Price gets start vs Capitals

am

Only defenceman Alexandre Picard, nursing a foot injured by a shot puck a few days ago at practice, missed today’s practice. Head coach Jacques Martin worked offence and he worked it pretty hard, given that his team has gone two games and another 6:05 since it scored its last goal.

Martin later said that Carey Price gets his call to play nets Saturday vs. Washington and expressed full confidence in Price’s energy levels, saying he pulled his goalie Thursday after five goals in Boston because he wasn’t getting the support of his team. Alex Auld, his replacement, didn’t get much more.

Injured defencemen Andrei Markov and Jaroslav Spacek did some work on ice Friday with head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend. Markov is seen here from the press gallery overlooking the rink. That his head might seem to be chopped off doesn’t indicate an upper-body injury.

Follow Stubbs on Twitter here, with more from practice.

•  •  •

From Boone, who has no life except listening to sports radio.

So what happens?

The Bruins stick to hockey and pound the snot out of Molson’s hockey team.

Pathetic.

1. wd40 says:

Just heard on Team990 that Tony Marinaro reported Markov was offered 1 year deal; agent refused. Agent countered with 3 year offer… no word on whether or not that was accepted.

according to Marinaro, 1 year deal was for similar money as his current salary (i.e. 5.75M)

• observer says:

Well opposite to bonehead Gainey, Gauthier is at least trying to get deals done during the season.

• Timo says:

If I am Markov I am asking for more than Gomez money. I mean, Markov will be at a 35 point mark sometime around January probably.

• B says:

March is almost over and he is only at the 3 point mark.
        Last season he never hit the 35 point mark either.
        There are no guarantees on how he will play (or for how long).

• TripleX says:

I like Markov but a 3 year contract with his injury history?
      What about the Wiz? I can’t see signing both and right now I think the Wiz might be cheaper and definitely more durable.

• Timo says:

He is/should be cheaper but defensively more reliable? Come on, man. He is only more reliable if Markov is injured and not playing. Markov, when healthy, leaves Wiz in his dust. Wiz should be a solid #4 at best on a decent team. (Habs ain’t one of them decent teams)

• shiram says:

Yup Markov is/was a true #1dman. Wiz and his so-so defencive play is a 3rd/4th, and powerplay specialist.

• TripleX says:

The key phrase Timo is “when healthy” that Markov is a rare sight in a Montreal sweater. Markov seems to have the bone strength and luck of DiPietro.

• habstrinifan says:

Well said Timo. I will take Markov in the lineup over the WIZ any day. If WIZ is cheap cheap cheap then sign him but paying him anything over 3million will be continuing the sorry situation we have where we are paying basically ‘average’ players TOP NOTCH dollars. Rather save that money to help fill the needs of the team.. which are many.

Get a bigger meaner stay at home defenseman, let Webber grow into WIZ’s offensive role and we will be better served than shelving out huge money for WIZ.

• wild flower says:

I think if you review Wiz’s injury history, you’ll find three major knee surgeries.

From globe and mail:

“Games like this are always much harder on the people around us and our fans than they are on the people in this room. It’s not productive for us to dwell on that stuff,” Cammalleri said.

Told ya… they don’t give rat’s behind. And why would such game be hard on you, Mr Cammalleri? Why burden yourself with some silly hockey game scores when life at 6 mil/per year offers so many other things to enjoy. Silly fans.

• chilli says:

Here’s why idiot. Whether you lose 1-0 or 7-0, a loss is a loss. They let it go. Just like their win over the Wild was just another win – they still have to go out and try to win the next game.
      If you truly think they don’t give a rats ass – you know nothing of this sport they play.

Tre

• Favorite Son says:

Cammalleri was seen smiling at some point when it was 7-0…not sure about this.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Well, I just looked at the standings. We have 7 games left, 1 of which is tomorrow against Washington (luckily sans OV) and 1 against NJ, who will probably have Parise back by then.

We have played 1 or 2 more games than most of the other teams in our division, no one has played more than 75. We’re playing at .500 our last ten, if that holds, which is arguable we are going to finish, probably 7th or 8th and will play the first or second team.

I will leave you guys to prognosticate the probable results of those match-ups.

P.S. I see some speculation about Markov playing. Let him rest until next year. Let’s not rush him back, again.

4. Sal says:

Is it just me, or does Carey look like he’s fighting the puck lately? He isn’t his usual calm self, these past few games, and, it looks to me that he’s flopping around a bit more.

• Ian Cobb says:

He’s fighting the whole team lately my friend.!

• Wayne says:

Maybe a little. I’m not worried. It’s due to the in-game workload lately, brought about by piss poor defence.

• HalifaxHabs says:

It’s definitely not just you that sees it that way… but I’m not sure I do.

2 games ago, we lost to Buffalo 1-0, and Price played amazing in that game.

last night, 2 goals were deflected in by defensemen, and 1 one was Paul Mara trying to be Hall Gill by lying down, except he just deflected the puck right to Horton who had an empty net… could Price have bailed us out on the other 2, maybe 1 of them, but would it have mattered last night? I think we all saw the Habs skaters were a joke compared to the Bruins.

if there’s only 1 thing on this whole team that’s worth a sh*t, it’s Carey Price.

• savethepuck says:

Yeah he really sucked against Buffalo and then don’t get me started on that first period last night. Unbelievable he couldn’t stop the first screen shot, the second deflection or the 3rd that bounced off Mara onto a Bruin stick while he’s going the other way leaving an empty net. What a sieve.

5. Bugs says:

Little trivia. I don’t have the answer; I just wanna know. (is that really “trivia” then?)
    -When’s the last time we won 6 in a row?
    -When’s the last time we won 7 in a row?
    Seems like a fraggin long time to me…

6. HabsFansince49 says:

What has ever happened to Lars Eller lately? He looks as if he has totally lost his confidence. Has he developed Martinitis? That affliction has hit a number of young players

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

• J.J. of Turku says:

I think he was our only centerman last night who wasn’t in the twilligt zone.

• HabsFansince49 says:

Well that doesn’t say much. Rather a poor bench mark comparing him to the rest of the lot

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

• Bugs says:

Martinitis, that’s the condition that sends you to the Conference Finals, right?
      Well, whatever’s afflicting Eller, it ain’t that.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Yup, you’re always up for discussin Eller and whats wrong with him eh bugs? Never see ya discussin the invisible man known as Pouliot. Funny how you pick your spots like that.

• Bugs says:

Ok, Luty, Eller IS playing like one who has a “Conference Final condition”…ok? Is that better, Luty? And Poolio was “invisible”, ok? Good?
          “Always, always” and “never, never”.
          Way to argue, kid.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Don’t get all excited Timmy, just pointin out the obvious, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

• HabsFansince49 says:

I truly hope you’re right and I’m wrong Bugs about the Conf. finals. But I’m not putting any money on it. Speaking of money, I have an ongoing bet with a buddy of mine who happens to be a Laffs fan. The bet is 8 beers per point in the standings between the Laffs and the Habs. Just over a month ago I was 128 beers up and smiling big time. Today I’m 72 beers to the good.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

• Bugs says:

Nice!
          Not all in one sitting, I hope?

• HabsFansince49 says:

You’re welcome to more than a few if you don’t mind coming to Halifax

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

7. J.J. of Turku says:

In case that anyone is interested, I’m pretty drunk right now. Tuborg beer, El Dorado 12 years and finally back to my favourite Laphroaig (basic 10 yrs).

All that alcohol made me think clearly.
    I’m sure we can beat any team in the play offs, just like last season (even philly). Guys just need to leave their emotions to the locker room and be as good as they have been, except Cammalleri has to be better. If only brother Anderei is awake, I’d go with Pleky, AK and Cammalleri, if Cammaleri continues being useless, then Pouliot/Darche. I don’t think Halpern is an improvement to that line. He’s better in the center and good at face offs.

There, my first and last coaching post. :D

• Wayne says:

You’re “drunk-writing” skills are impressive. Don’t know what you said as I was checking for errors.

• CHsam says:

GOLD. I was in Oslo last month, and Tuborg was practically the only beer I could afford. I also bought the cheapest dirtiest beer possible at the duty free shop at OSL, and that still costed me a pretty penny.

• J.J. of Turku says:

Norway is a very expensive country. But they have all the oil in the Scandinavia (Northern Europe), which means they can pay for a beer as much somewhere else people pay for a whole meal. But I like norweigians, they don’t act like our hardcore-european neighboors, the swedes. Swedes are too beautiful people :D

• LA Loyalist says:

JJ – check out Selanne’s goal against Dallas the other night. Koivu basically crashed out two defenders and got Selanne the puck and of course he knows what to do with it.

It was a play you rarely see here in Montreal, crashing the oppo net, I mean.

• J.J. of Turku says:

Selänne told to finnish media, that he just skated to a free spot knowing Saku will send him the puck. At those moments I just wonder if he only were still playing in the Habs as a 2nd-liner. We’d have a pretty decent team.

• ClaytonM says:

Just imagine if we had a GM with some foresight in the mid-late 90s who would have gone out and paid for Selanne, so Saku would have a decent winger for once. Instead he was stuck with moron after moron – Higgins, Ryder, Savage – guys who were streaky but had the bare minimum of hockey intelligence.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

8. habsfanincalgary says:

It’s been a while that I’ve posted here, and I’d like to voice some observations / get some feedback from my fellow Hab fans:

– It’s been a number of years that the team has had a bona fide scorer (someone who will score over 40 goals on a consistent basis (someone like an Iginla, Kovalchuk or Stamkos). Cammy seems to be slumping now, and I’d place him as the closest to that class of player. The team was shut out some 11 times last year and last night’s fiasco I believe was the 7th or 8th time this year that they have put the big goose egg on the board.

– Has anyone heard anything about Markov’s expected return?

– Scott Gomez has done very little this year. The $7 million man has a terrible +/- and points wise, is no more than a second or third line player.

– How have Gorges’ and Markov’s injury affected the team’s salary cap? (still trying to figure this one out, how the long term injury affects a team’s cap)

The Habs have a tough end of season schedule. While these will be good tests to see how they measure up, they are must-win games as the recent goose eggs they have posted on the scoreboard over the last two games jeopardizes their chances of making the playoffs.

Here’s hoping to getting things turned around!

GO HABS!

• TripleX says:

The lack of scoring is the result of the coach and not the players with the exception of Gomez.
      One only has to look to the players that have left the Count. Grabovski has 28 goals with 28 assists and a +14, D’Agostini has 18 goals with 21 assists and a +2 and SK has 19 goals with 23 assists and a +5. All these players were deemed uncoachable and dealt for peanuts.
      When just one player excels you can argue it is an aberration. But when almost every player excels away from JM the answer is abundantly clear.
      Think these players are better than AK, Pouliot, Cammi, Pleks or Eller? JM KILLS OFFENSE.

9. Steven says:

I’m sure I’m going to sound like a troll for this, but how can the duo of Koivu(36) and Selanne(40) be doing better than Gomez(31) and Gionta(32)?

Koivu: 14-25-39
    Selanne: 25-45-70

Gomez: 7-28-35
    Gionta: 26-15-41

• OneTimer says:

Koivu and Selanne are better players than Gomez and Gionta? Actually, I’d say it’s Selanne who’s significantly better than Gomez. I’d rank Gionta and Koivu roughly the same, despite being at different positions.

• 123456 says:

idk how selanne still does it – yes he is far superior to gomez. i’d rate gionta slighty ahead of koivu (and i’m a huge koivu fan). i’ve tried to support gomez all season – i do believe he does a lot in the way of puck possession but his value and his ability to possess the puck keep dimishing.

• Steven says:

I always thought the same, but it’s unbelievable how those two, who are near the end of their careers, can pull off a better season than two guys who are maybe a bit passed their prime.

• OneTimer says:

I agree with you both, 123456 and Steven.

Also, I’d like to point out that Gionta only has six more points than Gomez. They’re both going to finish in the same general vicinity. And yet Gomez gets ALL of the hate around here on HI/O. Just thought I’d point that out (as a huge Gionta fan that bought his T-shirt).

• J.J. of Turku says:

I would be so happy if (when) Gomez and Gionta start to score more and I have to believe that sooner or later it begins. I know Koivu is a player who makes his linemates look good, but so is Selänne too. I’ve read a few articles about him and in all of those he said, he’s just living he’s dream, doing what likes the most. With that attitude everyone should live their lives and do their work…

• Bugs says:

By playing in a non-pressure market where making the playoffs or not has no bearing on their culture and/or society?
      Or maybe because Selanne is an All-Star Hall of Famer who scored more goals in ONE season than Gomie ever scored in five?
      I dunno; it’s a doozy, fersure…

• LA Loyalist says:

Koivu and Selanne are doing great with Ducks. Koivu went 13-9 on faceoffs the other night. I was at the Kings/Ducks game last Sat (sold out) which Ducks won in O/T and Koivu is out in many important situations, face-offs, 2nd PP, last minute of periods. And that’s Ducks SECOND line. On top of that they have Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan and are thus very hard to defend. If Hiller comes back as before they will be very dangerous.

Neither Gomez or Gionta would make the Ducks. I doubt they would make the Kings, either. Would you take Gionta and Gomer over Kopitar and Penner?

Send death threats wherever.

10. higginrs says:

It’s been a bit of a yawner on this site today.

Games tonight are:
    NJD vs PIT
    FLA vs BUF
    WSH vs OTT
    CAR vs TBL

I’d say we’ve got some score board watching to do tonight.
    Love to see some spoilers!

• HUDSONHAB says:

I’m I the only one wondering if the Habs are now fighting for a playoff birth?

….Hab4life….

• Bugs says:

Five teams around us, from TB on down, are wondering the same. And if THEY start to despair as you are, we’ll be ok, I think.
        We just gotta keep an eye on those powerful, powerful Sabres, the Engine of Destruction that is the Rangers, the furiously unstoppable offence of the Caners and the greatest team in modern hockey, the leafs…
        Ah, I think we’ll be ok…

• HUDSONHAB says:

We have been so close to the penthouse a few times lately only to discover that the key didn’t fit.
          Meanwhile, as we try to knock down the door and move in we have left our door open and someone is sitting in our favourite chair watching our big screen tv, petting our dog.

….Hab4life….

• Bugs says:

Too…many…metaphors. Choking…loss of eyesight…heart palpitations…
            Ga-ak!…
            Oh, wait, no, I got it. Agree we ain’t moving up where we would like to be, Hud, but that doesn’t mean we’re moving down in the process.

• LA Loyalist says:

I know the odds are bad, but NJ are getting Parise back, and we still have to play them once.

• higginrs says:

TBL are 2 points up on us and have 2 games in hand. I think if the Habs recover from the pounding last night, which they should, and they play well from here on in, then we could still overtake TBL.

• 123456 says:

do you want to try to overtake tampa or rather tamp win just in case the habs need help keeping 8th?? ok i can;t be that down on the team but they are playing a hot cps team sat so another L is not out of the question….. on the flip sid ebeating a hot caps team will do wonders for confidence

• Ian Cobb says:

Little tough being perky!

11. Steven says:

Remember this?

Let’s start believing, boys.

12. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Gomez played his best game in two months…and still looked horrible. Put him on the bus to Hamilton…better still throw him under it..then back it up and do it again…!!

13. Mark C says:

Marc de Foy is reporting that PG has spoken with Don Meehan about his client, Alexei Yemelin, about a contract with Montreal. Meehan says that talks will pick up once Montreal’s season ends. Let’s hope the third time is the charm with Yemelin. His cap hit would be low and it seems likely he would be a plus as a bottom pairing D (at worst).

14. Hobie Hansen says:

Who else thinks there’s 50/50 chance #79 will be on the ice for game 1 of the playoffs?

I just find it interesiting that he’s in full equipment out on the ice. I think he’s testing the knee and thinking about it…?

I’d like him or somone to confirm that there is absolutely no chance of him trying to play in the playoffs, I don’t believe we’ve heard that in the last month?

15. TommyB says:

If Martin Maguire is correct in his assessment that Molson’s embarrassment was one of the worst aspects of last night’s game, then the ball lands squarely in the court of someone who is in a position to do something about it. It seems to me that after last year’s playoff success (yeah, I know, didn’t win the Cup so how successful was it, really), an owner would have the right to expect a degree of improvement the following year. Taking all into consideration, including the multitude of injuries to key personnel, Molson can sit down this summer and evaluate what his team has, and what it needs. If he feels his management team still has the team on track he can leave well enough alone. However, if he feels his management team is off course, he can make changes at the upper levels. So, we’ll see how far “embarrassment” plays, won’t we.

• LA Loyalist says:

I think indirectly this may work out. Bite the bullet and acknowledge that the rebuild needs some, ah… tweaking. Then make the moves this summer to do it. We have a great core if Markov and Gorges get back healthy. But I don’t see how anyone can still think the top 6 outside of Pleks and Patches and a healthy Cammi are adequate.

Write the checks that have to be written, buy the bus tickets, make the sandwiches, hand out the road maps.

• HabsFanInVictoria says:

It’s brutal that making the conference finals doesn’t count as a successful season for a team that wasn’t even supposed to make the playoffs.

16. mrhabby says:

habs have had 194 man games lost due to injuries. The leader is the Islanders with over 500. were in the middle of the pack so any losses due to injuries gets lost on me a little. ya i know we lost Markov and Josh G.

17. Gregory Campbell was really happy last night, he said that game is the closest he’s felt to being in the playoffs since he made the NHL. I got news for you Gregory, if you think THAT was like a playoff game, you’ve got a very rude awakening coming.

• CHsam says:

Yeah we gave them that game last night. Definately rude awakening coming.

• N.B.habs fan says:

Rude awakening… like for our boys to wake up ,Boston are bigger and better than the Habs and want to win more too…..(just saying).

• HalifaxHabs says:

Really, they want to win more?

did they want to win more when they lost 9 of their last 12 games against the Habs? or did they just want to win more last night?

I love when people make definitive statements like “the Bruins want to win more.”

18. Kooch7800 says:

It was hard watching the last two losses for sure but remember the injuries. Last night Plek’s and Halpern and Sopel were back
    from Injury and didn’t play that well but were thrown into a fire in a game like that. The only solace I take is that they are back and will start playing better shortly.

We will get better but it would have been nice to see a real effort put forth last night that just wasn’t there. They looked uninspired and defeated after the first goal.

We really miss Pach’s on forward. You forget how much he brought to the table. He is our only real power forward with hands.

19. mdp2011 says:

Does everyone hear that crunching and cracking sound? It’s the sound of all the broken ankles from jumping off the bandwagon. Someone once said “Chill Out”, it’s been a bad couple of weeks, all teams go through it, the habs will survive this. Anyway, we will make room on the bandwagon for all those who want to jump back on when they’re back winning again.

• NightRyder says:

We have pretty much the same undersized, overinjured crew we had a year ago.

Our hope again rests with the goaltending.

Over the years, stellar goaltending has carried many a mediocre crew well down the playoff path.

• mdp2011 says:

The Habs made to the conference finals last year, and if it wasn’t for the epic Bruins choke, they would have made it to the Stanely cup finals, not bad for undersized, overinjured crew. While I agree with your statement about goaltending, you fail to mention Cammy had the most goals by a hab in a single playoff year, Gill the wall, Gio’s timely goals, etc…, so goaltending wasn’t the only reason and besides goaltenders are still part of the team last time I checked.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

We are only missing two things to be a contender.

They’re called Daniel and Henrik.

I make no apologies for being a Habs fan. I’d rather see them enter the play-offs in 3rd spot than 8th and that’s the issue here.

When they had a chance to grab 3rd they delivered two scoreless games instead. Coming in at 8th place is only good if your team has been on a hot streak heading into the playoffs. Meaning 20 games out you were in 11th. Imploding at season’s end and wilting into the play-offs is what the Habs are known for now. All this talk of 24 Cups is ludicrous. That was another NHL. The Habs have 2 Cup wins in the modern era and the last win was almost 20 years ago.

Wake up people. The Habs are not the great team of history. Yes they made the play-offs with all the injuries but why all the injuries. Why is it that the Habs have been amongst the league leaders in injuries in the past 3 seasons. Is it the Bell Centre boards? I don’t buy that argument. IMO it is the move from playing run and gun to this trap system that requires big bodies to execute. The team stocks itself with straw figures and expects to be a brick wall. All it takes is a huff and a puff and the house of cards is blown away.

• Bugs says:

We lost 8 of our last 11 finishing 8th last year before our playoff run, not to mention our last 3 to NYI, CAR and TOR, so the “momentum” argument works right up to the point where it doesn’t from all accounts.

• Rob says:

With all due respect HH, it’s hard to take what you have to say seriously when you’re viewpoints and opinions keep changing. Your posts are the definition of bi-polar

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• mrhabby says:

habs have had 194 games lost due to injuries, there not even close to the leader…see globe and mail article today.

22. Mattyleg says:

Beh. I’m not giving up.
    Playing with a bunch of guys just back from injury against a completely healthy team… not a big deal.
    I’m proud of how we’ve played overall considering all the obstacles thrown in our way this season.

Shnizz happens.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• goat_007 says:

It has been and it is not over yet. I agree 100% with you.

HIO has change my life, I think for the better but my boss may disagree! Go Habs GO!

23. JD_ says:

After last night’s Cradle of Liberty Ladle of Ignominy™, sportsclubstats.com is carryin’ a 99.3% probability the Habs will make the playoffs.

Or, one can just open the stats page in the sports section.

Either way, if you truly believe the team is out of the playoff picture, I am prepared to give you odds.

Sick odds.

Really, really sick odds.

• Mark C says:

So you’re telling me there’s a chance?

• HardHabits says:

I wouldn’t bet that the Habs make the play-offs just yet even with those odds. Anything can happen right?

Nevertheless, I’d plunk down $10 at the chance of winning $993.

Even still. Let’s say they do make them with what I predict will be a 2-7 record for the remaining 9 games. Is this the 1993 team? I remember they wilted into the play-offs with a losing record too.

• JD_ says:

The discussion is about makin’ the playoffs. Let’s keep the uprights where they are.

If, with those numbers in hand, you’re unprepared to bet the Habs make the playoffs, I could never hire you. Hopefully, you don’t mention it in the cover letter and at least have the opportunity to melt down durin’ the actual interview.

And, I’m assumin’ there’s a K at the end of the $993.

Cheers.

• HardHabits says:

I’ll leave the melting down for the Habs. I couldn’t hold a candle to their sun light in that regards.

• punkster says:

David, you’ve reverted to the Cynical Tankster (™) I thought you had jettisoned weeks ago. Negative thoughts drive negative actions. Come on man, it’s spring, it’s playoff season, we’re gonna be there and it’s gonna be great :)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

24. joshua94k says:

Let’s put things in perspective. Ask any team in the NHL today to play without their top two defencemen for over half a season. Most teams would be at the bottom of the standings.

The Canadiens are where they are today playing without Markov and Gorges. Their top shut down guys, their penalty killing and powerplay specialists.

Their top Centre, Tomas Plekanec, and their top scorer Mike Cammalleri, are playing injured. Their best two-way player, Max Pacioretty is injured.

Gill, Spacek, Wisniewski, Sopul, Paccioretty etc., the list goes on. No team has faced such injuries. At some instances the Canadiens played without 5 defencemen.

Yet their record is 40 – 28 – 7 for 87pts. They are in a play-off spot. This team works hard and doesn’t deserve the bashing they get.
    Every team has an off night, even the 1976-77 and 1958-59 Canadiens had a few.

Has any coach this season faced the injuries the Canadiens have had. Sure the Penguins lost Crosby and Malkin, but did they lose their top two defencemen as well. Vancouver lost some key defence men at times but alongside that did they lose their best forwards.

The Canadiens coaching staff deserve credit for putting whatever lineup they could on most nights and developing a game plan to win.

This team’s management has develped a strong farm team where we could young players who have saved this season. Desharnais, Pacioretty, Webber, White etc deserve a big applause.

Has any goalie had to play so many games with a depleted defensive unit in front of him. Not Fleury, not Thomas, not any goalie in this league. Factor in the enormous pressure of the most demanding fans, Carey Price has been a relevation.

Where would the Canadiens be without PK Subban, a rookie who has to face constant bashing from opposing players, media etc. I have never seen a rookie from Montrealor anywhere face the scrutiny this kid does and he has played the most minutes on most nights and played agaisnt the other team’s best forwards. He has played amazingly.

This team does not deserve the unfair criticism. They are going to make the play-offs. They are going to get healthier and the teams that face the Canadiens are going to wish they could face someone else.

• Mattyleg says:

Totally down with that, Josh m’man.

We’ve shown that we have a hell of a lot more depth than a lot of people would have given us credit for.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• NightRyder says:

The Canucks seem to churn along quite nicely despite missing Edler (their best d-man) for 25 games; Bieksa for 16; Salo for 55; Hamhuis for 13 and Ballard for 17.

The biggest difference? They pay the Sedins and Ryan Kesler (all products of their system) $17.2M. We pay Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri (all brought in because we are desperate) $18.4M.

I like Josh Gorges, but he is a run-of-the-mill NHL d-man. Our biggest problem is paying non-elite players elite-level salaries and giving them elite-level ice time.

Suggesting our injuries are worse than losing Crosby and Malkin is inane.

• joshua94k says:

Ask Crosby or Ovechkin if Gorges is run-of-the-mill.

• NightRyder says:

As I said, I like Gorges. He’s a smart, hard-working professional who sets a good example and is an excellent teammate. But he’s not very big, he has no offensive skill whatsoever and is what he is – an average No. 4 or 5 d-man.

If you’re somehow intimating that Hart Trophy-winning future Hall of Famers fret over playing against Josh Gorges, you are delusional.

• LNev says:

They said he’s not bad, but not great.

• VancouverHab says:

Gomez has two Stanley Cups, the Sedins combined have ZERO. The Canuckleheads also pay Luongo a trillion dollars a year forever and he has won exactly nothing either.

This is called “economics”.

• LA Loyalist says:

“The team does not deserve unfair criticism.”

What rhetorical horseradish. The criticism is generally directed at management and coaching. Habs (can I say that?) are constructed to be a fast-skating, opportunistic team – yet the don’t have the skill to finish.

They are asked by their coach to play a defensive style that they are not constructed to execute. Do you take your little Alfa convertible to pull a wagon out of a ditch? H*ll no, you take a truck.

It all comes back to the same original problem. The blow up 2 years ago was panic, the re-build was like going to the pick’em wrecker. Some good parts, some mistakes.

We have a GREAT core. Price, Pleks, Patches, Markov, Gorges, Cammi, maybe a couple of others. I have hopes for Poo. Eller should be in Hamilton. I would keep Wiz and Sopel but obviously there are cap issues.

Gomez has to go. Gio is not a captain for the Montreal Canadiens, I’m sorry, I don’t mind him on the team but not as captain. He’s not a game changer who can shift the team’s momentum.

I suspect PK will eventually be captain and will be great when he matures some.

Either we change the coach, or we change a lot of players, they don’t match up.

The key is not if we make some little noise in the playoffs, the key will be what is done this summer, and if it is not dramatic than we can just expect more of the same.

Most of the guys have generally played hard under rotten circumstances, but the system and team construction are against them and I think they are just out of mental and physical gas.

25. filincal says:

Any fights during the game last night…winner? Missed the game.

26. bwoar says:

Can’t take it too seriously. But the 2 holes in out Top 6 (not counting the Gomez vacuum) are hurting the team. With Pacioretty we were still short a top winger, now we’re short two. Deep teams will walk over that.

At the deadline we heard mostly from the “no moves can be a good thing crowd” and when all was said and done I got the feeling there was a a quorum of consensus among fans. It seems like mgmt decided it’s not our year, so we made only patch job moves, decided to ride it out, and hope for Halakian heroics in the playoffs. Sacrifice for a Dustin Penner? Zenon Konopka? An NHL forward above 6’? Why bother? We’re not in the running to win this year, right? Of course not!

So, fine, Penner wouldn’t have stopped a 7-0 drubbing. But the point being, the brass has long ago turned the corner on this year. No Markov, no Gorges, defense a mess, forwards underachieving, others playing hurt, let’s just call the whole thing off.

Basically that remains the mentality and it’s simply getting down to the players now. They expect to play one round and don’t mind squeaking in. Hey, for a change we can squeak in by LOSING instead of WINNING, so it’s a net improvement for the franchise, right?

I am tuning out until the playoffs. The team knows full well what management thinks of their chances, and they know it’s Carey or Bust. Here’s hoping the kid has a few miracles left this year.

• habsindepth says:

That’s the thing! When Pacioretty went down, I heard comments on the radio about how we were winning before Patches was called up and how we will continue winning now. What people don’t realize is that without Patches, you got two holes, as you put in so nicely. Now we don’t have wingers for the top two lines and that hurts our scoring more than anything! Against the Wild, it was just an anamoly, Subban got rewarded for his great work throughout the year, White and Desharnais played great and have been good additions to the team and they got rewarded as well… our veterans, they were still absent.

The top two lines have very streaky players, Gomez, Plekanec, Cammalleri, Gionta, they are all veterans but they are all down at the moment, Pacioretty brought some really important energy to that line and without him, we are suffering. No question the kid had become extremely important for us before he went down.

===================================
      Beantown Humiliation: http://bit.ly/g4USsr
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hidpage

• Mattyleg says:

Hahahahaha!
      You still harping on about Penner?? He has a whopping 6 points in 11 games, including 12 shots. Yay. What a Man Of Steel.

And your concern about our height makes no sense. We are well in the league average of height.

I can’t believe I’m still having this conversation.

We picked up two good defensemen, one of whom got injured. How that has anything to do with losing is beyond me. I’m sure you were weeping the same sad tale after we hammered the Wild…

I think it’s best that you tune out, and while you’re at it, try to get some perspective.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LA Loyalist says:

Penner is creating real estate for Kopitar. You should watch some games sometime. Sorry to be cranky.

• Mark C says:

You don’t trade a top prospect, 1st, and conditional 2nd for someone to clear real estate.

Kopitar before Penner: 63-20-42-62

Kopitar with Penner: 11-5-5-10

That’s some real expense real estate even by LA standards.

• bwoar says:

I’m sorry you didn’t take the time to read and understand my comment. I guess we won’t have a conversation.

27. Chuck says:

Yikes… after reading some of the post-game comments last night, I was kind of surprised to see that the sun had come up this morning.

28. Edmaster says:

Since game 20 of this season, I have been telling my longtime friend, and mutual Hab fan, that for the first time in my life, I can’t seem to figure our team out. There’s been no rhyme or reason whatsoever in their winning or losing equation this year, nor against whom they beat or lose to. The only consistency they’ve somehow been able to show, is that they seem to be able to win more than they lose. So if they continue this trend, we should expect them to win 4 of the remaining 7 games and certainly take a spot in the big dance. What happens next is why we’re all here, in hopes that our storied franchise can bring home the Holy Grail, whether we believe they have the team to do it or not.

Expos, please come home.

• The Cat says:

Habs havent been as good on the road as the other eastern playoff teams; thats been pretty consistent all year. They havent sucked mind you, but they need to go up a notch.

29. V says:

I am not sure I see the connection between the loss last night and the embarrasment of the Habs owner. Quite a stretch.

Teams lose. Badly sometimes. You move on. Team has shown heart all season and didn’t last night. For one game.

All things considered, I have to believe the Molson’s skin is plenty thick enough to take this.

30. Stuck_in_To. says:

So the Bruins have won two regular season games in the last two years and suddenly the lopsided wins are the only contests that are truly indicative of the team we have? Honestly? Please go listen to Bob Dylan’s “Idiot Wind”. That is your theme song.

What about the win in-between the “Beatdown” and the “Blowout”? An accident, of course.

• Favorite Son says:

Bruins won 2 of the last 3. They have the momentum. Nobody’s saying Boston would win in 4 if they meet in the first round, that would be ridiculous. But the Bruins are clearly the better team. While anything can happpen in the playoffs (there goes that saying again), I would say Bruins in 6.

31. leafs67_andcounting says:

I have a question for Boone or anyone else who might know. Can the Canadiens do what the Rangers did with redden or the Hawks with Huet and park Gomez in the minors or let him go to Europe for the duration of his contract? This would free up valuable Cap space and let them get a player(s) with that money. I understand they still have to pay him, but wouldn’t this be addition by substraction?

• fun police says:

lets be honest about something and at least be objective. over the last two months, pleks has been no better than gomez. in fact, in real physical games, gomez has been the more visible player. do i think pleks is a better player? absolutely. would i take pleks over gomez? yup. but, for some reason, pleks gets a free pass, and against boston, all he did was take a bad penalty.
      burying gomez in the minors next year may be a possibility, however i think you have to give a veteran player a chance to redeem himself. also, lets see what he does when it matters. he was pretty good in the playoffs last year.

• Favorite Son says:

Exactly. And why do Gionta and Cammalleri also get free passes? Why were they on the 5 on 3 last night? They didn’t deserve it and they blew it.

32. homerbowen says:

I’ve been moaning aboujt our small players for the past two years. While we have won many games with them we will not contend for a Cup. There are just too many small players for a single team. Perhaps Gomez is untradeable, however, to keep him on our team is like leaving a cancer in your body. Every effort should be made to move him to another team and that would include the Bulldogs. While I can see us keeping one of the remaining small guys (take your pick of Camm or Desharnais) I would definately move Gionta. Given Gionta would only come if Gomez signed then he must go too and he is tradeable. Martin should not coach next year (move him upstairs if necessary). Yes, I would consider Muller for the job but the usual politics BS might keep him out. The defense needs to be upgraded as well with the departure of Hammer and hopefully Spacek. Time to clean house or the Laffs will win a Cup before we do!

33. HabsFanInVictoria says:

The majority of you (including Boone and company) bashed the Habs all season long last year. You ate your words in the playoffs.

This season, the same crew of schizophrenics have been at it again.

Take a step back and get some perspective. Including all of the injuries and distractions as of late, I’m pretty happy with their season. If you’re not happy, than you need to clue in.

When they lost 8-6 everyone was pissing and moaning. When they were up 4-0 it was time to plan the parade. They lost again, and it’s doom and gloom.

Relax.

• Favorite Son says:

There’s a problem when your top 3 players have been invisible for most of the season (Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez). Once again, the goalie is the biggest part of the team’s success. If there’s a time for those 3 to wake the eff up it’s now.

• Chris79 says:

I was happy with how we played in that 8-6 lose.. We scored 6 goals still.. Bruins got intimidated by us, hence them reacting like Goons.
      I’m pretty Happy with there Season too.. The only worse part of this Season was there Christmas holiday road trip for me..that was BRUTAL. cost us atleast 8 points.. Who the hell wants to play in Christmas..?? Especially away from there Families..?? stuck in some hotel.. anyways…. Le Habitant would’ve have been 1st or 2nd place on the eastern Conference if it wasn’t for that stupid ridiculous Christmas road trip.. no excuses i guess..

• mss88 says:

YES because all HABS FANS are delusional and are BIPOLAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Chris79 says:

It would be a total refresh is Muller took over in the next few games… Players would be totally re-energized..

• Bugs says:

Really?
      I think a move like that would leave the players bewildered by the Mickey Mouseness of it, no?

35. HabFanSince72 says:

I have difficulty seeing the link between Molson’s comments and last night’s game.

Molson’s comments have to do with the long term health of hockey in general, and would be as pertinent if we were in the position of the Oilers or the Canucks. He didn’t just go to bat for his team but for a view of the sport.

That the Bruins beat the Habs (much the same way we beat them 3 weeks ago) is a completely different issue.

The only lesson here is that if you lose 5-0 then feel free to take it out on the other team. The league will not only turn a blind eye, they will use the carnage as the centrepiece of their publicity for the next game.

I like how all the pollyannas are scrambling trying to write off last night’s loss as an aberration.

The Habs will be lucky to make the play-offs.

Price has been over-worked as I warned at the middle of the season.
    JM’s system is ill suited for today’s NHL and worst suited for the players the Habs have on the team.
    The Habs players as a whole are too small to compete in this league.
    Because they are too small they are forced to take too many penalties and are getting injured because of it and the system they are playing.

The Habs need to start a rebuild and stop with the illusion that they can be a competitive team while rebuilding. This team is broken, battered and bruised. They are psychologically exactly where they were when Philly beat them in the ECF’s.

There are 7 games left. I predict a 2-5 record in those remaining games. The Habs are probably going to finish 9th or 10th in the East.

• shiram says:

If we win 2 games, we have 91 points. Carolina in 9th position would have to win 7 of their 9 remaining games to pass the Habs. So not likely.

• HardHabits says:

They haven’t clinched a play-off spot yet. People say make the play-offs and anything can happen. Well. That “anything can happen” can happen before the play-offs start.

• shiram says:

No they have not, but the likelihood of the Habs not making the playoffs is very low.
          I thought I clearly explained why it is not likely that we not make the playoffs.

• The Cat says:

The ‘anything can happen’ before the playoffs will carry a few free loser points though.

• GrimJim says:

I did the math and there are four teams that are currently out of a playoff spot that have the potential to end up with more points than Mtl. The magic numbers are: any combination of NJ losses or Mtl wins that equals 4 points means Mtl finishes with more points; Atlanta 6 points; Toronto 6 pts; Carolina 10 points.

• HardHabits says:

I checked it out too and the chances of the Habs missing are very slim. Nevertheless anything can happen tight?

I make no apologies for being a Habs fan. I’d rather see them enter the play-offs in 3rd spot than 8th.

• CHsam says:

It seems like you and I are the only ones who don’t like The System.
      Oh well… I’ll just have to wait and see how deep this team goes now.

• J_P says:

I can’t stand “the system”. I find it ill-suited to the type of players that we have, it’s totally reliant on phenomenal goaltending, and on top of that, it’s ridiculously boring to watch!

HOWEVER, considering all our major injuries, the habs have a half-decent record, and are in playoff position, so it must be somewhat effective.

I think that if JM wasn’t the coach of this team, and we had a more up-tempo, innovative, and forward-thinking type of coach, I think gomez and cammy would be playing much better.

• ZepFan2 says:

Gimme a T…gimme an A…

Repeat after me…ohm…ohm…

:???:
      ————————————————————————
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• HardHabits says:

Dude. If the Habs get shut-out next game the tank is coming out for good.

• ZepFan2 says:

I hope that doesn’t happen, on both counts.

Besides, even if we tanked now, it wouldn’t get us anything that much better.

Like you, it pisses me off how they could come into such an important game with nothing. Let’s hope that’s the last game that happens.
          I just hope they’re as pissed off at themselves as we are!
          ————————————————————————
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• Timo says:

Are you saying what I think you’re saying? Do we need to tank?

• goat_007 says:

If so WTF would it do? It wouldn’t help the draft standings?

• goat_007 says:

I never doubted making the playoffs and all we need is 2 wins before the end of the season with everyone else winning still gives us a 94% chance.. I like our odds. Even if we don’t manage to win another game, the other teams need to be near perfect to jump us.

*I edited my comment it because I confused myself*

• RGM says:

And at the other end are the wannabe-Cassandras who have decided that missing the playoffs is more of a certainty than not, despite the empirical evidence to the contrary. As of today there is a 99.3% probability that the Canadiens will make the playoffs, a virtual certainty at this stage of the season despite the last two games. It is a very good thing for all involved that the closest you get to being a part of the Canadiens organization is an EA Sports game.

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart

• rogieshan says:

“They are psychologically exactly where they were when Philly beat them in the ECF’s.”

I will agree with you on that point. Martin can choose to paint a different picture, but the game last night reopened the wounds.

We don’t have to like the system it employs, but this team remains competitive. Nobody is under any illusion here.

• The Cat says:

Well said I agree. The system is ill suited for the forwards we have, but the D cannot play the type of game that would benefit the forwards. They dont complement each other, and it goes to show that there was no real plan at the onset… But theyll make the playoffs though.

37. rogieshan says:

I just wish Martin would own up to his team’s failings and quit using the “lack of execution” excuse. He never won a cup in Ottawa coaching a talented squad because his teams could never ‘execute’ in the playoffs. That trail seems to follow you, Jacques. Why is that? Because you failed to take into account that emotion is a human quality and to ask your players to suppress it will invariably lead to an overwhelming sense of fear, thus a rupture in your passive-defensive-turn-the-other-cheek system.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Lack of execution isn’t an excuse. It’s actually an indictment. It’s a polite way of saying we sucked.

An excuse would be the ice was too wet, the refs were against us, we had too many injuries, etc …

38. markd9 says:

In the words of the great Samuel Beckett:
    No matter.
    Try again.
    Fail again.
    Fail better.

So let us hope that they take last night’s loss in stride and improve the parts of their game that the Bruins exploited last night. Perhaps they tried to fit too many pieces back into the puzzle at once but at least those pieces are back. I think it’s good for the team to have a brutal wake up call before the playoffs.

39. shiram says:

Lines at practice, apparently.

AK-Gomez-Gionta
    Moen-Plekanec-Cammalleri
    Pouliot-Desharnais-White
    Darche-Halpern-Eller

Eller back on the wing, AK back with Gomez…

• alestar says:

Gotta put Eller back with Moen and AK, they were rockin’ it until all the injuries forced JM to mix up the lines.

Put Eller at center on the top line and stick Gomez on the 4th line…a man can dream, eh?

XXIV…and counting

• shiram says:

Eller is awesome, and he will be a great center. For now though, I’m not so sure he is able to play a good game on the second line center position. Still weird lines, but what else to expect from JM? And usually he is able to pull the team out of a funk with his juggling.
        Saturday will give us the answer.

• rogieshan says:

Back to shuffling the chairs. I see an iceberg ahead…

• habsindepth says:

This will again put Andrei Down. There has been some spring in his step lately, and playing with Eller had been good for him. Most importantly, playing against 3rd-4th opponnent lines has also been good for him. I dont’ understand why you have to break a line that works.

Also, Eller back on the wing, when he clearly showed in the past 10-15 games that he works well as a center?

Moen is not a second line player! but then again, who do we have for that spot, no one. Pouliot plays fail-hockey everytime they bump him up besides Gomez or Plekanec.

===================================
      Beantown Humiliation: http://bit.ly/g4USsr
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hidpage

40. habs001 says:

look with the exception of a few games the habs games come down to one goal games…which team gets that important goal at the right time…it is rare when we dominate a team…the game we lost to the sabres people were saying we played bad but the reality is that we have played exactly the same way in other games and we won and posters were all giddy about our performance…our last win in atlanta or vs the panthers were not any better but we won…this is what this team is ,hard working but too many players that are in the average category and the nhl is full of this types…the system they use we may not like but it works for this type of roster…if we played the islanders or leafs in the playoffs the games would not be any different than playing the bruins,pitts etc…

To G-Man (because of that useless 5 post limit)…

So what are the rules? Is it the team that sets the rules regarding who can or cannot access their players? I mean if the question was posed in a tactful way yet still in essence asked “how can you justify cashing your paycheck while not producing all year” would a journalist who asked it really be banned?

I think NHL has some penalties or something related to lack of access to players or what not. What would it say about the team and/or a player if they pulled someone’s access privilages just for calling spade a spade?

42. JD_ says:

Busy.

What’d I miss?

Tough game. Sat through to the bitter end although admittedly gestured towards the remote after the double-shortie. That one was truly painful on so many levels.

Some teams liftin’ the strongest parts of their game headin’ into the home stretch. Habs seemingly not among them this week. You can’t fire on some cylinders movin’ into or once in the playoffs.

O-zone becomin’ the nO-zone. Against a tightened D, the forwards are sputterin’. Add a goalie like Miller or Thomas, back in 2009 form, and perimeter hockey is even toastier than it normally is.

The Mara bit with Recchi was compellin’. Curious to know what thoughts the Beard shared with him. Have to think Recchi got a bit carried away durin’ that radio interview, perhaps in an ironic parallel to how the victim at the center of the whole story got equally carried away durin’ a radio interview a few months ago.

On a positive note, must be fun to be a Broonz fan today. At least somebody’s havin’ a good time. Gettin’ so utterly owned as a Habs fan – I mean, the scoresheet is just riddled with Broonz-you-love-to-hate – gives one the opportunity to truly savour how great it can be when the tables are turned.

Could be worse. Could be eatin’ hand-breaded KFC®. Urgh.

What’s there not to love about this sport?

Good times™.

• Propwash says:

It sucks that the Habs got their arses handed to them when the B’s started to actually play hockey. Not a good omen imho.

• JD_ says:

Although it doesn’t bode well, I can live with it because I get to watch a hockey game rather than a circus sideshow.

In the end, and to reiterate a tired cliche, the unpredictability of the playoffs is why the teams play the games.

• Propwash says:

That is true, once the playoffs start, the regular season means squat. Personally, I think the Habs will make the playoffs and now are just jockeying for position.

• HardHabits says:

Since 1994 when the Conference format was introduced only two teams that were not top 5 over-all won the Cup.

1995 The Devils at 9th over-all in a shortened year.
          2009 The Penguins at 8th over-all, the year after they went to the finals where they were 4th over-all.

Every other team was top 5. All of them. Yes one day another team not in the top 5 will win. Chances are in the next 10 years that at least 9 of the 10 champs will have been top 5.

The predictability of the play-offs is that the Cup will go to a team in the top 5 and if not it’ll be a top 10 team. That is an almost certainty. What is a very high probability is that a small team like the Habs that is showing it’s cracks at the end of the year is looking too weak, tired and beat up to even make the play-offs.

• Propwash says:

Stranger things have happened though, I’m not going to throw the team under the bus. Remember a couple of years ago the team was first in the east, and got bounced in the first round of the playoffs, and last year, barely squeaked into 8th place and went through two rounds before collectively running out of gas.

• JD_ says:

I know one thing for certain: There are absolutely no certainties in life.

In very recent history, the Flyers went to the finals on the back of a shootout victory. The Oilers played in game 7 of the finals despite seedin’ last.

Ebb and flow.

Kinda like fan emotions after a brutal week.

Truth be told, I haven’t had any expectation of the Habs winnin’ anythin’ for longer than I care to remember. Didn’t in ’86 nor in ’93. I most certainly have not been watchin’ them play this year with my fingers crossed.

I enjoy the sport and dig cheerin’ for my team. I also get a kick out of dumpin’ on the Loafs, regardless of what they do. That’s how I roll and have done so over almost four decades of Habs fandom.

Stanley Cups are just gravy. Habs win, I’ll be at the parade. Habs don’t win, I’ll still tune in next season.

“Geoff Molson went to bat for his team big time, McGuire said. In addition to the public letter after Zdeno Chara’s unpunished hit on Max Pacioretty, Molson exerted a lot of pressure and expended much political capital at the top levels of the NHL.”

Well, then the only thing hope happens is that Geoff Molson takes this as a personal insult and does something about it. (say, swallows about 20 million or so and buys some of these overpaid stiffs out. Really, what’s 20 mil for this guy? Operational expense, he can write it off to lower his taxes)

44. ed lopaz says:

“On CKAC, play-by-play man Martin McGuire, who knows his stuff, said one of the worst aspects of last night’s game was the embarrassment of the Canadiens owner.”

I think Martin Mcguire could learn a few things from Geoff Molson,
    and one of them would be how to “lead”.

Molson has done his job perfectly, writing the letter and exerting the pressure via Gauthier at the meetings.

Molson also has the poise, the experience, and the commitment, not to be “embarrassed” by last night’s game.

I have seen some great leaders take it right on the chin watching their teams go down in flames; they don’t even blink, or change
    their facial expression 1 bit.

Leadership means “digging in”, “bouncing back”, living to play another day.

Maybe some of us fans are embarrassed, and the fan in Geoff Molson is upset.

But as the owner, he is standing tall today.

I guarantee it.

• observer says:

Yeah right! It sure helped releasing the exact details of Pacioretty’s injury so that Campbell would suspend Chara! When they NEVER release any info immediately about any injury except “upper body” or “lower body” which tells you nothing. AND it backfired on them because Campbell saw through their pathetic move!

45. Bugs says:

I’m lookin for the “angry child” Boone article y’all are referrin to. Where is it?

46. Chris79 says:

Pierre Mcguire had fun last night… TSN.. EVERYONE..!!.. except RDS and we.
    We Seriously need and Montreal based English Broadcast team…
    If CJAD had a Broadcast.. wow.!! be totally awesome..

• observer says:

CJAD announcer Moffett a real homer is a terrible hockey announcer BUT he is a worse football announcer(” kisses the carpet” a phrase he repeats 55 times every game on QB sacks of the opponents QB or whenever he can use it). But he is sports director of that station, probably related to one of the owners, and he gives himself both jobs.

47. observer says:

Come April 12 this blow-out defeat will be completely forgotten and irrelevant. There will be a complete reversal of performance tomorrow night by the Habs – GUARANTEED! This is today’s pro sports by the millionaires who play it.

48. HabFarmer says:

Honestly, the worst part of this I think most of us will agree is the embarrassment. And if we as fans are embarrassed, then think of how the players feel. Whatever you may think of how much money these guys get paid, most hockey players have pride, and the Habs pride got a serious ass-whuppin’. The acid test now is how they respond – and I think they will. If they don’t then maybe it is time to recalibrate this team in the off season, but I ain’t panicking until it’s time to panic (date and time to be determined).

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

• Timo says:

I am pretty some guys are embarrassed… typically it’s the guys that work the hardest but don’t enough talent. I can guarantee that Gomez or Cammillerri or Gionta could not care less. Nothing that a nice paycheck with lots of zeros can’t cure.

I am sure they will say all the right things to all the same cliche questions they’ll get from the “tough” Montreal media.

• OneTimer says:

“I can guarantee that Gomez or Cammillerri or Gionta could not care less.”

Wow man, how can you even make a statement like this? Are you psychic? Give it up, bro. You are a bitter, bitter man with a vendetta against athletes who make a lot of money.

• HabFarmer says:

Respectfully, I think you might be exaggeratinng a bit. I think Gio and Cammi are proud enough to take this loss for what it is and try to make things better. Gomer is a little harder to read because he’s got that whole, “what me worry?”, vibe. But I think he’s stinging a bit now.

And I have a question (don’t take this the wrong way): if you’re so cynical and fed up with high priced sports personalities why do you care? I mean if you figure they don’t, then why do you? Because you certainly seem to.

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

49. NightRyder says:

I felt almost the same way about last year’s team at this point in the season as I do right now. My thoughts on Gomez (nine goals in his last 106 games) and Gionta (nice third-liner, miscast as a $25M captain) as key cogs and salary-cap munchers fuelled much of my pessimism, combined with a distinct lack of size or infusion of youth and a mind-numbingly boring coaching style designed to navigate through the regular-season grind. I thought big changes were in the offing after we got turfed in round one.
    Down 3-1 to Washington and coming off a pair of humbling losses, we looked every bit the mediocre squad I had become frustrated with. We know the rest, with some Halakian performances and some timely goals carrying us into the semifinals, where we got smacked around by a team that tried to go through us, instead of around us.
    Though we caught lightning in a bottle, getting outshot 45-21 and hanging on like Jeff Van Gundy on Alonzo Mourning’s leg and hoping for the best is not a strategy for long-term success.
    Price could carry us a round or two, but would it surprise anyone if we lost in five games in round one? I see below-average pieces in major leadership (and salary cap) slots. I see a lack of depth. Sadly, I see a lot of key injuries as well.
    This year, I actually have a little more hope for the future, with a franchise goalie, stud young d-man, potential power forward and a handful of other useful pieces in place.
    But we really do have to move beyond the Gomezes and Giontas if we ever want to go four rounds. Regardless of how much the Pollyannas love them.

50. HabsFanInTampa says:

Mention “3-0, 3-0″ to the Bruin fans trolling this site and they’ll shut up.

51. It’s time to start putting this team into an offensive game-plan. If we are such a defensive team, Price shouldn’t be bailing us out night after night.

We’re not a defensive team. Stop telling us the Habs are. Time to let the offensive players play within a system that helps them, and not suck the life out of them.

• G-Man says:

Hate to tell you this, since you are an admiral and everything, but here goes: the only reason the Habs have had any success in their over one century long existence has been GREAT DEFENSE. Pretending you can play in the offensive end of the rink to be successful is fallacy.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• J_P says:

Im too young to remember the early years, but definitely over the last 20 years, any success the habs have had has been on the back of Great Goaltending. Patrick ROy was the story in 86 and 93. Jose Theodore was the story back in 2002, halak was the story last year, and if we are to get anywhere this post-season, the story will certainly be Carey Price. YOu can say that every team relies on goaltending to win, but the habs are 22nd in the league in goals scored/game, and 19th (11th worst) in the league with regards to shots allowed/game. Seeing as we have great goaltending, why not let the dogs loose and play an attacking/offensive oriented system? The players we have are certainly more adept to playing that style.

• G-Man says:

Letting players do the shortcut thing is what made the Habs with Kovy and Koivu a country club. All players have to be defensively responsible. Peewee hockey will not work against good NHL teams.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• J_P says:

What shortcut thing? I dont know any other teams in the nhl that employ the “clog the middle, let the other team shoot from the perimeter all they want, pray our goalie stops those shots, and pray we can capitalize on our counter-attack opportunities” system.

People will say that the New Jersey devils used to employ that system, HOWEVER, the new jersey devils didnt let you get past the neutral zone, nevermind letting you shoot all you want in the offensive zone.

• G-Man says:

All the successful teams have pressure on the puck carrier, forcing that player to one side or the other. Perimeter shots rarely go in- shots from the slot often go in- that’s why EVERY team protects the middle in fromt of the blue.

When the gap is too large between the forwards and the D, the other team can get in the zone easily. Guess what we have been watching lately.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• HardHabits says:

Team defense? You are sounding like a broken record. Teams need to score and not get shut out. There is less defense with this team than there is offense and the offense is non existent.

Pretending you can play at one end of the rink to be successful is fallacy. You mean playing GREAT DEFENSE then. So you agree that this DEFENSE thing is killing the Habs. You said it yourself, “Pretending you can play at one end of the rink to be successful is fallacy.”

That’s the JM’s problem. He thinks the Habs can win playing in one end of the rink. The defensive zone. Thanks for clarifying that.

• G-Man says:

You can’t win playing offense only. The only team to get away with that was the Gretzky era Oilers. No other team has won playing that way.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• HardHabits says:

You have a better chance of winning playing offense only than playing defense only.

You can’t win 0-0 games but you can win 11-7 ones.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

I hearya. Also, if it weren’t for Price’s extraordinary play this season, we’d probably be dead last in the standings. I feel bad for the kid sometimes.

52. shiram says:

So the team, and it’s fan got a good cold shower last night.
    The emotion with the Bruins, the playoffs looming in the near-future, the players back from injury.

Well let’s see our boys rise back up, as they need to do. They need to get into that playoff mentality, and play smart hockey.
    Discipline, discipline discipline. Penalties kill us, they suck out the momentum, they make it so the team cannot generate offence, and it builds frustration.

53. HalifaxHabs says:

Terrible game last night as we all know… the only thing worse is Boone’s writing and thoughts on it.

Boone is coming across today like an angry child.

Remember when the playoffs start and we get a few wins going, you can write an article about how you were over the top dramatic today, and how silly you seem now looking back on it.

Like I said in an earlier post, relax, and we’ll see how the next few games go before you start dusting off the golf clubs.

• Timo says:

“Remember when the playoffs start and we get a few wins going…”
      well, then we’ll talk.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I hear ya Timo and I agree… we will chat about it either way, you know it

I just feel that the season isn’t finished yet, and Boone’s writing today reminds me of an angry poster… agree or disagree?

• Timo says:

It’s ok though. Boone’s a fan, like all of us, and he is writing a blog, so why restrain himself? This is my constant knock on supposedly “brutal” Mtl media – same politically correct cliche BS questions. Nobody is willing to call out players to their face, no one is willing to confront players for sucking while getting paid ridiculous amounts of money.

I am not saying that Boone would either, but I understand the venting.

• HalifaxHabs says:

You are right, for sure, about no one willing to confront players about their play… so the minute I see Boone do that, I’ll change my point of view.

I just like when my media gives me facts and asks tough questions, instead of telling me how I should feel, on a Montreal Canadiens fan site. Take a lesson from Stubbs in that regard.

I guess the reason it rubbed me the wrong way was because it’s posted on the site like a journalist, but it’s written like an angry poster.

All that being said, I love this site, and Stubbs, and Boone and Mio for all the work they put in…. it’s just an emotional morning I guess.

• G-Man says:

The moment a journalist “confronts” any player in this league is the moment that journalist and their media outlet no longer has access. You cannot have a journalist behave like that and expect the team (any team) to cooperate.
            I can imagine what Chris Nilan would say and do to a reporter that called out a Mats Naslund, say, or a Bobby Smith. That reporter would wake up a few days later wondering where he is.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• OneTimer says:

What? A blowout game against a better, healthier team isn’t the apocalypse? ;)

• G-Man says:

Remember, Boone is a commentator and not a “journalist.” 2 different animals those. A journalist has no opinion and reports the facts. A commentator spouts nothing but opinion, like what I am doing right now.

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

54. Hobie Hansen says:

If Markov was just taking alight skate with zero plans to return, wouldn’t he just be wearing track pants, skates and hockey gloves? I’m not saying he’s participating in full practices or anything but I think he’s testing things out and contemplating taking a chance at coming back this season! Only a guess!

55. The Cat says:

I just noticed the Markov picture…….Serenity now serenity now…

56. rocketsglare says:

The Boston game is not the end of the Habs season. There are still
    7 games remaining in this season for this team to secure a playoff
    position. The Habs control their own destiny and can finish in 5-6th
    place. Get it done boys!

• The Cat says:

Itd be a collapse of epic if not quasi-biblical proportions for the habs to not make the playoffs.

• Bugs says:

Oh, we can still finish 3rd, baby.
      By “controlling our destiny” like GANGbusters, knowumsayin?

57. matrags says:

Where have you gone Andre Markov , Habs Nation turns its lonely eyes to you, Whats that you say Josh Georges, Andre and I are still a along long long way away…..wo wo wo………

• matrags says:

As for Jeff Molson , his letter was a political one meant to diffuse an overheating fan base .Management dropped the ball with the politically correct statement that the League has spoken.Most importantly however is the fact that the team on the ice failed to respond as patch lay unconsious on the ice , it dropped the ball and by not responding in defence of a team mate the signal was sent and received by the Bruins , the Canadien will not stand up for each other.

58. Bugs says:

Clay, sorry, end of reply chain. Please indulge me.
    Goin into another person’s house and raising sh*te isn’t “puerile”; it’s audacious, perhaps a little cheeky, and maybe borderline offensive.
    But “puerile”? No, sir. Not me.

59. rob_c says:

Does anyone know the initial time frame in which Markov was said to be gone for. I remember hearing season ending… but is it possible if we make the second or third round he could be back. Trying to talk about something besides Gomez and Cammalleri… those two are lost.

60. Clay says:

Hmmm…comment I replied to was modded…so i will delete my post…

__________________________
    The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

61. larisalapointe says:

After sleeping on it, the truth is all of our collective pride is hurt.
    Had this been Florida or Columbus, it would’ve been OK, file it and forget about it.

The next 7 games will decide a lot.

• punkster says:

Oh no you don’t. What kind of a team player are you? You get back in there and whine, moan and bitch like the rest of them. It’s the Habs fan way!!!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Clay says:

You’re just saying that because it’s true… ;)

__________________________

• punkster says:

So many crybabies on here today. And the regular posters are worse than the Bruins trolls for the moment.
          Ya, bad game. Big deal. Move on. Let’s see how they react.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Clay says:

Larisa makes a valid point to explain it though…”our collective pride is hurt”. She’s right – that was a painful loss. Not the end of the world though, I agree…

__________________________

• The Cat says:

The people got to talk about something punkster.

• Timo says:

Well, the had a bad game against Buffalo, so “let’s see how they react”. The reaction was on display last night. I don’t know about you (cause I could always be wrong) but I don’t think they reacted well. They could have reacted better.

• larisalapointe says:

Oops wrong place.

• larisalapointe says:

I’ll try P-ster….how about….Gomez is overpaid and JM has big ears. That’s the best I can do for now. LOL

• OneTimer says:

It hurts, because it was against the Bruins and this game was really hyped. But after thinking about it, I think I’d be much more upset if we had lost a really close game, on a single bad goal or bad call. The Habs just gave up after 4-0, simple as that.

62. Bugs says:

For the first time in two years, I stopped watching a game afore it was over.
    After 4, it was done. The time to consider if I should stop watching, in popped the 5th, which sealed the deal, and I was out. Watched “Inception” instead.
    The mission itself was uber-cool, but Leo’s relationship with his dead wife killed the pacing of the film somewhat imo, and as much as I like Ellen Page, I thought she was terribly miscast…and she tends to overact a little. Reckon it’ll be an excellent DVD though.
    Anyway, that was my Bos-Mtl game.

• rob_c says:

For the first time in my life I turned the game off. I unfortunately watched a little bit more of the garbage…. I lasted to 7-0 with 5 minutes left I think.

So, Penguins, who are missing 2 of their highest paid superstars (true stars) are fighting for the first in the east, while Habs, with all of their highest paid “stars” in the lineup are sinking closer and closer to being out of playoffs. Boy… I don’t know. Is that right?

• OneTimer says:

Timo, I know you’re giddy with excitement after last night, but pace yourself, buddy! You’re posting at a furious pace! You’ll break your own world records of most consecutive, repetitive posts bashing Gomez, Cammy, and the Habs in general. Slow down!

I hope Gomez and Cammilleri get a day off today. They looked totally banged up last night. Clearly playing injured but soldering through it for the team.

65. GoalieT says:

Painful. And to think that I was recording that game last night. When I got home and was going to play it, my wife looked at me with and ever so slightly shook her head indicating “No. Don’t.”

And so it goes. HUGE games coming up between now and next week Wednesday. I’ve already thrown this last one in the garbage and am moving on to Saturday.

I hope the boys will help me forget too.

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986.

T.

• Timo says:

LOL… my wife does it too when Habs completely blow it. She did it with the NYR game. Yesterday when I got home I turned on TV for my kiddo to watch Sesame Street but since it was recording the game I accidently saw the score. Stop->Delete, done and over with.

• Clay says:

I bet Elmo still delivered though. Cookie Monster too…they play harder than the Habs, and never take an episode off.

__________________________

66. Clay says:

Too many posts spoil the discussion…let people have time on one thread!

And please, for the love of Habs Hockey, put in a “new” post feature like the old (real) HIO had!!!!!!!

__________________________

67. veryhabby says:

Sorry, don’t know where to post this question. But ever since the site has changed, I am unable to read any articles on my BB. I can go to the site, see the articles etc, but can’t click on any of them to open them up and read. Any ideas why? I love this new site, but I go on it mostly on my BB and now I can’t anymore. I’m going thru withdrawls! Help

68. shiram says:

First off the practive might happen or not, it’s not said that it will not.
    Second.. last night was aweful, and you have to think the team is better than what was showcased in the last 2 games.

69. J_P says:

No practice? Should be a bag skate, nevermind no practice. 3 games in the last 4 the boys displayed ZERO effort.

70. Hobie Hansen says:

As evil as this sounds, cuz I love Markov and what he’s done for our team but if he gives any indication that he wants to play, put him in there!

If he blows out his knee and ends his career, sign Wisniewski instead this summer.

Might sound rude but this is a business and adding Markov to this team for the playoffs would be huge. If he wants to play, let him play!

• Mark C says:

That’s kind of evil. He is still a long, long, long way away from being able to play, let alone play with some level of confidence about not re-injuring his knee.

• Ton says:

How do you know how he’s progressed. We don’t know therefore don’t guess at it.. I’m with the other post its been almost 6 months plus, the injury may have not been as severe as the original one. If he wants to play let him play, we do pay him 5 mill a year and how many games as he played the last two year??

• Mark C says:

Look, I don’t know how he is progressing. However, based on the media reports he has only just started to lightly skate. Based on that and the fact he has had two major knee operations in the past year, on the same knee. Then, I think we can state he is a long way away from playing NHL hockey games.

Also, it hasn’t “been almost 6 months plus,” Markov had his last surgery on December 8th; he is less than 4 months into his rehab.

• Ton says:

valid but we don’t really know the injury, they do a good job of covering up the extent of it and the surgery. if he’s skating he’s skating for a reason. afterall he could have finished his terapy and he’s ready to skate. he may not be far away.he could have started his skating in June, who knows but if he wants to play and the medical staff clear him does this change your position?

• Mark C says:

Reply to Ton’s post below.

We know Markov’s injury in this case, “for the repair of meniscus and reconstruction, again, of his anterior cruciate ligament”. The meniscus likely isn’t a big deal, but reconstructing the ACL for the second time in seven months is a long-term rehab, we’re talking months to over a year of rehab before playing in NHL games. It’s been three and a half months since he went over the knife. He has just starting the hockey portion of his rehab; he is still long way away from playing in lives games.

Maybe he could come back in the playoffs; if he did it would be nothing short of miraculous.

71. HABZ24 says:

no practice today? ya habs have been playing awesome latley scoring so many goals at the top of their game, why practice. lost 9 nothing last two games cant even put a bloody puck in the net once. i think its easier to tank a few games slip to 7th place and play the caps in 1st round rather then play boston.

72. G-Man says:

Can any of the moderators rid us of the Boston Trolls?

2011 is the Year of the Hab (can I still say that?)

• habitual says:

Ignore them, G-Man. They will either go away or cease to be a concern for us.

• KenD29 says:

ah leave them here. It will be fun when the playoffs start and when the B’s begin to falter as they typically do in the playoffs, where all these trolls will be!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Whats the point? they don’t IP ban here so they will just keep making new accounts and coming back. DeanDalley has been banned like 12 times and he just keeps coming back saying and doing the same stuff. Then you have Bugs who goes to the Bruins blog and trolls them for hours on end, which has brought them all here to return the favor. This place is going downhill fast.

• Clay says:

I agree…Bugs (and others) are the reason they come here, and the reason I don’t mind them here. But it’s just puerile on both ends…
        However, responding to the trolls is not smart, to say the least.

__________________________

• Bugs says:

“Puerile”??? First off, I’m anything but puerile (I’m assuming you know what that word means.)
          Secondly, if the B-trolls come here on account of me, it’s probably because I’m NOT puerile. Unless you honestly think they go through the process of getting an HIO id JUST to say “No, YOU’RE a poo-poo head!” the way I do all the time?
          C’mon. Gimme SOME credit, Clay. They come here to get back at my Hab-oriented elitism and smarm, not my puerility.

• Clay says:

Bugs my man, no offense meant. I have respect for your particular brand of wit and wisdom to be sure. Very entertaining, usually intelligent, and I am sure you are the king of (elitist) smarm. I just don’t like going into another persons house and raising shyte is all…just the way my mother raised me. – even if they are Boston fans (hard to believe they actually exist, but I actually know one…)

And…I would never use a word if I didn’t know what it meant.

__________________________

• J_P says:

Well considering how many of us go on NESN and mess with their polls and leave comments, I think it’s only fair.

You can always just ignore them. Personally, I just like to revert to the 3 main things to rub in their faces:
      -Habs have won 24 cups, the bruins have won 5
      -the bruins last cup win was almost 40 years ago, and the habs have won 6 stanley cups since the bruins won their last one.
      -The bruins coughed up a 3-0 series lead (I think only the third team in nhl history to do so), including a 3-0 lead in game 7, in the playoffs last year, while the habs made it to the ECF.

They don’t really have any answers for those comments.

Cheers!

73. Mark C says:

Love seeing that Markov is out there. I am 100% convinced that Montreal must take the injury risk and re-sign Markov.

74. higginrs says:

Man, I wish Markov was back. But better to rest him until he’s fully recovered and at full strength. DO NOT hurry him back. Look at Cammy, he isn’t skating the same since his leg injury last year and is hardly puckhandling or shooting like he can since his shoulder injury.

I called it last night – no practice to day. Little darlings need to rest. Maybe a trip to strippers later on to help with some potentially bruised egos. On the other hand, what egos?

76. ClaytonM says:

This was worse, just when you factor in the last boston game and the playoff race we’re in with them. Same disparity in emotion / heart as the Detroit game, same way the Habs were bent over and violated too, but to have it done by an enemy instead of a mild acquaintance makes it sting more.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

77. Bugs says:

The game we lost Saku to Justin Williams’ high stick should be up there too.
    We woulda beaten the Caners…

78. habstrinifan says:

I agree with you that the HABS as constitued are to small and need to get bigger… but that’s in the future and I think it will happen.

I also agree with you that last night the habs were not in the same league as the Bruins either in size or (on paper) in talent.

But here is my point. The ‘system’ of play employed by the habs where they basically depend on their goaltender stealing a point is, in the long run, very defeating organizationally and contributed to the ‘scared’ feeling. The team knew that they couldnt go toe to to with the Bruins physically. They also have so submerged their individuality and style and offensive flair that NOT ONE player in that room had confidence in their team to ‘outplay’ the Bruins. No player could look around the room and GARNER HOPE AND INSPIRATION FROM A STAR in their midst… unless that star was gonna be the goaltender. And this is what has happened to Montreal hockey. We have stoped developing our STARS. Heck, today, not only do we have to suffer thru that god-awful loss but we have to live thru the reports of SK and Grabokski strutting their stuff.

People talk about this being a puck possession team. Where? They talk about us using our speed. How often do we ‘dominate’ a game using that speed. Most of our games have had one inescapable feature. A superstar goalkeeping performance leading a harried team to a narrow one goal victory.

79. punkster says:

Yes I still say that. Watch and learn.
    No argument with Gretzky’s comment. Read the entire interview. Very telling.

***Subbang Baby!!!***