Liveblog: Olympic Games, Game 2: Canada 6, Austria 0

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban, who was a healthy scratch for Team Canada’s 3-1 win over Norway in its Olympic opener Thursday, was in the lineup Friday when Canada beat Austria 6-0.

Dan Hamhuis sat out to make room for Subban on the blue line. Forward Matt Duchene, who was a healthy scratch against Norway, was in the lineup against Austria, while Patrick Sharp sat out. Subban had 11:41 of ice time, the least of Canada’s seven defencemen, and didn’t pick up any points.

Canadiens goalie Carey Price, who earned the victory against Norway, was a healthy scratch against Austria, with Roberto Luongo posting the shutout and Mike Smith filling the backup role.

Canada led 2-0 after the first period on goals from defencemen Drew Doughty and Shea Weber. Jeff Carter scored three goals in the second period for a natural hat-trick, followed by a goal from Ryan Getzlaf. There were no goals in the third period. Canada outshot Austria 46-23.

The Postmedia News live game blog was up and running with HIO’s Mike Boone joining other hockey writers from the chain. Boone will be blogging live during every Team Canada game at the Olympics. Canada’s final preliminary-round game is at noon ET Sunday against Finland.

You can join the live blog by clicking here.

(Photo by Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)

Canada dominant in win over Austria, Postmedia News

Luongo likely starter against Finland, by Mike Boone

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

Annakin Slayd back with another great hockey video, by The Gazette’s Brendan Kelly

1,297 Comments

1. Blondie est Canadien says:

Seeing as the T.J. Oshie approach to the shootout, while unconventional, appears to be effective and legal, I think we should ensure that Douglas Murray is a part of the Habs shootout crew going forward

2. nickster13 says:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think NHLers or other pros should be in the olympics. This is not a pinnacle to these guys as it is to others, and Canada(and others) didn’t even smile when they won or enjoyed just being there. They get paid millions per year while heroes like Charles Hamelin or Alex Bilodeau live and die by the olympics, and act like true professionals because of it.

I would like to see only amateur hockey players in the olympics, and the NHL or pros can have their own Canada Cup/World cup of hockey thing every 4 years instead. Bad timing based on the good games we’ve been seeing, but as I said, we could have a world cup of hockey instead of trivializing all the other athletes.

• JUST ME says:

I used to have the same opinion as you do and still have a hard time with seeing pros messing around with athletes that do this for the passion and not for money. But as someone wrote the other day we may be too far to come back to the original formula even though we would want it.

Already it is more than possible that this is the last appearance of the NHL players to the games for many reasons. Who will replace them then ? In every country ? What structures will need to be changed in every country to achieve the demand to use amateur players only at the olympics ?

You see ! I answered you question without disrespect ! Some should take notes…

3. frontenac1 says:

So Barkov is out of the Tourney with a knee injury? The Finns will still play us hard amigos. Better not let up. Saludos!

4. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I am not crazy about shootouts, especially in playoff situations. I have no problem with it in round robin/regular season scenarios. What I do have a problem with is sending out the same #@$%@ shooter all the time. I thought it was a team sport? What a farce. The team with the best “group” of shooters should win…not the team with the “one” best shooter. Could you imagine if they did this in soccer? What a joke…

On a side note…maybe PK should have practiced his shoot-out moves…LOL.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed all around. Except the losing NHL team in shootout or OT should get 0 points and the winner 2.

Absolutely no shootout in playoffs or medal rounds.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

Here is the Brendan Gallagher report on a Vancouver TV station I posted about earlier on this thread. Very enjoyable.

It’s kind of cool to see Canucks fans ruing that they didn’t snap up Brendan when they had a chance. We’re not the only ones who suffer from draft revisionism.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Maritime Ronn says:

What a great young player.
      Tip of the hat to Timmins on going for a small fella at the 147th choice in 2010.

Word out on BG is that he is a great young man, and the word RESPECT runs his life.
      He just loves the game and doesn’t get distracted by outside stuff.
      In terms of “Respect,” it starts with the parking lot attendant to the Bell centre workers to CH employees to the coaching staff and then most importantly, to his team mates.
      And don’t be fooled by the boyish smile.
      This guy has a compete fire second to none.

• GGtheHab says:

He was a huge part of the Canada Jr teams comeback against the russians a few years back, although they fell a bit short. When the Bulldogs came to town for a practice last year he was the one guy I made sure to get a picture of. I knew he would be good but he has exceeded my expectations..we found a keeper there!

6. Maritime Ronn says:

@TSNRyanRishaug:
    Bylsma says he would have kept going back to Oshie had it kept going. Wasn’t thinking of changing.
    ———————-
    Was the shootout exciting?
    Of course it was.
    Should the game be decided that way?
    Perhaps preliminary rounds…and only perhaps.

Now, let’s do a hypothetical fast forward to the Gold Medal Game.
    Let’s say…..Canada vs. the USA.

The teams are tied after 20 minutes of OT and guess what?
    The game will be decided by a Shoot Out – The Gold Medal game.

After 30 shots by the TJ Oshie wonderkid, he finally beats Carey Price and Team USA walks away with the Gold.

I wonder what the comments would be here by Team Canada and Habs fans?
    That is was exciting to watch….?
    That a shootout is the way to decide it all?
    Somehow, I think not….

• Un Canadien errant says:

In an ideal world Ronn, I get it. I remember being at a party at the home of a friend one spring evening, we’d started in the backyard but as the evening cooled most of us moved inside, and we caught up to this amazing game between the Islanders and Capitals that went into multiple overtimes. High theatre, memorable game.

When we analyze it though, it’s still a highly random outcome, a pinball weak shot from Pat Lafontaine that found a way in past an exhausted and screened Caps goalie, whereas there were a hundred bounces before that that could have decided it, either way. It was as capricious an ending as one that is decided by a shootout.

Same with the Canadiens, who came so close to eliminating the Bruins in 2011, if not for five or eight lucky bounces for the Bruins. We remember the Michael Ryder save, but there were posts and near misses before that, and we forget those in our favour. Ultimately, whether their win was more ‘fair’ than one that would have come in a shootout is debatable.

I’ll say again, if we opened up the game, and let Patrick Kane and Pavel Datsyuk really operate, we wouldn’t have to worry about shootouts. But we allow the game to be so stifling that an arbitrary and artificial exercise is the only way to ensure we decide a winner in a timely manner.

• Maritime Ronn says:

uce

Your points are well taken as usual – and yes, OT games are sometimes decided by fluke goals and some luck, perhaps a lot of luck.
        Some of those OT games are memorable, and perhaps at the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is knowing we can debate this topic forever, yet what would be most interesting would be the opinion of the players – perhaps via an NHLPA vote…and then, the opinion of the revenue generating fans.

Change is inevitable, as is adjustment…yet change for the sake of change is not always the perfect prescription.
        Society is the best example of that….

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Obviously we need to kneecap Oshie before that happens. ;)

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

7. Lopaz is Canadian says:

Can’t imagine Oshie is going to ever forget this game!

Just a fantastic win for the USA!

Anna Sidorova… Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, mmmm!

• Mavid is a Canadian says:

and it should be Timo the Canadian..get with it..geez

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think the brunette on Team Canada’s women’s curling team is just as hot if not hotter than the four Russian skanks. :-). Go Canada go!

• Mavid is a Canadian says:

LOL Russian Skanks..

• Maritime Ronn says:

You’re splitting hairs there Hobie

• frontenac1 says:

Hobie! Good God man!Those Russian gals are adorable.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Kids in the Hall:

Dave: Yes, I had to. You see, she was a woman, and I happen to love all women.

Bruce: I see, she found your love too interesting, too intense, too…jackhammer.

Dave: No…not specific enough.

Bruce: I see, she was upset that you were loving other women. In her narrow way, she presumed that you were…cheating on her.

Dave: Yes, but wasn’t I really only cheating myself?

Bruce: Of course you were. [takes a long sip of his drink]

Dave: I love all women! Is that a crime?

Bruce: Actually in some places it is.

Dave: Oh.

Bruce: But it’s not a crime of the heart.

Dave: No.

Bruce: You were brave to love her, and her sister. AND the maid.

Dave: We are not pigs.

Bruce: No. We just love women!

Dave: How many?

Bruce: [pauses] All.

Dave: Yes, but how many women have you *loved*? [makes a suggestive punch in the air]

Bruce: Oh, *loved*. I would have to express the women I’ve *loved* as a percentage of the whole. Oh say forty percent.

Dave: Ooh. Well that is a *lot* of women.

Bruce: They don’t understand that the women we’ve loved is not a number.

Dave: No, but if it were that number would be quite high. [Points up to emphasize]

Bruce: You understand. Sometimes I wish that *you* were a woman.

Dave: Oh, as do I, as do I. Then, I could love myself.

Bruce: If you were a woman, I would love you. And wait for you to throw a drink on me.

Dave: And I would throw one, were I a woman.

Bruce: And if you were a woman, I would deserve it. It is in our very makeup, we cannot change who we are!

Dave: No! To change would mean…to make an effort.

I am watching Canada RUssia curling ladies game. I am not sure why but I can’t stop.

• Mavid is a Canadian says:

those Russian women are stunning..but they are going down… :evil:

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s what PVR’s are for. I’m still not done watching the Switzerland-Russia game yet, they’re starting to stack up.

The curling has been very enjoyable this week. We’ve taken shots at the Sochi games for the accommodation gaffes, but as a viewer, the images have been amazing, for all sports really. There’s never any need to fast-forward, the endless slow-mo’s and the creative perspectives and points of view and the shots of happy fans are all a delight to behold.

10. Mavid is a Canadian says:

that old lady in the gum comercial is down right creepy..

11. Un Canadien errant says:

So a majority of posters don’t like the shootout. I asked for them to make themselves heard, and they were, loud and clear.

I’m one of the simpletons who was on the edge of my seat during this nine-round shootout. Call me a philistine if you must. It was high drama. I was entertained.

I’ll offer the meager rebuttal that all those proponents of tight, checking, defensive hockey, of “not letting the refs decided the game”, of not calling too many penalties for fear of interfering with the flow of the game, are in large part ultimately responsible for the shootout, the root of all evil, paradoxically. If all the crosschecks in the back of players who are trying to protect and play the puck were disallowed, if the light-to-medium-to-moderately-heavy slashes on the hands and sticks and shin pads were proscribed, if a penalty were called whenever a player was obstructed, not only when it’s shamefully flagrant, or when a player did a decent job of pratfalling, there would be more scoring opportunities, more wide-open play, the neutral-zone trap would be ineffective, and scores in the third would be more likely to be 7-4 rather than 2-1.

Tight games lead to 1-1 or 2-2 scores in the third period, at which point anything goes as the refs “are loathe to inject themselves into the game”. Defensive hockey begets impasses, which beget the need for a shootout so people can go home at a reasonable hour. If refs aren’t going to call penalties in the third, Andrei Markov will keep getting crosschecked in the back while he’s prone on the ice, and no one is going to score, and that will go double during overtime, so a shootout it will have to be.

So Don Cherry and Mike Milbury, as you rail against the shootout, be aware that you’re the authors of your own misery. And if you really want the shootout to be no longer a part of hockey, I’ll gladly forego it if you give me a game of hockey that doesn’t include Greg Campbell and Martin Hanzal.

———————————————————————–

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Ouch, calling me Cherry or Milbury?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Negative, calling them out themselves, and all the ex-goons who are tapped to be the analysts and sages of hockey.

Like, why does Michael Landsberg have Mike Milbury, Rob Ray and Linden Byers on his regular rotation of guests and authorities on hockey? Is Gilbert Perreault really that busy that he can’t talk fifteen minutes every week? Igor Larionov was always a smart cookie when he was interviewed when he played for the Canucks, why don’t we ever hear from him.

Face-punchers are all unanimously against the shootout, and that in itself should tell us something.

• CalgaryHab says:

Watching TJ Oshie take 5 minutes per shoot-out attempt is hardly a hockey play. I’d buy the shoot-out gimmick if an opposing player started form the blueline and chased the shooter. The way it is now resembles more of a slam dunk contest.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Unless we have a ‘chaser’ from the defending team on the ice to hurry the shooter along, it would be hard to legislate against moves like T.J. Oshie’s. My only worry is the spinorama move whereby a shooter enters the goalie’s crease. As long as that doesn’t happen, as long as there is no contact with the goalie, I’m okay with creative moves.

• JUST ME says:

I think that in this case one must read between the lines. If you ask the posters here if they enjoyed the show i am sure that they will all say yes ( apart from the usual negatives of course) and if you ask them if they too were on the edge of their seats they will probably all say yes also.

So what is wrong ? Had a good show ,was kept in the thrill of the game until the last second.

Still hockey games that important should be played as it was originally intended between 2 teams until one of the two scores. One can say though that both teams at this point still have a chance but it could have been brutal for one or the other and then it probably would not have been really fair. Cannot imagine what would have happened if this meant that Russia was out of it…

• ABHabsfan says:

As usual UCE your post is well written and well thought out, always a good read. What the hockey “dinosaurs” like Milbury and Cherry perhaps don’t get is that when refs strive to not influence a game by not calling the rules as they are written, they are in fact influencing the game by allowing less skilled players to “mug” the better players and not allow the superior skill to triumph. A penalty should be called for an infraction whether at the beginning of game 33 of the reg season or game 7; a cross-check at centre ice is the same as in front of the net and should be called as such. Could you imagine if linesman only called the offsides that were at least 2 feet over? And let the close ones go because they don’t want to influence the game?
      Alternatively to shootouts, going to 4-on-4 in the Olympics or in the NHL, go to 3-on-3 after the 1st OT would be much more entertaining and fairer way to decide the outcome. With fewer players on the ice there would be very little obstruction and stifling of the real talent as the lesser players would not likely see the ice. In this format teams would need to score as a team; good defense, passing and finishing. Hockey, in other words

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks Alberta, and I would be in favour of a 3-on-3 portion too, that would be fun.

Another way would be to reward teams with points for actually winning a game in regulation, rather than both teams shutting it down halfway through the third to preserve their point.

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

I have long been a supporter of the 3-2-1 pts scheme. The NHL is getting there I think with the ROW weighting

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Blondie est Canadien says:

I agree. The 3-2-1 points system is the only sane way to go.

12. The Jackal says:

Don’t understand the whining about shootouts. They are not the perfect way to decide a match but they showcase the high degree of talent hockey players have and that’s good for the sport and fans.

• Strummer says:

Are shootouts more gimmicky than fighting?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

No fighting at the Olympics though. ;-)

I can understand shootouts during round robin, perhaps even the quarter finals. I just think given it is a team sport with only one medal per team that the game should continue in OT to decide winners.

I recognize soccer/football has long used the shoot out, but I suppose I am a traditionalist.

• frontenac1 says:

It’s the way Euro Hockey always was,so we’re stuck with it I guess. There should be no shootouts in N.A. Hockey. Regular season a tie is a tie. Playoffs you play until a win. Like it was for years. I don’t remember any complaints about that system. It came in right after the electric puck,i believe to sell the game to the sunbelt?

13. Strummer says:

Womens curling-
    Is it the only sport where participants can wear full make-up for the event?
    Is there a make-up component to the score?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

I think my vote has to go with the two brunettes. The bleach blondes might be better suited for work in Niagara Falls.

15. Mark C says:

What? Slovenia beat Slovakia. That’s a big time upset.

16. Wintercount says:

Anybody know how much ice for Fowler and McD?

17. Mavid is a Canadian says:

Hahaha I was wondering why they were showing Tomatoes next to Canada..then I realized they are curling rocks..holy s**t..starting to go senile already..

18. Maritime Ronn says:

Price or Luongo?
    Luongo or Price?

Coach Babcock has a tough decision to make, yet he could make it easier on himself if he just defers to his Captain Sid Crosby… that answered “Carey Price,” when asked who was the best goaltender in the world.

Yes, you read it right. Carey Price is the best, according to Sid Crosby.

Back in September 2013 before this season started, ESPN asked a group of elite NHL forwards who they believed was the best goaltender in the NHL.

Of course the names of Lundqvist, Quick, and Rask came up, yet only Sidney Crosby picked Carey Price…and remember, that was BEFORE the season started, and after the late season and playoff meltdowns of Price.

Crosby:
    ” I’m going to go with Carey Price.
    He’s a big guy, he’s athletic and he’s pretty calm in there. He’s a technical goalie, I think. Probably more similar to a lot of goalies today where they’re just really calm and play a really technical game. He takes up a lot of net. So, yeah, he’s a tough one to beat.”

If the best offensive threat in the NHL, and perhaps one of the best players to ever play, considers Price as the toughest he has faced, who in the media/pundit hockey world can argue with Sidney Crosby?

• ianism says:

i really wish people here would shut up about this. they’re both awesome goalies. it’ll come down to how the team plays in front of them and how well the opponents play.

• Cal is Canadian says:

Price, to put it as plain as the nose on your face, played a much better game than Luongo. He didn’t allow rebounds to be gobbled up be the elite teams so they can score on the rebound. Luongo, on the other hand, was having pucks bouncing off him willy-nilly with no control at all, often looking surprised because he was tracking the puck poorly.
      I start Price. And, being totally unbiased about it all, I play PK as my #7 Dman.

• ABHabsfan says:

I agree Cal, You can’t really allow the shut-out to be a factor in this decision. Luongo didn’t seem to track the puck well, and I don’t think he tracks it well in general, even in the NHL. Rebounds did not go to goood spots either, even on clear shots. The arguement that he won the gold last time so he should remain is ridiculous also. That was 4 years ago and has nothing to do with now. We are not playing the same forward and d-group we did 4 years ago, why the same goalie? Because other players have surpassed them, just the way it goes.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• habs_54321 says:

go with luongo.

19. ooder says:

In all honesty I think Playing that extra game might help russia cell and get used to each other more. They were by far the better team but held their sticks a little to tight imo

20. Un Canadien errant says:

So speak up those of you who don’t like the shootout.

• L Elle is Canadian, eh? says:

No doubt that was one heck of an exciting finish. But so unfair to the goalies.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Hand waving in the air like Horshack in Welcome back Kotter!

So I don’t think games should be decided by skill contests of individuals.

Especially the medal games, just as Stanley Cup playoffs continue with sudden death OT.

I don’t deny the skill level is entertaining.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Im with you burli.
        Some people are entertained with hockey gimmicks while others like to see a game decided the way it was meant to be played

• ffenliv says:

‘Meant to be played?’. Good lord you’re full of yourself.

Who decides how the game is ‘meant to be played’? Do you know how many times the rules have evolved over the years? How about we return to the days of no forward passes?

Enjoy things as you like to. Don’t insist that something you don’t like violates some mythical natural order you’ve made up for it, though.

• Maritime Ronn says:

You probably can’t wait for baseball to change its rules from extra innings to a home run contest because its like…more exciting …or an NFL game to a longest punt contest because like wow lookie there

• Mavid is a Canadian says:

the last time I checked hockey was a TEAM sport.. shootouts makes it individual..it totally changes the purpose of the game..were not talking about net size or blue lines..but the actual core of the game..

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

@Maritime Ronn, I understand you are passionate about this topic, I think the point ffeliv is making however, is that the sport has indeed adopted this rule, particularly in IIHF competitions. It is a reality, all we can do is accept it, even if we don’t like it. However, because it has been adopted and with countries like Canada and USA participating, it means we have accepted it. Therefore no reason for us to feel as though those who do like it are wrong. Just a differing opinion.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Burli
            I’m good with solid debate, yet there is no need for the other garbage

• ABHabsfan says:

Agree with Burly; why stop at shootouts? After 3 rounds of shootout why not have a fastest skater comp or accuracy? I know, a relay race so at least it is still a team competition.
        Fans are excited for the shootout because the game hangs in the balance, not a dipsy-doodle competition ( no offense to Dipsy the HIO poster)

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Habilis Canadianis says:

I hate it. However, I do understand the need for it in the preliminary round games.

But that being said, they have to impose some more rules. What Oshie does should not be allowed. It’s not hockey at all.

Breakaways happen during games, sure, but they are full speed. There is literally never a situation during a game where a player can skate into the opposing zone untouched and going slower than a Zamboni.

I know this sounds nuts, but there should be some kind of minimum speed for the players. What Oshie did should not be part of any real game.

• scarboro_habitant says:

worked for toews in the world juniors though lol.

• Un Canadien errant says:

One solution is to have a defender chasing the puck carrier. Puck carrier is at the centre line, defender at the far blue line. And hey, that would involved more players, so it would be more of a team rather than individual exercise, and it might satisfy some of the Statlers and Waldorfs.

• habfan01 is red white and blue says:

Shootouts suck whether Olympics or NHL- and especially Olympics where 1 guy can go forever and ever

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d prefer if you had to go down your roster, the NHL way rather than the international rule that allows a team to ride the same guy all the way through. Especially in the NHL, if it promotes the inclusion of a Cory Conacher on a roster over a Matt Kassian, in case they’re needed in the shootout, it points a GM and a coach in the right direction.

• New says:

I dislike them. If I wanted to watch a one on one game I’d watch tennis.

• Cal is Canadian says:

**Waves frantically!**
      BS gimmick that end a “team” game. It’s a travesty and a bad joke.

• scarboro_habitant says:

i could do without it but gotta say, it was pretty entertaining today.

• monmick is Canadian says:

The shootouts in Sochi are sponsored by le Cirque du soleil…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

21. Mondou6 says:

Do they go to shootouts in the gold medal game too?

22. NightRyder says:

We should trade McDonagh for Scott Gomez.

23. Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

Now that’s hockey. Even the shoot out was full value. Incredible. I could easily see either team winning it all.

24. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good game. Olympic shootout rule sucks in my book.

25. EricInStL says:

Hot Russian curling chicks alert on TSN2. Drop everything. Forget hockey…

26. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I had no idea that McDonalds COO’s and Franchise owners were getting together at Mcdonalds restaurants to watch the Olympics……

27. ooder says:

Shame tovlose after dominating pretty Much the whole game. Man USA sure does flop and play dirty. U can tell Brian Burke built it

28. Hobie Hansen says:

Woohoo!!! Suck on that Russia! The Russian coaches just leave without shaking hands too. Just goes to show how cheap and unsportsmanlike they are!

29. Mavid is a Canadian says:

how is Oshie not a star…

30. dallyd says:

Too bad.

What a stupid way to end a game…a shoot out and the same guy shooting over and over and over. Dumb
    To be honest, I wouldn’t be too afraid of the U.S. The Russians were the better team and if they could have buried half of their chances they would have been up by 2 or 3.
    Outside of PP’s and shootouts, the U.S. generated almost nothing.

31. scarboro_habitant says:

clearly best game so far. might be time to get on the beer.

32. Mavid is a Canadian says:

why do we need to see what Brian Burke is doing…honestly..

33. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

T.J. Oshie for President?

34. Maritime Ronn says:

Hard to believe ovie sits on bench

35. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Pretty incredible shootout despite how many of us don’t like it.

36. chemic says:

Kovalchuck is a smooth criminal

37. scarboro_habitant says:

we`ve seen kovalchuk do that many times

38. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Wow, Kovalchuk may have the best wrist shot in the world.

• stevieray says:

It was great to shut of Healy …as he was on Kovachuks case all game ..saying he wasn’t the player he used to be because he’s in the KHL and not the NHL . Healy also ragged on Radulov about his dumb penalties but didn’t do the same about Brown’s …seems to me Healy doesn’t want to piss of his NHL buddies …Can’t stand the man …I’d even listen to Bob Cole instead ..Can’t believe I said that

39. boing007 says:

Malkin: Next stop, Siberia.
    Kovalchuk: No Siberia for you.
    Bobrovsky: Siberia for you too.

Richard R

40. DoopsyDiddler says:

Van Riemsdyk has been red hot for Toronto. 6 of 10.

41. Habfan10912 says:

Shootouts are a stupid way to decide the outcome of a hockey game. NHL, Olympic, or beer league.

42. This is no way to decide a great game.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

43. monmick is Canadian says:

Have to think advantage Russia on the shootout.

What are the chances we see Max?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

44. Maritime Ronn says:

Too bad a shootout will decide this game.
    Could watch this type of hockey forever

45. Sportfan says:

Slovakia hasn’t been very good so far.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

46. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Sure looks like a shootout to settle this one. Both goalies have been sharp.

47. monmick is Canadian says:

Where is Gomez. Is he scratched?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

He and Gionta are now working for US Immigration helping lure more hockey players to take up citizenship in the US. Just as they could lure other UFA’s.

48. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good game.

49. Maritime Ronn says:

LA Kings have the 29th place NHL power play
    Wondering what GM Dean Lombardi is thinking when he sees Markov and Voynov out there?

50. Habfan10912 says:

I’m gonna need a refill on my Plavix! #chestpains. :)

51. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Yemi is a tank!

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

52. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Do they have the Embellishment call in Olympics?

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

53. Maritime Ronn says:

Brutal brutal refereeing
    Stealing a great hockey game
    A disgrace

54. Mavid is a Canadian says:

fell pretty easily..just sayin..

55. Mavid is a Canadian says:

my old eyes are failing me..net looked on to me..

56. scarboro_habitant says:

whats the tied after 60 min format?

57. Un Canadien errant says:

If I’m the ref, I think of my family and remember that Vladimir Putin is in the stands, and I allow the goal. But that’s just me…

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Does the peg system they are using look very flimsy compared to the NHL nets? Seems to me every game these nets are really coming off easily.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think that’s what Jim Hughson just said, that the pegs are skinnier than those in the NHL. He also said the rule is different, that goal would have counted in the NHL.

58. ooder says:

So which USA player bit the bullet and shoved the horseshoe up their rear

59. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Putin is going to go ballistic!

60. Mavid is a Canadian says:

Russian’s crank it up…and there it is…

61. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

The ice conditions look horrible, puck doesn’t look to be sliding well at all.

Russia with all momentum now.

62. WindsorHab-10 says:

Gotta love the look on Brian Burkes face.

63. EricInStL says:

Datsyuk is the man. Imagine what Babcock is thinking seeing Markov + Datsyuk…

64. Un Canadien errant says:

Just as I was about to gripe that Andrei should be manning that point, not Pavel Datsyuk…

———————————————————————–

65. ooder says:

So is Dustin brown unable to finish a game without going knee on knee? What a disgusting player

66. Mavid is a Canadian says:

and there it is..Putin clapping and thinking “yes as I planned it”

67. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Just a great game.
    It would have been sweet if Marky buried that one.

Waiting excitedly for GOLD

68. ianism says:

there’s your equalizing penalty call on brown. god he is dirty though.
    aaaand it’s tied

69. scarboro_habitant says:

that place is gonna errupt if russia scores on this PP.

70. Lopaz is Canadian says:

USA!!!!

71. ooder says:

Ridiculous flop by parise onto the goalie

72. Hoegaarden says:

Looks like Radulov wants back in the NHL, at least in the USA.

73. WindsorHab-10 says:

Nice goal by U.S. I Think Radulov is probably done playing for the Russians. 2 dumb penalties the difference.

74. Lopaz is Canadian says:

Hope Radulov knows a secret exit to leave the arena