Live tonight on RDS!

In a one-hour special, Maxim Lapierre announces where he’ll be playing this season.

Informed sources say the choice has been narrowed to Montreal or Montreal.

• Hockey’s Future assesses the Canadiens’ draft (shout-out to SeriousFan09)

• Matthias Brunet on draft-day screw-ups

• In Pat Hickey’s column, Paul Kelly defends college hockey

• A Jarred Tinordi feature at ruefrontenac.com

• Four Habs Fans has home video from camp

Kovalchuk komedy kontinues

Down Goes Brown summer reruns

Glen Sather orders a pizza

• A must-read: Homophobia and Discrimination in Hockey

1. The Teacher says:

When I head about the proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Club of America, I wasn’t bothered anymore. Does it mean I will watch, nahhhhhh.

2. Rugger says:

How many more years till Carey changes from RFA to UFA?  Hopefully new contract would end when he is still RFA (even with arbitration) to make it somewhat more likely he will then be signed long term.

3. The Teacher says:

I think his Stanley Cup ring might be blocking one of his ears so he probably didn’t hear you :)

4. The Teacher says:

Personal opinion- Who cares!

5. Chuck says:

I passed up an opportunity to head up to Ottawa to see them last night, since I thought that I had tickets for tonight. Then a call from my friend this morning saying that he forgot to order them… now everything is sold out.  :(

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

6. HFX-HabFan says:

I’m a tad bored, so I went and looked it up.  Montreal is one of only 8 teams in the league to make it past the first round 3 or more times in the last 6 years.  Of those other 7, only Detroit and San Jose have done it more than three times:

Montreal (04,08,10), Pittsburgh (08,09,10), Philadelphia (04,08,10),  in the East

Detroit (04,07,08,09,10), San Jose (04,06,07,08,10), Vancouver (07,09,10), Anaheim (06,07,09) and Colorado (04,06,08) in the West

7. The Teacher says:

I agree this trend of giving one-year contracts is not impressing me. I also agree that giving Price more than 2.25 million would be giving too much. We have shown faith in him(management) and he should reward us with a 4-year 8-9 million dollar deal.

Keep in mind, if he gets more than that, I won’t hate PRICE for it and slag him incessantly. I will not be very appreciative of management if they are not wise with their money.

8. SmartDog says:

The Sens just signed Corey Locke to a 2-year 2-way contract.  When did we lose Locke and for what/who?  I forget.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

9. Rugger says:

Just downloaded the Lowell, MA show from last week (3 miles from home but couldn’t go).  The vocalist they added sounds eerily like Jerry.

10. Rugger says:

In isolation, agreed, great addition.  Now what to do with the other 9 D-men under contract for $20M+.  Kaberle will eventually be gone but still too many.

11. SlovakHab says:

5’9, 195 lbs.. I think of Marc-Andre Bergeron without the shot.

12. Chuck says:

Way off topic, but does anyone have an extra ticket for the Furthur show tonight at Artpark in Lewiston, NY?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

13. Slovak says:

ok I take that – half times of last 6 seasons to go through first round is good enough.

14. SmartDog says:

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH FOR PRICE?

Jaro signed for 3.75 million…. and we keep hearing that he would’ve been a LOT more than Price.  But for me, the way Gauhtier has played this Price is going to get some ridiculous and undeserved amount of money.   Anything over 2.25 million is too much for Price and un-earned.  But I’m guesssing he gets 3 million for 3-4 years. Which is too much, but Gauthier’s given his agent all the cards.

And I HOPE it’s not a 1-year contract (like Gauthier’s done for other players) which is like the teacher telling you which day the test will be on, and by the way, what questions are on it. This 1-year stuff is like giving players a do-over until they have ONE really good year they can hang an inflated contract on. It’s stupid.

PS: The Glen Sather orders a Pizza thing is good for a chuckle… at least we’re not THAT bad.  Well… let’s not go there.

——–
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

15. Slovak says:

ok if you compare good and bad trades, where you got more names?

93 seems to be the “latest positive date” except the previous season, is it right?

16. HabFanSince72 says:

DGB is occasionally funny, but when he tries to make fun of the Habs he gets a bit strident.

17. SuperStarz says:

aww crap that means i’m going to miss the king james live special where he’s telling everyone he’s going to the heat

18. WarHero says:

Some of you may not like this but I got to give Brian Burke some props for signing Brett Lebda. A very underrated former Wings D-Man.

————————————————————————

19. HFX-HabFan says:

In the last 6 seasons, they made the playoffs 5 times.  Of those 5 times, they made it to at least the second round 3 times.  Again, only a handful of teams could say the same thing.  You’d be surprised.

20. Slovak says:

for me PLAYOFF TEAM means to go further than first round… it means they can really compete with playoff teams – not just being easy shot for others. How many times in last 6 seasons HABS did go to at least 2nd round?

21. Clay4bc says:

I actually read an article yesterday that said Lebron approached them…someone posted the link here

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

22. HFX-HabFan says:

Curiousity got the best of me so I looked it up.  Larouche was traded in the ’81-’82 season to the Whalers for picks, one of which was Petr Svoboda, a name you should be familiar with.  Svoboda was a reliable defenseman for us for years, including a Cup win in ’86.  He then went to Buffalo for Kevin Haller, who was a reliable defender on our Cup-winning team in ’93.  I’d say we won the Larouche trade- our team did far better than Hartford in the years immediately after/all the time, and our return was far better than theirs was.

Side note- Larouche was the first player to score 50 goals in a season with two different teams.  We dealt him away and easily won the trade.

23. HFX-HabFan says:

They’ve made the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons, that’s fairly regular I’d say.  Only a handful of other teams could say the same thing.

Remember Pierre Larouche?  Dude was a pure sniper, a 50 goal scorer who played in Montreal in the late ’70s and early ’80s.  He won a couple of Cups with the Habs.  We dealt him away to Hartford in like ’82 for prospects/picks (sound familiar?).  Montreal won their divison multiple times and was a perennial playoff team for the rest of the decade (including a Cup in ’86 and a Cup final in ’89), and Hartford was always a mediocre playoff bubble team.

24. KGB_AKA4787 says:

What if Crosby or Ovechkin was to make a announcment on RDS tonight that he was going to sign with the Habs, would you watch it, not for nothing but I think all of Quebec would be tuned in.

Where does Miami heat have the balls to sign Bosh, Wade, and Lebron

no Guts no Glory

Go Habs Go

25. arcosenate says:

While I am sure the immense amount of money that will somehow trickle down to the boys and girls club of America will no doubt benefit tens of people, it’s a waste of time.

26. Bill H says:

Hey, I hear ya!  Thank god we have found the true meaning of life – posting on a hockey blog in mid July.  LOL

27. Garry Bettman says:

“Maxim Lapierre announces where he’ll be playing this season.

Informed sources say the choice has been narrowed to Montreal or Montreal.”

HAHAHA!

Thats what YOU think! But there will be no Montreal! Only Kansas City!

The United States are an unserved market, you know!

28. Habsrule1 says:

To be honest, somewhat, yes.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

29. pic1983 says:

Essentially its an hour long interview with lebron james, and I read that the proceeds from advertising are going to the boys and girls club of america.  As full of himself as he is, Lebron definitely does his part for the community.

Also, I dont think lebron approached ESPN and asked them to do a one hour special, it seems more like something ESPN would ask of lebron because its a slow time for sports right now.

30. Slovak says:

Great owner or manager would make it somehow to keep him close…

What about other MANY great players that HABS let go while keep saying the team will do better without them? Never happened, am I right?

We can debate this thing for hours but I BELIEVE HABS SHOULD BE REGULAR PALYOFF TEAM

are they? If not why?

31. Mr. Biter says:

That’s why the Habs first round pick this year should stay at Harvard and get his degree. See Dave Fischer our pick from 2006. Maybe things would have been different if he would have played Junior but drafting is allways a crap shoot so sometimes you never know what you get 3-4 years later. In regards to Fischer I checked his Stats and they decreased each year he played for the Gophers.

32. ed lopaz says:

I agree with you. I have been a Habs fan for many, many years – and it will never stop.

But when I see certain things happen, I get really pissed – that’s my nature.

I am not the guy who says – “oh, well. maybe if we keep “building”, by 2013, we will compete”.

No. I am not that guy.

33. SensFanSpezza says:

They actually do that where I live.  During the winter, kids have their gym periods on the rink which is right across the street from the school.

34. Slovak says:

Don’t blindly support anyone’s mistake.

If it turns out to be real mistake and it starts to hurt, you might end up looking like <strike>an idiot</strike> a fool.

If you only see the whole donut with the hole – it would be better world out there… try it :-)

35. SlovakHab says:

FHF have some footage from the Habs development camp.

36. Rugger says:

They let him go because Martin had just brought the Habs to there best play-off success in 17 years in his first year under contract so you do not then fire him, so options were to offer asst coach position which he turned down, refuse to let him out of his contract which would be both unfair to Boucher and send a bad message to anyone the habs try to hire for future coaching positions or let him walk.  There is a lot of talk about how uncaring the Habs management is, letting Boucher persue an NHL head coaching spot was the right thing to do for Boucher.

37. arcosenate says:

Have people’s lives become that empty that an hour long television show on where some douchebag athelete chooses to play and get paid $5 trillion dollars for it somehow fills the void?  I mean, when the people who actually watch this utter tripe are on their deathbeds however many years from now, won’t they have the sense of regret to admit to themselves that just maybe they would like to get that hour back and use it for something a little more worthwhile?

The end really is near.

Probably just as well judging by this.

38. pic1983 says:

Not really.  Carey price is a competitor.  He also understands dollars and cents.  Hes year older, a year more mature, and I think a good half-season of riding the bench taught him a few lessons.  I’m sure he comes in fired up this year and performs admirably.  If the players in front of him can give him some goal support, hes going to win a lot of games also.

39. Slovak says:

I understand that, but on this site it sometimes seems like everythings is fine no matter what…there is always something possitive on any mistake that HABS management does.

But in the end it is great to be a fan – blind or open eyes, thinking or not thinking, more educated less educated, doubter or believer…the problem is they don’t listen to each other…

However I believe that the “general fan mind” is more close to get pissed off than to say again and again and again “Yupie maybe next year we will be better”

It is great to hear that something is happening… because fans have the ultimate power – the game is all about them, you and me.

40. SLONCOLD says:

ya well we barely made the playoffs last year and made one heck of a playoff run with the help of a hot goalie.

bigger, stronger, more potential, past success… big deal and who cares because the nhl is all about what have you done for me lately.

if the habs continue to have scoring problems (2.64goals/game) price will have to be 2.64 or better for the team to be a 500 team… and if he has a 2.77gaa with a high save percentage we will miss the playoffs. our defense is getting up there is age as well and won’t be blocking shots liek they did in the playoffs…

41. SlovakHab says:

Don’t criticize anyone’s work before you see the actual results.

If they succeed, you might end up looking like a fool.

42. Bill H says:

From the article on Kovalchuk:

Several sources familiar with the situation but not authorized to talk
    publicly said Kovalchuk hasn’t compromised on an average annual value of
    $10 million, close to the NHL-leading $9.538-million average
    Washington’s Alexander Ovechkin earns in a 13-year deal.

The Kings say they can’t accommodate Kovalchuk, retain their core and
    bring in the support players necessary to become a consistent Stanley
    Cup contender.

Good on LA Kings for not getting seduced by the obvious but short term advantage of signing a big star UFA.  They are a young club building for the future. Signing Kovalchuk now at the expense of one of their drafted stars in a year or two makes no sense at all.

That’s not a knock on Kovalchuk.  He’s smart to shop around for the best deal.  He wants long term and he wants the big bucks that a perenial 40 goal scorer can command.  He prefers the NHL over KHL, and he doesn’t want to spend the rest of his career playing in an empty rink like Atlanta.  He would be stupid to do anything less than what he is doing right now.

43. Slovak says:

Someone with heart, skills, balls and energy – is it possible?

Example:

Coach like they got in Detroit and manager like they got in Detroit.

Pardon me, why did they let Boucher go? Is it the same reason for Halak, for Koivu, for Kovalev, for…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

……………………………………………………………. What is the reason? Money or Cap space or space ship one or deep space Start trek new series?

:-)

44. JIMVINNY says:

The pressure is there.  Point finale.  Being nervous about it is going to help anything.

45. ed lopaz says:

as I said, indestructible fans are GREAT FANS – I have no problem with your attitude; its commendable.

but you should know that the “local” fans are quite puzzled and frustrated.

for example, as I mentioned far below on the page, Price and AK 46 are on the “bubble” – as far as I see it.

I’ve seen that “bubble” burst, and it isn’t pretty.

Should Price and AK 46 do well, than, in typical Montreal hockey tradition, the fans will roar with their approval.

Should Price or AK 46 falter, well, I’ve seen Robinson and Lafleur get booed, and Price and AK 46 are no

Robinsons or Lafleurs, thats for darn sure.

I was just trying to explain to Slavak the dynamics of his “indestructible” fans theory.

46. SLONCOLD says:

“Price because he is younger, bigger, stronger, and cheaper.”

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. you’re not at all nervous about all the pressure being put on price?

47. krob1000 says:

I agree that these problems occur much younger and by the time the kid is 16 years old…..it is pretty obvious in most cases who is college/university material and who is not.  Minor sports and life in general with most families having two working parents and the chaos of everyday life make schooling and early learning a challenge but it is doable.  The elite level athlete even at early ages have to learn to balance (in reality it is their parents who need to do this as kids are kids).  I wish there were more programs available where athletes at a youunger age could get their ice time in during the day at school and learn they have to go hand in hand.  That would be ideal but funding limitations make it impossible and programs like that are only accessible if you have the big dollars to send a kid to a Hockey Factory like St Mary’s (Crosby, Parise, Toews,etc).  I know there is a similar program for baseball in Quebec somewhere that has produced several major leaguers over recent years.

Athletics should be tied more to schooling during the day so that when the day is done kids can be kids and as you said not driving 2 hours each way to play 10 minutes of game time.  Outdoor rink seasons are getting shorter every year and the most criminal thing fo all is that most rinks go unused during the day yet for “prime time” there is almost always an ice shortage everywhere you go……millions spent on these arenas by taxpayers and they sit vacant all day …… schoool should tap into this hardcore but they don’t.  I know I would have been far motivated to excel academically if it was linked tighter to sports.

48. Habsrule1 says:

Ed, I lived in Montreal for the first 30 years of my life, and probably speak better French than you, and still have lots of family there and go back often (I’m just down the road before Ottawa).

All you are doing is stating that the average Habs fan gets upset for nothing, and you’re right. the fact is most of these same fans were upset at all the changes last year as well, and voiced their displeasure. Many of them were really upset to see Kovalev go, but I tend to think the Habs management knew better.

I have no problem with any fan questioning the Habs’ moves, but that’s different from constantly bashing the Habs’ management because they are doing things differently than the average fan would. I personally see no logic in b!tching before we even see this team play a few games.

Read my signature….says it all.

Go Habs Go!!

49. Rugger says:

who do you suggest?

50. derfab says:

If these kids were training and playing during the day at school, they would not spend all of their evenings weekends and vacation time being driven from one arena to another, would learn to read, would have time to study and do homework, and could, in the majority of cases, go to a college and continue to play competitive hockey. Minor hockey is, presently, a wasteland, and one reason why most of our kids prefer to chill elsewhere.

character is derfab destiny.

51. Slovak says:

I am happy they played like a team with one heart but

If HABS got better person at driver’s seat – you don’t have to use terrible words as “wait” , “try” , “will see” after that great season – do you?

How many times in last decade did you say that magic formula: “Wait and see” ???

52. ed lopaz says:

Slovak – the fans who are ‘indestructible” are a few dozen posters on this site.

Many of them do not live in Montreal.

Many of them do not follow the French media, and the “local” Quebec mood towards the habs and habs management.

These “indestructible” fans are GREAT FANS!! – I totally agree; because they not only support the team, they

support each and every move that management makes.

But……

I will tell you, first hand, from Montreal, and representing the French media / francophone Montreal / Quebec

region fans, that many fans – thousands and thousands – are very upset about how this summer has gone.

These fans – and they are the ones who have season tickets, who fill the local bars night after night, are

very suspicious of the logic being used here.

These are also good fans – but they are NOT indestructible; not at all.

That’s the way I see it from here.

53. Habsrule1 says:

They finished in the FINAL FOUR! I know only The Cup matters, but be happy we were better than 26 other teams. You did not think that would happen last summer and you don’t think it’ll happen now, but can we please just wait and see?

I think we’ll finish with 5-10 more points than last season, and by then we should know how likely we are to win a couple rounds again.

By the way, i loved our players last year too, but the point is they are not Habs anymore. I wish them the best, but when they play against the Habs, i’ll be cheering for OUR guys.

54. krob1000 says:

Not necessarily true…I know several players who played junior hockey here with the Frontenacs and had a year of university paid for for each season they played in the OHL.  Many who play here even take classes while they play in their later years…obviously full time is not possible given the heavier schedule demands of the CHL but many take classes and then when they are done many go on to have their university paid for and proceed to play university hockey as well.  Soem hockey palyers are just not cut out for university and that is true of any segment of the population…from my experiences with the guys I have known the guys who are university material….end up going to university ….the ones who are not….do not….the hockey players that are good enough…continue to play hockey.

55. derfab says:

Time to get fully subsidized hockey and paid coaches into the schools. Local programs no longer work because they are too expensive, too time consuming and often run by incompetent people (junior hockey included).

We need to get our best athletes playing our sport at an early age just as we need to give them another reason to show up, learn discipline and navigate through the classroom nonsense they will inevitably be subjected to on a daily basis.

character is derfab destiny.

56. Slovak says:

To take a bite is one of those great creative solutions…

Unfortunatelly HABS management aka money suckers are not creative

They can only thank to GOD they got fans like you guys – indestructible

57. pmaraw says:

i doubt either of them will be the best goalie.  i really hope price pulls it together tho and learn to make saves when the team needs him to.

58. dh says:

I don’t think that it’s insane for “people who say that they are fans” to support the players that worked hard and played with a lot of heart.

I’m not saying that the team is worse (or better) than last year but it seems normal to me that people would support Halak, Moore and Metro.  The same as they supported the players that got cut last year.

I also wonder how a coach can get players to play with that much heart when they see what happens.

59. TommyB says:

In the article from Hickey’s column….Paul Kelly says, “The problem with the CHL is that it talks only about its success stories.  They don’t talk about the youngsters who don’t make it.”  Such a true statement, that is.  In Junior, if you don’t make it a lot of players hit the wall.  After their junior careers are over, and they went undrafted, or they were drafted but didn’t make the cut, many of these players have nothing left to show for all those nights of riding the buses and drinking beer.  For quite a few of them, the only thing that changes is they don’t ride the bus anymore.   At least with the College option, should they find their hockey careers are over,  a player finishes his career with a degree and a future.   I’m not calling this the template for all CHL players, but it does apply to many of them.

60. Puck Bard says:

Do you really want to? A waste of valuable time.

61. Puck Bard says:

Yes, the dominos rested with Metropolit. Without him it all comes crashing down.

We are just as good as we were last year, and just as vulnerable.

62. Rugger says:

I am at work, but it is my home office, so not sure that counts.

63. 123456 says:

wait just a minute – am i the only actively at work habs fan using company resources to post messages??

Only way to live my friend. Say hi to Shawn for me.

65. Habsrule1 says:

First of all, any way to administer a shock to anyone who mentions the blues new goalie?

I have to laugh when I read G-Man saying the goalie and role players who got the Habs to 4th best are gone.

The role players are being replaced with other role players. There was no way to know if the ones we had would do as well this year anyway. It’s not like they all have sparkling careers, hence the term role player. As for the goalie, the Habs are banking on Price because he is younger, bigger, stronger, and cheaper.

It is just insane how people who say they are fans can be negative before the players even hit the ice. I’m not saying to have blind faith, but at least wait. you are all the same people who said all last summer and into the season that the Habs would miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round….4 straight!

Wait until they actually suck to say they suck!

Or you can BELIEVE.

Ian – I golfed the past three days in this heat so today I’m taking it easy and sitting by my pool.  Shawn is taking his boys fishing and then dropping by my place for a beer and a dip in the cement pond.

Going to have to ask a cop for help on this one!

More Fan Summit Information

68. BJ says:

Two ways to look at it Ian. Either the hole appears to expand or the donut is multiplying.

BJ– if you were to cut the donut in half, would the hole disappear?

70. BJ says:

Sorry the above comment should have been a reply at the very start of this blog. Maybe the absolute rises to the top?

71. BJ says:

In terms of absolute consciousness you are both the hole and the donut but primarily the hole in which the donut appears. Take a bite…..

Steve! should be here sitting around my pool here with me, talking Habs, with ice cold drinks in our hands and watching our great looking women paddling around in the water. Only an hour drive!

“#10 – NHL GM’s go online to prepare for the trade deadline
    This one includes a hilarious joke about Jaroslav Halak being traded, even though he’s the Habs best goalie. As if they would ever do that.”

(Down Goes Brown)