Letters from camp

• Pat Hickey checks in from development camp

• Hickey on the choice of Price

• Arpon Basu on the likely lineup

Gauthier goes with youth

Gauthier video from RDS

• Boston has a cap problem

Whither Avtsin?

Whither Guerin?

Whither Modano?

Great Tweet from Larry Brooks of the New York Post: Ilya Kovalchuk will be announcing his decision on
Versus. What? He already did but no one was watching?

1. fbkj says:

he was actually being complimentary with it

“You guys had a killer year, where people everywhere were going; ‘Oh
    my God, the Habs may go all the way!’

“The team just kept on
    coming from behind; you guys had the sodomy year,” marvels Smith,
    offering the sort of crack analysis we’ll never hear on Hockey Night in
    Canada.

2. Natrous says:

That’s a really good point – I wish Gomez had more of a nose for the net, even for a decent shot. I’ve seen him do it in NJ, not so much as a Ranger, but he’s got the ability as long as he’s not always relying on Gionta or *insert winger name here*.

3. TorontoHabsFan says:

Actually no, that’s not what I said – but i can see why you’d like to think so.

Ooh! Check out the tough guy on the anonymous internet forum!

4. TomNickle says:

Just posted to the page my friend.

Thanks for the reminder, looking forward to it.

5. pic1983 says:

Pretty sure that the $50 million was paid to his japanese club, not to daisuke himself.  Either way, he got a ridiculously lucrative contract from the red sox which (and im not the biggest baseball fan so i may be off base) he doesnt deserve.

6. ed lopaz says:

Interesting thinking – but i have never seen Eller play – not even 1 shift – so I’ll reserve judgement until I do.

I do know, however, that JM does NOT “easily and willingly” give “young / rookie” players too much

responsibility.

JM is conservative, and not at all a risk taker – he is risk averse.

therefore, I doubt Eller is even being considered at this point in time.

But, it should be interesting how this kid plays – like I said – never seen him.

7. GuyDoon says:

LoL. Don’t be sorry. That’s why I started with “Entertainemnt”. I’m sure Lombardi could find any number of trade options for that package. Besides, LA loves Simmonds so he’s going nowhere. Then again, even a broken watch is right twice a day!

8. TomNickle says:

The team uses a unique style of the umbrella powerplay.  The problem you run into there is that when the puck is at it’s highest point in the zone you need to have 3 players who have a good shots up top.  If you don’t, the penalty killers can isolate your puck carrier with the big shot(Bergeron) and force the puck to one side of the zone.

Fortunately the skill level on this team when it comes to passing is very high and we often get away with not having those big shots at the top.

The forward that you move back on the powerplay needs to be borderline elite defensively as well.  The second the puck gets out of the offensive zone the pk unit will attack that player specifically and exploit him if he can’t handle it.

9. Bugs says:

Whatever happened to following what you’ve seen with your OWN EYES instead of other folks’ predictions of the future?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

10. crabvader says:

Oh yeah, he’s far too arrogant. The messages he sends through his movies are enough to make me sick.

That’s my opinion though. I know people who like him and that’s good for them.

I truthfully didn’t read the article but if it has anything to do with associating Habs to sodomy, why should I?

11. pic1983 says:

At least the proceeds from advertising are going to the boys and girls club of america.

Say what you want about lebron, and he is certainly an egomaniac, but the guy does his part for the community.

12. ZepFan2 says:

Red Fisher…how many cups has he won again?

Scotty Bowman: “Don’t trade Price.”.

How many has Scotty won?

Who’s advice would YOU follow??

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

13. Bugs says:

Who?

Edit: ;)

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

14. SLONCOLD says:

the price situation is more complicated than it looks. but like i said in other threads. 3.25m a year on 3-4 years.

a 3 year deal would make more sense so if he does pan out price would be a RFA in his last year of a hab helping you sign a long term deal and not having him test the ufa market, but he would have arbitration right then too.. so meh….

15. crabvader says:

Let’s face it, the team had a problem with Price. You could tell they didn’t have confidence in him and rightfully so; he didn’t have confidence in himself. That’s what happens when you’re still a baby and you have a large part of 21,000 fans booing you.

From what I’ve heard, he’s been working hard to gain the team’s trust and he’s been busting his butt off during practice and supporting all his teammates, including Halak during the playoffs.

He didn’t sit there and take the Sergei Kostitsyn way out, he’s actually working. He wants to make a difference and he wants to play his hardest. At least at his young age, he’s man enough to admit he was wrong and is owning up to his responsibilities. So you know what, let people crap on him, it doesn’t matter. I’m not saying he’s gonna be the best goaltender in the league, I’m not saying he’s going to carry this team on his back by himself. I’m just willing to give him another chance and see what he can do before I gouge my own eyes out and cry senselessly for hours on end while sucking on my thumb at night dreaming about what could have been.

16. TripleX says:

PROVE IT!

We are waiting with bated breath for the multiple links and or voice clips where Cammy says the reason he signed with Montreal was Gomez.

If it is FACT then the backing information should be easy to find.

RIGHT?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

17. TorontoHabsFan says:

I absolutely agree – for those 5 years or so in the 90s Hasek was effing ridiculous – the most dominant player (not just goalie) in the league. Those Hart trophy years were other-wordly.

18. TorontoHabsFan says:

Interesting idea with Kostitsyn on the point – I seem to remember Pittsburgh using Malkin similarly whenever Gonchar was injured. I wonder, would being given that kind of responsibility be just the kind of thing to inspire Kostitsyn?

19. ZepFan2 says:

So you’re saying Fleury was great every year since he came into the league without any failures along the way?

How come they didn’t win it every year then. I mean, Malkin, Crosby and Fleury ALL playing fantastic EVERY year right from the start. Yeah, right!

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

20. deuce6 says:

The problem with most Habbers is that, they are mostly impatient and put zero faith/value in younger players..Our team is going to be much younger, but more skilled/physical..

When you can have a guy like Eller patrolling 3rd line duties, maybe see some top 6 time, that is good news..

I can’t remember having such a solid core of players with good young talent mixed in through out the line up..

Just for the record, I love the fact that PG has given a shot in the arm to this line up by adding some young talent..

Remember, young dumb and full of c*m…lol

21. pic1983 says:

Who needs an elite goalie?

If you built your TEAM properly, you just need a solid goalie, not an elite one.

Last time I checked, all the “elite” goalies (halak included) were on the links while Philly and Chicago battled it out with their “mediocore” goalies for the cup.

22. NightRyder says:

Red Fisher, who has been following the NHL for over 50 years, hasn’t had a cogent thought since the early 1980s.

23. fbkj says:

and scotty bowman doesnt

whats done is done

24. Propwash says:

Following that logic, its all Halak’s fault we didn’t make it to the finals.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

25. TripleX says:

5.6 million to sign just Price and Laps and PG is talking about lacking cap space to sign some veterans???

HOW MUCH IS PRICE GETTING SINCE LAPS IS NOT GOING TO BREAK THE BANK!

26. Natrous says:

I like your thought, however since it relies on Eklund being correct, that pretty much nullifies the entire post. Sorry!

27. G-Man says:

Plan B is Auld (lol). Plan C is Desjardins (who knows yet?). Plan D is Sanford (journeyman).

It’s not about “I told you sos”. This is about going with a winning goalie. Habs management’s insistence on this path from the beginning was simply stupid. Habs needed a big scoring center and Kopitar, who fit the bill exactly, was passed over for a goalie. How different would this team be if Kopitar had been taken over Price?

28. SLONCOLD says:

goalie stats are always helped out by a nice team infront of you. the only goalie that i can say was pure stupid for a 4-5 years was hasek…. he made his defense look better but the game was different then as well.

29. fbkj says:

really? you think ol’lunchbox is an elitist?

30. ed lopaz says:

Red Fisher, who has been following the NHL for over 50 years, agrees with you.

31. Habsrule1 says:

And funniest of all? You eating your words when Price has a better season than Halak.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

32. joeybarrie says:

YUP, he let in a WHOLE 12 GOALS more than Halak based on the average shots each faced….  I know its a HUGE difference. Less than 1 goal every 3 games…. Also lets look into how many LESS goals the team scored on average, and then we can look at how the season COULD have ended up if our number 1 defensive player wasnt injured… Right in the time frame when we had a HUGE HOLE in our defense… Who was mostly in goals then by the way??????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

33. Propwash says:

Wow, imagine being paid 50 mil for a freakin job interview…

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

34. pic1983 says:

so seeing as you already have that all figured out, i suppose you dont need to watch any games in the upcoming season…

Colorado and phoenix were both “supposed” to be bottom dwellers.  Both their teams looked bad “on paper”.  Yet both of them had great seasons and made the playoffs.

You never know whats going to happen until the puck has dropped.  Maybe an injection of youth, and the idea that goaltending isnt going to bail them out everynight will actually make them a better TEAM.

35. crabvader says:

Lol, I personally don’t care for what an elitist douche who can’t fit in an airplane seat has to say.

36. Bugs says:

Woops!

Sorry, mate.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

37. ed lopaz says:

hockey is a game where 1 goal is very significant.

if you are going to use your stats, please take this into account.

30 goalies had a Goals Against Average UNDER 2.76

Halak was 9th at 2.40

Price at 2.77, does not make the top 30.

Save percentage?

Halak is 4th in the whole league; Carey Price is 20th.

the numbers are significantly different.

and I didn’t even address the wins.

38. TripleX says:

Yeah Crosby and Malkin were just along for the ride.

39. fbkj says:

id say so

what were you up to when you were 22?

40. Bugs says:

Most people, like you say wisely, would agree.

But I DON’T think Halak “overperformed.”

I think Halak has been Halak ever since he got here.

I think they traded the wrong guy.

I think we shoulda shanked Plecky for’m instead of the other way around.

I think Halak is going to be a more than satisfactory num1 goalie for a long time.

I think I’ve seen enough to state that with unabashed confidence.

And I think that if Carey doesn’t turn into the Priceberg like he’s supposed to, we’re gonna regret it a long time.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

41. TripleX says:

Exactly dude.  The one good season is FACT and shows proven ability and potential is???

42. Natrous says:

I believe it’s spelled ‘yogging’.

43. ZepFan2 says:

Like Pittsburgh did with Fleury?

Laughed all the way to the cup, I remember.

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

44. pic1983 says:

BEcause the TEAM wins and loses, not the goalie.

Peoples mentality is so skewed in montreal because were so used to lights-out goaltending, people are convinced its the only way the habs will win.  Maybe its time to start winning the right way, by scoring goals!  In the post-lockout NHL, you can only win so many games 2-1 and 3-2.

How about if we iced a healthy roster all season last year? We wouldnt have needed spectacular goaltending, and im sure Carey’s WIn/Loss record would have been a lot better.  Also, with his attitude apparently having taken a serious turn for the better, maybe his teammates will actually start playing for him when he gives up a softie.

45. NightRyder says:

Which would be 100% fine if he was even a remote threat to score.

He is afforded much more space because teams know he’s not going to go anywhere near the net and almost always looks to pass, so you simply give him the space, pick up his passing targets and watch him circle at the blue-line or drift behind the net.

If he was actually able to adjust that part of his game a little bit, then his cap hit wouldn’t be so objectionable.

Henrik Sedin finally figured it out here in Vancouver. Once everyone knew he wasn’t always going to pass, he became that much more difficult to defend and took his game to another level. He’ll never be a 50-goal man, but just that small threat has altered his game significantly.

Since we’re stuck with Gomez, I’d like to see him take a similar step (relatively speaking of course, he’s not as good as Sedin but the same principle applies).

46. Storm Man says:

BTW it is fact that Cammy did come to Montreal because Gomez was here. it looks like you have alot of free time today, so read up on the facts so you dont look silly with your posts.

47. fbkj says:

kevin smith tweets

ThatKevinSmith

The Montreal Gazette wins paper
    of the day: they let me mix references to the Habs and sodomy: http://bit.ly/cd8nZS

48. GuyDoon says:

Entertainment:

Eklund thinks Kovalchuk is going KHL! And once he does, the Leafs will send Kaberle to LA for Simmonds and prospect. If that were true, maybe PG could call Lombardi and offer Akost and Hamrlik for that package! Simmonds is just what we need; and over 8Mil in cap relief; and Spacek gets to play on his side; and we get rid of one more contract than we take. All good….

49. joeybarrie says:

Its only because he could make more as a comedian. Otherwise he would have been tearing up the league…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. crabvader says:

Wasn’t something like that already done for Terrell Owens? I know he plays football but still.

51. SLONCOLD says:

do yuo know what’s funnier than rewarding a player for a good season? handing a starting position to someone who struggled at times the year beacuse he has “more potential”

52. NightRyder says:

I think you’re right!

53. WarHero says:

Amen :)

————————————————————————

54. joeybarrie says:

By the way, I dont know if you knew this…. But at 20 years old Carey Price had a save percentage only .04% lower… 4 goals on 1000 shots…. HOW MANY GOALIE’S HAD THAT????

The reason why we don’t discuss wins, is because it takes a team to win.

hmmm  24yrs old  -.924%  ,  20 yrs old   -.920%

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

55. Storm Man says:

I see the heat is getting to you. All you post on here is he is 4 and 11 over and over again. Try something new, Change is good donkey.

56. crabvader says:

Boyd or Eller will be able to replace Metropolit and Subban can replace MAB, simple.

57. Bugs says:

By “intelligent” of course, you mean “what mirrors your opinion”, right?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

58. SLONCOLD says:

bugs, response was for gumper

59. adam76 says:

I feel we should talk about the organized jogging tournament that is happening in south america.

60. TorontoHabsFan says:

I see you’re itching for a donnybrook – sorry, I’m not going to oblige you.

61. longtimehabsfan says:

Actually, the Red Sox paid 50 million for the right to negotiate with Daisuke Matsuzaka.

62. Natrous says:

To that point, he’s one of two guys on the entire team who can actually gain the offensive zone without dumping the puck (the other is Markov), so without Gomez we would be a pure dump-and-chase team, thus garnering valid complaints on this site (for once).

63. adam76 says:

Price slightly underperformed?  SLIGHTLY??????

64. joeybarrie says:

Its possible the goals will come from a healthy Markov, Gio and Cammalleri….  The total goals missed by those 3 based on the games they were injured passes 20 easily. Thats not even including what the replacement players will get. Besides. Markov will set up at least an extra 30 goals on his own…

Oh yeah, and if your going to sing their praises, you should at least spell their names correctly. And by the way, Gainey has won enough for BOTH PG and himself…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

65. Habsrule1 says:

I think it’s funny but sad how fans and even management over pay a player after one good season or playoffs.

*See Huet, Cristobal to name only one.

66. sholi2000.com says:

You Habs Guru, Posting in Habsentia,hab lifer, habsynthe,habitial offernder, hab tab, tony### and every other ridiculous name you keep signing up, have personally ruined this site.

What is wrong with you?  Are you a victim of child abuse, or neglect?

Does no one love you?  Did your wife leave you?  Did your son say I hate you?

Seriouly you really need help

They Call Me Shane

67. NightRyder says:

I agree. Let’s not talk about goalies or hockey anymore on this hockey forum.

Let’s talk about more important things – like Hickey’s hair on the tube last night.

I see Downtown Eastsiders who look tidier than that.

Doesn’t the Gazette have some sort of clothing/grooming allowance?

68. TripleX says:

Only FOUR other goalies in the HISTORY of the NHL had a save percentage equal or better than Halak’s at his age dude.

Your are belittling a performance that has been done only FOUR other times.  There IS a big difference between .912 and .924 even if you happen to think it is comparable.

Allowing .37 MORE goals per game is also statistically significant.

We won’t even discuss the wins because that is just plain embarrassing.

ps the rumor that Cammy and Gionta only signed in Montreal because of Gomez is a just that a laughable rumor to justify a bad deal that Gainey made in a moment of temporary insanity.   Please stop stating it as FACT

69. SLONCOLD says:

the sav % can be miss leading in cases. some times jaro last year got pelted with shots but maybe not quality shots. the thing to notice is the GAA. the habs averaged 2.64 goals a game and price had a GAA of 2.77. so it’s no surprise while sv% are close’ish you can see where the timely save can be important and is reflected in prices record.

bottom line is our team has scoring problems. if our PP is off, much more pressure will be put on price to make many more saves.

70. longtimehabsfan says:

All he needs is some long hair.

71. Tony243 says:

Can you say Sean Couturier?

72. Bugs says:

I had SEEN the Priceberg with my OWN EYES in the World Championship stop penalty after penalty against the Yanks (even though their last one…yeeeesh). I had seen him with Huey play grrrreat all year (apart a hiccup here and there). And then he shanked that play with Lapierre in the playoffs, and it’s been all downhill from there.

Eller? Never saw him wearing our jersey goin up against Adversity. Totally different situations. Can’t call me out on it.

And Kovy? A) Even less so cuz this is an NHLer tried and true who’d already proved he could “make a team better.” (whatever debate stems apart from that, we can table for later)

And B) Yes, I DID predict Kovy would score 30 the year after his disastrous one. Won 40 dollars and two pints of beer all told callin just that.

So, “lookin at what we’ve got and decidin if I want to be optimistic or not” has shown that I am remarkably perceptive in that field and that it would be wise for me to stay my course. And perhaps loan my considerable acumen to others not as gifted as myself?

That last part is of course optional. Shouldn’t like to impose myself on anybody, or anythin, you know.

Just talkin here.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

73. adam76 says:

Price had impressive numbers in his rookee season.  That is a fact – however, so did

Jim Carey

1994–95 Washington Capitals NHL 28 18 6 3 1604 57 4 2.13 654 597 .913 0 0

74. TorontoHabsFan says:

Re: the neverending goalie debate.

I think if you’re being truthful, most people would agree that Price underperformed slightly last season and Halak overperformed slightly last year. That is, I think that the career potential for both is roughly the same. The difference? Montreal could obviously only sign one of them – and one would cost about twice as much to sign as the other and one would bring back significantly less in any trade than the other.

And that’s really all there is to it. There’s no conspiracy folks, there just isn’t. Now let’s all stop talking about this at least until the all-star break when there’s, you know, ACTUAL DATA to compare.