Let’s try this again

Carey Price gets his second pre-season Bell Centre start tonight.

As you may have heard, the first did not go well.

The Florida Panthers are the visitors as the Canadiens wrap up a series of four exhibition games in as many nights.

Team A is winless in its two starts, and Price has allowed 10 goals in 90 minutes of action.

Tonight will be the last hurrah for several of the Canadiens kids as the team will be cut down to manageable size for the final two games of the pre-season.

Early departures: Louis Leblanc and Jarred Tinordi, with Team A bolstered by the addition of Subban, Picard, Eller, White, Desharnais and Engqvist

The lines:

The D

Henry if Gill can’t go

Boone blogs live

• Pat Hickey on the win over the Wild and quotes from the room

• Jack Todd is not a Price fan

• Neither is Réjean Tremblay

• François Picard sees Ryan O’Byrne and Alexandre Picard battling for a roster spot

• So are Max Pacioretty and Ryan White

1. nunacanadien says:

Hello? Didn’t Bob Gainey already rebuild the team around Price last year?  Gainey’s comments of April 23, 2009 all but forecast that he was going to build the team that could support Price.

2. fbkj says:

isnt this like win win for you?

3. nunacanadien says:

Great, the Price Propoganda War now has Alex Auld in its sights.

4. nunacanadien says:

Ok, this makes as about as much sense as a bag of pucks.  Any GM anywhere who trades a winning goalie in return for unknown prospects is questionable, especially when the number 1 goalie is in a three year slump.  Ok so now you’re saying we should expect 2 more years of losses so Carey when he turns 25 will repeat a Halak style breakout.  So is it ok then to trade Carey for two unknown prospects then like we did to Halak in two years then?  So would it make sense to trade Price when he is hot too?  I mean now we have a good collection of small veterans and skinny defense and very talented rookies (including the one traded for Halak) who showed they have what it takes to take down the Stanley Cup Champion and also the Divisional Champions and a host of nasty teams along the way too under Halak.  So when Price pulls a Halak style performance in two years is it okay to keep Price when some Bulldogs hot goalie signs with the Habs?

5. Everlasting1 says:

Preaching to the choir lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

6. larisalapointe says:

Actually, hahaha, the media keeps bumping the figures. On TSN it was 10,000. I was at Fairview as I go every Saturday. (not to see Halak) He signed 1,100 autographs collecting 22,000.00. Does that mean 5000 people were turned away? For sure there would have been a riot. Even if it were true, it does not mean his popularity with some fans proves talent or lack of it. The media is having a field day with all this and at whose expense? I never saw such sheer lunacy and vindictiveness emerge for freakin’ glorified practice games.

I have told my Halakalite friends (there are only 2) that if they want to stay friends with me we will have no discussions until January when things should be clearer. So far they seem to still want to be my friend because no one has said a word about it. hahaha

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs invited 4 Gs to rookie camp and may end up signing Peter Delmas and sending him to the ECHL, with Mayer and Ramo getting pro development and Simila developing in Finland, the Habs are starting over again with building goal depth since they lost their old alternative, keeping it isn’t easy since goalies are always ready to go off and find their No. 1 jobs if they think they can get them. It’s hard to keep, but the Habs are at least working at it despite losing their old 1-2 advantage.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. SmartDog says:

Just replying about one point.  I think facing the media after a playoff game versus after an exchibition game are world’s apart.  Not the same thing in any way.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

9. awesomerino says:

I’m attacking the person’s body of work, actually.  I find Jack Todd’s columns to be negative and contrarian for their own sake.  Todd was the architect of the media onslaught that drove Brisebois out of town, and now he’s joining the jackals for the pre-season frenzy on Price.  His ‘arguments,’ as you’ve so generously described them, amount to precious little more than lamenting a very rose-colored view of Halak’s tenure with the Habs, and planting the seeds of the inevitable ‘I told you so’ column he’ll write should Price be anything less than spectacular out of the gate.  The fact that he’s doing so with a pithy, disingenuous ‘I hope he proves me wrong,’ while ignoring Price’s past contributions, talent, and efforts to mature, not to mention the realities of developing young talent in the NHL – especially at the goalie’s position – only reinforce my belief that Todd is, at the end of the day, a sensationalistic and opportunistic manipulator of the highest order.

And incidentally, nothing pollutes the water quite so thoroughly as the folly of presumption.  Thanks for posting.

10. SmartDog says:

Good final point!  Hope so!

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

11. RGM says:

Definitely a bit of a risk factor involved, but given some of the things that NHL players have done off the ice to hurt themselves, they’d be living in bubbles if they were prevented from doing stuff in the off-season. Heck, maybe even during the season. Snowblowers and icy front steps, anyone?

As I understand it, Carey’s been riding horses for the majority of his life so he knows what he’s doing out there. The PA/team/League did restrict his activities to just the team roping stuff since it had the least risk involved. Obviously, when dealing with animals as strong and powerful as horses, the “least risk” can still prove very catastrophic, as we all know, so good on him for making it through unscathed. Hopefully he can do so on the ice this coming year. :)

12. nunacanadien says:

So any bets on when the stats war against Alex Auld begins?  Where do Gainey and Price’s agent get all those wonderful stats that show Price winning, like the other night I’m sure they would post that as positive, oh yes, 100% pad saves, (not counting the one that went off his pads of course) excellent glove hand (not counting the goals that went in when he couldn’t stop them with his glove though) excellent five hole (of course not counting the ones that bounce off his nuts and into the net), oh yes Price has excellent statistics that make him out to be of royal blood, oh yes, Price is a winner, he never loses games cause he gets yanked!  And in the words of Gainey on April 23, 2009, the team let Price down.

13. RGM says:

That’s an odd one. Coulda sworn it was 100% PG’s doing (wait, sorry, he’s only Gainey’s puppet; Gainey’s the master manipulator determined to shove Carey Price down our throats! AHAHAHAA) that sent away Jaro. Heck, six thousand fans turned out to see Jaro last month! Anyways, there is a real mythology surrounding the crease of the Canadiens, always has been. When you get some of the guys in there that the Habs have had, it’s tough not to build a mystique for the position. We’ve had some great right-wingers too, but nobody ever holds up a current roster player and looks at him with the tinted perception of the greats of the past….which is probably a very good thing when that company includes The Rocket. Yet the netminder is always compared to Roy or Dryden or Plante, and when found wanting, break out the insults.

14. quentin_stuckley says:

in the scheme of some original six teams, 20 years isn’t too bad.  right leafs?  i’d like to win the cup, but i don’t need a cup to justify being a fan of this franchise.  life goes on in either case, no?

15. CERF says:

Come on Adam, i know you aint the biggest 31 guy here but calling him a “VET”? no one in there right mind thinks someone of the age of 23 a “vet”.. he does not even have a season of 60+ games under his belt. But i agree with the 4th season comment, its time he starts to show on a more frequent basis that he can shoulder the load of a true “vet”

16. nunacanadien says:

Sadly though the teams seems to win with Price on the bench or hurt.

17. ZepFan2 says:

You mean you didn’t like Jack ‘A$$’ Todd’s MMQB.

– Steven Tyler

18. LA Loyalist says:

I personally (and obviously many disagree) would build from goal out.

And with 82 games, injuries, even minor naggers,  travel, and long playoff rounds (hopefully), I just don’t think one good goalie is enough. Certainly the cap is a problem.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

19. Mattyleg says:

Yep, that’s what I’m hoping too!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. SmartDog says:

Thanks for all the reasonable responses (at least so far!) to my post.

If we always agreed it would be boring.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

21. joeybarrie says:

Do you want the Habs to go out and pick up a 6 million dollar back up by signing Thomas??? We have a B-Plan. Its called Alex Auld. He has a CAREER .904 SV% (not far from and better than other current STARTERS)… The Brilliant Boston Bruins thought enough of him to have him as their Back-up, so did the Canucks, Panthers, Senators and Coyotes. So why is it as soon as he gets to Montreal he is useless?

Players get injured, you can replace them. You can’t EXPECT them to get injured…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. Mattyleg says:

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. RGM says:

Come on, he’s no Jose Theodore in that department.

24. RGM says:

Well said. Like I said in my original post, if he lets in a bad goal, I don’t mind if 50 people rush to post about it. It’s going to happen. Heck, I’ve shaken my head more than once over some of the goals allowed. But a goal against is just that. We’ve got 18 guys whose job it is, in part, to register goals for. It’s all about sharing the load equally and everybody pulling their weight. There have been nights where we lost 3-1, Carey’s been one of the three stars, and he still got booed. As if that’s a just response. Sure, a shutout would have been nice, but it would have been nice too if one of the scorers potted 3 goals to put us over the top. Team game, let’s support ’em all.

25. BJ says:

I posted something along those lines a couple of days ago. It seems that when Price does let a soft shot in that not only does he seem to get down but the whole team along with him. With Halak the reaction was different. The team played as if they had more confidence.

26. SmartDog says:

Good facts, and I agree Price’s numbers are good for his age.  I think what’s frustrating with Price is a) that his numbers are not getting BETTER… b) the weight put on him by management (not his fault) and c) his own attitude.

So you’re facts are good, but the situation – like understanding Price’s own stats – is much more than numbers.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

27. Everlasting1 says:

Can’t attack the argument, so attack the person. You in politics?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

28. joeybarrie says:

I think all the players did something similar to Price by getting away. We simply did not hear about it, cause everyone is CONCENTRATING and WAITING for Price. Waiting to say something about him drinking, or Rodeoing, or Fishing or whatever. I did not see him, nor did he consult me prior to reporting to training camp about his current condition. I also did not read anywhere that he either put on or took off weight. I did not read anywhere that he did or did not get faster, smarter, quicker. So to assume he did nothing without actually knowing anything at all is not really particularly intelligent… In fact it’s down right not S-M-R-T…

Kind of bugged me that Halak did not face the media last season after all his losses, and when Price doesn’t do it in a PRESEASON GAME, we are all over him. Thats the kind of stuff that frustrates me.

Guys like Lapierre, White, Pyatt, AK, Gill get a pass, because we aren’t watching them and HOPING/WAITING for them to fall (which is inevitable). We aren’t paying attention to them so we concentrate on nonsense and half truths. NO ONE AROUND HERE KNOWS what condition Price came to camp in, so why are we making it up?

Yeah Price hasn’t looked great in his pre-season games. Yeah this worries me a bit, HOWEVER Halak hasn’t looked good either. BUT AGAIN he gets a pass, cause he is the Hero in all this.

Just so you know, my Hero’s wear BLEU BLANC ROUGE… And until there has been ANY type of consequence, why are we already bashing? HAVENT SEEN GOALS FROM CAMMALLERI or GIONTA YET… OH MAN DID WE EVER MAKE A MISTAKE BY PICKING THEM UP. They really haven’t helped us win any pre season games yet. What a waste….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. LA Loyalist says:

I have to be fair – you get funniest post of the day even though we probably disagree on the topic. thank you/merci

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

30. SmartDog says:

Of course Price did work out this summer.  No-one is suprised by that. But it’s still a risky thing for a ‘franchise goalie’ to be doing, no matter how you short or long the stint.

PS:  Yes, I engaged in a little dramatic hyperbole there.  I’m not a stats junkie.  I don’t aim for perfect when I write these
    things…. and being corrected in some areas is part of what I expect –
    it’s part of the dialogue.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

31. LA Loyalist says:

send us a postcard. :)

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

32. habs03 says:

“Guess what: this is Montreal. We care, probably too much – is it ok with you if we don’t make the playoffs for the next two or three years while Price has his growing pains?”

Well thats my point, IF Halak ends of being better than Price for the next 2-3 years but after that Price outplays Halak for the 7-10 years after that, did we make the right choice?

In regard to injury, well what if the Sabres lost Miller, what if Van City lost Lu for the year..

33. HabFanSince72 says:

He May …:   A possibility as distinct from a certainty.

34. RGM says:

I wish that were true.

35. LA Loyalist says:

Nice point about cowboys. Someone told me when we were learning to ride you have to get pitched 7 times to consider yourself a rider.

Let’s hope the cowboy way works with Price.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

36. quentin_stuckley says:

sather strikes again!

37. SeriousFan09 says:

If we had Halak, we’d have the same lack of choice for alternatives in nets, less so because Halak would have cost even more, costing the Habs depth elsewhere along the way. Right now, we need to count on Auld being better, or Mayer having a solid rise in HAM so he can step into the job sooner rather than later but that’s the case for many NHL teams.

Habs were fortunate to have both Halak and Price to tap into for 3 seasons but all NHL teams have to say goodbye to goal depth thanks to the salary cap. Bernier/Quick won’t last more than a couple years in LA likely, Kippur’s never had a capable backup in CGY and VAN? First time ever with Schnenider as the new backup that they might have something of a fallback if Luongo goes down.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. RGM says:

Thank you for saving me the trouble. Carey spent a significant portion of the summer on the ice in Kelowna with “the other PG” (Pierre Groulx) working on his game – he said exactly that in his post-signing presser. But it’s easier to say that he spent all his time at the rodeo instead of getting the facts in order.

39. RetroMikey says:

Definitely more than you.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

40. HabFanSince72 says:

I think the Avery contract is what got Brett Hull kicked upstairs in Dallas.

41. SmartDog says:

Fair points, fairly stated.

I don’t follow Ryan or Staal but it’s not the late signing that bothers me it’s the late signing with the scary start.

I’m not “living and dying on the year” based on two pre-season games.  I think there’s a good chance Price will get his sh$t together.  50-50 I’d say, really no-one can call it.

But I’m not going to censor myself either out of some concern that he might not like it, or it might make him a worse goalie.  And how much he prepared I don’t know but we all know his MENTAL preparedness is crucial… it’s frustrating to me that we don’t see signs of him having worked on that.  Or his glove.

We’re not privy to the details; all we can see is results.  I’m not being that tough on him I don’t think.  And I understand it’s pre-season.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

42. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s actually more coherent than Todd’s old Monday Morning Quarterback columns.

43. RGM says:

Price can accept letting in a goal. Goalies do that. Even George Hainsworth, he of 22 shutouts in one season, sometimes let in a goal. Habs fans need to accept that Price can get scored on and the team can still win.

44. habs03 says:

The issue is that its stuff to know that if stuff like that is true or not, stuff like how “Price is a prima donna”, some of the things are also misleading, ok Price did get away from it all by doing horsing events and so forth, but you forgot to mention that all summer he spent 5 days a week with the  team goalie coach. Its so hard for us fans to really know if how players think and so forth because we are not in the lock room, that is why I can’t put much vaule into bloggers as opposed to writers that are in the locker room with the players and interact with them.

45. adam76 says:

Great post, well said.  I agree 100%.

46. Clay4bc says:

Wow, what a stupid comment.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell —

47. LA Loyalist says:

P.S. thank you at least for a courteous and thoughtful post and for doing some homework instead of lowering yourself to the standard HIO cut and paste hate-mail.

P.S. I second the vote on Jack Todd’s article, it’s great and to the point exactly.

48. joeybarrie says:

While I usually find Jack Todd’s articles somewhat stupid, this one isn’t too bad. I really like him calling PG ‘Bob Lite’. Clever, made me laugh. He also makes a very good point about Booing. While I think it’s stupid, counter productive and hurtful to Boo a player in my colours. (thank Ian) His point of simply applauding along with your guys for no reason is equally stupid.

I just find that everyone saying how big a mistake it is so far for us to have gone with Price instead of Halak is pretty dumb, because first off, we haven’t even played a single REAL game yet. Second its not an easy concept to grasp why PG did it, but you have to assess the future in this situation. Halak was a 7.0B prospect and Price was a 9.0C. I gotta say, I agree with the idea of going with the potential superstar. In the end BOTH players have not really had any type of consistent greatness. To me its a coin toss.

In the end do you want to be judged by the fact you picked the 9th round draft pick over the 5th pick overall? It could go either way, but if Price does well and Halak does average PG looks like an idiot. If Price does average and Halak does well, it looks like PG stuck with the clubs original assesment in his first half year in the job, and made a dumb move.

That along with saving the cap space to sign Pleks and keep an option open for a needed player mid season is the reason why we have Price and not Halak.

Let’s see what happens in the first 20 games for each goalie, and compare then. To do it now before the season even starts is pretty dumb. Yeah we would love to see him playing great like Rask did, but I would rather have a goalie be HOT during the real season than pre-season. And since that remains to be seen, judging before hand is simply setting yourself up to look stupid.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

49. adam76 says:

The age is moot, he is a vet starting his 4th NHL season – however his championships at other levels is a positive.

50. LA Loyalist says:

And what if Price, by some miracle, rights his ship and plays great — and pulls a groin or a knee ligament. It’s easy to do.

We have no plan B – that’s bad management on its face. You call stubborness genius.

“time will tell’? Sure, if we were an expansion team in Kansas or Florida where no one cares.

That will be 20 years in Montreal without a Stanley Cup. Is that OK with you? Seriously, I’m asking, I need to order the t-shirts in advance.

51. Mattyleg says:

I agree with you that Price had a sense of entitlement that a good stint in the AHL would’ve battered out of him, but I think that he got his comeuppance pretty hard last season, sitting out and watching Jaro play.

I liked the fact that he took on Sergei for trying to leave the ice early during practice last year when he was a scratch (and when Price was backup), whcih shows that he respects the concept of paying your dues.

I hope that we see a more mature Price between the pipes this season.

I’d say that hanging with cowboys can check your ego at the door pretty quick.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. adam76 says:

based on what?  Not trolling – looking for things to be positive on.

53. Everlasting1 says:

Jack Todd’s article stinks. It reeks of common sense. No mention of the ‘cap factor’ cos it was never an issue, that much is obvious..except to the ones sipping love potion #31.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

54. SeriousFan09 says:

SD, he spent a bit of his vacation on that amateur rodeo circuit, not the entire time. There were stories printed that he spent weeks with goaltending coach Pierre Groulx and it was reported as he entered camp that he came in having taking his off-season conditioning seriously and arrived in good shape.

Price’s contract was signed before Marc Staal or Bobby Ryan had their deals done and was about par for the course for when it was finally signed due to the nature of RFA negotiations, an RFA’s agent will always hold out as long as possible to get the best possible deal for his client.

I’ve grown very tired of what the ‘right’ thing the players are supposed to say the media. People complain if they talk in cliches and if they actually express their opinions (Bisonnette’s 1st Twitter account and the departed one of Dan Ellis being prime examples) they’re in for no end of ****. What Price could say that would please some people after a loss would tick off another group of people who say he’s a nervous wreck or too flippant in his responses.

Living and dying on the year for 90 minutes of Priceexhibition action is taking it a bit far and we all need to wait out the pre-season and see what Price turns in for the rest of it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

55. Caballero says:

Price needs to accept that he can get scored on and the team can still win. It seems like when he gets scored on or makes a mistake, you may as well pull him right there because he will let in 3 more. He needs to be able to bounce back from these mistakes and shut the door. That’s one big problem he is having right now. He needs to build on some kind of foundation here but his goalie mojo is a house of cards.

56. awesomerino says:

“Hi, I’m Jack Todd. Blah, blah, blah, Vietnam. Blah, blah, blah, I hate everything. Blah, blah, blah, I’m drunk. Paycheck, please!”

57. Johnny_D says:

The day I place any importance on what Jack Todd or Réjean Tremblay say about the Habs, is the day that I root for another team. I don’t mind criticism, but when that’s all you know how to do, then I believe you know nothing.

Can somebody look through archives and pull one article from these guys that says something good about the Habs?

Can somebody deny that we are talking about difficult performances during TWO GAMES of the bloody pre-season?

Come on, that’s like rating my golf game in April, after six months of not hitting a ball.

58. Mattyleg says:

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. Habfan29 says:

Thanks Dave, me thinks that the Habs need a goalie coach whom actually played in the NHL, not practiced, hell I have been a goalie for 38 years and I could play in a practice….time for NHL expereinced goalie coach, what are the chances that the habs hire Roy to help Price?

60. smiler2729 says:

Price this, Price that. Just play freakin’ hockey and that means the whole team, have fun, it’s a game.

Sometimes you’ll win, sometimes you’ll lose. There will be heroes, there will be goats but in the end, as long as you compete (and isn’t that why you are all hockey players?), you’ll be fine.

61. habs03 says:

I know it’s been said again and again, but the guy is 23 years old, 23 years and entering his 4th season in the NHL, look at other goalies that were drafted a year before or after him, Cory Schneider, was suppose to be a future star, has played 9 NHL games and is 24 years old, Steve Mason one of the worst goalie’s last year remember how good he was as a rookie, still only 23, Jackets should trade him for a bag of pucks.. Jonathan Bernier, best goalie in the AHL last year, 22 year old, not a single NHL season under his belt, Tukka Rask, drafted the same year as Price, just finished his rookie season, Rask amazing rookie year but just 1 NHL season. People need to understand goalie’s don’t peak until 25,26,27, Ryan Miller had 6 NHL wins at Price age, Playoff hero Halak had his breakout year at age 25, why wasn’t Halak stealing the show at 22-23, don’t say he wasn’t given a chance. I’m not saying Price is going to be better than Halak or be best goalie out of the group of goalies i mentioned earlier, but people need to realize that when the Habs trade Halak, they knew, and anyone knowledge hockey fan can see that they KNOW Halak is probably going to be the better goalie for the next 2-3 years, but they project that Price will be playing at a higher level in the years after that. Whether they are right or wrong, time will tell, I just hope they made the right choice, but with that said, I can say I am so happy that management has the guts to make a choice and stick to it, forget hockey skills, but from a PR stand point, from a marketing stand point, from a business stand point, Halak should have been signed and Price traded, yet the Molson, P.G. etc didn’t take any of those factors into consideration when making their choice, which makes me happy knowing that the team won’t make choices based on want the fans want in things such as having more of a French team and so forth, I know some might not agree with that just my opinion.

62. Matt_in_TO says:

Avery makes $4 million?!

– In Price We Trust

63. nunacanadien says:

I think the Gazette editors are now learning what the wives of hockey fans already knew on April 23, 2009, that Price is in a slump.  Whether that slump costs him his pro career with the Habs is hard to forecast.  I can predict though that Price’s backup will again play starter this year and our official number 1 goalie will have his stats carefully protected, like some former Russian General of old, at least the media is calling it like it is and not spewing the Bob Gainey view of the world.

64. RJ says:

Jack Todd’s piece truly tells it like it is.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

65. HabFanSince72 says:

I said Price may have potential.

66. Jordio-oh says:

If pre-season meant anything, Viktor Stalberg would have been last years hart trophy winner. But he was traded away for 50 point hopeful, Kris Versteeg.

67. CERF says:

the confidence in his “abilities” come from a successful hockey carrier in every level hes played in (not including the NHL.. mind you that’s where it counts) however he still is 23 years old.. goalies hit their stride at 25+ years of age. I still have faith in our boy, just take it all with a grain of salt.

who knows! in 1-2 years from now(or this year) he might be winning us cups to the point where we have to book our tickets on ST.CAT a year prior!

68. Matt_in_TO says:

But there’s no outlet pass in figure skating.

– In Price We Trust

69. SmartDog says:

– A rebuttal to RGM –

I have three kids.  One of them almost always thinks of other people.  Even though she’s only 8 years old, when someone smashed my window and stole my laptop out of my car she insisted on giving me 5 bucks to help pay for the repairs. Wouldn’t let me say no.  Another one usually thinks of others, is very polite, apologizes easy, shares always, and holds being fair as REALLY important.

The third one… is a good kid, pretty much is happy with whatever comes her way which is great… but is really good at looking after HER and just her.  She seems to have trouble understanding why other people might not be happy with her no matter waht she does. She doesn’t quite seem to get any of the rhythm of responsibility and accountability that came so easily to the other two. She’s just different that way.  When she does get corrective feedback she often breaks into giant tears as if she’s been slapped.  She’s getting better but it teaching her accountability is going to take a long time.

To me, this is Carey Price.  While other improving players show up in camp with more muscle, more speed – more of whatever they know they need to become – Price shows up having spent the summer “getting away from it all” by rodeoing. Kind of an odd way for an athlete to spend the off-season given the potential for serious injury, and also that most athletes seem to like to avoid the spotlight in the summer.  Price’s contract takes a LONG time to sign and when finally signed is for more than most people think is reasonable.

His responses to the media show the kind of flip stuff you get from Gomez.  But Gomez, for as much as I don’t like his signing, has paid his dues.  He’s a bonafide NHLer and has a record of success to prove it.   Price is a prima donna. Which is fine.  IF you really can bring the house down.  IF you’ve shown by your performance that you deserve it.

And while it’s not right to boo him or call him names or any of that – and don’t put me in the  camp of the small number of people who do those things – I think it’s perfectly find to say Price has me freakin pissed off/worried/frustrated… and that he needs to play better. He needs to shut his cake hole unless it’s to deal honestly with what’s going on.  He needs to stop acting like a prima donna and cowboy up on the ICE.

He needs to fight for his pride and EARN it back on the ICE.  He needs to stop acting as if he knows he’s better than all of this.  He’s as good as his performance and no better and he needs to accept that.  If that makes him mad, if it makes him break things or punch things or cry on the phone to his mom than he needs to do those things.  But this blanket of calm, this “everything is okay, I sleep fine” BS is, as much as anything, what pisses me off.

Price has the physical tools to be a great NHL goalie and he HAS shown that.  But he’s also shown that he’s a boy when it comes to facing certain kinds of situations.  For me, he’s taken his annointment as our #1 and turned it into $5.5 million. And that says “I’m ready”.  But he doesn’t LOOK ready.  And to me, letting him know that became fair game the day he signed that (inflated) contract.   So be ready Carey or take the crap.

And by the way, you don’t look ready either for the season or for the media. Hear it. Suck it in.  And STILL play great. THEN you can be a Prima Donna say whatever the f-k you want to the media and we’ll all laugh with you.   Until then, you get what you deserved.  The 5.5 million isn’t free money.  And it’s not for punching the clock.  It’s for being accountable and that means working on your weaknesses and getting better.

For a couple of guys that meant putting on bulk. For you that means working on actually listening to feedback and figuring out how to turn the pressure into firey play and win games.  Oh, and your glove hand could use some work too.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

70. SeriousFan09 says:

Much like Guy Lafleur before him, he could only unleash his true potential when he could ditch the helmet as he skates and let his hair flow freely!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

71. pic1983 says:

I know its still early, but this is definitely a candidate for quote of the day.  I got a good chuckle out of it:

“But Avery said referee Paul Devorksi told him that he had gotten his 10-minute misconduct for going after a superstar. “He specifically told me I got it because [Kovalchuk] is a superstar, and I can’t go after a superstar,” Avery said of the dialog that took place in the box with 9:07 to go in the second. “I told him I make $4 million. I’m a superstar, too.””

72. Cam_1 says:

Habs fans cheer on the Habs …Hab fans don’t boo Hab players…Leaf fans do !!!

73. shootdapuck says:

Same percentage as the fishermen who destoyed the Atlantic fishery take!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

74. larisalapointe says:

Totally agree. Just as an example, last night I had someone tell me I was stupid, and it is because of stupid fans like us that Halak was traded. I was dumbfouned, this guy is one of the nicest guys I know. And we often discuss hockey. Most people ask me what I think because last year I made a few predictions and they all came true. (Part watching hockey a long time,part intuition, part luck lol) Being someone I knew a long time, I accidentally took the bait. What’s funny is he could not reply to my points without getting angry and emotional and insulting me personally, that is why below I posted that it has become a social phenomena. What makes reasonable men and women go bonkers when what they wanted doesn’t happen? I believe the goalies are not just goalies. The one you believe in speaks more about yourself than his talents you believe him to have or not have. It is all about the fan, and not the success of the team. I’m very dissappointed with all the negativity.