue.
      I thought that Price played extremely well against Finland especially given the fact that he faced fewer shots than he would with the Habs and went through long periods without any action.
      He was out of his comfort zone and came through it.

66. CJ says:

Lots of conversation here the past few days regarding PK and Alex Peitrangelo, specifically whether you would trade one for the other. Although the trade proposal is likely never going to be anything more then a hypothetical exercise I’m not so sure it carries an easy answer.

I do believe PK posses overall more talent, however AP is younger, plays bigger and is overall less likely to move the needle on the risk reward axis. He is a steady point producer and capable in all three zones.

Lastly, at $6.5 million for the next seven seasons, is AP better value then PK at his new contract value, which is rumoured to be $8 million or more?

Personally, I think AP has the game and the potential to become a steady Norris trophy candidate. Ditto for PK. In a salary cap era, the difference between the two salaries would carry a significant amount of weight.

Anyway, something to digest….CJ

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

PK is a much better skater and provides more offensive upside. I agree that PK has a much higher ceiling. Both are good character kids. Let’s keep PK at least in this scenario.

24 cups and counting….

• CJ says:

Funny, because that’s also my initial response. Looking closer however, AP has more points (41 vs 39), better plus minus 14 vs 6 (mind you AP is on a better team IMO) and, although maybe not PK’s equal in skating, is right there with him. I’ve seen him live this year in Ottawa and he is very fluid. He is fast without seeming to exert any effort. No surprise he as a top 5 draft pick.

I don’t disagree with the suggestion that we ought to keep PK, but AP might not get the press he deserves playing in St. Louis.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

True but Alex does play on a much better team. He’s a good player too, I agree and I wouldn’t be in a position to properly evaluate these two with any accuracy. I just pull for PK more so because I really think he gets unfairly maligned by so many….Not all of PKs detractors have admirable intentions either in my opinion.

24 cups and counting….

• CJ says:

You are absolutely right. St. Louis is much better. Positive 60+ goal differential can’t be dismissed. I also really like PK and love to see him shine.

Totally hypothetical scenario anyway. No real clear cut answer. Thank you for sharing. Cheers, CJ

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

If I’m MB going into a negotiation with Pk’s agent (name escapes me at the moment, Newport Sports?) I’m using the other 7 guys on Team Canada in front of PK as measuring sticks when it comes to contract. Why should he be paid more than these guys? When it comes to the business, Mb and Habs’ brass is loving that PK is in street clothes

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Ktowner says:

AP is only one year younger.
      Can I fantasize about having both on the team?

• Danno says:

PK Subban > Alex Peitrangelo

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

67. Plekasuares says:

Anyone think Julien is behind Pk not playing? Just a question.

• CJ says:

It’s a fair question. Personally, I don’t think so. I think PK’s play the past month is mostly behind PK not playing. Just my two cents…

• frontenac1 says:

Me neither. CJ knows the damage PK can cause so I think he would love to have him out there.

• BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Besides, his weight carried heavy in selecting PK’s brother at the last draft.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I think’s it more Babcock’s asinine lefty/righty philosophy. He’s playing it safe and it’s gonna backfire on him. Subban would make Canada’s PP a hell of alot better. I think this old boy’s club, conservative approach in Canada hockey just takes all the entertainment of the game. Canada is playing not to lose at this point and it’s so disrespectful to play Hamhuis or Vlasic over him. Just my 2 cents.

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

If framed in context of whether Julien feels PK is more or less able to help the team than the 7 D-Men who are playing ahead of him, it is a fair question and the answer would be (a) that he does but is being out-voted, or (b) that he does not.

If the intent is to suggest that Julien would work to hold him back despite believing that he is more able to help us win than those same 7 D-Men, it is not a fair question because, obviously, Team Canada is focused on trying to win gold at this tournament.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

68. GL says:

I hope they can bring home a Gold but this team has a lot of ???????????????? marks and I’m not so sure but like all Canadians a Gold would be great especially from a team with all NHL players. The Americans are the only other team I believe with all NHL players. One of those teams should win Gold or a big insult to the NHL!!

Cze-Svk should be an interesting game tomorrow. I get a feeling that Czech’s will get Halaked.

70. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Big lol for the tsn interview with Pierre Mcquire,Ryan Rishaug. Ryan says “Pierre has basically pitched a tent between the two benches”.
    Or maybe i’m just immature,but i still laughed.

71. The Jackal says:

Zzzz. Same posts in the past 24 hours.

72. Danno says:

(Repost from top of previous page)

Léo Brodeur: Future Habs Superstar.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs