Video: Budaj gets call vs Leafs in regular-season finale

budajoverhead

Canadiens will turn to netminder Peter Budaj to face the Toronto Maple Leafs in both teams’ regular-season finale.
François Lacasse, NHLI via Getty Images

Peter Budaj will get the start in goal Saturday night for the Canadiens against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Habs’ final game of the 2012-13 regular season.

Head coach Michel Therrien said Budaj’s start, the goalie’s first in 10 days, is part of the team’s netminding plans. Therrien said he’s very pleased with Carey Price, calling him “our best player” in a noon-hour news conference at Air Canada Centre. But the coach wants both of his goalies ready for the playoffs and Budaj’s start hardly appears to be a rash or last-minute call.

Therrien said that defenceman Jarred Tinordi will be back in the lineup vs. the Maple Leafs. Other than that, Therrien would divulge nothing about his lineup, saying he’d make it public at game time, 7 p.m. ET.

The Habs still have a chance to finish second in the Eastern Conference, which would deny CBC its ratings fantasy of a Montreal-Toronto first-round series. The Boston Bruins, currently seeded second in the Eastern Conference, have two games left to play: tonight in Washington, then back home Sunday against Ottawa in the makeup of the game postponed by the tragic Boston Marathon bombing.

Video: Habs defenceman P.K. Subban after morning skate:

1. habstrinifan says:

Almost game time so I will post my last troll like post.

Walking around in the beautiful sunshine with brand new HABS red jersey representing!

Had to come home though and …

#1.
    As I said before around noon.. don’t like Budaj starting.
    What if Budaj wins by being the difference…can you see the questions…
    Even if Budaj loses, how does sitting out this game help Price, or the team. Knowing that their number 1 goalie is sitting out as big a game as this and NOT because he needs rest or is injured. I fear it is mainly because of … well I wont go there.

#2. If the players themselves knew who would be dressinga nd who wouldnt by 11:30 as Therrien had promised then I’m OK with him not revealing the lineup. But if his decision was not known to them earlier than 3pm and(if he is telling them just around 7:00). Another questionable strategy which says a whole lot…and none of it good.

Ok now that that’s off my chest. Go HABS GO!

2. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

The Habs are a regular-season team built to catch a lot of teams napping during the season and rack up points; just like the Carbo-coached Habs who won the conference. When the intensity level goes through the roof they lack the talent, grit and character to win. The only way this team can compete in the post-season is if both sides agree to a ballet on ice. MB has a LOT of work to do in the off-season making gutsy moves which will greatly diminish the regular-season performance (which means nothing) but will increase the compete level and grit of the Habs. Rid this team of Pleks, Gio, Moen, DD, Diaz, Markov, Bouillion, Kabs, Weber, Gallagher (I love him but he is way too small and gets easily knocked off the puck before he gains the zone), Gorges; do a Gainey-type of house cleaning but don’t go out and sign Gomez and Cammy and Gio types for 5 years. Bring up ALL the rookies, finish at the bottom for 3 or 4 years and draft well and build with big skilled players. I’d like to see them bring in a new guy for Timmins. TT is too enamoured with small, skilled players. Let’s go. I’m old and want to see the Habs win a Cup before dementia sets in.

• Ian Cobb says:

Love the worn Jungle instead of the other they call themselves, which is an insult to the rest of our nation.
      good post!

• wjc says:

Surprised that you do not realize that “Leaf Nation” is a slogan dreamt up by marketing at ‘the fan’ radio in Toronto.

This is used by other teams as well….’Leaf Nation’ has nothing to do with anything else…..it is a SLOGAN. It is a marketing tool for all Toronto fans who phone in to ‘the fan’….they say hello welcome to Leaf Nation, what did you think of the game etc.

wjc

• wjc says:

I think you have been napping. Get rid of 75% of the team and replace them with Hamilton players. Finish at the bottom on purpose. Grab up first rounders for 5 years or so. Miss the playoffs and all that owner profit.

Molson would love that idea and would probably have to lower ticket prices and forget playoff revenues. Yea, he will go for that.

Then to top it off get rid of Timmons and forget skill just go for size, and end up with players that are big but cannot play.

Take a chill pill junior and grab a nap and try and clear your foggy head and tell yourself this is a business first and a competition second.

29 other teams are trying to get to the promised land, what make Montreal ‘special’ anymore. Lose on purpose, drop to the bottom and draft high and big and send some of the loopier fans off the bridge.

wjc

• Lafrich says:

Most ridiculous post I have read all year. Congrats!

• wjc says:

Before dementia sets in? When dementia has set in does the person realize it.

wjc

• Alvin says:

whoa… I agreed with your comments from another article in which you didn;t name names but here you go too far.
      You do not get rid of Pleks. He is the best two way player on the team and a great special teams player.
      Gio… well next year his contract is up. Team will prolly let him wear the C with dignity till the contract expires and let him go.
      Moen and DD can go. Markov should stay to work more with Emelin and mentor the upcoming new kids. Markov is still a top 4 D man imo. Then again it wouldn’t surprise me if he retired at the end of this season however I guess there are too many millions on the table for him to even contemplate that.
      Diaz should stay, Frankie will stay for the last year on his contract.
      Kabs is bought out and Weber will be let go. With regards to Gally
      I agree with you. His style is not that of Theo Fleury or Martin St. Louis and so the physical abuse will take its toll early in his career.
      Bottom line is that an NHL team requires horses not ponies to go all the way.

• Roy_s_WINK says:

Stupidest thing I’ve read on HIO in my entire history on here.

Try a new sport. Stop fantasizing about being a GM.

3. SmartDog says:

Bill – re. your comment below. I don’t interpret starting Budaj as meaning there will be a lot of other changes (or that Habs are not going full out for the win). Budaj has played extremely well. And Price is not his best against the Laffs. There’s no reason to think that Budaj is anything but Price’s equal in this game.

And if it were me, I’d tell Price “we’re sitting you so Budaj can have a game and so you can just study the play – some extra prep for the likely playoff match-up”.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• wjc says:

Smartdog. questions……does Price comes in if Budja lets in the first 5 shots.

If price lets in 3 more do you go back to Budja

What do you do Tuesday….blame the refs, the ice, the fans, or put Price back in.

If Toronto wins 4 straight do you join the Leafs in there quest for the cup.

The fans would welcome you with open arms and you would still have a chance for the cup. Come back to Montreal next year and pretend that it was all a reocuring dream

wjc

4. AceMagnum says:

I had the same dream again. The Canadiens won the final game of the season against Toronto 2-0. You can’t ignore the dream twice!

• wjc says:

You are having re-occuring dreams and this worries me. 2-0 is just wishful thinking. Think how disappointed you will be when you realize the dream did not come true.

You should ignore it, especially the second time, this is a sign that you are becoming psychotic and losing sight of realility. Do you have re-occuring dreams of lottery numbers and act on it. This could lead to electric shock treatment and a straight jacket.

I have been there, I know.

wjc

• Roy_s_WINK says:

I have a dream…that idiots like you won’t post on here anymore.

I welcome debate and differing opinions but yours are based in such misery and short-sighted beliefs.

I pity your digital existence. Carry on elsewhere.

• wjc says:

What a nice thing to say, you added so much to this thread. You welcome debate like you welcome ‘the flu’. You should stop dreaming and face reality.

You cannot debate, you limited to putting down threads that insult rather then inform.

Are you telling me to “carry on elsewhere” do you have any suggestions.

I welcome ‘debate and differing opinions (that is your big lie) A different opinion sends you into a spin in which you cannot think fast enough to combat.

You want to speak to people who agree with you, and you will never grow, you will stagnate and eventually fall under your weight of superficial b.s.

wjc

5. Psycho29 says:

@ Dave Stubbs:

Wasn’t tomorrow night’s Sens-Bruins game a make up of the snowed out game from earlier?
    I think the Sabres-Bruins game was postponed after the bombing and played a day or two later…

EDIT: I stand corrected! Damn short term memory!!! Sorry for doubting you, Dave!

6. commandant says:

Both Nashville and Calgary’s picks are in the top 36 right now.

Could be like two extra late first rounders.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

7. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

my software says we have a 94.3% chance of getting creamed

8. Bardya says:

Kadri face a claque.

9. ffenliv says:

Not at all related to tonight’s game:

Is anyone else curious what the home intro for Game 1 (regardless of opponent) will be like?

I’ll admit, I’m a total sucker for the over-emotional pre-game videos, like:

They get me every. single. time.

10. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

Kadri with the hattie

Leafs 7-1

No reason to feel that we are throwing in the towel on this one my friend.
    Budaj has done a fantastic job for us as a backup. More importantly he deserves this start from his work this year, and we want him ready to pitch in if something were to happen to Cary’s game.

We have two of the best in the league, don’t worry. If all play with intensity, we will take these guys. It is up to our speed, tenacity in swarming the puck at both ends of the rink and discipline to stay out of the box to win this thing

Enjoy!!!.

12. habzfan2003 says:

Not impressed with this recent poll… Where’s the option for:

“It’s doesn’t matter who we face, we’re gonna beat them in a 7 game series”

That’s my choice anyway.

13. ABHabsfan says:

The only problem I have with starting Budaj is that if he has a great game, and of course we want him to play well, you could cause a problem with controversy going into the play-offs. We don’t need that. Dance with the one who brung ya

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• habitual says:

If you mean a controversy on this site, but of course. The colour of Therrien’s shoes are a fit subject for criticism here.

But professional teams are good at blocking out the outside world. Imagine if the players let the conspiracy theories and unending views on the outside of the dressing room into their heads. For example, check Ed’s post, below.

14. Bill says:

Also, on a personal note, my little goaltender started spring hockey (who came up with this infernal idea?) today, and I had to she’ll out for new goalie skates and a new stick (Carey Price model of course haha).

I won’t give a number, but I know the other hockey dads and moms here will feel my pain.

15. ed says:

I guess finishing 2nd is not as important to Therrien as protecting his team and Price from the possibility of being beaten again in Toronto.

Sorry folks. I was brought up by a fighter, and I don’t believe in this trash philosophy that you back your way into a “no lose” situation.

if we win then we beat them with Budaj?
    if we lose then we lost with Budaj?
    A winner does not throw his back-up goalie into the nets when 2nd place is on the line.
    Therrien is officially a loser in my books

Price needs to play; needs to play well; needs to win, and win big.
    You don’t coach this team protecting them from a loss.

I’m going out for a long walk. This is totally humiliating. I’m completely pissed off.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

Please.
      Second place is irrelevant.
      He’s protecting nobody.
      He’s playing a good, intelligent hand.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

Actually, the Stanley Cup is on the line. I don’t think home ice confers any great advantage to the Habs. Budaj has proved himself capable this season. Price can prove himself anew when everything’s on the line.

• Mark C says:

Haha. I can’t help but laugh. Humiliating? A coach can’t rest his #1 goalie once before the playoffs without humiliating you? C’mon Ed, your better than this. For all we know, Price may be nicked up and needs a night off. None of us know exactly Therrien made this decision, but let’s let him coach without calling him a loser and making up speculative crap.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

ed, You need to get a new understanding of what’s important here. Only the Stanley Cup matters. Boston can have 2nd place and risk losing Rask to a freak injury. Besides, Price doesn’t need any more attacks to his self-confidence . The kid is too fragile as it is.

16. Bill says:

Although he’s not announcing line-ups, starting Budaj suggests we will see a few other scratches tonight, and tells me that Therrien is looking past this game.

It’s not uncommon for coaches to do so in relatively meaningless games, and I’ll defer to his judgment on this.

Was really hoping to see the Habs go all out for 2nd place though. But with home ice in the first round secured, and the bruins controlling their own fate, it’s a pretty respectable decision to rest up for the playoffs.

Prediction: no Markov, no Prust, and if it were me, no Plekanec. These are key players in desperate need of recovery time.

• Mattyleg says:

Is Whitey back and available?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• KenD29 says:

Have no problem giving Budaj the start and to me, this does not mean that the Habs are not going all out. Budaj has been fairly strong between the pipes when called upon.

All About Work Ethic

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If the scenario was the Habs win and they get 2nd, they would have gone 100% for it. However, that is not the case so rest and precaution prevails.

• KenD29 says:

let the chips fall where they may. And to me, rest Prust too. He’s our only player willing to drop em and since he’s playing hurt, rather have him on Tuesday night than get caught up in some Leafs foolishness.

All About Work Ethic

17. jols101 says:

Go Habs Go !!!

18. commandant says:

1 win + 1 Boston loss (in 2 games with travel) = division.

Win tonight.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

19. Mattyleg says:

Ugh.
    I have a re-scheduled improv show tonight.
    At 7.

Ah well. No biggie.
    If we win, hooray.
    If we lose, hoocares.

Hard to get excited about hockey when it’s 19º outside and sexy.
    Montreal gettin’ ready for the summer.

Bettman’s gotta get his head outta his Bett and focus on finishing the playoffs in March.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. Et le but says:

Bonjour commentariat!
    Anyone else here in denial about being nervous for tonight’s game?
    I hoped Price would get the start but generally like how the team plays in front of Budaj.

I have very quickly overcome my angst of the goalie decision and replaced it with, “Well of course we are starting Budaj!” Just as I will do the same when lineups are announced. Of course by then I will be mellowed out thanks to our owners home made product.

CHeers Et le but!

Off to the pub folks, talk to y’all after the game.

• Mattyleg says:

Pretty good idea in my opinion.
        If we win tonight, the Laffs have to worry about how much better we’ll be with Price in nets.
        We lose tonight, then the Laffs will have to worry about facing us with Price in nets in the playoffs.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Et le but says:

Love the positive spins HiB and Mattyleg; I’m in!
          Could this be qualified as a statement or measuring stick game?
          Me thinks yes….

• JohnBellyful says:

No, no, no!
            It’s a ‘setting-a-tone’ game, for the start of the playoffs, should the teams meet in the first round.
            If the Leafs play rough and win convincingly, you just know that’s how they’re going to play in the series. But losing badly could be good for the Habs as well, as they will need to atone for their shameful defeat. And what better way than to win the round.

• KenD29 says:

Bring on the Leafs no matter who is in the lineup.

All About Work Ethic

21. JohnBellyful says:

I’m going to be too emotional after tonight’s game to post a coherent response, so I’m making my feelings known now (should you be of a mind later on to want to know what they are):

Habs win big: Woohoo! Take that, you lawn litter!
    Habs win small: Wooo! [sigh of relief]. See you in Montreal, you bluezers!
    Habs lose small: Oooooo! Well, it was a meaningless game, anyway, you gauno from Toronto!
    Habs lose big: Boohoooooooooooooo! [sobs uncontrollably, then regains a measure of self-control] Yeah, well, the real season begins now, you, you, you TWITS! [resumes sobbing]

• Habfan10912 says:

It really is best to be prepared JB. Thanks for the tips.

• JohnBellyful says:

Jim, I suppose I shoulda included a Leafs fan’s reaction…
        Leafs win big: Ho hum
        Leafs win small: Budaj stood on his head.
        Leafs lose small: Meh, we’re in the playoffs
        Leafs lose big: Hmmm, maybe we will need five games to knock out Montreal.

• Mattyleg says:

I thought it would be:
          Leafs win big: We’re amazing and will win the Cup in 16 games!!
          Leafs win small: We’re amazing and will win the Cup in 16 games!!
          Leafs lose small: We’re amazing and will win the Cup in 16 games!!
          Leafs lose big: We’re amazing and will win the Cup in 16 games!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

Ah, but those are the rabid Leaf fans.
            The realistic ones* say: We’re in the playoffs, amazing! Maybe we will win the Cup in 16 years!

* Their existence, I acknowledge, is purely hypothetical.

Scary thing is, I think we can all follow that script tonight!

Do you plan for everything this well?

22. jols101 says:

Watching the PK video posted above, who would you guess made him laugh at the end of the interview?

I thing Armstrong would be that guy. Seems like the team clown.

23. Adidess says:

Reimer is playing for the Leafs, according to Toronto radio. Different approaches from the coaches for tonight, but that’s fine.

MT sent Budaj against the Bruins at Boston earlier in the season and got a victory. Many here didn’t like the move on the basis that we were supposedly throwing the game. Seems like we’re saying the same thing today.

I disagree that playing Budaj means trying to lose.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

The Wild needing to win to secure the playoffs at home against a weak Oilers team put the Great Konopka out on the first shift.

He started a fight after one second.

Won the fight. Pumped the crowd and his teammates.

This is why the Wild won the game.

Shrinking Violets take note.

25. govenah says:

Tinordi’s Check List
    Kadri x
    Lupul x
    Grabovski x

and that will just be the first period.

Fearless prediction: Fraser is tossed once Gallagher gets under his skin. And, Phaneuf backs down from Bourque.

Defensive assignments, breakout speed, make the goalie move out of position, then shoot the puck accurately.

26. frontenac1 says:

Lady Gaga did a 3-way? That’s ok.

27. jols101 says:

Therrien chooses to start Budja and the Price haters blame Price. I guess they were all pumped and ready to jump on him if he let in an early goal. Therrien has just ruined their Saturday night. Don’t worry guys, Price will start the Playoffs. You might get your chance.

28. Chuck says:

___________________________________________________

29. RetroMikey says:

Hmmmm….interesting decision by Therrien to rest Price even though it’s a meaningless game for both clubs.
    I’m puzzled by this decision of Michel to sit out your starting goalie.
    Perhaps Price is a little nervous to face Toronto with his past record against them this season?
    Reimer vs Price, a classic matchup in the playoffs!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

30. habsfan0 says:

Prince Philip is in town today and might be at the ACC tonight to cheer on his favourite team,the Montreal Canadiens.

I’m not sure if that’s such a good thing.

31. jols101 says:

Many times when games are hyped and everyone is expecting fireworks, the game is actually a huge snooze fest and nothing of interest happens. I think this could happen tonight. Both teams may be looking ahead for the “real” games to start.

32. The Dude says:

Lol,the protecting of all the highest paid athlete’s on the Habs from this game is embarrassing….not happy!

33. Adidess says:

@punkster

I’m pretty sure that Justin Timberlake hosted SNL very recently (probably early March). Was very good, once again. Doesn’t change much for you if you haven’t seen it, but what you’ll see tonight is most likely a re-run.

34. JF says:

I think starting Budaj is a mistake. Price has played only two good games since his slump, and he needs to know going into the playoffs that he’s on top of his game. Also, the last time he had more than a couple of days off between starts was after the Boston game three weeks ago. He was great in that game but followed it up with what was arguably his worst performance ever. Not that I don’t think Budaj can win the game; he’s won some important ones this season. I just think Price needs the work.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Yes but the worst possible thing to happen would be for us to get spanked again with Price in nets. Therrien knows his team is lucky to have won 2 of the last 7.

He’s throwing a hail mary – hoping the team regains its form before next Tuesday.

Resting Price when 2nd place is still very possible shows that we are not ready for the playoffs.

• JF says:

We all know we’re not ready for the playoffs; the victory over the Jets was hardly convincing. This game should be about getting ready. But I guess you’re right that getting spanked with Price in goal would be the worst possible thing. If we get spanked with Budaj, we can blame it on him. Price can then get spanked on Tuesday.

• Mr. Biter says:

Everyone in the building knew the Habs were going to win on Thursday night. ” Loudest building in the League” was a tomb.
          This is Budaj’s last start for the year. He may come in if Price is having a bad game in relief (as Price did for Halak), but this his last start.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

35. stevieray says:

My wish for tonite …quite simple ….Kadri being body slammed by one of PK’s checks !

36. savethepuck says:

According to Stubb’s tweet that Budaj is starting because MT said he hasn’t started in 10 days and he wants everyone ready for playoffs. Does that mean we’ll see Moen? Whitey? Drewiske? Dumont? Blundon?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

37. jols101 says:

According to the clown that follows the Laffs on TSN – Orr is in, McLaren a healthy scratch.

Bozak out with an injury.

Edit: sorry, habs001 posted the full line up.

No one knows what is wrong with Bozak. He was healthy before Florida, was seen deep sea fishing and caught a small shark. Would be hilarious if he got bit and now has infection, and has to miss some playoffs.

38. habs001 says:

Looks like Bozak out for the Leafs..

Projected Lines vs Canadiens

Forwards:

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
    van Riemsdyk-Grabovski-MacArthur
    Kulemin-Colborne-Frattin
    Komarov-McClement-Orr

Defence:

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
    Fraser-Franson
    Liles-Kostka

Goaltender

Reimer
    I still say a lot of posters over exagerate the toughness and goon style of the Leafs..Looking at their lineup this lineup is not different than most other teams in term of toughness and goonery…

39. kempie says:

Wanna bet one of these meatheads is gonna wanna try Tinordi tonight?

40. jrshabs1 says:

If Price isn’t going to play might as well sit some of the reg’s take a step down and play the leafs at their own game. Kadri’s been running around every game..time for someone to run him through the boards tonight. If Prust is out then someone else needs to step up and answer McLaren…Orr will need a partner or 2 as well.
    Tonight will be a man’s game.

Go Habs Go!!

41. zephyr says:

the habs should give it their best shot tonite. they can still win the division. whoever they play is going to try to goon them anyway so they should play to win & try to develop some semblance of momentum for the playoffs. overall, it’s been a great season. get the best playoff matchup we can. if we get a big lead, we can give some rest to some players.
    1 more game of gooning won’t matter. get the pp humming again & make them pay. i can’t see how playing weakly is going to help us esp if we face the leafs in rd 1.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I would agree with you if the scenario was the Habs win and they get 2nd place (conference). That is not the case. Better off resting key players and avoiding any potential injuries against a team that has shown the willingness to try to hurt opposing players.

42. Adidess says:

Sorry on IPhone, can’t edit my previous post.

It’s Budaj, as per RDS. I didn’t make that up.

43. savethepuck says:

So if Budaj is indeed confirmed, it’ll be 5 days between starts for Carey. Let’s have a rest vs rust argument.
    I thought Carey should of started, unless MT is planning on resting other key guys, which would only put Carey in a position to fail.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

44. Luke says:

15 degrees & sunny. That means a run then off to the pub. Should be a nice day for ‘people’ watching.

Enjoy the game folks. Go Habs!

45. Adidess says:

It’s Budaj. Don’t mind that at all. If we win, we confuse the Leafs. If we lose (badly or not), easy to reset for Tuesday by claiming it was the backup.

I don’t want to invest much in tonight’s game emotionally. I like this approach.

46. krulmadden says:

Washington can’t move up or down in the standings. So they will rest everybody, thereby giving Boston an easy 2 points. But I’m picking Ottawa tomorrow for the win.

Who would win Laffs/Sens tiebreaker?

How about some line combos from the practice?

Is White playing tonight? Is Dumont? I wouldn’t mind if they replaced Prust and maybe Gallagher.

50. kempie says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 1m
    Looks like Budaj gets #Habs start vs #Leafs

• Timo says:

You have got to be kidding! Just as Price was getting back in shape.

• habstrinifan says:

Bad Move..in my humble opinion.

• otter649 says:

Now the Leafs can play Scrivens – So Leafs will have no excuses when they lose in the playoffs first round that Reimer was tired & should have been rested last game of the season……

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Obvious choice. Can’t play Price against the Leafs in a meaningless game. Who knows what they would do…

• Timo says:

But it’s NOT a meaningless game? How is winning a division and securing home ice for at least 2 rounds meaningless? If that’s their reasoning it again shows that the team thinks they’ve achieved their goal this season. Great to see that a goal of a national league team is to reach playoffs. That’s why they make the big bucks.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Great to see that a goal of a national league team is to reach playoffs”…if you rest your best players before the playoffs doesn’t that indicate that the goal is higher than just making the playoffs?

Disagree about the effect of home games in the playoffs, especially in the later rounds…ask Vancouver.

Awww, you people are so excited. It’s cute.

52. punkster says:

The great Tower of Power said it best:

Talk your trash, mama, it’s alright with me
    I got my game uptight and you should have known it from in front
    I’m on top of the situation, so KNOCK YOURSELF OUT

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Strummer says:

didn’t know the punkster is a funkster

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

53. NLhabsfan says:

LAFF fans are a desperate lot..not like Hab fans.They hate Montreal with a passion..Comes from many years of being denied any kind of win.Sad lot that loves to hate from the commentators on down.

54. NLhabsfan says:

Another CBC Toronto LOVE in tonight.Can’t stand it..I’ll have RDS on.

55. Mr_MacDougall says:

DD sucks, play him lots with good players, increase his value, trade him.

56. KenD29 says:

Rest Markov and Prust. Starting Tuesday and there after, games mean a heck of allot more. No need having Carlyle send his so called “goons” (Kadri ! ) after Prust. He has been playing hurt and do not need him getting sucked into meaningless shenanigans. Save it for Tuesday.

All About Work Ethic

57. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

As it is International Greatness of Toronto day (isn’t it every day?), weren’t the Blue Jays supposed to be winning the World Series this year?

58. JohnBellyful says:

So this is where the party went to. No one tells me anything. Sheesh.
    As I was saying in the other room …
    Lemme see if I have this right:
    We want the Habs to paddle Orr, pop a vessel in Kessel, give Bozak some Prozac, kick Lupul’s poopul, Tazer Fraser, o’erturn O’Byrne, put Phaneuf through the roof and hit Gardiner even hardiner, and break a femur in Reimer?
    I dunno, it sounds a bit overboard to me.

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

59. commandant says:

Alexander Wennberg, number 18 on my draft board.

Russell’s argument that Tavares deserves the Hart

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Mark C says:

Liked what I saw from Wennberg during the WJC, a real Swiss Army knife of a player, with some serious skill.

Ben, have you seen any of Michael McCarron at the under-18s? Might he be a fit in the second?

60. nickster13 says:

None of this 4th place nonsense. I want that division and home ice for multiple rounds!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

61. PrimeTime says:

As I posted on the previous thread, if Leafs win a 1st round series against the Habs their fans with celebrate with enthusiasm. If Habs win, fans will be relieved. Which fans have more confidence? Which are more insecure?

If Habs play Leafs in 1st round and win, I will celebrate with enthusiasm. I really hope this doesn’t make me a Leaf fan? ;-)

• nickster13 says:

Leafs fans are more insecure, but also have more confidence. Difference is, they shouldnt.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• KenD29 says:

they are already acting like they won the Stanley Cup and have yet to drop the puck for the first game of round 1 !

All About Work Ethic

• Bill says:

I think both sets of fans would celebrate with enthusiasm while also being relieved.

Leafs fans would just as upset at losing to Montreal as we would be. They are actually very similar to Habs fans. Look at a Leafs board or TSN comments after any Leafs loss: it’s full of nasty posts about how useless Grabovski is, how soft and peripheral Kessel is, how Kadri is overrated, how slow their D is, and how Reimer lets in too many soft goals at bad times.

The only main difference right now between Habs and Leafs fans is that Leafs fans right now have lower expectations, and if they lose to the Habs in the first round they can say, “Hey, just making the playoffs after nine years is a good accomplishment.” So they can console themselves with that, whereas we want to see the Habs win a round or two at least.

They can have their lower expectations even if it helps them sleep at night. I don’t envy them that.

My Leafs fans friends are not the cocky internet guys. They are actually pretty trepidatious about the match-up and are refusing to predict anything. They don’t really believe in their team yet.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Full Breezer 4 Life

62. PrimeTime says:

The last time the Leafs played a their goons 15 min the Habs won 5-1

63. Prairienewf says:

Play the Bulldogs!!

64. fastfreddy says:

Was watching the Habs-Jets game Thurs. and I came to a shocking realization when a buddy watching with me said “look at Plekanecs, he can’t skate worth beans!” So I had to look closely at his skating style and I think mu buddy’s correct. Pleks doesn’t skate, he kind of wadddles like a duck, concerning for me.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• neumann103 says:

seriously?

“Et le but!”

• boing007 says:

Send him to Anaheim. Problem solved.

Richard R

• zephyr says:

pleks won the fastest skater skills competition when he was in the ahl. i don’t imagine he’s lost it yet. he’s a great 2nd line centre. so is eller. eller might even be better. galchenyuk is going to be a 1st line ctr maybe even as soon as next yr.. dd just got an extension, he’s a native & he’s too small to get good trade value. i like dd but he has to produce offense or he’s useless. somebody is going to wind up at wing. nice problem to have.

Enjoy your last Habs game before your holiday Frank!

CHeers!

• Ron says:

Been watching this all week trying to get pumped. The wife kind of thinks I keep the volume up too loud though. She’s a Habs fan so I been given some slack. Great pick me up for sure, all Habs fans should have this as required listening.

65. stevieray says:

our boys better have their skates laced up for tonite’s tilt. The Leafs are going to want to send a physical message to their potential 1st round oppenents. I believe it was Lupul in the paper this morning saying the reason why the Leafs held a edge this season was their physical play against the smaller/speedier Habs…
    I hope we don’t “mail it in ” tonite

66. Bill says:

I really want 2nd place, meaning if like to see the real squad, but the Leafs have nothing to play for tonight. Carlyle will be playing his goons 15 minutes tonight looking to knock a few Habs out of the potential first round meeting.

Well, we’ll know shortly what Therrien’s plan is.

• stevieray says:

Well Bill as I stated above I believe the Laffs have a lot to play for tonite …I think they’ll want to “send a message ”
      I just hope the coaching staff have us prepared

• Mike D says:

That’s very likely to happen, Bill.

On the other hand, they are also playing for 5th seed. While it’s not overly likely, the Sens could finish ahead of them if the Laffs lose and the Sens win both of their remaining games.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

67. Danno says:

The Maple Leafs = “The losingest franchise since the invention of the puck.”

Rex Murphy’s excellent rant about the Laffs

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Some more music to pump up for all of you!

69. Habfan10912 says:

In the absence of Smart dog and as someone else suggested, let’s take a poll. Rest em or play em?

70. Mike D says:

Apologies in advance since this is a “dreamland” idea, but I would love if we played all the Bulldogs we called up against the Laffs tonight and still beat them.

I know it won’t happen, but that would be AWESOME!

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

71. First meaningful post.

Go Habs Go

Which ever line up is out there, they will win.

Leafs Suck!

Habs Rock!

Go Habs Go

EDIT- oh nice edit Otter! :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

72. otter649 says:

#1 – Last April 27 game The Habs played was against Boston & Montreal lost game 7 in OT – I should remember as it was my birthday…..lol

Its Hockey day, not Political day! :)

74. HabFab says:

And who controls the American media, the Uk and France?

I think Bugs is doing that now.

It’s even funnier if you allow the media to control your point of view bud.

77. Habfan10912 says: