Liveblog: Flyers win 4-3 in OT, draw first blood

VanR

Daniel Brière put the puck past Martin Brodeur twice in overtime.
The second time counted.
It took the Flyers only four minutes of OT to win the first game of their series against the Devils.

Philadelphia had a 30-11 shot advantage over the final 44 minutes of the game.

• On L’Antichambre Saturday night, François Gagnon reported the Canadiens have interviewed Pierre McGuire for the vacant general manager’s position.

Chicago Blackhawks assistant general manager Marc Bergevin also has been interviewed.

Yvon Pedneault’s take

1. rhino514 says:

Don´t agree per se with the ubiquitous comment that a new direction re a GM is needed.
    When you have a franchise with the history and tradition of the montreal canadiens, you milk it for all it is worth.
    Look at Gainey; no playoffs in most of the years before he came in, playoffs in 4 out 5 years afterwards, missing the fifth year by one point. The franchise gained instant credibility.
    And for those of you who knock Gainey, please take a look at his GM record from 1996 onwards (after he stepped down as coach to focus exclusively on GM duties) with the Minnesota Wild. There are particular challenges about running the Montreal Canadiens. Many may disagree, but I think he got the most out of what he could get during his seven years. It´s easy to look at Gomez and disregard his moves and philosophy as a whole.

Not saying an ex player guarantees success; Houle and Tremblay were terrible. But all things being equal you are much better off bringing in someone who is part of the family and has a special bond to the organization, than bringing in someone who who doesn´t understand the landscape, and the significance of the team to the province which goes much beyond hockey.

A new direction will undoubtedly be taken, but that´s because all the qualified guys who are ex players from the late seventies, or the select few character guys from the early eighties who played with and in the tradition of those ex players, are getting too old to be GMs. Except maybe Risebrough. Hence it will be a new direction out of necessity, not as a conscious decision.

p.s. PG was not Gainey´s puppet. He´s a big boy and made his own moves. Never got that one, either.

2. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Will we have a GM in place by the end of this week? I sure hope so as I’m getting a little tired of the “he’s been interviewed” reports.

———————————–

Has the late insertion of Radulov into the Nashville lineup and into a top line actually hurt this team more than helped?

I don’t doubt for a minute that Radulov is an extremely talented player, but seems he may not have bought into the system which Trotz is and has been preaching. In fact this Nashville team has added alot of pieces over the past couple months with Gaustad, Andrei and Gill as well. I have no doubts that Gill is completely bought in with the Nashville system, but wonder if Radulov is getting away with not playing that way, others may think they dont need to either.

Perhaps I am reading too much into this situation, but am wondering if indeed adding such an important player so late may be more negative than positive. Have to wonder also if there are veterans on this Preds team whom remember Radulov quitting on team to go to KHL, are they happy he is being rewarded for that with key playing time upon his return?

Overall I am not sure the dynamic of Radulov possibly hurting the team could be Karma, for how they got him back after the trade deadline when teams technically wouldn’t be allowed to add a player.

• The Cat says:

You could say that after watching last nights game, but on the whole, hes helped the team more IMO The preds are 10-6 with him in the lineup.

4. The Cat says:

New Jersey had no business being so close to win…In the other serie, I think thats as good as itll get for Phoenix, I think Nashville will win 4 straight.

5. nickster13 says:

Where is everybody!!!!! HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Apparently Bobby Ryan could still be had, Lets make it happen! Trade Pleky, it would benefit both teams.
    Also Matt Carle of the Flyers is a free agent this summer. Easy signing, lets make that one happen too.
    “I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

6. commandant says:

Awooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Take out those preds.

I want to pick in the low 50s instead of high 50s

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

7. frontenac1 says:

Ok,maybe not the getaway car,but put a fedora on him and he could definetly be collecting protection money.

8. BrianSkrudland says:

Gomez is needed in Nashville. He is 84th on the all-time playoff points list. They need one more Hab to put them over the top!

• Clay says:

But he’s so important to the Habs – I’m not sure we can afford to part with him.

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

9. frontenac1 says:

Yes Neumann, Cashman used to have a cottage in the area.Scotty Arniel ,Larry Murphy,Kirk Muller,Dougie Gilmour,Wendel Clark all have had or do have cottages in the area.Gateway to the Canadian Shield.

10. hansolo says:

Who would have imagined Nashville would give up 39 shots so far to Phoenix? They did to Detroit but Phoenix? Phoenix is obviously a whole lot better than I gave them credit for.

11. boing007 says:

Wile E Coyotes. Awooo!

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

I think I’m pulling for the Yotes. Why?

1. We actually own 1/29th of the team.

2. People of Glendale are getting royally screwed by the league.

3. The draft pick of course.

4. The more money they make the likelier they are to stay in Arizona. No team for Quebec City. Petty? Sure.

5. There is actually nothing to hate about them.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

13. hansolo says:

About Pierre McGuire:

If he is really a friend of Geoff Molson’s, I can see him getting a courtesy interview just because of that friendship. Based on what we’ve heard about interviewees, especially Jim Nill, it seems to me Serge Savard and Molson are going into this with their eyes wide open. I think Savard saying Pierre is a nice guy whom he’d love to play golf with is a true indication of Pierre’s prospects.

Nill being interviewed – and we don’t need to fret about whether he really would be a good GM or not — encourages me about the process. It’s obvious proficiency in French would be desirable but isn’t essential. I also like that Marc Bergevin is being interviewed. He meets many of the requirements. He is a hockey guy who has held every important administrative position in the Hawks’ organization except that of GM. He was a pro scout and director of pro scouting. He can only be an improvement on PG. It’s actually good he hasn’t been Stan Bowman’s right-hand man till this year because he therefore isn’t responsible for blowing up the team (which I don’t think was done as thoughtfully as it might have) after the Cup win. And, yes, he speaks French.

What happened to Julien Brisebois? Did his stock fall? I’m sure he’ll get an interview but I’m surprised we’ve heard about Pierre McGuire before we did about him. He isn’t a “hockey” guy like Bergevin, not having played professionally. While he doesn’t have the breadth of experience Bergevin has had, his credentials administratively, especially his reputation as a cap guru, are otherwise excellent. Perhaps Bergevin and Brisebois could be a tandem: Bergevin as GM with Brisebois as a quasi assistant with the same role Nill has in Detroit. Although he would on paper be making a “lateral” move, his role as AGM in Montreal would likely exceed considerably the role he has in TB now. I’m sure Savard and Geoff Molson know how to arrange titles and responsibilities so it wouldn’t be simply a lateral move.

It’s rather exciting, actually. The days when you could just have gotten the job based on your knowing the owner or being a former player with no other experience — like Rejean Houle or Garth Snow did — seem to be gone. Our new GM will in all likelihood be competent and be empowered to make us competitive again — for a Cup, not just the play-offs.

• habs_54321 says:

in my opinion i don’t like julien brisebois as the gm just only for the fact hes been within the organization before his opinions have been heard his voice has been heard, i think we need new blood new ideas with creative and proactive attitude, i like mcguire because i think he has good ambition and i like the ego factor i whant someone with a bit of an ego/perfectionist i think it makes them better and more proactive compared to someone like gauthier who i viewed as way to reactive to problems fixing them as they came instead of having foresight and fixing them before they occur

• Mike D says:

According to Dreger’s piece on TSN, we may not have to wait long to find out who the new GM is going to be.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

14. Stormin says:

I think I will put my faith in the interview process, where Serge Savard and Geoff Molson will find the man with the right vision, pro player procurement abilities, amateur and pro player evaluation, cap room management skills, along with professional level contacts throughout the League, North America and Europe to name a few skills required. I think the interviews, initial and follow ups will weed out any candidates not up to the tasks at hand.

That said I am no Pierre McGuire, or Julien Brisebois or Marc Bergevin etc… supporter. I support the Canadiens and have to hope Mr. Molson & Savard know how to conduct interviews to find the right man. I have my doubts about every candidate , but allot of the anti Mcguire stems from his on air persona, and that really should not come into play, so he is annoying, maybe if we heard Julien Brisebois or Marc Bergevin everyday we would have issues with there personas as well,

I will choose to let the hiring process and interviews and references take heed, and place my trust in our ownership group to pick the right man , whom ever they choose will and should have support for his plan.

15. frontenac1 says:

Doan! Wow the yotes just keep coming

16. Mattyleg says:

I can’t bring myself to cheer for a team just so that they beat another team that would give us a marginally better draft pick.
    I thnk that’s reeeeeeeeeeally stretching it.

As for Pierre McGuire: No, for the love of all that is holy, no.

I imagine it’s just because his name has been bandied around so much that they might as well find out for themselves what the fuss is about. I cannot imagine that clown GMing the Habs. No way. nonononononononononononono.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. Dr.Rex says:

After reading aaticles yesterday about Pierre McGuire being in the hunt in the final phases of the GM search yesterday I quickly came to the realization that I would have to learn to accept this possible disaster. SO I spent the last 24 hours watching you tube videos of PM, eating alot of peanuts from the brand with MR.Peanut and even started standing really close to co-workers at work today kinda like PM and Darren Dutchyshen on Tradecentre.

HOwever, I just cant do it………I cant convince myself that PM would be a good hire…….NOt only that I think I am constipated from all the peanuts and a couple of my buddies at work are starting to think I am a fruit after I infringed on their persoanl space to talk to them all close. My life is crumbling apart and its all because of McGuire. This is clearly a warning sign that the same thing will happen to the habs if the hire him. My stomach hurts.

18. frontenac1 says:

Doesn’t Barry Trotz remind you of the guy who drives the getaway car?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Barney Rubble?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• smiler2729 says:

Evil Spock’s fat twin brother

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• ZepFan2 says:

Silverback

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• neumann103 says:

He is just the only human I have ever seen who actually has no neck. I mean the complete absence of a neck. His head and shoulders interface directly.

I think he would be inapproriate as a getaway driver as he would have significant problems turning his head to see who was in pursuit, or whether he could execute that bootlegger turn.

More than anything he reminds me of someone with no neck.

“Et le but!”

19. smiler2729 says:

Here’s hoping the Florida Panthers become the Quebec Nordiques and NOT the Phoenix Coyotes cuz the ‘yotes would pretty much be the best team in the East.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• neumann103 says:

Look I agree that the 10th place team in the West might be better than the 7th place team in the East, but come on this is just silly.

Phoenix better than the Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Penguins maybe the Devils or even the Capitals when they decide to show up? No way.

This whole West is better and tougher blah blah blah meme…

Lets check the results since 2000
      2008 Detroit Red Wings Western
      2009 Pittsburgh Penguins Eastern
      2010 Chicago Blackhawks Western
      2011 Boston Bruins Eastern

“Et le but!”

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’ve posted essay-length comments regarding the myth of “western conference superiority”

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
        - Sean Bonjovi

• GrimJim says:

My opinion, Quebec City and GTA are being groomed for two expansion teams. If a team absolutely has to move, I bet it will be to a destination in the US

• boing007 says:

Do you think that Kevin Dineen would like to give up his head coach position if that happened?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

20. frontenac1 says:

That’s using your head Smitty!

21. boing007 says:

Coyotes feasting on their predators.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

22. commandant says:

Taylor Pyatt gets it right back.

Go Yotes Go! We want a better 2nd round pick.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

23. frontenac1 says:

Yeah,Smitty is actually from Verona, about half hour north of Kingston. He summers up here and does a lot of charity work for the kids. A real good ,down to earth guy.

• neumann103 says:

Really? My parent’s cottage is about 3 miles East of there.

Wasn’t Wayne Cashman from Verona? I thought that was its claim to fame. It was a town of about 1800 when I was a kid and I can;t imagine it is much bigger now

“Et le but!”

24. L Elle says:

Yotes lookin’ good. Can’t help rooting for the underdog.

25. frontenac1 says:

Good one Stormin!

26. commandant says:

Here’s the quote from

John Lu ‏ @JohnLuTSNMtl

“#WHC Sutter confirms that Subban’s injury is not serious but, if necessary, he would sit out the next couple of days pending doctor’s report”

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

27. Newf_Habster says:

There is a report on Twitter that PK Subban has suffered a torn MCL. Ugh!

28. frontenac1 says:

Seem to recall Chipchura was captain of Canada Junior team and Habs drafted him.Spent most of his time in Hamilton with occational call up. Then he was gone.Don’t really know what the issues were.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Serious injury before making it to the NHL (achille’s I think) and he was never the same again.

Edit: as someone else said below.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• smiler2729 says:

A bad injury robbed him of his above average skating, he went from future Montreal Canadiens captain to 4th line journeyman.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

29. ProHabs says:

Hoping the Habs sign Jordan Tootoo this off season. If I remember correctly, he is a free agent and he might be looking for a change after not playing in the playoffs for Nashville. Make this happen Patrick Roy.

30. boing007 says:

Looks like AK plays better when he’s got a beard growing.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.