Live tonight on RDS!

In a one-hour special, Maxim Lapierre announces where he’ll be playing this season.

Informed sources say the choice has been narrowed to Montreal or Montreal.

• Hockey’s Future assesses the Canadiens’ draft (shout-out to SeriousFan09)

• Matthias Brunet on draft-day screw-ups

• In Pat Hickey’s column, Paul Kelly defends college hockey

• A Jarred Tinordi feature at ruefrontenac.com

• Four Habs Fans has home video from camp

Kovalchuk komedy kontinues

Down Goes Brown summer reruns

Glen Sather orders a pizza

• A must-read: Homophobia and Discrimination in Hockey

1. Slovak says:

Someone with heart, skills, balls and energy – is it possible?

Example:

Coach like they got in Detroit and manager like they got in Detroit.

Pardon me, why did they let Boucher go? Is it the same reason for Halak, for Koivu, for Kovalev, for…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

……………………………………………………………. What is the reason? Money or Cap space or space ship one or deep space Start trek new series?

:-)

2. JIMVINNY says:

The pressure is there.  Point finale.  Being nervous about it is going to help anything.

3. ed lopaz says:

as I said, indestructible fans are GREAT FANS – I have no problem with your attitude; its commendable.

but you should know that the “local” fans are quite puzzled and frustrated.

for example, as I mentioned far below on the page, Price and AK 46 are on the “bubble” – as far as I see it.

I’ve seen that “bubble” burst, and it isn’t pretty.

Should Price and AK 46 do well, than, in typical Montreal hockey tradition, the fans will roar with their approval.

Should Price or AK 46 falter, well, I’ve seen Robinson and Lafleur get booed, and Price and AK 46 are no

Robinsons or Lafleurs, thats for darn sure.

I was just trying to explain to Slavak the dynamics of his “indestructible” fans theory.

4. SLONCOLD says:

“Price because he is younger, bigger, stronger, and cheaper.”

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. you’re not at all nervous about all the pressure being put on price?

5. Mr-T says:

I see this is beyond your comprehension, a little to esoteric for you I guess. What have they “done wrong”, excellent grammer for someone in grade six by the way. I forgot you do have media outlets on Mars. As to the incoherent dribble that you wrote do not get despontent over your lack of intelligence. I am sure your IQ is at least equitable to room temperature. I realize you must have experienced enormous challenges being 16 years old in grade 7. Good luck with your career at Burger King.

6. krob1000 says:

I agree that these problems occur much younger and by the time the kid is 16 years old…..it is pretty obvious in most cases who is college/university material and who is not.  Minor sports and life in general with most families having two working parents and the chaos of everyday life make schooling and early learning a challenge but it is doable.  The elite level athlete even at early ages have to learn to balance (in reality it is their parents who need to do this as kids are kids).  I wish there were more programs available where athletes at a youunger age could get their ice time in during the day at school and learn they have to go hand in hand.  That would be ideal but funding limitations make it impossible and programs like that are only accessible if you have the big dollars to send a kid to a Hockey Factory like St Mary’s (Crosby, Parise, Toews,etc).  I know there is a similar program for baseball in Quebec somewhere that has produced several major leaguers over recent years.

Athletics should be tied more to schooling during the day so that when the day is done kids can be kids and as you said not driving 2 hours each way to play 10 minutes of game time.  Outdoor rink seasons are getting shorter every year and the most criminal thing fo all is that most rinks go unused during the day yet for “prime time” there is almost always an ice shortage everywhere you go……millions spent on these arenas by taxpayers and they sit vacant all day …… schoool should tap into this hardcore but they don’t.  I know I would have been far motivated to excel academically if it was linked tighter to sports.

7. Habsrule1 says:

Ed, I lived in Montreal for the first 30 years of my life, and probably speak better French than you, and still have lots of family there and go back often (I’m just down the road before Ottawa).

All you are doing is stating that the average Habs fan gets upset for nothing, and you’re right. the fact is most of these same fans were upset at all the changes last year as well, and voiced their displeasure. Many of them were really upset to see Kovalev go, but I tend to think the Habs management knew better.

I have no problem with any fan questioning the Habs’ moves, but that’s different from constantly bashing the Habs’ management because they are doing things differently than the average fan would. I personally see no logic in b!tching before we even see this team play a few games.

Read my signature….says it all.

Go Habs Go!!

8. Rugger says:

who do you suggest?

9. derfab says:

If these kids were training and playing during the day at school, they would not spend all of their evenings weekends and vacation time being driven from one arena to another, would learn to read, would have time to study and do homework, and could, in the majority of cases, go to a college and continue to play competitive hockey. Minor hockey is, presently, a wasteland, and one reason why most of our kids prefer to chill elsewhere.

character is derfab destiny.

10. Slovak says:

I am happy they played like a team with one heart but

If HABS got better person at driver’s seat - you don’t have to use terrible words as ”wait” , “try” , “will see” after that great season – do you?

How many times in last decade did you say that magic formula: “Wait and see” ???

11. ed lopaz says:

Slovak – the fans who are ‘indestructible” are a few dozen posters on this site.

Many of them do not live in Montreal.

Many of them do not follow the French media, and the “local” Quebec mood towards the habs and habs management.

These “indestructible” fans are GREAT FANS!! – I totally agree; because they not only support the team, they

support each and every move that management makes.

But……

I will tell you, first hand, from Montreal, and representing the French media / francophone Montreal / Quebec

region fans, that many fans – thousands and thousands – are very upset about how this summer has gone.

These fans – and they are the ones who have season tickets, who fill the local bars night after night, are

very suspicious of the logic being used here.

These are also good fans – but they are NOT indestructible; not at all.

That’s the way I see it from here.

12. Habsrule1 says:

They finished in the FINAL FOUR! I know only The Cup matters, but be happy we were better than 26 other teams. You did not think that would happen last summer and you don’t think it’ll happen now, but can we please just wait and see?

I think we’ll finish with 5-10 more points than last season, and by then we should know how likely we are to win a couple rounds again.

By the way, i loved our players last year too, but the point is they are not Habs anymore. I wish them the best, but when they play against the Habs, i’ll be cheering for OUR guys.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

13. krob1000 says:

Not necessarily true…I know several players who played junior hockey here with the Frontenacs and had a year of university paid for for each season they played in the OHL.  Many who play here even take classes while they play in their later years…obviously full time is not possible given the heavier schedule demands of the CHL but many take classes and then when they are done many go on to have their university paid for and proceed to play university hockey as well.  Soem hockey palyers are just not cut out for university and that is true of any segment of the population…from my experiences with the guys I have known the guys who are university material….end up going to university ….the ones who are not….do not….the hockey players that are good enough…continue to play hockey.

14. derfab says:

Time to get fully subsidized hockey and paid coaches into the schools. Local programs no longer work because they are too expensive, too time consuming and often run by incompetent people (junior hockey included).

We need to get our best athletes playing our sport at an early age just as we need to give them another reason to show up, learn discipline and navigate through the classroom nonsense they will inevitably be subjected to on a daily basis.

character is derfab destiny.

15. Slovak says:

To take a bite is one of those great creative solutions…

Unfortunatelly HABS management aka money suckers are not creative

They can only thank to GOD they got fans like you guys – indestructible

16. pmaraw says:

i doubt either of them will be the best goalie.  i really hope price pulls it together tho and learn to make saves when the team needs him to.

17. dh says:

I don’t think that it’s insane for “people who say that they are fans” to support the players that worked hard and played with a lot of heart.

I’m not saying that the team is worse (or better) than last year but it seems normal to me that people would support Halak, Moore and Metro.  The same as they supported the players that got cut last year.

I also wonder how a coach can get players to play with that much heart when they see what happens.

18. TommyB says:

In the article from Hickey’s column….Paul Kelly says, “The problem with the CHL is that it talks only about its success stories.  They don’t talk about the youngsters who don’t make it.”  Such a true statement, that is.  In Junior, if you don’t make it a lot of players hit the wall.  After their junior careers are over, and they went undrafted, or they were drafted but didn’t make the cut, many of these players have nothing left to show for all those nights of riding the buses and drinking beer.  For quite a few of them, the only thing that changes is they don’t ride the bus anymore.   At least with the College option, should they find their hockey careers are over,  a player finishes his career with a degree and a future.   I’m not calling this the template for all CHL players, but it does apply to many of them.

19. andrewberkshire says:

Bugs has high standards!

20. Puck Bard says:

Do you really want to? A waste of valuable time.

21. Puck Bard says:

Yes, the dominos rested with Metropolit. Without him it all comes crashing down.

We are just as good as we were last year, and just as vulnerable.

22. Rugger says:

I am at work, but it is my home office, so not sure that counts.

23. 123456 says:

wait just a minute – am i the only actively at work habs fan using company resources to post messages??

Only way to live my friend. Say hi to Shawn for me.

25. Habsrule1 says:

First of all, any way to administer a shock to anyone who mentions the blues new goalie?

I have to laugh when I read G-Man saying the goalie and role players who got the Habs to 4th best are gone.

The role players are being replaced with other role players. There was no way to know if the ones we had would do as well this year anyway. It’s not like they all have sparkling careers, hence the term role player. As for the goalie, the Habs are banking on Price because he is younger, bigger, stronger, and cheaper.

It is just insane how people who say they are fans can be negative before the players even hit the ice. I’m not saying to have blind faith, but at least wait. you are all the same people who said all last summer and into the season that the Habs would miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round….4 straight!

Wait until they actually suck to say they suck!

Or you can BELIEVE.

Ian – I golfed the past three days in this heat so today I’m taking it easy and sitting by my pool.  Shawn is taking his boys fishing and then dropping by my place for a beer and a dip in the cement pond.

27. DD says:

I’m glad it worked out for you Chuck. If anyone deserves to go, it’s you. You will be in your element tonight for sure, and if you wear the right glasses, you might just see Jerry up ther on stage. Have a great time.

Going to have to ask a cop for help on this one!

More Fan Summit Information

29. BJ says:

Two ways to look at it Ian. Either the hole appears to expand or the donut is multiplying.

BJ– if you were to cut the donut in half, would the hole disappear?

31. Natrous says:

:D It’s all good – and I fully agree, $3.3M per seems to be a lot more than he’s worth at present based on past NHL accomplishments, but if they go for a long-term contract, I can see that as being what he earns.

I hope we’re both wrong!

32. BJ says:

Sorry the above comment should have been a reply at the very start of this blog. Maybe the absolute rises to the top?

33. ZepFan2 says:

Actually, he gave me a, “nice save” the other day.

But then again, he did come back and whine about my posting style.

So, who knows?

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

34. BJ says:

In terms of absolute consciousness you are both the hole and the donut but primarily the hole in which the donut appears. Take a bite…..

Steve! should be here sitting around my pool here with me, talking Habs, with ice cold drinks in our hands and watching our great looking women paddling around in the water. Only an hour drive!

36. mike g says:

I’m in the same boat as you are, the NBA never fizzed me…

And I too find it rediculous that these 3 can meet and decide the fate of the league for the next 5-10 years. Say what you want, wherever they went would impact the NBA and certain teams in extreme ways.

The league said they didn’t allow them to meet because it was illegal, but let’s get serious here. They met, plain and simple.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

37. Storm Man says:

I see it like this if Wade is the general on the floor and CB4 knows his place on the team and Lebron is the star Miami could be a very tough team to beat. I dont see Shaq going back to Miami and I dont think Boston needs him. Miami still has some holes to fill as im not sure how many players they have under contract. It should be alot of fun if Miami does pull this off.

“#10 – NHL GM’s go online to prepare for the trade deadline
    This one includes a hilarious joke about Jaroslav Halak being traded, even though he’s the Habs best goalie. As if they would ever do that.”

(Down Goes Brown)

39. Malreg says:

Unfortunately they are all free-agents, so they get to do whatever they want…

40. Malreg says:

Holy wall-o-text Batman!

41. TripleX says:

I don’t like or follow the NBA even though I love the Final Four Tournament.

But how does the NBA allow these players to basically engage in collusion to group decide on where they will go?  How does this impact on the integrity of the game?  Imagine if Crosby, Ovy and Malkin all decided together on which team to join?

Greatness is earned not rewarded……

42. punkster says:

Just saw the post Rob and responded with my views. Anything over $1.5M per and over 2 years term is wrong. I fully expect it to be more but I am hoping the reason it has taken this long to announce is that management has refused to be stupid about this kid any more. Not likely but possible I guess.

FREE TIMO!

43. punkster says:

Anything over $1.5M per is just silly. Anything over 2 years is absurd.

FREE TIMO!

44. andrewberkshire says:

Ha!

Does Bugs give compliments to anyone not named Bugs?

45. ed lopaz says:

marc,

first, let me answer this about Halak – he was restricted with arbitration – habs (and arbitrator) could have

forced a 1 yr deal for about 4 million – according to the reports I heard, that;s what the Habs were expecting.

there is NO KHL in Halak – he has played major junior in Quebec, and then he spent a few seasons in hamilton

I happen to know Halak’s goalie coach in lewiston, (QMJHL) – Halak is a modest, quiet, hard working young man. That’s it.

The arbitration of Halak would have closed at about 4 million; and Price would have been signed for about 2

(that;s 6 million).

Re: AK 46 – well, if we have NO ONE to replace AK 46, we are in big trouble, my friend.

AK 46 is about 10 games away from the dog house – and he completely stunk up the joint last year.

If the habs have no plan to move AK 46. then they do not deserve anyone’s respect.

Somebody on this team, or in Hamilton, would be as effective as AK 46.

I would have been all for keeping them both, but it just wasn’t in the cards.

Marc, your instincts to keep both were absolutely perfect!!!

The strength of this team was the goaltending last year – now, we have weakened our best position.

Bob Mckenzie says you can change thename of this game from hockey to “goalie”.

Just ask Ovechkin how important the Habs goaltending was in game 5, 6, 7 of their series.

46. Mr-T says:

I misspelled that word just for you simple simon. Again you are grammatically incorrect throughout that obtuse rant. You may want to go to a library to read a book, that is assuming that you are even capable of reading anything more challenging then a comic. I know that you have never been inside one before so leave a trail of crumbs on the floor so that you can find your way back out again. One can not have a informed debate on a given issue with a person[you] who gets his intellectual stimulation from counting along with Big Bird on Sesame Street. This is just beyond your comprehension.

47. krob1000 says:

Those three can play 40 minutes most nights though as they normally do…they are still young but Bosh willg et hurt at some point.  The cool thing they’ll have going is that either Wade or James can create their own shot, knock down a three and can be trusted late inshot clocks, end of games, boig shots,etc.  Bosh is there is by some bizarre fluke they are covered and draws some  pressure inside…..gonna be scary for other teams but they still need a competent ball handler who will make smart decisions and not turnover the ball, they also need a couple big men  who can help Bosh inside so he doesn’t get fouled out because as you mention their top three are fantastic but….outside of them they still need average players.  The Bench only really matters IMo in the regualr season but those three will have a strong enough record to make the playoffs so no biggie there.  They can always pick up scraps at the deadline….not unlike the Pittsburgh Penguins (whose core is so good they just continue to rebuild around them year in and year out).

Interesting note…..Shaq goes where the winning is…he is available….he’s won with Wade, he don;t like seeing Kobe win and he just played with Lebron…..he’s made his cash ….could he end up there too? Would he accept far less cash to do so? He talked trash leaving Miami and called Bosh Rupaul…but the Diesel gets away withanything and I think he’d rather join Rupaul then get beat by Rupaul who is flanked by Wade and Lebron.  The only other option for Shaq I see that he would consider is Boston…and I see this as their last real shot.

48. Storm Man says:

Some very good points you have made, I would take a closer look on the teams you have pointed out and how good the bench was also. If the Heat get the 3 top UFA’S this year what money do they have left to pay for other players? 3 players cant play 42 mins a game.

49. twocents says:

Well I guess it’s alright… but it ain’t worth all that much, I mean it’s not like Bugs said it.

Now that would be a very nice compliment. phew! ‘magine? :o)

50. kempie says:

I find it curious that your handle is Mr-T. There is another Mr. T (242) on here who shares many of your beliefs. If I didn’t know any better, I might think that this was posted by T242 using a dictionary and a thesaurus. Now for the real test: If you repost the same thing over and over all day and all night without deviation, then Tony’s busted again. If not, then your opinion is noted and respected. FWIW, Bugs is right – wouldn’t hurt to hammer in a new paragraph now & then.

Finally, it’s Canadiens, not Canadians.

51. mrhabby says:

zeeee germans did not do it comrad…….nope de spainards..yes , yes.

52. ZepFan2 says:

They don’t care about what you have to say in the matter. They’re right and we’re all wrong.

Nice how they ignore others opinions, then bemoan those that want Tony gone because we’re stifiling other opinions. lmao

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

53. andrewberkshire says:

I take that as a very nice compliment!

54. Bugs says:

BWAAA-Ha-Ha-Ha!!!

Basketball doesn’t come up to the HEELS of…of…

Aw, nevermind, whatever.

That’s funny though.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

55. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Wow, I hadn’t heard this, which team was offering picks for AK, and what rounds we’re the picks for?

56. derfab says:

17 years later, Demers still can’t speak english or french and he took the team all the way. This ‘communication’ (i.e. p.r.)crap is beyond hyperbole. X’s and arrows on a smart board is already too sophisticated for many hockey players.

character is derfab destiny.

57. derfab says:

This kid looks like he has more guts than Sergei. He can skate and hit and, perhaps because he is a little less skilled than the K’s,  is not overly concerned with the perfect play.  I like him already!

character is derfab destiny.

58. Bugs says:

Didn’t Hannibal ever teach you how to use paragraphs?

Gripe and whine but what EXACTLY had Jack Marty and Peter Goater done WRONG in your view instead of what it takes for unnamed folks to be better than them in this dream-world of yours “within the concept of the team and the potential of any player”? As opposed to WHAT exactly? Pure drivel, sorry to say.

…think outside the box…ooohhh, ok. See, that’s what we’re doing wrong! I get it.

Go back to Toranna.

And btw, it’s never too “premature to stipulate”. That’s the whole POINT of stipulation.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

59. PeterStone says:

I cannot see it.  he holds no arbitration rights, and can be qualified at 1M$ ( or close to it ) .  A guy like Halak just signed for 3.75$, Mason got similiar … you got UFAs sitting out there

Price gets 3 years .. i can see that, but at 2.5M$ per … 7.5M to 8M$

60. SmartDog says:

Andrew below says it’s 4 years, not 3.  I was misled by another post…. I don’t always have time to do the research!  So thanks for the details, thought it was 6 years and not 7.

But I’m hoping he signs 2-3 years at a modest rate.  I wouldn’t call 3.3 million modest and don’t think he’s earned that.  I know pedigree, blah, blah, but his confidence and abilty to finish a game are REAL question marks.

So basically I hope I’m wrong.

And no, I don’t ALWAYS know my poop…. sometimes like everyone else I’m wrong (or just full of it)!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

61. mrhabby says:

gainey is a consultant..maybe still pulling the strings. Gauthier is to new to the job and needs time. Martin is a respected hockey coach who i heard the molsons hold in high esteem. like it or not we went to the ECF under his guidance. i can’t see any change in the short term. Successful companies need consistency. do the molson really want the revolving door again..me thinks not.

62. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I’m really confused by NBA UFA’s, how come the players announce which team they’re sighning with, even before the contact is signed(like with Bosh on ESPN yesterday) I would think it’s the team’s right to announce it. And what is this sign & trade deal, if he’s UFA, why would TO be able to do this? Anybody know the rules about this?

63. Chuck says:

Actually, I just scored a lawn ticket for tonight. I love the internet!  :)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed them. I’m SO looking forward to tonight. From everything that I’ve heard they’re really in top form.

Hmmm. Now only if they’ll play me Jack Straw…  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

64. derfab says:

Pro Basketball is one notch above soccer, three below hockey.

character is derfab destiny.

65. ZepFan2 says:

Lol

I missed a few inserts before I posted. It was supposed to include a; LMAO and a ;).

I’m not the fastest or best typist. I was typing it out and the phone was ringing and I rushed the friggin’ thing.

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

66. twocents says:

Listen to Andrew.*

*on this he sounds like me ;o)

67. Bob Barker says:

There is no logic in letting Price walk in a season after trading away Halak. Your friend’s theory doesn’t make any sense.

If I understand this correctly, some people wanted to try to sign Price at a backup’s salary then trade Halak and then the Habs would have their starter at a backup salary. Seems a bit sleazy to me. Probably not the best way to retain players.

Regardless of what you believe, management obviously thinks Price is the long-term solution in net, that’s why they will pay him a reasonable salary for a young starting goaltender.

As well, Gauthier obviously values depth at forward and defense more than having two starting goaltenders. I thought Halak would be able to yield a more established young player than Eller but the kid is supposed to be pretty good. If both Eller and Schultz turn into capable NHL players, then the trade will have been a good one.

68. krob1000 says:

Didn’t work out too poorly for the Celtics with Pierce, Garnett and Allen…or way back when with Mchale, Bird and Parrish.  The Bulls had Jordan, Pippen and Rodman, the Lakers had Magic, Kareem and Worthy ….even the Lakers this year had Kobe, Gasol and Odom (maybe not a superstar but a guy who could be a 20 point man on a team that needed to use more).  The Kobe/Shaq lakers had Horry.  I would say in basketball you need at least three options or three guys who excel at their positions and two who are not liabilities. You can put those guys where you wish but I still think you need three.

69. DD says:

Hey Chuck, as I watched them last night, I wondered if you had made your way down to Ottawa. Lesh was fun to listen to. His playing is so melodic, you can tell he was a trumpet player early in his career. The kid doing Jerry’s parts was fantastic. He looked, played and sounded like a 30 year old Garcia. 30 minute jams were the order of the night, with a fabulous version of Howlin Wolf’s Smoke Stake Lightnin’. No need to practice ‘intro’s’ and ‘endings’, just go with the flow. Three hours of fun, I’m sorry you’re going to miss out on the NY show.

70. Clay4bc says:

i’m confused…who insulted you?

I was talking about the Habs management, not you…relax.

*edit*..although, in retrospect, and totally regardless of this thread, I may indeed be a real a$$!

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

71. andrewberkshire says:

I think it’s more likely we get Price signed to a lower paying, short term deal.

72. ZepFan2 says:

Dude, you’re a real a$$. You want insults? No problem.

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

73. Mark C says:

Unless Price is willing to hold out, just how much extra leverage does he have because he’s clearly the best goalie on the roster. I understand it looks like Price has a great position of power, but unless he is willing to hold out until is number is met his end game is unchanged and management still has the upper hand. The market price has been set, it really should not matter much if Montreal has a weak plan B.