Let’s try it with Pyatt

Points to ponder while waiting for Christopher Higgins to get his first point of the season:

Tinkering with Gomez line

Would Guy Boucher be a winner here?

Hockey history for sale

Markov not ready just yet; how much is he worth

PP has to get going

• Like everyone else, Guy Carbonneau likes AK46

• Pierre Durocher on Josh Gorges

• Canadiens 10th (up from 18th) in SI power rankings

• J.T. on the concussion epidemic

Rick Rypien shoves linesman, goes after fanThe Shoe Incident and others

And best wishes from all of us at HIO to Serge Touchette of ruefrontenac.com. Get well soon, Toosh!

JI7lpSmTNXE

1. avatar_58 says:

Maybe Gomez should pass to his wingers and let them do all the zone work right? Ala Koivu?

Oops…did I say that?

2. SmartDog says:

Good point!  Rollie the Generous!

And I’ve said THIS before… who’s more over-rated?  Luongo or Fleury?  I don’t really care about the answer.. they just both belong together.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

3. SmartDog says:

WANTED: 2nd LINE WINGER!

Must be able to hit, skate, shoot. Patience is also an asset for this position as your center will want to skate circles in the ice before he decides whether to enter the offensive zone.  Do not apply unless you have the ability to receive passes from all angles and directions, bat pucks out
    of the air, and accept pucks dished at your feet when surrounded by three
    defending players also required. Must be willing to battle on the boards but also to move out of the periphery (with or without line-mates). Former third and fourth line players with the ability to turn a 50-60 point center into a 70-80 point center will be given preference. Scoring an asset, but not necessarily required.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

4. Mattyleg says:

One other thing:

I mentioned this late last night, but didn’t hear much back.

Any coincidence that Luongo just let in 6 goals on 18 shots AND that Rollie Melanson just started as the goalie coach for the ‘Nucks?

Is it Rollie’s fault, d’yez reckon?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. LNev says:

Yup:

However regretable and crappy, A Head shot is still part of the play… It is part of the game of hockey and happens in context on the ice.

Touching/Assaulting a fan:

Player Sued.  Coach Sued.  Team guy plays for Sued. League Sued.

And depending on how & where the game is played and arena ownership issues:

Home Team sued. Arena Sued. Security Sued.

Plus the league looks foolish.  (10 games, +3 for the linesman and i wish they’d give him +5 for the sucker punch… but i’m cruel… I would have started the season suspending Camelleri for 5… and Doan would be sitting a hell of a lot longer then 3…)

6. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, that’s not bad…

I also think that Cammy needs to calm things down a little bit when he gets the puck high on the side. He seems to rush things.

I’ve seen AK do it a bit, and I’d like to see Cammy and Gio try it: The Kovy Loop. Remember that? He’d get the puck on the boards and circle. He’d drift down for a shot, and if there was none, he’d swing back around, then drift back down again. If there was a shot, he’d zing it in after having lulled the defense into a false sense of security. If he missed, there’d be rebounds to bang in.

THAT’S what I’d like to see.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. newbrunswick troy says:

Ok , so lets all us “arm chair quarterbacks” take a shot at fixing the power play, me first: Yes the key is using the point…and the habs do that, good, but the point is realy only effective when a big hulking forward is in front of the net (not kind of in front, but smack in the screen of the goalie,taking some jabs from a defender)…this the habs don,t do well cause Gio is just to small!!  Our defence needs to be more mobile and rotate down low looking for the “quick pass” to the back door or slot and they must have a quick release shooter to one-time the puck “cammy or Pleks”

there that easy all solved>>>>>>what do you guys think?????

8. Mattyleg says:

Of course not, hardly a direct analogy. More of an allusion…?

Perhaps by getting Pyatt to fill that role, however, somebody else on the team might step up to do a better job at it once it’s been established. Halpern, Boyd…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. newbrunswick troy says:

ya with the habs in a “down week”  it makes for a good story ,,,,we need something juicy to read about!!

come on Boone lets start another good rumor!!!

10. Skotbot says:

Mr. Boone! you didnt finish your sentance

Pyatt is not remotely Holmstrom YET

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

11. avatar_58 says:

How does Pyatt go from being scratched for Darche – to suiting up on a top line? I do not for the life of me understand Martin.

12. Skotbot says:

no terms to circulate yet huh? Side note: Markovs english has gotten significantly better. or actually, let me re-phrase that: He seems to have more confidence speaking english.

Oh and Josh… your signature.. Cammalleri no E at the end. i think Cammallerie is the feminine punctuation of his name :P

13. avatar_58 says:

It’s not really news. We all know he’ll sign.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov’s agent denied this to Pierre Lebrun, whose word I will take over Marinaro’s hackwork any day of the week.

- “Agent Don Meehan just denied to me reports of Andrei Markov signing extension soon with Habs.”

- “Meehan: I have not had any negotiations whatsoever with Montreal. These reports of a signing are absolute nonsense.”

- “Obviously Meehan and Habs GM Pierre Gauthier plan to talk contract for Markov but it just hasn’t happened yet.”

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. Mike Boone says:

I think your point is valid, but Pyatt is not remotely Holmstrom

16. Mike Boone says:

And Don Meehan, Markov’s agent, told RDS’s Renaud Lavoie there have been no contract talks with the Canadiens. So who’s fibbing?

17. Skotbot says:

hmm good example.

my posts below were not in that train of thought. I guess not having a player go to the net in the past years (constantly & effectively) has jaded my opinion lol

18. joshua94k says:

Breaking News: Markov ready to sign Contract Extension

According to the Fourth Period, Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov appears close to signing a long-term contract extension that will keep him in Montreal for another five to six seasons. According to Montreal sports radio host Tony Marinaro, Markov will “definitely” sign a new deal with the Habs.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

19. Mattyleg says:

To reiterate what I’ve said a few times, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have a grinder on the GG line.

Pyatt’ll go to the net to screen Gio’s shots, and tie up bodies for Gomer to make plays.

If we put Poupou or Eller on there, all the opposition needs to do is hit us.

Think Zetterburg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. ZepFan2 says:

I’m talking about your statement that MAB’s Dee can only improve.

Why can’t O’Byrne’s D not improve?

Also, not every D-man is Orr. Some are stay at home D-men.

Considering it’s only been 5 games into the season, and knowing we’re going to be acquiring a PP-QB D-man (Markov), why would we go after a one-trick pony like MAB?

————————————————————————–

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

21. Chuck says:

Alternatively, if you make a mistake, play it three more times so that everyone thinks that’s what you meant to do.  :)

Centre Hice: One fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

22. Everlasting1 says:

One trick is better than no tricks. The pp is the real issue. MAB’s 13g , 21 assists in 60 games last year is better than what O’Byrne brings.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

23. habaddict_andy says:

That sounds exactly like my post.  Three years at 6mn then reduce it to 4mn and then 3mn for the remaining year.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Aside from Cammy and Gionta, AK is the only guy who has the talent to be a pure scorer for the Habs, we need more than two of them and frankly, I’m not sure if Hartnell’s personality would fit in with the Habs locker room.

Andrei’s getting it going this season and it could be a mistake to drop him, he’s got a stable home life which is a huge difference for a player’s peace of mind and dropping him just means we lose the triple-attack benefit of the AK-Pleks-Cammy line to give the Gio-Gomez line their winger, at a higher cost and the valuable asset we dealt to get Hartnell. Pacioretty, Schultz and others are being looked at as that power forward, gatecrasher for the team on low salaries, I’d say see what swings out of their development in a season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. pic1983 says:

Their D is a joke! Not trading lecavalier was the dumbest thing they ever did.  Either that, or in keeping levacalier, I think they would have been better off drafting doughty over stamkos, and than duchene over hedman, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Ive said time and time again, why would you sign your franchise center to a ridiculous deal, only to draft a franchise center when you know you have huge holes on defense and nothing in the pipeline? I guess thats why Brian Lawton is out of a job.

26. TomNickle says:

I think the contracts have been handled very well.

Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri have four years left.

Gainey and Gauthier have structured the contracts so that they have a summer with a ton of money to spend again, twice actually.

This upcoming summer we presumably have Markov’s and Hamrlik’s contracts come off the books.

Over $11 million right there.  Considering the number of players on one year deals, it would appear that we’ll have around $20 million with the following players under contract.

Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec, Cammalleri, Eller, Moen, Price, Subban and Spacek under contract.

We also have players in Maxwell, White and Emelin who will be ready to join the roster barring any unforeseen circumstances.

My guess is that a couple of RFA’s get traded and Hamrlik doesn’t get brought back.

I would bet that the cheaper option between Pouliot and Kostitsyn stays.

27. pic1983 says:

Well it certainly wouldn’t hurt to inquire as to what his value is around the league.  Don’t forget, this guy has missed significant time the last few years.

I love Markov, but business is business, and if theres a trade that make sense, than it only makes sense to do it.

28. Storm Man says:

Look up mab.com so you can understand my post.

29. Nilan4Pres says: