Light turnout for Habs practice

A handful of Canadiens were on the ice prior to a team meeting and departure for Pittsburgh.

Tomas Plekanec and Mathieu Darche were the only regulars on the ice. They skated briefly before Ben Maxwell, Sergei Kostitsyn  and Jaroslav Spacek took shots at goaltending coach Pierre Groulx.

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Scott Gomez (Advisory: some f-bombs)| Tom Pyatt

1. punkster says:

Giving a “thumbs up”. However with that expression on his face he could be giving the refs ” the finger”!

2. mike g says:

I agree.

My father inlaw, 2 uncles and 2 cousins are all Bruins fans. Just pathetic

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

3. 100HABS says:

Interesting poll. The results have changed:

Penguins, because I
    could never, ever root for the Canadiens

I voted Canadiens and it might be guys like me that are skewing the results from Broons fans.
  4. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Brain Wilde on Team 990:

Former defenseman asked about how many players really care come playoffs: “About half”

Gainey did well to build this team with the right half. This team cares.

Also complimenting Carey Price for maturing everyday right now. Working harder and harder as part of the team.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

Let’s hope Boston go no further than this round.

6. Off-side says:

I love my HABS!  I simply love every beautiful man on that team!  Ahhhhh…..Bliss….

7. HabFab says:

Flashing “Number 1”

8. Clay4bc says:

How about the Red Wings? Classic example of developing talent without tanking.

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

9. Slovak says:

I hope Boston with Chara and Satan will go further and also Chicago with Hossa and Kopecky. It would be fun to watch slovak friends against each other, like Chara + Satan VS Halak…

I have to say the style of play and the situation of the Habs team reminds me of Slovak olympic team with even better Halak…

I really think you should think about Demitra joining Habs – with right guys around, he can do miracles, as he did at the Olympics…

10. Jbell10 says:

Gomez is clearly eating a BigMac and  is trying to hide it with his other hand…

11. naweed235 says:

12. mike g says:

Maybe he promised someone he’d give up sushi..

Now he knows he got caught, so he’s snapping.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

13. Habscore says:

Gomer looks like his mouth is full of sushis (I think it’s a sushi box in his hands), and saying wait wait!!!

— YES HABS CAN!! —

14. Harani says:

Ok, sorry. I’ll retry.

Cammi tweets this picture of him and Moore on the plane on their way to Pittsburgh.

My question: What do you think Gomez is doing in the background? Answer away!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

15. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

ha! you’re right steve… but i can see the writing on the wall. out with old, in with the new…

16. pmaraw says:

what picture?  😛

17. Slovak says:

The problem is, when two want to be N.1, it will make bad emotions etc., you can see tons of crap it already produced some time ago… I would say – lets make Jaro official n.1 for the next year and Price n.2. I think Price will accept this because recent events show that all the hate in the family is gone… and then, well we will see… but Jaro is not going to be the backup anymore – that is for sure… and for Price I think this is the time, where he realizes he has found his family, where he can develop and the others will help him to do so…

18. mike g says:

So NESN has officially confirmed the Bruins’ spot in the Conference Finals?

Wow, very professional. I always hated NESN, and found them to be very pro-Bruins during broadcasts. This confirms it.

I really, really want the Flyers to win that series. It would be great.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

19. Habscore says:

Where are you Timo, I miss you hahaha…

I don’t know how I ended up watching these on

— YES HABS CAN!! —

20. Harani says:

My question: What do you think Gomez is doing in the background? Answer away!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

21. Bugs says:

Boston fan poll on NESN:

– Who are you rooting for in the Canadiens-Penguins series?

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward:

22. Harani says:

No, coz Lappy didn’t miss like he did.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

23. mike g says:

His mouth was full of poutine, no way he could have smiled…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

24. habsman-itoba says:

Hah!  I think he was more confused and baffled that it actually worked!  He’s probably watching replays at home in awe, taking notes.

25. slamtherimtim says:

i would feel sorry for moore , and that line would be suspect , just sit them BP and AK let them play a shift a period on different lines

26. Jbell10 says:

Ya he was smiling, but he knows no one will be able to the pull the Guy spinner-rama quite as un-successfully as he (Guy) did.

27. smiler2729 says:

It’s a definite plus to have a goalie tandem where each feels that they have what it takes to be the number one.

28. Slovak says:

You can be sure, Halak will stay for less money and being the starter. Money comes second in his case, no matter what his agent constructs in his dollar thinking head… You just have to solve one thing – does Price agree to be the n.2???? Right now it seems he does… But this question belongs into the future, right now…..

29. Hockey Socks says:

Ovechkin’s first two seasons in the Russian Super League:

21 GP – 4 points

40 GP – 15 points

Avtsin’s first season in the KHL:

30 GP – 9 points

30. Lap4Cap says:

Do you think Tender’ was smiling when Lappy pulled out his signature wrap-around?

Hello, I’m Jordan and I hate Julie…

31. habsman-itoba says:

I was wondering about this on the way to work this morning.  I  don’t mean this as an attack or anything, just an honest inquiry.  It seems that there are a lot of people here who think Gainey had a poor system to develop talent.  How do other teams do when compared to us on developing their talent?

Is there a league stat that tells us the Canadiens are doing a crappy job of this compared to the other teams?  Or do all teams have a similar success (or failure) percentage with developing talent?  Without looking at the whole league, it seems rather brash to say we pass or fail.

Is there a benchmark we can compare ourselves with (not counting the teams that tank to win -ahem- Pittsburg

32. Hockey Socks says:

One of the best Halakisms I’ve heard!

33. J. Ambrose says:

Pyatt has already played a fair bit of time on the Pleks line, while AK was banished to the 4th line, so he could play a similar role on the Gomez line. But now that AK seems to waking from his loooong slumber, I’d keep him on that first line. He may not be scoring right now, but he is hitting and mucking, which is great. Plus, as we’ve seen, he can deliver multiple goal games. It could be Saturday. And I love Laps right where he is. He excels in that role.

34. Norcal Habsfan says:

It sucks for you and the Dogs to pull their best player in the middle of the playoffs. Hope Weber steps up. I bet PK would play both if he could.

35. pic1983 says:

Hey man, Drew Doughty made some brutal turnovers last season and was a minus player, and this year he looks like a lock for the Norris.  We just gotta have patience with the kids, growing pains are part of the game.  I agree that PK looks like hes the real deal.  I think hamrlik said it best in saying that hes seen forwards come up confident, goaltenders come up confident, but hes never seen a defensemen come up with as much confidence as PK.

His interview with Elliotte Friedman last night made me an even bigger fan!  What a great attitude this kid has.

Pens big guns suffering from the same thing as the Caps did: Halak of

One or two (Halak) isn’t much to brag about after seven years.  Gainey’s inability to draft and develop young building blocks is part of his legacy as GM.  Just sayin’.

38. avatar_58 says:

What do you guys think about moving Pyatt to the Gio/Gomez line permanently and Lapierre to the Cammy / Plek lines? AK46 drops to the third with Pouliot/Moore.

39. nickster13 says:

If you watched CBC, they were saying Gomez is great in the room and always keeps PK positive. So maybe Gomez has value way beyond offense, despite his large paycheck.

But the part i liked most was when PK was getting interviewed they were saying he had a great 3rd period. But gomez walked by down the hall and said ” dont let it get to your head kid you played awful the first 2 periods” and PK smiled, i love it!

40. Harani says:

RDS reports that Sergei did not accompany the team to Pittsburgh while he did think he was on the trip.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

Another take on agent, Allan Walsh.

42. Clay4bc says:

Too long without a cup – we need something to distract us from that travesty.

43. Clay4bc says:

Halak could have any woman he wants in Montreal right now – with their
    husbands/boyfriends blessing too, I bet. 🙂

44. ooder says:

you brought up a great point.. and i just saw the franzen one today and just thought: “are you kidding me”..

on top of that they are doing it all wrong now..

they show the person scoring and then rewind it, instead of showing the result of the action and then rewinding to the action

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

45. ooder says:

overall he played in a pretty low scoring league, and also he had pretty serious wrist surgery during the year.

let’s hope Dr. Boucher can fix him up

46. KenD29 says:

PK seems to be holding his own !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

47. Fansincebirth says:

Too funny…the Price vs Halak controversy seems to have died down.

Not being content to let sleeping dogs lie and concentrate on team and the playoff run, we now have our new controversy……SK!!!

48. KenD29 says:

And no worse than SK !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

49. avatar_58 says:

Play or no his interview impressed me most last night. I mean interview for channel 14 here in Hamilton? No one watches that so no pressure. NATIONAL Tv though? He didn’t sweat it, talked like a pro. Doesn’t that just say it all about his confidence level?

50. yves_on_habs says:

Yeah… I’d say Kirk would be a guy that’d have alot of respect overall.

Sergei’s got so much potential. I’m loosing faith that he’ll go about it the right way.

It’s too bad.

– Yves –

Blog –

Twitter –

51. Clutch10 says:

I work hard every day mabey i should lace em up can’t be any worse than Darche.

Chris – I thought SK74 was our sleeper pick:-)

Let’s wait and see what happens.  The Habs don’t seem to do well when it comes to developing young players.

53. yves_on_habs says:

Lot’s of potential. I’ll be keeping an eye on how he does.

But I suppose I keep my eye on the Habs year round anyway… surprise surprise…

– Yves –

Blog –

Twitter –

54. KenD29 says:

Take his work ethic over SK’s anyday!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

55. KenD29 says:

Bring some Smirnoff and caviar when you come!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

56. Clutch10 says:

I wonder if Kirk tried talking to SK. Kirk to me is a guy that kids would listen to. Its obvious the kid wants to play but he’s going about it the wrong way.

57. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

he didn’t have a great season in the KHL but i’m hoping this kid turns out to be a sleeper pick for the Habs… lots of offensive potential…

58. j2c says:

I’m so excited for him coming over. I really hope that he works out because he could be a fantastic player if he develops properly. He also seems like he is very happy to come over, and work hard and since the younger Kostitsyn is most likely gone after this season we could use another skilled prospect in our system.

59. Norcal Habsfan says:

PK, wow this kid is for real. Granted, he looked like a rookie on some of those plays against Evgeni last night but he will learn quickly. But, those rushes up the ice had me screaming before he hit the red line. This guy is like one of those 19 year olds that go to the World Series of Poker with nerves of steel and push all in. PK pushes all-in on every shift. He’s a gamer. No disrespect to Markov but we haven’t had this dimension to the D for a long time. Loved it when he knocked SIds lid off.

Good game AK. showed alot of character to play well given the situation with his bro.

Pyatt, Darche, Laps—Beasts.

We can do it with 4 lines.  We are looking like a pretty dangerous team to the rest of the league. Who woulda thunk it?

60. Clutch10 says:

Darche? He’s useless. He may have a work ethic but thats all he has.

61. KenD29 says:

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

62. namgel says:

Coach Martin say’s one… little forward…two….two lit..

63. KenD29 says:

Couldn’t agree more!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

64. mike g says:

I was the guy who braught that up a few days ago…

The NHL had done such a great job. Those were some of the best commercials on tv for a hockey fan, and now the NHL has once again become the laughingstock of everything.

The Fleury commercial is garbage. The Cammy one is garbage. The Franzen one from last night’s 4 goal game is garbage. Same for Versteeg’s and Pavelski’s, garbage and garbage. The only one’s worthy of any decent credit are Halak’s and Datsyuk’s. They both occured in game 7’s, and Halak’s performance did make history.

They’re desperately seeking history.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

65. lenny says:

SK and AK…They are both capable of scoring 25 plus goals a year…the only problem is it will be in a different jersey…Players interviews have not mentioned SK name, but it is clear then when Cammy says-the people here get it and are working hard, he is pointing the fingure at SK….Both brothers will be shipped off in the off season, or playing in the KHL—

I’m happy DARCHE GOT A CHANCE TO PLAY LAST NIGHT, There is someone who works his a$$ off and makes the most of his limited minutes. He alos got some big minuted at the end of the third, why is funny becasue last game he was benched…I hope they sign him next yr, he probably wont cost more then 750K and is a great role model for the city, team, and anyone who goes after their dreams!!!! The K bros could learn a thing or 2 from him

66. Slovak says:

Halak post-game comments are still about the same thing – Montreal takes it from game to game, while Crosby and the frustrated company are forced to see the cup already before their eyes. BUT THE ONLY THING THEY SEE IS HALAK AND THE FAMILY SAYING: “NOT SO EASY AS YOU THINK SID NOT SO EASY HMMM”

67. ooder says:

I know this was posted before, but the NHL finally comes up with a great commercial in thei History will be Made and completly kills it.

At first it was cool with all of the old timers scoring legendary goals.. but’s just so lame,.

they take random goals and make a commercial out of it..

68. alestar says:

Its true…but it is so hard not to get wrapped up in the moment…I want another Cup!!!!

XXIV…and counting

69. alestar says:

Totally agree!

XXIV…and counting

70. Fansincebirth says:

Stop speculating…..

71. Fansincebirth says:

This from last night sums it all up…..

“We have nothing to lose because we’re not even supposed to be here,”
    said Halak, whose goalkeeping helped the Canadiens stun Washington, the
    N.H.L.’s top team, in the first round. “No one gave us a chance to go
    through the first round and right now, even in the second, people
    thought we’d lose four straight. But here we are.”

72. ooder says:

aright boys.. 2 more wins

that’s all.. and then it’s off to the ECF.

I really hope Fleury lives up to his crappy play at the Igloo

73. joeybarrie says:

Im sorry, but if you guys cannot see the writing on the wall, you need GLASSES. SK took shots at goaltending coach. The only reason why a coach would send a player to work out in the gym instead of on the ice is because he is a distraction. Its KNOWN that this kid is on his way out. He obviously didn’t learn when he misses the bus. He obviously didn’t learn when he refused to go to Hamilton. He didn’t learn IN Hamilton. He didn’t learn after we called him up and then sat him cause he wasnt working. So ITS obvious he isnt going to learn NOW. He MIGHT learn once he gets fired. He can go to a new team and start over and change his attitude a bit. If he doesnt end up in the KHL.

The ONLY word you cannot rely on is the so called HABS word. Cause the Habs don’t give ANY word until its done. Look at Laraque. The word was given when he was asked to WALK.

You pay a guy to come and work for you, ALL you ask is he be professional and do his job. YOU HOPE because he is getting PAID a VERY large amount to skate around and play a game, that he TRIES. Well it didn’t work.

You cant tell me he didn’t get a chance. He got MORE than alot of others. Look at Darche. If he acted a bit more like Darche, he would be on the second line RIGHT NOW. Make no mistake about it. SERGEI KOSTITSYN HAS LET US DOWN. THE FANS AND THIS TEAM…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…