Lineup changes

AMC11 0418 Habs 10

Jacques Martin wouldn’t confirm roster moves beyond saying there’s a “good chance” Jeff Halpern will be in the lineup for Game Four.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reports Benoit Pouliot will join Yannick Weber and Paul Mara as healthy scratches. Morning skate was optional, and Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta, Mathieu Darche, Andrei Kostitsyn and Roman Hamrlik – all presumably nursing knacks – took a pass.

1. ManApart says:

Man some great games last night. Roloson stops 50, and then lets in that terrible goal in 2OT. What in the hell has happend to Stamkos since January? It really has been a collapse on his part.

Massive collapse in NY. Torts must have died a little inside from that one. This Caps team has a lot more character and guts than last year’s edition.

Corry Perry is an animal against Nashville. 8 points in the last 3. That’s a very entertaining series. Probably the most fun one to watch so far.

Poor Phoenix. Had a very successful regular season and can’t even win a game. They don’t even know where they’ll be next season, and are scared to death they’ll have to move from Sunny Phoenix to Canada’s version of Siberia, Winnepeg. Detroit is the epitome on how to run an organization. Think I heard the other day, they are the current leader in consecutive playoff years, at 20, among all professional sports. A contender every year.

2. joshua94k says:

The Montreal Canadiens played Boston Bruins in Game 7 exactly 3 years ago on April 21. The Canadiens won 5-0!

Go HABS Go!

3. ManApart says:

Had a dream last night that the Habs lost in game 2 to the Sharks 7-2. You know what that would mean. Premonition?

4. habs03 says:

Looks like Pricey is breaking in some new pads, can get some pics please.

5. king ddd says:

stupid mike richards. what an ass. maybe the sabres should teach him respect by beating them

GO HABS GO! GO HAWKS GO!

6. Willy says:

7PM can’t get here soon enough!!

7. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Whoever scores first is gonna be important. For some reason Montreal always plays better after they score first.

8. HabsPEI31 says:

Our father, who art in Centre Bell,
    Hockey be thy name.
    Thy will be done, the Cup be won
    On ice, as well as in the stands.
    Give us this day our hockey sticks
    And forgive us our penalties
    As we forgive those who cross-check against us.
    Lead us not into elimination
    But deliver us to victory.
    In the name of the fans,
    Lord Stanley and the holy Habs.
    Amen.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

9. HabFanSince72 says:

Timmy’s getting pulled tonight.

Only question is when.

I say 5-10 min into the second period after he lets in number 4.

Which is too bad because he’s a Bruin you could actually like. He’d play the role of the human in the Bruins’ xmas production of Planet of the Apes on Ice.

10. Bugs says:

Does Halpern put one in tonight?

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

11. LA Loyalist says:

Here’s the actual link to the Jack Todd article on Gomez:

I know most of you hate Todd, but how anyone can possibly justify Scott Gomez actually being on the ice in any capacity short of shoveling off the snow during TV time-outs is beyond comprehension.

Good luck tonight guys!

• RGM says:

The score in Game One without Gomez being on the ice is 0-0. Just sayin’. I’ve been pretty critical of him throughout this season but he has played very well since the playoffs started.

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart
      Support my playoff beard: http://www.beardathon.ca/english/RGM81/profile.aspx

• G-Man says:

Yup. Gomez will keep on sucking through the 2nd round and maybe the 3rd…

• LA Loyalist says:

Gomez is what, 33% on face-offs?

My 8 year old is 70%. Of course my kid practices, maybe that’s the difference.

• I’m sure your 8 year old is also facing off against Patrice Bergeron…. You’ve really been on the cutting edge of ridiculous comments lately.

• HabsoluteFan says:

• LA Loyalist says:

The problem is I’m old enough to remember when Montreal Canadiens played hockey in the other team’s end.

• Another problem is that you’re so blinded by bias and nostalgia you don’t realize we’ve spend a larger part of the season in the opponent’s end than our own, and dominated puck possession all year.

That and of course you’re obsessive clinging to the past makes you desperate for a team that can’t exist in today’s NHL. There’s never going to be another Canadiens team like the one in the 70’s, it’s better if you just try to come to terms with it instead of posting infantile rants every day.

• citizenSanto says:

is that a douche bag on your head?

…………………………………………………
          Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
          Augustine of Hippo

One area the Habs need to improve on if they hope to win this series is their brutal faceoff record. Here are the series stats so far.

Boston – Bergeron (65%), Krejci (55%), Kelly (52%) and Campbell 41.5%)

Montreal – Eller (50%), DD (46%), Pleks (45%) and Gomez (33%).

Jeff Halpern led the Habs this year with a 57% average. That fact alone should be enough to get him into the rest of the series.

24.2 Cups

13. derfab says:

Halpern for the face-offs perhaps, but Pouliot did alright the first 2. I like White and Pouliot for their energy. Pouliot would up his game after taking heat for game 3

14. punkster says:

Just listened to the Campbell interview. His repetitive “No. no, no, no…” when he is backed into a corner, the ridiculous explanation of the Torres incident and his wishy-washy explanations of head hits really says it all about this league.

This guy is definitely in the Nathan Thurm class of idiot.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

15. Iceberg84 says:

Comforting thought of the day courtesy of the NHL: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31154

Teams have trailed 2-0 in a best-of-seven series a total of 291 times and have come back to win the series on 37 occasions or 12.7% of the time.

In other words, if history is on our side, Montreal has an 87.3% chance of winning!

• habsindepth says:

Boston hasn’t comeback on 26 occasions, but who cares, it’s not the current Boston team that faced a 2-0 situation in the playoffs before. It’s good for the Habs fans, makes us all feel “statistically optimistic”. For the Bruins fans, 12.7% of the time, teams have come back, so they’ll be hoping that this Bruins team will part of that small percentage.

Regardless of all this, a win tonight will take the series farther from Boston’s reach… but Montreal will have to win one more. A loss tonight on the other hand can be devastating.

Montreal will simply have to make sure to keep that over-confidence in check and play a solid 60 minutes of hockey! I’m confident that the Habs will come back for a win and we can wrap this series up soon.

===================================
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth

• marshx says:

screw stats. Go out and play like you did in the first 2 games, we are faster and more skilled when we want to be. Make “The big bad b’s” chase us around all night, Chara will get spun into the ground like a top.

• habsindepth says:

Oh and to add to that.. Bulldogs are now 2-2 after going up 2-0 against the Oklahoma City Barons. They lost last night’s game by 5-2 as well and were missing Palushaj. (Game recap here: http://bit.ly/gloCli)

===================================
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth

16. Matthew says:

Does anyone know where I could watch the game on the Internet?

17. nek25plus says:

Don’t like Halpern on the wing…if he is not up to playing centre then live Pouliot in. Mcdonaugh makes big errors in N.Y nightly…by all means put him in the press box!

18. Chris79 says:

F*** all these Habs beens.. all these young players that Montreal gave them a chance to Develop.. and not appreciate it…. The hell with’em.

19. Mattyleg says:

“Maybe I should introduce you to my wall of trophies.” = my new favourite HI/O quote.

Pretty much sums up some of the ‘experts’ we have on here!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. oshawahabsfan says:

Just listened to the Cybalski and Co. interview with Colin Campbell on TSN’s website. As if we needed any more proof that Campbell is unfit for the job, just listen to some of his responses. I applaud James for actually having balls and prodding him with the questions that he likes to dance around and not answer him. Hearing Campbell defend Torres is just sickening, it’s hard to find a more stupid person in sports with such a position of power

• Jordio-oh says:

Yeah i listened to that this morning. Campbell came off as such a baby. He can’t defend any of the criticisms of the league with any reason. Instead, he just whines about how hard his job is because he constantly makes unpopular decisions.

• Chester says:

Not really, just look at his boss if you want a perfect example of stupidity.

• higginrs says:

I listened to the interview also and found Campbell’s responses completely inadequate.

1. He begins unprofessionally by criticizing how the interviewers had just interviewed Bettman. He said, “I don’t like the direction you guys went.” And then he goes on to say that they have a “direction” that they are going to take him. Interviewing with a purpose… hmmm… what an idea!

2. He gets flustered after even just a few questions, showing his loosely reigned temper. A few simple questions rattle a guy in charge of a very important aspect of the NHL! Wow, I thought a little emotional control would be the kind of character you would look for in an important leader in your organization.

3. His reasoning is all over the map and he never really answers the questions. This is to be expected from someone being political, as I’m afraid so many leaders tend to be. But he refuses to step up to the plate and use actual objective, concrete reasoning for his decision making process in handing out suspensions.

Campbell and Bettman are two very disappointing leaders for the NHL. I hope their time comes soon and that their replacements have some good character.

21. kakey says:

OT: It would be amazing if they drop the horn sound after a goal like they do in every generic NHL arenas and just let the crowd roars for 15 seconds, then play this goal song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfTpGKJqROY

22. Maksimir says:

OUCH! Here’s a confidence builder for a Bruins Kaberle from their GM:

“He hasn’t played up to the level we expected,” Chiarelli told the station. “I think what’s happened is there have been parts of his game, when you haven’t been in the playoffs in awhile, that have stuck with him. We expected him to be better.”

23. falconea says:

Habfan4life what trophies have you won?

24. samTHEman says:

I had a bad feeling before last game that we would lose in front of home crowd…Why do I have that same feeling again? We never win when I feel confident before a game so maybe that’s a good sign. Reverse psychology

~Kiss my ass Lucic!!!!

25. krob1000 says:

600 wins…whoopee…Ron Wilson, Bryan Murray and Pat Quinn are all ahead of Martin in career wins as a coach…how would anyone feel if any of them landed the Habs job?

26. TINMAN17 says:

That picture sucks, Pouliot should have kept the gloves on and let himself get punched in the face and went down. That way he would have at least got the matching penalties, his 2 for charging, theirs 2 for roughing. I like the guy, but damn this Houdini act in each of the last two playoff seasons, just maddening. I love hindsight by the way.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

27. TINMAN17 says:

If the boys win tonight, who thinks it’s over on Saturday night? If the boys lose tonight, who thinks what then?

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

28. patience is a virtue says:

Still the blah blah about Moore and Metro being better than Halpern? We’ll see how quickly he can get back into game shape, but even so, he’s an upgrade at the dot, in the d-zone, and for leadership over those two. Hard to beat for 500K. He’s the consummate role player. Watch him take over for Eller in match ups vs. Kretji

Moore would be here for his 3rd line offensive leadership if he wasn’t asking too much. Metro, well, he had some good offensive moments, but did not bring nearly as much as Jeff has this season.

29. Dennis says:

Jack Todd’s article is right on the money. Sometimes I disagree with him, but not this time.

When I’m owner/stickboy, things will be different.

• HabFanSince72 says:

So you agree that JM put Gomez on the ice in the final minute(s) of game 3 because Gomez gets paid $8M?

In other words, Martin is thinking to himself, well I should really play Plekanec or Desharnais in this situation, but Gomez earns more than the two of them put together so I will choose him instead.

Do you think that captures Martin’s thought process?

Because that’s Todd’s argument.

30. I called the Game 1 2-0 win.
    I called Game 2 a 3-2 win (ended 3-1).
    I called the Game 3 a 4-2 loss

I call tonight a 5-3 HABS WIN.

31. Chris79 says:

I believe…

32. Cable Guy says:

I was hoping to have Weber in. He played great the one game he did play, has a strong shot from the point. I think it’s a mistake leaving him out at this point.

• Habfan4lfe says:

I agree with you but seriously, I give up. JM is so out to lunch it’s unbelievable. I thought he played an excellent the game too, but clearly not enough to JM’s satisfaction. Pouliot sitting, saw that coming as soon as he got the penalty. Hoping for the best tonight regardless of JM’s idiotic decisions.

• shiram says:

Just saying… That “idiot” lead a team plagued to injury to a great record, in fact their second best since the lockup, and his performance in the series as the Habs coach as been pretty great.

• G-Man says:

Don’t bother. No matter what you say, the JM-should-be-fired club will disagree. No amount of facts will sway them.

• shiram says:

I’ll definately agree that sometimes his calm demeanor, and
            garded way of talking are frustrating, he also takes decision that puzzle me, but overall he has done a good job.
            I can understand how people dislike him, he is not very personable, but overal I don’t care about that, as long as he gets results.

• Habfan4lfe says:

Ya of course, team wins it’s because of coach only. Nothing to do with the jm-fired-clan or nothing. JM is a useless coach his strategy sucks, his treatment of players sucks and his coaching history sucks too. Fired from how many teams? But then again, what do I know, 25 years approximately in competitive hockey. A wall of trophies. Ya.. naturally I don’t know what I’m talking about but some coach potato stat spewing monkey knows. Maybe I should introduce you to my wall of trophies. Oh and a Hab fan and follower for nearly 40 years. Yes. Please tell me how JM is so good. Lord oh lord.

Ya Subban is going to sit there and put JM down. Are you for real man?

• G-Man says:

Maybe you should realize what a good job JM has done despite 2 seasons of missing his best Dman. Maybe you should listen to Subban saying he has had his confidence boosted by this coach.
            Maybe your wall of amateur trophies means jack sh!t.

• el heffe says:

600 wins. 600 wins. 600 wins

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• shiram says:

I never said the team won only because of him, but to say he was a negative factor on the team is not very accurate, if only for the fact that we have no internal knowledge of what’s going on with the team.
            Unless you wanna go by what Big Georges Laraques said

His strategy did not suck last year in the playoffs when we managed to outplay 2 better ranked team, (yes Halak I know, but he was not the sole reason either, the coach’s strategy protected the goalie).
            I’m guessing by coaching history that sucks you means that he is missing a Cup, as if not for that, he still has 4 division championships, and a great overal win/loss record.
            As far as I know he was fired once.

But after reading your post, I have to wonder why you don’t have his job, if he is that bad, and you so good?

• el heffe says:

is one of those many many trophees for eating the most crow? because i have a feeling you can eat the shit out of some crow

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• el heffe says:

Does anyone know the stats Martin put up in Ottawa? You know when the Senators were a goaltender away from back to back cups? just sayin…i think the Martin hater should read more and spend less time polishing poutine cups

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• HardHabits says:

You have a wall of trophies so that makes you an expert? Hilarious.

I admit that I hate Martin’s system because it is devoid of any offensive creativity but that was supposed to be worked on this season, however injuries put a halt to that process and the Habs went back to defense 1st. I bemoan it, but I begrudgingly accept it as well. Why? Because it works. Look at Washington and Pittsburgh and tell me what system they are using after losing to who last play-offs. Martin was looking like a Jack Adams candidate before the Habs got decimated by injuries this season. He’s already won that once and I am sure that that one little piece of hardware trumps your wall of trophies. But I digress. The Habs are supposed to be 12th in the East according tot he pundits yet they captured 6th. In fact they were only a few wins away from 3rd. They also now lead that 3rd place team 2-1 in a 1st round series with a home game tonight.

Habfan4lfe, you made a useless post. Your logic sucks, your analysis or lack thereof sucks, your syntax and writing style sucks too.

You get real dude!

• HabFarmer says:

Dude, your kids Timbits medals don’t count, right?

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

• Chuck says:

Like starting Price? ;)

33. Habitoban says:

Nice photo caption Mr. Boone. Never miss an opportunity to get a poke in.

34. twocents says:

“Photo of Benoit Pouliot, doing something that might be construed as useful, by Allen McInnis of The Gazette.”

Boone, that’s very good stuff. Broad smile inducing in fact.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Mike Richards got a 5 min elbowing penalty last night, at the worst possible time (3rd period, down 1-0, when the Phlyers appeared to be getting the upper hand). It was a pretty clear elbow to the face.

Here’s the Philly reaction:

“I thought maybe 2 minutes,” Mike Richards said in the losing locker room last night. “To make a call like that, it’s personal maybe. Not sure.”

” It pretty much came down to ‘Richie’ protecting himself.” – Kris Verseteeg

“It looked like he was getting run and got his arm up,” said Peter Laviolette, while adding that he didn’t get a clean look at the replay. But, said Laviolette, “I didn’t see any intent there” to warrant a 5-minute major.”

36. notjusttrash says:

My friend came up with this and it’s been slowly doing the rounds on some other blogs and twitter, I absolutely love it myself. Keep Calm and Carey On. http://9to5.cc/blog/2011/04/15/keep-calm/ Hopefully we can keep saying it all the way until we’re hoisting the Cup. Then we can freak out :)

Halpern is going to be key if he can start beating Bergeron in the faceoff circle, how many times in Game 3 did we have to get the puck off the Bruins before mounting any offense because Bergeron was dominating off the draw? Our resident faceoff specialist could be a HUGE (if subtle) factor.

• Tony McLean says:

It’s all down to Price. If he pinches out two plums like the second and third goals in game three he sinks the ship. If he plays as he did in the first two games CH are close to being a lock and all good things follow.

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” – Red Fisher on the Jaroslav Halak trade.

• observer says:

He made a mistake(and immediately recognizrd he had), he didn’t see Horton there – judging by how Price learned from his past goaltending problems, he’ll not make that mistake again.

• el heffe says:

Exactly! finally a post that focuses on the reality of the circumstance. Price has bailed us out all freaking year, he’s at or near the top in every bloody goaltending category there is and people still shit on him for a mistake, a simple mistake, he knows he screwed up….just relax

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• HFX-HabFan says:

Meanwhile, Jaro Halak is repeating his playoff performance of 2010 with the St. Louis Blues….oh wait…shoot…

37. Maksimir says:

I think tonight’s game will define the series winner… both teams should be fully prepared and ready to go… if there aren’t any really unlucky bounces then its going to be a hard fought win for someone… hopefully our Habby’s…

38. el heffe says:

Halpern, a guy many many folks deemed a terrible signing when PG picked him up. A guy people said was a half-rate replacement for Moore etc…My money is on Halpern being a difference maker in the conclusion of this series. And hey…he might even win a faceoff or two.

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• Tony McLean says:

Metropolit was better.

• el heffe says:

true. Metropolit was better…but we have Halpern

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• Tony McLean says:

Sad comment if people think he is a key player. 11 goals. Tiny. We gave up six players better than him the last 2 years. Including Moore and Metropolit. CH won the first two games with a terrible faceoff presence. Price, Gionta, AK46, Pleky, PK and power play are key.

• shiram says:

Halpern is a guy making the league minimum, that came here and people were already ready to throw him out with the bathwater. What we saw from him was a steady defencive mindset, good offencive pinching when opportune and a great faceoff winner. He also shone on the pk. He might not be a key player, but he definately fulfills his role on the team.

He also was captain of hockey team, and I’m sure his leadership skills have come into play this season. And his overall hockey expenrience is quite great as well.
            Again as I said, for the league minimum we got a great deal in Halpern this season.

• el heffe says:

you should try reading slower…it helps. Halpern will be a difference maker the same way Metropolit, Moore etc… would be a difference maker–in the faceoff circle, or defensive zone, or along the boards with big clears. Halpern was the Captain of he Capitals for a reason. HE MAKES A DIFFERENCE

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• Jordio-oh says:

Yeahm, you’re right. We just gave up those players. Kicked them all out so we could have halpern. That’s definitely what happened…

• observer says:

No he wasn’t.

• Malreg says:

Disagree. Metropolit may have scored more goals, but he wasn’t as good on faceoff’s, on the PK, or defensively.

• Natrous says:

I strongly disagree. Halpern has a more rounded game than Metro, brings the experience of being a captain of the Capitals and US National team, and on a strictly PPG avg as a Canadien, has scored more points than Metro has.

Metro was a glorified Kostopolous who scored goals on the PP due to a lack of a top 6 forward that couldn’t fill the same spot. There’s a reason Metro is playing in the Swiss league, while Halpern is in the NHL (and don’t let the fact that Metro is 2 years older fool you).

• observer says:

For what he cost I don’t think many on this blog said that. At least I never noticed.

39. Maksimir says:

Stubbs just tweeted that Pouilot might be in after all – more injuries…

If he is, maybe this will be a final wakeup call?

• Tony McLean says:

Final for these playoffs maybe (injuries notwithstanding). He’s only 23 and the league is littered with Gainey Gauthier Martin castoffs like Halak, D’Agostini, Sergei, Latendresse, McDonough, O’Byrne, all of whom would be an improvement on several of the current blue chippers.

• slamtherimtim says:

problem is he keeps pressing the snooze button , dumb give away and a dumb penelty for sure , and the alarm will never sound again for him

40. PrimeTime says:

DEANDALLEY WILL BE DISAPPOINTED TONIGHT

Personally I want a win in any shape or form

“Extremism only serves one’s selfish desires”

41. Britton says:

DEANDALLEY WILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS TONIGHT ….
    and use ellipses …. with 4 periods …. lots of times ….