Live tonight on RDS!

In a one-hour special, Maxim Lapierre announces where he’ll be playing this season.

Informed sources say the choice has been narrowed to Montreal or Montreal.

• Hockey’s Future assesses the Canadiens’ draft (shout-out to SeriousFan09)

• Matthias Brunet on draft-day screw-ups

• In Pat Hickey’s column, Paul Kelly defends college hockey

• A Jarred Tinordi feature at

• Four Habs Fans has home video from camp

Kovalchuk komedy kontinues

Down Goes Brown summer reruns

Glen Sather orders a pizza

• A must-read: Homophobia and Discrimination in Hockey

1. ZepFan2 says:

I missed a few inserts before I posted. It was supposed to include a; LMAO and a ;).

I’m not the fastest or best typist. I was typing it out and the phone was ringing and I rushed the friggin’ thing.

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

2. twocents says:

Listen to Andrew.*

*on this he sounds like me ;o)

3. Bob Barker says:

There is no logic in letting Price walk in a season after trading away Halak. Your friend’s theory doesn’t make any sense.

If I understand this correctly, some people wanted to try to sign Price at a backup’s salary then trade Halak and then the Habs would have their starter at a backup salary. Seems a bit sleazy to me. Probably not the best way to retain players.

Regardless of what you believe, management obviously thinks Price is the long-term solution in net, that’s why they will pay him a reasonable salary for a young starting goaltender.

As well, Gauthier obviously values depth at forward and defense more than having two starting goaltenders. I thought Halak would be able to yield a more established young player than Eller but the kid is supposed to be pretty good. If both Eller and Schultz turn into capable NHL players, then the trade will have been a good one.

4. krob1000 says:

Didn’t work out too poorly for the Celtics with Pierce, Garnett and Allen…or way back when with Mchale, Bird and Parrish.  The Bulls had Jordan, Pippen and Rodman, the Lakers had Magic, Kareem and Worthy ….even the Lakers this year had Kobe, Gasol and Odom (maybe not a superstar but a guy who could be a 20 point man on a team that needed to use more).  The Kobe/Shaq lakers had Horry.  I would say in basketball you need at least three options or three guys who excel at their positions and two who are not liabilities. You can put those guys where you wish but I still think you need three.

5. DD says:

Hey Chuck, as I watched them last night, I wondered if you had made your way down to Ottawa. Lesh was fun to listen to. His playing is so melodic, you can tell he was a trumpet player early in his career. The kid doing Jerry’s parts was fantastic. He looked, played and sounded like a 30 year old Garcia. 30 minute jams were the order of the night, with a fabulous version of Howlin Wolf’s Smoke Stake Lightnin’. No need to practice ‘intro’s’ and ‘endings’, just go with the flow. Three hours of fun, I’m sorry you’re going to miss out on the NY show.

6. Clay4bc says:

i’m confused…who insulted you?

I was talking about the Habs management, not you…relax.

*edit*..although, in retrospect, and totally regardless of this thread, I may indeed be a real a$$!

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

7. andrewberkshire says:

I think it’s more likely we get Price signed to a lower paying, short term deal.

8. ZepFan2 says:

Dude, you’re a real a$$. You want insults? No problem.

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

9. Mark C says:

Unless Price is willing to hold out, just how much extra leverage does he have because he’s clearly the best goalie on the roster. I understand it looks like Price has a great position of power, but unless he is willing to hold out until is number is met his end game is unchanged and management still has the upper hand. The market price has been set, it really should not matter much if Montreal has a weak plan B.

10. Natrous says:

SD – perhaps you don’t know your poop (just kidding, sort of)

If Price signs a deal for 3 years, he’s not a UFA, he’s an RFA with arbitration eligibility. Why? Because a player cannot become a UFA until either attained age 27 or 7 years in the league. Price will be 25 and will have played 6 years in the league.

I think he’ll sign for 3 years and something slightly less than $10M, which would put our goaltending expense at a very manageable cap hit of ~$4M

11. SmartDog says:

Okay then, I’d like to change my answer Alex to:

What is 4 years and 12.75 million dollars?

What is about 1 million/year more than the Habs could’ve had Price for?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

12. Clay4bc says:

And that kind of attitude is why we all “love” you, Priceberg.

We invited him – he didn’t beg to come. Now crawl back into your hole and try to reflect on why you are wrong.

13. Mark C says:

First, I don’t believe the goalie situation has anything at all to do with AK46. However, under your idea of moving him for picks, and keeping both goalies, there are two big issues. Do you really believe both goalies sign in Montreal for another season like this past one? If the plan was to keep both, I think there would have been a great risk in Halak going to the KHL for a season or the Twittering Agent demanding a trade. Leading to likely getting nothing in return or a diminished return relative to what Montreal ended up with.  Also, if you kept both goalies how do you replace AK46?

I would have been all for keeping them both, but it just wasn’t in the cards.

14. andrewberkshire says:

Price won’t be a UFA in 3 years, it’s 4 years.

15. Storm Man says:

Mike dont forget that 3 superstar egos fighting over one ball does not make a team a winner, How many times has the dream team crashed and burned?

16. Curtoph says:

Carey Price is still in B.C wihtout a cell phone! He’s probably white water rafting or something :p

17. Clay4bc says:

Dude…it’s a business. We can’t all smoke weed and listen to “Bring It On Home” all day – no matter how much we want to (I’m a huge Zep fan too, BTW)…

People who do things like this need to prepare for such things. When I invite other teachers to Shanghai for a seminar, I make damned sure they have a translator, because I assume they can’t speak Chinese. When the habs invite someone from Russia…well, you know the rest.

18. ed lopaz says:

it is certainly a strange tactic;

somebody I was with last night said that if he didn’t know better he would swear that the habs have

no long term faith in Carey Price, and that they are ready to let him walk after this season.

that, he said, is the only logical explanation why they would not have signed him to at least a 2 or 3 year

How much confidence you figure Jacques Martin has in Price?

The “coach” kept choosing Halak game after game down the stretch and then 18/19 playoff games.

Jacques was keen for his $500,000 bonus he received once the habs made the playoffs (his contract with the

habs is public because it was used in his divorce).

Its a total mess!!

As I stated previously on this site, keep both goalies, keep your strength – don’t trade it away!!

And the money was there to do it – just had to dump a load of crap – which is all AK 46 is likely to be anyway.

19. SmartDog says:

After reading the response to my post below, I’m going to guess he signs for 3 years, 10 million.

A good contract…. for Price and Price’s agent.  Why?  3 years gives job security but he comes out of it a UFA so he’ll be holding the cards AGAIN and the Canadiens will have to dance like monkey’s to keep him.  And they’ll argue that even the just ‘good’ goalies in the league make over 3 millino per year and Price is projected to be better than good.

I’m guessing this is pretty close.  But I’ll shake my head when I see it.  If Gauthier had signed him just before or as he traded Halak he could’ve got him for 2 years around 4 million.   Habs management…. almost like having Glen Sather at the helm!

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

20. Natrous says:

“So then I said, ‘listen buddy, I wouldn’a flipped your grandma’s car if she hadn’a mouthed off like that'”

21. Mr-T says:

Geoff Molson it appears has come to the conclusion that to make the changes to the Canadians that he has envisioned requires him to supercede Boivin as President. Like many Hab fans he has observed the enigmatic transformation in the Canadians that has enamored that sense of distillation of wisdom to succeed Boivin although the proposed date is no more then a metaphor for a timetable much earlier similar to Gaineys situation. Boivin by no means has been a innocent bystander in all of this. He must be held accountable for he can not possibly have been oblivious to the lack of development of the team. You do not let other people make arbitrary decisions on the assumption that they know what they are doing. Next on Molsons list should be the subjective big three Gainey, Gauthier and Martin. There are members on this site who think that other members who verbally attack the above named persons that it is personal against these individuals as human beings or their character structure or as a family man but quite to the contrary it is from a business perspective and this is a  business and you either run it like one or file for chapter eleven. One succeeds or fails by their actions and decision skills there is no middle ground. To judge a person by their achievements is not always easy however if you look at the overall picture of Gaineys tenure as GM/Coach it can only be quantified as unsuccessful and competency becomes a mute issue now. As for Gauthier it may be premature to stipulate to what degree of direction his portfolio will trend towards. But  just only give him enough rope to hang himself. That however could be sooner rather then later as some people dispute the logic behind some of his questionable moves or lack thereof. The question about Martin and this may sound like a paradox, is that it is not about his credentials as a coach but rather is he the right one for the Canadians. A coach has to make sound rational decisions and deploy a system that gets the most productivity from his players and that he employes those assets within the concept of the team and that the potential of any player is not constrained by the system so in other words you can not be rigid as a coach to your style and the system you employ otherwise it tends to be a recipe for disaster. Is Martin the catalyst behind this concept or someone just lost in a crowd. History has proved here that it has not always wise to hire a former Canadian player as GM and/or Coach. Maybe it is time to think outside of the box and towards a younger generation. Out with the old in with the young something to think about. Stay the course Mr Molson.

22. Clay4bc says:

Some would say that doing so would make you a “bandwaggoner”…

Not me – but some…

23. ZepFan2 says:

Unforgivable, really?

The end is always near with you, eh. lol

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

24. ZepFan2 says:

That’s funny. Some posters here would argue that that’s exactly what Price’s agent should be doing. Looking out for his client.

When I posted how scummy Alan Walsh really is. I was given the response above.

So which is it? Is Price’s agent a scumbag or is he like Walsh, just looking out for his client?

As far as “holding out” is concerned. Walsh has Price’s agent beat on that front!

“As shown in the Gaborik case, he’s ok with lengthy holdouts.”

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

25. Clay4bc says:

Well Bob Barker…if we are a better team, and I do eat my words, at least they will taste sweet, because I am a Habs fan. Those who wished Halak gone, well…as for them, if they were wrong, their words will taste bitter indeed – because they are also habs fans, and that would mean our team sucks.

BTW – I loved you in that movie!

26. Bob Barker says:

Fischer is definitely the worst pick made by Timmins. I wonder what the Habs first round picks would have been if they followed central scouting exactly over the past few first rounds?

27. mike g says:

Accoring to ESPN, barring a last minute change of heart, Lebron James will be joining CB4 and D-Wade in Miami.

I know this is a hockey site, and a small minority follow basketball. I don’t follow it, but if that happens…

I’ll buy a jersey of the Heat. That will be one insane team.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

28. TripleX says:

What kind of GM GIVES a player negotiating power when he previously had NONE?

Trade away the other goalie and sign a career backup BEFORE having the starter locked up.  Scratches head!

Greatness is earned not rewarded……

29. Clay4bc says:

…and for those of us who are linguistically challenged…

striker Alexander Avtsin looks a bit lost at present through the 22
    hopefuls. Avtsin is still unable to communicate with teammates and
    coaches. And as the only Russian player to this development camp, nobody
    able to help. The Canadiens will try to find a translator for the next few
    days … “

Yeah…anyone else want to tell me how good our management team is? This is unforgivable…

30. twocents says:

Cause it’s usually good to have players earn their contracts with their play, at the NHL level.

Young guys who have signed the long term second contracts are usually players who have proven a high level of play during their entry level years and usually for more than one season. Even then many sign a shorter second contract before signing to the big commit. It’s fairly common practice, with notable exceptions for exceptional performances.

Did Boston sign Rask long term last year, just because he’s the team’s future?

This isn’t Sidney Crosby we are talking about.

31. Bob Barker says:

I think you’ll be eating your words once the season starts. If not, the Habs will most definitely be a lottery team.

32. ed lopaz says:

claude grioux was no ‘hidden gem” either.

every french speaking hockey journalist in this city was writing about how the habs should take Giroux

habs took…..wait for it….David Fisher.

its better not to think about these things,

33. RGM says:

UFA status hits at age 27, so five years down the road. Any deal under five years will make Carey an RFA with arbitration rights, while 5 or more years makes him UFA at the end of it.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

34. SLONCOLD says:

4 years 13M deal. so that’s 3.25 a year. i’ve been saying this for a few months.

It is important to evaluate players properly and their potential. i don’t have a problem paying a 60 game starter 3M.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

From, if true this is staggering incompetence:

“L’attaquant russe Alexander Avtsin a l’air un peu perdu à travers les
    22 espoirs présents. Avtsin est encore incapable de communiquer avec ses
    coéquipiers et les entraîneurs. Et comme il est le seul joueur russe
    présent à ce camp de perfectionnement, personne n’est en mesure de
    l’aider. Le Canadien tente de dénicher un traducteur pour les prochains

36. ed lopaz says:

Price will sign – if the negotiations go sour, he will sign for 1 year.

if it goes well, he will sign for 3 or 4 years.

that’s the power that has been given to him by trading Halak.

the only power the Habs have over him is that they can FORCE a 1 year deal.

If I’m Price, I sign for 1 year maximum, and I go out there and WIN SOME FREAKING HOCKEY GAMES!!!

Then i come back next summer, and I say, now I deserve real money.

37. Bob Barker says:

If Kari Lehtonen is getting 3.55, I doubt Price will be getting less than 2.75-3.

38. Clay4bc says:

They need their increasingly hysterical justifications to rationalize giving away Halak…I think they are beginning to realise the truth – that we have one goalie right now, and his name is Alex Auld.

39. The Teacher says:

Bite your tongue lol.

40. TripleX says:

Exactly.  Gainey as usual was unable to make an executive decision and gave Pleks a one year deal which in the end cost the franchise.

I contend a GM’s primary job is asset management, which is to identify core players.  Anyone can sign players AFTER they have breakout seasons, the key is to lock them up when they are cheap.

Greatness is earned not rewarded……

41. Clay4bc says:

Ah, the memories your post conjures up…I son’t know whether to smile or punch someone…

42. HabFanSince72 says:

Re: draft day screw-ups I’ve always thought that it was unfair to re-visitdraft selections with hindsight.

However in 2007 we chose Pacioretty and Fischer ahead of David Perron, but Perron was not a hidden gem. He was ranked ahead of both of those players by central scouting.…/2007final/07_final_naskaters_num.pdf

On the other hand, we also drafted PK in 2007.

43. ed lopaz says:

Exactly – its Tinordi who compared himself to Pronger “affectionately”.

L’ancien du programme de développement américain dit affectionner le style de jeu de Chris Pronger et compare son travail à celui du joueur étoile.

« J’aime jouer physiquement », explique Tinordi. « Je ne cède pas beaucoup d’espace devant le but et dans les coins. « Je fais également une bonne première passe. »

44. Clay4bc says:

I hear you, Ed…I want to win too. If the habs are going to have any chance to do that, then they’d better get off of their butts and sign Price (or any goalie) soon, because Auld is not the answer, no matter how awesome his baldness may be.

45. Slovak says:

Sorry but your post is too long for nothing.

In my previous post I just said that – the same way you support the management I can disagree with them. As you don’t wait with your optimism till the season begin I don’t have to wait with my disagreements… And it is on the same level.

So what are we talking about? I know you want to be right, maybe you are, but current behavior of HABS is telling me (personally) you are wrong. That is all.

46. SLONCOLD says:

if he is the teams future in nets, why sign a long term deal at anythign under 3?

47. TripleX says:

Halak said on Team990 just yesterday that he would have accepted the same deal as he got in St. Louis in Montreal.  In other words a 3.75 million dollar cap hit.

Greatness is earned not rewarded……

48. kool-aid says:

everybody sit back, relax, have a sip

49. TripleX says:

Why can Team990 get a hold of Halak in Slovakia and Price seems like he fell off the face of the Earth?

If I was a journalist on HIO I would think getting an interview with Price would be awesome.  In fact an interview with ANY current roster player would be interesting, to get their input on the directions the team is taking.

Greatness is earned not rewarded……

50. ed lopaz says:

what’s the difference if Price is making 1.5; 2.0; 2.5; or 3.0 million?

The only difference is how much gets deposited into Price’s bank account.

The cap was raised by 2 million by the NHLPA – that money covered the raise we gave to Plekanec

Instead of dealing AK 46 for draft picks, (that;s 3 million), the habs chose to keep him.

Instead of investing 6 million in having THE BEST GOALTENDING DUO IN THE NHL,

the Habs chose to keep AK 46 and “hope” that he will re-emerge as a real NHL player.

That was their choice – 2 young, consistent, and at times fantastic goalies, or

AK 46 in all his glory.

I would have taken my lumps, traded AK 46 for a couple of draft picks, and KEPT MY GOALTENDING.

But, now that its done, i don’t really care how much price gets paid.

All I care about is winning.

I said that last year, when we started winning with Halak in the net – I said, ALL I CARE ABOUT IN WINNING.

I will say it this year with Price in the net – ALL THAT COUNTS IS WINNING!!

51. Say Ash says:

“OK, kids. Today we’re going to practice the Lappy Hat Trick: A goal, a dive and a turtle.”

52. Clay4bc says:

I bet we could have locked Pleks up for 5 years at $3 mil/per if we did it last season…

53. WarHero says:

Last year as an RFA to the Rangers, he’ll neve make it anyway, he’s way to small.

54. TripleX says:

I like Burke but they hardly need another average defenseman.

Having the defense take up nearly 28 million of cap space is a strange decision.

Greatness is earned not rewarded……

55. Clay4bc says:

He’s a little young to retire…that would be a surprise.

56. cautiousoptimist says:

I’d love to see Gauthier make a play for Willie Mitchell — big, strong, reliable defensive defenceman who earned $3.5M last year, and who the Canucks just can’t afford and don’t need with their stellar D.  If we can pick him up and deal Hamrlik for a pick and a prospect, I’ll be thrilled.  And we’ll have a bit more cap space.

1. – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  57. Clay4bc says:

You’re preaching to the choir…

Local reports that Maxim Lapierre might announce his retirement to peruse coaching career. This is coming from one person. Not sure if he is smoking funny stuff or not. Any news on this in town there??

59. TripleX says:

Does not really explain the one year deals.  Why would any franchise decide to purposely use up MORE cap space in the following years?

This management team has consistently failed to identify roster players and proceed to lock them up long term at reasonable cap hits.  They procrastinate until they are left with two options, let the player walk for nothing or sign to inflated deals.

To have a process where players are signed only after having good seasons is a recipe for cap disaster.

ps I agree about Pyatt deserving a raise….wonder how he feels about Pouliot getting a 500,000 dollar raise

Greatness is earned not rewarded……

60. twocents says:

On a one year contract I think the number would be lower. Something like 1.7. If he signs multi-year it goes up as he potentially commits years where he may have more negotiation leverage.

I would like to see a 2 year deal at 1.8 million. 1.7 this year. 1.9 next.

If he goes 4 years, I suspect your 2.25 is a reasonable target.

Where it gets tricky is if he goes more than 4. Here he would be giving up UFA years. Under that circumstance I find it hard to predict. Will the security be more heavily valued or the loss of autonomy?

61. mike g says:

Someone on HIO a few days ago posted something very intelligent…

He figured out how much Halak will actually earn from his salary, after taxes and stuff. Then he compared how much of Halak’s current contract would be taxed here in Quebec, due to the higher tax rates of course…

It’s estimated that for Halak to bring home the same amount of money after taxes, his 4 year 15 million$ deal in STL would have had to be a 4 year 19 million$ deal here in MTL…

That’s 4.75 mill per year for Jaro. Kind of a steep pricetag if you ask me.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

62. SlovakHab says:

I think so. And after leading the Leafs to another Cup in 2011, he won’t be able to hear me completely.

63. HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness to RDS, it is Tinordi  who compared himself to Pronger.

64. Slovak says:

Ok I must say that is good. But anyway I still think management is not helping – according to history HABS deserve to be one step higher – and I see no decision from current management in order to get higher…

65. SlovakHab says:

I have been Habs fan for years. Have seen some bad teams and the improvement made over the years. Last season was successful because the management has done some good judgement and improved the team further.

Now, you are very bitter that we didn’t keep Jaro Halak and didn’t sign him for the future. You keep coming back and back, criticizing the management all the time. As if you would do better as a Habs GM.

I am glad Jaro got a good contract and will certainly improve the Blues. But I have seen many young goalies shine and then later fail. We are also yet to see what the small equipment, 60-game schedule and a pressure that comes with being a clear no.1 goalie does to him.

“Don’t blindly support anyone’s mistake” is a BS. Because we don’t know if trading Halak was a mistake (it is clear that this is your main complaint). If it was, then all of us will be disappointed and will have a point to criticize. But will never look like idiots for trusting people with experience for doing a ballsy decision.

Those who criticize others without seeing the results have always been, and always will be <strike>idiots</strike> fools in my eyes. Especially if they have no experience, no clue on salary cap and other things going on in the dressing room + agent behaviour, no track record of a successful career in hockey and are only driven by their national feelings when it comes to the NHL.

66. Clay4bc says:

It’s funny that the Price crew here railed so much on Jaro’s agent…but look who’s signed, and for quite a reasonable rate too! Now who in the heck is Price’s agent? Isn’t it time for people to start calling him out for the greedy POS he is? Why are the negotiations taking so long? How much money does Price realistically think he’s worth? I say $1.5 million tops. When will he sign? Is he going to hold out for the season to get more money? This is turning into a bad joke. A back-up goalie  (Price) holding out for more money…just let him walk and sign someone else then.

67. HabFanSince72 says:

Locke is a career AHLer.

68. The Teacher says:

The smart ones would be at University at the same time. However, not all of them are smart. Are they getting the proper advice from people around them and the organization they play for? I don’t know the answer to that.

all things equal, is playing CHL and getting a degree > playing University hockey and getting a degree with regards to a prospective NHL career?

I would say yes!

69. TripleX says:

From Wikipedia:

In the 2007–08 season, Corey played his fourth consecutive season with the Bulldogs. Scoring at almost a point-per game average with Hamilton, Locke finally made his NHL debut, playing 1 game with Montreal on January 8, 2008.[1] On July 11, 2008, Locke was traded by the Canadiens to theMinnesota Wild for Shawn Belle.[2] Unable to make the Wild’s opening night roster for the 2008–09 season, he was re-assigned to the Houston Aeros, leading the team to the West Conference finals with 23 points

Greatness is earned not rewarded……

70. mike g says:

Summer 2010, one to remember for many reasons…..

-The Blackhawks win the Cup, and then blow up their team.

-Ilya Kovalchuk signed his 10 year 100 billion$ deal in August, with the Ducks, after they agreed to pay him in gifts like 140 boats, 72 Ferrari’s, a house in each State (including Alaska), and the star role in a 2-hour TV special called ” How to go from dirt poor to owning more money than all of Canada put together”. And btw, they figured out a way to make his cap hit a mere 1.2 million.

-Lebron James shocked the world live on ESPN on July 8th. He announced he was signing a 45 year deal with the Vancouver Grizzlies. That’s right, they came back to the NBA. Steve Nash finished his career there, and the Grizzlies along with Lebron, met Bosh+Wade and the Heat for 7 straight years in the finals. Lebron’s deal was worth 178 million dollars, and included full ownership of the franchise once he retired.

-RDS on July 8th: “Tinordi, un futur Chris Pronger?” When are those dummies ever gonna learn that it’s dumb articles and pressure that kill the Habs’ prospects? I can say so many more negative things about that article, but nevermind…

– Finally, Holy crap is f’kin hot here in MTL. My girlfriends pool was 100 degrees yesterday. We cooked pasta and corn in it.

Anyways, those are just a few things about this summer…Still 2 months to go!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

71. The Teacher says:

And you ignored the main tenet of the article. Did Fischer obtain a DEGREE and therefore can move forward in his life without hockey, if need be?

72. twocents says:

Shawn Belle. 2 summers ago.

Locke has since been with 2 other organizations. The Senators are his forth.

73. The Teacher says:

I think he is feeling disheartened by the fact that there are not more than 2-3 teams bidding for his services. Welcome to a Cap-cap world.

74. Clay4bc says:

Knowing our recent history of getting nothing in return for assets, we likely just let him go…not that I missed him or anything – I didn’t even notice he was gone –  but it fits with the trend.

75. WarHero says:

The CAP is the reson for most of the 1 years. Since we’ll have more cap next year we’ll be able to reward players like Tom Pyatt who actually had to take a decrease this year eventhought he did not deserve it.