Liveblog: Flyers win 4-3 in OT, draw first blood

VanR

Daniel Brière put the puck past Martin Brodeur twice in overtime.
The second time counted.
It took the Flyers only four minutes of OT to win the first game of their series against the Devils.

Philadelphia had a 30-11 shot advantage over the final 44 minutes of the game.

• On L’Antichambre Saturday night, François Gagnon reported the Canadiens have interviewed Pierre McGuire for the vacant general manager’s position.

Chicago Blackhawks assistant general manager Marc Bergevin also has been interviewed.

Yvon Pedneault’s take

1. neumann103 says:

AK46 with the goal.

Hatahs gotta hate but he is scoring in the post season instead of golfing

“Et le but!”

2. 24moreCups says:

Ak46 just scored a nice goal

3. frontenac1 says:

Big Tits scores!

4. 24moreCups says:

What happen to Kyle Chipchura? I remember people thinking he could be the next captain on the Habs on something but he never turned out.

I know he a knee injury or something, I’m glad he’s found a spot on the Coyotes though.

5. Mattyleg says:

Vermette’s 5th playoff goal?!
    That’s nuts.
    Hope the Preds get their act together.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Why? that is now our 2nd round pick they are jeopardizing. I really respected Gill when he was here, but otherwise not sure I get the whole ex-hab thing. Had these ex-habs won us a Cup, okay now that would be a different story.

Go Yotes Go!

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
        Hadn’t thought about the draft-pick…
        As for the Ex-Habs, I really liked Gill when he was here, and I’d like to see him do well, same with Frankie B, and AK. Serge, I could care less about.

I guess you invest emotionally in certain players, and that carries over to their new assignments. Like Spatch and Hammer. I still have a soft spot for both those guys. Michael Ryder is a tough one. I feel a bit compromised every time I see him, like a girlfriend I dumped because I thought she’d been cheating when she hadn’t.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Lizardking89 says:

Exactly, liked Gill and all he did for the team but the Kositsyn floater twins can go to Siberia for all I care. I’m not rooting for the preds at all.

6. commandant says:

Nice Vermette!!!

Go Yotes Go

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

7. frontenac1 says:

Sick move by Yandle!

8. frontenac1 says:

So,Chipchirra,Gill,the Cube and Tits Brothers,any other ex habs out there?

9. habs001 says:

The team has to address the faceoff issue and pp pointman..after pk and hopefully markov we have no one to play pp point right now..so unless the habs score regularly in the first minute of the pp they will have pp problems as the second unit will not produce much…

For a guy that scored 5 goals and 21 assists for his career, it really is amazing how much P.J. Stock knows about hockey….. Okay quiet night.

11. habstrinifan says:

I think just for fun Boone should blog the HABS GM announcement tonight and a mock habs draft tomorrow. And then let the ugliness begin.

Place is too quiet!

12. Stormin says:

If Markov was a forward he would play on the ACL line

13. habstrinifan says:

Dont want to stir any pots so to speak… but Markov says he’s ready to talk about P.K.

Thinks P.K. got injured so that he can hog the coverage.

14. Stormin says:

No big problem with PK , apparently he just came out of game due to a reoccurring case of IBS .

15. habsfan0 says:

Another lower body injury to PK. Was it ever revealed as to what exactly was his injury during the offseason last year?

16. 69HABS says:

The Flyers will not go all the way with goaltending like that!

I will get shot for saying this, but…. any chance a new Gm and a new Coach finds a magic potion to help Gomez bounce back? Obviously too much time on my hands between games here today.

18. commandant says:

What could have been, if only our 7million dollar C was more Briere and not Gomez,

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

19. Dunboyne Mike says:

Philly’s summer project 2011 was: a) detox the room; b) shore up in nets.
    a) looking good, although the poison is also looking good in LA
    b) expensive failure. Flyers look SO good in so many ways — but Brz must be upping cardiac stats in Philly.

20. 24moreCups says:

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned but PK was injured at the Worlds.

Edit- I just read that Boone already mentioned it.

21. 24moreCups says:

The more I read about Galchenyuk, the more I think he’s the right pick for the team. He’s going to be a good two-way center, he’s got good size and could possibly grow a bit more. He’s great defensively, he’s a play maker with a good shot, he’s got great hockey sense and apparently has started to pick up the physical side of his game.

I know at the moment we kind of have a log jam at center and are weak at Left wing postion so Filip Forsberg might be a good pick also. Galchenyuk sounds like Timmins kind of pick, can’t wait to see what happens.

22. Stormin says:

Philly would sweep this series with Alex Auld, but not Bryzgalov

Hate the flyers, have no use for the Devils. But love Golf and we have a 2nd hole of sudden death to watch. Go Ernie!!!

• Habfan10912 says:

Wonder if there is any fish in that pond?

———————————–

• Habsolutely says:

There’s a gator on one of the holes at the golf course across the street from me. Lot’s of fish to, birds, iguana’s, it’s like golfing at a frigging zoo.

• Habfan10912 says:

Lol. If I see a gator I’m picking another spot to fish.

———————————–

• Habsolutely says:

you know whats even crazier? There’s guys who bring their scuba and go in and collect the golf balls in the water to resell. I bought an extra long telescopic ball retriever so if I have to look for a ball I can stay back from the water edge. lol

24. Lizardking89 says:

Yes! Suck on that Martin F.

25. Stormin says:

Briere signs with the Impact?

No goal, love how the CBC idiots cover their tracks. First he is all over how it is good goal, then when he sees replay, Oh he kicked it, okay it doesn’t count.

27. Lizardking89 says:

Damn that’s no goal

28. Stormin says:

Bryzgalov almost let that Parise shot in

29. Lizardking89 says:

PP Flyers time to end the game here

30. HabFanSince72 says:

Just to put this tedious argument to rest, Claude Giroux grew up a Habs fan in a strongly pro-Hab Franco-Ontarian town.

• ZepFan2 says:

Thanks HFS72

I never read that. Oh well…

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks HF.
      Given the all-too familiar catalogue of reasons cited for not playing in Montreal, the list of players who say they want to is very short. The number of actual stars who say it, even shorter still. Which is what makes missing Giroux especially sickening for us. That’s the only point I wanted to make.
      BTW HF I misconstrued your ‘don’t think so’, somehow thinking it was for me, not Zep as it must have been.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“Don’t think so” was for me – as in “I’m not sure but I don’t think so”.

One thing though is the old no one wants to play for the Habs thing is way over-rated. A lot of players, and the vast majority of Francophone players, want to play for us, especially since Gainey (it has to be admitted) righted the ship.

From reading various surveys I think we are in the second tier below teams like NYR, Philly and Detroit, a preferred destinations.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That’s very good to know.
          Maybe since hockey is business there isn’t much room for mystique, maybe none. But if Francophones still want to be Habs, there’s perhaps still a little mystique left. A rare commodity, and not, I’d contend, without value. Therefore I’m glad if you reckon the negativity about playing in Montreal is over-stated.
          Cheers

31. frontenac1 says:

Easy guys! U.S.student debt has now hit 1Trillion dollars. Close to the sub prime mess that blew up.Do we really want to go there in Canada? Education is the future,we can figure it out on our own. Just going to take some calm leadership.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Big difference between $30,000 tuition and $4000.

You want to know why McGill can barely compete with third tier American colleges nowadays? Someone has to pay.

32. Stormin says:

Ron and PJ score a TEN on the Nauseous meter

33. Stormin says:

Marty Brodeur UFA if he would take say a 2M contract , would be really nice back up for Price, he could play 30-35 games. also help keep Carey in a very competitive mode. Just a thought , I do not think Marty will ever play anywhere but NJ or accept a back up role.

• Lizardking89 says:

Plus he wouldn’t shutout the Habs ever again.

• Strummer says:

We could drop the middle initial “F” from his name as well.

Edit- maybe he could give Carey some fashion style pointers as well

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

34. Dunboyne Mike says:

Anybody watching NBC?
    Did the guy just say “up the court”??!

35. Mattyleg says:

Holy weak goal.
    My God.
    Bryzgivealottagoalz looked baaaaaad.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. smiler2729 says:

The Space Cadet sucks..

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

37. Mattyleg says:

Good Early Evening All,
    Them Flyers look durn good.
    Tough as hang.
    Much prefer to see them go on, despite past ills.
    They’re not nearly as hateful this season as they have been in the past.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

Sean Couturier drafted at #8 was a bit of luck.

He was the consensus number one pick until he got mono.

38. rhino514 says:

doesn´t matter if the flyers pay 5 million for a keeper or put in an unproven rookie…they just don´t have good karma for goalies. It will always be a problem

39. Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh man — we could have had Giroux, right?
    He was desperate to play in Montreal, right?
    I feel sick every time I see him play.

• smiler2729 says:

Dude, get it over it already, 20 or so other teams passed on him too.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You’re right, Smiler, but I can’t! It gets worse because he keeps getting better!

And the other 20 teams weren’t Montreal… could have been a throwback to the era of the “Flying Frenchmen”…

• ZepFan2 says:

“He was desperate to play in Montreal, right?”

He was? I’d figure an Ontario boy would want to play for the laffs.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• HabFanSince72 says:

French Canadian Ontario boy?

Don’t think so.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Do you have to be Quebcecois to be French Canadian?
          Careful how you answer that!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Since I referred to him as an Ontario boy it’s fairly clear I know the difference between Franco-Ontarian and Quebecois.

It’s likely Giroux grew up a Hab fan. He’s said he was hoping to be picked by us.

• ZepFan2 says:

No you don’t. Does every French Canadian cheer for the Habs?

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Can’t remember where I read it, Zep. Maybe only here!

PK’s from Ontario — don’t think Leafs were his first choice either. (Can’t remember where I read that either!).

• HabFanSince72 says:

PK’s family are life-long Hab fans.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

So PK’s parents didn’t want to play for the Leafs either!
            That’s ok then.
            Who do Giroux’s parents like?

• HabFab says:

Kadri apparently is a life long Hab fan, who had tears in his eyes when the evil Laffs drafted him… but I digress.

• ZepFan2 says:

I haven’t read where Giroux wanted to play for the Habs. That’s why I asked.

———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Mattyleg says:

I’m sure he feels sick every time he comes to Montreal, wishing he was on our team.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Strummer says:

How long are you going to beat this dead horse?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

40. 24moreCups says:

Man is Giroux good, he’s one guy I’d love to have on the Habs.

41. Habsolutely says:

I think all the mouth-breathers in the Philly crowd is starting to affect the ice condition.

42. HabFanSince72 says:

So the Quebec students are now referring to the protests as the Quebec Spring.

What a bunch of entitled spoiled brats.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I hate that.
      A bunch of first-world twenty-somethings complaining that have to pay an extra few hundred dollars for a university education should really have more sense than to compare themselves to a movement in which people died in an attempt to free their country from a totalitarian regime.

In fact, that just illustrates that our education system is failing to actually educate people.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• pmaraw says:

so the average wage doesnt go up in over 25 years, yet they feel they can double tuition fees? which will now take twice as long to pay off as yours did at the same average wage. and you call them entitled spoiled brats?

• Lizardking89 says:

Exactly, the Quebec govt never fails to disgust me. They tax the people to death, the price of food is astronomical and now they try to extort money from students who are probably the last group of people who can afford it. All the while the city’s infrastructure is falling apart, corruption is rampant and the best and brightest are leaving the province in droves.

• HabFanSince72 says:

How is asking people to pay for 17% of a valuable commodity extortion?

• Strummer says:

Compare the tution fees to Ontario and get back to me.

Quebec students got it made.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Except that our universities aren’t very good anymore.

• pmaraw says:

sorry, more than twice as long when you throw in all the higher interest costs. did you know about iceland granting their entire population debt forgiveness? no? cause it was blocked out by the north american media. the other problem these kids have is the police brutality but thats a whole new level of problems. but who am i compared to these 200000 kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0tfvSZkcc ya just look at all those entitled spoiled brats.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Your first bit is the key. Tuition fees are absurdly low. Doubling them still leaves them very low.

I’m sure you don’t realize this but it costs money to run a university.

• pmaraw says:

ya, im dumb and think a university runs on air. enrollment rates are going up also. they’re simply gouging just like the gas companies. barrel of oil was the same price last year, but gas costs is 25% higher. its clear to me where you stand tho, so keep looking out your window as the crowd gets larger.

43. frontenac1 says:

Habfan, just before that game in Ottawa Larry was wolfing down a hot dog behind the bench and the guys were giving him the gears, it was hilarious!,

44. Stormin says:

PJ (oops i crapped my pants) Stock and company time to make a snack for 3rd period

45. Stormin says:

Another less talked about trade gem by Philly, Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen from Nashville for an aging Peter Forsberg and a 1st round draft pick

46. commandant says:

Bryz let’s another squeaker get through him, no confidence right now, such a huge part of goaltending.

• Propwash says:

The guy has been flaky since game one of the playoffs.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

47. Stormin says:

Bryzgalov loses focus and is a little lazy getting back in his net and bang 2-2, compete level got to be on high at all times.

48. frontenac1 says:

Man ,just imagine, Lemaire,Robinson and Kirk behind the bench next year! Oh well, dream is over.

49. habstrinifan says:

Guess I was wrong! Philly is stronger than I thought.

50. Stormin says:

Max Pac is deserving of a Van Riemsdyk type contract,

51. frontenac1 says:

What really struck me about Robinson behind the bench in that game with the Sens was how much he talked to his D men, and they really were listening.

52. Stormin says:

Briere can always score man he dominated the QMJHL for 3 years 1994-97

French skaters don’t know how to fist pump.

54. Stormin says:

Great shot picked his spot on a guessing Brodeur

55. Stormin says:

Just got back from playing baseball in some hockey weather, does not seem like their is too much enthusiasm in this game.

1st round NHL playoffs always start off like a bang and are always the most interesting round of the playoffs. The 2nd round Always seem to be a let down early hope these 2nd round games pick up in intensity.

56. Toe Blake says:

Marty just bein’ Marty!

57. frontenac1 says:

Man , would love to see Larry Big Bird work with our D behind our bench next year !

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree. I guess that depends on who the head coach is and that will depend on who the new GM is.

———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

I have a feeling if the new gm is McGuire Robinson will be on the coaching staff… just the way McGuire talks about him. I cant see him not seriously pursuing Robinson as an assistant for the D.

And pls no anti-McGuire rants at me… I am just posting this re the best chance of Robinson returning to Mtl.

58. otter649 says:

How many people go from CBC to NBC when PJ Stock starts talking ?

• Habsolutely says:

I don’t have time to switch channels when PJ is talking. I have to run for my first-aid kit to get some gauze to stop the bleeding in my ears.

• Habfan10912 says:

Otter, NBC has Dinglebury (Milbury) Just as bad.

———————————–

• otter649 says:

If I am on NBC – I hit the mute button concerning Milbury. The guy I like on NBC is Eddie Olychuk (sp) who is turning into a much better analysis than McGuire without the BS on who PM talked to & where someone played their minor hockey etc……..

59. Habsolutely says:

Ok, this PJ Stock crap on CBC is getting farcical.

60. frontenac1 says:

Beer is great Habsfan,but for some jobs only Single Malt will work! Cheers

61. Toe Blake says:

Most entertaining thing today: listening to the guys on the Spanish sports network trying to pronounce Tottenham Hotspur!

62. ABHabsfan says:

Keep dumping it in on Bryz, he is bound to shoot it in his own net before too long

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

63. Sean Bonjovi says:

Most of the Flyers’ defencemen can’t play defence.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
    - Sean Bonjovi

64. Propwash says:

Yeah, I’m happy we have Price on the Habs.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

65. commandant says:

If Bryzgalov doesn’t pick up his game and plays the same way he did vs Pittsburgh, the Flyers will be in HUMONGOUS BIG trouble.

Marty F. will play better than Fleury did.

And thats not a good start for Bryz.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

66. smiler2729 says:

I hate myself, man, I’m finding myself rooting for Giroux, Hartnell (ever since the Suck-It-Phaneuf at the ASG) and their Space Cadet goalie against the zzzzz Devils zzzzzzzz…

Beer should help me.

… and as I type that, Devils score.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• ABHabsfan says:

Beer helps everything, it has never let me down.
      I’m cheering for the Devils and Parise, something I hope to get used to

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

67. frontenac1 says:

After seeing the Devils play up in Ottawa last month ,I picked them as my Dark Horse team in the East.I don’t know but there was just something about them.Oh yeah, it was seeing Big Bird behind the bench!

68. HabFab says:

Mike , both links are the same.

69. ABHabsfan says:

Graham DeLaet of Weyburn Sask currently 2 shots off the lead at Zurich Classic of New Orleans PGA Tour event. Finally a decent Canadian golfer to follow Weir. Hope he closes well. Good option for the recall button this afternoon.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

70. habstrinifan says:

I am gonna buck the trend here. I think NJ wins this game.

Call it the Henrique factor.

Expect him to give the Flyers some fits.

Gotta go rake lawn but will be back.

71. Habsolutely says:

Ron Maclean quoting a old Montreal bands song. Weird.

72. HabFanSince72 says:

I’ve changed my mind on McGuire. Why?

1. He’d be entertaining. We need entertainment.

2. The outcome of hockey games is now almost random. Taking the skill out of the game made sense in order to keep the small market teams in the race all season long. The upshot is that you now have 5 guys on each side hacking at the puck, jamming the net, and sometimes it goes in. It’s now as much a game of skill as Pachinko.

73. ABHabsfan says:

Hello? Hell-o? looks like it’s just me and Booner today.
    How does team Canada only get one goal vs Switzerland?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

74. commandant says:

Marty F. vs the Broad Street Bullies

Any way they can both lose?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters