Let’s try it with Pyatt

Points to ponder while waiting for Christopher Higgins to get his first point of the season:

Tinkering with Gomez line

Would Guy Boucher be a winner here?

Hockey history for sale

Markov not ready just yet; how much is he worth

PP has to get going

• Like everyone else, Guy Carbonneau likes AK46

• Pierre Durocher on Josh Gorges

• Canadiens 10th (up from 18th) in SI power rankings

• J.T. on the concussion epidemic

Rick Rypien shoves linesman, goes after fanThe Shoe Incident and others

And best wishes from all of us at HIO to Serge Touchette of ruefrontenac.com. Get well soon, Toosh!

JI7lpSmTNXE

1. TomNickle says:

I forget which game, might have been against the Pens.  Pouliot was supposed to be the high man in the offensive zone and committed down low too quickly and got caught a couple of times.

Hasn’t made the mistake since from what I’ve seen.  I really like the way he’s been playing and I don’t think we have many forwards outside of Pleks and AK who’ve been going better.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

Didn’t we trade for Ian Schultz to develop so we could make our own Hartnell? Too many big contracts in the Top 6 already and the team needs to have cap space to retain Gorges and Markov for next season plus pursue and sign Alexei Emelin to an EL contract with bonuses.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

3. TomNickle says:

You think Letang’s lazy?  I really disagree.  Would love him on this team and the Pens got him at a serious bargain.

Kronwall ain’t all bodychecks Mikey.  He might be the best defenseman the Wings have, and that’s saying something.  He rarely makes the wrong play.

Burns needs a change of scenery in my opinion.

But like I said with those players not named Doughty, Keith, Weber, Green and Johnson, the other team would have to sweeten the pot for me to trade Markov to them.

4. oshawahabsfan says:

I’d be interested in Penner, always liked Lupul from his junior days, I’m just wondering how he’ll be once he returns from a pretty serious surgical procedure

5. TomNickle says:

If they don’t think it’s a crisis they should look no further than retired NFL players who suffered numerous concussions and now can’t dress themselves when they get out of bed.

6. SlovakHab says:

I think that Hartnell is better than Hunter, Clowe and Lupul.

As for Penner, I don’t see him available and he is less consistent than Hartnell, imo.

7. TomNickle says:

Checks to the head appeared to me to be exactly what Chuck was referring to in his response.

And not necessarily all of the dirty variety.

8. mike g says:

Tom, that’s only obvious…

If Nashville’s gonna give Weber away for Markov, nobody in the Habs’ org. would say no. No brainer. But the problem is, Nashville would never do that and we both know it. Same goes for Doughty, Keith, etc…

Your other guys like Myers and Hedman, same goes for them. Their franchises would be shooting themselves in the face if they trade 19 year old fututre Norris winners for a player who’s past 30.

None of those trades would happen.

And no thanks to Lazy Letang, Seabrook, Kronwall and Burns. They’re all good defenseman, but don’t bring the total package at the blueline like Markov does, especially offensively.

So to answer your question, Markov isn’t untradeable. I’d swap him for others, but those players are untouchable.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

9. SlovakHab says:

I agree with that, Mike!

“You can do your best to eliminate hits where the players are vulnerable and hits that are dirty.”

This is a key point as far as I’m concerned.  You can change the rules and try and have more consistent enforcement, but it really comes down to the mindset of the players.  They have to realize that they are all in this together and each NHLer is as vulnerable as the next.  It’s no longer a case of trying to get an edge on the play, but rather the long term health and well-being of the individual player.  I think that is what Chuck was trying to alude to in his comment.  You also wonder what role (in terms of taking the lead) the NHLPA might play in dealing with this crisis.  And for those who don’t think it’s a crisis, I would suggest that you check out JT’s past threads that have dealt with this topic.

Sadly, the league and the players have been unable (or unwilling) to put their words into action.

11. TomNickle says:

Why would we want Hartnell at $4.2 million annually when we could reasonably pursue a Trent Hunter, Ryan Clowe, Dustin Penner, Joffrey Lupul?

And one more guy who I think will be the next above average power forward in the league.  David Jones.

12. oshawahabsfan says:

I’m sure even if Pyatt starts the game with G&G, he probably won’t finish it there, as was the case with Moen. Pouliot has been doing everything right, just hasn’t scored. However it’s not like his linemates were lighting it up exactly. Pouliot is the right fit for that line as he does have size (and has been using it a lot so far) the mobility and the hands to compliment G&G. If however Martin finds it doesn’t work I would like to see a third line composed of the younger players- Pouliot, Eller, and Lapierre. A third line that could do a bit of everything I imagine, including providing secondary- or would it be tertiary scoring, which is much needed for prolonged success

13. Storm Man says:

If he get’s a haircut.

14. JF says:

Agree with you about Hartnell, but what makes you think the Flyers would trade him – unless it was for Carey Price?

15. RGM says:

Nobody’s saying that checks to the head are going to be legislated out of the game. It’s a fast game, these things will happen. What everybody wants to get out of the game are those hits that deliberately target the head in an attempt to injure a player.

Case in point – the Hjalmarrson/Pominville hit is something that they want to eliminate. Not five minutes after Pominville was carted off the ice, 6’9″ Tyler Myers destroyed a guy with a perfectly clean shoulder-to-chest hit. The big galoots of the NHL are going to smoke people from time to time, and they will have to ensure that–even in the speed and immediacy of the moment–they do so within the rules, or they will receive discipline.

16. joeybarrie says:

The big concern is like you said. If he is a little injury prone, wont that just get worse as he ages? If we are doing ok with Hamr at 5.5 million at 36, I gotta say having Markov at 6.75 when he is 36-37 is great. So I hope for the shorter contract. PLUS if he is still doing GREAT, we can maybe get something good for him when PK and our other younger d’s get into their prime years.

The thing that stuck out at me is Gorges for 3.5 – 4 million. I love Gorges, and maybe my mentality is to under rate him, but I feel thats too much for him. Especially since he is a RFA,  I would like to see us stay 3 or under…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

17. ooder says:

how many did Weber play?

——————

88 is the new 23

18. mike g says:

LMAO…

O’Byrne will not ALWAYS check St-Luois, Tom.

You know it, and I know it. Bad example with OB, mon ami…lol…

Aweye Tom!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

19. TomNickle says:

As always when discussing something like this it would depend on the return Mike.  Somebody posted the question yesterday would you trade Markov for Shea Weber straight up.

My reply was yes, and it was a reflex response because it’s such a no brainer.

Doughty, Keith, Weber, Erik Johnson and Green are the only defensemen in the league that would prompt me personally to trade Markov straight up.

Others that I would consider if the other team sweetened the pot would be….

Myers, Bogosian, Carlson, Hedman, Letang, Seabrook, Pieterangelo, Suter, Kronwall, Jack Johnson, Burns and Edler.

20. mike g says:

The player you are all looking for is Scott Hartnell…

Costs 4.2 million $, and if I was the Habs I’d swing a deal for him right f’king now. Make the cap space for this guy, and nobody here will regret it. He’s the tough SOB that this team has needed for over a decade. He hits, defends his teammates, parks his bum infront of the net, and picks up a bunch of garbage goals.

Perfect linemate for the Gomez-Gionta line. He’s gonna skate straight to the net, let Gio and Gomez do all the passing, and just stirr up stuff infront. No need for Gomez or Gionta to fight anymore in order to defend themselves, Scott would take care of that.

Trust me, I watch a ton of Flyers games. This guy is the missing piece to our top 6, he’s the only guy in the league that is available through trade and can fill our biggest void.

And, he would be a fan favorite in this city.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

21. Storm Man says:

You must be on the decaffeinated coffee plan today. :)

22. TomNickle says:

You cannot eliminate checks to the head.  Chara will always bodycheck Gionta.  O’Byrne will always check St.Louis.

You can’t stop a player from lowering their stance while in stride in an effort to gain strength in limiting the force of the opponents check and you can’t stop players from missing the shoulder when these players can change direction or stop on a dime.

That’s about as far as you can go.

23. TomNickle says:

Ian.  The cap will never go down with the CBA constructed the way it is.  When a new deal gets done, the cap might get capped.

Since the cap is specifically tied to league revenues and the players have an option wherein they can use their own piece of the pie to increase it, it will never go down under the current CBA.  The cap going up increases player salaries.

24. mike g says:

WOW..

I took a full week vacation from this site, and I return today hoping to see that I’m ready to take the challenge again with a free mind and fresh ideas.

And I get welcomed back with people hoping that Markov is traded.

I’d rather someone just farted in my mouth instead of hearing stuff like that.

It’s official, HIO will never, ever make sense….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

25. Chuck says:

There has to be a way to get this out of the game for good. Players lives are at stake. The whole idea about the NHL allowing head shots, as long as they’re not from the blind side, is absolutely ridiculous. The human brain doesn’t discern from which side it’s been hit. It just sloshes around in your skull, absorbing damage from all sides.

If they can make the players accountable for their sticks, then surely they can do the same for their contact with another player’s head.

This is a league that once allowed players to skate without absolutely no head protection, so good on them for eventually mandating helmets, then helmets that actually do what they’re supposed to do. Next step: shields for every player. And neck guards.

Centre Hice: One fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

26. mike g says:

How many games did Price play last playoffs?

And now all of a sudden, he’s our most important player this year.

Last year is last year. Don’t compare anything that happened in the playoffs last year to anything that will happen in the future. The Habs were a sports world miracle last year, riding on the back of a hot goaltender and opportunistic scoring. We see teams do this every year in sports, big underdogs beating heavily favored teams.

Markov not playing in the PIT and PHI series last year means nothing. Even if he was there vs Philly, were losing that one. You coulda even put Gretzky on our team, and the Flyers still beat us because they were a solid all-around team. The Habs were riding the miracle train, and there was no gaz left in the tank.

If you really think replacing Markov will be easy, think again. How’s Anaheim doing Since they lost Pronger and Neidermayer? Or Edmonton, since they lost Pronger? Or St-Louis since they lost Pronger? Or Ottawa since they walked away from Chara? Or Dallas once Sergei Zubov turned 84 years old? Or the Devils once Neidermayer and Stevens left?

There’s a handful of defenseman in the league that you simply cannot replace overnight. Markov Falls in that category, whether you appreciate him or not.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Fan Summit Updates  Check The Summit Page

The Gainey Foundation Raffle and Donations.

Markov will be 32 1/2 when he signs his contract.  The following year the CBA comes up for renewal.  We have watched many other teams give our ludicrous contracts that pay guys 6-7M when they are 39 or 40.  Are we about to make the same mistake?

Brian Campbell is not a good example to use.  That is one of the worst contracts since the lockout and I’m sure that Bowman would love to dump it.  Markov has about three good years left before he starts to decline.  You also have to wonder if he’s a little injury prone.  It’s a tough spot to be in because he’s our best player and we will certainly need him if there is going to be a Cup run in a few years.  You also have to consider that we only have one decent young Dman under the age of 25 – Subban.  If we let Markov go, it will probably mean that we will have to hit the UFA market.  Which means we will land up overpaying for some other guy.  The option of doing a front loaded contract may be difficult seeing that Bettman is finally putting his foot down.

I say we offer Markov 6.75M for 4 years.

Hamrlik will come off the pay grid at 5.5M.  That’s an extra million for Markov and another 2.5M for Gorges.  That leaves 2M to get a tough, gritty Dman to replace Hamrlik.  There should be a few around come early August.

5.5 mil for 4 years to secure Markov, if he wants to stay. The cap is on its way down.

30. Storm Man says:

I would be out of a job if that was true.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

In Luongo’s defence, he played for FLA and playing there is like the ultimate bad-luck curse on a player’s career.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. joeybarrie says:

8 points in 8 playoff games… Can you imagine if we had him for the Pitts and Philly series… We probably wouldn’t have been so banged up and drained when we went to play Philly, and he would have IMMENSLY helped us against them.

24 points in his last 26 games last season… He was on fire.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

33. SeriousFan09 says:

7 1/2, damn those Russians and their weak-willed ACLS!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. joeybarrie says:

Markov, Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Kaberle, and Pitkanen all become UFA’s July 1st. Market might be saturated.

Plus I believe you are wrong about Markov. He has averaged 59 points on 82 games in the last 5 years. He is a plus 25 in the last 5 years and is the key to our strongest aspect of our game. He has more PP and PK time then anyone on our team per game. Losing him would be a terrible mistake. Who would replace him?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

35. newbrunswick troy says:

or maybe the only dress 15-17 skaters like the rest of the nhl????

36. newbrunswick troy says:

Oh wow …i just found Martins, email  its :  ” my way or the pine @ habs . com”

37. Jbird says:

Seriously correct.

38. Hammer says:

Is it an actual concussion epidemic or have they finally started to take concussions seriously. All on has to do is look at the barbarism in the NFL this past weekend and the actions of the Commish to realize that in all leagues the concussion is FINALLY being realized as more than a two Tylenol headache.It is now been taken seriously, thus the “epidemic”.

Solid 3rd lines help win Cups.

40. newbrunswick troy says:

I,m all for that….now does anybody have “J.M,s” email???

41. Jbird says:

Not more than you are suggesting.  I suspect that this talk (Canadian Citizenship) of a hometown discout is true and that he won’t be getting too much, if any, raises from his current salary.  4 years 5.5.  It’s a deal, I know.  He could get more if he left MTL – but I doubt he will.

42. newbrunswick troy says:

First of all i do agree …someone doesn,t believe in Pouliot,thats obvious, but they had publicly better make some positives about him cause “like so many others” this will turn to a language thing and Pouliot will be caught in the middle with too much distractions to work out his kinks…..then shipped off to the Wild or Dallas to go on to a 30goal year……witch is probly what “Lats” will have!!!!

43. fbkj says:

^

okay this is where a +/- feature would be truly beneficial

44. mike g says:

Thanks for cracking me up…

Trade Markov for Weber?! No kidding it would be a great deal for us, thanks for pointing that out Mr. Obvious!

And following the trade, Nashville’s GM would get fired on the spot, and never find a job in the world of sports again.

Seriously man, if you’re gonna throw around trade proposals, make sure they are possible deals.

And if you think trading Markov will make us a better team, think again. The only reason why this team has had sucess in the past couple of years is because of the PP. And the powerplay is Markov, that’s it. It wasn’t Kovy, Streit, MAB, or Sourray. The one constant producing player on the PP for the past 7 years has been Markov.

He’s out now, and our PP is last in the league. No matter how well we’ve strated, if the PP doesn’t shape up there won’t be any playoffs.

No to trading Markov. Plain and simple.

Have a great day.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Dump possibly the best PP quarterback in the NHL and the best mentor P.K. Subban could ask for in a skating defencemen’s role, yeah that makes sense. Canadiens had the luckiest break of the draft in 20 years picking up Markov as a 6th-rounder, makes no sense to deal him right now unless we get a huge return and we won’t get a huge return unless he has a big season, at which point he’ll be pending UFA and have low trade value.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. newbrunswick troy says:

ya that was for sure a crazy good power play year for the habs!!!Kovy did have that ability to role down low and create both time and space!!!! you know i bet you could get Kovy for a song and a bucket of pucks right now givin the Sens woes

47. joeybarrie says:

Now we come into an interesting part of the Markov saga. We are doing pretty good right now, but have a few holes to improve upon. The way Markov affects our team when he is back from injury will show how much we are gonna have to pay him. I’m guessing 6.5 – 7 million. Brian Campbell is a good example. He gets 7.1 million. Dan Boyle in San Jose, 6.6 million.

Would we be happy with 6.75 million for 4-5 years  or  6.25 million for 5-7 years???

Or is it gonna take more?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

48. jimmy shaker says:

PP fix = MAB

Simple as pie

Shaker

49. SmartDog says:

Why not put Moen in front of the net on the firs wave.  He’s big, a good scrapper and can bang in pucks.  That would also leave some fire power for the 2nd wave (Kostitsyn?)

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

50. SmartDog says:

On Wall Street they dump their most important asset as a rule?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

51. SmartDog says:

Yes. Markov English much better today.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

52. Le_Sportif_De_Salon says:

Well,

Speaking of Markov’s value, I really think we should trade him as soon as he is back. I wrote a piece about that before the seaon (LINK), my trade scenarios are no good anymore with the Ryan extansion but I’m sure there is a market for Markov.

Somebody mentionned a swap for Shea Weber and that would be a great deal for us. Weber is, by any standards, better and younger than Markov is, altough more expensive.

I never was a Markov enthousiast and his stock lowers by the minute. Like in Wall Street, we should sell now and use the money for a turnaround.

53. Le_Sportif_De_Salon says:

Well,

54. SmartDog says:

Desperation…

And methinks someone doesn’t believe in Poulio.  Not sure if that’s Martin or Gio or Gomer.  But if they believed in him, he’d still be there.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

55. avatar_58 says:

Maybe Gomez should pass to his wingers and let them do all the zone work right? Ala Koivu?

Oops…did I say that?

56. SmartDog says:

Good point!  Rollie the Generous!

And I’ve said THIS before… who’s more over-rated?  Luongo or Fleury?  I don’t really care about the answer.. they just both belong together.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

57. SmartDog says:

WANTED: 2nd LINE WINGER!

Must be able to hit, skate, shoot. Patience is also an asset for this position as your center will want to skate circles in the ice before he decides whether to enter the offensive zone.  Do not apply unless you have the ability to receive passes from all angles and directions, bat pucks out
    of the air, and accept pucks dished at your feet when surrounded by three
    defending players also required. Must be willing to battle on the boards but also to move out of the periphery (with or without line-mates). Former third and fourth line players with the ability to turn a 50-60 point center into a 70-80 point center will be given preference. Scoring an asset, but not necessarily required.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

58. Mattyleg says:

One other thing:

I mentioned this late last night, but didn’t hear much back.

Any coincidence that Luongo just let in 6 goals on 18 shots AND that Rollie Melanson just started as the goalie coach for the ‘Nucks?

Is it Rollie’s fault, d’yez reckon?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, that’s not bad…

I also think that Cammy needs to calm things down a little bit when he gets the puck high on the side. He seems to rush things.

I’ve seen AK do it a bit, and I’d like to see Cammy and Gio try it: The Kovy Loop. Remember that? He’d get the puck on the boards and circle. He’d drift down for a shot, and if there was none, he’d swing back around, then drift back down again. If there was a shot, he’d zing it in after having lulled the defense into a false sense of security. If he missed, there’d be rebounds to bang in.

THAT’S what I’d like to see.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. newbrunswick troy says:

Ok , so lets all us “arm chair quarterbacks” take a shot at fixing the power play, me first: Yes the key is using the point…and the habs do that, good, but the point is realy only effective when a big hulking forward is in front of the net (not kind of in front, but smack in the screen of the goalie,taking some jabs from a defender)…this the habs don,t do well cause Gio is just to small!!  Our defence needs to be more mobile and rotate down low looking for the “quick pass” to the back door or slot and they must have a quick release shooter to one-time the puck “cammy or Pleks”

there that easy all solved>>>>>>what do you guys think?????

61. Mattyleg says:

Of course not, hardly a direct analogy. More of an allusion…?

Perhaps by getting Pyatt to fill that role, however, somebody else on the team might step up to do a better job at it once it’s been established. Halpern, Boyd…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

62. newbrunswick troy says:

ya with the habs in a “down week”  it makes for a good story ,,,,we need something juicy to read about!!

come on Boone lets start another good rumor!!!

63. Skotbot says:

Mr. Boone! you didnt finish your sentance

Pyatt is not remotely Holmstrom YET

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

64. avatar_58 says:

How does Pyatt go from being scratched for Darche – to suiting up on a top line? I do not for the life of me understand Martin.

65. Skotbot says:

no terms to circulate yet huh? Side note: Markovs english has gotten significantly better. or actually, let me re-phrase that: He seems to have more confidence speaking english.

Oh and Josh… your signature.. Cammalleri no E at the end. i think Cammallerie is the feminine punctuation of his name 😛

66. avatar_58 says:

It’s not really news. We all know he’ll sign.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov’s agent denied this to Pierre Lebrun, whose word I will take over Marinaro’s hackwork any day of the week.

– “Agent Don Meehan just denied to me reports of Andrei Markov signing extension soon with Habs.”

– “Meehan: I have not had any negotiations whatsoever with Montreal. These reports of a signing are absolute nonsense.”

– “Obviously Meehan and Habs GM Pierre Gauthier plan to talk contract for Markov but it just hasn’t happened yet.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

68. Mike Boone says:

I think your point is valid, but Pyatt is not remotely Holmstrom

69. Mike Boone says:

And Don Meehan, Markov’s agent, told RDS’s Renaud Lavoie there have been no contract talks with the Canadiens. So who’s fibbing?

70. Skotbot says:

hmm good example.

my posts below were not in that train of thought. I guess not having a player go to the net in the past years (constantly & effectively) has jaded my opinion lol

71. joshua94k says:

Breaking News: Markov ready to sign Contract Extension

According to the Fourth Period, Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov appears close to signing a long-term contract extension that will keep him in Montreal for another five to six seasons. According to Montreal sports radio host Tony Marinaro, Markov will “definitely” sign a new deal with the Habs.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

72. Mattyleg says:

To reiterate what I’ve said a few times, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have a grinder on the GG line.

Pyatt’ll go to the net to screen Gio’s shots, and tie up bodies for Gomer to make plays.

If we put Poupou or Eller on there, all the opposition needs to do is hit us.

Think Zetterburg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom!