Lightning to strike at home opener

RDS reports the Canadiens will play their 2010-’11 home opener against Guy Boucher and the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday, Oct. 13.

As was the case in 2009-’10, the Canadiens will begin their season in Toronto, on Thurssday, Oct. 7.

Fans may recall the 4-3 win at the ACC last Oct. 1 – notable because:

• Josh Gorges scored the winner with 13 seconds left in OT.

• Georges Laraque fought Colton Orr 1:51 into the season.

• Carey Price made 43 saves; and

• Andrei Markov was injured.

The full schedule will be announced tomorrow.

Here’s a list of home openers.

•  •  •

On Thursday afternoon, while Quebecers are celebrating June 24, Pierre Gauthier will meet the media in Santa Monica on the eve of the draft.

The Canadiens have five picks – 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th rounds.

Carolina has 11 picks, the Oilers and Islanders 10 each.

Anaheim, Atlanta, Boston and Phoenix have two first-round picks.

Calgary, New Jersey, Philadelphia and Toronto have no picks in the first round.

TSN’s Top 75

•  •  •

Shout-out to Watsatheo for this Ian Schultz compilation

26k0RK1h20k

1. BrianSkrudland says:

Perhaps some rum and a sense of team allegiance is to blame for my post, but I do in fact see a great deal in Pleks as a player. At no point did I mention a dollar value in relation to Pleks. Your projections of Plekanec’s point totals seem valid. I would not pay excessively for my loyalty to Plekanec. His value to Cammalleri has yet to be determined though. They seem to click. How do we put a price tag on what that relationship means?

A GM’s job is not easy. We are all hacks, despite our sideline jobs as head honchos.

Don’t give up on Pleks. He’s ballsy. Carter doesn’t seem to have the same spirit. That estimation isn’t just based on the post season.

2. ProHabs says:

Sign him, invite George Laroque to training camp on a tryout and let the Boogyman hammer Laroque and his code

3. ed lopaz says:

I agree with your thought process. I just don’t agree with the decisions. I didn’t agree with letting halak go, I thought we should have given him a chance to play 60 games this year and see how he did. Now Plekanec is gone for nothing and we’re left chasing after other assets that will cost us players and just as much money to replace him.

4. ProHabs says:

I like Pleks and losing him would be tough, especially if he is not replaced. But what I am tired of is the team continuing to lose these big assets for absolutely nothing. They have continued to do that for the last 3-4 years and that is the real reason we are stuck in a rut fighting for the playoffs with 5 other teams each year. I could list at least 7 good players that the team has lost for nothing the last 3 years but I am sure everyone knows the list (Sourey, Komi, etc)

5. HabFanSince72 says:

If the Wild don’t want Boogaard will be a UFA. We should sign him if only for the seaon opener against the Leafs.

6. secretdragonfly says:

Just a word of warning for the uninitiated – we bought the 10-pack for the first time last season, went to the pre-season game because it coincided with my birthday, picked out three games during the year we wanted to see and sold the rest on ebay and ended up losing money when we only wanted to break even.  My advice (which I will take myself) is try for the individual games you really want to see and pay for them.

7. B says:

Schultz scored 24 goals in 70 games last season in Junior.
    Greg Stewart scored 24 goals in 60 games his last season in Junior.

8. habstrinifan says:

Thanks for video. What I like about him is when his man goes down he skates off. Very admirable.

I hate hockey fights where the victor acts more like a goon than a sport combatant answering a challenge… and keeps pummeling a ‘fallen warrior’

He seems to have class.

9. novahab says:

Well Pleks is not a number one centre but he wants to be payed like one and he was one of our better players who disappeared against the Flyers. As far as Halak goes time will tell but just remember Theodore and Huet how good they looked at one time. The NHL has changed you need your goalie to step up but he not winning the cup like Roy or Dryden did. Montreal needs a centre and size and its ok to lose Pleks so long as we get a centre who can be tough and win face offs.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

Dude you need to lighten up on the ethnocentrism. You’re like a Slovak Francois Gagnon.

11. ProHabs says:

I am not sure if there is a team that has 2 picks in the second round between 30 and 40 but if there is the Habs should trade their first round pick for that teams 2 second rounders.

They should then get their hands on 2 of these players: Tyler Pitlick, Charlie Coyle, Brock Nelson, and Alex Petrovic.  Then they can pick anther prospect with their own 2 round pick. Common Gauthier, think outside the box and be creative to get us some big prospects.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

It is pretty easy to buy tickets from the website:

They will announce the time when tickets go on sale (series of as little as  10 matches first, indicidual games a week later). You log on to their website an hour or so before that time, and arm yourself with patience.

If you don’t want to go to 10 games (one of which will be pre-season) you could still buy the ten game package and sell the extras on ebay.

Finally if you are unable to get tickets that way, you can usually get tickets for the less desirable games on ebay at roughly cost. At least you could last year. That is what the Martin trap did to ticket demand.

13. nightmare_49 says:

– from K K Hockey – Minnesota Acquires Sharks fighter Brad Staubitz for 2010 5th-round pick.

– from Russo’s Rant – Sources: Wild acquires San Jose fighter Brad Staubitz for draft picks; where’s this put Boogaard? http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/96844169.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUBP7hUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr       ……..

14. Chris says:

I think it basically comes down to the idea that the team isn’t so sure that Halak is deserving of #1 goalie money, nor are they comfortable paying Plekanec as a #1 center.

Plekanec is coming off a season where he put up 70 points. But he’s only 2 years off a season in which he put up 39 points. Streaky play like that makes GM’s wary.

Halak only just finished his first season as a #1 goalie, admittedly through no fault of his own (not his fault Montreal drafted Price as well). He had a magical run in the playoffs. Nonetheless, it is just one season. I can definitely see management looking on Halak as a risky proposition to pay big money to.

I don’t think Halak is going to sign for anything close to the $5 million bandied about here (often by some of the same people that had Komisarek signing for $5-6 million last summer). I figure Halak will sign for $3-3.5 million at the upper end. In his case, I think the team just flat out preferred Price and are using the money thing as a smokescreen.

15. Bryan says:

Ha, I didn’t know Nashville had Hugh Jessiman.  He’s the only player from the 2003 1st round draft that hasn’t played an NHL game yet.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

16. A. Berke says:

If I may add, I have a bad knee and Price is the cause of it too (this is in addition to your list).

Ali B.

17. secretdragonfly says:

Tickets usually go on sale around mid-Sept so you’ve got time to become accustomed to the process.  Don’t worry, we’ll walk you through it and you can share in the total frustration of the “virtual waiting room” and be kept hanging indefinitely waiting for the big roulette wheel to spin and give you the 1 in a gazillion chance of snagging tickets for a mid-week game against Nashville or Columbus (kidding!)

18. ed lopaz says:

someone please explain to me what I’m missing. Why is it that our # 1 goalie (Halak) and our #1 points man (Plekanec) can not be signed under a 58 million salary cap?

consider this please. who were 2 of our most valuable players last season, and why are we about to lose both of them?

You know what? The next time I hear someone say that Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier “know what they’re doing”, I would like to ask them why we can’t “afford” to keep our best players.

Its very frustrating as a fan, is it not?

19. Chris says:

Carter was playing the playoffs this season on a broken foot.  He hurt his left foot in late March, missing 8 games (about 3 weeks) before coming back with 2 games left in the regular season.  He then played 4 more playoff games before breaking his right foot, requiring surgery to repair it.

That Carter came back to play at all took grit.  That he wasn’t the same player should have been expected, as he missed 19 of his previous 25 games.  His conditioning and timing had to be shot.

I like Plekanec, but he’s the same player as Gomez who is untradeable.  Plekanec is a 55-65 point center that plays smart two-way hockey.  He is a good neutral and offensive zone faceoff man, but he is a bit weak on the draws in his own end.  He can shut down opposing centers, but at the cost of his own offence.

At the end of the day, Plekanec is a guy who will peak at 30 goals and 70-75 points.  Carter is younger, bigger and has already put a 46 goal season on the board.  He’s also a right-handed shot, a rarity for a upper-tier center.  Add in that he’s significantly better on faceoffs (particularly on the road), and I’d take him straight up for Plekanec in a heartbeat.  The problem is that I don’t think the opposing GM would go along with me.  :)

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Buying tickets online works, provided the online ticket buying site doesn’t completely crap out. I believe there was much frustration around here during post-season buying season as people languished online waiting for their turn. The issue is a ton of scalpers end up buying out a lot of the tickets on there.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I scored tickets a few times via this web site. Thanks again Ian Cobb for hooking me up with habschick1.

22. SmartDog says:

Listen – I’m totally ignorant to the process.   Is there a window when you can buy online?  Or do you sleep outside or what does it take?   Thanks again.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

23. BrianSkrudland says:

While I agree with the regrettable history of Minnesota draft picks; Tyler Pitlick’s pedigree is intriguing to me. His uncle was a gritty SOB and the Habs could use that sort of character mixed with Tyler’s (scouted) skill set.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Best advice would be to check around as I imagine the Gazette staff would mention that and visit Canadiens.com on a daily basis to see when they announce tickets are first available, but the NHL will have to formally set the regular season schedule before that.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. SmartDog says:

Order them when they’re first available…. that’s what I mean.  How dod I do that?

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

26. BrianSkrudland says:

I would not even trade Pleks for Carter straight-up. No doubt that Carter is a tremendous talent. He just doesn’t seem to have balls. Many doubt Pleks of course, but I find him to be a most undervalued asset to the Habs. Putting points on the board isn’t the only contributable skill, Folks. Win some faceoffs and kill some penalties and your alright in my book.

Cody Hodgson is an absolute force in my opinion. He definitely deserved the MVP title over Tavares a couple of years back in the WJC. Hodgson seems to have some back injury battles to deal with, but I think he would be worth a Kostitsyn (or two) in the interim. That being said, I am a holdover that holds great faith in the Tits Boys. So talented…so disappiointing. Anyway, a shakeup is always good if we win the deal where the Cap is concerned.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Or they’ll just trade his rights again for any pick they can get.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Well in that case, just slip in what the tickets are at cost when you swipe ‘em.

Honestly though, wouldn’t bet on getting anything at or close to cost unless you order them when they’re first available.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. Max_a_million says:

Luckily Slats doesn’t always make sense, and often gets desperate.  We could do a lot with 3 million off the books.

30. Slovak says:

his problems are solved, don’t think he is soft at all – did you see him at Olympics? His time in NHL is running up – I think he will play for 3-4 more years max. – he wants to show he can play big like at Olympics… he will not be expensive.

31. Chris says:

Vancouver desperately needs some complimentary scorers to play behind the Sedins.  The Canucks have highly touted Cody Hodgson in their system, but Hodgson and the Canucks have not had a very good relationship and I think he could be moved for the right price.  Similarly, Cory Schneider is a very highly rated goalie ready to play in the NHL, but is stuck behind Luongo.  The Canucks need to win quickly.

Philadelphia needs a goalie and a cheap replacement for Jeff Carter, who they seem interested in trading for some cap relief.

The obvious trade would be for the Canucks to acquire Jeff Carter and Brian Boucher in exchange for Schneider and Hodgson.

My thought then would be for Montreal to somehow pry Carter away from Vancouver, but I just don’t see that the Habs have the assets to make that trade work.  If Plekanec could sign a contract, a “sign-and-trade” type deal could be arranged with Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn plus Yannick Weber going the other way.  But I don’t know why Plekanec would ever agree to such a thing, and the Canucks would already have upgraded their offence with Carter.

Stupid salary cap and stupid lack of NHL-calibre forwards in Montreal!  :(

32. adam76 says:

will the preseason be released tomorrow too?  Trying to see if Halifax or Moncton is getting any preseason games.

33. Slovak says:

But the big part of his interest is fact that Gaborik and Demitra are best friends and their chemistry is so great that together they can go for “200” points… Gaborik seems to be healthy and Demitra did work out his problems too…

34. sidhu says:

Agree — they gave up a 2nd round pick for him.  But it looks like he will become a UFA:

As for defen­se­man Denis Gre­besh­kov, Poile said the Pre­da­tors are
    unli­kely to make him a qua­lif­ying offer, which means he will
    pro­bably become an unres­tric­ted free agent on July 1. Gre­besh­kov
    made $3.1 million last sea­son and would have to receive a qua­lif­ying
    offer of at least that amount for next season.

35. SmartDog says:

I want to pay, I just don’t want to get ripped off.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

36. Storm Man says:

If the Habs take Tyler Pitlick would most of you here like that?

37. ZepFan2 says:

“Price was responsible for the oil spill in the Gulf”

Nope, that one belongs to BP…Benoit Pouliot.

———————————————————-

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

38. aldo says:

games like this make me wish i was still playing …i blame oldage!!

check my new bike . its a
    specialized rockhopper pro . taken me 4 months to save up for it!!

39. Bryan says:

Really?!  There must be something up there, because there’s no way Nashville would let him walk for nothing like that.  I’d be all over him.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

40. Storm Man says:

Demitra no thanks……  Please try again later.

41. sidhu says:

Nashville won’t tender a qualifying offer to Grebeshkov, thereby making him a UFA.

He played on Russia’s Olympic team with Marky — I wouldn’t mind signing him for cheap, provided we get rid of cap space (i.e., Hammer’s contract).

42. Max_a_million says:

Hey it says on the Demitra trade link that Glen Sather is desperate for a top 6 forward, and Demitra makes 4 million.  How about we send a certain under performing 3 million dollar Belarussian power forward.  Heck why not his brother too.  I would be happy to only get draft picks in return.

43. Caper says:

Why? Head case and soft.

44. Slovak says:

Blues, Habs, Chicago…:) (Devils in the past) + Trencin in Slovakia

I dont think Demitra will be expensive, he went through some serious family problems, now it is solved.

Remember Demitra at Olympics, he wants to show he can play big again and he will, I would bet on that one

45. SmartDog says:

And a cute little fella!

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

46. Max_a_million says:

I wish we could trade for Jeff Carter, but I don’t think we have anything Philly wants, and we would have to send some salary back.

47. Caper says:

You also forgot that he upset my ex-wife who made my life miserable and he was still in grade school at the time.