Limping Brisebois can’t answer Isles bell

From The Gazette’s Pat Hickey in Uniondale:

Patrice Brisebois gave his best effort to stay in the Canadiens lineup, but the veteran defenceman faced up to reality after yesterday’s morning skate.

"I can’t go," said Brisebois, who has been hobbling since he was struck in the foot by a shot from Marcel Hossa during the third period of Saturday’s loss to the New York Rangers.

Brisebois participated in a full 90-minute practice Monday, but was limping as he left the Islanders’ practice facility in nearby Syosset. He had another full workout yesterday, but the pain and a lack of mobility ended his chances of playing last night.

"I was okay if I was going straight, but I couldn’t pivot," said Brisebois, who had been back in the lineup for three games after missing 11 games with a shoulder injury. "I hope there’s nothing broken, but it doesn’t feel right."

His absence forced coach Guy Carbonneau to shuffle his lineup. Mark Streit moved back to defence as Roman Hamrlik’s partner, while forward Tom Kostopoulos was back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch for the past two games.

1. Infanteer says:

Well done!

2. jew4jah says:

you are right!

i paraphrased….it was closer to

-be a really nice guy, well liked
    -try your hardest
    -really know your shit

in my boss’s defense, he was an ignorant redneck. in my own defense, i did actually smoke a big bowl of something before writing that post. how’s my defense?

go habs

3. Infanteer says:

I’d say you boss had probably just smoked a big bowl of crack.

How can anyone have the right attitude, but not put in the effort? The right attitude implies one would put in the effort. When’s the last time you heard someone say, “That guy has got such a good attitude, too bad he doesn’t give any effort.”

As for Brisebois having no skills, well, at his best he’s an offensive defenseman. In general, offensive players are not judged as harshly for their defensive game – that’s why the “well-rounded player” is so highly valued. No one ever accused Gretz or Hull of winning too many Selke Trophies

4. jew4jah says:

a boss once told me you need at least 2 of the following 3 in order to keep a job:

1) effort
    2) attitude
    3) skills / knowledge

no question, breezer’s got the first 2, but we hold professional athletes to higher standards than just effort & attitude, they gotta have the skills too. you don’t get a nickname like “Breeze-by” for good defense.

can’t wait to see the boys thrash the thrashers demain soir. gohabs!

5. RetroMikey says:

I still believe Brisebois and Smolinski are going to help us down the stretch big time. I do not question Carbonneau putting them on the 5 on 3 PP against the Rangers. Why not? The coach has to experiment since most teams now are focusing on our Kolavev on the PP! I’m not worried one bit. In fact, I’m more worried about the young guns not producing like Sergei Kostitsyn, Higgins and yes, even Lapierre who can score which he did in Hamilton. In my opinion, Higgins will be a 2 way player on our team, that’s all. Our offensive weapons are Plekanec and the Kostitsyn brothers, who will be our future first line for years to come. I would love to see Alexander Perezhogin come back from Russia next season. This kid can really help us.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

6. Chris says:

I also like Matthias, but as a top scorer in the OHL I figure he’s a well-known commodity. Beleskey just reminded me of another of my favourite recent OHLers, Dustin Brown. Even in a dead game that’s not going well, he never stops skating, hitting or trying. That’s a trait I look for in the OHL, and you usually only find it in the NHL quality players. That being said, I’m more than happy that we passed on Dustin Brown and ended up with Andrei Kostitsyn! 🙂 Its so great to go to the junior games and get a chance to see these guys when they are young and developing…for example, after watching Sergei Kostitsyn dominate the ice for the past couple of seasons, I can now truly appreciate what a steal he was in the 7th round. I’m relatively sure that S. Kostitsyn is going to be a good to very good NHL player.

Now I just need to get to some Kitchener Rangers games to see Yannick Weber play…another Swiss defenceman with offensive prowess! Fortunately, will get a chance to see him at least once at the Memorial Cup this spring.

Ian – Matthias was originally drafted by Detroit and I only point that out because he was traded to Florida (along with a 2nd pick) at the trade deadline last year for Bertuzzi. What a waste that was – I hope that Gainey stays away from shortsighted moves like that this February.

The Original 24 Cups

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

I have never “bashed” Brisebois like some negative posters here, I do however point out mistakes that players may make. I think as a fan we have that right to be frustrated with this aspect of our favorite team. With that said, he makes mistakes and will make more (and so will other players, Huet stay in the net, Gui get the puck in the open net, etc), but having a guy that loves this team (like everyone says he does), in the locker room definitely has to be an asset for this team.

9. Ian G Cobb says:

This was for the bashers of our players that really don’t know the game !!!!

10. westhab says:

Taking pleasure about an injury within another team is bad. Taking pleasure about an injury within the team you call yourself a fan of is just insane.

11. JF says:

Well said, Ian! Brisebois is also a favourite of mine for the reasons you give. I get tired of seeing people put his play under a microscope and bash him for every mistake. As you say, they all make mistakes, and Brisebois’ are not the only ones that prove costly.

12. Ian G Cobb says:

I like Matthias even more, he was drafted by Florida. P.K. is a year younger and the two things you can,t teach is speed and heart. He has both. This junior level is all about coaching and development. If you bring to the table speed , heart and a willing attitude to buy into the program, you have a great shot at being a pro. He has it all and he is a work in progress. One more year in Jr. will tell a storey.

13. Ian G Cobb says:

WOW, just looked at all the i love you Brisebois posters appearing here, thats great, but where were you when he needed you. Think about it the next time one of our players has a poor stretch and you want to dump on him.

I’ll take a big HEART over a big MOUTH everytime !

14. Chris says:

Agree with you 100%.

By the way, Ian…you attended a Belleville-Mississauga game recently, if I recall correctly. What did you think of P.K. Subban? I’ve seen him play three times this season (twice here in Guelph, once in Belleville) and I’m still not completely sold on him. Hope he develops, because he seems like a wonderful personality and the passion is there, but he just doesn’t jump out at me on the ice in terms of his talent. Matt Beleskey, the Belleville forward, on the other hand…I would love if Montreal could pry him away from Anaheim (because seriously, like they need ANOTHER young physical forward with offensive potential!).

15. HABZ 24 says:

breezby out, no loss there.he was a panic pick up anyway.we dont need him in the lineup.doesnt fit in with the youth movement of late.habs skated hard gave good effort vs isles.huet redeemed himself.go habs go.

16. Ian G Cobb says:

Brisebois might not be a # 1 or 2 D , but he is definetly a #1 with me for his leadership in the room and the pride he has playing for us, he gives his best every night and that is all i ask of anyone. It would be very nice if players made no mistakes when on the ice, but then it would not be hockey. It is a game of mistakes, just hope we make less than the other guys !

17. jew4jah says:

as a man, brisebois seems like a 100% stand-up guy. i really respect him. great attitude!
    as a defenseman, well…… i’m happy he’s out of the line up. hopefully it’s for good this time.

18. rogus says:

It’s too bad there aren’t more players with the pride of Brisbois, then we would have a team! Instead we get to deal with guys that should have signed here wondering why we boo them, eh Booere! (Briere) And Vince could play for a winning team too!!