Liveblog: Olympic Games, Game 2: Canada 6, Austria 0

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban, who was a healthy scratch for Team Canada’s 3-1 win over Norway in its Olympic opener Thursday, was in the lineup Friday when Canada beat Austria 6-0.

Dan Hamhuis sat out to make room for Subban on the blue line. Forward Matt Duchene, who was a healthy scratch against Norway, was in the lineup against Austria, while Patrick Sharp sat out. Subban had 11:41 of ice time, the least of Canada’s seven defencemen, and didn’t pick up any points.

Canadiens goalie Carey Price, who earned the victory against Norway, was a healthy scratch against Austria, with Roberto Luongo posting the shutout and Mike Smith filling the backup role.

Canada led 2-0 after the first period on goals from defencemen Drew Doughty and Shea Weber. Jeff Carter scored three goals in the second period for a natural hat-trick, followed by a goal from Ryan Getzlaf. There were no goals in the third period. Canada outshot Austria 46-23.

The Postmedia News live game blog was up and running with HIO’s Mike Boone joining other hockey writers from the chain. Boone will be blogging live during every Team Canada game at the Olympics. Canada’s final preliminary-round game is at noon ET Sunday against Finland.

You can join the live blog by clicking here.

(Photo by Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)

Canada dominant in win over Austria, Postmedia News

Luongo likely starter against Finland, by Mike Boone

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

Annakin Slayd back with another great hockey video, by The Gazette’s Brendan Kelly

1,297 Comments

1. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Happy for Price, Disappointed for PK. Evidently the right/left thing is indeed very important to this Team Canada Coaching staff. I suspect they may be overthinking this, but there is a rationale to their decision making. Hopefully the team plays well today, any slip ups and the opportunity is there for PK to draw back in.

I don’t think there is an anti PK bias, but rather a familiarity by the coaching staff with the players they know. Julian is the coach on the staff who is most familiar with PK but I am not sure what area of responsiblity he has on the team in order to help sway the decision towards PK.

I am more surprised St. Louis is not staying in the lineup, but until this team loses it is hard to second guess the decisions made.

I personally feel PK is indeed a better option than Hamhuis, however, I suspect with Hamhuis being a left shooting Dman, perhaps the coaching staff feels the left side is their weakness and need more options there as a result.

It is a tough pill as Habs fans to swallow, but someone has to sit and unfortunately, our young stud dman is the odd man out today.

• Blondie est Canadien says:

Good morning Burly.

Yeah, it’s too bad PK doesn’t get in today but even if he doesn’t dress for another game the experience will be great for him. Besides, he’ll probably be on the team for a few more olympics to come, provided the NHL participates.

Looking forward to today’s game. I daresay Price will be a little more involved than the last game. Finland should be a much sterner test.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Blondie and Burly! We’re up early on this cold Sunday morning, eh?

I am glad Price is getting the start as well. Sometimes you have to turn a page and everything being equal, you give the nod to the young star so he can begin to make the International competitions his own. He won’t disappoint and the experience will pay off hugely in future Games and tournaments.

As for PK, there is no greater fan then I so I readily admit my bias where it concerns him. That said, the same young up and comer theory holds true for PK as well. I realize its all about winning gold as well so we can argue PK’s skill if you’d like. Has there ever been a Norris Trophy winner a healthy scratch in the Olympics before?

If I’m running Hockey Canada there are several names that gets penciled in the lineup every game. PK would be among them.

I’m not happy about this! Not happy at all.

• Cal is Canadian says:

PK is a better option than three other Dmen in the lineup, but what hell right? He’s only the Norris trophy winner. Stupid decision. Stupid “must have lefty Dmen” mentality. The solution is simple: play your best players. If PK isn’t on that list, they are idiots.
      Did Babcock’s Wings only win with 3 lefties and 3 righties on D? Didn’t think so.

2. Storm Man says:

I said Price was the starter ;-)

3. rhino514 says:

Anybody think the return of Galchenyuk will give the team that bit of offensive punch it has been missing?
    And if Weise sits after the break, which looks lik a very real possibility, doesn´t the trade in essence become a fulltime dman (definitely better than average as a top 6) for a bench player who occasionally plays the fourth line?

• scarboro_habitant says:

someone is going to be dealt. my money would be on moen. probably why weise was brought in.

• BJ says:

It could be as many as three players. Agreed on Moen and likely Gionta (if MB does not re-sign him for a 2.5 to 3 million one year contract). And Markov if the terms he wants do not fit MB’s vision.

• rhino514 says:

I´m ok with Moen being dealt, but I don´t think they will get much for him. Moen hasn´t been Moen the last two years.
        I don´t think they will deal Gio, unless someone way overpays for his veteran leadership, which would be fine if they do but I don´t think will happen, and probably the team would have to go on a really bad losing streak right after the break.
        Gio is the kind of player who can turn it up in the stretch and in the playoffs.

4. rhino514 says:

Re: PK
    The prevailing notion seems to be that he is the 4th best right handed Dman, and also the 4th best Dman period on the team. So that´s why he (literally) is getting the short end of the stick. Not anything wrong with him other than he plays the wrong side.

However no on is daring to allude that he is as good as one of Keith, Doughty, or Weber. Soobie seems to be tagged as an offensive Dman who has defensive liabilities. This isn´t an accurate tag. On the habs he takes charge offensively and is given PP time because the team is desperate to score goals.
    However in his first couple of seasons he was the team´s best defensive Dman. The habs PK two years ago was 2nd in the league, and was made up principally of Subban and Gorges. It´s just that the coach has chosen to use him in a more offnsive role. Because of this, he takes more chances and onc in a while gets caught defensively, but if he was being used as a shutdown guy, I´m convinced he would be one of the best in the entire league.
    He is a complete defenseman who can do it all. Not only is he much better than all of the guys on the left side, but the very real possibility that he is probably as good or better than at least ONE of Keith or Doughty doesn´t even sem to be up for debate.

• rhino514 says:

edit: Pietrangelo is the third rightie, not Keith.
      And Bouwmeester is his regular playing partner, which is why the former draws in. I guess they preferred to have Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester than a Seabrook and Keith pairing, which is interesting. At least PK is on the team, Seabrook left off is a surprise.
      Still don´t think Hamhuis or Vlasic should be in ahead of Subbie, even if you buy the whole gelling theory with Bouwmester and Pietrangelo.

5. BJ says:

You sort of have the feeling that PK was not really wanted on the team period, but the PTB wanted to avoid the controversy of keeping out a Norris winner. The only positive on that might be for MB not to have to give up the Royal Bank of Canada signing PK and might be able to shave some dollars. And Price will have to be at his best otherwise it will be second guessed all over the place. Kunitz better also pick it up or that one will bounce back on the Hockey Canada geniuses.

6. clutch73 says:

Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman
    Team Canada Men ‏@HC_Men 22m
    Canada lineup changes for CAN-FIN. Price to start, backed up by Luongo. Hamhuis and Sharp in for Subban and St-Louis

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

With Weber and Doughty playing the way they are and with Sharp taking PP point duties (WTF?!), that’s the end of PK’s tournament I would assume.

Better a PK with a chip on his shoulder that does everything in his power to eliminate the Wings from playoff contention (and blast Boston out of the playoffs) than a glorified bench warmer.

If Canada wins, this crazy left-right gospel is going to be etched in stone for a while. It will eventually work in PK’s favour… but for now, he’s in line behind some serious talent.

7. I made two mistakes today.

1. Calling players like Marchand, Ott, Kaleta, and Claude Lemieux retards, sorry to let you down Dave (have we met, you made it sound like we were brothers) :lol:

2. I just watched the Gauntlet on Bluray…why Clint why?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

8. Plekasuares says:

Do not sit Duchene or Subban. If we don’t win gold with those two sitting I will be very very upset with Babcock to say the least. Gold or bust.

9. habs_54321 says:

not impressed with nash and kunitz so far. sharp coming in id assume one of these two will sit hope they dont sit duchene or st louis

• Timo says:

Not too impressed with Crosby either or with Canada’s power play. Mind you I assume they mostly tried to avoid injuries in the first 2 games against meaningless opponents but still.

I hope that tomorrow we’ll get to see more physical play from Canada. Enough of that shinny hockey BS.

10. habs_54321 says:

NEW THREAD???????????

11. stevieray says:

So if Babcock is so concerned about a resume ….PK was the Norris trophy winner last year …nuff said !

12. FlyingFrenchie says:

A flash from the past at the Olympics in Vancouver.

13. RiverviewCanadien says:

If I could ask one question of Team Canada decision makers, it would have to be if they think Subban is right there with Keith, Weber and Doughty. It really should not matter who else on that team.

The kid won the Norris Trophy in his 3rd season…if he is not in the same conversation as the above mentioned Canadian boys, there is something wrong with hockey. PK is going to be one of the best Habs fans have seen.

Now Price vs Luongo. Let Lu start vs FIN. Why not he is a great goalie. If they want to play some kind of “I owe you” go for it. Price is on top of his game right now and no one can contest that Waite was the best move of Bergervin’s career.

If Price does not win the Vezina 3 times in his career, the round is on me…Go Pricey!

Let Babcock make the decisions on this one, he is a pretty good coach. Both our guys are going to win this thing.

====================================
    Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
    ====================================

14. Plekasuares says:

I guess no ones giving any examples of how Hamhuis is better than Subban so I assume we do not agree with the Team Canada staff?

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I may be going out on a limb here, but I’m going with a yes on this one. Silly talk, PK is a league above Hamhuis.

====================================
      Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
      ====================================

15. jimmy shaker says:

As the hours and minutes tick down, it’s looking like PK is out and Carey is backing up Lui. Hate it that PK cannot even be the 7th d-man and that Luongo is getting the crease. Won’t be as interesting to watch, but will put those feelings aside and cheer on Team Canada till the end, no matter what! Loved patch and emelin going at it, and marky earning that new contract coming up for the habs!

Shaker out!

• Willy the bum says:

I don’t think Subban would be the odd man out, after just 1 game. Someone else would take the day off, for cautious reasons or just resting up.

Did saw moments of the US v. Russia game, and it’s just too funny that Patches and Emelin are at it a few times. What’s amazing is the Slava Voynov’s huge hit on Kings’ teammate Dustin Brown. The moral of the story is that there are no friends in hockey.

• ProHabs says:

Remember when Emelin came to camp for the first time last year with the Habs. The first practice during training camp, he leveled MaxPac with a huge hit. MacPac was just coming back from his injury as he missed the playoffs due to the Chara hit. Habs management staff had to tell Emelin to tone down the hits on teammates.

16. Willy the bum says:

Any news on Canada’s line-ups against Finland, and the source link?

17. Plekasuares says:

Yayayayyaayaya left D right D. Explain this to me someone, why would Hamhuis dress as the 7th over Subban?

18. Plekasuares says:

Pk is better than pietroangelo. I wouldn’t trade subban straight up for him

• habs_54321 says:

equally skilled players, but pietrangelo is having the better year and is coming into these olympics hot while pk is not, pietrangelo’s regular playing partner and coach are also on the team. pietra’s looked pretty good in these two games as well.

19. JohnnyCanuckful says:

What if Luongo or Price — take your pick — plays tomorrow and makes several fantastic saves in a hard-fought contest only to let in a stinker that ties the game at 3-3 in the final five minutes.
    Does he play the next game even if the team goes on to win?
    Does the other guy get the nod if the team goes on to lose?

20. Plekasuares says:

Pk is better than vlasic, Hamhead, and Bowmeester

21. Willy the bum says:

Price will dress no matter what. He’s at least be more of a back-up goalie, which is easier for him giving Luongo the start.

As for Subban, he should be at least the 7th D, as he is definitely useful on the ice. He can be unpredictable and very skilled, instead of having another one of the same playing style of the top 6 Ds. Please, it’s just not as exciting without Subban.

22. jols says:

They play noon our time, so what time do you think the morning pre-game skate is? 5 a.m our time?

23. SmartDog says:

If I were to pick whether just ONE of Subban or Price is in tomorrow I would pick Subban. The guy should be playing – not sitting. And Luongo will either do well or hand over the reigns. We’re good whichever.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

24. JohnnyCanuckful says:

Watching Olympic hockey where players exchanging blows is an aberration, I wonder how much another aberration, Cherry, would be a cheerleader for fighting if, in instead of Sestito, Clune, Wilson, Gazdic, Neil, McGrattan, Brown, Prust, Dorsett, McLeod, Konopka, Crombeen, Roussel, Jackman, Rosehill, Reaves, Hendricks, Martin, Desmjardins and Maroon, currently leading the league in fighting majors, it was Evgeny, Maxim, Levokari, Artyom, Branislav, Artyukhin, Mezei, Khomitsky, Piganovich, Bernatsky, Vaskilchenko, Karalahti, Cibak, Koltsov, Radivojevic, Peltonen, Zinovjev, Denisov, Kulyash, Podhradsky.
    I daresay Cherry, in that case, would argue that fighting, far from being a necessary mechanism for venting anger over a foul, sending a message to the opposition, or defending a team’s honour, was despicable behaviour having nothing to do with playing hockey the way it should be played.

25. Curtis O Habs says:

Very Canadian forum.

26. likehoy says:

can’t comment on whether or not Price gets the start, but Subban plays without a question

I would agree to limit his ice time between the 9-12 minute range to not mess with anything, But if you’re losing, you want PK on the ice to help you overcome a deficit or to get that tying goal.. That alone should let PK be the 7th dman, which is the point of a 7th dman.

I don’t see the point of having 7 dmen other than adding some shake and bake cause in a regular NHL game, these players are all used to playing 20+ minutes anyways. Not like they’re gonna tire out, lets be honest.

27. PuffNStuff says:

After the game Putin sent a bottle of the finest Vodka down to Datsyuk’s room, Radulov found a Horse head in his bed.

28. Storm Man says:

Price is the starter :-)

29. UKRAINIANhab says:

Barkov out, Koivu out. Rask let in 4 against Austria ughhhh

5-1 Canada

Crosby, Benn, Crosby, Perry, St. Louis

30. CJ says:

OMG, Syracuse at the buzzer! 25-0. What a finish!

31. Johnny 'Canuck' Bellyful says:

I just waded through 1,000-plus posts – okay, most of them, until I got the drift of what was being debated – and to say I’m disappointed is a statement.
    There wasn’t a single scouting report on the Finns.
    I wasn’t looking for a report on the players we know all about – Selanne, Rask, Timonen, Salo, Koivu, Ruutu et al – but a heads up on the players we’ve never seen play – Kukkonen, Aaltonen, Homonen, Synonen, Lehtera, Kontiola, Kukkukola, Snafu, Tofu.
    I know nothing about these guys – which would put me at a disadvantage if I were going to watch the game but I’ll be out of the house the entire afternoon. So my concern is for posters who will be watching and not knowing anything about a third of the Finnish roster. We could be in for a shock. Especially if Team Canada loses or wins unconvincingly.
    I just hope Babcock and the boys are better prepared for tomorrow’s game than we are.

P.S. I hate shootouts.

P.S.S. How come our spotter in Finland hasn’t provided us with a what-to-watch-for?

32. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

With all this goalie controversy as to who to start tomorrow, I’m hoping that the brass just make the decision as to who’s going to play for the rest of the tournament, announce it, and move forward.

Either Luongo or Price will do just as well for Canada. I would be more concerned with ensuring the power play is tweaked and made effective for the rest of the tourney.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

33. UKRAINIANhab says:

Lets be real. Finland is not a “real” test. Should win by a few

34. JUST ME says:

As a fan of course i would like to see P.K. and Price play. I do not think that Luongo is better than Price right now day in , day out.P.K. is an excellent athlete and a treat to see play the game. On this team he should be number 5.

Vlasic is a good d-men,Bowmeester is overrated and Kunitz is not at it`s place with such a skilled group of players.
    That being said i do not believe that Babcock is a bad coach far from it nor do i think that his team around his does not want one and only one thing , to win gold wich for me is the main thing.

Having seen the great game this morning i now believe that Canada has the best team overall and does not have as many question marks as USA and Russia. Canada has not met yet a team that asks them to use full power but i am not worried. Sweden and Finland have many players injured but may still be a tough opponent.

I believe that Crosby will come alive if he is matched with someone else than Kunitz cause he slows him down and is not as natural as all the other ones on the team.

Tomorrow`s game will be the last chance for many to prove themselves or else. I would not be worried if P.K.or Price are benched cause i do not believe that they are on trial. If they are not chosen to play in the final round it`s just that the boys`club is not easy to get into when it comes to dealing with Hockey Canada.

35. Plekasuares says:

Subban is better than Vlasic, Bowmeester and Hamhuis. …come on. …come on how is Babcock giving the team the best chance to win. Maybe they still will win but PK is better than all of the Defence on the team excluding Weber, Doughty. Maybe Keith and Pietroangelo (don’t see much in Pietroangelo). Subban is the first player I’ve seen skate with the puck since Bobby Orr. Nothing against Babcock or WHOEVER is
    Making these decisions but I highly disagree.

36. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I guess the good news for MT is no longer will Babcock be a name bandied about as a replacement, given he has now been proven to be such a terrible coach.

37. UKRAINIANhab says:

Would we trade Subban for Vlasic, Bouwmeester, Hamhuis

Rhetorical question…

FREE PK!!!

38. Habilis Canadianis says:

” Americans get biggest hockey win since ‘Miracle’ ”

That’s the headline of Brooksie’s latest article. Here’s a link to it: http://nypost.com/2014/02/15/americans-get-biggest-hockey-win-since-miracle/

Am I nuts or are the semi-final wins in Salt Lake and Vancouver maybe just a little bigger than this shootout round robin win?

39. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Babcock is the “Gorges” of coaching…”Blah, right-left D, blah, puck possesion, blah, blah, blah….”. Everyone acts like he is a genius because they won last time but it was far from a dominant performance. When Lemieux, Sakic etc. laid the smack-down in Salt Lake on the US, THAT was a dominant performance…not the weak OT goal of last time.

As for PK, he is stuck on the wrong side. Weber and Doughty play monster minutes. Then Pietrangelo plays on a common pair with JayBo. There is no room for PK the way Babcock has it set up. I think he’s stupid because at least PK can play on the PP. Hamhius does nothing special. He’s only on the team because of a lack of left-hand D-men.

40. stevieray says:

What time is the game being shown tomorrow …Nova Scotia time ? I looked at the Fin lineup and besides the goalies I don’t see much for fire power compared to us . never the less I’ll have to put up with Healy and his rants about inadequate , skill set , non NHL players on the Fin team ….

I find Karllson and PK to be very similar in styles …begs the question why Sweden isn’t concerned about Karllson’s style of play ?

41. Evil Youppi says:

Has Canada gone to the dark side with those uniforms ?
    If so, why not use the Dark Force !
    It just makes sense.

42. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Mike Babcock is a trophy hunter. Anybody is a trophy hunter is of questionable character, by my standards. By the way, I hunt for food.

43. GL says:

This is the way I feel about Chris Stewart – On a good year he may score 25 goals to me he’s not worth a 1st rounder. If we were close to winning a cup I would take my chances on a 1st rounder but we’re not and I can’t see it anytime soon unless we could come up with two real good scoring forwards.

• CJ says:

Good points, however keep in mind if Paul Gaustad can fetch a first rounder, anything is possible lol. Stewart is worth what rival GM’s are willing to pay.

Burke was able to turn Kaberle into a first, second and prospect. Never underestimate the pressure these men are under to win now. Their livelihoods depend on results today. In many cases, they are willing to risk the future.

A guy like George McPhee might be willing to mortgage the future to keep his job another year.

44. Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

I’m OK with PK sitting. We can still win without him. Same with Price. I’d rather they played, but I’m not fussed. Just as long as Team C stops playing boring, uninspired hockey and gets it in gear like Team USA or the Russians last night. Now that was hockey.

Why Yemelin and Markov can look like All World Dmen on the big ice and PK can’t… Well that’s something for the player and management to figure out. Let’s start playing for real here.

45. UKRAINIANhab says:

This kills me

So some of you are saying Vlasic, Hamhuis, and Bowmister yes Jay Bowmister or however the hell you spell it are better than Subban. Its quite a joke actually. Stop defending Babcock unless you all think Vlasic, Hamhuis and yes even Jay Bowmister are better than Subban

• docketrocket says:

Babcock will have to be good now that Zetterberg is out. Great players make great coaches. We’ll see.

• JUST ME says:

Really agree with your comment. Those 3 are not superior to P.K. au contraire.
      What bugs me with the Olympic country club and always did is that there is no place for new kids. No place for new ways ,new ideas and since Canada won gold 4 years ago…That is why i do not have much hope for either P.K. or Carey. Tomorrow is the last chance for many to make the team or stay in the stands for the rest of the tournament unless of course an injury changes plans…

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Completely agree.

Leaving Giroux at home was quite sad. This is far worse.

It´s Bouwmeester btw.

• Caesar is Canadian says:

I would add Pieterangelo or whatever his name is to your list

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Would we trade Subban for Vlaisc, Hamhuis or Bouwmeester

Would be a hio meltdown

46. docketrocket says:

Where is it confirmed Subban is not playing please?

47. L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

It’s about 3 am in Sochi. I suppose PK, Price and Luongo all went to sleep knowing if they were playing tomorrow.

I guess we, the fans, can sweat it out some more, and listen to more dumb predictions until tomorrow.

48. UKRAINIANhab says:

Is Subban scratched? You mean to tell me PK is not better than HAMHUIS, Bowmister, and pickles (vlasic). Babcock won cups in Detroit because of the team he had.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Babcock is a good coach but the pressure’s getting to him.

• frontenac1 says:

Babcock is a pr#ck. Canada up 6 zip it the third and he couldn’t put Smitty in for 5min? Unless there is an injury, that would have been his only chance to play in the Olympics. It would have been the right thing to do.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Yea. I thought the same thing! Was preety low imo

• Mr. Biter says:

Frontenac, my hero, but I have to disagree with you on this point. Played Major Junior as a goalie and more often then not came in to relieve the starting goaltender. Limited time to warm up and injuries occur and if you’ve been sitting for 55 minutes and then told to go in your going in cold a good chance for pulling a muscle or groin. And you know Smith will do whatever his best to stop every shot and if did pull something (can we fly another goalie over) his NHL team would be pissed. Not like putting in a basketball, football or baseball player for 1 play then pulling him. Also are standings not effected by goals for and against? That also would also not have been fair to put Smith in such a position. Sorry my friend, never disagreed with one of your posts before.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• frontenac1 says:

I get that Biter, coming in cold(injuries,total points). But I would have to think Smitty could have handled some time between the pipes. Heck, Budaj gets thrown in cold for Price. Anyway,probably too late now for my Homeboy now I guess. Go Canada! Saludos!

• Mr. Biter says:

Yeah, put him for one shift and take him out. I don’t think Smith really would have liked that unless there’s a “equipment malfunction” and he goes in for 1 shift. Would look better IMO.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• PsyCANADIAN29 says:

Yes, he’s an awful coach. Won a Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold medal and World Championship.
      So was Scotty Bowman a terrible coach because of the team he had?

I’m a big PK fan, but we Habs fans tend to go overboard (just a tad). Whether he plays or not, the experience of going to Sochi will make him an even better player.

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

3 or more months ago Canada leaked to the media their intentions to play lefties and righties on defence.

They also leaked through the media that Subban would be a 7 or 8th dman.

They have been honest about this situation, and Subban knew the situation when he was selected, because everyone knew.

There’s no conspiracy here. It’s the coach’s decision all the way.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

No one is saying there’s a conspiracy.

No one is denying it’s the coach’s decision.

They are making a hash of it though.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Interesting opinion which is now a fact according to you.

Edit: The team had a strategy and the first two games did nothing to show it was wrong or right. Tomorrows game will be the first real test and then we will know better if their gameplan is indeed a poor one or a good one, I think.

49. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

So Voynov of Team Russia and teammate of Quick’s back in L.A. says Quick always knocks the net off of its mooring like that back in L.A. at home games.

50. ProHabs says:

Do all you guys agree with me that the Habs should sign A. Radulov for the stretch run and playoffs this year to play with Pleks. He’s big, strong and talented.

51. 25 Stanley Cups says:

Who’s in net tomorrow. PK back in press box.

Whats Happening!!!!

52. @MartimeRoNn

I should have said this way, I hate staged fighting in the NHL. IE Calgary vs Vancouver. IE, team is getting its butt kicked so enforcer 1 comes out, that means enforcer 2 comes out.

However because the world has players like Marchand, Ott, Kaleta, Kadri, PK (two years ago he never shut up and was early to drop the mits on the challenge, players hate that), Begin, and Claude Lemeiux, (leaving out so many retards), then almost every team in the league has to have an enforcer to one shut them up, or body check them into next week for their stupid hits.

Because the league has players who have no respect for their opponents there will always be an enforcer involved in the game.

When the league moves to three line hockey, which equals all skill, the game will be much better, but hey what do I know……everything when it comes to concussions.

FYI-I’m no Saint, I spent 21 years in the Infantry, that’s a lot of years training to fight. I guess that’s also part of the reason I don’t want it in my favourite game. It’s a psychological thing, it’s also why I get angry when I see my kids arguing at home, I know what it leads to and I hate it.

But what are we gonna do, character exams before the draft?

Laters, off to the rink for some Bantam hockey, and then Wheat Kings. Lots of retards playing at all levels.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

53. Bash says:

Kunitz, Carter, Hamhuis should sit.

Really Carter scored three goals but was just Johnny on the spot…nothing spectacular at all.

Crosby with Benn and St. Louis

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

54. Fransaskois says:

Luca Cunti (NLA), Leo Komarov (KHL), Reto Suri (NLA), Andrej Meszaros (NHL), and Jori Lehtera (KHL) are all upcoming international UFAs that the Habs, and us fans, should be keeping an eye on.

The next Brunner or Streit is waiting and there have already been reports that MTL management has looked into signing Luca Cunti. Here’s to hoping we find that diamond in the rough!

55. RJ says:

How interesting to watch Patch when he plays hard every shift rather than taking shifts off and public skating.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

56. Smurfette says:

I’ll be happy when the breaks over.
    Very tired.

57. Maritime Ronn says:

No news on who will be in nets tomorrow for Team Canada?
    Get Edward Snowden on the case, because that decision is above Top Secret

58. JUST ME says:

In 3 games Switzerland has 2 goals for 1 goal against.
    They have been involved in 3 final scores of 1 to 0 and won two !

Wow ! Do not know if they will get much further but year after year they get surprising results…Of course with Diaz,Weber and Streit…

59. WVHabsfan says:

Good point 29

60. Chuck is a Canuck says:

I hate the shootout, but I understand the need for a predictable ending time of games for scheduling purposes; most days they’re playing three games at the rink.

If you HAVE to have a shootout, then I like the idea of making it more game-like by adding a defending player to pursue the shooter.

61. thehabsfan29 says:

After the Olympics break I think the habs should definitely target Chris Stewart. I think he would be a great fit on a line with Plek and Gio

Question is what would they take for him.

I would have offered
    Bourque,Kristo,Thrower/Bozon/Leblanc & 1st

I Still think that Kristo trade was brutal

• Maritime Ronn says:

Why was the Kristo trade brutal?

• thehabsfan29 says:

Kristo had a much higher potential & Value then Thomas.

I Think it would have been smarter to package kristo to get a Power forward back

• Mark C says:

Based on what?

• CJ says:

With all due respect, this is simply not the case. Mark McMillan has greater potential then Kristo. I also made the mistake of overvaluing this prospect, however we did well to acquire Thomas. Kristo is two years older and has no more upside then Thomas. Considering the number of injuries the Rangers faced this season, Kristo should have been able to crack the lineup.

• joeybarrie says:

I didnt realize how old Kristo is. Almost 24 and never played a game in the NHL.
            You make an excellent point in NYR’s injuries, and still no call up.
            To me he is a career AHLer. He will most likely be a good one, but I dont think he is too interested in the NHL. I think he prefers to be a good player in the AHL than a bottom liner in the NHL.
            I think everyone questions his drive.

• CJ says:

Truth be told, both players will need to fight tooth and nail just to be everyday NHL players. I wouldn’t hold my breath on either prospect becoming the next great thing. To your point, they might both end up being career AHL players. Cheers, CJ

• Mr. Biter says:

Have to disagree with you CJ .As a Junior Kristo had 45 points in 42 games. MM has 16 points in 30 game as a Junior so I don’t really see this as an upgrade even though he is younger. Also Kristo has 17 goals and 14 assists in 45 games this year in the AHL which would make him the Dogs leader in goals and in second in total points and we’d be wondering why he’s not had a call up.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing Mr. Biter. I respect your opinion and truth is my commentary is very much subjective. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I have a gut feeling regarding MM. I’ve watched a few games and came away really impressed with his skating and puck control. Additionally, keep in mind that MM has battled injuries this year, in addition to the fact that Kristo played on the top line with Corban Knight, even as a junior.

Hamilton and Hartford are both low scoring teams (118 and 125 goals for respectively), but now that Thomas is healthy and on the top line, I think you will see his production take off.

Again, thank you for sharing. Cheers, CJ

• Wintercount says:

Agree with 29. At the time DK was at the worlds. So your references concerning MM and what NY is doing this year are after the fact. His point does hold water.

• CJ says:

Wintercount, I don’t think I follow…

Would I have liked to package Kristo for Stewart or another power forward, absolutely. We got what we could. If Bergevin were willing to include Tinordi and a first we would have gotten something much better.

Again, IMO we are talking about two players who will need to scratch and claw just to become everyday NHL players.

My two cents. Cheers, CJ

• Mr. Biter says:

Hi CJ,
            Thanks for the injury update on MM. Haven’t watched to many UND games this year so did not know about that. MM did play very well last year and many times played with Kristo. I hope your right about the “Gut Feeling” about MM.
            BTW MM is playing on the 1st line tonight and had an assist on UND’s 1st goal.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Wintercount says:

29’s evaluation of DK dates back to the summer of 2012-2013 after Kristo acquitted himself quite well at the worlds. He WAS rated higher, which explains why most were mildly shocked when the deal for Thomas went down. Were you not as well…
            Your statement is based on all the info you have gathered since then, right.
            So the question is, at what point in time did your devaluation of Kristo begin?

• CJ says:

I have followed for four years, dating to the WJC. I was high on Kristo following his play in the 2010 WJC. The US won gold and he was a key contributor. I really thought we had something great. A top prospect, A level. He played well as a senior at North Dakota, but he is soon to be 24. As each season passed, I saw the light dim so to speak.

Our last two drafts, specifically the selection of Hudon made him expendable. IMO Leblanc is the next prospect on the hot seat. It’s time to show something now, or it’s time to move on.

• Wintercount says:

I get that your all over the ice on this one CJ…

• Habfan17 says:

I would like the Habs to try to get Stewart too, but you offer too much! He has only scored 20 goals twice. I wouldn’t offer all those players for Evander Kane and I would prefer Kane to Stewart. Also, Stewart is a right wing and I doubt Gio would get moved to the left side.

Bourque and the first should be enough to get him.

Habfan17

• JUST ME says:

With all due respect i am thankfull that you are not our G.M. You are offering way too much ! A first rounder for Stewart ? Not only is it too much but you should never ever give away your first round pick.

Ijust do not think that Kristo was ever interrested in coming in MTL as a matter of fact i have heard he did not want to play in Canada period.

6 players against a 20 goals scorer ?

• CJ says:

Good points. Further, if Stewart is being dangled I would seriously question the underlying issue. He has a cap friendly contract, has size, speed and good hands. Something does not seem right.

Secondly, there is no way I would give up that kind of bounty for Chris Steward.

• thehabsfan29 says:

I Think everyone took it the wrong way

I would never give up 6 players for stewart

I meant to write either Thrower, Bozon or Leblanc not all of them

My mistake.

its starting to really annoy me how I can edit any comments

• joeybarrie says:

Danny Kristo (not playing in the NHL) 5’11
      -45 games, 31 points, -4 in the AHL
      Christian Thomas (3 games in the NHL) 5’9
      -27 games, 17 points, +2 in the AHL (or on pace for 29 points on 45)

Both Right wings shooting right.

Yeah, brutal trade. We really got hosed there. Pretty much the same.

• CJ says:

I am sorry, but I’m completely confused. The statistics you posted show that Kristo averages .689 points per game, while Thomas averages .630 points per game. Thomas is two years younger. Neither player is physical. Both have games based on speed and skill.

Just not sure how you have landed at the conclusion that is was a brutal trade.

• joeybarrie says:

“I would have offered
          Bourque,Kristo,Thrower/Bozon/Leblanc & 1st
          I Still think that Kristo trade was brutal ” -Thehabsfan29

Sorry CJ, I was being sarcastic. That’s the point I was making that they are “pretty much the same”.

• Mr. Biter says:

He’s had 1 season over 20 goals. Why not also add a 3 1st rounders’ and throw in a couple of Million $$$$$ also.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

62. WVHabsfan says:

I can’t believe we lost mcdonagh to the rangers. We could of had three olympic defenseman in the USA vs Russia game. Makes me I’ll…

• thehabsfan29 says:

I Have no idea how ANY GM would think that trade would have improved they’re team

Gainey is the definition of a joke as a GM

• Maritime Ronn says:

Perhaps it may be a little unfair/harsh to define Gainey as a “joke GM.”

He won a Cup as GM with Dallas in 1999, and surely tried his best as Habs GM…where we will never know how much the then ownership of Gorge Gillet put pressure on him to win in the short term to increase the value of the asset to sell.

There was also a huge personal element at play during his Habs time.
        He lost his 39 year old wife at the age of 43 in 1995, and one has to wonder how that loss carried on.

If that wasn’t enough, he lost his 25 year old daughter in 2006 having being swept overboard on a ship that sailed from Lunenburg NS. ( not very far from where I live)

I don’t know about you, yet 2 catastrophic, and untimely family events MUST have some lingering effects.

Yea, the Habs are important/big time, yet Gainey’s contribution to the Habs should be respected – be that as a player or a GM that brought the Habs to its only Conference Finals since 1993.

• joeybarrie says:

Well said. Lets keep in mind that those Rangers that were apparently GENIUS’ to make that trade signed Gomez to that contract, as well as guys like Wade Redden (6.5 million), Bobby Holik (9 million a season), Darius Kasparitus (4.5 million), Michael Rozsival (5 million), Chris Drury (7.2 million)…………
          How many stupid contracts do you have to sign????
          To me thats the joke…. 150-170 million given to players who all underperformed massively and were either bought out or shipped off…. 90% of the teams in the NHL would be bankrupt if they did something like that.

• CJ says:

Bad trade for sure, but not without peers.

Rundblad and a second for Kyle Turris?
      JVR for Luke Schenn
      Erat for Forsberg

I’ve always said that the McDonough trade was a terrible won. The one silver lining however is it allowed us to get Galchenyuk. Perhaps that’s just what I tell myself to sleep at night, but I don’t think we could have gotten both.

In any event, the deal is done. I’ve moved on.

• joeybarrie says:

Its astonishing to me that McPhee still has a job in Washington. Traded Varlamov for a draft pick, and the three goalies he kept cant stay consistent to be the number one for more than a week.
        Picked up Forsberg in the draft (genius) and then traded him for Martin Erat????
        Let Semin walk for nothing despite signing him to a 1 year 6-7 million dollar contracts TWICE.

• CJ says:

Great points. It’s one of the reasons I’d suggest at least exploring trade options with the Capitals. I think McPhee is desperate and could be willing to offer a ransom for a player like Markov.

You are spot on, he has authored some bad deals. If memory serves me he got two first round picks for Varlamov, but it doesn’t make up for some major miscues.

63. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Did Healy just say Diaz played ahead of pk on he pp because of his hard shot?

64. UKRAINIANhab says:

Plekanec hits a crossbar. Czc cant solve Hiller

65. Maritime Ronn says:

nickster13 says:
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think NHLers or other pros should be in the olympics….I would like to see only amateur hockey players in the olympics, and the NHL or pros can have their own Canada Cup/World cup of hockey thing every 4 years instead.
    ———————–
    Your opinion is fine, yet the most difficult question would be to define exactly what is an amateur.

Once upon a time, an ‘amateur’ was one that was part of the former USSR armed forces.

In the 2014 world, would an amateur be defined as a player that receives a full $$$ scholarship + room and board (plus other perks) from an NCAA school?
    A paid CHL Junior hockey player?

Then there is the issue of huge Olympic Media rights.
    While the Summer Olympics offer great, eclectic events and world participation, the Winter Olympics are basically for Nordic nations with few exceptions.
    What would the present day Winter Olympics be without elite hockey?

There is almost no participation from African or Central/South American nations during the Winter Olympics…that is unless one considers the single Zimbabwe or Nepal participant as a nation competing.

Finally, a belief from here is that NHL participation in the Olympics is over – or on hold at best until 2022.
    The next games are in Pyeongchang, South Korea in 2018, and there is a good possibility that the NHL brain trust and NHLPA may decline with…Dennis Rodman being so close.

Look for your suggestion of a Canada Cup/World Cup to take hold and be played in September 2016 to get things rolling.
    The NHL owners and NHLPA will enjoy those new revenues….

• Cal is Canadian says:

I am for a 23 years of age and younger type teams playing in the Olympic tournament, making it a launching pad for young stars.
      The pros should have a World Cup of Hockey 2 years after every Olympics in August/September. It’s a no-brainer. Hold it in North America the first time and in Europe the second. Hockey fans across the globe will tune in. There’s a fortune to be made there.

66. habs001 says:

USA gets credited for a goal in the s/o…pending the Swedish game (4-2 Sweden after 2 )..If Canada beats Finland in regulation they would be the number one bye seed..

67. frontenac1 says:

Dalton Thrower”s 18yr old kid brother Josh,Chucking them last night for Tri- City Americans. Tough Kid.

68. GGtheHab says:

He was a huge part of the Canada Jr teams comeback against the russians a few years back, although they fell a bit short. When the Bulldogs came to town for a practice last year he was the one guy I made sure to get a picture of. I knew he would be good but he has exceeded my expectations..we found a keeper there!

69. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Hey all,
    In Birmingham, England, and missing all the hockey.
    It’s driving me nuts, just like the guy with the steering wheel in his shorts.

I can’t get ANY hockey highlights online either.
    Does anyone know where I can get highlights to the US game (or the Canada game)?
    TSN links to CBC, which doesn’t work in Europe.
    Halp!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. Had that been the gold medal game basically no one won the game as it ended in a 2-2 tie, thus all members from both teams receive Silver medal. Then Quick and Oshie receive Gold medals for the shootout competition. The End.

Hockey is a team game, you win and lose as a team.

FYI I hate fighting in hockey and really have no idea what fighting and shootouts have to do with Olympics.

That’s it, back to Winnipeg.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi shane

I despise the NHL staged fights that pits 2 huge beings against each other for the sole purpose to inflict hurt and damage.
      Yes, it serves no purpose with only brain damage as a result.

That being said, how do you consider a spur of the moment little tussle between 2 good hockey players where the emotion of the game becomes overwhelming when a cheap shot happens.

Ex: Crosby vs. Niskanen

A few off balance punches never hurt anyone. ( remember growing up?)
      The game in general needs an emotional outlet sometimes because if that doesn’t happen, we may be witness to a Wayne Maki-Ted Green tomahawk episode that is much worse than any fight.

If there is no outlet for young, high strung guys, then other crap takes over…gut spearing-high sticking-more head shots and hitting from behind that are well documented to cause more concussions than a Crosby-Niskanen softie punch fight.

71. Late to the unofficial shootout poll but here goes.

I’ve never been a fan of something that to me always smacks of a sideshow skills competition. I love the one on one excitement of breakaways and penalty shots in the course of the game. I would simply prefer the game be decided by the entire team.

No big deal.

punkster is Canadian!!!

• Habfan10912 says:

Yep! What we saw today was a shame. One player was allowed to determine the outcome. Not fair to anyone. And I’m from the US.

I disliked the shootout from day one and will dislike it the day I take my last breath. I don’t care if my team may benefit. I think its dumb.

So if Canada beats Finland in regulation, I think that means we finish first unless Sweden can win today’s game by 6 or more goals.

Stand corrected as there are a lot of different rules for the playoffs in a tournament such as this.