Let’s try it with Pyatt

Points to ponder while waiting for Christopher Higgins to get his first point of the season:

Tinkering with Gomez line

Would Guy Boucher be a winner here?

Hockey history for sale

Markov not ready just yet; how much is he worth

PP has to get going

• Like everyone else, Guy Carbonneau likes AK46

• Pierre Durocher on Josh Gorges

• Canadiens 10th (up from 18th) in SI power rankings

• J.T. on the concussion epidemic

Rick Rypien shoves linesman, goes after fanThe Shoe Incident and others

And best wishes from all of us at HIO to Serge Touchette of ruefrontenac.com. Get well soon, Toosh!

JI7lpSmTNXE

1. LA Loyalist says:

If deflections are luck then why do all teams practice them?

2. LA Loyalist says:

He didn’t go to the net. He went to the corner, and with splayed legs and nothing on it threw it at the net – not complaining, that’s what he should have done.

But don’t infer, imply or revisionize that he ran the table like Guy Lafleur then deked the goalie out of his Depends (TM) and then slid the biscuit in the basket — because then we really will worry.

3. LA Loyalist says:

He did the right thing, throwing it at the net, but sheesh you can’t possibly be hanging your hat on that to pump up Gomez.

The goalie completely whiffed it, 100%.

4. LNev says:

Yup:

However regretable and crappy, A Head shot is still part of the play… It is part of the game of hockey and happens in context on the ice.

Touching/Assaulting a fan:

Player Sued.  Coach Sued.  Team guy plays for Sued. League Sued.

And depending on how & where the game is played and arena ownership issues:

Home Team sued. Arena Sued. Security Sued.

Plus the league looks foolish.  (10 games, +3 for the linesman and i wish they’d give him +5 for the sucker punch… but i’m cruel… I would have started the season suspending Camelleri for 5… and Doan would be sitting a hell of a lot longer then 3…)

5. ZepFan2 says:

I’m talking about your statement that MAB’s Dee can only improve.

Why can’t O’Byrne’s D not improve?

Also, not every D-man is Orr. Some are stay at home D-men.

Considering it’s only been 5 games into the season, and knowing we’re going to be acquiring a PP-QB D-man (Markov), why would we go after a one-trick pony like MAB?

————————————————————————–

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

6. Chuck says:

Alternatively, if you make a mistake, play it three more times so that everyone thinks that’s what you meant to do.  :)

Centre Hice: One fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

7. Everlasting1 says:

One trick is better than no tricks. The pp is the real issue. MAB’s 13g , 21 assists in 60 games last year is better than what O’Byrne brings.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

8. habaddict_andy says:

That sounds exactly like my post.  Three years at 6mn then reduce it to 4mn and then 3mn for the remaining year.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Aside from Cammy and Gionta, AK is the only guy who has the talent to be a pure scorer for the Habs, we need more than two of them and frankly, I’m not sure if Hartnell’s personality would fit in with the Habs locker room.

Andrei’s getting it going this season and it could be a mistake to drop him, he’s got a stable home life which is a huge difference for a player’s peace of mind and dropping him just means we lose the triple-attack benefit of the AK-Pleks-Cammy line to give the Gio-Gomez line their winger, at a higher cost and the valuable asset we dealt to get Hartnell. Pacioretty, Schultz and others are being looked at as that power forward, gatecrasher for the team on low salaries, I’d say see what swings out of their development in a season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. pic1983 says:

Their D is a joke! Not trading lecavalier was the dumbest thing they ever did.  Either that, or in keeping levacalier, I think they would have been better off drafting doughty over stamkos, and than duchene over hedman, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Ive said time and time again, why would you sign your franchise center to a ridiculous deal, only to draft a franchise center when you know you have huge holes on defense and nothing in the pipeline? I guess thats why Brian Lawton is out of a job.

11. TomNickle says:

I think the contracts have been handled very well.

Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri have four years left.

Gainey and Gauthier have structured the contracts so that they have a summer with a ton of money to spend again, twice actually.

This upcoming summer we presumably have Markov’s and Hamrlik’s contracts come off the books.

Over $11 million right there.  Considering the number of players on one year deals, it would appear that we’ll have around $20 million with the following players under contract.

Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec, Cammalleri, Eller, Moen, Price, Subban and Spacek under contract.

We also have players in Maxwell, White and Emelin who will be ready to join the roster barring any unforeseen circumstances.

My guess is that a couple of RFA’s get traded and Hamrlik doesn’t get brought back.

I would bet that the cheaper option between Pouliot and Kostitsyn stays.

12. pic1983 says:

Well it certainly wouldn’t hurt to inquire as to what his value is around the league.  Don’t forget, this guy has missed significant time the last few years.

I love Markov, but business is business, and if theres a trade that make sense, than it only makes sense to do it.

13. Storm Man says:

Look up mab.com so you can understand my post.

14. Nilan4Pres says:

They are developement specialists 😛

15. ZepFan2 says:

“his dee can only improve.”

So MAB has been in the league over 5 years is 4 years older than O’Byrne and his D can improve but O’Byrne’s can’t!?

MAB is a one trick pony. It’s his shot and that’s it!

————————————————————————–

16. SLONCOLD says:

you missed my point. i’m happy he scored. but you can’t justify that he is playing super well because of one goal.

if you think gomes is on top of his game right now and can’t play any better we’re in trouble because montreal needs alot more out of gomes.

17. avatar_58 says:

Can you imagine if the habs signed Kaberle and he burned them every game?

18. Everlasting1 says:

What pp? 1 of 17? Not gonna cut it.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

19. joeybarrie says:

Who gets the credit then?  WE GET THE POINTS. Trust me, if you don’t think it matters ask the Pens about it. Why is it the Tampa Bay Lightning are coached by a GENIUS when those goals go in, but we don’t give credit to one we had that gave us a win…???

Go to the net we say… WHY DON’T WE HAVE ANY GUYS WHO GET THE GRITTY UGLY GOALS. Then we selectively choose not to include it when our favorite overpaid whipping boy does it???

LOL if you want to, but its the difference between 6th and 10th right now… Also prevented Pitts from being in first place.

I know your not the one to do this, I know you’ll take any goal we can get. But alot around here selectively choose when its ok to have some of the guys, and then as soon as they go down a bit bash them left and right.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

20. samTHEman says:

Gomez isn’t playing that bad. He isn’t winning as many battles along the boards as he should but he is setting up linemates that aren’t cashing in on opportunities. It’s too bad.

Demoting Gomez to the 3rd line won’t solve anything. There are better measures to solving the problem.

21. Storm Man says:

Im not sure how mab.com is going to help the development of the Habs powerplay.

22. TomNickle says:

Right after he shoved a linesman.

23. pic1983 says:

That’s actually a really good point, but $4 million is still too much in my books.  We have too many RFA’s to be throwing money around all over the place.  Can you imagine if Ak46, Pouliot and Lapierre all have great seasons? We better pray that our prospects are ready for full-time work next season, otherwise we are done for.

Gainey and co have actually done a horrible job at staggering their contracts.  We could very well have to overpay our current defensemen to keep them or re-build our defense from scratch this summer just like we rebuilt our offense two summers ago…

24. joeybarrie says:

YES IT IS WORSE THAN A HEAD SHOT.

First of, is the replies are correct. It isn’t comparable to a head shot because it was not against another player.

It was against a paying patron of the game who is considered to be innocent. If it had been another fan sluggin him there would have probably been legal charges filed. Still might be. It was assault pure and simple.

Roy Keane was suspended 15 games for kicking a fan years ago in soccer in England. This isn’t much different, although its much less of an offense on the spectrum.

HOW IN THE WORLD IS THE NHL NOT GOING TO COME DOWN AS HEAVILY AS THEY CAN AGINST THIS? Its an attack on a fan, and it’s absolutely unacceptable. Head shots, dirty shots, bad hits and the like are something that needs to be punished. However, in the heat of the game and in the competitivness of it all its easy to get out of control. AGAINST FELLOW PLAYERS.

Going after a fan??????  Not in the same ballpark. What if this professional athlete was allowed to go ahead with his assault for a few more seconds? Would he have punched him in the face? Knocked him out? You drop the gloves and your saying YES I will fight you fairly and openly. You ATTACH SOMEONE… and well, you attacked someone.

In Minnesota its assault and if he had his stick in his hand it would be aggravated assault. Which is a felony.

Now that is an exaggeration, however, it would not surprise me that the fan sues him. The bottom line is he crossed a line in the sand drawn farther out than head shots…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

25. SLONCOLD says:

uhm. i mentioned yesterday that i take all goals however they come. My point is not to overlook his overall play because he scored on a low percentage shot  which won a game (1 in 100 in my eyes).

Other than that goal he’s been invisible and not creating chances and i’m sorry but he has to be much better on this team. hope this clarifies my previous post

26. Say Ash says:

hey, it’s prettier than picard’s

27. SmartDog says:

There’s a quote from Henry Ford (think it was) where he says “I learn much more from my mistakes than my successes”.  My partner and I had a guy named Paul that we hired who turned out to be TERRIBLE.  He couldn’t get ice to melt this guy, everything he did went wrong.  For the (short) time he was with us we had a joke about it. My partner would say enthusiastically “Wow! That Paul sure is learning a LOT today.”  And I’d say “Yeah! I think Paul’s learned more today than I think I’ve learned in the last year!” At least he made us laugh.  I wonder which McDonalds he’s working at now.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

28. SLONCOLD says:

i don’t know if hartnell can skate with gomez and gionta. he’s not a first or second line player in my eyes.

ps. AK has looked good lately. i think he’s targeting your side bet on the over under on points!

29. Everlasting1 says:

I’d also approve of his return and his dee can only improve.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin